Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sir Keir Starmer: Malleus Scotnatorum? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,706
edited November 2023 in General
Sir Keir Starmer: Malleus Scotnatorum? – politicalbetting.com

@scottishlabour extends general election lead over @theSNP to six points, at 38% v 32%, says new @YouGov poll for Scottish Election Study – @severincarrell reports https://t.co/0XWW5U4KhV

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Malleus Scotnatorum is an awesome pun.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Top class ! Next time buy some gold shoes.
  • Options

My last pair of trainers have a bit of gold on them.

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,820
    High winds now starting to hit the South East coast. But look at the wind map

https://www.xcweather.co.uk/m/GB/Map/Wind

Really defined calm centre of the storm, not an eye as such as this isn’t a closed hurricane but similar effect. So if you’re inland you’re probably wondering what the fuss is about.
  • Options

Class, it's like Run DMC never went away.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,835
    TimS said:

Really defined calm centre of the storm, not an eye as such as this isn’t a closed hurricane but similar effect. So if you’re inland you’re probably wondering what the fuss is about.

Yes, trees barely moving when I look out my Leics window.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

Some rain here in inland N Essex but it doesn’t appear particularly windy.

Morning Greetings to all!
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

I can see why all those teachers in Southampton have got the day off today, some leaves have been blown off of the trees!!!
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

I wonder how Scots view the Gaza-Israel situation. May end up having a disproportionate impact given that the contest there is mostly SNP-Labour (so there's a much reduced 'kick the Conservatives' angle to benefit Labour).
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881
    “Humza Yousaf’s strategy about using the next Westminster general election to further Scottish independence might be flawed”

I don’t think that’s his strategy. I think it’s the other way round. He wants to use support for Scottish independence to further the SNP. Right now indy-minded voters are drifting to Labour.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,480
    edited November 2023
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

Same here, just some light, vertically descending rain.

But that linked map suggests there is a second dose of wind coming along the coast!

Although according to windy.com, the worst is already passed
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,946

Are you starring in a rap video?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited November 2023
    As with his lead in England, Starmer has had little to do with it. Any time he has to make a decision and defend it, he comes across as an indecisive, dishonest panderer who can't generate any enthusiasm. His opponents have obligingly self-destructed in both countries, that's all.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,599

What’s with the low key look?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

But that linked map suggests there is a second dose of wind coming along the coast!

Much damage on the Island? Mrs Foxy off to see her family there at the weekend.
  • Options
    Can I channel @Big_G_NorthWales by starting with "Good morning" (and hope you and yours are well Big G)

Scottish voters want to punish the Tories and the SNP? Great! So what do I do in the new Aberdeen North and Moray East seat? Want rid of the lickspittle David Duguid, but don't want to vote for the NippieNats either.

Lab and LD both well down in previous elections in both seats that merge into the new one. So on paper we will have the corrupt Tories and the corrupt SNP getting a shellacking. In favour of whom?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,820
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

I think the worst has passed for the IoW. No direct hit. Kent and Sussex still not peaked.

The worst winds have been over Northern France. 120mph recorded in Brittany overnight.
  • Options

Can I channel @Big_G_NorthWales by starting with "Good morning" (and hope you and yours are well Big G)

Scottish voters want to punish the Tories and the SNP? Great! So what do I do in the new Aberdeen North and Moray East seat? Want rid of the lickspittle David Duguid, but don't want to vote for the NippieNats either.

Lab and LD both well down in previous elections in both seats that merge into the new one. So on paper we will have the corrupt Tories and the corrupt SNP getting a shellacking. In favour of whom?

Vote Tory, destroy Scottish Nationalism, unlike Brexit, Scottish independence can never be undone.
  • Options
    O/T

Assuming Labour cut deeply in to SNP seats, it will be interesting to see how they manage things going forward. I have always been of the opinion that SLab constantly grievance mongering about the Tories at Westminster did half of the SNPs job for them. As a result SLab shot themselves in the foot.

They now have a chance to reset the message, but what will they say ?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,837
    The 'anti-Davos'
    https://www.politico.eu/article/this-global-right-wing-movement-wants-to-save-the-world-it-just-needs-a-plan/

Just sounds like a gaggle of right wing oddballs.
    ...ARC was first announced by right-wing commentator Jordan Peterson earlier this year, with the anti-woke mascot revealing in a YouTube video that he had “set up an international consortium in London” and was “trying to put together something like an alternative vision of the future — an alternative to the apocalyptic narrative.”

The event has been closely watched in the U.K. in particular, where, on current polling, the Conservatives look set to lose the coming election. Tellingly, Cabinet ministers Michael Gove and Kemi Badenoch — hotly-tipped as a future Tory leader — put in appearances.

ARC appears to have real clout behind it, too. Paul Marshall, a major investor in the upstart right-wing British broadcaster GB News and funder of the increasingly popular comment and analysis website UnHerd, is one of the directors. Marshall, who is worth £680m according to the Sunday Times Rich List, is rumored to be looking to buy right-leaning staples the Telegraph and the Spectator.

He is joined at the helm of ARC by Alan McCormick, current chairman of GB News, who is also a partner of Dubai-based investment group Legatum, which is partly funding the conference. The list of those backing the event runs long, and includes Former Australian Prime Minister John Howard, and ex-U.S. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy...
  • Options

Vote Tory, destroy Scottish Nationalism, unlike Brexit, Scottish independence can never be undone.
    Funny man. Vote Tory? Vote for corruption and incompetence? Vote for Fuck Business? Vote for Fuck You if you are poor? I could do the whole Trainspotting list but you know the rest.

I think the Sindy ship has sailed. A fever dream dissipated by the realities of Brexit. We would need a far more convincing set of politicians than the SNP or (stop giggling) Alba to persuade people to hurl themselves off the cliff into darkness.
  • Options

Yes, but an SNP MP at Westminster or not doesn't alter the dial on independence a jot.

Vote for the party that you want. It might be more clear after the next GE who is the best alternative to the Blue Meanies for a Unionist voter.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

As with his lead in England, Starmer has had little to do with it. Any time he has to make a decision and defend it, he comes across as an indecisive, dishonest panderer who can't generate any enthusiasm. His opponents have obligingly self-destructed in both countries, that's all.

I’m guessing his opponents in England would pimp out their grannies (if they hadn’t already done so) to be on 32% in any poll. Indeed such a number would set PB Tories into a frenzy of hope casting for weeks.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,480
    edited November 2023
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Much damage on the Island? Mrs Foxy off to see her family there at the weekend.
    A few closed roads, ferries cancelled although likely to resume shortly, a few trees down. Really not a big deal so far and no worse than last week - yes, lots of wind and rain, but we're not in Storm Eunice territory which ripped ridge tiles off my roof and bust open the conservatory.

It looks like the worst was further south.
  • Options

O/T

Assuming Labour cut deeply in to SNP seats, it will be interesting to see how they manage things going forward. I have always been of the opinion that SLab constantly grievance mongering about the Tories at Westminster did half of the SNPs job for them. As a result SLab shot themselves in the foot.

Remember that the key reason that Scottish Labour had their ELE was massive arrogance. They genuinely believed that their massive vote was owned, so a load of their old MPs didn't bother to door knock or engage with constituents or do any work.

I envisage that the new MPs elected will have been directed to do the basics this time, which will boost their chances of reelection. As for relations with the Scottish Tories it depends on what the SCons say and do. They have had some good leaders (Davidson) and some terrible leaders (DRoss). If they pick Duguid next, they are truly doomed.
  • Options

It's his dress down Friday pair.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608
    edited November 2023
    This is truly disgraceful from the SNP Government.

EXCLUSIVE: Microsoft Team chat messages within Scottish Government auto-delete after just five days, raising fresh concerns about government transparency and records keeping

https://twitter.com/conor_matchett/status/1719988325698662523

I mean, why the fuck are they using Microsoft Teams?
  • Options

Funny man. Vote Tory? Vote for corruption and incompetence? Vote for Fuck Business? Vote for Fuck You if you are poor? I could do the whole Trainspotting list but you know the rest.

I think the Sindy ship has sailed. A fever dream dissipated by the realities of Brexit. We would need a far more convincing set of politicians than the SNP or (stop giggling) Alba to persuade people to hurl themselves off the cliff into darkness.
    You voted Brexit and regretted it immediately, if you vote SNP you will regret it even more.
  • Options
    I'm disappointed the Battle of Zama didn't feature in this.
  • Options

O/T

Remember that the key reason that Scottish Labour had their ELE was massive arrogance. They genuinely believed that their massive vote was owned, so a load of their old MPs didn't bother to door knock or engage with constituents or do any work.

I envisage that the new MPs elected will have been directed to do the basics this time, which will boost their chances of reelection. As for relations with the Scottish Tories it depends on what the SCons say and do. They have had some good leaders (Davidson) and some terrible leaders (DRoss). If they pick Duguid next, they are truly doomed.
    For the next decade at least the "enemy" is the SNP, targeting a half dozen tories in Scotland does not make sense. But that said I wouldnt put it past SLab to keep fighting the war before last. Whereas if Labour want to leverage their scottish seats in the UK Parlt, they need to be making their case for the Union.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608
    edited November 2023
    Nigelb said:

Fake news, these Christian Louboutins are my dress down Friday footwear.

https://www.flannels.com/christian-louboutin-christian-louboutin-disco-spark-trainers-mens-119600#colcode=11960099
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,330

EXCLUSIVE: Microsoft Team chat messages within Scottish Government auto-delete after just five days, raising fresh concerns about government transparency and records keeping

Genuine question, as my Uni uses Teams, what is the issue with using it (that’s not a geeky computer reason)?
  • Options

Hah.

There's a piece in drafts that compares the SNP rule 2007 to 2024 to the first part of the Second Punic War.

Obviously Yousaf = Hannibal and Starmer = Scipio Africanus.
  • Options

O/T

For the next decade at least the "enemy" is the SNP, targeting a half dozen tories in Scotland does not make sense. But that said I wouldnt put it past SLab to keep fighting the war before last. Whereas if Labour want to leverage their scottish seats in the UK Parlt, they need to be making their case for the Union.
    Sane politicians have opponents, not 'enemies'.
    And it's pretty daft to suggest Labour makes common cause with the Tories in Scotland. Independence will always be there as an issue, but as a realistic prospect, is likely gone for the next decade.
  • Options

Genuine question, as my Uni uses Teams, what is the issue with using it (that’s not a geeky computer reason)?
    https://www.techradar.com/news/microsoft-teams-is-not-the-safe-haven-you-think-it-is
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,458

O/T

Most likely Russell Findlay MSP. Former journalist who suffered a doorstep acid attack while reporting on Glasgow's criminal gangs. Comes across as quite a tough cookie.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Nigelb said:

O/T

And it's pretty daft to suggest Labour makes common cause with the Tories in Scotland. Independence will always be there as an issue, but as a realistic prospect, is likely gone for the next decade.
    On the issue of the Union its not daft at all. Its the how will they do it,
  • Options

You voted Brexit and regretted it immediately, if you vote SNP you will regret it even more.
    I'm not voting SNP. Its the debate about LD or Lab as to can either threaten the other two.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Shirley the understated Address The Board pair?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,458

O/T

You're right about that: there was a constant drone from Labour and the LibDems for years about the "English" Tories. And it was a successful political strategy leading to the Tory wipeout in 97. Helped to make nationalism respectable. In 2015 they were in turn consumed by the monster they had helped create.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146

Hah.

There's a piece in drafts that compares the SNP rule 2007 to 2024 to the first part of the Second Punic War.

Obviously Yousaf = Hannibal and Starmer = Scipio Africanus.
    Yousaf with the elephants in the room?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

https://www.flannels.com/christian-louboutin-christian-louboutin-disco-spark-trainers-mens-119600#colcode=11960099
    You realise "fake news" is ambiguous there?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277
    If this is the level of discourse we’ve descended to there is no hope.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67294809
  • Options
    Do Man Utd fans ever wonder that they should have given Moyes a bit more of a chance?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

New Quinnipiac Poll:

- Biden 39%
    - Trump 36%
    - RFK Jr. 22%

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3881

I know RFK is a loon, and all, but at 20% he gets a seat in the debates. And if he's in the debates, he's likely to be by far the most compis mentis candidate.
    Cheeky scenario:

The Republicans have a lucid moment and ditch Trump.

He runs as an independent and taps RFKJ as his Veep.

Well, why not? They're both former Democrats. They're both crooks. They're both in Putin's arsehole if not his back pocket. They both owe their position to their fathers rather than any merits of their own. They're both completely crazy.
    RFK is a crook? I presume he is grifting off the anti-vax stuff/semi-demi-presidential bid - anything else?
    Apart from the multiple drugs offences and various acts of criminal trespass?
    Is that all? He’s a Kennedy. That’s the stuff they do while waiting for the driver to bring the car round.
  • Options
    I suspect this is just cosplay to preserve the illusion that SLab is an independent entity.

The centrist dads’ latest line on Starmer ferreting all over the place on Gaza is what does it matter what the leader of the opposition says on the issue, it changes nothing (but that weirdly doesn’t seem to translate to Corbyn). I imagine that applies even more to the Scottish sub branch manager.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

If this is the level of discourse we’ve descended to there is no hope.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67294809

David Cameron was never more right when he said too many tweets make a twat. Those words should be his legacy.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I see your historical footing remains as firm as a drunk, on ice, wearing clown shoes, in a hurricane.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Amongst my friends, they know when I say ‘fake news’ I am denying something that is demonstrably true.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

O/T

On the issue of the Union its not daft at all. Its the how will they do it,
    English Tories (ie most of them) really should be making common cause with the SNP given an independent England would be far more Tory than the Union is. I don’t understand this nostalgic attachment to the United Kingdom. What’s the point of it?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,039
    Interesting interview with nightclub doorman lookalike Gen. Zaluzhny here in which he shares a Leonesque analysis of the SMO. Specifically: a) it's a stalemate and b) Ukraine are going to run out of people before Russia does.

The fact that it's in the in-house journal of the CIA probably means something but I can't decide what. Maybe they are prepping him for the succession when the bin liner full of green t-shirts goes off to the charity shop.
  • Options

I suspect this is just cosplay to preserve the illusion that SLab is an independent entity.

The centrist dads’ latest line on Starmer ferreting all over the place on Gaza is what does it matter what the leader of the opposition says on the issue, it changes nothing (but that weirdly doesn’t seem to translate to Corbyn). I imagine that applies even more to the Scottish sub branch manager.

You’ve managed to get many of your greatest hits into that post. Well done.
  • Options
    Broken, sleazy SNP on the slide!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The 'anti-Davos'
    https://www.politico.eu/article/this-global-right-wing-movement-wants-to-save-the-world-it-just-needs-a-plan/

...ARC was first announced by right-wing commentator Jordan Peterson earlier this year, with the anti-woke mascot revealing in a YouTube video that he had “set up an international consortium in London” and was “trying to put together something like an alternative vision of the future — an alternative to the apocalyptic narrative.”

The event has been closely watched in the U.K. in particular, where, on current polling, the Conservatives look set to lose the coming election. Tellingly, Cabinet ministers Michael Gove and Kemi Badenoch — hotly-tipped as a future Tory leader — put in appearances.

ARC appears to have real clout behind it, too. Paul Marshall, a major investor in the upstart right-wing British broadcaster GB News and funder of the increasingly popular comment and analysis website UnHerd, is one of the directors. Marshall, who is worth £680m according to the Sunday Times Rich List, is rumored to be looking to buy right-leaning staples the Telegraph and the Spectator.

He is joined at the helm of ARC by Alan McCormick, current chairman of GB News, who is also a partner of Dubai-based investment group Legatum, which is partly funding the conference. The list of those backing the event runs long, and includes Former Australian Prime Minister John Howard, and ex-U.S. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy...

I wouldn't be so ready to write this off. Marshall is putting a lot of money into promoting right wing causes, it is well networked across the English speaking world, this alliance has already delivered one policy "win" - Brexit - and it clearly has ambitions to shake up politics on the right - with the UK Tory party ripe for a takeover next year. Precisely what Marshall wants to achieve is unclear but he is a devout Christian - a lot of his projects are called Ark or variations on that theme so I think that is a clue to his mindset. There's an interesting piece on him in the FT - I think it makes sense to view him as an increasingly important political player, with UnHerd and GB News only the start of his ambitions. Just because much of this seems absurd - stupid person's idea of a smart person Jordan Peterson is signed up, natch - doesn't mean we shouldn't take it seriously.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Interesting interview with nightclub doorman lookalike Gen. Zaluzhny here in which he shares a Leonesque analysis of the SMO. Specifically: a) it's a stalemate and b) Ukraine are going to run out of people before Russia does.

The fact that it's in the in-house journal of the CIA probably means something but I can't decide what. Maybe they are prepping him for the succession when the bin liner full of green t-shirts goes off to the charity shop.

What does the last sentence of that post mean?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Do Man Utd fans ever wonder that they should have given Moyes a bit more of a chance?

A succession of bad management choices by bad owners. I'm not sure that Moyes was good enough, but 10 months was ridiculously short.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,672
    edited November 2023
    Hilarious reading about what complete arseholes Hollywood celebs are in The Times this morning. Name after name here:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/egos-tantrums-and-the-life-of-the-hollywood-pa-8vb78nfqz

Two that come out well: Kate Winslet and Meryl Streep. Also Jennifer Lawrence and Matthew Perry. The rest, not so much.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

I mean when the US does the inevitable 'Cable 243' on Zelensky they are going to need somebody else so maybe Zaluzhny.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Amongst my friends, they know when I say ‘fake news’ I am denying something that is demonstrably true.
    As long as you did not mean news about fakes!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Shirley the understated Address The Board pair?
    These are my board meeting/chair a quorum shoes.

• Options
    DougSeal said:

As ever grateful to count you as an assiduous follower of my posts. I didn’t even have to summon you with a ‘Scotch expert’!
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

I mean when the US does the inevitable 'Cable 243' on Zelensky they are going to need somebody else so maybe Zaluzhny.
    ‘Cable 243’? Don’t worry, I’ll Google it.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,952
    DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

Zelensky's resignation.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

As ever grateful to count you as an assiduous follower of my posts. I didn’t even have to summon you with a ‘Scotch expert’!
    Don’t flatter yourself. Overall, there aren’t that many regular posters on here. I pay no special attention to you.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    Few will mourn the SNP.

Hilarious reading about what complete arseholes Hollywood celebs are in The Times this morning. Name after name here:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/egos-tantrums-and-the-life-of-the-hollywood-pa-8vb78nfqz

Two that come out well: Kate Winslet and Meryl Streep. Also Jennifer Lawrence and Matthew Perry. The rest, not so much.

The Hollywood arseholes can neatly be summed up by those who defend Polanski or enabled Weinstein.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

When the US decided Diem was being a pain in the dick in South Vietnam, 'Cable 243' was the message they sent to the US Ambassador telling him to get a coup going ASAFP. Diem got the traditional retirement gift of the US satrap; death by small arms fire.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Eabhal said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

Zelensky's resignation.
    A bit of Googling around Dura Ace’s latest Delphic offering and its later quasi-clarification suggests he meant a less voluntary departure on the part of the Ukrainian leader.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    Not much wind up here, but it is hammering it down. And forecast to do so for 24 hours. River levels are already high.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

When the US decided Diem was being a pain in the dick in South Vietnam, 'Cable 243' was the message they sent to the US Ambassador telling him to get a coup going ASAFP. Diem got the traditional retirement gift of the US satrap; death by small arms fire.
    As I gather.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403

There are a few seats like that. I am going to be in Angus and Perthshire Glens. On the last election the SNP were 38%, the Tories were about 32% and Labour were next on 19%. I think on current swings this seat could be seriously competitive with the Tories down a bit but the SNP down a lot. The risk is that quite a lot of Unionists will vote Labour and let the SNP hold on. If I had remained In Dundee west I would have voted Labour.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,952
    DougSeal said:

Eabhal said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

Zelensky's resignation.
    A bit of Googling around Dura Axe’s latest Delphic offering and its later quasi-clarification suggests he meant a less voluntary departure on the part of the Ukrainian leader.
    "Resignation", perhaps
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735
    edited November 2023
    Good morning all.

My musing this morning is whether Rishi Sunak is the unluckiest General since ... I don't know ... John Major?

On top of all the failed Hail Mary passes, including the "Long Term Decisions (LOL) for a Brighter Future", and ULEZ showing signs of working better than I for one was expecting, is Rishi now going to have continual revelations of the moral turpitude of the Governments he served in as the soundtrack to the period from now to the General Election?

Smacking slightly of a man trying to use the paddle inside his own canoe, knocking holes in the bottom.

Thanks for the header. Tory share in Scotland ticking up slightly? Hmmm.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    edited November 2023

The 2019 result on 2023 boundaries was Con 38.9, SNP 31.4, Lab 20.3, LD 2.1, Green 2.0

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/calcwork23.py?seat=Aberdeenshire North and Moray East

Assuming a 7 point Con-Lab swing and a 5 point SNP-Lab swing - both fairly modest assumptions on current polling - it looks like a Labour gain. If you don't want to vote Con or SNP it's certainly the best bet.

Perhaps you might even consider rejoining? Lots of people who left in 2019 have, not least a recent by-election winner.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Good morning all.

My musing this morning is whether Rishi Sunak is the unluckiest General since ... I don't know ... John Major?

On top of all the failed Hail Mary passes, including the "Long Term Decisions (LOL) for a Brighter Future", and ULEZ showing signs of working better than I for one was expecting, is Rishi now going to have continual revelations of the moral turpitude of the Governments he served in as the soundtrack to the period from now to the General Election?

Smacking slightly of a man trying to use the paddle inside his own canoe, knocking holes in the bottom.

Thanks for the header. Tory share in Scotland ticking up slightly? Hmmm.

They should have just gone with ‘Sensible Policies for a Happier Britain’.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

DougSeal said:

Eabhal said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

Zelensky's resignation.
    A bit of Googling around Dura Axe’s latest Delphic offering and its later quasi-clarification suggests he meant a less voluntary departure on the part of the Ukrainian leader.
    "Resignation", perhaps
    Charitably, yes.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

The 'anti-Davos'

I wouldn't be so ready to write this off. Marshall is putting a lot of money into promoting right wing causes, it is well networked across the English speaking world, this alliance has already delivered one policy "win" - Brexit - and it clearly has ambitions to shake up politics on the right - with the UK Tory party ripe for a takeover next year. Precisely what Marshall wants to achieve is unclear but he is a devout Christian - a lot of his projects are called Ark or variations on that theme so I think that is a clue to his mindset. There's an interesting piece on him in the FT - I think it makes sense to view him as an increasingly important political player, with UnHerd and GB News only the start of his ambitions. Just because much of this seems absurd - stupid person's idea of a smart person Jordan Peterson is signed up, natch - doesn't mean we shouldn't take it seriously.
    It seems pretty clear that he wishes to import US style culture war conservatism.
    Quite telling that someone like Badenoch sounds positively restrained in that company.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

The 'anti-Davos'

It seems pretty clear that he wishes to import US style culture war conservatism.
    Quite telling that someone like Badenoch sounds positively restrained in that company.

US style conservatism needs US style religiosity. We have our own ways of tearing each other apart but I don’t think we have the religious equivalent of Southern US religiosity.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

There are a few seats like that. I am going to be in Angus and Perthshire Glens. On the last election the SNP were 38%, the Tories were about 32% and Labour were next on 19%. I think on current swings this seat could be seriously competitive with the Tories down a bit but the SNP down a lot. The risk is that quite a lot of Unionists will vote Labour and let the SNP hold on. If I had remained In Dundee west I would have voted Labour.
    The difference is that you consider voting Conservative to be a moral option. I do not. The SNP want to dissolve the union by seceding. The Tories want to dissolve the union by trashing it so badly that all of the component parts want to leave.

One party is corrupt, the other is corrupt. One party is incompetent, the other is incompetent. They *both* need to lose. Badly lose.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

The comparison of Ukraine with Vietnam is uncharacteristically stupid from Dura. Who seems unable to come to terms with the fact that a former Russian possession is a democracy.
  • Options
    FPT
    viewcode said:

Taz said:

Marks and Spencer seems to have triggered one of the extremes on the Palestine-Israel divide

Their spineless craven apology only shows them in a bad light.

https://x.com/arfdy12/status/1719923377744585134?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ

Never apologise. It only makes things worse.
    I don’t mind apologising. I am so rarely wrong, like once in a decade, apologising shows humility which I have oodles of.

Though some of my apologies do need some work

‘I am sorry for calling you stupid, I thought you knew.’
  • Options

The 2019 result on 2023 boundaries was Con 38.9, SNP 31.4, Lab 20.3, LD 2.1, Green 2.0

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/calcwork23.py?seat=Aberdeenshire North and Moray East

Assuming a 7 point Con-Lab swing and a 5 point SNP-Lab swing - both fairly modest assumptions on current polling - it looks like a Labour gain. If you don't want to vote Con or SNP it's certainly the best bet.

Perhaps you might even consider rejoining? Lots of people who left in 2019 have, not least a recent by-election winner.
    Point of order.
    That's a predicted result based on current polling.
    Not the implied 2019 result.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

The comparison of Ukraine with Vietnam is uncharacteristically stupid from Dura. Who seems unable to come to terms with the fact that a former Russian possession is a democracy.
    I enjoy his posts. The unexplained vistas of the military terminology I have no idea whatsoever about adds to the mystery.
  • Options
    Comprehensive list for followers of US politics.

Your Cheat Sheet to the 2023 General Elections
    https://boltsmag.org/whats-on-the-ballot/2023-general-election/
  • Options
    edited November 2023

FPT

viewcode said:

Taz said:

Marks and Spencer seems to have triggered one of the extremes on the Palestine-Israel divide

I don’t mind apologising. I am so rarely wrong, like once in a decade, apologising shows humility which I have oodles of.

You apologised to me. I now feel doubly honoured.

I never apologise in letters or emails anymore. I thank the recipient for their patience.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2023

These are the same group of people who lecture everybody on every trendy social issue and to be kind to everybody.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361

O/T

When 'Independence vs the Union' is spotlighted it's good for the SNP because they have a lock on one side of that. So I'd say Labour's interests are best served not talking about it. For now anyway.
  • Options

These are the same group of people who lecture everybody on every trendy social issue and to be kind to everybody.
    They don’t lecture people. They are famous so the media just latches onto their every word. We lecture just as much on here but we are all but screaming into the void.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403

DavidL said:

The difference is that you consider voting Conservative to be a moral option. I do not. The SNP want to dissolve the union by seceding. The Tories want to dissolve the union by trashing it so badly that all of the component parts want to leave.

One party is corrupt, the other is corrupt. One party is incompetent, the other is incompetent. They *both* need to lose. Badly lose.
    For me the most important issue is the Union and I would vote for whichever party was likely to defeat the SNP who really need a hammering if their poisonous grip on Scotland is to be broken. I will vote Conservative next time with the least enthusiasm that I have voted for anything but, in my view, it needs to be done.

I am hopeful that the Labour government of the next 10 years or so will undermine the SNP who will no longer be able to say that Scotland has a government that they did not vote for. That should make the Union safe. But at the end of the day in your position I would vote Labour even although I think Nick's calculation is somewhat optimistic.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

I enjoy his posts. The unexplained vistas of the military terminology I have no idea whatsoever about adds to the mystery.
    Me too.
    But he's reading rather a lot into what sounds like a fairly straightforward plea for more (and more advanced) weaponry from the US.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2023
    DougSeal said:

They don’t lecture people. They are famous so the media just latches onto their every word. We lecture just as much on here but we are all but screaming into the void.
    Have you not heard them at award ceremonies.....
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Don’t flatter yourself. Overall, there aren’t that many regular posters on here. I pay no special attention to you.
    Phew.
    I've heard that you're not averse to doing a bit of 'research' on other posters. Lucky escape for me I suppose.
  • Options

Hang on.
    Banff & Buchan: Labour 4th.
    Moray East: Labour 3rd, only 163 votes ahead of LD in 4th.

There are some interesting predictions in their maths, including adding parties who are unlikely to run. Their ward predictions look interesting too - apparently the LD vote in the Troup ward will be 94. I got 260 there last year and that was a council election.

Appreciate the "why not rejoin" offer. I don't think my politics and Labour's were that well aligned towards the back end of my time there and I've drifted more to the radical centre since.

Besides which from what I can see there isn't a Labour Party up here to join. They don't have a presence at all, no candidates run for council etc. We want the Tories out, and I know you're not a Labour absolutist Nick...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Few will mourn the SNP.

The Hollywood arseholes can neatly be summed up by those who defend Polanski or enabled Weinstein.
    Is 'Few will mourn the SNP' your default header for every post now?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    Of course the more Scottish seats Labour gain from the SNP, the fewer English seats they need to gain from the Conservatives, helping their path to a UK overall majority
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

FPT

viewcode said:

Taz said:

You apologised to me. I now feel doubly honoured.

I never apologise in letters or emails anymore. I thank the recipient for their patience.
    One bit of advice I would give to my younger self is never admit you were wrong to your girlfriends.

They store that for years and use it against you whenever they are wrong.
  • Options
    Mr. Seal, I wonder if a religious studies teacher at Batley Grammar School would feel US style religiosity to be an improvement on the current state of affairs.
  • Options
    New figures from the Office for National Statistics reveal the number of UK workers in low-paid jobs (on an hourly rate of less than two thirds of the average) has dropped to 8.9%. The lowest in 26 years…

Which would be great if cost of living / inflation / interest rates weren't so much higher.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,947
    HYUFD said:

Of course the more Scottish seats Labour gain from the SNP, the fewer English seats they need to gain from the Conservatives, helping their path to a UK overall majority

Doesn't help them if they still have a minority of English constituencies, and the Tories have more.
  • Options

New figures from the Office for National Statistics reveal the number of UK workers in low-paid jobs (on an hourly rate of less than two thirds of the average) has dropped to 8.9%. The lowest in 26 years…

Which would be great if cost of living / inflation / interest rates weren't so much higher.

Making it even worse for the 8.9%.
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.