Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak needs a better strategy – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,801
    edited October 2023

Jezza cult in action....

Hamas is APPLAUDED by activists at Labour conference fringe event after killing hundreds of Israelis as Palestinian activist says dead terrorists have 'ascended to martyrdom'

More than 100 people attended the event at The World Transformed, a left wing festival that is not officially linked to Labour but which sprang up while Jeremy Corbyn was Labour leader.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12607559/Hamas-Israell-Labour-conference-fringe-Palestinian-terrorists.html

You say Jezza cult in action but even the Daily Mail says it is not linked to Labour, and only that it "sprang up while Jeremy Corbyn was Labour leader". It's a bit weak.
    That is what I said....I deliberately included the passage about it not being official Labour...its a section of the Jezza cult, not Labour Party under Starmer.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Jezza cult in action....

Hamas is APPLAUDED by activists at Labour conference fringe event after killing hundreds of Israelis as Palestinian activist says dead terrorists have 'ascended to martyrdom'

More than 100 people attended the event at The World Transformed, a left wing festival that is not officially linked to Labour but which sprang up while Jeremy Corbyn was Labour leader.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12607559/Hamas-Israell-Labour-conference-fringe-Palestinian-terrorists.html

Probably going to be fewer flags on the floor than in his day.

I dread to think to sorts of things being said on twitter right now, but I can kind of guess from this thread by the British-Lebanese journalist Oz Katerji.

I know I should just ignore it but it makes me very angry when I say that killing civilians is wrong and then idiots who don’t know the first thing about my career reply “these people don’t care when Israel does it”.

Yes I do. I cared long before you even heard of the conflict.

I’m Lebanese. I was born into a pro-Palestine family. I have spent my entire life advocating for the creation of a Palestinian state and opposing the occupation. I am frequently attacked on here for being a pro-Palestinian Muslim.

I oppose antisemitism & murdering civilians for the same reasons I support Palestinian statehood & oppose the occupation. I believe in justice, democracy and human rights. That’s the entire reason I chose to become a war journalist. It’s literally all that drives me as a person.

I’m sorry that you feel that rape and child murder is justified when the side you support does it. I don’t. It’s always wrong. I will always speak out against it, no matter who does it, no matter what it costs me.

It doesn’t matter how much you scream at me for doing so.

https://nitter.net/OzKaterji?cursor=DAABCgABF77FOx___-kKAAIXvcYoWhYQwwgAAwAAAAIAAA
    An LSE academic was cheering on the attacks yesterday. She's a lecturer in "post colonialist studies" as if you hadn't guessed

Today she has deleted her Twitter account. I wonder if she will keep her job. I hope not. Fuck these people

That's an eloquent statement by Oz Katerji
    I wonder what happened to the Free Speech absolutist Leon who abhorred cancel culture?
    There is quite a difference between cancelling someone for "liking" an allegedly transphobic tweet by Ricky Gervais, and someone losing their job teaching kids because they exulted in the rape and murder of Jewish kids
    So you're in favour of free speech when you agree with it.

Noted with thanks.
  • Options
    glw said:

Cyclefree said:

Jezza cult in action....

There is a pro-Palestine rally in London tomorrow where we can see more of the types of people who applaud the massacre of innocent festival goers, old people at bus stops and the rape and torture of girls.

And then we'll get some guff about hate crimes......
    I wonder if they will get the same treatment as the wanker who waved the dead kid at the footy? I suspect not.
    I think part of the reason the authorities let such events go ahead is to gather intelligence. I assume they will have cameras galore watching the terrorism supporters and the mobile traffic to base stations will be examined to identify people who should be on a watch list.
    On a weekend? The same authorities who did not even notice Shemima Begum and her mates buying one-way tickets to a war zone, because they were not looking?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,971

Rubbish, the Tories are fighting back per Deltapoll :lol:

Is there a new Deltapoll or are you talking about the one from last week?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,083
    edited October 2023
    This was retweeted by Kemi Badenoch:

The point here is that she’s right and decolonisation is an ideology committed to ethnonationalist violence and always has been. Time to exile it from the academy, media and politics (I’m not holding my breath though)

https://x.com/jsmilbank/status/1710933447978426467

In response to:

what did y'all think decolonization meant? vibes? papers? essays? losers.

https://x.com/overdramatique/status/1710689657757769783
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Jezza cult in action....

I dread to think to sorts of things being said on twitter right now, but I can kind of guess from this thread by the British-Lebanese journalist Oz Katerji.

I know I should just ignore it but it makes me very angry when I say that killing civilians is wrong and then idiots who don’t know the first thing about my career reply “these people don’t care when Israel does it”.

I’m Lebanese. I was born into a pro-Palestine family. I have spent my entire life advocating for the creation of a Palestinian state and opposing the occupation. I am frequently attacked on here for being a pro-Palestinian Muslim.

I oppose antisemitism & murdering civilians for the same reasons I support Palestinian statehood & oppose the occupation. I believe in justice, democracy and human rights. That’s the entire reason I chose to become a war journalist. It’s literally all that drives me as a person.

I’m sorry that you feel that rape and child murder is justified when the side you support does it. I don’t. It’s always wrong. I will always speak out against it, no matter who does it, no matter what it costs me.

https://nitter.net/OzKaterji?cursor=DAABCgABF77FOx___-kKAAIXvcYoWhYQwwgAAwAAAAIAAA
    An LSE academic was cheering on the attacks yesterday. She's a lecturer in "post colonialist studies" as if you hadn't guessed

Today she has deleted her Twitter account. I wonder if she will keep her job. I hope not. Fuck these people

I wonder what happened to the Free Speech absolutist Leon who abhorred cancel culture?
    There is quite a difference between cancelling someone for "liking" an allegedly transphobic tweet by Ricky Gervais, and someone losing their job teaching kids because they exulted in the rape and murder of Jewish kids
    They teach kids at LSE?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,991
    Zampa looking utterly toothless and easy to milk. Australia have a problem.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,149

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Jezza cult in action....

They teach kids at LSE?
    In terms of mental age, yes

[spoken as a true alumnus of the Godless College of Gower Street]
  • Options

Jezza cult in action....

You say Jezza cult in action but even the Daily Mail says it is not linked to Labour, and only that it "sprang up while Jeremy Corbyn was Labour leader". It's a bit weak.
    Too many people invested in resurrecting/constructing bogeyman Jezza, including quite a few in Lab. It is laughably weak though.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Jezza cult in action....

They teach kids at LSE?
    In terms of mental age, yes

[spoken as a true alumnus of the Godless College of Gower Street]
    I'm sure there used to be a poster on here a few years back who applied different age criteria to girls in Thailand.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,599
    DavidL - Perhaps you missed my comment yesterday about one possible reason for the Israeli intelligence failure: Edward Snowden.

Edward Jay Epstein concludes that Snowden revealed terrorist fighting programs that the US used, and shared with our allies. And, that Snowden revealed British and Israeli secrets, as well as ours. (I assume everyone understands that these revelations probably went from Russia to Iran, and from there to Hamas, and other terrorist organizations.)

If true, that doesn't absolve Netanyahu's government of responsibility; they should have restored more of their intelligence capabilities, by now.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/547346/how-america-lost-its-secrets-by-edward-jay-epstein/
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,616
    This is a video with a voiceover generated by elevenlabs.io . It is based on the voice of the actor Michael Ironside. it sounds exactly like him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0kbNDaenjk

This is a video with fake voiceover of Bill Clinton, Dick Cheney, Tony Blair and John Howard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-6Niw_ZTJo

This is a video with fake voiceover of Field Marshal Montgomery surrendering to the Germans following the invasion of Britain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JywyBE-cyHg

None of these voices are real. As I have pointed out over the past weeks, we are already in a world where recorded verbal evidence is not sufficient.
  • Options

Jezza cult in action....

Too many people invested in resurrecting/constructing bogeyman Jezza, including quite a few in Lab. It is laughably weak though.
    It is the Corbynites who faked that audio of Starmer, however

The audio has now beem exposed as almost-certainly fake, and comes from a dude who has a history of Starmer-related fakery. And he's a Corbynite

So the Jezzbollah himself may have waned in salience, but his apostles still stalk the money changers of New New Labour
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,093
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

First like Starmer.

That's Sir effin' n jeffin' Starmer to you.
    Fake news.
    Has this been proved?

I've not seen conclusive evidence that the audio is fake. I have seen "important people" TELL us it is fake, I've also seen unknown randoms on Twitter - who claim to be audio experts - say it is real

Which to believe? Neither?

This really does encapsulate our contemporary problem. AI Fakery colliding with politics. Maybe we will never know if Sir Kir Royale Starmer says "fuck sake you fucking moron fuck off to fucksitan with a fuck-bucket of fucks" ALL THE TIME

Personally, I'd quite like to know. And conclusive proof, either way, would be welcome

That's part of the problem here. Does anyone believe in the coming years of AI generated fakery that releasing concrete proof (whatever thay might be) would convince enough people who want to believe it?

Show some technical analysis that show's the thing is generated, or both instances of "F*ck's sake" are identical in every way in a manner human beings just cannot manage, and someone will still say, "Well, can we be sure though?".
    Somewhat related - there was a recent paper where some researchers had been looking at all the proposed 'AI Watermarking' systems from the like of Meta, Microsoft, Google etc. And of course managed to break them all.

But then also reversed things and managed to add 'AI Watermarks' to content that had been hand-created by humans which caused it to be flagged by the likes of Instagram.

So... it's all looking absolutely fine.
  • Options

Jezza cult in action....

That is what I said....I deliberately included the passage about it not being official Labour...its a section of the Jezza cult, not Labour Party under Starmer.
    It wasn't a section of the Labour Party under Corbyn, either.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jezza cult in action....

The audio has now beem exposed as almost-certainly fake, and comes from a dude who has a history of Starmer-related fakery. And he's a Corbynite

So the Jezzbollah himself may have waned in salience, but his apostles still stalk the money changers of New New Labour
    Er... racist post surely. Mods?
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Jezza cult in action....

It wasn't a section of the Labour Party under Corbyn, either.
    I didn't say it was...I said it was part of the Corbyn Cult.
  • Options

https://deltapoll.co.uk/polls/mail-on-sunday231008
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,991

DavidL - Perhaps you missed my comment yesterday about one possible reason for the Israeli intelligence failure: Edward Snowden.

Edward Jay Epstein concludes that Snowden revealed terrorist fighting programs that the US used, and shared with our allies. And, that Snowden revealed British and Israeli secrets, as well as ours. (I assume everyone understands that these revelations probably went from Russia to Iran, and from there to Hamas, and other terrorist organizations.)

If true, that doesn't absolve Netanyahu's government of responsibility; they should have restored more of their intelligence capabilities, by now.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/547346/how-america-lost-its-secrets-by-edward-jay-epstein/

I read that but didn't really follow it. Snowden was arrested 10 years ago in 2013 and much of his damage would have been earlier. No doubt his disclosure of techniques resulted in much better internet security by terrorists and possibly the loss of some sources but a decade is forever in that technology.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,642
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

TimS said:

A lot of knock on effects of the attacks on Israel to come in the next few weeks and months.

Firstly, looks like Ukraine is shafted. GOP reps already looking to make any spending commitments prioritise Israel at the expense of Ukraine. Russia is making sure its propagandists are amplifying this - it’s the let’s cancel x and use the money to fund y tactic for the US right.

Second, probably another refugee crisis for Europe to brace for, especially if Egypt is unwelcoming to Gaza Palestinians. And it’ll be politically toxic in Europe given the terrorist origins of what’s about to happen.

Finally, the usual oil price response, just in time for Boreal winter. Depends how wide any conflict spreads.

US support for Ukraine has been waning and has become a completely partisan issue, already suffering, and now there is a massive distraction event and situation much closer to many of their hearts.

Putin will have been dreaming for a scenario like this. The worst people always find a way to prosper.
    It's dead easy for the administration to link Ukraine and this attack in Israel as both being aided by Iran. Then you say funding Israel and Ukraine is part of fighting a common enemy. It also happens to be broadly true.
    Wouldn’t want to be working in that Iranian factory that makes the Shahed drones at the moment. Several countries will be eyeing that place up as a target.
    They can eye it up all they like but its 200km inland from the Gulf at Isfahan so there's only one country that has the capability to flatten it. I don't think JRB wants a war with Iran in an election year.
    I saw Top Gun: Maverick, in and out no problem, no fuss.
    The way these cinema scenes imprint themselves on our consciousness. It was exactly the mental picture I got when I read the original post.

And of course that scene was itself a direct copy from Star Wars and the destruction of the Death Star, virtually shot by shot.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,316

Leon said:

Jezza cult in action....

How on earth do you work that out ?
  • Options

Leon said:

Jezza cult in action....

You what?

I am saying Jezbollah is the Jezziah to his disciples, which is what he is. Give it a rest
  • Options
    Anyway... the world is going to hell in a hand-cart but (or maybe and) it's 23.4°C here in Dorset and we're about to enjoy drinks on the terrace with neighbours. In October.

Amazing weather.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Jezza cult in action....

You what?

I am saying Jezbollah is the Jezziah to his disciples, which is what he is. Give it a rest
    Who are the money-changers of New New Labour?
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

Jezza cult in action....

You think we can't spot who Leon's referring to with 'the money changers of New New Labour'?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,409
    kle4 said:

As Stuartinromford notes there are at a practical level only a few types of basic campaign pitch available to any government or opposition. I'd suggest in fact only two, not three ("Time for a change" and "Don't risk it", with the latter just modulated depending on if there is something positive to say at all).

The problem is I think after a certain number of years you actually get reduced even further to only one, "Don't risk it". "Time for a change" might work on a specific policy issue, like settling the Brexit question where frankly the whole situation was a confused mess, but outside very broad matters like that to use it means you agree things are going badly, and thus admitting you've done a bad job, even if you try to blame others, since you cannot credibly claim you needed more time to change the things left over from the last lot.

So the choice of that as a direction is very telling, since it means the government believes it cannot defend its record, and that it is preferable to disassociate from its own past actions, despite that being on paper a much trickier thing to argue.

The thing is there no coherent story to the Tories time in government for the past thirteen years. It's why it's so hard for them to defend their record, even though the economy is arguably in a much better state than in 1992 (employment is higher, fewer repossessions, but inflation has taken a high toll on real wages).

In 1992 they could tell a story about turning the country around after the last Labour government, but there's been so much disorder in government since 2016 that they can't put such a story together. Five Prime Ministers in the last seven and a half years is chaotic and disjointed.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,316

Leon said:

Jezza cult in action....

Casual Jewish stereotyping
    I'll take it youve started the drinks early
  • Options
    viewcode said:

This is a video with a voiceover generated by elevenlabs.io . It is based on the voice of the actor Michael Ironside. it sounds exactly like him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0kbNDaenjk

This is a video with fake voiceover of Bill Clinton, Dick Cheney, Tony Blair and John Howard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-6Niw_ZTJo

This is a video with fake voiceover of Field Marshal Montgomery surrendering to the Germans following the invasion of Britain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JywyBE-cyHg

None of these voices are real. As I have pointed out over the past weeks, we are already in a world where recorded verbal evidence is not sufficient.

Montgomery seems to have flashes of an American accent. Did he actually sound like that - some artefact of his Irish heritage perhaps - or was the AI just a bit crap?
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

Leon said:

Jezza cult in action....

You what?

The people who got their tables overturned by the Jezziah, sorry Messiah

If you are somehow trying to construe my remark as anti-Semitic (I mean, groan) then it is also Islamophhobic, because I said Jezbollah, and probably anti-Scottish, in a way no one has quite discerned yet but they surely will

Alternatively, you are talking shite. Go outside and have a drink
  • Options

Thanks. Incredibly Tories still ahead with Baby-boomers. I cringe in embarrassment at the stupidity of my generation.
  • Options

Thanks. Incredibly Tories still ahead with Baby-boomers. I cringe in embarrassment at the stupidity of my generation.
    They've made you even richer.

Lavishing spending on oldies is the great achievement of the last 13 years.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Inadvertent shades of Chris Morris, here

"BREAKING!
    It’s officially WAR!

Israel declares war for the first time since 1973.
    The National Security Council approved a state of war in accordance with Article 40 of the Basic Government Law."

https://x.com/AshleaSimonBF/status/1711004556023288107?s=20

No shit!
  • Options

At least Simon Clarke has called out the video of Starmer as fake and to ignore it
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Jezza cult in action....

You what?

The people who got their tables overturned by the Jezziah, sorry Messiah

If you are somehow trying to construe my remark as anti-Semitic (I mean, groan) then it is also Islamophhobic, because I said Jezbollah, and probably anti-Scottish, in a way no one has quite discerned yet but they surely will

Alternatively, you ae talking shite. Go outside and have a drink
    Kind of like how the Hamas outrages will somehow be caused by an unholy alliance of Corbyn’s allotment, Humza’s tweets and the vegan menu in the LSE canteen.
  • Options
  • Options

Jezza cult in action....

It's because of Jezza that we got so few seats in 2019.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Yep, but quite a few of us on here know what a bad thing that is for the country and for the future.
  • Options

kle4 said:

As Stuartinromford notes there are at a practical level only a few types of basic campaign pitch available to any government or opposition. I'd suggest in fact only two, not three ("Time for a change" and "Don't risk it", with the latter just modulated depending on if there is something positive to say at all).

The problem is I think after a certain number of years you actually get reduced even further to only one, "Don't risk it". "Time for a change" might work on a specific policy issue, like settling the Brexit question where frankly the whole situation was a confused mess, but outside very broad matters like that to use it means you agree things are going badly, and thus admitting you've done a bad job, even if you try to blame others, since you cannot credibly claim you needed more time to change the things left over from the last lot.

So the choice of that as a direction is very telling, since it means the government believes it cannot defend its record, and that it is preferable to disassociate from its own past actions, despite that being on paper a much trickier thing to argue.

The thing is there no coherent story to the Tories time in government for the past thirteen years. It's why it's so hard for them to defend their record, even though the economy is arguably in a much better state than in 1992 (employment is higher, fewer repossessions, but inflation has taken a high toll on real wages).

In 1992 they could tell a story about turning the country around after the last Labour government, but there's been so much disorder in government since 2016 that they can't put such a story together. Five Prime Ministers in the last seven and a half years is chaotic and disjointed.
    Making oldies richer
    Pouring money into the NHS
    Full employment for northerners

A problem being that many Conservatives don't approve of the last two items.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Am I the only one thinking that if Effingate had been real it would have added a bit of colour to Starmer's image?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,595
    viewcode said:

The state-of-the-art for voice synthesis is completely indistinguishable from real people. It's far beyond what people are used to from the Google Assistant, Siri, or Alexa. You can A/B test it and people can no longer figure out what is a recording and what is 100% synthetic. It doesn't seem to have moved out of the labs yet, probably it's a bit too computationally expensive for client devices right now.

When you combine the best synthesis (so it sounds real, not human-like but indistinguishable from a real person) with voice cloning (so it sounds like a particular person) and sophisticated language models (so it speaks like a real person and makes sense) we will soon be in a place where unless you can see someone you can no longer be confident that you are talking to a real person.
  • Options

Yep, but quite a few of us on here know what a bad thing that is for the country and for the future.
    Seems Sunak, Starmer and Davey don't as they all support the triple lock
  • Options

Am I the only one thinking that if Effingate had been real it would have added a bit of colour to Starmer's image?

Fuck's sake! :lol:
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    This is very much like the ISIS style propaganda we used to see....

Hamas releases video showing the suicide drones they used yesterday in their surprise attack against Israel

https://x.com/visegrad24/status/1711019133729472865?s=20

Just to be clear there are no actual people shown been killed, so I am not posting the "torture pron" stuff.

I wonder where they filmed / tested these? Surely the Israelis can't have missed this in their backyard.
  • Options

True indeed. They are all scared of repeating May's Dementia Tax campaign meltdown.
  • Options

Hamas releases video showing the suicide drones they used yesterday in their surprise attack against Israel

That might be a question for the analysts. Even some of the outrages seem more like ISIL than Hamas.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,217

That really doesn't pass the sniff test, though.
    No doubt Snowden did some serious damage to US intelligence, but it's not really plausible that it has a significant effect on present day Israeli surveillance of their neighbour.
  • Options
    glw said:

viewcode said:

The state-of-the-art for voice synthesis is completely indistinguishable from real people. It's far beyond what people are used to from the Google Assistant, Siri, or Alexa. You can A/B test it and people can no longer figure out what is a recording and what is 100% synthetic. It doesn't seem to have moved out of the labs yet, probably it's a bit too computationally expensive for client devices right now.

When you combine the best synthesis (so it sounds real, not human-like but indistinguishable from a real person) with voice cloning (so it sounds like a particular person) and sophisticated language models (so it speaks like a real person and makes sense) we will soon be in a place where unless you can see someone you can no longer be confident that you are talking to a real person.
    Then add it to Zuckerbeg's latest iteration of the Metaverse, where he can project a 3D version of someone far away (or dead, or never existed) into your room, and it will appear as if they are really there, in front of you, with all their tics and wrinkes and laughter lines, and..... wow

On that note, I must to the shops. The lovely sunshine demands a delicate fish dinner, in its honour
  • Options
    edited October 2023

That might be a question for the analysts. Even some of the outrages seem more like ISIL than Hamas.
    It doesn't seem to me beyond possibility that those involved in ISIS have found other homes for their militant Islamism.
  • Options
    Thoughts and prayers for those people who work in banking and financial services regulation and compliance.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,210

True indeed. They are all scared of repeating May's Dementia Tax campaign meltdown.
    Thanks to Labour for poisoning the well on that particular issue. Although it was touching how concerned they were for the well off.
  • Options
    DavidL - According to Epstein, several anti-terrorist programs had worked for years, until Snowden's revelations. I don't see any technical reason they couldn't have continued to work. (NSA had even managed, to some extent, to penetrate Communist China, which has far greater cyber abilities than Hamas.)

And we know that his revelations also included the names of some of our agents in hsotile nations.

But, get a copy of the book and read chapter 29, 'The "War on Terror" After Snowden', so you can decide for yourself.

(Reminder: I'll repeat what I said before: I am arguing that Snowden's revelations are one possible reason for the Israeli intelligence failure. And I understand why that possible explanation may be awkward for readers of the Guardian.)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,301

Also Labour seem to have changed their mind on migration.

"Net migration is too high, says Yvette Cooper"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/06/labour-yvette-cooper-migration-reduce-work-visas/
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,311
    glw said:

viewcode said:

Indeed. In the depths of their depression, a hypothetical person who isn't me used elevenlabs to get a girl who broke up with him earlier this year to talk to them. The results, so my friend says, were quite indistinguishable from the real thing, and considerably cheaper than the 0909 numbers.

Combine that with a text-to-speech LoRA of the x thousand or so text messages my friend has from his ex, and you have a very creepy replica. (*Luckily, my friend did not go this far, but it's hypothetically possible)

Real voice synthesis is here, and you only need about 60 seconds of decent quality audio to replicate... everything. Elevenlabs was the first, but much like dall-e existed for about 5 minutes as a paid product before the open source stable diffusion ate its lunch, if you want to create anyone's voice, you can do it in about 15 minutes from watching the tutorial to installing the package to exporting the audio file.

You also need about 100k of someone's words to create a convincing duplicate of them in a LoRA. 1m words is much, much better, but 100k is close enough for casual fidelity. Most PB'ers have probably contributed more than 1m words to this site, so easy to replicate.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,954
    RobD said:

Thanks to Labour for poisoning the well on that particular issue. Although it was touching how concerned they were for the well off.
    Wasn't that the Tories themselves? Certainly at least one notable PBTory was very against it, certainly in retrospect.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,887

Anyway... the world is going to hell in a hand-cart but (or maybe and) it's 23.4°C here in Dorset and we're about to enjoy drinks on the terrace with neighbours. In October.

Amazing weather.

T shirt and shorts in East Leics and getting overheated doing some tidying in the garden. It isn't right for this time of year.

Climate change isn't all bad, but it doesn't make up for a rotten wet August.
  • Options
    DavidL - Minor correction: Snowden was never arrested, because he fled to Russia in 2014.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,934

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

The problem with 'Long Term Decisions for a Brighter Future', apart from its prolix turgidity, is that it's the exact opposite of what he's actually doing.

Doing the opposite of what you say is a common enough problem that I'd suggest the poorness of the slogan may in fact be more notable.
    Who can forget "You can only be sure with the Conservatives"?

Sure that you'll get shafted. Sure that you'll get lied to. Sure that they'll line their mates' pockets.
    Strong and stable, is a more recent equally egregious example
  • Options
    edited October 2023

It doesn't seem to me beyond possibility that those involved in ISIS have found other homes for their militant Islamism.
    I think you underestimate the factionalism of radicals. They hate each other more than they hate the infidels.

Note least that because Hamas are linked to Iran rather than Wahabbism.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,332
    I'm sitting outside, in shorts and a shirt, eating lunch, a third of the way through October, for the second year in a row. Madness.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I think you underestimate the factionalism of radicals. They hate each other more than they hate the infidels.
    Monty Python: 'Splitter!'
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Also Labour seem to have changed their mind on migration.

"Net migration is too high, says Yvette Cooper"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/06/labour-yvette-cooper-migration-reduce-work-visas/
    A million people migrated here in the last two years under the Conservatives, so not an unreasonable statement. Of whom less than 10% arrived via small boats etc.
  • Options

DavidL - According to Epstein, several anti-terrorist programs had worked for years, until Snowden's revelations. I don't see any technical reason they couldn't have continued to work. (NSA had even managed, to some extent, to penetrate Communist China, which has far greater cyber abilities than Hamas.)

And we know that his revelations also included the names of some of our agents in hsotile nations.

But, get a copy of the book and read chapter 29, 'The "War on Terror" After Snowden', so you can decide for yourself.

(Reminder: I'll repeat what I said before: I am arguing that Snowden's revelations are one possible reason for the Israeli intelligence failure. And I understand why that possible explanation may be awkward for readers of the Guardian.)

This article is on point.

Operation al-Aqasa Storm is Israel's Intelligence Failure
    https://malcolmnance.substack.com/p/flash-traffic-operation-al-qasa-storm

You are assuming that without Snowden, Hamas would have learned nothing about operational security in the last decade.
  • Options
    Hamas has some very strange bedfellows.

I know it’s cliche to say “I did not have this on my bingo card” now but…I did not have “Andrew Tate sides with Hamas because he’s anti-vaxx” on my bingo card
    https://twitter.com/ArmandDoma/status/1710900729794174983
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,358
    edited October 2023
    ydoethur said:

I'm sitting outside, in shorts and a shirt, eating lunch, a third of the way through October, for the second year in a row. Madness.

Certainly is madness - why are you eating lunch at teatime?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

You're right.
    Lunch at 4.15 ??
  • Options
    It is a little dismaying how often commenters here ignore qualifiers, if they find the general argument in a comment distasteful. This happens even when the qualifier is repeated.

Example: "possible".
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

You're right.
    Lunch at 4.15 ??
    Been a busy day, no time to cook until now (@kle4 that's a reply to you as well, in case you think I'm being rude and ignoring you).
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Jezza cult in action....

So you're in favour of free speech when you agree with it.

Noted with thanks.
    It’s amazing how often you see people say or post things along the lines of “you can’t disagree with that, it’s just free speech”

The point being, of course, that free speech embraces the right to disagree with stuff.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,944
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

You're right.
    Lunch at 4.15 ??
    Lunch should be taken at 1pm, and tea at 3:40pm.
    That only applies if there are ladies present. In their absence a good lunch can last well into the next day.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

You're right.
    Lunch at 4.15 ??
    That only applies if there are ladies present. In their absence a good lunch can last well into the next day.
    Indeed.

*burps*

My Lord, the port is with you.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

You're right.
    Lunch at 4.15 ??
    Oh indeed. If you’re simply watching, rather than participating in the test match, then lunch starts at midday and finishes whenever you stagger out of the place looking for a taxi.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

You're right.
    Lunch at 4.15 ??
    Surely even if it's raining, close of play will intervene.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

You're right.
    Lunch at 4.15 ??
    Indeed.

*burps*

Unfortunately, the Lord is sitting on your left, and it’s a very big table.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,905
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

You're right.
    Lunch at 4.15 ??
    Lunch can be taken earlier if there's no prospect of play before 1.40, though.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I know it’s cliche to say “I did not have this on my bingo card” now but…I did not have “Andrew Tate sides with Hamas because he’s anti-vaxx” on my bingo card

My flint agent has teenage sons who love Andrew Tate (to her despair). He’s been pro Islamist for while, or so she tells me. They are proper god fearing family men and so on
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,944
    Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

You're right.
    Lunch at 4.15 ??
    Surely even if it's raining, close of play will intervene.
    Lunch is far too important for anything other than the next lunch to intervene. By definition a lunch can't go much beyond 24 hours, as nobody worth mentioning doesn't have a lunch the next day. And you can't cancel a lunch appointment - ever!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,210
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Wasn't that the Tories themselves? Certainly at least one notable PBTory was very against it, certainly in retrospect.
    Not surprising that some tories wanted to protect million-pound inheritances.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

You're right.
    Lunch at 4.15 ??
    Indeed.

*burps*

I once co-hosted a party which somehow lasted three days. People woke up on the first morning-after-the-spectacular-night-before, variously scattered around our building in Red Lion Square, and in the gardens of the Square itself. We found people sleeping in the stairwell, in cupboards, etc. Then they immediately started partying again, and so it went on, marvellously

Ah, sweet dreams of youth...

• Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

My flint agent has teenage sons who love Andrew Tate (to her despair). He’s been pro Islamist for while, or so she tells me. They are proper god fearing family men and so on
    Tate is a grifter and always has been, I've a friend in common with him from before he got famous, back when he was just pushing $1200 "courses" that were essentially 30 min youtube clips. I have stories that are off the record and unpublishable, though actually a lot of it is public domain, e.g. here https://www.reddit.com/r/gammasecretkings/comments/10499m0/gsk_exclusive_i_screengrabbed_the_deleted_bobby/

Unfortunately he has become emblematic of the pushback against so-called "toxic" masculinity. He's effectively the Che Guevara Poster for disaffected teens to early twenties completely ignored by their female counterparts, due to the globalization of dating practices, documented numerous times (did you know, for example, men outumber women on tinder by 10 to 1? That's not swipe, that's outnumber. Before the swiping).

Men got pushed just so far, got told they were such pieces of shit, that they started rallying around genuinely toxic figures like Tate. I have no time for Tate or his compadres, but for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Tate is the reaction to men being told they're toxic just for being men.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Tate is a grifter and always has been, I've a friend in common with him from before he got famous, back when he was just pushing $1200 "courses" that were essentially 30 min youtube clips. I have stories that are off the record and unpublishable, though actually a lot of it is public domain, e.g. here https://www.reddit.com/r/gammasecretkings/comments/10499m0/gsk_exclusive_i_screengrabbed_the_deleted_bobby/

Unfortunately he has become emblematic of the pushback against so-called "toxic" masculinity. He's effectively the Che Guevara Poster for disaffected teens to early twenties completely ignored by their female counterparts, due to the globalization of dating practices, documented numerous times (did you know, for example, men outumber women on tinder by 10 to 1? That's not swipe, that's outnumber. Before the swiping).

Men got pushed just so far, got told they were such pieces of shit, that they started rallying around genuinely toxic figures like Tate. I have no time for Tate or his compadres, but for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Tate is the reaction to men being told they're toxic just for being men.
    Yes indeed

The lad mags of the 90s were a reaction to the feminism of the 80s, which said: Looking at naked women is evil, liking football is boorish, everything male is dull or sexist, and on and on (and on)

So the lad mags came out and said: Er, actually, we like looking at bare breasts (we're made that way), football is fun, drinking beer with your mates is a laugh, going to dangerous places and shooting things is a blast

Then the lad mags really DID get boorish (at the beginning they were genuinely witty and fresh) and so the pendulum swang again

And now here we are once more. A decade of everyone telling men they are shit and useless and maleness is poison, and we have the inevitable reaction: Andrew Tate

The problem this time is that the pendulum swings are much more vicious and extreme; Loaded magazine was positively benign compared to Tate
  • Options
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Yes indeed

The lad mags of the 90s were a reaction to the feminism of the 80s, which said: Looking at naked women is evil, liking football is boorish, everything male is dull or sexist, and on and on (and on)

So the lad mags came out and said: Er, actually, we like looking at bare breasts (we're made that way), football is fun, drinking beer with your mates is a laugh, going to dangerous places and shooting things is a blast

Then the lad mags really DID get boorish (at the beginning they were genuinely witty and fresh) and so the pendulum swang again

And now here we are once more. A decade of everyone telling men they are shit and useless and maleness is poison, and we have the inevitable reaction: Andrew Tate

The problem this time is that the pendulum swings are much more vicious and extreme; Loaded magazine was positively benign compared to Tate
    Tate is also a Muslim, and that fits with his attitude to Woke things like Feminism etc.
  • Options
    Aaaaaaaand.... now the inevitable beheading videos, live, on air

I shall not link

I wonder if @FrancisUrquhart is right and some ISIS members have drifted back to Hamas, or whether Hamas see ISIS as an inspiration

This whole appalling episode feels like a catastrophe for the Palestinian cause, even in the midst of a military "victory"
  • Options
    Sunak doesn't need a better strategy.

The country needs a better Prime Minister.

The Tories need a better leader.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,536
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

TimS said:

A lot of knock on effects of the attacks on Israel to come in the next few weeks and months.

Firstly, looks like Ukraine is shafted. GOP reps already looking to make any spending commitments prioritise Israel at the expense of Ukraine. Russia is making sure its propagandists are amplifying this - it’s the let’s cancel x and use the money to fund y tactic for the US right.

Second, probably another refugee crisis for Europe to brace for, especially if Egypt is unwelcoming to Gaza Palestinians. And it’ll be politically toxic in Europe given the terrorist origins of what’s about to happen.

Finally, the usual oil price response, just in time for Boreal winter. Depends how wide any conflict spreads.

US support for Ukraine has been waning and has become a completely partisan issue, already suffering, and now there is a massive distraction event and situation much closer to many of their hearts.

Putin will have been dreaming for a scenario like this. The worst people always find a way to prosper.
    It's dead easy for the administration to link Ukraine and this attack in Israel as both being aided by Iran. Then you say funding Israel and Ukraine is part of fighting a common enemy. It also happens to be broadly true.
    Wouldn’t want to be working in that Iranian factory that makes the Shahed drones at the moment. Several countries will be eyeing that place up as a target.
    They can eye it up all they like but its 200km inland from the Gulf at Isfahan so there's only one country that has the capability to flatten it. I don't think JRB wants a war with Iran in an election year.
    You saying Israel doesn't have the capability? I think Israeli capabilities are going to see many exceeded stretch goals in coming weeks.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Aaaaaaaand.... now the inevitable beheading videos, live, on air

I shall not link

I wonder if @FrancisUrquhart is right and some ISIS members have drifted back to Hamas, or whether Hamas see ISIS as an inspiration

This whole appalling episode feels like a catastrophe for the Palestinian cause, even in the midst of a military "victory"

Its as smart a strategic move as Operation Barbarossa, or the attack on Pearl Harbor.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Yes indeed

Indeed. Don't know if I've mentioned it before but I have a collection of FHMs from the mid 90s to the early 2000s (acquired through ebay, not from my teens). You can see the editorial line go from fun, ironic, nudge nudge wink wink, to full on, get yer tits out for the lads by the end. And yet you can look at all that stuff now and go, well, it's positively nothing next to the likes of Tate.

If you can still find it, I'd recommend trying to find his "PHD" aka "Pimpin' hoes degree" he released before he got famous, in which he lays out *exactly* what he is. A small time grifter with a low budget camera. He presents a very polished image on social media today, but I think even the dumbest 16 year old would see him for the grifter he is. That is what I would show to your publisher's kids.

One thing I will say in his favour though, his chess.com rating back in the days when we had mutual friends was 1600 (about 200 more than mine) and into "properly good territory" so he's not as dumb as he looks. I've worked my ass off for years and never got that high on a 10 min game, let alone a 5 min game.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

TimS said:

You saying Israel doesn't have the capability? I think Israeli capabilities are going to see many exceeded stretch goals in coming weeks.
    Israeli capability is going to start to look a lot like Ukranian capability, in very short order.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,668
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Yes indeed

Or alternatively: Tate offers an 'easy' answer to the concerns of idiots. Being nice to women and others is actually quite hard, especially if you are a shit. Working hard at school and getting a better job is hard.

Easier just to take what you want.

Charlatans have sold easy answers since time immemorial. Tate is just continuing in the same manner (or, lack of manners...)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,069

Yes. Just very difficult to see who.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

I hope nobody shows the DfE that link or they'll make him head of OFSTED.

(Well, ok, their appointment of a man who exploited 16 year old girls was some years ago, but OFSTED has never quite recovered from the scandal.)
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

TimS said:

Yes, I am somewhat mystified by this remark

Israel has a defence budget five times larger than Iran's, specifically it has a superior air force, with more and better aircraft (and of course in any strike it will be greatly aided, either openly or covertly, by the USA - and possibly other countries that loathe Iran like Saudi or the UAE)

https://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-comparison-detail.php?Submit=COMPARE&country1=iran&country2=israel&form=form

I am fairly sure Israel could, in these circumstances, hit Iran where it hurts. The only doubt might be Iran having nukes and the ability to use them, but this is highly unlikely, at the moment
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,044
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Certainly is madness - why are you eating lunch at teatime?
    It’s just gone noon, half past monsoon
  • Options

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Yes indeed

Or alternatively: Tate offers an 'easy' answer to the concerns of idiots. Being nice to women and others is actually quite hard, especially if you are a shit. Working hard at school and getting a better job is hard.

Easier just to take what you want.

Charlatans have sold easy answers since time immemorial. Tate is just continuing in the same manner (or, lack of manners...)
    Tate is actually a response to what we know is going on with dating at the moment, which we can verify through dating app data, i.e. about 1 in 10 men get picked to be in a relationship. Most teens to early twenties are "incels" now.

His advice, fundamentally, boils down, to being "you need to be a top 1% male and even if you don't make it, if you follow my advice, you'll be top 10%". Go gym, take roids, make money, spend money, look flash. This, apparently (and I do remember from my own younger days) attracts girls.

It's pretty weak sauce stuff, but if I was a 23 year old who'd never had a cloth tit, I'd probably be listening to him too.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,251
    edited October 2023

True, but...

If we accept that Sunak is a dud, that's four Conservative Prime Ministers in a row who have rapidly failed. (Five if you count single party majority Dave as different to Coalition Dave.) And arguably, in ways that ought to have been obvious with even moderate foresight.

At some point, you have to pause with fishing dead bodies out of the river and go upstream. What is it about today's Conservative Party that means that they keep selecting leaders who aren't up to the job? Is it their selection process, or is it that the Conservatives are trying to do something that can't really be done?
  • Options
    Leicester City now top of both WSL and the Championship. What a turnaround.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,517
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

TimS said:

Yes, I am somewhat mystified by this remark

Israel has a defence budget five times larger than Iran's, specifically it has a superior air force, with more and better aircraft (and of course in any strike it will be greatly aided, either openly or covertly, by the USA - and possibly other countries that loathe Iran like Saudi or the UAE)

https://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-comparison-detail.php?Submit=COMPARE&country1=iran&country2=israel&form=form

I am fairly sure Israel could, in these circumstances, hit Iran where it hurts. The only doubt might be Iran having nukes and the ability to use them, but this is highly unlikely, at the moment
    Your forgetting that Iranian missile/drone technology is pretty advanced . They've ballistic missiles so any Israeli strike could invite retaliation. Do the IDF really want a hot war with Iran?
  • Options

True, but...

If we accept that Sunak is a dud, that's four Conservative Prime Ministers in a row who have rapidly failed. (Five if you count single party majority Dave as different to Coalition Dave.) And arguably, in ways that ought to have been obvious with even moderate foresight.

At some point, you have to pause with fishing dead bodies out of the river and go upstream. What is it about today's Conservative Party that means that they keep selecting leaders who aren't up to the job? Is it their selection process, or is it that the Conservatives are trying to do something that can't really be done?
    That's up to the electorate when they go to vote at the next election.

In the mean time are we just supposed to keep a dead body in situ?
This discussion has been closed.