Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ireland’s gamble – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,686
edited November 2023 in General
imageIreland’s gamble – politicalbetting.com

While the UK gets itself in a jumble on Palestine or Israel our next door neighbour has no such qualms. Ireland is quite clearly fighting Palestine’s corner. Sinn Fein backing the Palestinians is no surprise, but the main parts of the Irish establishment have fallen into line too. Leo Varadkar has gone off script several times and has been arguing against the mainstream EU position much to the annoyance of Germany. The Irish President Michael D Higgins got into a spat with the Israeli ambassador which Simon Coveney the foreign minister had to calm down.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    edited November 2023
    An interesting article. Thanks, Mr Brooke.

Edit: and first. :)
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    Good morning all.

Re yesterday's thread, which I refrained from posting on, I do think the media including pb.com are desperate to find anything which makes the next General Election appear less of a slam dunk than it currently appears.

I fear you are chasing shadows. These missing millions of wannabe tory voters are as much a fantasy as La Buse's treasure.

If they ever really existed they weren't true Conservative voters. They were 'Get Brexit Done' voters. That era has passed, along with their memories. They will not come back.

The national opinion polls are correct. Labour are on course for a significant win.

But fantasise away, if it keeps you occupied.

xx
  • Options
    It's like a different country!

Good header @Alanbrooke Ireland does indeed seem to have come to a settled view on this.

Ironically a generation or two ago Ireland might have seen in Israel parallels with its own past as a small country fighting to win independence against larger neighbours. That has changed hugely.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Too late for a first, those damn nukes will just have to wait a little longer.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,670
    Heathener said:

Good morning all.

Re yesterday's thread, which I refrained from posting on, I do think the media including pb.com are desperate to find anything which makes the next General Election appear less of a slam dunk than it currently appears.

I fear you are chasing shadows. These missing millions of wannabe tory voters are as much a fantasy as La Buse's treasure.

If they ever really existed they weren't true Conservative voters. They were 'Get Brexit Done' voters. That era has passed, along with their memories. They will not come back.

The national opinion polls are correct. Labour are on course for a significant win.

xx

It will be talked up as closing the gap when the time comes.

No one wants to watch a one horse race.
  • Options
    On topic, I am not sure that the world really cares what Eire thinks. I am not sure I really care if it has negative consequences for them either.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,960
    Foxy said:

Showjumping is quite popular...
  • Options

Good header @Alanbrooke Ireland does indeed seem to have come to a settled view on this.

Ironically a generation or two ago Ireland might have seen in Israel parallels with its own past as a small country fighting to win independence against larger neighbours. That has changed hugely.

It doesn't matter much however many march in Dublin, London or Dacca or who they support. The only country Isael listens to is the USA, and the only places with influence on Hamas are in the neighbouring countries.
  • Options
    In other unsurprising news Bankman-Fried is found guilty of fraud: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67281759

Probably facing several decades in jail. What a dramatic fall from grace.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,183
    Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Dressage too. God knows why.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Foxy said:

It doesn't matter much however many march in Dublin, London or Dacca or who they support. The only country Isael listens to is the USA, and the only places with influence on Hamas are in the neighbouring countries.
    I agree with that. What has me scratching my head is what Ireland hopes to gain from its stance. Usually Ireland sits at the back of the class and says little ( see Ukraine ) but on this one its at the front. I cant really see what the country is seeking to gain versus the downside if it goes wrong.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Heathener said:

Good morning all.

xx

I think it is always worth bearing in mind that the Tories have won an overall majority at only two general elections in the last 30 years. And of those the last one really was exceptional, and treating their 2019 voters as the "Tory base" is a very questionable thing to do.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

In other unsurprising news Bankman-Fried is found guilty of fraud: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67281759

So Crypto turned out to be a scammers paradise. Who could have anticipated that?
    Indeed, a conviction I got this week for reset after a crypto robbery got a fair bit of press attention but the sort of people who you were dealing with would have had you counting your fingers after a handshake.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Foxy said:

I agree with that. What has me scratching my head is what Ireland hopes to gain from its stance. Usually Ireland sits at the back of the class and says little ( see Ukraine ) but on this one its at the front. I cant really see what the country is seeking to gain versus the downside if it goes wrong.
    While the experience of settlement is more historical and the nakba has parallels with "To hell or to Connaught", the timing of partition of Ireland and the formation of Palestine is both more recent and more contemporaneous.

The British withdrawal from Empire was mostly voluntary, albeit with a degree of insurrection encouraging it. The exceptions were three places where we were forced out by military action: the USA, Ireland and Palestine.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    edited November 2023
    Chris said:

Heathener said:

Good morning all.

xx

I think it is always worth bearing in mind that the Tories have won an overall majority at only two general elections in the last 30 years. And of those the last one really was exceptional, and treating their 2019 voters as the "Tory base" is a very questionable thing to do.
    Absolutely.

I really do think, for all his many faults, Boris Johnson reached parts that no other tory could have in an exceptional election with an exceptional remit against an exceptionally unelectable opposition leader.

It was a one-off. That time has gone.

p.s. for those posting about horses, neither showjumping nor dressage competitions are one-horse races. But I find pedantry tiresome so I'll cease right there ;)
  • Options
    I wonder whether because of their neutral role in the war they don't learn as much WW2 history as others in Europe and so the persecution of Europe's Jewish population maybe plays less of a role in their thinking on this issue. Without that context I think the conflict would look rather different.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627
    Good morning. My primary task today is to persuade everyone to leave work early and go to the pub.
  • Options
    FPT

Nigelb said:

Anyone else get serious Beer Hall Putsch vibes from this ?

Trump salutes at his rally while they play an altered version of the national anthem featuring violent January 6 insurrectionists: “I call them the J6 hostages, not prisoners”
    https://twitter.com/BidenHQ/status/1720191992578122193

Trump's cultist want to live in a fascist, or at the very least, a deeply authoritarian state.

They want this to be the last election.

They never want the other side to win again.

They think voting and democracy and debate and deliberation and compromise is a weakness and only strong states survive.

They want power at all costs.

Simple as that.

The clear and present danger is off the scale.

The dashboard lights are all flashing red.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

How will we in Europe deal with Trump 2.0?

How will we deal with a civil war in the US?

NATO is on very borrowed time.

Putin need only hang on.

Saying all this is ridiculous hyperbole is just burrowing heads in sand.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this far more succinctly than I would have done. The GOP are proto-fascist heading down the road of creating an effective one party authoritarian state. Then add in the religious loons who want to chain women as God's will, and they're heading towards Gilead.

It almost doesn't matter whether Biden is senile or whether the Dems are also open to a bit of corruption and gerrymandering - there's a difference between a bit of it and tear down the republic.

If America elects Trump, there won't be another free election.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

While the experience of settlement is more historical and the nakba has parallels with "To hell or to Connaught", the timing of partition of Ireland and the formation of Palestine is both more recent and more contemporaneous.

The British withdrawal from Empire was mostly voluntary, albeit with a degree of insurrection encouraging it. The exceptions were three places where we were forced out by military action: the USA, Ireland and Palestine.
    Two of the three still full of armed nutters.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,266
    edited November 2023
    DavidL said:

Combining the two threads:

An Irish judge once gave a man 247 years in jail.

Then he turned to the convict and said, 'Don't worry boy, you won't serve all of that. You can get up to one-third off for good conduct.'

(This is usually told as a traditional Irish joke of a stupid judge. I tend to think of it as a judge mischievously piling on the agony towards somebody he'd taken a dislike to.)
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,641

I wonder whether because of their neutral role in the war they don't learn as much WW2 history as others in Europe and so the persecution of Europe's Jewish population maybe plays less of a role in their thinking on this issue. Without that context I think the conflict would look rather different.

I’ve come to realise WW2 history isn’t enough to understand the Jewish experience of persecution either. It was after reading Simon Schama’s history of the Jews that I finally got it: a people who have never been safe for long, living as guests with uncertain status in other peoples countries for, essentially, 2,000 years.

It doesn’t of course excuse the bullying behaviour Israel has exhibited for years towards Palestinian civilians on the West Bank but it does explain the deep suspicion of diplomacy and promises when under attack.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Chris said:

Heathener said:

Good morning all.

xx

Leaving aside the question of how 'exceptional' 2019 was (it wasn't, in fact it reflected trends that had been going on for well over a decade that were masked by the genuine outlier in 2017) let's take your logic a stage further. Labour have won three overall majorities in the last 30 years. Four in 50 years. Six in 70 years.

The problem is not the paucity of majorities - that's in many ways a good thing - the problem is the long periods in government each party is getting.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    The effect of prosperity (and then the shock of the GFC) seems to have pushed Ireland quite a long way to the Left, over the past 25 years. Long-standing neutrality means that Ireland also does not identify with Western interests, in the way that other similar countries do. And Sinn Fein loves the Palestinian cause.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,806
    @Alanbrooke , you missed an absolutely epic chance to title the article "Ireland's Call"
  • Options
    DavidL said:

On topic, I am not sure that the world really cares what Eire thinks. I am not sure I really care if it has negative consequences for them either.

Look at it this way, if the UK and France were at war, would anyone care one iota whether Laos was pro UK or French?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    If we are doing historical statistics, here's a rather shocking one. It is over 60 years (January 1963) since Labour elected a leader other than Blair who won an election or indeed polled over 40% of the vote in an election.* The other seven leaders since Wilson (not counting Beckett, Harman and Starmer, who hasn't fought an election) haven't even looked like winning an overall majority, with the possible exception of Smith.

*I know people say Corbyn did but they're wrong. He got 39.99%.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    TimS said:

I’ve come to realise WW2 history isn’t enough to understand the Jewish experience of persecution either. It was after reading Simon Schama’s history of the Jews that I finally got it: a people who have never been safe for long, living as guests with uncertain status in other peoples countries for, essentially, 2,000 years.

It doesn’t of course excuse the bullying behaviour Israel has exhibited for years towards Palestinian civilians on the West Bank but it does explain the deep suspicion of diplomacy and promises when under attack.
    The fact that the three major wars - 48, 67 and 73 were literally existential didn’t help either. The avowed policy of their opponents each time was to expel all Jews from the area, if Israel was defeated.

That’s where Netenyahuism gets its chance from - “Let’s play by the rules of those who want to kill us.”
  • Options

FPT

Nigelb said:

Trump salutes at his rally while they play an altered version of the national anthem featuring violent January 6 insurrectionists: “I call them the J6 hostages, not prisoners”

Trump's cultist want to live in a fascist, or at the very least, a deeply authoritarian state.

They think voting and democracy and debate and deliberation and compromise is a weakness and only strong states survive.

Simple as that.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

Putin need only hang on.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this far more succinctly than I would have done. The GOP are proto-fascist heading down the road of creating an effective one party authoritarian state. Then add in the religious loons who want to chain women as God's will, and they're heading towards Gilead.

It almost doesn't matter whether Biden is senile or whether the Dems are also open to a bit of corruption and gerrymandering - there's a difference between a bit of it and tear down the republic.

The AI will probably ban democracy worldwide if it realises we elected Trump.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Heathener said:

Good morning all.

xx

Leaving aside the question of how 'exceptional' 2019 was (it wasn't, in fact it reflected trends that had been going on for well over a decade that were masked by the genuine outlier in 2017) let's take your logic a stage further. Labour have won three overall majorities in the last 30 years. Four in 50 years. Six in 70 years.

The problem is not the paucity of majorities - that's in many ways a good thing - the problem is the long periods in government each party is getting.
    The point I'm making is simply that there is very little justification for viewing the Tories as the natural party of government or for finding a hundred and one reasons not to believe what the voting intention polls are telling us.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    Foxy said:

The inverse may be true - if there are major clashes on Remembrance Sunday, to the extent the King etc are advised not to attend the cenotaph, support for Israel will only increase.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

So Crypto turned out to be a scammers paradise. Who could have anticipated that?
    Indeed, a conviction I got this week for reset after a crypto robbery got a fair bit of press attention but the sort of people who you were dealing with would have had you counting your fingers after a handshake.
    Crypto is like time shares in Spain.

The basic idea isn’t the problem. It’s just that everyone involved is high on their own supply or a criminal. Or both.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

...parts of them anyway...
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

...parts of them anyway...
    Which one is the third?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    TimS said:

I agree with that. Just how deeply antisemitism is ingrained around the world is not also fully understood. I can recall browsing a hotel bookshop while staying in the centre of Kuala Lumpur - one of the books offered most prominently for sale was the Protocols of the Elders of Zion - and it was possible to buy it in Malay, Arabic or English.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Heathener said:

Good morning all.

xx

Possibly putting it another way, how many elections have been a genuinely competitive battle between two plausible governments?

2019 wasn't (grumpy old Jez)
    2017 probably wasn't really (magic Grandpa Jez)
    2015 perhaps?
    2010 wasn't (Labour were obviously exhausted)
    2005 wasn't (Howard was explicitly a placeholder)
    2001 wasn't (Conservatives weren't ready)
    1997 wasn't (Conservatives were obviously exhausted)
    1992 was, just about
    1987 wasn't (Kinnock was reforming, but nowhere near enough)
    1983 wasn't

It shouldn't be asking to much for our big parties to both be on the reservation simultaneously.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Dressage too. God knows why.
    Horse disco
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031

TimS said:

I agree with that. Just how deeply antisemitism is ingrained around the world is not also fully understood. I can recall browsing a hotel bookshop while staying in the centre of Kuala Lumpur - one of the books offered most prominently for sale was the Protocols of the Elders of Zion - and it was possible to buy it in Malay, Arabic or English.
    This is why people saying things like: "I can understand why Jews felt that they needed a homeland; why did they have to make it Palestine?" are being so idiotic. Aside from Antarctica, there is no land that is not 'owned' by someone; and the stain of anti-Semitism would follow them wherever they tried to settle. I can imagine the same people who are protesting the rights of Palestinians now would be protesting the rights of Africans if they had settled in (say) Nigeria.

Whilst, of course, ignoring all the other myriad peoples in similar states. Because Jews are Different (tm)...
  • Options

FPT

Nigelb said:

Simple as that.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

Putin need only hang on.

Because we are too stupid to be trusted. The "J6 Hostages" - people convicted in a series of trials for their part in the insurrection. With further trials going on for the ring leaders many of whom have already pleaded guilty.

Why is this making Trump more popular? Because roughly half of the population *wanted the coup to work*. It doesn't matter that they lost by 7m votes, they are right and indeed righteous, the other side are practically satanic.

As @rottenborough said - wake up. Half of America has had enough of democracy. Of tolerance. Of women's rights. When it is strange swarthy countries scrapping democracy and oppressing women the Americans usually object.

What will we do as Gilead is formed in front of our eyes?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Heathener said:

Good morning all.

xx

The point I'm making is simply that there is very little justification for viewing the Tories as the natural party of government or for finding a hundred and one reasons not to believe what the voting intention polls are telling us.
    I'd agree with the first point. That time has passed. And good riddance to it. (Not that Labour have proven markedly better. They substitute a different set of useless cronies, that's all.)

For the second, I'm not convinced by your view. I got burned by Cameron in 2010 who had similar leads until about six months before the election. Indeed, even in 1997 Labour's eventual margin of victory in the popular vote - 13 points - was still far narrower than any gap in an opinion poll since 1992. Partly that may be explained by tactical voting, but since the Liberal Democrat share was down on 1992 that's not a terribly convincing explanation. In 1964 the polls narrowed substantially at the last minute and what had seemed an easy Labour win was a very narrow one.

There are many complex factors at play here. Starmer if he is no Corbyn is also no Blair. (Paradoxically if he were he'd probably be doing worse, given how much suspicion we hold Blair-style politicians in now.) He is also a long, long way behind. He would need a swing on the scale of 1997 to win a majority of one. Not impossible, but not easy either.

The only times in the age of universal suffrage a government with a majority as large as this one has conceded a double-digit overall majority to the opposition are 1945 and 1970, which shows how unusual it is.

Put it this way, I think people betting on large Labour majorities based on opinion polling are taking a risk that isn't justified by precedent. There is a chance this could be different. My judgement, which could easily be wrong, is that polls at this stage reflect people's emotional reaction to the government as much as how they are likely to vote. And right now, people are fed up with the government's constant bungling, dithering and stupidity so are not keen on the thought of voting for it.
  • Options
    TimS said:

There is a brilliant book on the subject of the Jews of Europe in the prewar period, covering a rich diversity of traditions and politics. It focuses on the Jews themselves rather than the anti-semites.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eve-Europe-before-Second-World/dp/1846681901?ref=d6k_applink_bb_dls&dplnkId=c971300a-f2ae-402e-9661-7c5edcf54fb9

Zionism began in the late nineteenth century, so a long time before WW2 and was motivated not just by the very real threats of European anti-semitism, but also the fear of cultural extinction via assimilation into secular European culture.

• Options

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Heathener said:

Good morning all.

xx

Possibly putting it another way, how many elections have been a genuinely competitive battle between two plausible governments?

2019 wasn't (grumpy old Jez)
    2017 probably wasn't really (magic Grandpa Jez)
    2015 perhaps?
    2010 wasn't (Labour were obviously exhausted)
    2005 wasn't (Howard was explicitly a placeholder)
    2001 wasn't (Conservatives weren't ready)
    1997 wasn't (Conservatives were obviously exhausted)
    1992 was, just about
    1987 wasn't (Kinnock was reforming, but nowhere near enough)
    1983 wasn't

It shouldn't be asking to much for our big parties to both be on the reservation simultaneously.
    I think the long periods in government aren't helping matters from that point of view.

I'd add 1979 to that list, and 1964 (although the result was in the end quite close) and 1966, as well as 1951.

That leaves, since World War Two, 1950, 1970, 1974 (twice) as genuinely competitive elections.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

FPT

Nigelb said:

Simple as that.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

Putin need only hang on.

Because we are too stupid to be trusted. The "J6 Hostages" - people convicted in a series of trials for their part in the insurrection. With further trials going on for the ring leaders many of whom have already pleaded guilty.

Why is this making Trump more popular? Because roughly half of the population *wanted the coup to work*. It doesn't matter that they lost by 7m votes, they are right and indeed righteous, the other side are practically satanic.

As @rottenborough said - wake up. Half of America has had enough of democracy. Of tolerance. Of women's rights. When it is strange swarthy countries scrapping democracy and oppressing women the Americans usually object.

I'm guessing nothing because the UK government, no matter what political complexion, can't conceive of the country existing outside the American hegemony.

Remember how May had to pimp the queen out and offer a state visit in order to be the first foreign visitor at Mar-a-Lago North? It'll be just like that all over again.

When Trump is re-elected or otherwise manages to take power in 2025 then Starmer will tongue his hole just like all other Western leaders will.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

Foxy said:

Not everything is realpolitik.
    And perhaps they've just grown accustomed to seeing little downside from the expression of opinions previously, as no one was taking much notice ?

There's also this. Over the next few weeks their stance might not be quite so contrary.

US warns Israel amid Gaza carnage it doesn’t have long before support erodes
    https://edition.cnn.com/2023/11/02/politics/biden-administration-warning-israel-gaza-civilians/index.html
    ..President Joe Biden and his top advisers are warning Israel with growing force that it will become increasingly difficult for it to pursue its military goals in Gaza as global outcry intensifies about the scale of humanitarian suffering there.

Biden, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and Secretary of State Antony Blinken – who departed Thursday for Israel with a message on protecting civilian lives – have all explicitly pressed the case in recent private conversations with the Israelis, telling them that eroding support will have dire strategic consequences for Israel Defense Forces operations against Hamas...

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    Sean_F said:

The effect of prosperity (and then the shock of the GFC) seems to have pushed Ireland quite a long way to the Left, over the past 25 years. Long-standing neutrality means that Ireland also does not identify with Western interests, in the way that other similar countries do. And Sinn Fein loves the Palestinian cause.

True.
    But the multiple revelations about the behaviour of the Catholic Church in cahoots with the political Establishment have played as great a role, if not more, I would contend.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Heathener said:

Good morning all.

xx

I'd agree with the first point. That time has passed. And good riddance to it. (Not that Labour have proven markedly better. They substitute a different set of useless cronies, that's all.)

For the second, I'm not convinced by your view. I got burned by Cameron in 2010 who had similar leads until about six months before the election. Indeed, even in 1997 Labour's eventual margin of victory in the popular vote - 13 points - was still far narrower than any gap in an opinion poll since 1992. Partly that may be explained by tactical voting, but since the Liberal Democrat share was down on 1992 that's not a terribly convincing explanation. In 1964 the polls narrowed substantially at the last minute and what had seemed an easy Labour win was a very narrow one.

There are many complex factors at play here. Starmer if he is no Corbyn is also no Blair. (Paradoxically if he were he'd probably be doing worse, given how much suspicion we hold Blair-style politicians in now.) He is also a long, long way behind. He would need a swing on the scale of 1997 to win a majority of one. Not impossible, but not easy either.

The only times in the age of universal suffrage a government with a majority as large as this one has conceded a double-digit overall majority to the opposition are 1945 and 1970, which shows how unusual it is.

Put it this way, I think people betting on large Labour majorities based on opinion polling are taking a risk that isn't justified by precedent. There is a chance this could be different. My judgement, which could easily be wrong, is that polls at this stage reflect people's emotional reaction to the government as much as how they are likely to vote. And right now, people are fed up with the government's constant bungling, dithering and stupidity so are not keen on the thought of voting for it.
    I would put the potential outcomes in decreasing probability as Labour small majority, Labour biggest party, Labour large majority, Tories biggest party, Tory majority. I think voter disgust at Tory incompetence is sufficiently great that Labour will probably overturn the Tory majority, but agree that without positive enthusiasm for Labour a landslide is less likely, and they could well fall short altogether.
  • Options

TimS said:

This is why people saying things like: "I can understand why Jews felt that they needed a homeland; why did they have to make it Palestine?" are being so idiotic. Aside from Antarctica, there is no land that is not 'owned' by someone; and the stain of anti-Semitism would follow them wherever they tried to settle. I can imagine the same people who are protesting the rights of Palestinians now would be protesting the rights of Africans if they had settled in (say) Nigeria.

Whilst, of course, ignoring all the other myriad peoples in similar states. Because Jews are Different (tm)...
    Yes, it's ridiculous and offensive.

Ironically, Palestinians are in a not entirely dissimilar position.
  • Options

TimS said:

One of Russia's more malign exports.
  • Options

Tories biggest party

I wonder what the drumbashers would want from the tories to prop them up this time?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2023
    An interesting and entertaining header Alanbrooke. David V Goliiath a nice touch and the point that hits the nail square on. It doesn't really matter what your personal history this is a visceral conflict and the wonderful Old Testament story of David and Goliath which we were taught as children is more a determinant of where we individually stand than who gave the deeds to who 3000 years ago or who should or shouldn't have 80 years ago or who you ethnically identify with.

I had lunch with a pretty hard headed advertising chum yesterday who I have never heard express a coherent political view on anything being furious about the Israeli's actions. He was litterally livid. He couldn't stand the thought of Israel bombing children whether or not they were shielding Hamas operatives or anyone else. It really hurt him.

Whatever we may feel about who started what, this is a film where the little guy tweeked the big guys nose and he's getting severely battered for it. Whether he had it coming is neither here nor there. We are all watching a dumb animal being mercilessly beaten and few can watch it dispassionately. It's hurting us individually and we're rooting for the animal.

It's for that reason that there will be a million green and red flags next week-end. Not that they don't like Jews or Israelis.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Simple as that.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

Putin need only hang on.

I'm guessing nothing because the UK government, no matter what political complexion, can't conceive of the country existing outside the American hegemony.

Remember how May had to pimp the queen out and offer a state visit in order to be the first foreign visitor at Mar-a-Lago North? It'll be just like that all over again.

When Trump is re-elected or otherwise manages to take power in 2025 then Starmer will tongue his hole just like all other Western leaders will.
    Certainly so.

Trump's second term will mean more of what we put up with from 2016-2020. Leaders will grit their teeth and try to keep the XL Bully in the room from taking a dislike to them.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Heathener said:

Good morning all.

xx

I would put the potential outcomes in decreasing probability as Labour small majority, Labour biggest party, Labour large majority, Tories biggest party, Tory majority. I think voter disgust at Tory incompetence is sufficiently great that Labour will probably overturn the Tory majority, but agree that without positive enthusiasm for Labour a landslide is less likely, and they could well fall short altogether.
    I think the idea that the 2019 election result is any basis for the actual starting point of the next election is insane - it was an extreme case...

Also the idea that this Government will find and provide reasons in the next 9-12 months to encourage voters to give them 4-5 year more power is insane - it's clear they are already bereft of ideas, aren't even bothered to do things that are supposedly in the pipeline (protection for renters, protection for workers) is insane. It's not like there is any actual money for tax cuts and one reason the Tories regained some votes in 1997 was because there was a possibility of tax cuts due to the improving economy.

Everything I'm seeing is tell me that next years economy is going to make this years look good.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Heathener said:

Good morning all.

xx

Labour have time to generate some positive enthusiasm, I think. They probably don’t need to promise that much either. Ideally for them, a comfortable working majority and then increased enthusiasm after a first year or so of tangible achievements. The most important thing will be luck: ie an improving world economy.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Simple as that.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

Putin need only hang on.

I genuinely think there is a risk of a civil war in America. Regardless of the election result. We now know the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs had removed Trump from the decision-making tree in the final weeks. We also know that federal and state and local police have different masters with different ideologies.

In Britain we scoff at the idea of a coup because you'd have to take on the powers that be. But in America some of the powers that be *are* the Trumpist coup.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

As for your last two sentences, that may be true of some of the marchers, but if you think it's true of all them you're even stupider than we all thought.

All of the people from my MA Arabic class are going (except me) and they fucking hate Israel.
  • Options

TimS said:

It’s also that in many countries, racism is not seen as an evil. Unless it’s outsiders discriminating again the predominant group in that country.

It’s not about being evil or whatever. Anymore than not having religious tolerance is an inate moral failing.

The ideas of tolerance, anti-racism, gay rights etc are relatively new. Hell, before 1989, it was a common trope, for some, that social liberal democracy was a colonialist idea and that non-European countries had cultures that weren’t suited to it. Argued by actual MPs on U.K. television, no less.

Progress doesn’t just happen by itself.

So finding 19th cent anti-semitism of the style of the Russian Empire isn’t a surprise. What has happened that it should be surprising? Given that in a number of countries it is “preached by the state” to provide an enemy to unite the people against, even less so
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

As for your last two sentences, that may be true of some of the marchers, but if you think it's true of all them you're even stupider than we all thought.

All of the people from my MA Arabic class are going (except me) and they fucking hate Israel.
    Enjoying the flegs wind up.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Simple as that.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

Putin need only hang on.

Not least because it will be a year or two before it becomes obvious to everyone what's going to happen.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

An interesting and entertaining header Alanbrooke. David V Goliiath a nice touch and the point that hits the nail square on. It doesn't really matter what your personal history this is a visceral conflict and the wonderful Old Testament story of David and Goliath which we were taught as children is more a determinant of where we individually stand than who gave the deeds to who 3000 years ago or who should or shouldn't have 80 years ago or who you ethnically identify with.

I had lunch with a pretty hard headed advertising chum yesterday who I have never heard express a coherent political view on anything being furious about the Israelis actions. He was litterally livid. He couldn't stand the thought of Israel bombing children whether or not they were shielding Hamas operatives or anyone else. It really hurt him.

Whatever we may feel about who started what we are watching a film where the little guy has tweeked the big guys nose and he is getting severely battered for it. Whether he had it coming is neither here nor there. We are all watching a dumb animal being mercilessly beaten and few can watch it dispassionately. It's hurting us individually and we're rooting for the animal.

It's for that reason that there will be a million green and red flags next week-end. Not that they don't like Jews or Israelis.

Leaving aside your spelling, if you consider the brutal murder of 1400 people a case of 'the little guy has tweeked [sic] the big guys [sic] nose' it does rather underline why nobody is paying much attention to your views on this subject except to wince in disgust.

Polite, yet devastating.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Heathener said:

Good morning all.

xx

Yes this is entirely reasonable.

As a CON supporter (although I am far from happy with the performance of the current government), I expect a LAB majority of between 10 and 50 but it is still possible they may fall short.

• Options

FPT

Nigelb said:

Simple as that.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

Putin need only hang on.

Nothing, really.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Dura_Ace said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Simple as that.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

Putin need only hang on.

I genuinely think there is a risk of a civil war in America. Regardless of the election result. We now know the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs had removed Trump from the decision-making tree in the final weeks. We also know that federal and state and local police have different masters with different ideologies.

In Britain we scoff at the idea of a coup because you'd have to take on the powers that be. But in America some of the powers that be *are* the Trumpist coup.
    Civil war is a push I think but there are many ratchets between where we are now and civil war. Including the prospect of a civil Cold War: states actively working against each other and ignoring Federal law enforcement.

There are many examples around the world that have fallen short of full scale civil war or complete separation, or have reached quasi-stability after a civil war. Hezbollah in Southern Lebanon, the two communities of NI, the Taliban in Northern Pakistan, the Mafia lands of the Mezzogiorno.
  • Options

FPT

Nigelb said:

Simple as that.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

Putin need only hang on.

Nothing, really.

TimS said:

For sure. Wherever Israel was created, there would be plenty who treated its creation as an original sin.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Ireland is a bit of a special case, and plays to this. Apart from us, no-one has seriously invaded it for centuries; as a nation state it is both very new and also (partly this is idealised of course) very old. It is distinctive in western Europe in never being part of the Roman empire and also having very good sources from late antiquity. (This makes Irish early history fascinating, and far too much ignored, and far too little studied in the UK).

It is neutral and faces no threat; its people have gone all over the world, and are found everywhere where western good works are done for the poor and oppressed, and they do it fairly humbly.

There are aspects of this which give Ireland easy and cosy wins, because it has no real enemies, is small and is in the cosy part of the world. They can be hopelessly unrealistic.

But there are good things too about its unique voice and we should cherish it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Not dissimilar to the UK then
    The first part obvs, I know negative consequences for the UK concerns you a great deal.

Good job the UK isn’t a vital part of putting the the frighteners on Iran, HMS QE (which I note the RN calls the Nation’s flagship) seems to spend almost as much time in port as her sister ship which is permanently moored there as source of spare parts.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,477
    edited November 2023
    ydoethur said:

If we are doing historical statistics, here's a rather shocking one. It is over 60 years (January 1963) since Labour elected a leader other than Blair who won an election or indeed polled over 40% of the vote in an election.* The other seven leaders since Wilson (not counting Beckett, Harman and Starmer, who hasn't fought an election) haven't even looked like winning an overall majority, with the possible exception of Smith.

The stat that blew my mind recently.

Only one person born after the end of World War I has led Labour to a general election victory.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Heathener said:

Good morning all.

xx

Yes this is entirely reasonable.

As a CON supporter (although I am far from happy with the performance of the current government), I expect a LAB majority of between 10 and 50 but it is still possible they may fall short.

I think Lab landslide, with the Tories on 150 +/- 75 seats, so somewhere between 75 and 225.

There is no reason to think that Sunaks final year will be any better than last year, and it may well be worse as he grasps at Culture War straws.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Simple as that.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

Putin need only hang on.

Not least because it will be a year or two before it becomes obvious to everyone what's going to happen.
    It's very obvious what'll happen. Even the gelatinous brains of the British political class know what'll happen; they'll just choose to look the other way.

Graft.
    Withdrawal from NATO. (I actually think this woud be good for the US and good for Europe but it seems to make a certain stripe of tory piss their knickers.)
    Shitposting on socials.
    Repressive social conservatism for the masses, decadent hedonism for the inner circle.
    Impeachment of Biden. (This will be funny, TBF)
    Isolationism.
    Protectionism.
    Massive transfer of wealth to the capital owning class.
    Engineering some way to get a third term.
  • Options
    North Carolina retiree group sues to block 30-day voter residency requirement
    https://apnews.com/article/north-carolina-election-voter-5a29a18f551b28f24ed9bd25263e222b
    North Carolina laws requiring citizens to reside in the state and within a precinct at least 30 days before an election date to be eligible to vote are unlawful and must be blocked, a union-affiliated retiree group said in a federal lawsuit this week.

Lawyers for the North Carolina Alliance for Retired Americans write that the 30-day residency mandate violates the U.S. Constitution and Voting Rights Act and totally denies newcomers to the state the right to vote for no compelling reason. People who currently comply with that residency window can participate in same-day registration at early voting sites up to the Saturday before the election.

The lawsuit, if successful, could allow more people to cast ballots in the 2024 elections in the ninth-largest state, which has over 7 million registered voters and is often marked by very close results in races for president and other statewide offices. Lawyers who helped file the lawsuit on Monday on behalf of the alliance against State Board of Elections members and its executive director have represented Democratic interests previously...
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,141
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Simple as that.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

Putin need only hang on.

I'm not entirely sure that's true on this occasion (assuming a Labour government).

It wouldn't surprise me to see an increase in brown nosing of China (where Blair is being sent as vanguard at the moment)
  • Options
    Trump cannot complain that Biden's Justice Dept pursues only Republicans.

Adams left Washington abruptly. A widening corruption scandal greeted him in NYC.
    A raid at the home of Adams’ lead fundraiser adds to a growing snowball of law enforcement actions targeting figures in and around his administration.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/02/adams-nyc-raid-00125172
  • Options

DavidL said:

The first part obvs, I know negative consequences for the UK concerns you a great deal.

Good job the UK isn’t a vital part of putting the the frighteners on Iran, HMS QE (which I note the RN calls the Nation’s flagship) seems to spend almost as much time in port as her sister ship which is permanently moored there as source of spare parts.

The RN currently don't have any means to replenish at sea so QNLZ has to put into Pompey every time they run out of KitKats. I'm sure it does need repairs but so does every warship ever built.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002
    edited November 2023
    Mr turbotubbs wrote:

I’m rooting for all individual civilians who have found them selves in harms way.

That’s the real issue, surely. Whether they are Israeli or Palestinian.
  • Options
    Another guy who thinks money alone can buy votes.

Ramaswamy drops an 8-figure ad buy to close out the primary
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/02/ramaswamy-ad-buy-primary-00124984
  • Options

DavidL said:

'Unexpectedly' ?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Only one person born after the end of World War I has led Labour to a general election victory.
    Although to be fair, only three people ever have (discounting 1929).

And (to blow your mind further) only two of those have been born since the 1884 Reform Act.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Simple as that.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

Putin need only hang on.

I’m looking forward to the return of pious exclamations of ‘I”m no fan of Trump but’ and ‘you have to respect the office’ on the the second coming of the orange Leodhasach.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    DavidL said:

Ireland is almost uniquely ignorable and irrelevant. Small, neutral (even during WW2) and with zero political clout. Clashing with the EUs largest paymaster is an interesting approach.
  • Options

FPT

Snipped

You do realise this is exactly what the MAGA crowd were saying about Biden winning the 2020 election don't you? And I suspect you are as wrong on that one as they were.

Not that I want a Trump win, and I would be very distrurbed by the implications internationally. But this end of democracy stuff does get overplayed somewhat.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Simple as that.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

Putin need only hang on.

It's very obvious what'll happen. Even the gelatinous brains of the British political class know what'll happen; they'll just choose to look the other way.

Graft.
    Withdrawal from NATO. (I actually think this woud be good for the US and good for Europe but it seems to make a certain stripe of tory piss their knickers.)
    Shitposting on socials.
    Repressive social conservatism for the masses, decadent hedonism for the inner circle.
    Isolationism.
    Protectionism.
    On the last point; does the relevant law distinguish between two successive terms and two where there’s been a gap between them?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Simple as that.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

Putin need only hang on.

Graft.
    Shitposting on socials.
    Isolationism.
    Protectionism.
    Sure, there's a lot that's predictable.
    (Though it won't be impeachment of Biden as they won't have the votes; it will be the Trump's Justice Dept.)
    But politicians tend to assume everything carries on as before, until reality takes them by surprise.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Simple as that.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

Putin need only hang on.

Graft.
    Shitposting on socials.
    Isolationism.
    Protectionism.
    On the last point; does the relevant law distinguish between two successive terms and two where there’s been a gap between them?
    No.
  • Options

FPT

Snipped

You do realise this is exactly what the MAGA crowd were saying about Biden winning the 2020 election don't you? And I suspect you are as wrong on that one as they were.

Not that I want a Trump win, and I would be very distrurbed by the implications internationally. But this end of democracy stuff does get overplayed somewhat.
    I think Trump’s attempt to overturn the 2020 election counts as an attempt to end democracy.

I fear that was the Beer Hall Putsch and we know what followed next.
  • Options

FPT

Snipped

I think Trump’s attempt to overturn the 2020 election counts as an attempt to end democracy.

I fear that was the Beer Hall Putsch and we know what followed next.
    Jail and a book?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Although to be fair, only three people ever have (discounting 1929).

And (to blow your mind further) only two of those have been born since the 1884 Reform Act.
    And the one born after WWI was in fact born after WWII.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,806

DavidL said:

Oh Lawks, not again... :(
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Heathener said:

Good morning all.

xx

Not quite, m'Learned friend.

Here's the ICM series from 1996;

Conservative share spread pretty well around the final answer.

Labour share on the high side, but Lab to LD swing during the campaign didn't really help the Conservatives much.

In the mid 90s, most pollsters still weren't doing Shy Tory adjustments, which led to a lot of apparent swingback and a significant polling fail. If the polls are wrong this time, it will be for something we haven't anticipated.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

I had lunch with a pretty hard headed advertising chum yesterday who I have never heard express a coherent political view on anything being furious about the Israelis actions. He was litterally livid. He couldn't stand the thought of Israel bombing children whether or not they were shielding Hamas operatives or anyone else. It really hurt him.

Whatever we may feel about who started what we are watching a film where the little guy has tweeked the big guys nose and he is getting severely battered for it. Whether he had it coming is neither here nor there. We are all watching a dumb animal being mercilessly beaten and few can watch it dispassionately. It's hurting us individually and we're rooting for the animal.

Leaving aside your spelling, if you consider the brutal murder of 1400 people a case of 'the little guy has tweeked [sic] the big guys [sic] nose' it does rather underline why nobody is paying much attention to your views on this subject except to wince in disgust.

I'm dyslexic and without a spellchecker on this computer. So apologies for the offensive spelling
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Heathener said:

Good morning all.

xx

Governments without working majorities are an awful thing - they cannot implement most of the policies that voters have voted for, the country's problems go unaddressed, the "permanent government" of unelected civil servants get more influence and they are hostage to tiny minorities in Parliament. Or do you really think the Major and May governments after their losses in the 92 and 17 general elections were exemplars of decent government? Or that the current shitshow in the US House where the Republicans have a wafer thin majority so are at the mercy of the MAGA crowd is "in many ways a good thing"?

Of course having a working majority is not a sufficient condition for decent government - see Brown or Truss. But it is necessary.

That a party gets a long period in government is good - it must be pleasing at least tens of millions of people, or at any rate be less bad than the alternative.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,214

DavidL said:

It now moves:

https://www.navylookout.com/hms-prince-of-wales-crosses-the-atlantic-and-begins-developmental-flying-trials/

• Options

DavidL said:

Ireland is almost uniquely ignorable and irrelevant. Small, neutral (even during WW2) and with zero political clout. Clashing with the EUs largest paymaster is an interesting approach.
    At least unlike Scotland they can in turn ignore the PB pronouncers and the rsole politicians England generously shares with us. Definite win.

Ok, everyone ignores the PB pronouncers, but you get my drift.
  • Options
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

I'm dyslexic and without a spellchecker on this computer. So apologies for the offensive spelling
    'Leaving aside your spelling...'

Even if I believe you, which I'm not sure I do given your record in other matters.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    On the subject of flegs, finally found a use for AI: a one-state flag.

The results are...out of consideration for OGH, won't be posting them.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

DavidL said:

At least unlike Scotland they can in turn ignore the PB pronouncers and the rsole politicians England generously shares with us. Definite win.

Ok, everyone ignores the PB pronouncers, but you get my drift.
    Is that a new (non)regional accent, PB pronunciation?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

DavidL said:

It now moves:

https://www.navylookout.com/hms-prince-of-wales-crosses-the-atlantic-and-begins-developmental-flying-trials/

The RN seems to think it’s still under construction in Rosyth.

#fingeronthepulse

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/features/queen-elizabeth-carriers
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Simple as that.

Wake up America.

Wake up Europe.

Putin need only hang on.

Graft.
    Shitposting on socials.
    Isolationism.
    Protectionism.
    He can't withdraw from NATO - since the bipartisan Kaine-Rubio amendment he'd need a supermajority in the Senate where he'd struggle to get a dozen votes. Fortunately nobody else apart from Corbyn, Putin, the Chinese and a few American cranks want it to happen. Which certainly tells me something.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,214
    IIRC several PB posters were interested in this topic:

This discussion has been closed.