Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Glad to be back with PB – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071

Leon said:

I think the David Baddiels Rachel Riley hardliners Zionists will hate parts of that speech.

The most urgent issue is to stop the deaths in Gaza and get hostages released.

Because of the situation there has been a dereliction of duty about not enforcing the 2 state solution.

Wow FFS never expected that kind of statement. Luke Akehurst will be an unhappy Israel Lobbyist.

How is David "Fuck Israel" Baddiel a "hardliner zionist"?

His entire pitch is that as a British Jew the state of Israel has literally fuck all to do with him.

https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1205468962345177088
    https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1131199529217351681
    Yes, Baddiel is the oppposite of a hardline Zionist. That's worse than a lie, it's a smear

He is, however, highly alert to the rise of anti-Semitism, and has been for some time. Seems he has a point

"Chilling echoes of the Nazis as 60 Stars of David are spray-painted over buildings in Paris, as France sees spate of anti-Semitism since Israel-Hamas war broke out https://trib.al/VZ5Xmvj"

https://x.com/DailyMailUK/status/1719338586535804976?s=20
    It comes down again to the lazy sterotype that those are the most vocal about Jewish issue must therefore be also passionate Zionists. Of course, even within Israel, many Haredi Jews (the ultra othrodox) are massively opposed to the Zionist movement.
    Yep. The radical left are completely incapable of separating the two.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501
    TOPPING said:

I think the David Baddiels Rachel Riley hardliners Zionists will hate parts of that speech.

The most urgent issue is to stop the deaths in Gaza and get hostages released.

Because of the situation there has been a dereliction of duty about not enforcing the 2 state solution.

Wow FFS never expected that kind of statement. Luke Akehurst will be an unhappy Israel Lobbyist.

How is David "Fuck Israel" Baddiel a "hardliner zionist"?

His entire pitch is that as a British Jew the state of Israel has literally fuck all to do with him.

https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1205468962345177088
    https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1131199529217351681
    Let's not overthink this. To a certain group of PBers it is "The Jews".

The same people who want to kill Jews now wanted to kill @bigjohnowls a couple of years ago. When he was crapping himself in his hotel room he should really have walked outside and screamed Free Palestine at his attackers.
    I dunno about BoJo, it seems you're the Trolley. Unless my memory's going and it wasn't you who (rather against the Herd) said that to criticize Israel *was* to criticize Jews as a whole.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,880
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Interesting piece from admittedly a highly partisan source indicating that Trump is indeed losing it: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/10/2/2196811/-Donald-Trump-is-unraveling-and-the-media-is-covering-it-up

I particularly liked the part about rather being electrocuted than being eaten by a shark.

In contrast, I think Biden has been extremely Presidential in the way he has dealt with the Hamas crisis. It plays to his strengths and long experience but he has been measured, clear and not at all afraid of action (as shown by the air raids in Iraq and the interception of missiles in the Red Sea).

I think the multiplicity of law suits, the increasing risks to his wealth and indeed his liberty, is making Trump desperate. His fund raising is increasingly focused on paying for the plethora of lawyers he needs to deploy. Assumptions about him being the Republican nominee may well prove to be misplaced.

Yes. For me if you take a holistic impressionist view of the Donald Trump situation rather than an analytical mechanistic one (a Monet rather than a Stubbs if you will) you see a man with little chance of regaining the White House. The 2.9 current price is truly something to behold imo. I envy people with a clean book who can start laying him at that sort of level.
    You keep trying to apply a rational analysis to American politics. At the moment we are deep into shark jump territory. Or perhaps.... General Boulanger territory. A large chunk of the population will vote for Trump, no matter what. He has a solid lock one of the two main parties.
    Take your point but no, I'm doing the opposite of that on this one. I'm usually Mr Spock but here I'm Captain Kirk. I'm using fuzzy 'big pic' intuition not bottoms up logical analysis. I've learnt to trust it when I have it. There'll be no POTUS Trump 2.0.
    Given the solid MAGA lock on the vote counting and affirming process, in many states?

"The people will vote. My brother will count the votes" - Napoleon.

Good luck with that thinking.
    We will see. I'm pretty confident.
    Have we mentioned the success of Democrats and their allies in litigating to roll back race-based and other gerrymandering by Republicans? It's currently worth an estimated 5-6 seats or so, with more to come.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,138
    Speaking of the zero carbon economy, this looks a very interesting alternative to the electrolysis of water to produce 'green' hydrogen as a renewables fuel store.
    The process also involves CO2 capture, and the product is far easier to store and transport.

A carbon-efficient bicarbonate electrolyzer
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S266638642300485X?via=ihub
    ...To summarize, from captured liquid bicarbonate or saturated liquid/solid bicarbonate feedstocks, we can produce solid metal formates (crystalized KOOCH, NaOOCH) of high purity with nearly 100% carbon efficiency and decent current density at ambient pressure and temperature (Figure 4). The full-cell reaction achieved is ΔHf°(KHCO3 KOOCH + ½O2) = 3.13 eV,41,42 which is highly analogous to water splitting ΔHf°(H2O H2 + ½O2) = 2.96 eV,43 with no net acid or base produced; thus the pH of both the catholyte and anolyte compartments are maintained with the use of a single CEM and a buffer layer. The dominance of a high concentration of dissolved bicarbonate over carbonate by maintaining appreciable H+(aq) is of vital importance to achieving enhanced carbon efficiency and FE of CO2ER, and this could be facilely implemented by near-neutral-pH anolyte, CEM, and CO2 partial pressure management. The direct and complete conversion of highly concentrated bicarbonate liquor in mild conditions is significant to the seamless coupling of carbon dioxide capture and electroreduction. A “formate economy” is envisioned, where metal formates play the role of “solid hydrogen” that are much easier to store over decadal timescales. A DFFC that oxidizes our produced fuel and generates electricity is also demonstrated...
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

I’ve been saying Ukraine will end a muddy, Korean style armistice for well over a year, on PB

That prediction looks as accurate as ever, right now

...and you would have been wrong, as there was a massive fallback by RUS to the present lines in around November 2022. However, if you made the more accurate claim of "I’ve been saying Ukraine will end in a muddy, Korean style armistice for around six months, on PB", you would be correct.

I never said what particular frontiers would be established. I predicted a muddy, Korean-style armistice, with the batlelines frozen as they are at the time of the armistice. There is a good chance that will be roughly where they are now. Does either side have the men, money, materiel for another go next spring?
    That the lines will be frozen at the position of the armistice is an easy prediction.

Whether the lines will be on the Polish border or on the Ukrainian border with the Republic of China is the question. Or somewhere in between.
    OK I'll stick my neck out. Ukraine is never getting Crimea back

It will almost certainly never get the Donbas back. It is fairly unlikely to get the other occupied territories back (though this is with decreasing certainty)

For the purposes of clarity, I do not call this a Russian victory. I do not want a Russian victory and I do not believe this IS a victory, not in the long term. Russia has expended vast amounts of blood and treasure to win some impoverished provinces and a slender land bridge to precious Crimea (but it already had Crimea). It has strengthened and unified NATO and now has a vast new NATO border with Finland. The remaining Ukrainian state will now loathe Russia, for generations, meaning Ptuin has created a newly hostile power right on the doorstep. And at the same time the Russian military has been exposed as fairly crap, and Russia has lost a million bright young people to emigration

Medium/long term this is a disaster for Russia

However I am clear headed enough to see
    where this war has been going for a long time, now, which is: pretty much nowhere
    Your proposal - roughly the current lines - is not a viable state for Ukraine.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,397
    Perhaps the ×××× that is Boris Johnson reviewed his opinion to let old people get covid after he got it himself. Noone wants anyone to die but I hope he had a really miserable time with it. He REALLY IS a piece of work.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,811
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Interesting piece from admittedly a highly partisan source indicating that Trump is indeed losing it: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/10/2/2196811/-Donald-Trump-is-unraveling-and-the-media-is-covering-it-up

I particularly liked the part about rather being electrocuted than being eaten by a shark.

In contrast, I think Biden has been extremely Presidential in the way he has dealt with the Hamas crisis. It plays to his strengths and long experience but he has been measured, clear and not at all afraid of action (as shown by the air raids in Iraq and the interception of missiles in the Red Sea).

I think the multiplicity of law suits, the increasing risks to his wealth and indeed his liberty, is making Trump desperate. His fund raising is increasingly focused on paying for the plethora of lawyers he needs to deploy. Assumptions about him being the Republican nominee may well prove to be misplaced.

Yes. For me if you take a holistic impressionist view of the Donald Trump situation rather than an analytical mechanistic one (a Monet rather than a Stubbs if you will) you see a man with little chance of regaining the White House. The 2.9 current price is truly something to behold imo. I envy people with a clean book who can start laying him at that sort of level.
    You keep trying to apply a rational analysis to American politics. At the moment we are deep into shark jump territory. Or perhaps.... General Boulanger territory. A large chunk of the population will vote for Trump, no matter what. He has a solid lock one of the two main parties.
    Take your point but no, I'm doing the opposite of that on this one. I'm usually Mr Spock but here I'm Captain Kirk. I'm using fuzzy 'big pic' intuition not bottoms up logical analysis. I've learnt to trust it when I have it. There'll be no POTUS Trump 2.0.
    Given the solid MAGA lock on the vote counting and affirming process, in many states?

Have we mentioned the success of Democrats and their allies in litigating to roll back race-based and other gerrymandering by Republicans? It's currently worth an estimated 5-6 seats or so, with more to come.
    What was the lady's name? - the one who made a big difference in Georgia with grass roots up politics and dealing with a whole raft of this stuff? Real roll-your-sleaves-up-and-get-stuff done politics vs the speachifying style.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,880

Cicero said:

viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Total Russian losses in Ukraine pass the 300,000 mark today.

Together with:

21 tanks
    29 armoured fighting vehicles
    25 artillery
    10 MLRS

It’s all been rather quiet in the media over the last few weeks, but there’s been a string of days of 1,000 losses for the enemy, alongside a dozen or more tanks and a hundred other vehicles. For how many days can they lose 10 MLRS, and still have any to field? Not that they’re a lot of good now that the defenders have ATACMS (Army TACtical Missile System, as I leaned a few months ago; and pronounced Attack’ems, as I learned a couple of weeks ago) with a massive range advantage, that will quickly push all of the Russian airfields and command posts back to what the Ukranians agree is Russia.
    The Russian casualties look unsustainable but the Ukrainians have made no material advances in nearly 2 months. With the risk of ammunition being diverted to Israel the dreaded stalemate is looming.
    This guy is pro Ukr but tends to the more verifable facts analysis so often lacking here and elesewhere.

You can't say the much heralded counter-offensive has failed because no objective for it was ever articulated. It seems to have been more of a political construct than a military one. The situation has been a stalemate for six months now as there has not been a significant territorial gain since Artyomovsk/Bakhmut in May.
    Quite. As you and I kept gently pointing out to the mad Ukrainian boosters on here. The counter offensive was never going anywhere and never went anywhere

Even a month ago we were officiously told it was about to “cut off Crimea by land” by the likes of @foxy @JosiasJessop @Sandpit @BartholomewRoberts and many others

@Sandpit can be forgiven for over optimism. He has family in Ukraine. The rest weren’t using their brains
    I’m still optimistic.

The Russian losses, as reported, are at unsustainable levels. They can’t keep losing a dozen tanks, a dozen MLRS, several dozen other vehicles - and 1,000 men - per day. So long as the Ukranians are still receiving weapons and training, they will eventually prevail.
    RUS can replace their losses faster than UKR. I still hope that Ukraine may win *but* it requires continued support from the West and a method of attack that focusses on the objective (area occupied), not the peripherals (number of destroyed materiel). If UKR cannot recapture land it will lose. There's no way around this. Destroyed tanks are nice-to-haves, not must-haves.
    The number of tanks that the Russians have is not infinite. The staggering death toll on the Russian side is not the sign of a Russian victory. The current situation may be a tactical stalemate, but is turning into a strategic disaster for Russia. There does come a point, as long as the West holds its nerve and continues to back free Ukraine, when the Russian army is simply defeated.

Leon comes out with his Chicken Licken stories, but is not, so far as I am aware, any kind of professional in these matters, since the gratest danger in his "interesting" life seems to have taken place in a back room in a canal side residence in Bangkok, but like many in the meeja this does not stop him from spreading the greatest ignorance to the greatest number.

If you actually want to understand the unfolding disaster in Russia, I can strongly recommend Arkady Ostrovsky s "Next Year in Moscow" on The Economist´s website.

In the meantime as the dark of the year takes hold in Tallinn, there is grim determination here. This is life or death for us too. Imagine, for example, if UK property prices gave up all their gains form the past ten years because of the war. That has already happened here, and the economy in general is still being hit very hard. We continue on because we have to, and the defeat of a Russia that is becoming every day more openly a fascist state is no longer optional, and that should now be clear to the whole world.

Those that equivocate, as Netanyahu did, are not spared, and Kremlin mischief
    making is now even leading to threats from Venezuela to Guyanese territorial integrity, as Moscow seeks to distract attention from the flames (literally) consuming Russia by setting things ablaze in any place they can: the Balkans, West Africa, and now, with their Iranian ally, the Holy Land.

[Edit} Good to have you back OGH, hope you are soon fighting fit.
    If we need OGH “fighting fit” things must be worse than you are saying…

😉
    If we send OGH on holiday, will we get an early Election?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    MattW said:

Cicero said:

viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Together with:

21 tanks
    25 artillery
    10 MLRS

It’s all been rather quiet in the media over the last few weeks, but there’s been a string of days of 1,000 losses for the enemy, alongside a dozen or more tanks and a hundred other vehicles. For how many days can they lose 10 MLRS, and still have any to field? Not that they’re a lot of good now that the defenders have ATACMS (Army TACtical Missile System, as I leaned a few months ago; and pronounced Attack’ems, as I learned a couple of weeks ago) with a massive range advantage, that will quickly push all of the Russian airfields and command posts back to what the Ukranians agree is Russia.
    The Russian casualties look unsustainable but the Ukrainians have made no material advances in nearly 2 months. With the risk of ammunition being diverted to Israel the dreaded stalemate is looming.
    This guy is pro Ukr but tends to the more verifable facts analysis so often lacking here and elesewhere.

You can't say the much heralded counter-offensive has failed because no objective for it was ever articulated. It seems to have been more of a political construct than a military one. The situation has been a stalemate for six months now as there has not been a significant territorial gain since Artyomovsk/Bakhmut in May.
    Quite. As you and I kept gently pointing out to the mad Ukrainian boosters on here. The counter offensive was never going anywhere and never went anywhere

Even a month ago we were officiously told it was about to “cut off Crimea by land” by the likes of @foxy @JosiasJessop @Sandpit @BartholomewRoberts and many others

@Sandpit can be forgiven for over optimism. He has family in Ukraine. The rest weren’t using their brains
    I’m still optimistic.

The Russian losses, as reported, are at unsustainable levels. They can’t keep losing a dozen tanks, a dozen MLRS, several dozen other vehicles - and 1,000 men - per day. So long as the Ukranians are still receiving weapons and training, they will eventually prevail.
    RUS can replace their losses faster than UKR. I still hope that Ukraine may win *but* it requires continued support from the West and a method of attack that focusses on the objective (area occupied), not the peripherals (number of destroyed materiel). If UKR cannot recapture land it will lose. There's no way around this. Destroyed tanks are nice-to-haves, not must-haves.
    The number of tanks that the Russians have is not infinite. The staggering death toll on the Russian side is not the sign of a Russian victory. The current situation may be a tactical stalemate, but is turning into a strategic disaster for Russia. There does come a point, as long as the West holds its nerve and continues to back free Ukraine, when the Russian army is simply defeated.

Leon comes out with his Chicken Licken stories, but is not, so far as I am aware, any kind of professional in these matters, since the gratest danger in his "interesting" life seems to have taken place in a back room in a canal side residence in Bangkok, but like many in the meeja this does not stop him from spreading the greatest ignorance to the greatest number.

If you actually want to understand the unfolding disaster in Russia, I can strongly recommend Arkady Ostrovsky s "Next Year in Moscow" on The Economist´s website.

In the meantime as the dark of the year takes hold in Tallinn, there is grim determination here. This is life or death for us too. Imagine, for example, if UK property prices gave up all their gains form the past ten years because of the war. That has already happened here, and the economy in general is still being hit very hard. We continue on because we have to, and the defeat of a Russia that is becoming every day more openly a fascist state is no longer optional, and that should now be clear to the whole world.

making is now even leading to threats from Venezuela to Guyanese territorial integrity, as Moscow seeks to distract attention from the flames (literally) consuming Russia by setting things ablaze in any place they can: the Balkans, West Africa, and now, with their Iranian ally, the Holy Land.

😉
    The way things are going we'll get China invading Taiwan.
  • Options

MattW said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

What was the lady's name? - the one who made a big difference in Georgia with grass roots up politics and dealing with a whole raft of this stuff? Real roll-your-sleaves-up-and-get-stuff done politics vs the speachifying style.
    The recent North Carolina re-gerrymander will more than reverse all of that progress.
  • Options

Perhaps the ×××× that is Boris Johnson reviewed his opinion to let old people get covid after he got it himself. Noone wants anyone to die but I hope he had a really miserable time with it. He REALLY IS a piece of work.

Terrible human being.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited October 2023

No, its the opposite way around. He got it in April, these quotes about oldies getting are later on in 2020 e.g Vallance entry dated Dec 2020.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

I’ve been saying Ukraine will end a muddy, Korean style armistice for well over a year, on PB

That prediction looks as accurate as ever, right now

...and you would have been wrong, as there was a massive fallback by RUS to the present lines in around November 2022. However, if you made the more accurate claim of "I’ve been saying Ukraine will end in a muddy, Korean style armistice for around six months, on PB", you would be correct.

I never said what particular frontiers would be established. I predicted a muddy, Korean-style armistice, with the batlelines frozen as they are at the time of the armistice. There is a good chance that will be roughly where they are now. Does either side have the men, money, materiel for another go next spring?
    That the lines will be frozen at the position of the armistice is an easy prediction.

Whether the lines will be on the Polish border or on the Ukrainian border with the Republic of China is the question. Or somewhere in between.
    OK I'll stick my neck out. Ukraine is never getting Crimea back

It will almost certainly never get the Donbas back. It is fairly unlikely to get the other occupied territories back (though this is with decreasing certainty)

For the purposes of clarity, I do not call this a Russian victory. I do not want a Russian victory and I do not believe this IS a victory, not in the long term. Russia has expended vast amounts of blood and treasure to win some impoverished provinces and a slender land bridge to precious Crimea (but it already had Crimea). It has strengthened and unified NATO and now has a vast new NATO border with Finland. The remaining Ukrainian state will now loathe Russia, for generations, meaning Ptuin has created a newly hostile power right on the doorstep. And at the same time the Russian military has been exposed as fairly crap, and Russia has lost a million bright young people to emigration

Medium/long term this is a disaster for Russia

However I am clear headed enough to see
    where this war has been going for a long time, now, which is: pretty much nowhere
    Your proposal - roughly the current lines - is not a viable state for Ukraine.
    It's likely not a viable 'frozen conflict' comparable to Korea either.

The Russia/Ukraine border is around ten times the length*, and is flat rather than mountainous terrain. There are still over 28,000 US troops in S Korea, some seven decades after Panmunjom.

I know maths isn't Leon's strong suit, but the comparison is more than ridiculous, even from him.

*I have done him a favour and ignored Belarus.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    Portrait of a landslide.

https://electionmaps.uk/nowcast

Rishi holds on by a little under 3,000.

Isle of Wight goes Labour. Lee Anderson's voteshare is 16.7%. Penny Mordaunt out, along with Sir Jacob.

The only good news for Tories is they avoid total wipeout in Scotland and Wales, unlike 97. Otherwise considerably worse.
  • Options
    I remember satirising the December 2020 policy as "kill your granny for Christmas".

Turns out the Prime Minister hoped that would happen.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Portrait of a landslide.

https://electionmaps.uk/nowcast

Rishi holds on by a little under 3,000.

Isle of Wight goes Labour. Lee Anderson's voteshare is 16.7%. Penny Mordaunt out, along with Sir Jacob.

The only good news for Tories is they avoid total wipeout in Scotland and Wales, unlike 97. Otherwise considerably worse.

The value has gone on the landslide. On betfair's 'Con net losses' market the 2.8 clear favourite is they lose over 200 seats.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Speaking of the zero carbon economy, this looks a very interesting alternative to the electrolysis of water to produce 'green' hydrogen as a renewables fuel store.
    The process also involves CO2 capture, and the product is far easier to store and transport.

A carbon-efficient bicarbonate electrolyzer
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S266638642300485X?via=ihub
    ...To summarize, from captured liquid bicarbonate or saturated liquid/solid bicarbonate feedstocks, we can produce solid metal formates (crystalized KOOCH, NaOOCH) of high purity with nearly 100% carbon efficiency and decent current density at ambient pressure and temperature (Figure 4). The full-cell reaction achieved is ΔHf°(KHCO3 KOOCH + ½O2) = 3.13 eV,41,42 which is highly analogous to water splitting ΔHf°(H2O H2 + ½O2) = 2.96 eV,43 with no net acid or base produced; thus the pH of both the catholyte and anolyte compartments are maintained with the use of a single CEM and a buffer layer. The dominance of a high concentration of dissolved bicarbonate over carbonate by maintaining appreciable H+(aq) is of vital importance to achieving enhanced carbon efficiency and FE of CO2ER, and this could be facilely implemented by near-neutral-pH anolyte, CEM, and CO2 partial pressure management. The direct and complete conversion of highly concentrated bicarbonate liquor in mild conditions is significant to the seamless coupling of carbon dioxide capture and electroreduction. A “formate economy” is envisioned, where metal formates play the role of “solid hydrogen” that are much easier to store over decadal timescales. A DFFC that oxidizes our produced fuel and generates electricity is also demonstrated...

Article on the paper here:
    https://techxplore.com/news/2023-10-efficient-fuel-carbon-dioxide.html

It really is a very interesting development, since the formates can be used in fuel cells. at domestic and possibly grid scale, apparently without too many technical problems.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,397
    edited October 2023

No, its the opposite way around. He got it in April, these quotes about oldies getting are later on in 2020 e.g Vallance entry dated Dec 2020.
    I still hope he had a really bad time with it. He sets an example no one should follow.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221
    Quite a long and interesting thread about how the Russian word for 'railway station' comes from a notorious cruising ground in London.

https://twitter.com/MrTimDunn/status/1718951928028152130
  • Options
    Had Armando Ianoucci written the enquiry in The Thick of It to have the panel quoting Stewart Pearson describing officials as "fuckpigs" and "[banhammer]s", we would all have said he had gone too far.

And yet here we are. The real world Goolding Inquiry and here is Cummings having these things quoted back to him.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024

Sandpit said:

So who’s looking forward to the 2034 World Cup? Obviously not the WAGs.

Australia have pulled out, so there’s only one candidate remaining in the competition…

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12691949/World-Cup-2034-Saudi-Arabia-host-Australia.html

I just find the whole concept of bidding for the football world cup absurd.

"Can you host 64 football matches over the course of a month at decent sized stadiums?"

"Yes, we do it most months in our domestic league, so not a problem at all."

"Cracking - the gig's yours."
    But how would the FIFA officials end up with Rolex watches, carats of diamond rings, weeks on yachts, and stays in the world’s best resort hotels, if they were to do it your way?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,218
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Together with:

21 tanks
    25 artillery
    10 MLRS

300000 dead Russians say hello
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,218

Sean_F said:

Some rare policing good news which I’m sure* everyone will applaud. No wonder they had a forensic tent to spare for Nicla’s front garden.

*not totally sure about that actually.

TBF, that is very impressive.
    Yes and no. Most murder victims are known to the murderer, and indeed many are in the family. They are not hard to clear up. Its vanishingly rare to get murders with no connection (or no known one). I'd love to see the equivalent UK figures.
    Hard to beat 100%, we will know when we don't see it being plastered everywhere re rUK
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    MattW said:

Cicero said:

viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Together with:

21 tanks
    25 artillery
    10 MLRS

I’m still optimistic.

😉

50-50 toss up between that and nuclear Armageddon.

Do ya feel lucky, punk?
This discussion has been closed.