Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Meet the don’t knows – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,163
    Pulpstar said:

Looks like the Saffers are on top in the cricket.

Broadly speaking our tiniest glimmer involves South Africa, India and New Zealand winning all their matches (Except us vs India); us winning all ours and then some upsets by the other lower placed teams against Australia.

Betfair reckons this sequence followed by us winning the semis and final is 299-1.

This is my favouritest stat from the last game:

...England got themselves out. The man who struck the first blow, Angelo Mathews, is 36; he had not taken an international wicket since he turned 33...

2099-1, I might just be tempted.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,834
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

With this talk of "punching up" etc, I'd note that another phrase that annoys me is "don't kick a man when he's down".

In my experience, that's the very best time to kick a man - he's simply so much less likely to be able to fight back. It worries me that people learn the wrong lessons from these expressions - some of them are downright misleading.

'Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
    "Everything happens for a reason"
    "You can do anything if you put your mind to it"

3 off the top of my head. Tip: If anyone wants to really bug me, use one of these.
    'Like cures like' is my particular (least) favourite.
    Are you suggesting that drain cleaner doesn't cure COVID?!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

'Punching up' is a bloody obnoxious expression.

All it means is that attacking certain groups is unacceptable (punching down) but the groups the individual speaking dislikes are totally fair game because it's 'punching up'. It's either fine to 'punch' everyone, or no-one. Separating people into protected categories or fair game for hatred based on personal prejudice and then dressing it up as a moral stance is ridiculous.

It is vile, corrosive nonsense

It leads to Oxford educated, private schooled, wealthy black feminist academics shrilly hectoring white working class men on their inherent racism and abhorrent whjte privilege

And it’s even worse in America
    Why do you fetishize 'white working class men'? Unlike you I hail from those ranks and, believe me, you really wouldn't want to know a good number of them.
    Twat
    What brought about this bitchiness?
    You being a twat
    I'm sorry. I'll go away. You won't ever hear from me no more!
    Oh don’t be a snowflake

Stay. You sometimes say interesting things
    I'm persuaded. I'm staying.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,015

tlg86 said:

Khan calls for an unconditional ceasefire:

https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/1717820605272105092

In my opinion, it is disgraceful to call for a ceasefire until the hostages are released.

I get the impression that those calling for a ceasefire would be quite happy for a ceasefire to have happened immediately after Hamas had done the maximum amount of killing but before Israel had been able to do anything to defend itself.
    ... and Netanyahuism comes from the idea that all such ceasefires and restraints on behaviour by Israel are somehow against Israel. "This time we will take the gloves off and not be stopped by the traitors and collaborators, blah blah blah"

Being civilised is an advantage, not a weakness.
    Indeed.

I condemn the 7 Oct assault and subsequent attacks by Hamas. Hamas should release all the hostages. I hope the individuals responsible for the 7 Oct atrocities go on trial for war crimes.

At some point, we should move from short term reactions to long term solutions. I can understand why now seems too soon to do that for some.

Oppressed people often turn to violence. The best long-term solution to this is to end the oppression.
  • Options
    a

tlg86 said:

In my opinion, it is disgraceful to call for a ceasefire until the hostages are released.

I get the impression that those calling for a ceasefire would be quite happy for a ceasefire to have happened immediately after Hamas had done the maximum amount of killing but before Israel had been able to do anything to defend itself.
    ... and Netanyahuism comes from the idea that all such ceasefires and restraints on behaviour by Israel are somehow against Israel. "This time we will take the gloves off and not be stopped by the traitors and collaborators, blah blah blah"

Indeed.

I condemn the 7 Oct assault and subsequent attacks by Hamas. Hamas should release all the hostages. I hope the individuals responsible for the 7 Oct atrocities go on trial for war crimes.

At some point, we should move from short term reactions to long term solutions. I can understand why now seems too soon to do that for some.

Oppressed people often turn to violence. The best long-term solution to this is to end the oppression.
    Amen to all of that. Plus Netanyahu and his chums are a roadblock to peace. They need be out of office and Netanyahu needs to go to jail.
  • Options
    DeSantis appears to think he's running for Mayor of Gotham rather than President.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/florida-playbook/2023/10/27/the-politics-of-mass-shootings-in-the-gunshine-state-00123930
    Gov. Ron DeSantis called for institutionalizing more people with mental health struggles against their will in the wake of the horrific mass shootings that killed 18 people in Lewiston, Maine.

His comments on CNN Thursday night followed reports that the suspect in the Maine shooting was institutionalized this summer. The governor has blamed failures in the U.S. mental health and criminal justice systems — and said he couldn’t think of any gun restrictions he’d sign into law if he were elected president...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    edited October 2023
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

With this talk of "punching up" etc, I'd note that another phrase that annoys me is "don't kick a man when he's down".

In my experience, that's the very best time to kick a man - he's simply so much less likely to be able to fight back. It worries me that people learn the wrong lessons from these expressions - some of them are downright misleading.

3 off the top of my head. Tip: If anyone wants to really bug me, use one of these.
    It is what it is gaining depressing popularity.
    Yes, not keen on that one. It has a 'can't be arsed to engage heart or mind' feel to it.

On a more positive note, to prove I'm not going the surly old man route, I do quite like the growing tendency of young people in the customer services game to dispense with 'ok' in favour of 'amazing'.

"What time do you close?"
    "5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."
    I’ve noticed the same. I am certain it comes from Australian English - I first noted “amazing” there about 20 years ago. Again in hospitality. See also “beautiful”

“So you want coffee rather than tea?”
    “Yes.”
    “Beautiful. What about toast?”

Also from Aussie English is the now utterly ubiquitous “no worries”

I think Brits like Aussie English because it seems closer to us and also pleasingly classless, whereas American English feels more alien and freighted with less pleasant connotations
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

All it means is that attacking certain groups is unacceptable (punching down) but the groups the individual speaking dislikes are totally fair game because it's 'punching up'. It's either fine to 'punch' everyone, or no-one. Separating people into protected categories or fair game for hatred based on personal prejudice and then dressing it up as a moral stance is ridiculous.

It leads to Oxford educated, private schooled, wealthy black feminist academics shrilly hectoring white working class men on their inherent racism and abhorrent whjte privilege

Why do you fetishize 'white working class men'? Unlike you I hail from those ranks and, believe me, you really wouldn't want to know a good number of them.
    Twat
    You being a twat
    Oh don’t be a snowflake

And what about saying "interesting things"? ... we'll get some more of them or will you stop that now?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,578
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, not keen on that one. It has a 'can't be arsed to engage heart or mind' feel to it.

On a more positive note, to prove I'm not going the surly old man route, I do quite like the growing tendency of young people in the customer services game to dispense with 'ok' in favour of 'amazing'.

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."
    I’ve noticed the same. I am certain it comes from Australian English - I first noted “amazing” there about 20 years ago. Again in hospitality. See also “beautiful”

“Yes.”

I think Brits like Aussie English because it seems closer to us and also pleasingly classless, whereas American English feels more alien and freighted with less pleasant connotations
    I blame the lion king for that. 'hakuna matata' just doesn't slip off the tongue in the same way :wink:
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Indeed.

Amen to all of that. Plus Netanyahu and his chums are a roadblock to peace. They need be out of office and Netanyahu needs to go to jail.
    Netanyahu and his chums should also be out of office for a dozen reasons other than being a roadblock to peace, of course.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

I find no worries is quite useful as a customer if you want a relaxed level of service, sets the right expectations.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Indeed.

Netanyahu and his chums should also be out of office for a dozen reasons other than being a roadblock to peace, of course.
    Like Trump, the list is extensive and covers many things. Start with the simple stuff - like corruption and stealing.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."
    I'll grump for you :wink: I'd be immediately suspicious of anyone who said that.

Maybe things are different oop north, but you still just get an 'aye, that'll do' or maybe 'sound' or 'aright duck/love' up here in my experience.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Broadly speaking our tiniest glimmer involves South Africa, India and New Zealand winning all their matches (Except us vs India); us winning all ours and then some upsets by the other lower placed teams against Australia.

Betfair reckons this sequence followed by us winning the semis and final is 299-1.

SA are strong. What happened to Bangladesh shows what can happen if you don't get that Quinton de Kock out pretty much straightaway.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DeSantis appears to think he's running for Mayor of Gotham rather than President.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/florida-playbook/2023/10/27/the-politics-of-mass-shootings-in-the-gunshine-state-00123930
    Gov. Ron DeSantis called for institutionalizing more people with mental health struggles against their will in the wake of the horrific mass shootings that killed 18 people in Lewiston, Maine.

His comments on CNN Thursday night followed reports that the suspect in the Maine shooting was institutionalized this summer. The governor has blamed failures in the U.S. mental health and criminal justice systems — and said he couldn’t think of any gun restrictions he’d sign into law if he were elected president...

I mean he is right, but should be really be calling so directly for the one person ahead of him in the polls to be locked up?
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 951
    Carnyx said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

OT for the Friday culture slot: not what it seems at all, but a genuinely interesting bit of urban heritage recording whose stupid Hallowe'en marketing is probably obscuring its real value:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2023/oct/27/historic-england-ghost-sign-photos-halloween-online-map

We had a 1920s HMV ad mural here which was v faded so when they eventually redeveloped the building they restored it to its former glory as a nice nod to history.

Directly relevant to what I'm involved in. Wifey wants to put up a sign for her new shop as well as a couple of plaques on either side of the door to cover the holes where plaques used to be.

The council's built heritage manager has been out to have a look and is supportive - especially as the council has a firm policy of trying to retain commercial buildings as commercial.

But to proceed with the various applications the council is asking for proof there were previous signs in place. And the only one I can find showing the previous Union Bank of Scotland signs is old and fuzzy...
    Presumably you tried looking not only for building records but street records/photos in

(a) Canmore, and HES listed buildings records?
    (b) Scran (maybe through local library)?
    Google earth desktop app allows you to view all the street view data, rather than just the current level stuff. Depending how recently the signage was there, that might work (if it was up less than 10 years ago your probably in luck).
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

SA are strong. What happened to Bangladesh shows what can happen if you don't get that Quinton de Kock out pretty much straightaway.
    Perhaps we should introduce some MPs to the team if we want de Kock out pretty much straightaway?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Ah Aussie, is it? I'd assumed American but was rather hoping it was homegrown.
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

I find no worries is quite useful as a customer if you want a relaxed level of service, sets the right expectations.
    Yeah I’m not totally objecting. No drama

But it can get a touch repetitive
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

The builder I am employing at the moment (Czech) uses "Amazing" sarcastically.

When asked how things are going, he typically replies "Amaaaaaaazing". He then proceeds to tell you about all the problems he has encountered.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

'Punching up/down' seeks to capture the (obvious and important) difference between the powerful mocking the powerless and vice versa. We could drop the expression but there seems little point since we'd only need another one.
    Not really.

Punching anyone is not OK.

And mocking anyone is OK.
    Oh god we're going reductive and binary and hyper-literal. Bye bye.
    I know Bart can be annoying, kinabalu, but don’t go. Remember, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036

tlg86 said:

Indeed.

Noone knows the dark arts of getting re-elected as PM multiple times in a PR ! system better than Bibi though.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Nigelb said:

Just for @ydoethur

All baa myself: Is this Britain's loneliest sheep?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-67237956

(even more) offtopic, but my son made us laugh yesterday when he came home from school and said they'd been watching the origin story (not his words - something like 'the history') of Shaun the sheep from before Bitzer became a sheep dog and the farmer became a farmer. Apparently the farmer and dog used to live in a normal house and the farmer (as he later became) really liked cheese so they made a rocket to go and get some from the moon :lol:

Nice to see the schools are bringing the classics of British film/TV to the kids :smile:

Also, that was made in 1989 apparently - crikey!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Awesome.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Maybe an Aussie-UK hybrid. Definitely not American. Never encountered it in the USA

“No worries” is definitely Aussie
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Twat
    You being a twat
    Oh don’t be a snowflake

And what about saying "interesting things"? ... we'll get some more of them or will you stop that now?
    My saying interesting things goes with the territory I'm afraid. I'm a perpetual fountain of fascinating insights. (It took me years to realize that boring people are boring simply because they just can't help it.)
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

'Punching up/down' seeks to capture the (obvious and important) difference between the powerful mocking the powerless and vice versa. We could drop the expression but there seems little point since we'd only need another one.
    Not really.

I know Bart can be annoying, kinabalu, but don’t go. Remember, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
    And like cures like. Bit like spades and shovels, really.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Awesome.
    Amaaaaaaaazing.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,096

AlistairM said:

This is interesting. Who do the Germans think the greatest ever English footballer is. Not quite sure how Beckham, Lineker and Shearer got above Gascoigne.

German
    @SPORTBILD
    with with the 10 best English players EVER

1. Sir Bobby Charlton
    2. Bobby Moore
    3. Gordon Banks
    4. Beckham
    5. Sir Stanley Matthews
    @alanshearer

@GaryLineker

8. Jimmy Greaves
    9. Gascoigne
    10. Sir Geoff Hurst

Can you live with the list Alan and Gary?

https://x.com/JanAageFjortoft/status/1717530338212163759?s=20

With only one defensive player plus a goalkeeper it might suggest why England underachieve.
    Not very diverse ethnically either - John Barnes was too much of an underachiever internationally to be on the list I suppose, and Rio Ferdinand &
    Sol Campbell were defenders, who don’t seem to get a look in as you say. Other than that, I don’t think a black player has ever really been the main man

Perhaps Jude Bellingham will be the first truly
    great non white English footballer? Maybe Saka could sneak in a future top ten?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Indeed.

Noone knows the dark arts of getting re-elected as PM multiple times in a PR ! system better than Bibi though.
    Netanyahu reminds me of this guy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimiro_Montesinos ... why is that? The utterly amoral corruption? Or is it something else?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Also, "perfect".
    Which is weird.

• Options
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."
    I'll grump for you :wink: I'd be immediately suspicious of anyone who said that.

Maybe things are different oop north, but you still just get an 'aye, that'll do' or maybe 'sound' or 'aright duck/love' up here in my experience.
    Yes, I can see it wouldn't work so well up there. In fact I don't think I'd like to hear it up there. There's something very the opposite of 'gritty and grounded' about it.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I went on a date or two with a girl from tinder who had that tattooed on her arm… should have known she had low standards/wasn’t choosy!

An urban myth is that the Spanish translation is S-O-C-K-S
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Awesome.
    “Awesome” is a classic example of an Americanism that didn’t quite make it in the UK. We are more resistant to American locutions than their Aussie counterparts
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Maybe an Aussie-UK hybrid. Definitely not American. Never encountered it in the USA

"What tribe are you, Gus?"
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 951
    theProle said:

Carnyx said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

OT for the Friday culture slot: not what it seems at all, but a genuinely interesting bit of urban heritage recording whose stupid Hallowe'en marketing is probably obscuring its real value:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2023/oct/27/historic-england-ghost-sign-photos-halloween-online-map

We had a 1920s HMV ad mural here which was v faded so when they eventually redeveloped the building they restored it to its former glory as a nice nod to history.

Directly relevant to what I'm involved in. Wifey wants to put up a sign for her new shop as well as a couple of plaques on either side of the door to cover the holes where plaques used to be.

The council's built heritage manager has been out to have a look and is supportive - especially as the council has a firm policy of trying to retain commercial buildings as commercial.

But to proceed with the various applications the council is asking for proof there were previous signs in place. And the only one I can find showing the previous Union Bank of Scotland signs is old and fuzzy...
    Presumably you tried looking not only for building records but street records/photos in

Google earth desktop app allows you to view all the street view data, rather than just the current level stuff. Depending how recently the signage was there, that might work (if it was up less than 10 years ago your probably in luck).
    Further checking - no it doesn't (although it does pull up historic satellite imagery). You can however get it from google maps online if you go into street view, then click "veiw more dates"...
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,002

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Not really.

I can confirm, from a car crash I survived at 24, that sometimes things you survive do not make you stronger. Frankly, it still bloody hurts.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,941
    edited October 2023
    isam said:

AlistairM said:

This is interesting. Who do the Germans think the greatest ever English footballer is. Not quite sure how Beckham, Lineker and Shearer got above Gascoigne.

German
    @SPORTBILD
    with with the 10 best English players EVER

1. Sir Bobby Charlton
    2. Bobby Moore
    3. Gordon Banks
    4. Beckham
    5. Sir Stanley Matthews
    @alanshearer

@GaryLineker

8. Jimmy Greaves
    9. Gascoigne
    10. Sir Geoff Hurst

Can you live with the list Alan and Gary?

https://x.com/JanAageFjortoft/status/1717530338212163759?s=20

With only one defensive player plus a goalkeeper it might suggest why England underachieve.
    Not very diverse ethnically either - John Barnes was too much of an underachiever internationally to be on the list I suppose, and Rio Ferdinand &
    Sol Campbell were defenders, who don’t seem to get a look in as you say. Other than that, I don’t think a black player has ever really been the main man

Perhaps Jude Bellingham will be the first truly
    great non white English footballer? Maybe Saka could sneak in a future top ten?
    For his age, I think only Owen and Rooney have anything comparable to Bellingham, neither made the list. Interesting to see if he burns out too given he has played regular first team football since 16.

Barnes and Ferdinand comfortably in the top 20. Campbell probably top 30ish. Ashley Cole also in top 20, possibly even top 10 but unlikeable so doesnt get the mentions.
  • Options
    “No worries is an expression seen in English meaning "do not worry about that", "that's all right", "forget about it"…. The phrase is widely used in Australian speech and represents a feeling of friendliness, good humour, optimism and "mateship" in Australian culture. The phrase has been referred to as the national motto of Australia.”

“The term can also be used in the context of an apology.[15] The phrase has been used widely in British English since the late 1980s, a development partly attributed to the success of Australian soap operas such as Neighbours in the United Kingdom.[16]”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_worries
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    DavidL said:

Boris Johnson and his former adviser Dominic Cummings sent “disgusting and misogynistic” WhatsApp messages that will be released by the Covid-19 inquiry, George Osborne has claimed.

On Tuesday, Cummings is due to give evidence at the public inquiry, while the former prime minister is expected to give evidence next month.

Osborne, the former chancellor, said: “I’ve got to be a little bit careful here — it’s a judicial inquiry. But from what I understand, there are some pretty staggering things that have been said on those WhatsApp messages not just by Boris Johnson, but key advisers like Dominic Cummings — really pretty disgusting language and misogynistic language. And I think if you didn’t think very highly of that period of government, you’re gonna feel even less highly after you’ve heard those messages next week.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-and-dominic-cummings-sent-sexist-whatsapps-x36qv6cbq

I love his turn of phrase: “didn’t think very highly of that period of government”.

But once again we seem to be getting embarrassing tranches of material with little obvious relevance other than embarrassment. All future governments will follow the Scottish example of deleting
    everything.
    May be we should make a rule on record keeping?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,596
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Also, "perfect".
    Which is weird.

I stick to 'smashing'.

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

What is it's said by a staggeringly beautiful young woman in response to you apologizing for unsettling her with your pervy old man gaze?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Awesome.
    “Awesome” is a classic example of an Americanism that didn’t quite make it in the UK. We are more resistant to American locutions than their Aussie counterparts
    I could care less.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Awesome.
    I could care less.
    God, I HATE that!!
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Yes, it was rife when I lived there in the 80s. I'd never heard it before.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

It is now basically the only thing British hospitality staff ever say
  • Options

DavidL said:

Boris Johnson and his former adviser Dominic Cummings sent “disgusting and misogynistic” WhatsApp messages that will be released by the Covid-19 inquiry, George Osborne has claimed.

On Tuesday, Cummings is due to give evidence at the public inquiry, while the former prime minister is expected to give evidence next month.

Osborne, the former chancellor, said: “I’ve got to be a little bit careful here — it’s a judicial inquiry. But from what I understand, there are some pretty staggering things that have been said on those WhatsApp messages not just by Boris Johnson, but key advisers like Dominic Cummings — really pretty disgusting language and misogynistic language. And I think if you didn’t think very highly of that period of government, you’re gonna feel even less highly after you’ve heard those messages next week.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-and-dominic-cummings-sent-sexist-whatsapps-x36qv6cbq

I love his turn of phrase: “didn’t think very highly of that period of government”.

But once again we seem to be getting embarrassing tranches of material with little obvious relevance other than embarrassment. All future governments will follow the Scottish example of deleting
    everything.
    May be we should make a rule on record keeping?
    Any politicians who hasn't turned on the auto-delete-for-history on WhatsApp chats is stupid, at the this point.

Yes, they should use a secure, recorded comms system. The history of trying to enforce this, in banks, is problematic, to say the least. Stopping traders using commercial messaging apps to talk to each other is an unending task, for example.

The problem, though, with a government provided comms system is when they start including people from outside the government in chats.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675
    edited October 2023
    Sayeeda Warsi's comments on the lifting of the bonus cap are exceedingly stupid, but worse, incredibly disappointing to hear from an avowed Conservative. Every Conservative who fits within the broadest party definition should surely be itching to use their platform to explain how an unwarranted interference in remuneration policies of private companies is damaging inward investment and driving up the salaries of bankers. I don't think she's stupid, so it must be that she has a genuine antipathy toward Conservative Government and policies.
  • Options
    Aussies also say “not a problem” as a slight and faintly pleasing variation on “no problem”

I’ve noticed that creeping into British English as well
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Awesome.
    I could care less.
    God, I HATE that!!
    My bad, thanks for the heads up, going forward I'll duck out of using I could care less.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Awesome.
    I could care less.
    God, I HATE that!!
    My bad, thanks for the heads up, going forward I'll duck out of using I could care less.
    lol. Awesomesauce!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Aussies also say “not a problem” as a slight and faintly pleasing variation on “no problem”

“Just quietly” is an Aussie phrase I like.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Well, plus 'amazing'. I suppose you can have a perfectly satisfactory customer services type exchange using just those 2 terms. No worries and amazing.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Awesome.
    I could care less.
    God, I HATE that!!
    Je suis desole
  • Options
    Leon said:

“No worries is an expression seen in English meaning "do not worry about that", "that's all right", "forget about it"…. The phrase is widely used in Australian speech and represents a feeling of friendliness, good humour, optimism and "mateship" in Australian culture. The phrase has been referred to as the national motto of Australia.”

“The term can also be used in the context of an apology.[15] The phrase has been used widely in British English since the late 1980s, a development partly attributed to the success of Australian soap operas such as Neighbours in the United Kingdom.[16]”

'No worries' has become a verbal tic with some people.

Me: I've been sitting here for five minutes. Are you going to pour the champagne for me or not?
    Waitress: Sure. No worries.

Yes, it is a bloody worry! I'm worried because I'm not getting the service I paid for, and you should be worried because I'm minded to get you fired. Grrrrrrrr!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Also, "perfect".
    Which is weird.

I stick to 'smashing'.

Super.
  • Options
    isam said:

Leon said:

"Strewth! That girl's a guy!!"
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,547

Leon said:

Me: I've been sitting here for five minutes. Are you going to pour the champagne for me or not?

Yes, it is a bloody worry! I'm worried because I'm not getting the service I paid for, and you should be worried because I'm minded to get you fired. Grrrrrrrr!
    I admit I am guilty of that one, but not quite in the context above. I wouldn’t use it in response to a complaint, but I would use it for an ask “eg can you send x email to me today?”
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Awesome.
    I could care less.
    Me either
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    edited October 2023

Sayeeda Warsi's comments on the lifting of the bonus cap are exceedingly stupid, but worse, incredibly disappointing to hear from an avowed Conservative. Every Conservative who fits within the broadest party definition should surely be itching to use their platform to explain how an unwarranted interference in remuneration policies of private companies is damaging inward investment and driving up the salaries of bankers. I don't think she's stupid, so it must be that she has a genuine antipathy toward Conservative Government and policies.

She's not stupid David Cameron is, he appointed her. I was fully expecting her to lay into the Gaza conflict and call everyone a racist islamophobe. Maybe she has and Ive just missed.
  • Options

Leon said:

You should try Japan

Everyone there is so scared of giving offence - not using the right honorifics - extremely easy and a grave insult - they only ever say “domo” - an all purpose filler word which simultaneously means “sure”, “ok”, “no worries”, “allora”, “prego”, “de nada”, “well”, “I see”, “amazing”, and “ah”
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Awesome.
    I could care less.
    God, I HATE that!!
    I quite like it.
    Shorthand for ''I could care less, but if would be an effort."
  • Options
    The Greek theatre of Siracusa. Rather brilliantly, Aeschylus premiered some of his own plays here

I picture him nervously standing at the back, sipping a goblet of Etna wine, waiting for the first laughter

It is also 30C. On October 27. What is it like in August?!

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,520

She's not stupid David Cameron is, he appointed her. I was fully expecting her to lay into the Gaza conflict and call everyone a racist islamophobe. Maybe she has and Ive just missed.
    She does not seem a good fit for the Conservative Party. Often appears on HIGNFY and slams her own government. Probably ought to think a bit more about where here natural home is (politically, before anyone starts yelling about racists).
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Awesome.
    I could care less.
    God, I HATE that!!
    I quite like it.
    "I couldn't care less" is the more accurate shorthand. You're welcome :)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Well, plus 'amazing'. I suppose you can have a perfectly satisfactory customer services type exchange using just those 2 terms. No worries and amazing.
    Probably better than the Fawlty Towers era of the English Inhospitality Sector...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    In the tyranny of Morris Dancer, those who use the expression (except for educational purposes pointing out how atrocious it is) "could care less" would be flung into the North Sea by trebuchet.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Awesome.
    I could care less.
    God, I HATE that!!
    I quite like it.
    "I couldn't care less" is the more accurate shorthand. You're welcome :)
    It 'literally' isn't, in almost all cases.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

In the tyranny of Morris Dancer, those who use the expression (except for educational purposes pointing out how atrocious it is) "could care less" would be flung into the North Sea by trebuchet.

I *could* care less, MD.

But not much.
  • Options

She does not seem a good fit for the Conservative Party. Often appears on HIGNFY and slams her own government. Probably ought to think a bit more about where here natural home is (politically, before anyone starts yelling about racists).
    There are an awful lot of people who used to think they were Conservatives who currently don't.

Whilst that might make the Conservative Party more coherent and congenial for those who remain, it has consequences for a body that wants to win elections.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr B, your name vill also go on ze list!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

Probably better than the Fawlty Towers era of the English Inhospitality Sector...
    "Would you care for a rat?"
  • Options

Mr B, your name vill also go on ze list!

Awesome.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

The 2019 Conservative landslide winning voting coalition brought together by Boris Johnson and Brexit contains many who are not wedded to the freedom of banks to pay eyewatering bonuses. Which just goes to show - nobody, however wrong they habitually are, are wrong all the time. And I'd extend that to you btw. It's usually large balls and small pockets but every so often you do manage to pot one.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,412
    edited October 2023

But there’s audience applause to be handed out on question time for giving that answer

Surely it comes first to modern politicians.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,056

Alternatively, she is in favour of traditional Conservative policies, but not the current lot of incompetent, crooked grifters.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,123
    theProle said:

Carnyx said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

Good idea too - would complement the older records I had in mind. It has proved very useful at times.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Stalking horse ?

Rep. Dean Phillips files paperwork for presidential bid against Biden
    The Minnesota Democrat is making his long-teased run official.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/10/26/rep-dean-phillips-files-paperwork-for-presidential-bid-against-biden-00123923

(Note S Carolina's filing deadline is Nov 10th.)
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,341
    edited October 2023

There are an awful lot of people who used to think they were Conservatives who currently don't.

Whilst that might make the Conservative Party more coherent and congenial for those who remain, it has consequences for a body that wants to win elections.
    I'd have thought it the antithesis of conservative thinking to say - ooh, banks are just any old private company; let them go to the wall and let's just suffer the massive economic and social upheaval that will follow. Conservatism, by definition, is surely about preserving the world as we've always known it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,123
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

The Greek theatre of Siracusa. Rather brilliantly, Aeschylus premiered some of his own plays here

I picture him nervously standing at the back, sipping a goblet of Etna wine, waiting for the first laughter

Laughter? He was a tragedist, surely?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,224
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

"No worries" came to us in the 80s/90s via Aussie soaps. I use it frequently. I quite like "awesome" too, I think I picked it up living in the States and I've noticed other Brits who've spent time there bringing it back with them, it winds my mum up so it's all good. I use "great" a lot but not "super". "Could care less" is a nonsensical piece of Americana, like the Second Ammendment or Donald Trump. Americans don't say "brilliant", which I always thought was odd.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995
    Nigelb said:

Stalking horse ?

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/10/26/rep-dean-phillips-files-paperwork-for-presidential-bid-against-biden-00123923

Anyone know anything about his politics, or is he Minnesota nice?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,942
    isam said:

Leon said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z023prwCkgs
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Stalking horse ?

Anyone know anything about his politics, or is he Minnesota nice?
    Voted 100% with the administration.
    Has little time for the DNC.

I think this is more of a protest against Biden being too old.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

How does one care for a rat? Buy it dinner? Take it to the theatre?

It can probably already afford that on its MP's expenses.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I have no idea. I find Greek drama unutterably boring
  • Options
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/eight-indian-ex-naval-officers-sentenced-to-death-in-qatar-on-israel-spying-charges/ar-AA1iWRkj

"Eight Indian ex-naval officers sentenced to death in Qatar on Israel spying charges"

"India’s government said that “all legal options were being explored” after expressing “deep shock” at Thursday’s verdict."
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,713
    Leon said:

If he is waiting for the big laughs at his one liners he is probably still there.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    edited October 2023
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Agamemnon was hilarious. Non stop laughs from start to finish. He had gone off the boil by the time of The Eumenides though. He was getting a bit childish and had too many fart jokes. ;)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    edited October 2023
    kyf_100 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karni_Mata_Temple :open_mouth:
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"5 o'clock"
    "How about 3.30 then?"
    "Amazing."

“Yes.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karni_Mata_Temple :open_mouth:
    Ugh. See your point. But I think I was a cat in a former life :wink:
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

His (deeply unamusing) Oresteian trilogy is an exception. Persai is wonderfully dull, considering the immediate and contemporary context in which it is written - it ought to be one of the great set pieces of history and drama but isn't. He was present at Marathon and Salamis. It doesn't show.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

His (deeply unamusing) Oresteian trilogy is an exception. Persai is wonderfully dull, considering the immediate and contemporary context in which it is written - it ought to be one of the great set pieces of history and drama but isn't. He was present at Marathon and Salamis. It doesn't show.
    My absurdly bright older daughter loves Greek drama. I have tried a couple of times but SNORE

• Options

I'd have thought it the antithesis of conservative thinking to say - ooh, banks are just any old private company; let them go to the wall and let's just suffer the massive economic and social upheaval that will follow. Conservatism, by definition, is surely about preserving the world as we've always known it.
    There is a strain of thought, which i partially subscribe to, that we need to make bank failure easier. That is, banks should be smaller, so that when they fail, the Bank Of England gets the industry as a whole to cover the losses, and the managers of the failed bank do the the traditional thing - shoot themselves, run away to die in a slum in Paris.
  • Options
    A deeply troubling thread from a “deradicalised” Muslim at Cambridge Uni

“Here's something else:

The actual number of extremist Islamists is represented by a far more significant proportion of the Muslim population than anyone cares to admit.

The threat is so severe and widespread that we in the West have no idea how to even begin to contend with it.”

https://x.com/sohailsnahmed/status/1716970939961967097?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    I assume Sadiq Khan has said that Hamas should return all hostages unconditionally before any ceasefire talks begin?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

My absurdly bright older daughter loves Greek drama. I have tried a couple of times but SNORE

My Greek colleagues assure me that there are lots of fart jokes in some of the plays, particularly those set on triremes due to proximity of faces and arses.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Leon said:

A deeply troubling thread from a “deradicalised” Muslim at Cambridge Uni

“Here's something else:

The actual number of extremist Islamists is represented by a far more significant proportion of the Muslim population than anyone cares to admit.

The threat is so severe and widespread that we in the West have no idea how to even begin to contend with it.”

https://x.com/sohailsnahmed/status/1716970939961967097?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

The pew research from a decade ago was pretty instructive, something like 40% of Muslims in western countries agreed with the notion that violence was an acceptable repercussion for people who insulted Islam. That's not a "small minority" as is always said to be the case and that research was done about 10 years ago, I'd suggest attitudes have hardened since then. Younger Muslims seem more militant than their parents and their grandparents.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,412
    MaxPB said:

I assume Sadiq Khan has said that Hamas should return all hostages unconditionally before any ceasefire talks begin?

Are there many votes for him in that ?
  • Options
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Introduce yourself to Stravinsky's 'Oedipus Rex' as a lively way in to the cheery charms of Sophocles, which can be followed up by hefty doses of Freud and Ernest Jones. The great Greek stories cut very deep.
This discussion has been closed.