Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Braving a New World – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    TimS said:

maxh said:

algarkirk said:

maxh said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

I agree about the increase in the African population but part of the problem there is violent Islam, which was surely a spin-off from the Iraq War.

I mean, I greatly enjoyed it at the time but Iraq 2 was surely the greatest strategic blunder of the last century. It was completely unnecessary and surely marks the start of the decline of the west.
    The economic decline of the West relative to the rest of the world is to be welcomed imo. The opposite would be a scandal.
    I wholeheartedly agree on the relative economic decline (obvs not absolute).

But we should not welcome the decline in western values (or at least the values the west professes to hold - hypocrisy is a real problem). This is what Alan is picking up on I think - he is absolutely correct that democracy has lost legitimacy and we urgently need to rebuild that legitimacy to be able to promote it worldwide.

Right now I can see why developing nations might pick a Chinese social model over a European or American one, and that’s a problem in my eyes.
    There is of course the problem with 'a Chinese social model' that there is no way of knowing, once they have it, that they have picked it.

Democracy on our model, with all its flaws, is the only basic format known to logic and reason which is able to test out at all, though imperfectly, the claim that 'we in power are doing what the people want'.
    Very much agree. When I say I can see why developing nations might pick such a model, I mean the leaders of those nations not the populace. I’m not advocating such a choice in the slightest.

Though, in my darker moments, watching Russian aggression, democratic implosion in USA and the rise of populism globally, I do vaguely wonder if things go really south in my lifetime, historians might look back on 21st century and see the Chinese model as the least worst option.

Obviously a Uighur, Tibetan or (probably) Taiwanese would vociferously disagree.
    The point of inflection will be when the poor of the world head to China to realise their dreams, risk life and limb on boats or clambering over mountains to make a new life there. And when Chinese demographics start to look positive again.

I was taken aback here in Georgia by a conversation with our taxi driver. He owns a sunflower seed factory. I asked how did he end up doing that. Bought it from his uncle, who sold up, headed to Mexico, illegally crossed the Rio Grande into the US and has lived there undocumented for several years as a taxi driver himself, now applying for a green card.

People are still drawn in by the American dream, including those like Georgians with visa free holiday travel to the EU. enough to run the gauntlet of people smugglers. As a result the US population pyramid is healthy while most of Eurasia is entering terminal demographic decline.

This is surely the one hope. Who actually would ever choose, of their own volition, to live in Russia, China, Iran or North Korea (God help us), if they had the alternative choice of a Western democracy. Anyone? Must count for something.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044
    This is the same stage, as when we got de Kock out in the first over…
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    rcs1000 said:

Anybody had Hunt down for next Tory leader can rip up their betting slips.

If the Conservatives were to lose all their seats, however, he might still be in with a shot.
    You bastard

Now I’m going to have a nightmare about Jacob Rees-Mogg being the only surviving Tory MP…
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,305
    TimS said:

maxh said:

algarkirk said:

maxh said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

I agree about the increase in the African population but part of the problem there is violent Islam, which was surely a spin-off from the Iraq War.

I mean, I greatly enjoyed it at the time but Iraq 2 was surely the greatest strategic blunder of the last century. It was completely unnecessary and surely marks the start of the decline of the west.
    The economic decline of the West relative to the rest of the world is to be welcomed imo. The opposite would be a scandal.

But we should not welcome the decline in western values (or at least the values the west professes to hold - hypocrisy is a real problem). This is what Alan is picking up on I think - he is absolutely correct that democracy has lost legitimacy and we urgently need to rebuild that legitimacy to be able to promote it worldwide.

Right now I can see why developing nations might pick a Chinese social model over a European or American one, and that’s a problem in my eyes.
    There is of course the problem with 'a Chinese social model' that there is no way of knowing, once they have it, that they have picked it.

Democracy on our model, with all its flaws, is the only basic format known to logic and reason which is able to test out at all, though imperfectly, the claim that 'we in power are doing what the people want'.
    Very much agree. When I say I can see why developing nations might pick such a model, I mean the leaders of those nations not the populace. I’m not advocating such a choice in the slightest.

Though, in my darker moments, watching Russian aggression, democratic implosion in USA and the rise of populism globally, I do vaguely wonder if things go really south in my lifetime, historians might look back on 21st century and see the Chinese model as the least worst option.

Obviously a Uighur, Tibetan or (probably) Taiwanese would vociferously disagree.
    The point of inflection will be when the poor of the world head to China to realise their dreams, risk life and limb on boats or clambering over mountains to make a new life there. And when Chinese demographics start to look positive again.

I was taken aback here in Georgia by a conversation with our taxi driver. He owns a sunflower seed factory. I asked how did he end up doing that. Bought it from his uncle, who sold up, headed to Mexico, illegally crossed the Rio Grande into the US and has lived there undocumented for several years as a taxi driver himself, now applying for a green card.

People are still drawn in by the American dream, including those like Georgians with visa free holiday travel to the EU. enough to run the gauntlet of people smugglers. As a result the US population pyramid is healthy while most of Eurasia is entering terminal demographic decline.
    Other models are possible. China can be a hegemon without an equivalent "Chinese dream".
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

One person with some impressive longevity is Ed Miliband.

He gets a go with a Cabinet post at the failing end of a long period of Labour government as a young politician, has his shot at the top job after some surprising ruthlessness in not kowtowing to expectations of political primogeniture, fails, but is back at the top table of the LotO, and in line for a Cabinet post 14.5 years after his last one, still a relatively young man in political terms.

How many with previous Cabinet experience were there in the first Cameron ministry?

Hague (which was news to me)
    Clarke

And I think that's it.

In 1997 I think only Jack Cunningham and Margaret Beckett had even been junior ministers under Callaghan.

In 1964 the only former cabinet ministers were Wilson and Gordon Walker (outside Parliament).

So it's not that unusual.
    Which is why Ed's longevity in relative terms is impressive - because it is unusual after long periods in opposition to still have senior people from before hanging around.

It's not easy to maintain a senior post and relevance over that amount of time - after all, Blair and Cameron were not even MPs when the party they displaced took power. Not will Keir have been.
    Douglas Alexander is standing again, after a period out of parliament. He's a former cabinet minister, under Gordon Brown. Imagine he may end up in Starmer's cabinet.
    Secretary of State for Scotland?
    More likely Ian Murray, at least to start with. I don't think Alexander would go straight into cabinet in any event. But he wouldn't be re-entering politics if he wasn't ambitious for office.
  • Options
    Its the hope that kills you....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,944
    A major screw-up by Keir Starmer. He went far too far and now the pendulum has turned decisively in favour of the downtrodden Palestinians he looks at best an opportunist or at worst a LABOUR leader who doesn't give a damn about the human rights of Palestinians.

BJO for once had it right.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,082

No, it’s the stress induced aneurism that kills you.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,111
    edited October 2023

rcs1000 said:

If the Conservatives were to lose all their seats, however, he might still be in with a shot.
    You bastard

Now I’m going to have a nightmare about Jacob Rees-Mogg being the only surviving Tory MP…
    Based on majority size Mark Francois would be one of the contenders for last Tory standing.

Sir Gavin Williamson would also be in the mix.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,097
    darkage said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

It is darkly diverting watching progressive left wing pro-immigration Jews on TwiX now suddenly seeing the terrible downsides of multiculturalism

Very hard to see how this plays out

Why don't you just let rip with the anti muslim prejudice instead of dressing it up with these artful constructions?
    Because I’m making a particular point which you are determined to misconstrue

Whatevs
    'Multiculturalism doesn't work'

Isn't that it? Your particular point?
    No. It isn’t

I mean we can continue your infantile discourse if you like, but I’m making a more sophisticated point

Jewish people of the left - previously progressive, pro immigration and pro multiculturalism - are suddenly realising these polices are a disaster for them

As they are a vocal and influential constituency within the left - in Britain and elsewhere - this will have a significant effect on our politics. I have Jewish friends who have made exactly this intellectual leap in the past week
    You're saying some left wing jews now agree with you that multiculturalism isn't working esp with the muslims.

Yes that's very sophisticated but I'm getting it.
    It was quite alarming walking to the tube in London last week, there was a protest outside the tube station where people were saying through megaphones 'from the river to the sea Palestine will be free' and 'support the militias', and all this was being tolerated by passers by (admittedly including myself) and the police. So basically denying Israel's right to exist and supporting terrorism.

So how are you going to feel in that situation if you are Jewish?
    Just seen a video on Twitter of a Central Line tube driver leading a ‘Free Palestine’ chant as he was driving. Can’t believe it can be real, but it seems to be

• Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 855
    algarkirk said:

CatMan said:
    If the Tories stood a One Nation Tory, capable of understanding Burke and the complexity of running a large country in a progressively Conservative manner, in every seat, they will still lose but would win when they do the same in 2028/9.
    They’d need to find quite a few fresh faces, though, wouldn’t they.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,162
    "the West has decayed from the high point of the 1990s"

100% true imo.
  • Options

TimS said:

maxh said:

algarkirk said:

maxh said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Other models are possible. China can be a hegemon without an equivalent "Chinese dream".
    It’s definitely true that people are not seeing China as the land of opportunity, in the same way as the US, Canada, Australia, or European countries. There’s Westeners with very specific skills who are making money there, but it’s not the same as for example immigration to the Gulf states.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,162
    maxh said:

algarkirk said:

maxh said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

I don't see how you can be both pro-democracy and complaining of populism. Democracy and populism are not the same, obviously, but populism is a normal facet of democracy which quite naturally arises whenever political leaders become too detached from the concerns of a large segment of the electorate.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Dura_Ace said:

MikeL said:

Not sure if discussed on here yesterday but report in The Times yesterday said Ministers have been warned about security risk of General Election at the same time as the US Presidential Election.

Quotes Whiehall source saying: "There are huge security and market implications if two Five Eyes countries are holding elections at once. It could potentially open up two countries to cyberwarfare and electoral manipulation from hostile states and if a security threat were to arise during a campaign it would leave western countries exposed."

Surely there is less risk if they have the GE coincidental with the 2024 Presidential as Russia/Ukraine/China/Israel/RNLI will have to spread their resources wider.
    Could someone please take pity on my abysmal ignorance and explain what the RNLI is doing in the same list as Russia, Ukraine, China, Israel? Google only returns the Lifeboats people.

Good evening, everyone.
    I assume he meant DPRK (North Korea) but that’s one hell of an autocorrect!
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,058
    HYUFD said:

Jeremy Hunt ‘set to quit as MP’ in fear of a Portillo moment
    The chancellor will stand down before the election as likelihood of defeat in new Surrey seat looms, senior Tories say

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/21/jeremy-hunt-set-to-quit-as-mp-in-fear-of-a-portillo-moment

No word from Hunt himself.

“Barring a miracle [of the Tories winning and forming another government], I can’t see Jeremy wanting to be in opposition under a new leader. And if he loses he will be the biggest scalp on election night. That is not a departure anyone would want. People in Surrey are saying he will not stand.”

Suggestions instead he will go to the Lords and combine that with a return to business
    I don’t blame him. He’s done his bit for his party. Can you imagine the state of the Tories if he hadn’t stabilised the Treasury after Kwarteng?
  • Options
    Folded him like a deckchair...
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,714
    Roger said:

A major screw-up by Keir Starmer. He went far too far and now the pendulum has turned decisively in favour of the downtrodden Palestinians he looks at best an opportunist or at worst a LABOUR leader who doesn't give a damn about the human rights of Palestinians.

Not convinced. Sir K needs centrist votes by the million. Many of them are unimpressed by the Hamas case and cause, make little noise about it, but they vote. I think he has got the difficult balance about right.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Good piece Alan. But what does Western politicians 'reconnecting with their electorate' look like?

The looks on their faces. What are they seeing in him that makes them so...yearnful?
    $$$$$$
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

You bastard

Based on majority size Mark Francois would be one of the contenders for last Tory standing.

Sir Gavin Williamson would also be in the mix.
    Neither of those make my dreams any sweeter…

• Options
    TimS said:

maxh said:

algarkirk said:

maxh said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes I’m sure that’s right, and on balance of probabilities I can see more paths to China imploding than USA or Europe.

I do wonder how much the reality of undocumented life in USA matches the ‘American dream’ though. To match your anecdote with another, which is at best tangential to the point we’re discussing:

I lived in Ecuador for a year or so about 12 years back. One of my closest friends there had travelled illegally to UK, worked in London for five years and then had returned home to become an English teacher in his home town. He said that, once the excitement of being in UK had worn off, his life in London was harder and more culturally disjointed than at home.

Though it must be said his experience in the USA might have been different. Also, it must be said that his home town, Lola, is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. So perhaps he isn’t representative of anything much!
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Good piece Alan. But what does Western politicians 'reconnecting with their electorate' look like?

The looks on their faces. What are they seeing in him that makes them so...yearnful?
    Edit: deleted - duplicate post.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,135
    AnneJGP said:

Dura_Ace said:

MikeL said:

Not sure if discussed on here yesterday but report in The Times yesterday said Ministers have been warned about security risk of General Election at the same time as the US Presidential Election.

Quotes Whiehall source saying: "There are huge security and market implications if two Five Eyes countries are holding elections at once. It could potentially open up two countries to cyberwarfare and electoral manipulation from hostile states and if a security threat were to arise during a campaign it would leave western countries exposed."

Surely there is less risk if they have the GE coincidental with the 2024 Presidential as Russia/Ukraine/China/Israel/RNLI will have to spread their resources wider.
    Could someone please take pity on my abysmal ignorance and explain what the RNLI is doing in the same list as Russia, Ukraine, China, Israel? Google only returns the Lifeboats people.

Good evening, everyone.
    They rescue boat people.
  • Options
    England = Wimbledon AFC during crazy game era.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

$$$$$$
    That's more what he sees in them.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,993
    boulay said:

No, it’s the stress induced aneurism that kills you.
    Thank goodness I just had a quite relaxing Stilton sauce.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814
    Has Farrell got de Kock out yet?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,993
    edited October 2023
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Money?

Edit: more than beaten to it!
  • Options
    It's an England crowd out there tonight
  • Options
    Excellent header Alanbrooke.

..So the Manchester University radical was just hiding.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814
    Roger said:

Classic Rogerdamus.
  • Options

England = Wimbledon AFC during crazy game era.

Crazy Gang era
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803

TimS said:

maxh said:

algarkirk said:

maxh said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

The rise of a lot of 'great powers' has previously been based on slavery, genocide, colonialism... Nothing is going to stop China following some variation of the same path.

In this context it is quite astounding how people in the west, particularly the anglosphere, go on and on about slavery, colonialism and genocide that took place many generations previously and was subsequently disowned and abolished, but has nothing to say about the modern day equivalent in China and other parts of the developing world. The same people who live in a society that is heavily indebted due to overconsumption yet want to spent vast amounts of money on 'reparations' to resolve historic grievances. It seems pretty likely to me that a society built on this type of introspection will just get wiped out. The header goes on about politicians reconnecting with voters... well the way I see it that is what Trump is doing, and that is why a lot of people vote for him - as an alternative to inevitable failure.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,173
    Dura_Ace said:

We disagree on most things, but on this, totally agree.
  • Options
    England giving away too many penalties.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,845
    maxh said:

TimS said:

maxh said:

algarkirk said:

maxh said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes I’m sure that’s right, and on balance of probabilities I can see more paths to China imploding than USA or Europe.

I do wonder how much the reality of undocumented life in USA matches the ‘American dream’ though. To match your anecdote with another, which is at best tangential to the point we’re discussing:

I lived in Ecuador for a year or so about 12 years back. One of my closest friends there had travelled illegally to UK, worked in London for five years and then had returned home to become an English teacher in his home town. He said that, once the excitement of being in UK had worn off, his life in London was harder and more culturally disjointed than at home.

Though it must be said his experience in the USA might have been different. Also, it must be said that his home town, Lola, is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. So perhaps he isn’t representative of anything much!
    The disconnect he speaks of is common among immigrants. In most cases they come from a mono culture to a … multi culture.

There was some interesting research on how this affects people from various cultures. The Islamist retreat to the 14th cent in the face of their sisters wearing makeup and their best friend marrying “out” is a standard trope. There are others.

Some embrace what can see like chaos. Others hunger for the simplicity of one religion, one nation, one culture… hmmm could make a catchy slogan in the right language.
  • Options

That could have been written at any time in the last two decades.
  • Options

Roger said:

Classic Rogerdamus.
    To lose 23 resigning Labour councillors looks like carelessness
  • Options

kle4 said:

One person with some impressive longevity is Ed Miliband.

He gets a go with a Cabinet post at the failing end of a long period of Labour government as a young politician, has his shot at the top job after some surprising ruthlessness in not kowtowing to expectations of political primogeniture, fails, but is back at the top table of the LotO, and in line for a Cabinet post 14.5 years after his last one, still a relatively young man in political terms.

How many with previous Cabinet experience were there in the first Cameron ministry?

Hague (which was news to me)
    Clarke

And I think that's it.

George Young as well, I think, he may have been permanent attending Dave's cabinet.
    Yes, George Young was both Leader of the House and Chief Whip under Cameron having served as Transport Secretary under Major.

What’s really interesting are those individuals that populated the top ranks of Cameron’s ministry who all had government experience from the Major administration. From memory, the list included Fox, Gillan, Maude, Willetts, Fallon, McLoughlin and Strathclyde.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,550
    On multiculturalism: My forthright opinion is that whether it can work or not depends.

Two examples where it has worked: First, the Amish. They settled in Pennsylvania because the Quakers there were also pacifists. They might well have failed in New England (Puritans), Maryland (Catholics), or Virginia (Episcopalians). (Some of them helped my borther in Colorado build a house last year, and a Pennsylvania friend replace a roof this year.)

Second, the Irish, Italians, and Poles. It took time, but these three groups now generally get along in our big cities, and often intermarry. As in the first example, the groups shared many religious beliefs from the beginning.

And when the incoming groups have radically different beliefs? If they are willing to "convert", then it may work. Sometimes that conversion is literal; a few years ago I read about a group of refugees from the Middle East who, living in Germany, asked to be instructed in Lutheranism, so they could fit in.

(Fiji is an example of where multiculturalism has not worked; the immigrants from India and their descendants have not fit in well. There are many other such example.)
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,845
    darkage said:

TimS said:

maxh said:

algarkirk said:

maxh said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

The rise of a lot of 'great powers' has previously been based on slavery, genocide, colonialism... Nothing is going to stop China following some variation of the same path.

In this context it is quite astounding how people in the west, particularly the anglosphere, go on and on about slavery, colonialism and genocide that took place many generations previously and was subsequently disowned and abolished, but has nothing to say about the modern day equivalent in China and other parts of the developing world. The same people who live in a society that is heavily indebted due to overconsumption yet want to spent vast amounts of money on 'reparations' to resolve historic grievances. It seems pretty likely to me that a society built on this type of introspection will just get wiped out. The header goes on about politicians reconnecting with voters... well the way I see it that is what Trump is doing, and that is why a lot of people vote for him - as an alternative to inevitable failure.

A Ghanaian told me that China was impressive - it took a century to get to the level of resentment against the British Empire, that the Chinese Empire has managed in a decade or two. Not at the elite level, but at the level of the person in the street.

In a few years, populism about “taking back our country from China” will be a big movement in a few places.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Classic Rogerdamus.
    Given they resigned because Starmer isn’t racist enough for them, he’s better of rid in the eyes of millions of swing voters.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That could have been written at any time in the last two decades.
    Normally with Cole or Marler being the one giving it away.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Not a problem whilst the Saffers are giving even more in kickable positions....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,097
    edited October 2023
    It might not be the driver leading the chant though, how do we know it’s not someone on the train with a kind of megaphone?

Then again, why would that person wish the marchers well, rather than get off the train & go with them?

https://x.com/alexrubner/status/1715721468489695303?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    Okay, so who bet on England being ahead at half time?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    Sandpit said:

Ben O Keefe
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,103
    Starmer should have just said “ international law” ad nauseam and nothing else . It was a surprising mistake to fall into the trap .

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Indian bookmakers?.....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,233
    @kateferguson4
    EXCL - Proposed law banning conversion therapy will be kicked into the long grass.

The Bill is not in the Kings Speech

Comes amid a growing Tory mutiny over controversial plan.

Over 40 Tory MPs are writing to the government opposing it
    https://x.com/kateferguson4/status/1715797072782242020?s=20
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    Roger said:

The pendulum has turned? Citation needed.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,265
    isam said:

It might not be the driver leading the chant though, how do we know it’s not someone on the train with a kind of megaphone?

Then again, why would that person wish the marchers well, rather than get off the train & go with them?

https://x.com/alexrubner/status/1715721468489695303?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Owen Jones has spotted a new bandwagon to jump on:

https://x.com/owenjones84/status/1715775511488499961

Palestine and RMT member? Bingo!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Indian bookmakers?.....
    [Insert self censored post about earlier sport].
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Iraq 2 contributed to economic decline, but that's really beside the point.
    We'd been struggling towards a principles based global order. Iraq fatally undermined what moral authority the U.S. and its allies had, and seriously divided western societies.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,714
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Classic Rogerdamus.
    Given they resigned because Starmer isn’t racist enough for them, he’s better of rid in the eyes of millions of swing voters.
    Yes. The next GE isn't between Israel and Hamas. From Labour's point of view it's between Labour and Conservative (hundreds of seats) and SNP (40ish seats).

In England not a soul is going to vote Tory because Sir K is pro Israel. In Scotland Labour present an alternative prospectus to the SNP which veers a bit Palestinian.

The Islamic vote, the broad left vote and the extreme anti-Israel vote is going nowhere else important in electoral terms. This election will be won from the centre, which is why currently Sir K is winning it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@kateferguson4
    EXCL - Proposed law banning conversion therapy will be kicked into the long grass.

What could they have against it? Is there some feature in the detail of the Bill I’m not seeing that justifies demurring? Based on the short title, I’d hope it would be a Bill capable of commanding 650 votes.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

We'd been struggling towards a principles based global order. Iraq fatally undermined what moral authority the U.S. and its allies had, and seriously divided western societies.
    Yes because leaving Saddam Hussein in power, one of the most bloody dictators of the 20th century, would have been such a moral decision!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I have some 18s for the trophy.
  • Options
    isam said:

Someone who found the controls to the guard's intercom? Could be anything.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

@kateferguson4

What could they have against it? Is there some feature in the detail of the Bill I’m not seeing that justifies demurring? Based on the short title, I’d hope it would be a Bill capable of commanding 650 votes.
    Certainly many socially conservative Conservative MPs will be ideologically opposed to banning conversion therapy for trans people for example pre potential surgery
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@kateferguson4

Was that the last remaining legacy of Penny being sponsored by Stonewall, threatening to imprison Sunday School teachers?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes because leaving Saddam Hussein in power, one of the most bloody dictators of the 20th century, would have been such a moral decision!
    Keeping him in his box would have been sufficient.
    The idea that the West gets to choose who runs other countries died with Vietnam.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,005

Sandpit said:

Indian bookmakers?.....
    I took Leon's tip earlier this week

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

If postponed, we’d have ended up doing the same thing no more than five years later.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Classic Rogerdamus.
    Yes. The next GE isn't between Israel and Hamas. From Labour's point of view it's between Labour and Conservative (hundreds of seats) and SNP (40ish seats).

In England not a soul is going to vote Tory because Sir K is pro Israel. In Scotland Labour present an alternative prospectus to the SNP which veers a bit Palestinian.

The Islamic vote, the broad left vote and the extreme anti-Israel vote is going nowhere else important in electoral terms. This election will be won from the centre, which is why currently Sir K is winning it.
    Interesting thought, but arguably a more serious conflict is between ScotLab and SKSLab.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Perhaps not invading without a clearer mandate from the UN would have been the more moral decision, at least in consequentialist terms.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

The idea that the West gets to choose who runs other countries died with Vietnam.
    Well Saddam was removed, so the West achieved its aim there unlike Vietnam
  • Options
    "Move along please" 2023 style:

https://x.com/metpoliceuk/status/1715767952539103408

The flags in this photo are not those of ISIS. They are the ‘shahada’ which is a declaration of faith in Islam. ISIS flags may appear similar but are not the same. We have specialist officers with knowledge of flags working on this operation to assist with these assessments.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

@kateferguson4

Was that the last remaining legacy of Penny being sponsored by Stonewall, threatening to imprison Sunday School teachers?
    Certainly looks like Penny will be too woke even for most Tory MPs to be next Tory leader, let alone Tory members
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Penalty or drop goal now and surely we go favourite.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

@kateferguson4

Certainly many socially conservative Conservative MPs will be ideologically opposed to banning conversion therapy for trans people for example pre potential surgery
    Oh so there is something in the detail? Once we bring young people struggling with whether they are trans into it, I might not call working with them on whether the feeling is “real” before they have a op they can’t reverse “conversation therapy”.

If that’s in scope then whether I support it all depends on the drafting - and note that I came in expecting universal support when I though it was a narrower Bill. Can’t we just ban the thing we surely all agree on (gay conversion therapy) and then move on from there?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

He was left in power after being defeated in Gulf War 1.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

An error. We could have got away with marching on Baghdad the first time.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

@kateferguson4

Oh so there is something in the detail? Once we bring young people struggling with whether they are trans into it, I might not call working with them on whether the feeling is “real” before they have a op they can’t reverse “conversation therapy”.

If that’s in scope then whether I support it all depends on the drafting - and note that I came in expecting universal support when I though it was a narrower Bill. Can’t we just ban the thing we surely all agree on (gay conversion therapy) and then move on from there?
    I doubt there would even be 100% support for banning gay conversion therapy, certainly many of the DUP and a few very socially conservative Tory MPs like traditionalist Roman Catholic Edward Leigh or evangelicals like Danny Kruger would not support a ban
  • Options
    England throwing it away...literally....
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

If postponed, we’d have ended up doing the same thing no more than five years later.
    Why? There are brutal dictators all over the world be we don't feel the need to kill 200,000 people and spend $800bn a time to depose them.
    I didn’t say anything about deposing him because he was a brutal dictator.

We’d have been back for more off the back of more weapons inspector shenanigans.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

No, it lost billions and completely screwed up international relations for the next couple of decades. And fucked up the region.
    Not a great swap for getting rid of a middle ranking autocrat.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

It sure did. I was more thinking about a phrase used in the header: western hegemony. This is a good thing if it refers to liberal democracy but not if it refers to wealth and living standards. Of course how those 2 things are correlated (and linked to the size and use of military power) is an interesting question.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

And Thatcher wanted to go all the way to Baghdad but she was replaced midway through by Major who like Bush Snr was more wary
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,184
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

@kateferguson4

BIB: I suggested that the last time it was long grassed. Nobody cared. People preferred complaining about trans to actually making gay people's lives better.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543
    Excellent thread header making clear that the pain of colonialism goes on with so many poor souls (like me) suffering the agonies of following Man U.
  • Options
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

An error. We could have got away with marching on Baghdad the first time.
    Yes, and the post-Cold War hubris hadn't yet set in so it probably would have been handled much better.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

@kateferguson4

BIB: I suggested that the last time it was long grassed. Nobody cared. People preferred complaining about trans to actually making gay people's lives better.
    Yeah, I think that’s got to be the conclusion.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

No, it lost billions and completely screwed up international relations for the next couple of decades. And fucked up the region.
    Not a great swap for getting rid of a middle ranking autocrat.
    On what basis? Al Qaeda were there even before the invasion, no other regime in the Middle East has changed since and Saddam would certainly be providing Putin with funds and arms to use against Ukraine now
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

maxh said:

algarkirk said:

maxh said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

I don't see how you can be both pro-democracy and complaining of populism. Democracy and populism are not the same, obviously, but populism is a normal facet of democracy which quite naturally arises whenever political leaders become too detached from the concerns of a large segment of the electorate.
    Sorry, missed this.

Yes I see your point and I think reducing the disconnection between politicians and the population they serve is healthy, if sometimes a bit messy.

My fear is that the current round of populism is more than that - the fragmentation of political discourse and the power of segmented easy answers to tricky questions through eg targeted Facebook ads allows a populist to unwind the democratic process such that they can hold onto power even when their own disconnect with the people is as great as the politicians they displaced.

But perhaps it has ever been thus.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Why? There are brutal dictators all over the world be we don't feel the need to kill 200,000 people and spend $800bn a time to depose them.
    They hadn’t stuck the finger up to Daddy Bush though
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Daddy Bush decided not to topple Saddam after defeating him in the Gulf War and liberating Kuwait, even though Thatcher wanted to (first and probably last time we had a UK PM who was right of a US Republican President)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,184

Dura_Ace said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

I read that sentence and accidentally omitted the "to". It changed the meaning somewhat. :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Get the fuck in.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    There you go - Crossover.
  • Options
    maxh said:

Andy_JS said:

maxh said:

algarkirk said:

maxh said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sorry, missed this.

Yes I see your point and I think reducing the disconnection between politicians and the population they serve is healthy, if sometimes a bit messy.

My fear is that the current round of populism is more than that - the fragmentation of political discourse and the power of segmented easy answers to tricky questions through eg targeted Facebook ads allows a populist to unwind the democratic process such that they can hold onto power even when their own disconnect with the people is as great as the politicians they displaced.

But perhaps it has ever been thus.
    Well perhaps the establishment politicians had been spending for too much time working for their donors, rather than their electorate? If they’re only in it for themselves, why shouldn’t they be voted out?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    FARRELL!!!!!

Best drop goal since Wilkinson in the 2003 final?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,520
    Win or lose from here, they’ve done us proud.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    I'm not going to believe until the whistle blows. SA have a knack for winning at the last.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Daddy Bush decided not to topple Saddam after defeating him in the Gulf War and liberating Kuwait, even though Thatcher wanted to (first and probably last time we had a UK PM who was right of a US Republican President)
    Yes, she was wrong about German reunification, too.
This discussion has been closed.