Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Class warfare – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,052

Cookie said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

At some pointing something is going to snap. I’m just now sure who, where or how

“In UK can you, with one's face covered, verbally assault, threaten and insult police officers without arrest?”

https://x.com/radiogenoa/status/1721486080782774714?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Only if you're representing a fashionable cause while you're doing so.
    I thought the tipping point was pudgy semi-demi-fascists being arrested for peeing on a war memorial? Wait, that was BLM, wasn't it.
    Hang on, some pudgy chap was arrested for peeing on a memorial, yes, but it might have been a police one. But he sure wasn't BLM.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,624
    Phil said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

At some pointing something is going to snap. I’m just now sure who, where or how

“In UK can you, with one's face covered, verbally assault, threaten and insult police officers without arrest?”

https://x.com/radiogenoa/status/1721486080782774714?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

The distance between what middle class types commenting on PB who barely ever come into contact with the police think police work ought to look like & what it actually looks like never ceases to amuse (& I’m one of those middle class types).

The police are supposed to be able to take it when people say mean things to them, it’s part of the job. Arresting a bunch of shouty people is going to be a long way down the current list of MET priorities.
    The police sent 6 officers to drag an autistic girl from her bedroom because she compared the appearance of a female officer to her lesbian grandmother.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,405
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

My impression is it's likely to be you.
    No, I have too nice a life
    But what if a Muslim defaces Winnie at the weekend? Do you have the appropriate medication in for that?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,131
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Neither of the two friendly agreeable girls that are making my breakfast understands that “English Breakfast” is a TYPE of tea. Indeed neither seems able to grasp the concept

“Why’s it called breakfast then?”

“Is it English?”

The dimness of the young is becoming palpable, daily

These are good questions. It's not English tea and it is not drunk only with breakfast. It's great that the young have such inquiring minds and don't simply accept the absurdities of the world they are presented with.
    Not to mention that a full English breakfast is a fry-up. Otoh, I do not drink tea but have heard of English Breakfast tea which you can buy in Sainsbury's. I've always kind of assumed that any non-typed tea was also English Breakfast tea but don't drink the stuff so it does not matter. My tea industry mole has fled the country, unfortunately.
    Who asks specifically for English Breakfast Tea, which is just generic basic tea that you will be given if you ask for a cup of tea? It's like asking for a hen's egg.
    Just back from a trip to Budapest and Vienna. Asking for "tea" produced any number of weird concoctions, but "black tea" (aka English Breakfast tea) was difficult to find, and if it arrived it was in a glass made with luke-warm water. The idea that it might be accompanied by a few drops of milk was baffling to the locals.
    With a few honourable exceptions -Sri Lankans not only make a great cuppa but actually grow the bloody stuff - Jonny Foreigner tends to struggle with the basics of a proper cup of tea. It's one of the reasons I rarely leave the country.
    Also, you’re scared of driving on the right
    Of course I am! You think that people who can't make a decent cup of tea can be trusted to manoeuvre a motor vehicle with due care and attention, especially on such an unnatural side of the carriageway? Your devil may care attitude astonishes me - you need to spend less time hating on tabbies and asking for specific types of tea and
    focus on the real dangers out there.
    The inability of Europeans and Americans to make a decent cup of tea is baffling. It's not hard.
    It’s hard to use a microwave properly
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,242
    edited November 2023
    Phil said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

The distance between what middle class types commenting on PB who barely ever come into contact with the police think police work ought to look like & what it actually looks like never ceases to amuse (& I’m one of those middle class types).

The police are supposed to be able to take it when people say mean things to them, it’s part of the job. Arresting a bunch of shouty people is going to be a long way down the current list of MET priorities.
    Undoubtedly. The issue is not that, though. It's whether the police are being consistent in how they apply the law and their priorities or whether there is or or may be some bias, or the perception of bias, and what the reasons for that might be. Or indeed whether they properly understand the relevant law at all. See the Everard protests. For instance.

That is a genuine issue and the Met - and other police forces - do not always pass this test well. See, for instance, the evidence of how black people are treated by the police.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,677
    TOPPING said:

So back to tea. The simple fact is that the only cup of tea that is remotely comparable to the one you make at home is the one you have when you are soaked wet through, cold, and miserable.

And that cup is rarely if ever Earl Grey.

Good point

Tho I’d rather have Bovril in that sitch
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,160
    TOPPING said:

So back to tea. The simple fact is that the only cup of tea that is remotely comparable to the one you make at home is the one you have when you are soaked wet through, cold, and miserable.

I'm not a great fan of tea; I can drink coffee (preferably instant (*)) until the cows come home, but I haven't found a cuppa that I really crave. The nearest I get to is a really strong cup of builder's tea, brewed for about half an hour and so rich in tannin that you can sand a spoon up in it - the sort of tea that I'd have at a friend's farmhouse as a kid. But even then, I don't crave it.

A friend of ours only drinks weird flavoured teas, so we need to get some in whenever she visits...

(*) That may set some people off... ;)
  • Options
    I am literally - LITERALLY - staring at St Michael’s Mount
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,131
    carnforth said:
    2 Irish breakfast and 1 orange pekoe make for a perfect pot of tea
  • Options
    Leon said:

Just turn right and walk. And keep on walking. And tomorrow morning, keep on walking. After a year, and 6,266.5 miles, you'll be back at St Michael's Mount. And you'll have had a real life experience. :)
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,065

Pathetic excuses, part #58207:

"German Defense Minister Boris Pistorius said that the issue of transferring Taurus missiles to Ukraine is not urgent, since these missiles “will not change the rules of the game” in the Russian war against Ukraine."

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1721521430028837138

Is he wrong? What are they going to do with Taurus that they can't do with Storm Shadow/SCALP?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,638

TOPPING said:

I'm not a great fan of tea; I can drink coffee (preferably instant (*)) until the cows come home, but I haven't found a cuppa that I really crave. The nearest I get to is a really strong cup of builder's tea, brewed for about half an hour and so rich in tannin that you can sand a spoon up in it - the sort of tea that I'd have at a friend's farmhouse as a kid. But even then, I don't crave it.

A friend of ours only drinks weird flavoured teas, so we need to get some in whenever she visits...

(*) That may set some people off... ;)
    The coming thing will be speciality cocoa (and unsweetened).
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,945

Phil said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

The police sent 6 officers to drag an autistic girl from her bedroom because she compared the appearance of a female officer to her lesbian grandmother.
    Do you think it is possible there might be pressures on policing in London right now that weren’t present in Yorkshire three months ago?

Come on, be serious.

(As an aside, that event was egregious & should never have happened. At least the child was released without charge.)
  • Options
    twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,096
    edited November 2023
    Cyclefree said:

Phil said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

Undoubtedly. The issue is not that, though. It's whether the police are being consistent in how they apply the law and their priorities or whether there is or or may be some bias, or the perception of bias, and what the reasons for that might be. Or indeed whether they properly understand the relevant law at all. See the Everard protests. For instance.

That is a genuine issue and the Met - and other police forces - do not always pass this test well. See, for instance, the evidence of how black people are treated by the police.
    The service you get depends on who you are whether it's the NHS, Police, or council. If the Home Secretary had her pushbike nicked, the Met would announce a crackdown on bike theft, the like of which cordless grinder wielding scrotes would have never seen.
    Same as if the the Health Secretary slips on a council owned paving slab and ends up flat out on the footpath, they ain't going to be waiting a couple of hours for an ambulance, and then spend the next 18 hours on a trolley in A&E.
    They don't send their kids to the wrong type of school, either.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,147

Leon said:

Just Stop Oil have just smashed up one of the most beautiful paintings in the world. The Rokeby Venus in the National Gallery

https://x.com/juststop_oil/status/1721493745781113173?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Just Stop Beautiful Art

Smashed the protective glass which has done its job.

Just dusty old man-made art anyway.
    Ah but according to the BBC headline "Just Stop Oil: Activists arrested after National Gallery painting damaged".

You have to read the article to see "Two Just Stop Oil protesters have been arrested after glass protecting the Rokeby Venus painting at the National Gallery in London was smashed. "
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

"German Defense Minister Boris Pistorius said that the issue of transferring Taurus missiles to Ukraine is not urgent, since these missiles “will not change the rules of the game” in the Russian war against Ukraine."

Is he wrong? What are they going to do with Taurus that they can't do with Storm Shadow/SCALP?
    Hit more targets, obvs.

I'm sure even an aviation expert such as yourself understands that. ;)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028
    edited November 2023
    kinabalu said:

I'm puzzled as to why so many of you call Starmer Sir K, SKS or Sir Keir. He seems a fairly normal sort of fella, not prone to pretensions. I can't imagine he'd insist on it, and if he did, he'd deserve to be laughed at.

SKS is just a snappy acronym. "Sir Keir" is a passive aggressive expression of contempt/disapproval from people who dislike him with a passion.
    It’s a nice way of describing someone who claimed to be a Republican, but accepted a knighthood; a vegetarian on grounds of cruelty to animals… who eats fish etc etc

I don’t see why you are so het up on my disdain for him. He was one of the main men in trying to get the referendum result overturned before it had been enacted, despite being elected as an MP on a pledge to enact it as “a point of principle”. I was a big supporter of Leave, so he is a political enemy, and a complete snide to boot.

• Options
    Chris said:

Leon said:

Just Stop Oil have just smashed up one of the most beautiful paintings in the world. The Rokeby Venus in the National Gallery

https://x.com/juststop_oil/status/1721493745781113173?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Just Stop Beautiful Art

Ah but according to the BBC headline "Just Stop Oil: Activists arrested after National Gallery painting damaged".

You have to read the article to see "Two Just Stop Oil protesters have been arrested after glass protecting the Rokeby Venus painting at the National Gallery in London was smashed. "
    TBF they probably don't yet know what, if any, damage has been done to the painting below the glass; they'll probably want conservators to have a first look at it. But you can guarantee the lovely people doing it would have little idea if they'd cause damage or not.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

Leon is getting his news from fascist Twitter again I see. This time it’s an obviously racist account that does nothing but share videos of violent dark skinned people & rant about immigration & diversity.

Come on, you can do better than this Leon, it’s embarrassing.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,522
    edited November 2023
    Leon said:

Might be a bit damp today, and doubtless you already know it, but the St Michael's Way walk to the top of Trencrom Hill is something everyone should do. A wonderful vantage point from which to see the sea to the north and south of Cornwall.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909
    On Topic Has anyone ever seen TSE and Diane Abbot in the same room

Both Labour voters and brilliant parents who contribute their taxes to state education but send their children to private schools as not to take away resources from the less fortunate.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Break the Kerch bridge.

Taurus has a nifty fuse design that lets it count penetrations. So you can set it to (for example) punch through the deck of a bridge & then set off the main charge when it impacts the support.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Just Stop Beautiful Art

Let’s hope the painting is untouched. That looks like serious damage

I suspect you’d feel different if this was an iconic piece of Scottish art
    You’re such a weedy nationalist, and you obviously haven’t a clue about what people with more than a tourist’s appreciation of art feel. I’m not keen on performative attacking of art but I can understand why they’ve done it. I’d hate actual damage to be done to an iconic piece of Spanish art (Velazquez is one of my favourite painters) just as I would great Scottish or English paintings being damaged.
  • Options
    Phil said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

Leon is getting his news from fascist Twitter again I see. This time it’s an obviously racist account that does nothing but share videos of violent dark skinned people & rant about immigration & diversity.

I don’t give a fuck where it’s from. The video is the point not the source. Are you disputing the video?

I follow all kinds of nutters on Twitter. From the far left to the far right. From pro Palestinian terrorists to Nazi-esque zio settlers. I follow Jeremy Corbyn, George Galloway, Rishi Sunak and Nige Farage

It’s the only way to get a balanced view of the world via social media. Otherwise you end up in a silo
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,373
    edited November 2023
    Phil said:

Phil said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

Do you think it is possible there might be pressures on policing in London right now that weren’t present in Yorkshire three months ago?

Come on, be serious.

(As an aside, that event was egregious & should never have happened. At least the child was released without charge.)
    Something to be grateful for.

A child who should never have been arrested, who broke no law, who was traumatised by the whole event, according to reports, was released without charge. At least she didn’t ‘fall down the stairs’.

We truly have much to appreciated

The same copper was on social media running at people. Telling them to keep back when she was chasing after them. Spraying them with something.

Black Belt Barrister on YouTube did a good analysis.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909
    Israeli attacks have killed 10,022 Palestinians in Gaza since October 7 according to Al Jazeera
  • Options

Leon said:

Might be a bit damp today, and doubtless your airway know it, but the St Michael's Way walk to the top of Trencrom Hill is something everyone should do. A wonderful vantage point from which to see the sea to the north and south of Cornwall.
    It’s a lovely day - for November. Basically clear but with the odd sharp blustery shower - so lots of rainbows over Ding Dong and the men an tol
  • Options
    Chris said:

Leon said:

Just Stop Beautiful Art

I think it’s what’s called setting a narrative.

• Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just Stop Beautiful Art

You’re such a weedy nationalist, and you obviously haven’t a clue about what people with more than a tourist’s appreciation of art feel. I’m not keen on performative attacking of art but I can understand why they’ve done it. I’d hate actual damage to be done to an iconic piece of Spanish art (Velazquez is one of my favourite painters) just as I would great Scottish or English paintings being damaged.
    Good

You’re an idiot but I actually didn’t think you were an arsehole as well
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Break the Kerch bridge.

Taurus has a nifty fuse design that lets it count penetrations. So you can set it to (for example) punch through the deck of a bridge & then set off the main charge when it impacts the support.
    ALCMs fly horizontally so why not just target the supports? Trying to go through the top of the bridge seems pointlessly difficult.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,091
    Leon said:

I understand most men name it, but I've never read of that one being used before
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

I'm puzzled as to why so many of you call Starmer Sir K, SKS or Sir Keir. He seems a fairly normal sort of fella, not prone to pretensions. I can't imagine he'd insist on it, and if he did, he'd deserve to be laughed at.

SKS is just a snappy acronym. "Sir Keir" is a passive aggressive expression of contempt/disapproval from people who dislike him with a passion.
    It’s a nice way of describing someone who claimed to be a Republican, but accepted a knighthood; a vegetarian on grounds of cruelty to animals… who eats fish etc etc

I don’t see why you are so het up on my disdain for him. He was one of the main men in trying to get the referendum result overturned before it had been enacted, despite being elected as an MP on a pledge to enact it as “a point of principle”. I was a big supporter of Leave, so he is a political enemy, and a complete snide to boot.
    Ok, but you'll be better served by letting it go given he's going to be your PM. I speak from experience. The 'Boris' era was a torture to me. The thousands of negative posts I had to write about him. The stress of finding new and creative ways to slag him off. It was such mentally backbreaking work. It wasn't good for me at all. And that was only 3 years, you've probably got a 10 stretch coming.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Hit more targets, obvs.

They've got the UK stockpile of 800 Storm Shadows to get through so getting Taurus would slow them down as they'd have to take a Fitter off the front line to do the weapon integration.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,522
    Dura_Ace said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Break the Kerch bridge.

ALCMs fly horizontally so why not just target the supports? Trying to go through the top of the bridge seems pointlessly difficult.
    I thought that the final targeting these sorts of missiles did was from high up, after cruising on a level, also enabling them to add some extra kinetic energy to the attack?

See: http://www.armedforces.co.uk/Europeandefence/edequipment/edmis/edmis3a5.htm
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Ok, but you'll be better served by letting it go given he's going to be your PM. I speak from experience. The 'Boris' era was a torture to me. The thousands of negative posts I had to write about him. The stress of finding new and creative ways to slag him off. It was such mentally backbreaking work. It wasn't good for me at all. And that was only 3 years, you've probably got a 10 stretch coming.
    It won’t be torture, I’m capable of disliking a
    politician and not letting it affect my life.

I like the way you’ve called me passive aggressive! A beautifully self deprecating touch

I have to be careful not to be the slightest bit nasty or provocative on here, as I get banned for dropping an H. So it seems I’ve been forced into the mincing machine and have come out the other side as bland as everyone else.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,535

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just Stop Beautiful Art

Velazquez is my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great*-grandfather.

*May not be the right number of greats.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Break the Kerch bridge.

That's a good question, and would depend totally on the bridge design. For one thing, the supports (piers) for most of the Kerch Bridge are quite small in surface area and low to the water (there are the pylons for the higher sections that the ships go under, but that's a small part of the bridge). They're also fairly strong and thick reinforced concrete. If you go for the join between two deck segments, above a pier, where the bearer (*) / expansion joint (**) meet, you can ruin two deck segments *and* the pier. It's much weaker there.

Bridges can be quite hard to destroy, even with hand-placed demo charges. See the Ludendorff Bridge for one example.

"Although the bridge was wired with demolition charges, the weak civilian-grade "Donarite" explosives damaged the bridge but failed to bring it down, and Allied engineers risked their lives manually removing the remaining charges before the bridge was captured."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludendorff_Bridge

(*) The piece of 'steel' that the bridge sits on, on top of the pier, that transmits the load from deck onto pier.
    (**) The gap designed to stop the bridge buckling in the heat.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Hit more targets, obvs.

They've got the UK stockpile of 800 Storm Shadows to get through so getting Taurus would slow them down as they'd have to take a Fitter off the front line to do the weapon integration.
    Don't be an idiot; that's the feeblest of feeble excuses. It's almost as if you don't want Ukraine to win...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

I don’t give a fuck where it’s from. The video is the point not the source. Are you disputing the video?

I follow all kinds of nutters on Twitter. From the far left to the far right. From pro Palestinian terrorists to Nazi-esque zio settlers. I follow Jeremy Corbyn, George Galloway, Rishi Sunak and Nige Farage

It’s the only way to get a balanced view of the world via social media. Otherwise you end up in a silo
    A range of nutters is what you need for a balanced view of the world?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just Stop Beautiful Art

Velazquez is my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great*-grandfather.

That’s a mightily impressive ancestor. Kudos
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Dura_Ace said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Break the Kerch bridge.

I thought that the final targeting these sorts of missiles did was from high up, after cruising on a level, also enabling them to add some extra kinetic energy to the attack?

See: http://www.armedforces.co.uk/Europeandefence/edequipment/edmis/edmis3a5.htm
    It depends how they are programmed. In this case, of dropping the Kerch bridge, the extra "kinetic energy" from that vertical profile comes at the cost of trying to penetrate 3m+ of reinforced concrete. It makes no sense.

The "suicide" truck bomb was far more effective at this sort of caper as it concentrated far more explosive power that could be achieved with ALCMs or any other air launched weapon.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,638

Israeli attacks have killed 10,022 Palestinians in Gaza since October 7 according to Al Jazeera

How many more before Hamas release the hostages and make it clear that the Hamas based desire to eliminate Israel is no longer their aim?

In general, when you declare war on a state, as occurred on 7 October, that state fights until either it loses or the other side does.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Break the Kerch bridge.

It was just an example. Attacks with other missiles have penetrated the deck & exploded below without doing permanent damage IIRC. I don’t know why they didn’t go directly for the supports.

The fuse can count voids so it can do things like count the floors in a building until it gets to the basement level you happen to know your target is currently sat in a meeting on. You can’t do that with a Storm Shadow.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just Stop Beautiful Art

Gosh. I wouldn't mind seeing your etchings then (if you etch).
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just Stop Beautiful Art

Thank you.
    Though the maths of these things are such that it is almost certainly the case that I am not the only member of this board for whom that is the case.
    I remember being momentarily impressed when I found I was descended from King John - but then after a bit of BOAFP maths found that the odds of being broadly British and not being descended from King John - or any other 13th century individual with surviving ancestors - was somewhere in the region of 44 billion to one.
    Basically, an ancestor in the 19th century was a very minor aristocrat. Once you get back to one of those, genealogies are quite well documented.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Leon said:

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

I’m saying the video is chosen & edited to remove any context so that the Twitter handle in question can push their own explicity anti-immigrant narrative. That you are polluting your Twitter feed with this kind of blatantly obvious propaganda by choice is kind of on brand I guess.

You can get out of your silo without subscribing to this kind of shit-stirring crap. Why not try doing that instead?
  • Options
    Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Break the Kerch bridge.

It was just an example. Attacks with other missiles have penetrated the deck & exploded below without doing permanent damage IIRC. I don’t know why they didn’t go directly for the supports.

The fuse can count voids so it can do things like count the floors in a building until it gets to the basement level you happen to know your target is currently sat in a meeting on. You can’t do that with a Storm Shadow.
    " & exploded below without doing permanent damage IIRC"

In some cases, yes. In other cases, the damage was severe even from the hole. A reinforced concrete span uses the mesh of reinforced steel to transmit the tensile loads from the deck to the piers. A hole, or holes, that disrupt the reinforcing mess can significantly reduce the load the bridge can take. It's not just a case of putting a steel plate over the hole.

Reinforced concrete can actually be a really nasty material to have to repair, which is probably why they've had to replace entire spans of the Kerch Bridge, even when they suffered minor-looking damage. And why the Kherson Bridge became unusable by heavy vehicles after the Ukrainian attacks last year.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,463
    edited November 2023
    Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Break the Kerch bridge.

Sounds suspiciously like you know what you are talking about. How are you on a GSX-R1000R?
  • Options
    Phil said:

Leon said:

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

I’m saying the video is chosen & edited to remove any context so that the Twitter handle in question can push their own explicity anti-immigrant narrative. That you are polluting your Twitter feed with this kind of blatantly obvious propaganda by choice is kind of on brand I guess.

You can get out of your silo without subscribing to this kind of shit-stirring crap. Why not try doing that instead?
    Er, because I don’t give a crap what you think? About anything?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,989

Dura_Ace said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Break the Kerch bridge.

That's a good question, and would depend totally on the bridge design. For one thing, the supports (piers) for most of the Kerch Bridge are quite small in surface area and low to the water (there are the pylons for the higher sections that the ships go under, but that's a small part of the bridge). They're also fairly strong and thick reinforced concrete. If you go for the join between two deck segments, above a pier, where the bearer (*) / expansion joint (**) meet, you can ruin two deck segments *and* the pier. It's much weaker there.

Bridges can be quite hard to destroy, even with hand-placed demo charges. See the Ludendorff Bridge for one example.

"Although the bridge was wired with demolition charges, the weak civilian-grade "Donarite" explosives damaged the bridge but failed to bring it down, and Allied engineers risked their lives manually removing the remaining charges before the bridge was captured."

(*) The piece of 'steel' that the bridge sits on, on top of the pier, that transmits the load from deck onto pier.
    Bridges, well most designs of bridge, are blooming difficult to take down, as can be seen by this well-reinforced bugger still remaining barely serviceable, despite at least two good efforts to render it permanently useless.

Most missiles simply don’t carry enough explosives to do the job properly, hence the truck bombs and boat bombs being used, and I’m not sure anyone is going to risk the sort of escalation that might result from a full-size ICBM being sent to the bridge.

Doesn’t mean that a daily incoming ATACMS or Storm Shadow wouldn’t annoy the hell out of the enemy though.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just Stop Beautiful Art

Thank you.
    Though the maths of these things are such that it is almost certainly the case that I am not the only member of this board for whom that is the case.
    I remember being momentarily impressed when I found I was descended from King John - but then after a bit of BOAFP maths found that the odds of being broadly British and not being descended from King John - or any other 13th century individual with surviving ancestors - was somewhere in the region of 44 billion to one.
    Basically, an ancestor in the 19th century was a very minor aristocrat. Once you get back to one of those, genealogies are quite well documented.
    Yep. Same for me. We dug down about six generations then lucked out with an aristo - and from there we went back to Anglo Saxon kings and famous Vikings

Fun but meaningless. But fun, nonetheless
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Break the Kerch bridge.

In some cases, yes. In other cases, the damage was severe even from the hole. A reinforced concrete span uses the mesh of reinforced steel to transmit the tensile loads from the deck to the piers. A hole, or holes, that disrupt the reinforcing mess can significantly reduce the load the bridge can take. It's not just a case of putting a steel plate over the hole.

Reinforced concrete can actually be a really nasty material to have to repair, which is probably why they've had to replace entire spans of the Kerch Bridge, even when they suffered minor-looking damage. And why the Kherson Bridge became unusable by heavy vehicles after the Ukrainian attacks last year.
    Yes, the bridge over the Dnipr was one where the “surface” of the bridge was also the actual structure of it - it was a tubular shell of reinforced concrete. Punch enough holes in that shell & you compromise the bridge itself in a way that’s very difficult to repair.

The Kerch bridge is a tougher nut: any individual damaged span can be replaced. The Ukrainians have tried several times & so far any damage done has been repairable. The truck bomb was the most effective & even that was probably because they got lucky and hit a fuel train which burnt for hours, compromising the concrete in that section.

It looks like you need to break one of the support columns to really put the bridge out of action.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,910
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

I thought the tipping point was pudgy semi-demi-fascists being arrested for peeing on a war memorial? Wait, that was BLM, wasn't it.
    Hang on, some pudgy chap was arrested for peeing on a memorial, yes, but it might have been a police one. But he sure wasn't BLM.
    From 2020:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53051096

Banks, a Tottenham Hotspur fan, said he had travelled to central London with other football supporters to "protect statues", but admitted he did not know which statues.

He was said to have drunk 16 pints during Friday night into Saturday morning, and had not been to sleep.

Banks contacted police after being confronted by his father, the court heard.

Jailing Banks, Chief Magistrate Emma Arbuthnot said: "I accept you were drunk and did not know where you were urinating.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Break the Kerch bridge.

Sounds suspiciously like you know what you are talking about. How are you on a GSX-R1000R?
    Nah, I’m faking it, just like most people here: I know just enough to be dangerously wrong on the internet :)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Phil said:

Leon said:

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

Please do continue to immerse yourself in this river of shit. Meanwhile I will continue to point & laugh.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Leon said:

Phil said:

Leon said:

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

Please do continue to immerse yourself in this river of shit. Meanwhile I will continue to point & laugh.
    You get to obsess about me and I get to not give a fuck about you, so yeah. All good!

Onwards to ROSEMODRESS
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just Stop Beautiful Art

Excellent lineage!
    All I have is Trump, but at least we only share a great x ? grandfather
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,699
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

Leon was getting all excited about BLM protestors "disrespecting" war memorials on one of the marches.

It turned out that the person being arrested was an EDL type bloke who'd had a bit too much cheap beer and relieved himself next to one of the minor war memorials.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

From 2020:

Banks, a Tottenham Hotspur fan, said he had travelled to central London with other football supporters to "protect statues", but admitted he did not know which statues.

He was said to have drunk 16 pints during Friday night into Saturday morning, and had not been to sleep.

Jailing Banks, Chief Magistrate Emma Arbuthnot said: "I accept you were drunk and did not know where you were urinating.
    That's the one I was thinking of.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Break the Kerch bridge.

It depends how they are programmed. In this case, of dropping the Kerch bridge, the extra "kinetic energy" from that vertical profile comes at the cost of trying to penetrate 3m+ of reinforced concrete. It makes no sense.

The "suicide" truck bomb was far more effective at this sort of caper as it concentrated far more explosive power that could be achieved with ALCMs or any other air launched weapon.
    Both Storm Shadow & Taurus have a multi stage warheads. The first fires a shaped charge to open up a hole through which the second, larger charge can be dropped. Storm Shadow carries this thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BROACH_warhead

3m of concrete isn’t really much of a barrier: https://www.flightglobal.com/broaching-a-hard-target/21784.article
  • Options
    Phil said:

TOPPING said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Break the Kerch bridge.

Nah, I’m faking it, just like most people here: I know just enough to be dangerously wrong on the internet :)
    Impact counting fuses have been a thing for a long time - the American used them on the "AT&T" building in Bagdad in 1991. The one where they dropped one laser guided bomb on the roof to make a hole in the massive concrete slab - then dropped another *through the hole* to go through x floors before detonating. And collapsing the building.
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,052
    edited November 2023

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

My god. Watch this

From 2020:

That's the one I was thinking of.
    Me too. Next toi a memorial, strictly speaking ...
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,523
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just Stop Beautiful Art

Thank you.
    Yep. Same for me. We dug down about six generations then lucked out with an aristo - and from there we went back to Anglo Saxon kings and famous Vikings

Fun but meaningless. But fun, nonetheless
    Dangerous thing nowadays, in case you find a slave-owning ancestor and get cancelled.
  • Options

Phil said:

TOPPING said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Break the Kerch bridge.

Impact counting fuses have been a thing for a long time - the American used them on the "AT&T" building in Bagdad in 1991. The one where they dropped one laser guided bomb on the roof to make a hole in the massive concrete slab - then dropped another *through the hole* to go through x floors before detonating. And collapsing the building.
    My reading suggests that the Taurus fuse can count voids if so programmed, whereas other munitions use timed fuses & that’s the major difference between it & other cruise missiles. I am, as ever, happy to be corrected...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just Stop Beautiful Art

Gosh. I wouldn't mind seeing your etchings then (if you etch).
    Alas, whatever genetic material I inherited from him was not that which determined artistic ability.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Break the Kerch bridge.

Yes, the bridge over the Dnipr was one where the “surface” of the bridge was also the actual structure of it - it was a tubular shell of reinforced concrete. Punch enough holes in that shell & you compromise the bridge itself in a way that’s very difficult to repair.

The Kerch bridge is a tougher nut: any individual damaged span can be replaced. The Ukrainians have tried several times & so far any damage done has been repairable. The truck bomb was the most effective & even that was probably because they got lucky and hit a fuel train which burnt for hours, compromising the concrete in that section.

It looks like you need to break one of the support columns to really put the bridge out of action.
    I doubt even taking one of the smaller columns would permanently put the bridge out of action. Some of that earlier damage took them six months or more to repair; plenty of time to put another pier in what is (relatively) shallow water - which is one reason why the piers are so close together.

IMV to really take the bridge(s) down - there are two independent bridges - you would have to take the high spans down (the two steel arches). That is a much more interesting problem, which might be why Ukraine apparently has not yet tried.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_Bridge#/media/File:Крымский_мост_13_сентября_2019_года_(1).jpg
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Break the Kerch bridge.

Bridges, well most designs of bridge, are blooming difficult to take down, as can be seen by this well-reinforced bugger still remaining barely serviceable, despite at least two good efforts to render it permanently useless.

Most missiles simply don’t carry enough explosives to do the job properly, hence the truck bombs and boat bombs being used, and I’m not sure anyone is going to risk the sort of escalation that might result from a full-size ICBM being sent to the bridge.

Doesn’t mean that a daily incoming ATACMS or Storm Shadow wouldn’t annoy the hell out of the enemy though.
    You can well and truly bugger up a bridge with the use of a relatively few kilograms of quality explosive hand-placed in exactly the correct places - on the saddle/bearers, for instance. To bring a bridge down - as in demolition - is much, much harder.
This discussion has been closed.