Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Andy Burnham backers please explain yourselves – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited October 2023

Are England allowed to concede the semi-final rather than go through it? I mean we've all had a nice time, and final four isn't bad, but probably leave it to the pros from here.

I'm hoping the winner of this match are so drained by this match that they are broken for next weekend's semi final and England smash them.
    More chance of the Tories making a comeback to win the next GE....
  • Options

Are England allowed to concede the semi-final rather than go through it? I mean we've all had a nice time, and final four isn't bad, but probably leave it to the pros from here.

I'm hoping the winner of this match are so drained by this match that they are broken for next weekend's semi final and England smash them.
    Fantasy
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,080
    edited October 2023

The only tiniest hope comes from the last World Cup where England spent everything they had to beat NZ in the semi and were gone in the final v SA. Clutching at the most minuscule, Rishi sized straw here…
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,189
    geoffw said:

Ils chantent:

abreuve nos sillons !!!

The Marseillaise was meant for this
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    edited October 2023
    I have now seen enough. Clearly the cricket World Cup should stop now, based on poor crowds, and the trophy retained by the holders (whoever that may be).

In the rugby World Cup, I feel that SA, France, Argentina, and NZ need to be disqualified for excessive preparation beforehand and unfair levels of talent. Whoever is left should battle it out for the trophy.

Seems fair.
  • Options
    eek said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Cashless society is impacting the ability of charities and other groups to raise funds for good causes.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/comment/article-12630377/JEFF-PRESTRIDGE-March-cashless-society-continues.html

hmmm so two bits of that article...quotes incoming "yet a recent change in the classification of the Lions account by HSBC means any cash deposits or withdrawals attract a 1.5 per cent charge."

and

"What jars,' says Jim, 'is that the payment machines and the online ticketing system we use charge on a percentage of takings basis. So for our recent Beer Festival in August, we made a profit of £8,000 instead of £9,000."

So on 9000 depositing cash would have cost 135 but using cashless systems cost a 1000. Aren't the proponents of cashless always telling us its so much cheaper for things to be cashless?

It doesn't past the smell test.

Cashless is much cheaper usually.

Transaction charges on debit cards is something like 30p per transaction, 2% for Mastercard and Visa credit cards, and 4% for AMEX.

(There are other transaction charging percentages but that's the usual ballpark.)
    "Online ticketing system" - presumably this is some sort of website they are paying for, as opposed to simply the transaction.
    But even then the costs aren't that high.

It simply doesn't pass the smell test for me.
    I think it's possible they've been done over and sold something they don't really need at an exorbitant cost. This happens in all sorts of areas, though is more prevalent with something like IT when a lot of the people buying it don't understand it.
    Yup that seems plausible, the whole payment system is rapidly evolving, nowadays you don't need any hardware other than a smartphone.

https://www.apple.com/uk/newsroom/2023/07/apple-introduces-tap-to-pay-on-iphone-in-the-uk/
    is it still 30p for every debit card transaction - that adds up quick if say you are selling beers at £6 a time..
    30p is extraordinarily high, there's no way a modern restaurant would be paying anything like that.

Natwest offer 1.5% on cards with no fixed transaction fee.
    Revolut offer 0.8% on cards with 2p fixed transaction fee.

https://www.expertmarket.com/uk/merchant-accounts/cheapest-way-take-payments
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,719
    edited October 2023

Fantasy
    I live in Hope, actually I live in Dore, which is 10 miles away from Hope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope,_Derbyshire
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    This is possibly the best 40 minutes of sport I have ever seen

NOOOOO don't ruin it with a red
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,561

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

SNP delegates have backed Humza Yousaf's plan to use the next general election result to push for a second independence referendum.

An amended version of the strategy was voted through overwhelmingly at the party's annual conference in Aberdeen.

It is based on winning a majority of Scottish seats, at least 29.

This would provide a mandate to for another referendum, according to the proposals.

Under the agreed strategy, if the SNP win the majority of seats in Scotland in the next general election, it will demand the powers to hold a referendum are transferred to the Scottish Parliament.

Alternatively, the strategy said the party should consider using the 2026 Scottish Parliament election as a de facto referendum.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67116489

So the idea is they could lose a bunch of MPs and use that as a mandate for another independence referendum. Hmm. Run that past me again. Humza.
    If they have a majority that's it. It was good enough for Mrs Thatcher, remember.
    Holyrood wasn't even created when Thatcher was PM and she is no longer even alive.

Instead as the UK SC confirmed if Unionists have a majority across the UK, then Westminster can block an indyref2 indefinitely
    Thank you for clarifying that Margaret Thatcher is no longer even alive.
    Even dead she haunts the dreams of both Labour and the Tories.

Hard to think of another Prime Minister who exerted such an extraordinary and divisive stranglehold on British politics so long after death. Pitt and Peel, perhaps, but very few others.
    Winston Churchill?
    I wouldn't think of him as a divisive figure post mortem, although goodness knows he was divisive enough in his career.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,413
    Upgrade it to Red ?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    Majority for the libs in the Poland exit poll
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,841
    A
    viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

viewcode said:

This is a great response to a question I asked this evening while discussing this vexing situation - "what is it that Hamas were hoping to get from their actions?" eternal discord and grievance - horrifying but entirely plausible.

• i) Preserve their power base amongst the people of Gaza and prevent interlopers superseding them as the supreme Gazan power
    • ii) Attempt to unify anti-Israeli forces outside Gaza under one banner (theirs)
    • iii) Attempt to disrupt the Israeli rapprochment with other countries, eg Saudi Arabia
    In short:
    • i) keep the power they have
    • ii) gain allies
    • iii) weaken the power of their enemy
    So far, unfortunately, it seems to be working

Excellent strategy and execution from Hamas.

The only thing Gaza produces is people so that's the resource they exploit.
    Burning up people to achieve their goal. Not good. :(
    I think it was Napoleon who was supposed to have said some thing like “France produces an income of x hundred thousand new soldiers each year. I intend to live upon my income.”
  • Options
    Ouch
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,719
    edited October 2023
    Taz said:

Upgrade it to Red ?

Nah, the French player was crouching, he wasn't in his normal upright position.
  • Options
    19-19

What a waste of a half, may as well have not bothered playing it.

*runs away*
  • Options
    Leon said:

I think it's likely.
  • Options

A

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

viewcode said:

This is a great response to a question I asked this evening while discussing this vexing situation - "what is it that Hamas were hoping to get from their actions?" eternal discord and grievance - horrifying but entirely plausible.

• i) Preserve their power base amongst the people of Gaza and prevent interlopers superseding them as the supreme Gazan power
    • ii) Attempt to unify anti-Israeli forces outside Gaza under one banner (theirs)
    • iii) Attempt to disrupt the Israeli rapprochment with other countries, eg Saudi Arabia
    In short:
    • ii) gain allies

I think it was Napoleon who was supposed to have said some thing like “France produces an income of x hundred thousand new soldiers each year. I intend to live upon my income.”
    Haven't heard that one, but when Bernadotte lamented the 1300 French dead of Austerlitz, Napoleon shrugged and said 'the women of Paris can replace them in one night.'
  • Options

Fantasy
    I live in Hope, actually I live in Dore, which is 10 miles away from Hope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope,_Derbyshire
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope,_Flintshire
  • Options

Winning here !!
  • Options
    Taz said:

Winning here !!
    No, winning there!

• Options
    edited October 2023
    France will win this, red card or not, they are too good. But the Boks are brilliant

England will, ahem, struggle a tad against France

I can't see France losing to NZ at home, not in a final in fervent Paris

Ireland might have given them a game, but the ABs it is, yet the ABs are not a vintage AB side and they got a bit lucky against an Irish machine on the blink

Bur what a series of quarter finals!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,252
    Leon said:

Incredible rugby. For once, you might not be exaggerating.
  • Options

Leon said:

Best forty mins of rugby I've ever seen.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Taz said:

Winning here !!
    No, winning there!

Touche.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

SNP delegates have backed Humza Yousaf's plan to use the next general election result to push for a second independence referendum.

An amended version of the strategy was voted through overwhelmingly at the party's annual conference in Aberdeen.

This would provide a mandate to for another referendum, according to the proposals.

Under the agreed strategy, if the SNP win the majority of seats in Scotland in the next general election, it will demand the powers to hold a referendum are transferred to the Scottish Parliament.

Alternatively, the strategy said the party should consider using the 2026 Scottish Parliament election as a de facto referendum.

So the idea is they could lose a bunch of MPs and use that as a mandate for another independence referendum. Hmm. Run that past me again. Humza.
    If they have a majority that's it. It was good enough for Mrs Thatcher, remember.
    Holyrood wasn't even created when Thatcher was PM and she is no longer even alive.

Instead as the UK SC confirmed if Unionists have a majority across the UK, then Westminster can block an indyref2 indefinitely

Hard to think of another Prime Minister who exerted such an extraordinary and divisive stranglehold on British politics so long after death. Pitt and Peel, perhaps, but very few others.
    Winston Churchill?
    I wouldn't think of him as a divisive figure post mortem, although goodness knows he was divisive enough in his career.
    Quite different opinions on him from various bits of the Empire, from India to Australia.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Upgrade it to Red ?

Probably, if they are consistent with previous decisions
  • Options

Leon said:

Yup. Almost as entertaining as a low end premier league football match, which is good going for rugby.
  • Options
    I thought there was mitiga

Leon said:

Absolutely. Just texted exactly that to my WhatsApp group of sports-minded mates.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

@stodge, @Cicero, @DoubleCarpet

As ever, thank you for your election-related coverage. You are unsung heroes.

Many thanks, much appreciated!

(Although it's taking a back seat to the rugby atm :smile: )
  • Options

Leon said:

The only game I could compare to it would be the second half of France v the All Blacks in the World Cup, 99 IIRC.

But this is better.
  • Options
    Leon said:

France will win this, red card or not, they are too good. But the Boks are brilliant

Ireland might have given them a game, but the ABs it is, yet the ABs are not a vintage AB side and they got a bit lucky against an Irish machine on the blink

Weirdly I reckon SA will win despite France having a points and man advantage
  • Options

Leon said:

Acually. I amend

The last 45 minutes of the Qatar Football World Cup final were better than this, that was possibly the greatest sporting occasion ever

But this is definitely competing for the best half of rugby ever played
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Not changing my opinion. Best quarter finals of anything EVER!
  • Options

Leon said:

Absolutely. Just texted exactly that to my WhatsApp group of sports-minded mates.
    biggles said:

Leon said:

Yup. Almost as entertaining as a low end premier league football match, which is good going for rugby.
    I mean, I’m a football man first and foremost but that’s a daft comment. This is an utterly superb example of team sport of any code.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,248
    Staying yellow
  • Options
    What's happening with the Saffer in the sin bin?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543

According to the exit poll the L&J party are likely to be the largest single party but are also going to be short of a majority and struggling to find allies to get them there.
  • Options
    England will THRASH either of these two dismal teams
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

I mean, I’m a football man first and foremost but that’s a daft comment. This is an utterly superb example of team sport of any code.
    Nah. The best rugby, when it’s near perfect, can be beautiful. Football is routinely beautiful every week, at lower levels.

But, horses for courses. Everyone is entitled to their own, incorrect, opinion. And this is an entertaining match.
  • Options

Leon said:

The difference betweem this and America Football is ridiculous

Admittedly this is the very peak of the sport, but still

OMFGGGGGG

I am not sure i have ever seen a game as good as this...
    French power versus South African flair!
    Nah, it's the other way round.
    3 tries for the French front row.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,131
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

You keep adducing Henry VIII and Charles I as the models for modern politics. So, I don't think you have any argument at all.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

What's happening with the Saffer in the sin bin?

Ah, ok, per BBC he'll rejoin about the 50 min mark

• Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Winston Churchill?
    Quite different opinions on him from various bits of the Empire, from India to Australia.
    Here is my comment:

Your comment therefore is rather irrelevant. Yes of course other people despise him, often with good reason, but that's not connected to British politics. Foot didn't invoke Churchill as a hate figure the way many in Labour still do with Thatcher.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

You keep adducing Henry VIII and Charles I as the models for modern politics. So, I don't think you have any argument at all.
    With Charles I, his ideas were dodgy but his execution was unique.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Nah. The best rugby, when it’s near perfect, can be beautiful. Football is routinely beautiful every week, at lower levels.

But, horses for courses. Everyone is entitled to their own, incorrect, opinion. And this is an entertaining match.
    Sorry. I love both sports

But football cannot match this intensity and ferocity where every second counts - at this level

And in the end I prefer football to rugby. But the very best rugby is the best
  • Options

Leon said:

The difference betweem this and America Football is ridiculous

Admittedly this is the very peak of the sport, but still

OMFGGGGGG

I am not sure i have ever seen a game as good as this...
    French power versus South African flair!
    Nah, it's the other way round.
    3 tries for the French front row.
    Just cos it's the front rowers doesn't mean it's not stylish
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,180
    Foxy said:

Interesting piece by Mark Pack on how the polls may have got it wrong for Labour.

https://theweekinpolls.substack.com/p/what-should-worry-labour-in-the-polls

Interesting and liked, thank you
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Carnyx said:

You need momentum to generate political change. I suppose losing seats is a form of momentum but is scarcely likely to be in the direction you are seeking. No?

(I think, with respect, the majority Mrs T would have been thinking of would not have borne much resemblance to, or would have any bearing on, the type of majority Mr Yousaf is contemplating. Which in any event is just an exercise in keeping his troops happy. Mrs T was interested in effecting change, Mr Y on keeping his job.)
    Edit: with precisely equal and opposite respect: there is no such thing as momentum in politics, any more than there is in biology (other than biomechanics).

The majority Mrs T had in mind was exactly the same. More than 50% of Scottish Parliamentary constituencies.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Certainly more personal than Henry Tudor, that's for sure.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

I’ve watched a lot of lower league, and non league, football and its many things. Wouldnt call it beautiful though. Enthusiastic and energetic certainly.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

With Charles I he wasn't even a model for early modern politics, which is why he came a cropper.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

One was executed by Cromwell and another had his head chopped off by Cromwell.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

A better husband, though that's a low bar to clear.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

With Charles I he wasn't even a model for early modern politics, which is why he came a cropper.
    I don';t know. Someone closing down Parliament, trying to make the Scots conform to English law and practice, and handing out dodgy monopolies left, right and centre to his chums? All very modern.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

When I teach the Russian revolution I have a PowerPoint considering the good and bad qualities of Nicholas II.

The 'good qualities' contains four words - 'good husband and father.'
    By what criteria?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

When I teach the Russian revolution I have a PowerPoint considering the good and bad qualities of Nicholas II.

Not priorities if you want to control the Russian body politic I imagine.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Winston Churchill?
    Here is my comment:

Your comment therefore is rather irrelevant. Yes of course other people despise him, often with good reason, but that's not connected to British politics. Foot didn't invoke Churchill as a hate figure the way many in Labour still do with Thatcher.
    To your original comment, it’s hard to work this out 100 years later, but I think Chamberlain was in this category for those who were active politicians in the 30s. There’s a school of thought that Rab Butler never made PM because he backed appeasement and I think a perception of Chamberlain lasted and affected his successors (would Eden have Gaitskill have both gone so hard on Suez without those ghosts?) that we find it hard to see with modern eyes.

• Options
    biggles said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Winston Churchill?
    Here is my comment:

To your original comment, it’s hard to work this out 100 years later, but I think Chamberlain was in this category for those who were active politicians in the 30s. There’s a school of thought that Rab Butler never made PM because he backed appeasement and I think a perception of Chamberlain lasted and affected his successors (would Eden have Gaitskill have both gone so hard on Suez without those ghosts?) that we find it hard to see with modern eyes.

No idea if it is right, but it's an interesting idea!
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

I don';t know. Someone closing down Parliament, trying to make the Scots conform to English law and practice, and handing out dodgy monopolies left, right and centre to his chums? All very modern.
    What’s old fashioned is that he didn’t get away with it!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Winston Churchill?
    Here is my comment:

No idea if it is right, but it's an interesting idea!
    More or less the feedback on my dissertation….
  • Options
    mickydroymickydroy Posts: 242
    Both France and South Africa look superior to England tonight, but have they left their semi final chanches on the pitch tonight?
  • Options
    mickydroy said:

Both France and South Africa look superior to England tonight, but have they left their semi final chanches on the pitch tonight?

Absolutely not
  • Options
    ffs

what a game
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050

mickydroy said:

Absolutely not
    The sad part is that's the optimist speaking
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,596
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Big on railways though.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Interesting piece by Mark Pack on how the polls may have got it wrong for Labour.

It doesn't tell us anything new to be honest. We know Starmer is not as wildly popular as Blair was in 1995-97. To be fair to Starmer, Blair is a hard act to follow and had there been no Blair (with all the cynicism the period produced), I think Starmer would be much more popular.

As New Zealand showed yesterday, it's quite possible for an opposition to win solely because the incumbent Government has become so unpopular and the swing achieved by Luxon isn't far off what the polls are predicting Starmer will get.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    South African forwards a bunch of real brutes lol
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 951
    ydoethur said:

A

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

viewcode said:

In short:
    • ii) gain allies

Haven't heard that one, but when Bernadotte lamented the 1300 French dead of Austerlitz, Napoleon shrugged and said 'the women of Paris can replace them in one night.'
    Shades of Benjamin Franklin's maths...

Britain, at the expence of three millions, has killed 150 Yankies this campaign, which is £20,000 a head; and at Bunker’s Hill she gained a mile of ground, half of which she lost again by our taking post on Ploughed Hill.6 During the same time 60,000 children have been born in America. From these data his mathematical head will easily calculate the time and expence necessary to kill us all, and conquer our whole territory.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

When studying the same period in 1969 I made an ill-informed comment about the February revolution and my exasperated tutor said "I'll phone Kerensky and ask him".
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

mickydroy said:

Absolutely not
    The sad part is that's the optimist speaking
    Let's be realistic. This game and the skills are on another level to the one earlier today
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,596

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    22m
    FT UK: Israel warns Iran not to escalate war into broader Mideast conflict #TomorrowsPapersToday

https://twitter.com/hendopolis
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501
    Leon said:

Weird feeling France might - relatively - trounce SA

Feel free to laugh at me later

That wouldn't be fair. It's easy to get things horribly wrong.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543
    Leon said:

ffs

what a game

Neither of these teams know how to lose.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,943
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Same as Mike has been saying for weeks
  • Options
    The counting continues in Poland and it continues to look as though Law & Justice (PiS) is going to come up short even with Confederation.

The opposition grouping headed by Civic Coalition looks to have about 52% of the vote and a majority in the Sejm.

Of greater interest is the geographical split - PiS has won in the eastern half of Poland and in the countryside but the western half of the country has voted for the Civic Coalition - it's almost a clear split between those parts of Poland which were at one time German and those parts which have in the past been Russian.

It reflects geographical, historical, cultural and economic divides seen in other countries.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,162
    Just switched on the rugby. Can't believe how close it is, 1 point with a few mins to go.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501
    mickydroy said:

It's possible but I'd say there's more chance of the much weaker team pulling off an upset in one match in football than in rugby.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    Scrum resets eating clock...
  • Options

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    22m
    FT UK: Israel warns Iran not to escalate war into broader Mideast conflict #TomorrowsPapersToday

https://twitter.com/hendopolis

Naturally and Iran knows that comes with huge risks.

In a sense, Hamas has already broadened the conflict pitching those Arabs able and willing to co-exist with Israel against those which can't or won't. The broadening conflict would threaten to destablise Lebanon, Jordan and Egypt to name but three where radicalised populations could threaten established and moderate regimes.

This again explains so much of why Hamas did what it did last weekend - it was an attack on Israel but also on moderate Arab states.
  • Options
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    Noooo! My France dreams dashed!
  • Options
    England the only Northern team in the Semis
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    England represent Northern Hemisphere rugby in the semis.....
  • Options
    Hurrah England will remain the only Northern Hemisphere to

1) Ever win a world cup (until 2027)

2) Be in the semis this year.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,943
    edited October 2023
    Wow! Two unbelievable teams
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995
    stodge said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

It doesn't tell us anything new to be honest. We know Starmer is not as wildly popular as Blair was in 1995-97. To be fair to Starmer, Blair is a hard act to follow and had there been no Blair (with all the cynicism the period produced), I think Starmer would be much more popular.

As New Zealand showed yesterday, it's quite possible for an opposition to win solely because the incumbent Government has become so unpopular and the swing achieved by Luxon isn't far off what the polls are predicting Starmer will get.
    I though the lack of Tactical Voting interesting, though not sure how an MRP shows it.
  • Options

It's dire. They'll get snotted in the semis
  • Options
    An epic.
  • Options
    Great game though
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Would anyone have predicted that 3 months ago?
  • Options
    England are getting stepmommed in the semi final.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,165
    edited October 2023
    mickydroy said:

France have.
  • Options
    Anyhoo, Scotland have qualified for the Euros next year.
  • Options

Leon said:

Called it!
  • Options
    The Northern Hemisphere teams have really got to stop leaving it to England alone to be a top-four side.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

Called it!
    Well done

Tho to be honest i don't think any of us had a clue about probably...

THE FOUR GREATEST QUARTER FINALS EVER PLAYED IN RUGBY

Every single one went to the line. Monumental. Rugby graduated as a sport, here. Nothing is like this
  • Options
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

I though the lack of Tactical Voting interesting, though not sure how an MRP shows it.
    We'll see what happens when the election is called - it may be the legacy of the coalition (which ended eight and a half years ago) makes it hard for some Labour inclined to consider voting LD. There's also the truth there aren't that many seats where the LDs are the main challenger compared to the number where Labour is the challenger.

It's also been historically the case Labour voters are more willing to vote LD than LD voters are to voter Labour.
This discussion has been closed.