Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Andy Burnham backers please explain yourselves – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,000
    Dura_Ace said:

Mrs DA despatched me and my platoon of Ukrainian sappers to the WI hall this weekend to render a gable end and replace some flashing. I noticed two phenomena of import to political betting during my interactions with the horrid old tory coelacanths that make that building their lair.

1. They refer to the Daily Mail as "The Paper" as if no other newspaper exists. It and GB News are their exclusive source of news.

2. They love Swella and it's everybody else's fault that all of her channel schemes haven't worked.

Conclusion: Swella will win with the members. If anointed by the DM she should be the unbackable favourite. Hurrah for the blueshirts.

Oi! That's my parents you are talking about!

(Sadly spot on with their media and politics)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,271
    Sandpit said:

Might Eddie Izzard be worth a bet?

He's in LA right now.

(Is that the right pronoun for Eddie?)
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,413
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

He's in LA right now.

Suzy surely now ?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,090
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT regarding CSGs...

The Ford (with CVW-8) is in the Eastern Med and the Eisenhower (with CVW-3) has just put out from Oceana, VA and so is weeks away.

Also in the Eastern Med are the Normandy, Hudney, Ramage, Carney and Roosevelt. (Guided Missile Cruiser and 4 x Guided Missile Destroyer).

Shappsie has sent RFA Argus (aviation training/PCR) but asks us all not to be embarrassed at the paucity of the contribution,

For all those of you who don't speak @DuraAce, let me translate.

The Americans have sent one big aircraft carrier and one really big aircraft carrier to the Mediterranean, along with five other ships that can launch cruise missiles to hit land and other missiles to hit planes and ships. The aircraft on the carriers can kill other planes and subs but can only drop small bombs on land. This is a fleet that can provide some support to ground troops but is better thought of as a means of enforcing air superiority and making sure no other top-tier navies stick their noses in.

The Brits have sent the Royal Navy equivalent of a hospital with a helipad. It can look after injured but that's about it. It was in the movie "World War Z" with Brad Pitt and Peter Capaldi, so there's...that. Yay, us.

We don’t need a carrier (even if we had one…) in the Eastern Med

We have Akrotiri.

A hospital ship strikes me as quite useful

Indeed it looks like someone in the MoD has engaged thinking mode. Sending a hospital ship with helipad is likely to be very astute. Great publicity to be evacuating wounded children when the IDF declares a ceasefire.
    The PCR facility on Argus has to be "activated" with the embarkation of 150+ medical personnel. This has not (yet) happened.

The Argus decision will have been no more complex than what do we have afloat than we can send to the Med this weekend.
  • Options
    Earl wins it for England with that break.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,313
    France says it will ignore the ECHR to begin deporting Chechens.

https://x.com/bfmtv/status/1713271171662106698
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT regarding CSGs...

The Ford (with CVW-8) is in the Eastern Med and the Eisenhower (with CVW-3) has just put out from Oceana, VA and so is weeks away.

Also in the Eastern Med are the Normandy, Hudney, Ramage, Carney and Roosevelt. (Guided Missile Cruiser and 4 x Guided Missile Destroyer).

Shappsie has sent RFA Argus (aviation training/PCR) but asks us all not to be embarrassed at the paucity of the contribution,

The Americans have sent one big aircraft carrier and one really big aircraft carrier to the Mediterranean, along with five other ships that can launch cruise missiles to hit land and other missiles to hit planes and ships. The aircraft on the carriers can kill other planes and subs but can only drop small bombs on land. This is a fleet that can provide some support to ground troops but is better thought of as a means of enforcing air superiority and making sure no other top-tier navies stick their noses in.

The Brits have sent the Royal Navy equivalent of a hospital with a helipad. It can look after injured but that's about it. It was in the movie "World War Z" with Brad Pitt and Peter Capaldi, so there's...that. Yay, us.

We have Akrotiri.

The British go to save lives, the yanks go to
    take them. I know which country I would rather be praising.
    The yanks are going to deter others from taking lives. They don’t want to get actively involved. That is an important role that they can play which we can not.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Brook out, this has to be over.

Still need over a hundred runs. This isn't just a loss, its a humiliation and is going to trash our net run rate too.

We aren't getting out of this group stage.

Have we lost an ODI to Afghanistan before ?
    KER-BUL!
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Taz said:

Without wishing to come over like our dear friend Leon I have a really bad feeling about the Israel conflict now.

Reports of Iran putting together a Shia militia.

https://x.com/natsecjeff/status/1713523133054111928?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ

Not the most neutral of sources mind
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,251
    That was close! 👍
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Can I suggest there has never been a better set of quarter finals in ANY sport, ever?
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 597
    My predictions for this weekend are now 0-3. I am nothing if not consistent...
  • Options
    Ireland and Wales have their best ever teams and they cannot get past the quarter finals.

England's shittest team ever and we get to the semi finals at least.

Celts cannot play rugby, fact.
  • Options
    Penddu2 said:

Who are you on for tonight?
  • Options

Ireland and Wales have their best ever teams and they cannot get past the quarter finals.

England's shittest team ever and we get to the semi finals at least.

Celts cannot play rugby, fact.

Best Wales team ever? Crickey.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,624
    Taz said:

Without wishing to come over like our dear friend Leon I have a really bad feeling about the Israel conflict now.

https://x.com/natsecjeff/status/1713523133054111928?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ

I can see why signing up for this might be superficially appealing for a young hothead after the surprising success of the Hamas attack, but I'm guessing there will be fewer volunteers once the IDF get fully into gear.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,731
    Penddu2 said:

I said you were a bit rubbish at predicting these QFs and I said both northern teams will win today. So far so good

TBF I think your Welshness makes you too optimistic for Wales and too pessimistic for England, other than that you do know your rugger
  • Options
    Right. Just left to find out if SA or France get to play the All Blacks in the final.

https://twitter.com/DavidDPaxton/status/1713600757608354227
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Taz said:

Not the most neutral of sources mind
    Elon is an anagram of Leon :open_mouth:

Are they, by any chance, related?

I think we should be told :wink:
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    GIN1138 said:

Burnham's time has been and gone. If he'd been in Parliament after 2019 I think he'd probably have become Lab leader over SKS but that ship has sailed now.

After SKS Labour will surely have to elect a female leader?

Yep. Tories already had three and most likely on their fourth by the end of next year (who may also be their second ethic minority).
    Only way Labour has another white male is if they are trans.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222

Can I suggest there has never been a better set of quarter finals in ANY sport, ever?

The quarter finals of the 2003-04 champions league were pretty good:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003–04_UEFA_Champions_League_knockout_stage
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Thought you Arsenal fans would still be repressing that quarter final.
  • Options
    Penddu2 said:

To be fair the curse of Leondamus struck last night on Ireland.
  • Options
    A France-England semi will be much better for the tournament. France would have easily beaten Fiji; England could test them. France will be nervous and wary. Tho I still expect France to win

This is especially so as the other semi will be a doddle for NZ

France for the Cup
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,932
    On Topic

Benjamin Netanyahu must be in with a shout or Tommy Robinson
  • Options

Penddu2 said:

Ahem

@TheScreamingEagles Posts: 110,794

Fiji are going to win this I fear.

5:32PM

@TheScreamingEagles said:

5:34pm

Called it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,140
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT regarding CSGs...

We have Akrotiri.

Indeed it looks like someone in the MoD has engaged thinking mode. Sending a hospital ship with helipad is likely to be very astute. Great publicity to be evacuating wounded children when the IDF declares a ceasefire.
    The PCR facility on Argus has to be "activated" with the embarkation of 150+ medical personnel. This has not (yet) happened.

The Argus decision will have been no more complex than what do we have afloat than we can send to the Med this weekend.
    But, as you say, no helicopters anyway? So nothing for the medics to do.
  • Options
    If France win the Cup by

1. Beating NZ in the pool
    2. Beating the Boks in the Quarters
    3. Beating England in the semis
    4. Beathing NZ again in the Final

That is a deserved triumph

The only big team they would have avoided is Ireland
  • Options
    Taz said:

Still need over a hundred runs. This isn't just a loss, its a humiliation and is going to trash our net run rate too.

To lose to them at both our national sport and theirs...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,899
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

He's in LA right now.

Is this Los Angeles or LA LA Land?
  • Options
    It good to see two lesser nations get through to the semi-finals of the rugby WC.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,899
    Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT regarding CSGs...

We have Akrotiri.

Does this mean that Mr Shapps is thinking, or that his sub-Ministers have managed to keep him out of the way?
  • Options
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

He's in LA right now.

Is this Los Angeles or LA LA Land?
    Yes.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

No, we were beaten by the better team. On the other hand, the 2008 quarter final…

• Options

You can suggest it.

You can also suggest the moon is made of cream cheese.
  • Options

It good to see two lesser nations get through to the semi-finals of the rugby WC.

Yes, great to see Argentina and France have the chance to compete for the trophy with a teams who've actually won it.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT regarding CSGs...

We have Akrotiri.

Does this mean that Mr Shapps is thinking, or that his sub-Ministers have managed to keep him out of the way?
    I couldn't possibly comment. Perhaps there is some notion the USN will do it for the RN.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

To lose to them at both our national sport and theirs...
    England are in danger of being known as inconsistent as Pakistan once where. Not sure tactics are 100% right especially against sides like Afghanistan
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

No, we were beaten by the better team. On the other hand, the 2008 quarter final…

I was there for both QFs in 2008, the best team did win.

(Actually I was there for all three matches that week between Liverpool and Arsenal.)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    Taz said:

The difference is that you’re not actively looking forward to it.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

"Visit Gaza"
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,231

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT regarding CSGs...

We have Akrotiri.

Do ours ever work long enough to get out of the harbour.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Yanks will love the chance to bomb them back a few centuries.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I was there for both QFs in 2008, the best team did win.

(Actually I was there for all three matches that week between Liverpool and Arsenal.)
    I was at the league game. The ref completely bottled it in the first game.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Penddu2 said:

Ahem

@TheScreamingEagles Posts: 110,794

Fiji are going to win this I fear.

5:32PM

@TheScreamingEagles said:

5:34pm

Called it.
    I am on rare occasions wrong, I have no problems admitting it.

To be fair they are so rare it's not a problem.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited October 2023
    I hadn't seen the player of the march trophies they are getting at the rugby....they look like some sort of cheap knock off toy speaker.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT regarding CSGs...

We have Akrotiri.

Sure the yanks will loan them a few
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT regarding CSGs...

We have Akrotiri.

It's a converted container ship so probably quite reliable.
  • Options
    SNP delegates have backed Humza Yousaf's plan to use the next general election result to push for a second independence referendum.

An amended version of the strategy was voted through overwhelmingly at the party's annual conference in Aberdeen.

It is based on winning a majority of Scottish seats, at least 29.

This would provide a mandate to for another referendum, according to the proposals.

Under the agreed strategy, if the SNP win the majority of seats in Scotland in the next general election, it will demand the powers to hold a referendum are transferred to the Scottish Parliament.

Alternatively, the strategy said the party should consider using the 2026 Scottish Parliament election as a de facto referendum.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67116489
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT regarding CSGs...

We have Akrotiri.

That's the QE class carriers (the real carriers) and, at times in the past, the Daring class ships, you are probably thinking of. The Argus is basically a merchant ship - RFA not RN. She was [edit] Contender Bezant, new in 1981 or so, a ro-ro Ship Taken Up From Trade for the Falklands War (!). The MoD carefullky changed her name when they bought her rather than hired her. So she's been out of Pompey harbour rather a lot over the years.
  • Options

SNP delegates have backed Humza Yousaf's plan to use the next general election result to push for a second independence referendum.

An amended version of the strategy was voted through overwhelmingly at the party's annual conference in Aberdeen.

This would provide a mandate to for another referendum, according to the proposals.

Under the agreed strategy, if the SNP win the majority of seats in Scotland in the next general election, it will demand the powers to hold a referendum are transferred to the Scottish Parliament.

Alternatively, the strategy said the party should consider using the 2026 Scottish Parliament election as a de facto referendum.

So the idea is they could lose a bunch of MPs and use that as a mandate for another independence referendum. Hmm. Run that past me again. Humza.
  • Options

So the idea is they could lose a bunch of MPs and use that as a mandate for another independence referendum. Hmm. Run that past me again. Humza.
    If they have a majority that's it. It was good enough for Mrs Thatcher, remember.
  • Options

Penddu2 said:

France - better get your cash on the Bokke
  • Options
    Leon said:

Penddu2 said:

I said you were a bit rubbish at predicting these QFs and I said both northern teams will win today. So far so good

TBF I think your Welshness makes you too optimistic for Wales and too pessimistic for England, other than that you do know your rugger
    Thanks - apart from calling it Rugger..
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044
    edited October 2023

So they have 43 seats now, and are the 3rd party in the Commons, with all that brings.

They think that losing a third of their seats, and that third party status, gives them a ‘mandate’ for what exactly?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT regarding CSGs...

We have Akrotiri.

They could take other nations' helicopters with casualties (or Hamas paragliders, LOL).

Israeli casualties would be better off in an Israeli hospital though and they certainly won't taking any Palestinians.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

You can suggest it.

So your counter-suggestion is....?
  • Options
    Cashless society is impacting the ability of charities and other groups to raise funds for good causes.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/comment/article-12630377/JEFF-PRESTRIDGE-March-cashless-society-continues.html
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,817
    This'll get the GB News crowd frothing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67115772

"A man accused of making racist comments at a pro-Palestine march in London has been charged, the Met Police has said.

The 67-year-old was charged with intentionally causing racially aggravated harassment, alarm or distress after being arrested on Saturday.

The man is alleged to have made racist remarks towards people gathered in Whitehall and a police officer.

He will appear at Westminster Magistrates Court on 2 November.

The Met said on X, formerly Twitter: "The man was arrested after shouting racial abuse at those gathered in Whitehall and making similar racist comments to an officer who spoke with him.

"The man was in possession of a UK flag.

"This was in no way the reason for his arrest and forms no part of the charges against him."

The force did not offer further information about what the alleged comments were.
    "
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,264
    I think NZ will win the World Cup.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,264
    Leon said:

A France-England semi will be much better for the tournament. France would have easily beaten Fiji; England could test them. France will be nervous and wary. Tho I still expect France to win

France for the Cup

I’d rather play France than SA.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    Sandpit said:

So they have 43 seats now, and are the 3rd party in the Commons, with all that brings.

They think that losing a third of their seats, and that third party status, gives them a ‘mandate’ for what exactly?
    It is a difficult strategy to understand.

I do think the SNP already have a moral mandate for a ref via Holyrood, and can sympathise with their frustration that has been brushed off and will continue to be so. They have a difficult choice to make about how to respond to continued blockage of their plans despite electoral success.

But simply as a rallying call for supporters it sounds a hard sell when those supporters can surely see that winning many more than 29 didn't shift the dial at Westminster. Would making it a 'demand' in that case really make much difference to Keir Starmer?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,188
    Taz said:

Cashless society is impacting the ability of charities and other groups to raise funds for good causes.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/comment/article-12630377/JEFF-PRESTRIDGE-March-cashless-society-continues.html

I have had conversations with charity collectors which represented the treatment of diseases I was extremely eager to contribute money to, but could not because I refuse to transfer money online. I even offered to just give them a tenner just for being good people, but they refused to take it. It's bloody annoying.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,648

Leon said:

France for the Cup

I'd rather not play either of them. It all looks jolly painful to a weed like me.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,554
    Penddu2 said:

Penddu2 said:

To rally briefly to Penddu's cause, I too am 0 out of 3 this weekend and also had France to win.

Also, if Marquee Mark is not right about this being the best set of quarter finals in any sport ever, I can't think what beats them. Superb weekend's entertainment.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

I do think the SNP already have a moral mandate for a ref via Holyrood, and can sympathise with their frustration that has been brushed off and will continue to be so. They have a difficult choice to make about how to respond to continued blockage of their plans despite electoral success.

But simply as a rallying call for supporters it sounds a hard sell when those supporters can surely see that winning many more than 29 didn't shift the dial at Westminster. Would making it a 'demand' in that case really make much difference to Keir Starmer?
    All expectation management. Getting the faithful to keep the faith even though they are expecting to lose seats.
  • Options
    Leon said:

France for the Cup

Hey, I said it first! (hopefully have not put the kiss of death on it!) I've fancied France for WC2023 since before that first game.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,251
    CatMan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67115772

"A man accused of making racist comments at a pro-Palestine march in London has been charged, the Met Police has said.

The 67-year-old was charged with intentionally causing racially aggravated harassment, alarm or distress after being arrested on Saturday.

The man is alleged to have made racist remarks towards people gathered in Whitehall and a police officer.

He will appear at Westminster Magistrates Court on 2 November.

The Met said on X, formerly Twitter: "The man was arrested after shouting racial abuse at those gathered in Whitehall and making similar racist comments to an officer who spoke with him.

"The man was in possession of a UK flag.

"This was in no way the reason for his arrest and forms no part of the charges against him."

The force did not offer further information about what the alleged comments were.
    "

Will also get Jews going if it turns out some who made pro Hamas remarks and flew Hamas flags were not arrested too
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,565
    kle4 said:

CatMan said:

I think they come pre-frothed.
    A lot of them are as frothy as a badly-pulled pint and have bigger heads.
  • Options
    Good result for England against Fiji after a close match in the rugby.

In the cricket England were beaten by Afghanistan, perhaps fairly as we left them with the Taliban
  • Options
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

FPT regarding CSGs...

We have Akrotiri.

It's a converted container ship so probably quite reliable.
    I meant our two white elephants
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,554

Leon said:

France for the Cup

Not me. SA have come with a weirdly unbalanced team. France look close to rugby perfection - though so, after week1, do NZ.
  • Options

On current polls they may achieve neither given the swing from SNP to Labour.

Not that Sunak or Starmer will care less what Yousaf proposed and the SNP conference decided
  • Options

Leon said:

France for the Cup

Yes. Not sure France have been in a final before (I could be wrong). Home pressure may get to them.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Just a couple of thoughts on the Middle East this evening.

The atrocities perpetrated by Hamas last weekend were the epitome of barbarity, depravity and evil. We are rightly appalled and condemn them unreservedly - some of the images and symbolism verged on the biblical albeit too often repeated in more modern times.

Hamas are not stupid - far from it, they set the tone and we were still dancing to that music a week later.

They discovered and ruthlessly exploited a flaw in Israel's security and questions will need to be answered about that in time. The assualts were designed to maximise death and accentuate fear but beyond that to enhance the division between Arab and non-Arab.

Hamas's enemy isn't just Israel or the Jews - indeed, one might argue they need them to justify their own existence. No, the opposition for Hamas is moderate opinion, those within the Palestinian and Israeli communities who seek peace and reconciliation. Violence such as last Saturday's shuts down the voices of conciliation, moderation and progress and divides opinion into adversarial camps.

Let's not forget Hamas's idea of a unified Palestine isn't that of a democratic modern state but a feudalist Islamic theocracy.

Hamas would also have expected the Israeli reaction and the likely assualt by Tel Aviv's forces is the last part of the scheme - to forge a shared Palestinian memory of suffering perpetrated by Israel, supported by their allies in the West and propagate that across the Arab world. In addition, the aim is to radicalise a new generation of potential martyrs - the children orphaned as their parents are killed by Israeli missiles or tanks or the memory of having to leave a beloved home in pain.

The problem is violence is cyclical - terrorists care little for their own lives or the lives of their people. They are as nothing compared to the cause and the cause is forever.

How then do we break the cycle? I don't have any answers.

This is a great response to a question I asked this evening while discussing this vexing situation - "what is it that Hamas were hoping to get from their actions?" eternal discord and grievance - horrifying but entirely plausible.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792
    HYUFD said:

Not that Sunak or Starmer will care less what Yousaf proposed and the SNP conference decided
    Starmer will care if he is relying on the SNP to pass legislation.
  • Options

Leon said:

France for the Cup

Yes. Not sure France have been in a final before (I could be wrong). Home pressure may get to them.
    Yes they have. Three times.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I don't think he will need SNP. LD maybe who are much more natural allies for LAB.
  • Options
    Penddu2 said:

Leon said:

Penddu2 said:

Thanks - apart from calling it Rugger..
    That was, of course, deliberate-a-mundo
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,104

Leon said:

France for the Cup

France have been in three finals, all losses to the All Blacks. If France lose tonight then it extends the run that England have been in more finals than the whole of the rest of the Six Nations together (4).
  • Options

Leon said:

France for the Cup

Yes they have. Three times.
    Ok thanks I should have looked it up!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

If they have a majority that's it. It was good enough for Mrs Thatcher, remember.
    You need momentum to generate political change. I suppose losing seats is a form of momentum but is scarcely likely to be in the direction you are seeking. No?

(I think, with respect, the majority Mrs T would have been thinking of would not have borne much resemblance to, or would have any bearing on, the type of majority Mr Yousaf is contemplating. Which in any event is just an exercise in keeping his troops happy. Mrs T was interested in effecting change, Mr Y on keeping his job.)
  • Options

That it was passed overwhelmingly shows there is no Plan B. None that they feel they can take to the voters anyway.

Here's one. Try governing in a way that inspires you know what you are doing, and could be trusted to run an independent Scotland. Not remotely there yet.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Given the swings in Rutherglen and Selby and current polls he certainly won't be
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

You can suggest it.

Everyone can see the moon is made of Swiss cheese. Some of the holes are visible.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,503
    Cookie said:

Penddu2 said:

Penddu2 said:

To rally briefly to Penddu's cause, I too am 0 out of 3 this weekend and also had France to win.

Also, if Marquee Mark is not right about this being the best set of quarter finals in any sport ever, I can't think what beats them. Superb weekend's entertainment.
    I'm 2 from 3 and also say France. But RU is not one of my Hot Topics so dyor and caveat emptor and markets can go down as well as up (and smoking hardens your arteries).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Holyrood wasn't even created when Thatcher was PM and she is no longer even alive.

Instead as the UK SC confirmed if Unionists have a majority across the UK, then Westminster can block an indyref2 indefinitely
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928

stodge said:

Evening all :)

Just a couple of thoughts on the Middle East this evening.

The atrocities perpetrated by Hamas last weekend were the epitome of barbarity, depravity and evil. We are rightly appalled and condemn them unreservedly - some of the images and symbolism verged on the biblical albeit too often repeated in more modern times.

Hamas are not stupid - far from it, they set the tone and we were still dancing to that music a week later.

They discovered and ruthlessly exploited a flaw in Israel's security and questions will need to be answered about that in time. The assualts were designed to maximise death and accentuate fear but beyond that to enhance the division between Arab and non-Arab.

Hamas's enemy isn't just Israel or the Jews - indeed, one might argue they need them to justify their own existence. No, the opposition for Hamas is moderate opinion, those within the Palestinian and Israeli communities who seek peace and reconciliation. Violence such as last Saturday's shuts down the voices of conciliation, moderation and progress and divides opinion into adversarial camps.

Let's not forget Hamas's idea of a unified Palestine isn't that of a democratic modern state but a feudalist Islamic theocracy.

Hamas would also have expected the Israeli reaction and the likely assualt by Tel Aviv's forces is the last part of the scheme - to forge a shared Palestinian memory of suffering perpetrated by Israel, supported by their allies in the West and propagate that across the Arab world. In addition, the aim is to radicalise a new generation of potential martyrs - the children orphaned as their parents are killed by Israeli missiles or tanks or the memory of having to leave a beloved home in pain.

The problem is violence is cyclical - terrorists care little for their own lives or the lives of their people. They are as nothing compared to the cause and the cause is forever.

How then do we break the cycle? I don't have any answers.

This is a great response to a question I asked this evening while discussing this vexing situation - "what is it that Hamas were hoping to get from their actions?" eternal discord and grievance - horrifying but entirely plausible.
    Warlords have an interest in sustaining a state of violence and terror.

In many ways it's amazing that we have largely moved away from that in much of the world.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 726
    CatMan said:

""The man was in possession of a UK flag.

Good of the police to clarify that we are still allowed to wave our own nation’s flag.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,929
    Less than an hour to go in Poland and the turnout looks very reasonable.

Huge success for the Liberals today - on the Aland Islands.
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

CatMan said:

Good of the police to clarify that we are still allowed to wave our own nation’s flag.
    You'll be arrested for not having one under the Braverman regime.
  • Options
    Taz said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

All expectation management. Getting the faithful to keep the faith even though they are expecting to lose seats.
    Taz, they have already lost most of the faithful, just throwing out as many carrots as they can to try and stay on the gravy train.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    edited October 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

NeilVW said:

CatMan said:

You'll be arrested for not having one under the Braverman regime.
    A true patriot has the flag tattooed on their buttocks (right cheek, obviously), so will be in no danger. I'm a little disturbed you served in the armed forces and did not have that take place.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

There is every chance they could be bigger than the rump of the Tory party left given current popularity.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,847
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

You can suggest it.

Everyone can see the moon is made of Swiss cheese. Some of the holes are visible.
    A variant of Wensleydale, surely?
  • Options
    Unsavoury scenes at the Rugby today where English fans are removed for fighting.

Looks like they were fighting the battle of Trafalgar

https://x.com/goodbadrugby/status/1713589401194811467?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,565
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

There is every chance they could be bigger than the rump of the Tory party left given current popularity.
    There really isn't.

Although it's instructive to note that in pretty much every country on the planet the government in power during Covid is either out, or coming under pressure. Trump lost in 2020. Putin launched a war to cement his position. The ayatollahs are trying to control mass unrest. Morrison and Ardern (well, her party) were both booted out in the antipodes. China is clearly struggling and the less said about Ireland and Sweden the better.

Scotland and England are no different.

Wales is, unfortunately. Come rain, shine, Covid or Viking raids they will still elect Drakeford's twats.
This discussion has been closed.