Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Just how large Khan’s lead would be without ULEZ? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,546

Drivers are patiently waiting to see whether King Charles will introduce new laws to protect road users and improve the state of motoring in the UK.
    https://www.gbnews.com/lifestyle/driving-law-changes-kings-speech-impact

Does GB News fully understand our constitutional settlement? "Drivers are patiently waiting" is bad enough.

Protect road users? Charlie's going to announce a default 20mph limit in England? :wink:
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

I believe the principle is that you charge VAT on services. Education is a service. How silly for people to be wailing and gnashing about the outrage of treating one service the same as another service.

Educational services are mostly exempt or zero rated. For example, I did not pay VAT on the fees for doing my MA.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,384
    edited November 2023
    RWP said:

I think that Hall would get more votes if she had a running mate called Oates, ideally shorter with darker hair and a dodgy 'tache.

Obligatory I can’t go for that, no can do.

Edit: bugger, pipped again!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,157
    edited November 2023

The small, rural state comprehensive of which I am a Governor will be delighted to welcome any former private school pupils together with the £5,700 per year additional funding they will bring… their engaged and demanding parents won’t be a bad thing either…

"Small animal hospital" problem. Where is the "small, rural state" in which your comprehensive is set? I'm figuring Rhode Island... :)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,044
    Selebian said:

Called it, see yesterday’s thread.

Labour’s policy is screwing over working class kids.

Why panicked private-school parents are fighting each other for a place at the local comp

Labour's plan to charge VAT on fees has sparked a scramble for the top state schools – and put the independent sector in peril

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education-and-careers/2023/11/06/labour-vat-tax-policy-private-school-state-parents-student/

Yet another example of the "ULZE / Minimum Wage / GDPR / pick-your-own-issue will bring about the end of the world" syndrome, I highlighted earlier.
    Family member (deputy head at a leading London private school) has an interesting take on this - just one take, of course, but part of his job is managing numbers and applications.

As he sees it,some of their parents will be priced out, but they are planning to go to the next school down (in fees) as it were and - in most cases - for the next child rather than moving the current one, although some would be forced out more quickly. He has no worries about filling those places as they have more applicants than they can accommodate and can fill their places with, particularly, families from overseas (China in particular) wanting to send their children. So he sees a cascade effect, where the top schools fill in from unmet demand and a section in each school move down to the one below (at the bottom some transfering to state). So he sees more kids in state education, but doesn't think there will be much overall effect on the private sector numbers - possibly some problems for those at the bottom really not adding value versus state for the fees.

If correct, this would mean more kids to accommodate in the state system (but well under 1/5th of current private numbers, so the VAT on fees should more than cover those costs) and increased overseas income from more foreign pupils attending the top private schools.

He's a signed up member of the metropolitan remoaner liberal elite, but centrist in views - e.g. voted for Justine Greening when in Putney. He's ambivalent overall on the VAT on schools issue; thinks reviewing charity status would make more sense.
    There's a big drop off coming real soon in Secondary demand also. Most State schools are full right now. But won't be very soon for purely demographic reasons.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,081
    Sean_F said:

Why panicked private-school parents are fighting each other for a place at the local comp

Labour's plan to charge VAT on fees has sparked a scramble for the top state schools – and put the independent sector in peril

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education-and-careers/2023/11/06/labour-vat-tax-policy-private-school-state-parents-student/

Yet another example of the "ULZE / Minimum Wage / GDPR / pick-your-own-issue will bring about the end of the world" syndrome, I highlighted earlier.
    Hmm. Not so sure about that. Unlike the ULEZ issue, we know that VAT on private schools will have a big impact on both the schools and the parents and it seems inevitable it will put more pressure on the state sector schools. So whther you agree with private education or not, from a practical point of view I very much doubt it will do anything to help wider education spending or improve the lot of state schools.
    It's not intended to boost state schools. It's intended to deliver a poke in the eye, to people they don't like.
    Starmer is very good at party management and this is a party management issue. To win a GE he needs his party's ground game to be strong and for that he needs enthused activists.

So he's got to give them some policy red meat and it has to be a policy that gives them a political prostate massage, doesn't cost anything and doesn't cause him to shed votes on the right. No VAT on private schools ticks all of those boxes. Like fox hunting did for Blair.

The fact that it c*nts off that middling section of the bourgeoisie who send their kids to private school without really being able to afford it is just a bonus. 👍
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sean_F said:

Hmm. Not so sure about that. Unlike the ULEZ issue, we know that VAT on private schools will have a big impact on both the schools and the parents and it seems inevitable it will put more pressure on the state sector schools. So whther you agree with private education or not, from a practical point of view I very much doubt it will do anything to help wider education spending or improve the lot of state schools.
    It's not intended to boost state schools. It's intended to deliver a poke in the eye, to people they don't like.
    Starmer is very good at party management and this is a party management issue. To win a GE he needs his party's ground game to be strong and for that he needs enthused activists.

So he's got to give them some policy red meat and it has to be a policy that gives them a political prostate massage, doesn't cost anything and doesn't cause him to shed votes on the right. No VAT on private schools ticks all of those boxes. Like fox hunting did for Blair.

The fact that it c*nts off that middling section of the bourgeoisie who send their kids to private school without really being able to afford it is just a bonus. 👍
    I agree, it’s showing a bit of leg, like the hunting ban.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Sean_F said:

In a way they will be paying three times.

First the tax they pay that helps pay state schools. Secondly, they forgo the benefit they have paid for but won't use and thirdly the VAT on the alternative option chosen.

Whether you agree with that comes down to ideology of course.

As a smallish-state liberal, I think for me this comes a tad to close judgementally saying 'this is what we, the state, provides and this is what you SHOULD use' rather than supporting individual choice; though I find this one a tricky issue and am open as always to be persuaded otherwise.
    It really pisses me off that I get charged three times for cycling to work
    1. I pay the tax/NI that helps pay for knock on effects of car use on society
    2. I forego using the car myself for the commute
    3. I pay VAT on the damn bike and accessories
    :wink: but we all pay for things we don't use through the collectivism of tax - even your private school attendees are benefitting from the UK having a state school system - through state school doctors looking after family members, state school plumbers (if not Polish!), state school employees, state school plebs to do all the menial jobs
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,093
    edited November 2023
    dixiedean said:

Selebian said:

Family member (deputy head at a leading London private school) has an interesting take on this - just one take, of course, but part of his job is managing numbers and applications.

As he sees it,some of their parents will be priced out, but they are planning to go to the next school down (in fees) as it were and - in most cases - for the next child rather than moving the current one, although some would be forced out more quickly. He has no worries about filling those places as they have more applicants than they can accommodate and can fill their places with, particularly, families from overseas (China in particular) wanting to send their children. So he sees a cascade effect, where the top schools fill in from unmet demand and a section in each school move down to the one below (at the bottom some transfering to state). So he sees more kids in state education, but doesn't think there will be much overall effect on the private sector numbers - possibly some problems for those at the bottom really not adding value versus state for the fees.

If correct, this would mean more kids to accommodate in the state system (but well under 1/5th of current private numbers, so the VAT on fees should more than cover those costs) and increased overseas income from more foreign pupils attending the top private schools.

He's a signed up member of the metropolitan remoaner liberal elite, but centrist in views - e.g. voted for Justine Greening when in Putney. He's ambivalent overall on the VAT on schools issue; thinks reviewing charity status would make more sense.
    There's a big drop off coming real soon in Secondary demand also. Most State schools are full right now. But won't be very soon for purely demographic reasons.
    Something like a 10% deduction if I look at the figures for 11 year old pupils and 5 year olds https://explore-education-statistics.service.gov.uk/data-tables/school-pupils-and-their-characteristics/2022-23?subjectId=25b9c86f-6235-4690-a62f-08db5b647393 (not sure how long that data set will persist).
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,157
    @rcs1000

Remember what I said about AI-generated YouTubes? Have a look at this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6dUPjTVhK8

I think everything is AI-generated: the script, the voiceover, the pictures.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,979

Nigelb said:

Anne Frank kindergarten in Germany discusses changing name, sparking uproar

https://www.politico.eu/article/anne-frank-kindergarten-germany-change-name-uproar/
    ...According to television outlet n-tv, the city council said that some parents and employees requested to the change the name. The daycare center manager Linda Schichor said that children struggle to understand the name, while parents with a migration background often don’t relate to Anne Frank, German media Volksstimme first reported over the weekend. “We wanted something without a political background,” Schichor said...

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but a 65 year old Jewish man looks to have been killed by a pro-Palestinian protestor near LA

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1721732090176123299

There was a protest and some sort of scuffle. To quote:

“Witness accounts indicated that Kessler was involved in a physical altercation with counter-protestor(s),” the sheriff’s office said. “During the altercation, Kessler fell backwards and struck his head on the ground.”
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I believe the principle is that you charge VAT on services. Education is a service. How silly for people to be wailing and gnashing about the outrage of treating one service the same as another service.

Educational services are mostly exempt or zero rated. For example, I did not pay VAT on the fees for doing my MA.
    Yeah, it's one of the reasons I'm not massively in favour of VAT on private education - I'd prefer a thorough review of charity status, although that would be a lot more complicated and harder to push through.

You do pay VAT on most professional courses, though. At least, I have generally for courses through my employer (these have generally been part of NIHR -> NHS -> state funded fellowships, so it's just money going round in a big circle,* but there you are).

*which is also why VAT on university fees, although a logical extension of VAT on private school fees, doesn't really make much sense, as the government - in practice - pays the fees in general. It would enable adding 20% on to the notional loans, I guess, but just another 20% that would never get repaid by most.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251

On topic - I think we need more polling. Khan is not popular. However, ULEZ has happened and the world has not fallen in. Instead, lots of people have found out they are not affected.

What’s more, Hall seems to be a cross between Braverman and Truss, pro-Trump and pro-Brexit. She’s not exactly the ideal candidate for London.

As I say, though, Khan is unpopular and has been as ineffective as his predecessor. He’s vulnerable and would probably lose to a more mainstream Tory or to a right-of-centre independent like Rory Stewart. If I were Hall, I’d forget ULEZ and go hard on crime.

Corbyn won’t stand. If he did it would mean immediate expulsion from the Labour party and he wants to keep his membership for as long as possible.

How many times do we hear "if this gets implemented the electorate will be up in arms" only for the issue to be forgotten 3 months after implementation? Minimum wage and GDPR spring to mind as other examples.

It was obvious that ULEZ would be forgotten after a couple of months, as I posted in August. And so it is proving.

It makes me think Labour should be much bolder: Wealth tax, rolling NI into ICT, phase out private education, replace the HoL with an elected assembly. They's probably get away with all of those since most people would be unaffected or better off.
    Putting VAT on education is one thing. I make no comment about that. But making private education unlawful would be unlawful under the ECHR.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214

The small, rural state comprehensive of which I am a Governor will be delighted to welcome any former private school pupils together with the £5,700 per year additional funding they will bring… their engaged and demanding parents won’t be a bad thing either…

Unless it is rated outstanding they won't touch it with a bargepole
  • Options

I am bemused to read that the King’s speech will contain hardline sentencing measures. We all know that this is pure political posturing. They want a wedge issue to try and portray Labour as being soft on crime.

Which is funny. The Tories have presided over a collapse in the criminal justice system. Cuts have removed capacity in the CPS and the courts, and even access to legal representation. Cases taking an eternity to get to trial, and then judges instructed not to send serious offenders to jail as they are full.

The usual question- do the Tories really think voters are that stupid? And don’t the polls show that the majority can see right through them.

They're proposing tougher sentences for sexual offences. Remind me, how many sexual offences have Tory MPs been done for or are being investigated for...?
  • Options

I am bemused to read that the King’s speech will contain hardline sentencing measures. We all know that this is pure political posturing. They want a wedge issue to try and portray Labour as being soft on crime.

Which is funny. The Tories have presided over a collapse in the criminal justice system. Cuts have removed capacity in the CPS and the courts, and even access to legal representation. Cases taking an eternity to get to trial, and then judges instructed not to send serious offenders to jail as they are full.

The usual question- do the Tories really think voters are that stupid? And don’t the polls show that the majority can see right through them.

They're proposing tougher sentences for sexual offences. Remind me, how many sexual offences have Tory MPs been done for or are being investigated for...?
    Experts in the field...
  • Options
    Chris said:

Don't panic. Once the private schools go bust and are taken into public ownership and converted into comprehensives, the daddies' little lambs will be able to go back to them.
    Why can't we let failing comprehensives go bust instead? Not just turn them into academies where they often still fail. If they don't perform even after that close them
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,098
    Dura_Ace said:

Sean_F said:

You mean they;; have more disposable cash for online tuition ?
    You old capitalist. :smile:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Don't panic. Once the private schools go bust and are taken into public ownership and converted into comprehensives, the daddies' little lambs will be able to go back to them.
    Why can't we let failing comprehensives go bust instead? Not just turn them into academies where they often still fail. If they don't perform even after that close them
    Er.
    Because the pupils would literally have nowhere else to go?
  • Options

So this is also about party management ?

Don't think Rishi is quite operating at Starmer's level.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Er.
    A mere detail.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,860

Sean_F said:

No this is just posh people making it all about themselves, as usual. The idea is to raise more money for state schools, which the privately educated Tory Cabinet seems not to consider worthy of more money for some mysterious reason. I look forward to my kids' education being properly resourced by a government that treats them as the priority, not the 7% who attend private schools. Also good to correct an unjustifiable anomaly in the tax system.
    No - it's a fairy story that independent schools are only attended by "posh people".

I've pointed this out repeatedly.
  • Options

Sad because the one thing you could rely on from the posh in the old days was a certain amount of sang froid, a stiff upper lip, a coolness under fire. Now they're all getting hysterical over having to pay VAT on school fees like they're facing the Black Hole of Calcutta. Where is David Cameron when you need him to tell them to Calm Down, Dear. Seriously, if the poshos can't keep calm and carry on what is the point of having them at all?
    I think the problem, as always, is the nouveau riche*

*mais ils ne sont pas assez riches :disappointed:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Cookie said:

RWP said:

I think that Hall would get more votes if she had a running mate called Oates, ideally shorter with darker hair and a dodgy 'tache.

When I lived in Broxtowe, I was in a two member ward represented by Stephen Doo and Lynda Lally. I often wonder how delighted the Broxtowe Labour Party must have been to have paired those two up.
    Yes, there were wry grins about that. Just for your interest - I'm having supper with the Lallys tonight - they've retired as councillors but in good health.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533
    Dura_Ace said:

Sean_F said:

I suppose it had to happen at some stage. Someone has verbed c**t.

Anyway, big day for you on Saturday. Have you got your handwritten banner ready and got some supplies in for the kettling.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Er.
    Up the chimneys.
  • Options
    Blimey, Germany's PMI is just 38.

Brace in eurozone.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Er.
    Up the chimneys.
    Startling lack of proper chimneys now; not the opportunities there once were for early school-leavers :disappointed: It's very hard to fit your average school child up a wood burner flue, unless you really push for malnutrition. And the mines have mostly gone too :cry:
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024

Brace in eurozone.

Ouch!

Note to German government, you might want to throw everything at letting the Ukranians win the war, and not antagonise the Saudis by refusing to export Typhoons at the same time.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,023
    Selebian said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Er.
    Up the chimneys.
    Startling lack of proper chimneys now; not the opportunities there once were for early school-leavers :disappointed: It's very hard to fit your average school child up a wood burner flue, unless you really push for malnutrition. And the mines have mostly gone too :cry:
    The primary reason why child obesity is a threat to long term productivity
  • Options
    Good Morning all.

Fascinated by how Rishi thinks he's going to get away with a hanging and flogging appeal when his administration has undermined prison capacity by undermining Court capacity leaving 15k in prison on remand, and has just told Judges to stop sending so many people to prison. Deckchairs on the Titanic?

I saw one reported last week of a drugged up, tanked up killer who got a suspended sentence.

There seems to be another Fail Mary Pass incoming about forcing disabled people into work for which they are not capable. It seems that someone in Government does not like the outcomes of Work Capability Assessments, so they are going to tweak the algorithm to give the 'right'* answers.

* not a political allusion - a note that the logic is backwards.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,073
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sean_F said:

I suppose it had to happen at some stage. Someone has verbed c**t.

Anyway, big day for you on Saturday. Have you got your handwritten banner ready and got some supplies in for the kettling.
    Been verbed for decades, for anyone familiar with UK military. Though I can't remember just which arm of which service. And I don't want to google it.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Good Morning all.

Fascinated by how Rishi thinks he's going to get away with a hanging and flogging appeal when his administration has undermined prison capacity by undermining Court capacity leaving 15k in prison on remand, and has just told Judges to stop sending so many people to prison. Deckchairs on the Titanic?

[snip!]

It is actually a rather brilliant piece of forward planning.

After the election, when the revolution comes, there will be lots of Tories on trial for feathering their nests with Boris's dodgy Covid / PPE contracts. This way, with zero capacity in the prison estate, when they are all found guilty they will only have do a bit of community service rather than 10 years inside.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,870
    MattW said:

Sean_F said:

No this is just posh people making it all about themselves, as usual. The idea is to raise more money for state schools, which the privately educated Tory Cabinet seems not to consider worthy of more money for some mysterious reason. I look forward to my kids' education being properly resourced by a government that treats them as the priority, not the 7% who attend private schools. Also good to correct an unjustifiable anomaly in the tax system.
    No - it's a fairy story that independent schools are only attended by "posh people".

If you are claiming Rishi Sunak was not posh once them I suspect you are right. His entitlement absolutely originated from his schooling.

And that's the issue. Private education has failed Britain in a massive way over the last few years, perhaps decades and there has to be some payback, some generated market pressure for reform for these essentially failed institutions.

I went to university from a working class town but Tory sympathetic, thinking there was some underpinning to their philosophies. But then I saw for the first time the segregated and clueless idiots (not to mention the idealogues) that would take that flame forward and that wasn't for me, and it confirmed me in my journey to a left centrism. And the last few years shows they learned nothing from three decades of supposed maturity, they are the same segregated, clueless idiots they ever were.

So your have your diversity: black, privately educated lawyers, politicians, accountants, musicians, gay privately educated lawyers, politicians, accountants, musicians. And the private education sector, very international, provides that production line of identikit diverse people.

So, it is not to be kicked just because, it is to
    be driven in a certain direction because it has
    failed us and continues to fail us, badly.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

https://www.politico.eu/article/anne-frank-kindergarten-germany-change-name-uproar/
    ...According to television outlet n-tv, the city council said that some parents and employees requested to the change the name. The daycare center manager Linda Schichor said that children struggle to understand the name, while parents with a migration background often don’t relate to Anne Frank, German media Volksstimme first reported over the weekend. “We wanted something without a political background,” Schichor said...

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but a 65 year old Jewish man looks to have been killed by a pro-Palestinian protestor near LA

“Witness accounts indicated that Kessler was involved in a physical altercation with counter-protestor(s),” the sheriff’s office said. “During the altercation, Kessler fell backwards and struck his head on the ground.”
    The protestor beat the dead guy with his megaphone.

And then when the body was being taken away, the protestors hung around and chanted around where he had fallen, and the blood was still present:

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1721732987862094263

Still, I'm sure you would have the same tone if it was a pro-Palestinian protestor killed by a pro-Israeli demonstrator in a similar situation................
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Nigelb said:

You two aren't looking far enough ahead. 4-D chess innit. The crim MPs won't be serving their sentences.

PS: Ah, Beibherli got there before me!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

@rcs1000

Remember what I said about AI-generated YouTubes? Have a look at this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6dUPjTVhK8

I think everything is AI-generated: the script, the voiceover, the pictures.

I thought it was going to be a movie. It is just a series of images with a dodgy voiceover.

It would make a great corporate brochure.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

MattW said:

Sean_F said:

If you are claiming Rishi Sunak was not posh once them I suspect you are right. His entitlement absolutely originated from his schooling.

And that's the issue. Private education has failed Britain in a massive way over the last few years, perhaps decades and there has to be some payback, some generated market pressure for reform for these essentially failed institutions.

I went to university from a working class town but Tory sympathetic, thinking there was some underpinning to their philosophies. But then I saw for the first time the segregated and clueless idiots (not to mention the idealogues) that would take that flame forward and that wasn't for me, and it confirmed me in my journey to a left centrism. And the last few years shows they learned nothing from three decades of supposed maturity, they are the same segregated, clueless idiots they ever were.

So your have your diversity: black, privately educated lawyers, politicians, accountants, musicians, gay privately educated lawyers, politicians, accountants, musicians. And the private education sector, very international, provides that production line of identikit diverse people.

What utter rubbish. Our private schools are amongst the best schools in the world, hence parents from all over the world send their children to them.

They certainly don't send their children to the bog standard British comp. What is needed is more free schools, more grammars and closing failing state schools, not attacking our excellent private schools as is the usual Labour way of dragging down to the lowest common denominator
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Er.
    They would, better state schools, free schools etc

We need more choice and more of a market in education not less
  • Options
    Susan Hall? What was the thinking? Even if she wasn't a mad Trumpite/Trussite she seemed poorly equipped. Where are the Tory big beasts?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Selebian said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Er.
    Up the chimneys.
    The primary reason why child obesity is a threat to long term productivity
    Also they don't fit under the power looms to clean up the mess and tie broken warps without having to stop the machine.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Good Morning all.

I saw one reported last week of a drugged up, tanked up killer who got a suspended sentence.

There seems to be another Fail Mary Pass incoming about forcing disabled people into work for which they are not capable. It seems that someone in Government does not like the outcomes of Work Capability Assessments, so they are going to tweak the algorithm to give the 'right'* answers.

Those under 12 months sentence only will be encouraged to receive community sentences if first time offenders, whole life sentences will be introduced for murderers with a sexual motive etc
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Er.

They are all full.
    How much extra tax would you be willing to pay to ensure there was spare capacity (both in facilities and manpower) to accommodate an entire school in every LA just in case one of them "fails"?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,870
    edited November 2023
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Er.

Actually, on this one, what HYUFD says does happen. I believe failing schools can't just academise themselves unreformed on failure, but are pushed towards joining established MATs.

If there is no MAT that accepts the challenge, the school literally does close. This was the fate of one comprehensive school local to me.
  • Options

Susan Hall? What was the thinking? Even if she wasn't a mad Trumpite/Trussite she seemed poorly equipped. Where are the Tory big beasts?

The thinking was a CCHQ stitch-up on behalf of a man who subsequently fell foul of #MeToo claims after which Susan Hall was the last woman standing.
  • Options

It shows Sunak does not even have the political nous of Cameron. When the Tories first called for nominations to be their candidate for the mayoral election of 2008, Nick Ferrari emerged as the likely candidate. Cameron extended the deadline, resulting in Mike Read being the likely candidate, so Cameron extended the deadline again, and Boris Johnson became the candidate.
  • Options

They tried to stitch-up the nomination for one of Cameron’s old SpAds, but then he got into a scandal and had to drop out.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    Dura_Ace said:

Sean_F said:

The effects will vary across the country. Quite a concentration of private schools in Edinburgh for instance. I imagine the boarding schools will concentrate on attracting foreign students which is what the higher ranking Scottish universities are doing. All of a piece. Whether this serves the wider interests of the country i'm not so sure.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,126
    HYUFD said:

MattW said:

Good Morning all.

Those under 12 months sentence only will be encouraged to receive community sentences if first time offenders, whole life sentences will be introduced for murderers with a sexual motive etc
    Community service would be a great deal more useful if it was combined with remedial education….. in the wider sense. Privatisation of the probation service, and underfunding it since renationalising, is just part of the wholesale destruction of our criminal justice system over the past few years.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Brace in eurozone.

Ouch!

Note to German government, you might want to throw everything at letting the Ukranians win the war, and not antagonise the Saudis by refusing to export Typhoons at the same time.
    A Saudi order doesn't help the Germans much as Saudi jets come off the British FAL. The German FAL will be busy with the 38 'Quadriga' jets for the GAF until 2027 so they don't have the same political hemorrhoid that's on the verge of bursting like the British do with the imminent end of Eurofighter production at Wharton. The UK government don't want to be forced into a follow on Typhoon order, as they surely would be if the alternative were shuttering Wharton, as that will fuck up Tempest which is already running on the whiff of an oily rag when it comes to finances.

Airbus D&S would get to make 48 x centre fuselage sections in Germany for whatever that is worth.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Sean_F said:

The effects will vary across the country. Quite a concentration of private schools in Edinburgh for instance. I imagine the boarding schools will concentrate on attracting foreign students which is what the higher ranking Scottish universities are doing. All of a piece. Whether this serves the wider interests of the country i'm not so sure.
    The current system does not seem to be serving the wider interests of the country so we might as well change it. Hopefully we might get an improvement...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Er.

Who is creating these better state schools?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

And then when the body was being taken away, the protestors hung around and chanted around where he had fallen, and the blood was still present:

Still, I'm sure you would have the same tone if it was a pro-Palestinian protestor killed by a pro-Israeli demonstrator in a similar situation................
    What are the American police doing? For one thing, two opposing demonstrations should have been kept apart. Secondly, if that is a homicide scene, why is it not taped off? Why are two opposing groups (there are both Israeli and Palestinian flags in view) trampling all over a crime scene? Why are witness statements not being taken? Either the police are grossly incompetent or are not treating this as more than a tragic accident, and quite possibly both.
  • Options

Brace in eurozone.

Give it a few more years and our BMI will get to 38 as well.
  • Options

Brace in eurozone.

Construction PMI, not one of the main PMI indicators. (Nevertheless, the German economy does face some real challenges).
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,133
    edited November 2023

Eabhal said:

Another XL Bully attack: https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/crime/dangerous-dog-police-confirm-armed-officers-shot-dog-dead-after-two-people-hurt-in-calderdale-village-attack-4400029

Took a police helicopter and armed cops to subdue it, like a rampaging terrorist. There are rumours online about the injuries sustained.

The consistent problem is their ability to jump fences, so the policy of allowing them access to gardens even after the ban comes into place is not going to work.

It's a bit circumstantial - a guy said he 'understood' it was a big dog and a 'friend' had told him it was an XL Bully.

The problem is the owners. Also in saying to people that the issue is with the breed therefore implying all other dogs are safe. They are not in the wrong circumstances. The Dangerous Dogs Act is a bad piece of legislation and has not stopped the issues.
    The problem with this dog is not the owners, it's the dog itself.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pro_Rata said:

MattW said:

Sean_F said:

What utter rubbish. Our private schools are amongst the best schools in the world, hence parents from all over the world send their children to them.

They certainly don't send their children to the bog standard British comp. What is needed is more free schools, more grammars and closing failing state schools, not attacking our excellent private schools as is the usual Labour way of dragging down to the lowest common denominator
    Dunno. Do people send their kids to private schools because they get a good education, or is it just a good way of buying your kids into the ruling class and ensuring they are feather-bedded for the rest of their lives?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,775
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Brace in eurozone.

Ouch!

A Saudi order doesn't help the Germans much as Saudi jets come off the British FAL. The German FAL will be busy with the 38 'Quadriga' jets for the GAF until 2027 so they don't have the same political hemorrhoid that's on the verge of bursting like the British do with the imminent end of Eurofighter production at Wharton. The UK government don't want to be forced into a follow on Typhoon order, as they surely would be if the alternative were shuttering Wharton, as that will fuck up Tempest which is already running on the whiff of an oily rag when it comes to finances.

Airbus D&S would get to make 48 x centre fuselage sections in Germany for whatever that is worth.
    If the stories I am hearing on the space side are anything to go by, German aerospace companies would kill for an order of a single V2 replica.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pro_Rata said:

MattW said:

Sean_F said:

Dunno. Do people send their kids to private schools because they get a good education, or is it just a good way of buying your kids into the ruling class and ensuring they are feather-bedded for the rest of their lives?
    They send their kids to private schools as they are generally good schools with excellent exam results and extra curricular facilities.

Private schools which get poor results soon lose pupils and go out of business
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Er.

Free schools too, see Michaela Birbalsingh's outstanding free school
  • Options

It shows Sunak does not even have the political nous of Cameron. When the Tories first called for nominations to be their candidate for the mayoral election of 2008, Nick Ferrari emerged as the likely candidate. Cameron extended the deadline, resulting in Mike Read being the likely candidate, so Cameron extended the deadline again, and Boris Johnson became the candidate.
    In 2008 the Tories were massively ahead in the polls though, not massively behind like now
  • Options
    TheKitchenCabinetTheKitchenCabinet Posts: 2,275
    edited November 2023

Nigelb said:

What are the American police doing? For one thing, two opposing demonstrations should have been kept apart. Secondly, if that is a homicide scene, why is it not taped off? Why are two opposing groups (there are both Israeli and Palestinian flags in view) trampling all over a crime scene? Why are witness statements not being taken? Either the police are grossly incompetent or are not treating this as more than a tragic accident, and quite possibly both.
    From the reports, the guy who killed the other guy just sat there after he did it. From the Police's statement, it certainly seems to be treated as a homicide and possibly a hate crime. There is footage of the demonstration before the incident so I am assuming the incident itself was filmed and that is now in the hands of the Police hence they felt no need to cordon off the scene although - as you say - it is weird.

More to the point though what sort of person do you have to be if one of your group has just killed someone and you think it is acceptable to still be chanting your cause right where they died?

(Edit - that is rhetorical. I have my own answer to what type of people they are and what I suspect they think about themselves).
  • Options

The trouble when you're not really expecting to win is you don't attract the best candidates, and then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy anyway.

I think they were kind of expecting Daniel Korski to get it, but he withdrew from the process over groping allegations. They should probably have restarted the process at that point.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

You two aren't looking far enough ahead. 4-D chess innit. The crim MPs won't be serving their sentences.

PS: Ah, Beibherli got there before me!
    The only reason Sunak hasn't proposed bringing back the death penalty.
  • Options

Brace in eurozone.

Construction PMI, not one of the main PMI indicators. (Nevertheless, the German economy does face some real challenges).
    Manufacturing at ≈ 40.

But that was a tiny tad up on last month apparently.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,451
    edited November 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Er.

Free schools too, see Michaela Birbalsingh's outstanding free school
    Correction: Katherine Birbalsingh's Michaela Free School.

E- . See me after the lesson for your substantial detention sanction.
  • Options
    The King and Queen arrive at Westminster and making their way through the corridoors
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Eabhal said:

Another XL Bully attack: https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/crime/dangerous-dog-police-confirm-armed-officers-shot-dog-dead-after-two-people-hurt-in-calderdale-village-attack-4400029

Took a police helicopter and armed cops to subdue it, like a rampaging terrorist. There are rumours online about the injuries sustained.

The consistent problem is their ability to jump fences, so the policy of allowing them access to gardens even after the ban comes into place is not going to work.

It's a bit circumstantial - a guy said he 'understood' it was a big dog and a 'friend' had told him it was an XL Bully.

The problem is the owners. Also in saying to people that the issue is with the breed therefore implying all other dogs are safe. They are not in the wrong circumstances. The Dangerous Dogs Act is a bad piece of legislation and has not stopped the issues.
    The problem with human problem solving is sometimes there are multiple problems but we tend to fixate on one.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

From the reports, the guy who killed the other guy just sat there after he did it. From the Police's statement, it certainly seems to be treated as a homicide and possibly a hate crime. There is footage of the demonstration before the incident so I am assuming the incident itself was filmed and that is now in the hands of the Police hence they felt no need to cordon off the scene although - as you say - it is weird.

More to the point though what sort of person do you have to be if one of your group has just killed someone and you think it is acceptable to still be chanting your cause right where they died?

(Edit - that is rhetorical. I have my own answer to what type of people they are and what I suspect they think about themselves).
    I cannot answer that. Maybe the chanters do not know. You can see there is an Israeli flag being waved in the video so it looks like both sides are in on the desecration, so I'd suggest neither side appreciated the gravity of the situation. Without knowing the timeline, perhaps at this stage Kessler is still alive.
  • Options

What a trio. A couple of washed-up "personalities" from the world of light entertainment, and Mike Read.
  • Options

Brace in eurozone.

Apart from Ghana and Greece, it seems that everybody's PMI is below 50.

https://www.pmi.spglobal.com/Public

I think Germany's problems are (a) an end to cheap Russian enemy (b) lots of people can now do high quality manufacturing, but a lot cheaper than Germany does it.

To give one example, I've driven Japanese cars for 25 years now. They are excellent, reliable, and easy to use. And, a damn sight cheaper than the German equivalents.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Andy_JS said:

Eabhal said:

A bit of both. Can't do much about the make-up of owners but it can't be right that dogs are bred for size and aggression.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Eabhal said:

Someone has been arrested on suspicion of murder following an XL Bully attack, suggesting that that you can direct them to kill another human being.

The owner/dog debate is redundant. It's the dog - it's genetically programmed to jump really high, knock people over, kill, and then keep killing. The owner - why the hell would you want one? Why would you leave them alone in a garden/with your kids/take them outside of a padded cell? The breeders - why would you want to create such a thing, Frankenstein? The government for giving us legislation that is only effective after the breed has killed lots of people and easily dodged in the medium term by crossing it with a polar bear or something.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/04/man-killed-by-dog-believed-to-be-xl-bully-near-sunderland
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,682
    edited November 2023
    Sean_F said:

Brace in eurozone.

I think Germany's problems are (a) an end to cheap Russian enemy (b) lots of people can now do high quality manufacturing, but a lot cheaper than Germany does it.

To give one example, I've driven Japanese cars for 25 years now. They are excellent, reliable, and easy to use. And, a damn sight cheaper than the German equivalents.
    A Lexus does not have the badge appeal of the German marques (or German-owned British marques) so it is cheaper.

ETA and realistically, previous luxuries like aircon, heated seats and steering wheels are available so far downmarket that badge appeal is all that is left.
  • Options
    Boris visits Israel with former Australian PM Scott Morrison
    https://x.com/BorisJohnson/status/1721600152404656514?s=20
  • Options
    TheKitchenCabinetTheKitchenCabinet Posts: 2,275
    edited November 2023
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

No. The problem in this case is the owners AND the breed. The XL Bully is a dog specifically bred to be psychotically truculent, aggressive - and super powerful, and liable to flip any moment. Professional dog breeders have been killed and eaten by them

What you’re saying is “it should be fine to walk around with a vintage WW2 flamethrower, if you know what you’re doing”

We don’t allow that, because it’s ridiculous. Ditto here
    First of all, it would be good to get some facts. As @Carnyx says, there is a tendency for people to go "it's a big dog, it has to be a XL Bully" even when / if it's not (the initial hype is almost always not followed by a correction when it turns out the initial assumption is false).

Second, the RSPCA, Battersea Dogs Home and the Royal Kennel Club have all said a ban is the wrong measure. We get enough on here about criticising people who 'don't listen to the experts' but it seems the only experts they want to hear are those they agree with (to be fair, you are not in that category but some who liked your comment are).

Third, any dog is dangerous under the wrong conditions and it is wrong to encourage people to think there are safe breeds. You don't deal with them by the sound of things but plenty do and encouraging an attitude of 'it's a (e.g.) Lab, it must be nice' is the wrong way.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,714

Nigelb said:

For what it is worth while I was in Boston there was a huge demonstration on the common (it was soon after the Hamas attack) and I was very impressed with the police. They seemed to have the right level of letting the protesters get on with it, but had it under control if it got at all interesting. They appeared very laid back. There were also ambulances present who were dealing with minor stuff. We watched from a cafe and then walked through the protest as it was breaking up. At no time did it feel tense.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    The latest Post Office witness has failed to properly provide a witness statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcC5qFq9Uuw
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    King Charles and Queen Camilla take their places on their golden thrones and Black Rod calls MPs to the Lords before the King begins his speech setting out his government's legislative agenda
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Brace in eurozone.

Ouch!

Yes, the planes come out of the UK, but by not antagonising the Saudis, you increase the chance that he bows to Western pressure to start pumping more of the black stuff, instead of keeping the price up and letting the Russians fund their war.

Biden sure as hell wants to see ‘gas prices’ come down in election year, and so will Sunak.
  • Options
    Sunak and Starmer now have to make forced small talk for 5 minutes
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I don't like misinformation. I don't like rushing to conclusions. You say, "The protestor beat the dead guy with his megaphone". The Jewish Chronicle reports, "A Jewish man in Los Angeles has died after being struck on the head with a megaphone during a pro-Palestinian demonstration." What I've seen in the reporting is that witnesses report there was an altercation, he was hit, he fell and struck his head on the ground. This is a tragedy. The person who hit him (if that is what happened) should be arrested and the full facts of what happened determined. It does not appear to be a deliberate act of murder. "Beat" seems a misleading word that doesn't match the reporting.

A local rabbi has said exactly what happened is unclear: https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/local-rabbi-says-circumstances-surrounding-la-jewish-mans-death-remain-unclear/ Police are investigating, as they should. We will learn more in due course.

The clip in that second tweet also doesn't really match your description. The clip doesn't demonstrate that the protestors "hung around". We don't know whether the protestors in that clip are the same people as when Kessler died. That clip seems to show protestors unaware of what had happened there earlier.
  • Options

Labour's policy is working already. These parents can see that the state sector will at last be properly funded under a Labour government and are desperate to enjoy the great education that will be on offer. Not sure why the Telegraph is reporting this in such panicked terms, it strikes me as a wonderfully positive story.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533
    HYUFD said:

I wouldn't worry. Neither are passionate about politics so they will blather on a bit. Ange and Suella, meanwhile...
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Sean_F said:

Brace in eurozone.

A Lexus does not have the badge appeal of the German marques (or German-owned British marques) so it is cheaper.
    It's difficult to say with absolute precision, because it's hard to spec. them exactly the same, but I'd say Lexus and BMW are priced about the same.

Lexus RC F Carbon £83,560.00
    BMW M4 Competition £82,520.00
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Can't see why that is seen as difficult. They can just chat about their kids.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,467
    HYUFD said:

King Charles and Queen Camilla take their places on their golden thrones and Black Rod calls MPs to the Lords before the King begins his speech setting out his government's legislative agenda

Big day for Charles this. Maybe the biggest.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,943

It's a bad election cycle for the Tories as they aren't going to win the London Mayoralty in the same year they're going to be thrown out of government so all the best candidates are keeping their powder dry until the 2028 Mayoral election which should be a lot more competitive for the Conservatives...
  • Options

Not interested in losing. Why stand when you know Tory polling is in the doldrums and will be for some time?
  • Options
    No Dennis Skinner call out.

Part of the constitution lost.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Big day for Charles this. Maybe the biggest.
    More for Rishi, the King will be there still whoever wins the next election and appoint the next PM, Rishi probably won't unless some dramatic changes
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The latest Post Office witness has failed to properly provide a witness statement.

At what point does the inquiry chair start holding the PO management in contempt?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

At what point does the inquiry chair start holding the PO management in contempt?
    Is it the sort of enquiry that can do that, with teeth?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    New oil and gas fields announced, investment in renewables and improved connectivity and investments in Network North
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    In important news, Afghanistan are 210 for 4 vs Australia after 42 overs. 😊

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/66859121
  • Options
    Shift from poor quality degrees to high quality apprenticeships
  • Options

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

No. The problem in this case is the owners AND the breed. The XL Bully is a dog specifically bred to be psychotically truculent, aggressive - and super powerful, and liable to flip any moment. Professional dog breeders have been killed and eaten by them

What you’re saying is “it should be fine to walk around with a vintage WW2 flamethrower, if you know what you’re doing”

We don’t allow that, because it’s ridiculous. Ditto here
    First of all, it would be good to get some facts. As @Carnyx says, there is a tendency for people to go "it's a big dog, it has to be a XL Bully" even when / if it's not (the initial hype is almost always not followed by a correction when it turns out the initial assumption is false).

Second, the RSPCA, Battersea Dogs Home and the Royal Kennel Club have all said a ban is the wrong measure. We get enough on here about criticising people who 'don't listen to the experts' but it seems the only experts they want to hear are those they agree with (to be fair, you are not in that category but some who liked your comment are).

Third, any dog is dangerous under the wrong conditions and it is wrong to encourage people to think there are safe breeds. You don't deal with them by the sound of things but plenty do and encouraging an attitude of 'it's a (e.g.) Lab, it must be nice' is the wrong way.
    The RSPCA is an animal welfare charity, and you are correct that we should listen to their advice on that basis and in particular for drafting better legislation in the future. But animal welfare is slightly lower down the list of priorities than the immediate threat to human beings (this is a controversial view, I gather, having being banned from my local facebook group for expressing this view).

Another example: the RSPB does a great job setting out the conservation impact of the dualling of the A9, particularly around their reserves in the Cairngorms. We should listen to them when assessing the decision, even if overall we believe the economic prosperity of the north of Scotland is more important than the recovery of the Capercaillie.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,451
    HYUFD said:

New oil and gas fields announced, investment in renewables and improved connectivity and investments in Network North

Charles is spitting this out HY. He doesn't sound convinced.
This discussion has been closed.