Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The city of Gaza was where I first met my wife – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,726
edited October 2023 in General
imageThe city of Gaza was where I first met my wife – politicalbetting.com

With Israel and Gaza totally dominating the news agenda it prompts my own personal memories of the area particularly because it was in Gaza City that I first met my wife, Jacky.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,223
    This is a sweet story, Mike. I'm glad something good came out of this horrible, intractable conflict.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,228
    A lovely story Mike. Hope you are well.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    Touching
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,904
    Observer/Survation/38degrees MRP klaxon:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/07/poll-predicts-landslide-labour-election-victory-with-12-cabinet-ministers-losing-their-seats

"Labour would win 420 seats – equating to a landslide 190-seat majority. The Tories would take just 149 seats and the Lib Dems 23.

"Deputy prime minister Oliver Dowden, defence secretary Grant Shapps and leadership contender Penny Mordaunt are among those facing for defeat."
  • Options
    The videos are appalling, and they keep coming

The pressure on Netanyahu from his hard right, to do something TERMINAL, will be intense. Can Israel allow Gaza to survive if iGazan militants can simply wander over the frontier and slaughter Israelis in their beds, or kidnap women and children to be tortured in Gaza?

No, it can't. And, in fact, I am not sure any country could tolerate this. Plus, Netanyahu has been deeply humiiated by this dreadful intel failure. No way this is a false flag, it's a disaster for the Israeli military

We must brace for something pretty apocalyptic in response
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    FPT MexicanPete: "suspect tidal power is too "woke" for the current iteration of your party."

Actually, it is one thing they get enthusiastic about - can't understand why we haven't been doing it for decades.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,540
    Nice story Mike of a different time. If any of my kids had wanted to go to Gaza as students I think I would have had heart failure. Of course, they didn't. Several parts of the world are now just too dangerous, even for adventurous types. The available world is getting smaller.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nice story Mike of a different time. If any of my kids had wanted to go to Gaza as students I think I would have had heart failure. Of course, they didn't. Several parts of the world are now just too dangerous, even for adventurous types. The available world is getting smaller.

I've traveled quite extensively in the West Bank. I doubt I could do that now
  • Options
    Sky News coverage is weirdly sanitised. I am not suggesting they should be showing graphic murders (apparently there are loads of internet videos), but it doesn't give any real picture of the situation. It looks like some blokes on motorbikes just rode across the border and took selfies, and that was about it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,594
    Lovely story Mike.

And a fantastic example of synchronicity.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Sky News coverage is weirdly sanitised. I am not suggesting they should be showing graphic murders (apparently there are loads of internet videos), but it doesn't give any real picture of the situation. It looks like some blokes on motorbikes just rode across the border and took selfies, and that was about it.

Yes, it's pathetic. It's a war, people are dying, you don't make it "better" by not showing any of it. Besides, it is all online

Show it, but give a serious warning beforehand, allowing people to look away/switch off

Also, if you don't see the videos, you will not understand why the Israeli response is so ferocious (and it will be ferocious). The video of the Hamas militants parading the half naked, mutilated body of the female Israeli soldier, as they shout and cheer "Allahu Akhbar" is particularly intense

Who shouts "God is great" over the sexually desecrated body of a tortured woman? That is a level of depravity it is hard to comprehend
  • Options
    Leon said:

The videos are appalling, and they keep coming

The pressure on Netanyahu from his hard right, to do something TERMINAL, will be intense. Can Israel allow Gaza to survive if iGazan militants can simply wander over the frontier and slaughter Israelis in their beds, or kidnap women and children to be tortured in Gaza?

No, it can't. And, in fact, I am not sure any country could tolerate this. Plus, Netanyahu has been deeply humiiated by this dreadful intel failure. No way this is a false flag, it's a disaster for the Israeli military

We must brace for something pretty apocalyptic in response

The absolute last thing the world needs now.
  • Options
    SymeonBrown
    @symeonbrown
    ·
    2h
    This week the PM cancelled the HS2 from London to Manchester that would reduce overcrowding. Today I’m on a train for Manchester with the driver refusing to depart as “it’s unsafe” due to overcapacity. “The trains going nowhere until passengers leave” he says.

https://twitter.com/symeonbrown/status/1710587426681315407
  • Options
    Oz Katerji
    @OzKaterji
    Trying to link Hamas to Russia is a pretty desperate manoeuvre, especially considering how warm relations are between Netanyahu and Putin. Don’t take those takes seriously.
  • Options
    SA surely looking over 400 here. Brutal batting.
  • Options
    Theories on X that Hamas has embedded people in the militant platoons to take these videos and post them online, precisely so as to enrage Israelis and provoke the most brutal response

It may be true. But if it is true, what's the middlegame for Hamas, after Israel goes predictably mad?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

Yes, it's pathetic. It's a war, people are dying, you don't make it "better" by not showing any of it. Besides, it is all online

Show it, but give a serious warning beforehand, allowing people to look away/switch off

Also, if you don't see the videos, you will not understand why the Israeli response is so ferocious (and it will be ferocious). The video of the Hamas militants parading the half naked, mutilated body of the female Israeli soldier, as they shout and cheer "Allahu Akhbar" is particularly intense

Who shouts "God is great" over the sexually desecrated body of a tortured woman? That is a level of depravity it is hard to comprehend
    If they don't want to show murder and torture, even showing the videos of the Israelis fleeing in panic across the sands gives a better "flavour" of the reality. Instead they keep showing some little girl on the shoulders of a bloke, while see waves around a gun in celebration, like its about who won a football match.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,223

SymeonBrown
    @symeonbrown
    ·
    2h
    This week the PM cancelled the HS2 from London to Manchester that would reduce overcrowding. Today I’m on a train for Manchester with the driver refusing to depart as “it’s unsafe” due to overcapacity. “The trains going nowhere until passengers leave” he says.

The Tory Party: why we can't have nice things.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

Theories on X that Hamas has embedded people in the militant platoons to take these videos and post them online, precisely so as to enrage Israelis and provoke the most brutal response

It may be true. But if it is true, what's the middlegame for Hamas, after Israel goes predictably mad?

Having cameramen to film everything is ISIS tactics. Propagandise the fear and the "winning".
  • Options

Leon said:

If they don't want to show murder and torture, even showing the videos of the Israelis fleeing in panic across the sands gives a better "flavour" of the reality. Instead they keep showing some little girl on the shoulders of a bloke, while see waves around a gun in celebration, like its about who won a football match.
    It is pitiful timidity, and it is why people desert broadcast media and turn to the Net/X/Telegram, etc, so it is self-defeating
  • Options
    That's a very sweet and touching story Mike.

Hopefully one day Israel can have the peace and security it so richly deserved and that it's neighbours and other antisemitic bastards have denied it for far too long.
  • Options
    Very happy and uplifting personal history from OGH!
  • Options
    FPT

Carnyx said:

Humans have been eating meat since the dawn of time.

Denialists should be put in the women have penises category.

Ever had a look atg the embryonic development of the hominine genitalia? It might surprise you.

As for 'eating meat since the dawn of time', that's a bit like saying chimps eat meat - but also a great deal of plant material. An omnivore does not an obligate carnivore make.
    Indeed.

Every balanced meal has some meat, some veg etc

Its not purely one of the other.
    Every meal? That's the problem right there.

If you put meat in every meal (or even every day), it adds up to more meat than humans have mostly eaten through history.

Not every meal, every balanced meal. Some times for breakfast I'll have just a quick bowl of cereal rather than a more balanced meal with eg eggs and bacon. Just a bowl of cereal and milk is not a balanced meal, I know that, but over the course of the day will aim to eat balanced and I will absolutely aim to include to eat meat in my evening meal at the very least.

Why should we as a race not seek to eat more meat than humans have mostly eaten through history? That's part of economic development and productivity to be able to access healthier, balanced diets including some meat, some vegetables etc on a daily basis.

Meat shouldn't just be a preserve for the wealthy, it should be a staple and affordable option for everyone whenever they want it too.

Climate science needs to make this possible while keeping the environment healthy too. Not impoverish people or worsen their diets.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    FPT:

Why does each day seem to bring more and more depressing news

Almost reluctant to put on the news these days and just look to the family and our garden

I think that, in general, it's important to be an informed citizen, and to know about what is going on. But you do sometimes need to take a break from the awfulness of it all.
    24hr news then social media has made it seem the world is a lot worse than ever before, when in reality it isn't, as negative news is what gets clicks.

Steven Pinker's book, Enlightenment Now, was very good on this.
    The big difference is that 30+ years ago when something awful happened in some far away place you might see about 100 words from a foreign correspondent in the inside pages of broadsheet newspaper. "Attack in Peru. Hundreds feared dead." No pictures, no elaboration, and rarely any follow-up.

In 2023 we can see everything happening from anywhere in the world shortly after and sometimes even as it is occurring.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995
    DavidL said:

Though bigger too. Places like Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos were off limits once, as were Algeria, Colombia, even China when I was young. All on the tourist trail now.

I missed out on Kashmir in 1990 when the troubles blew up, and wished that I had got there a year earlier.

What Hamas are up to is barbaric, but the history of mutual atrocity in Israel and Palestine has shown that no atrocity is too brutal. No doubt the Israeli revenge will be taken on women and civilians too.
  • Options

FPT

Carnyx said:

Ever had a look atg the embryonic development of the hominine genitalia? It might surprise you.

As for 'eating meat since the dawn of time', that's a bit like saying chimps eat meat - but also a great deal of plant material. An omnivore does not an obligate carnivore make.
    Indeed.

If you put meat in every meal (or even every day), it adds up to more meat than humans have mostly eaten through history.

Not every meal, every balanced meal. Some times for breakfast I'll have just a quick bowl of cereal rather than a more balanced meal with eg eggs and bacon. Just a bowl of cereal and milk is not a balanced meal, I know that, but over the course of the day will aim to eat balanced and I will absolutely aim to include to eat meat in my evening meal at the very least.

Why should we as a race not seek to eat more meat than humans have mostly eaten through history? That's part of economic development and productivity to be able to access healthier, balanced diets including some meat, some vegetables etc on a daily basis.

Meat shouldn't just be a preserve for the wealthy, it should be a staple and affordable option for everyone whenever they want it too.

Climate science needs to make this possible while keeping the environment healthy too. Not impoverish people or worsen their diets.
    Yes, but eating less meat improves people's diets, particularly if replaced by vegetables. It is not impoverishment or worsening to do so.
  • Options
    "Celebrations erupt among Palestinians and other asylum seekers in Greek refugee camps after Hamas attacked Israel this morning."

https://x.com/MeghUpdates/status/1710625666809651222?s=20

Hmm. Maybe thats a big NO in terms of asylum?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,993
    Beeb :

Islamic Jihad group claims capture of Israeli soldiers

Graeme Baker

Live reporter

Islamic Jihad, which operates in Gaza, claims its fighters have also captured "many" Israeli soldiers. In a post on Telegram, a spokesman calling himself Abu Hamza states:

"We confirm in the al-Quds Brigades that now, thanks to God, we possess many Zionist soldiers who are prisoners in our hands”
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited October 2023
    Foxy said:

FPT

Carnyx said:

Indeed.

Yes, but eating less meat improves people's diets, particularly if replaced by vegetables. It is not impoverishment or worsening to do so.
    Eating less sugary, carb based processed crap and eating more meat improves people's diets too.

Eating vegetables with a side of vegetables or chips with a side of vegetables isn't balanced. Eating meat with a side of vegetables is more balanced.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,097
    edited October 2023

SymeonBrown
    @symeonbrown
    ·
    2h

That’s similar to my train to Bristol this morning - from Sheffield (8:30am) onward it was standing room only

Don’t need to worry on the way back as I’m driving back
  • Options
    Leon said:

Hamas has played a blinder. Netanyahu's reputation as pro-Trump, pro-Putin anti-democratic maniac has been glaringly exposed to the world in recent times. Israel won't get a shred of sympathy. In terms of propaganda, Hamas holds all the cards here.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,175

Observer/Survation/38degrees MRP klaxon:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/07/poll-predicts-landslide-labour-election-victory-with-12-cabinet-ministers-losing-their-seats

"Labour would win 420 seats – equating to a landslide 190-seat majority. The Tories would take just 149 seats and the Lib Dems 23.

"Deputy prime minister Oliver Dowden, defence secretary Grant Shapps and leadership contender Penny Mordaunt are among those facing for defeat."

I am going to hate betting on UKGE24. Either the polls are right (and the odds will be pitiful) or the polls are badly wrong (in which case betting on them is dangerous). Either way, the potential for a decent profit is slim. :(
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    I was out walking listening to the radio at midday waiting for 5Live Sport to begin at midday but they were talking about Israel. And I couldn’t understand why as it didn’t seem like a big deal earlier.

Now I’ve come on here I know exactly why they’re talking about it but they didn’t once explain what was actually happening.
  • Options

Leon said:

Hamas has played a blinder. Netanyahu's reputation as pro-Trump, pro-Putin anti-democratic maniac has been glaringly exposed to the world in recent times. Israel won't get a shred of sympathy. In terms of propaganda, Hamas holds all the cards here.
    Er, OK
  • Options

SymeonBrown
    @symeonbrown
    ·
    2h

So should we build a new road if a bus is full at rush hour ?

The nature of pretty much any organisation is that the level of demand for its output varies.

At times demand might exceed capacity but that doesn't make it worthwhile to increase that capacity permanently at an excessive economic and environmental cost.

Especially when there is an opportunity cost of not spending the required money elsewhere on more important things.
  • Options

Leon said:

You would say that wouldn't you.

Hamas fit squarely in an Iranian/Russian/Hamas axis of evil.

Which unlike Dubyas use of the term the three are all allies that are sending weapons to each other, not arch-enemies like Iran, Iraq.
  • Options
    Might this affect the POTUS elex?

Biden is perceived as elderly and frail and a touch weak on Iran, so it could play against him. But Trump is seen as a mad dog, so the desire for stability might play against HIM

Hard to call
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,161
    "Opinion / Indigenous Affairs

It’s time to end the myth that there could have been a different, better referendum
    Stop pretending there could have been a different, more successful referendum campaign. The racists and opportunists were always lying in wait.

BERNARD KEANE
    OCT 06, 2023"

https://www.crikey.com.au/2023/10/06/indigenous-voice-parliament-referendum-myth-albanese-dutton/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Er, OK
    Why the sarcasm? With Netanyahu as global pariah, do you think this isn't the optimal moment for Hamas to strike?
  • Options

SymeonBrown
    @symeonbrown
    ·
    2h

The nature of pretty much any organisation is that the level of demand for its output varies.

At times demand might exceed capacity but that doesn't make it worthwhile to increase that capacity permanently at an excessive economic and environmental cost.

Especially when there is an opportunity cost of not spending the required money elsewhere on more important things.
    We should build a new road if the road is full at rush hour, yes.

Which can also be a road going to alternative routes so taking traffic away from the overcrowded destinations.

The weird thing with HS2 is it wasn't trying to do that. It was only going to destinations already on the pre existing route, not creating alternative routes to alternative destinations.
  • Options
    Leon said:

"Celebrations erupt among Palestinians and other asylum seekers in Greek refugee camps after Hamas attacked Israel this morning."

https://x.com/MeghUpdates/status/1710625666809651222?s=20

Hmm. Maybe thats a big NO in terms of asylum?

Far more likely that Israeli attacks on Gaza will create a fresh wave of refugees, and the cycle continues.
  • Options

SymeonBrown
    @symeonbrown
    ·
    2h

Which can also be a road going to alternative routes so taking traffic away from the overcrowded destinations.

The weird thing with HS2 is it wasn't trying to do that. It was only going to destinations already on the pre existing route, not creating alternative routes to alternative destinations.
    Building new roads gives the advantage of opening up land for development.

A road between X and Y doesn't just benefit X and Y but allows the building of housing, business parks, industrial estates and leisure facilities all along its route.
  • Options

Leon said:

Hamas has certainly surprised and it is a major intelligence and military failure by the IDF.

There will be plenty of sympathy for Israeli civilians though.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Er, OK
    Why the sarcasm? With Netanyahu as global pariah, do you think this isn't the optimal moment for Hamas to strike?
    There's so much oddness to unpack in your position I don't know where to start

Why is this the optimal moment for Hamas? What's the aim? Whats the middlegame and endgame? When Israel strikes back with Biblical force, how do they gain? i guess they hope Israel goes so far sympathy shifts to Palestine, but that has happened before, with zero impact on the ground

Also this really is not the optimum moment of weakness for Netanyahu. He's a pretty despicable character but he's quite good at realpolitik. He has maintained relations with Putin and normalised relations with the UAE and Saudi. Arguably Israel is stronger than it has been for many years

Indeed, THAT might be the reason Hamas has done this. A last desperate gamble as Israel secures its future? An act of urgent need - not cool cunning
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Er, OK
    Well, not really. How can anyone with any sensibility glory in this brutal slaughter of civilians and others? Hell, I wish Russia nothing but misery in Ukraine but take no pleasure whatsoever from the videos of Russians being killed with superior technology.

Really the sort of comment you might want to reflect on.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,798

SymeonBrown
    @symeonbrown
    ·
    2h

A full bus isn't a full road. Just put an extra bus into the timetable.
  • Options

Leon said:

You would say that wouldn't you.

Hamas fit squarely in an Iranian/Russian/Hamas axis of evil.

Which unlike Dubyas use of the term the three are all allies that are sending weapons to each other, not arch-enemies like Iran, Iraq.
    What brought on this rant? Because I was less than complementary about the reputation of Netanyahu? I'm describing the world as it is, not how you'd like it to be.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Er, OK
    Well, not really. How can anyone with any sensibility glory in this brutal slaughter of civilians and others? Hell, I wish Russia nothing but misery in Ukraine but take no pleasure whatsoever from the videos of Russians being killed with superior technology.

lol. I only said "Er, OK"

Bit harsh
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Markram 102 from only 49 balls! A new record for World Cups and the third century of the innings.
  • Options

SymeonBrown
    @symeonbrown
    ·
    2h

Building new roads gives the advantage of opening up land for development.

A road between X and Y doesn't just benefit X and Y but allows the building of housing, business parks, industrial estates and leisure facilities all along its route.
    Exactly.

Which is why the NIMBY scum combine with the fake environmentalists to object. Because developing land and allowing much needed housing, investment in businesses and industry etc doesn't suit their agenda.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Er, OK

Why is this the optimal moment for Hamas? What's the aim? Whats the middlegame and endgame? When Israel strikes back with Biblical force, how do they gain? i guess they hope Israel goes so far sympathy shifts to Palestine, but that has happened before, with zero impact on the ground

Also this really is not the optimum moment of weakness for Netanyahu. He's a pretty despicable character but he's quite good at realpolitik. He has maintained relations with Putin and normalised relations with the UAE and Saudi. Arguably Israel is stronger than it has been for many years

Indeed, THAT might be the reason Hamas has done this. A last desperate gamble as Israel secures its future? An act of urgent need - not cool cunning
    Biblical force would equate to using nuclear weapons - the Bible having many examples of mass annihilation.

Killing a few thousand in retaliation is merely the usual dreary retaliation.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927
    eek said:

SymeonBrown
    @symeonbrown
    ·
    2h

That’s similar to my train to Bristol this morning - from Sheffield (8:30am) onward it was standing room only

Don’t need to worry on the way back as I’m driving back
    This is the reality of weekend travel. People want to travel but the trains are often shorter than the weekday capacity and surprisingly they quickly get overcrowded. East MIdlands Railways put a 5-coach train on the route to Leicester and Sheffield and it was rammed - a 10-coach train would have been busy but would have had the capacity - dreadful short-sighted thinking from the train operators.
  • Options
    An Israeli military opinion

"Israel will likely aim to destroy Hamas completely following today's massacres & mass kidnappings of Israelis. Palestinian affairs expert
    @issacharoff
    makes the point: Assault on Israel succeeded far beyond what Hamas hoped, and this will now backfire."

https://x.com/IsraelRadar_com/status/1710600248706396396?s=20

Probably some embarrassed bluster in there. The Israeli intel and military have been surprised and humiliated, this is a pretty calamitous failure

However the diagnosis might be right - Israel will now seek to eliminate Hamas once and forever, whatever it takes
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Er, OK

I think you may have clicked reply on the wrong post, it was Stark that posted the disgraceful message that Hamas in assaulting innocent civilians had "played a blinder here" and "hold all the cards".

Simply responding with "Er, ok" to that showed uncharacteristic restraint from Leon. 👍
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Er, OK

Bit harsh
    I didn't mean your comment, I meant the one you had responded to. Sorry, should have made that clearer.
  • Options
    THIS is quite something

Highly impressive social media from Hamas. Slick, clever, scary (there is no gore but there is the sound of gunfire at the end)

"Hamas Al-Qassam Brigades has released a video showing its fighters paragliding from Gaza over Israeli settlements.
    #Hamas #TelAviv #AlAqsaFlood #Jerusalem #GazaUnderAttack #Gaza #حماس #طوفان_القدس #طوفان_الأقصى #اسرائیل #فلسطين"

https://x.com/Ali707khan/status/1710631741344625109?s=20

it reminds me of ISIS at their "best" (can't think of a better word)

How does Israel permanently end a threat like this? The Palestinian/Israeli struggle is entering an entirely new stage
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Er, OK

Bit harsh
    You:
    Er, OK

DavidL:
    Your statement which clearly about the depravity of Modern Art needs some desconstruction.

Modern art is a vast and diverse realm that has elicited a wide range of reactions from the public, including admiration, confusion, and, in some cases, disdain. While many appreciate the innovation and creativity displayed in modern art, some critics argue that it has descended into depravity, straying too far from traditional artistic values. This essay will explore the concept of the "depravity" of modern art and provide a balanced perspective on this contentious issue.

Modern art encompasses a vast array of artistic movements and styles that emerged in the late 19th and 20th centuries. From Impressionism and Cubism to Abstract Expressionism and Pop Art, modern art has continuously evolved, challenging conventional notions of representation and aesthetics. This evolution has, at times, led to radical departures from traditional art forms, causing discomfort among some observers.

The term "depravity" is inherently subjective and value-laden. What one person perceives as depraved, another might consider groundbreaking and thought-provoking. Art, by its nature, encourages diversity of interpretation, and what one sees as a descent into depravity, another sees as a celebration of human expression and freedom.

One of the hallmarks of modern art is its tendency to push boundaries and confront societal norms. Artists often use their work to comment on political, social, and cultural issues, addressing controversial topics head-on. In doing so, they challenge the status quo, forcing viewers to confront uncomfortable truths. While this can be unsettling, it also provides an opportunity for critical reflection and growth.

Some modern artists have sought to shock their audiences as a deliberate artistic strategy. Shock value can serve as a tool for drawing attention to pressing issues and sparking discourse. Artists like Salvador Dalí and Damien Hirst have used shock tactics to provoke thought and engage viewers in meaningful conversations about the human condition, mortality, and the absurdity of life.

Modern art has also played a significant role in expanding the inclusivity of the art world. It has allowed for the representation of diverse voices and experiences, often marginalized in traditional art circles. This inclusivity has led to a richer and more inclusive art landscape, providing opportunities for underrepresented artists to share their stories.

Conclusion:
    Instead of dismissing modern art as depraved, we should engage with it critically, appreciating its capacity to challenge preconceptions and offer fresh perspectives. It is through this engagement and dialogue that we can gain a deeper understanding of the ever-evolving world of art and its role in our society. In the end, the "depravity" of modern art may well be its greatest strength, pushing us to question, learn, and grow.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Markram 102 from only 49 balls! A new record for World Cups and the third century of the innings.

Slogathons follow the law of diminishing returns.

Cricket needs to be a fair contest of bowler and against batsman.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Er, OK

Bit harsh
    I didn't mean your comment, I meant the one you had responded to. Sorry, should have made that clearer.
    No worries. I figured that was the case!
  • Options

SymeonBrown
    @symeonbrown
    ·
    2h

So put more carriages on each train. This has been a problem on the East Midlands cross country lines for years. They reduced the numbers of carriages from 4 to 2 or sometimes even 1 and it is so bad that at times people can't actually get on the train.

Rail capacity is not the big issue. Train capacity is.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050

Foxy said:

FPT

Carnyx said:

Indeed.

Eating less sugary, carb based processed crap and eating more meat improves people's diets too.

Eating vegetables with a side of vegetables or chips with a side of vegetables isn't balanced. Eating meat with a side of vegetables is more balanced.
    One wonders how the population of Southern India has survived all this time.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

SymeonBrown
    @symeonbrown
    ·
    2h

Which is why I said if there's a full road, not a full bus. Same for trains.

A full train may mean just put on another train. If you can't put on another train then a new track might be needed.

As I said to you the other day though, widening pre existing routes like widening pre existing motorways is the absolutely worse form of investment. Same for HS2 it shows the same failed Treasury mentality of only investing where there is already infrastructure.

Development happens by providing infrastructure where it is missing. Linking places that are currently unlinked.

If there's to be investment in either roads or rails (and there should be both) it should primarily be about building connections where they're lacking, not widening or expanding capacity where it already exists but is full at rush hour only.

A new route can be used all day every day. Extra capacity is only used at rush hour.
  • Options
    Leon said:

THIS is quite something

Highly impressive social media from Hamas. Slick, clever, scary (there is no gore but there is the sound of gunfire at the end)

"Hamas Al-Qassam Brigades has released a video showing its fighters paragliding from Gaza over Israeli settlements.
    #Hamas #TelAviv #AlAqsaFlood #Jerusalem #GazaUnderAttack #Gaza #حماس #طوفان_القدس #طوفان_الأقصى #اسرائیل #فلسطين"

How does Israel permanently end a threat like this? The Palestinian/Israeli struggle is entering an entirely new stage

I remember you getting overly excited about the propaganda efforts of ISIS.

It mattered not at all when the military reality changed.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,341
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Er, OK

Bit harsh
    I think he was referring to my previous remark. Bit odd though. To claim my stating that Netanyahu has ruined Israel's reputation in the eyes of the world is 'glory[ing] in this brutal slaughter of civilians' is patently ridiculous.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050
    Leon said:

"Israel will likely aim to destroy Hamas completely following today's massacres & mass kidnappings of Israelis. Palestinian affairs expert
    @issacharoff
    makes the point: Assault on Israel succeeded far beyond what Hamas hoped, and this will now backfire."

Probably some embarrassed bluster in there. The Israeli intel and military have been surprised and humiliated, this is a pretty calamitous failure

However the diagnosis might be right - Israel will now seek to eliminate Hamas once and forever, whatever it takes

Isn't that what they've been trying to do for some decades?
  • Options

SymeonBrown
    @symeonbrown
    ·
    2h

There’s significant disruption on the West Coast Main Line today:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:EUS/to/gb-nr:MAN/2023-10-07/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=pax-calls&order=wtt
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Er, OK

Biblical force would equate to using nuclear weapons - the Bible having many examples of mass annihilation.

Killing a few thousand in retaliation is merely the usual dreary retaliation.
    "Oh, yes. The Bible speaks of the Ark leveling mountains and laying waste to entire regions. An army which carries the Ark before it... is invincible."

• Options

Farooq said:

SymeonBrown
    @symeonbrown
    ·
    2h

Which is why I said if there's a full road, not a full bus. Same for trains.

A full train may mean just put on another train. If you can't put on another train then a new track might be needed.

As I said to you the other day though, widening pre existing routes like widening pre existing motorways is the absolutely worse form of investment. Same for HS2 it shows the same failed Treasury mentality of only investing where there is already infrastructure.

Development happens by providing infrastructure where it is missing. Linking places that are currently unlinked.

If there's to be investment in either roads or rails (and there should be both) it should primarily be about building connections where they're lacking, not widening or expanding capacity where it already exists but is full at rush hour only.

A new route can be used all day every day. Extra capacity is only used at rush hour.
    Fair enough, I misread your comment and conflated it with what you were replying to.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Er, OK

Bit harsh
    You:
    Er, OK

DavidL:
    Your statement which clearly about the depravity of Modern Art needs some desconstruction.

Modern art is a vast and diverse realm that has elicited a wide range of reactions from the public, including admiration, confusion, and, in some cases, disdain. While many appreciate the innovation and creativity displayed in modern art, some critics argue that it has descended into depravity, straying too far from traditional artistic values. This essay will explore the concept of the "depravity" of modern art and provide a balanced perspective on this contentious issue.

Modern art encompasses a vast array of artistic movements and styles that emerged in the late 19th and 20th centuries. From Impressionism and Cubism to Abstract Expressionism and Pop Art, modern art has continuously evolved, challenging conventional notions of representation and aesthetics. This evolution has, at times, led to radical departures from traditional art forms, causing discomfort among some observers.

The term "depravity" is inherently subjective and value-laden. What one person perceives as depraved, another might consider groundbreaking and thought-provoking. Art, by its nature, encourages diversity of interpretation, and what one sees as a descent into depravity, another sees as a celebration of human expression and freedom.

One of the hallmarks of modern art is its tendency to push boundaries and confront societal norms. Artists often use their work to comment on political, social, and cultural issues, addressing controversial topics head-on. In doing so, they challenge the status quo, forcing viewers to confront uncomfortable truths. While this can be unsettling, it also provides an opportunity for critical reflection and growth.

Some modern artists have sought to shock their audiences as a deliberate artistic strategy. Shock value can serve as a tool for drawing attention to pressing issues and sparking discourse. Artists like Salvador Dalí and Damien Hirst have used shock tactics to provoke thought and engage viewers in meaningful conversations about the human condition, mortality, and the absurdity of life.

Modern art has also played a significant role in expanding the inclusivity of the art world. It has allowed for the representation of diverse voices and experiences, often marginalized in traditional art circles. This inclusivity has led to a richer and more inclusive art landscape, providing opportunities for underrepresented artists to share their stories.

Conclusion:
    Instead of dismissing modern art as depraved, we should engage with it critically, appreciating its capacity to challenge preconceptions and offer fresh perspectives. It is through this engagement and dialogue that we can gain a deeper understanding of the ever-evolving world of art and its role in our society. In the end, the "depravity" of modern art may well be its greatest strength, pushing us to question, learn, and grow.
    Er, ok.
    Blatant sexism now from you? For shame, David. For. Shame.
  • Options

Leon said:

THIS is quite something

I always get overly excited about EVERYTHING

However this is a notable development

1. The sophistication of the video, the production values, the slickness - this matters. ISIS boomed BECAUSE they were good at this stuff, and recruited people from all over. Like Shamima Begum

2. It shows a level of cleverness in the attack. Paragliders with vehicles, cruising over the wall, landing in ISraeli settlements and massacring everyone? That will scare Israelis everywhere, and that will have military and political consequences, probably not good ones for Gazans
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,550
    There has been an obvious solution to the Palestinian problem for decades. And a fairly easy one, as the September 9th issue of the Economist reminded me. Turns out that a Muslim nation, Uzbekistan, once had a substantial Jewish population, about 200,000. They fled Muslim and Communist persection, and now about half of them are in the US, half of them in the UK.

The same is true of many Arab nations; they once had substantial Jewish populations, but do no longer. Now it is true that none of these nations particularly want the Palestinians, but they should take them in, anyway.

This solution follows the "aggressor pays" rule, which is a good one, in general.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,561
    Leon said:

Leon said:

THIS is quite something

I always get overly excited about EVERYTHING
    Really? We'd never noticed.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

FPT

Carnyx said:

Indeed.

One wonders how the population of Southern India has survived all this time.
    In poverty with poor life expectancy primarily.

What's your point?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,012

There has been an obvious solution to the Palestinian problem for decades. And a fairly easy one, as the September 9th issue of the Economist reminded me. Turns out that a Muslim nation, Uzbekistan, once had a substantial Jewish population, about 200,000. They fled Muslim and Communist persection, and now about half of them are in the US, half of them in the UK.

The same is true of many Arab nations; they once had substantial Jewish populations, but do no longer. Now it is true that none of these nations particularly want the Palestinians, but they should take them in, anyway.

This solution follows the "aggressor pays" rule, which is a good one, in general.

You think the solution is ethnic cleansing, a crime against humanity?
  • Options

That pretty much is what happened after 1948 - the West Bank became part of Jordan and Gaza was controlled by Egypt.

It was the Israeli advance in 1967 which changed the situation.

So it has effectively become an Israeli only problem - harder for them to deal with in some ways but it doesn't result in war with Egypt or Jordan.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,550
    I'll have to know more details, but if the first acounts are broadly correct, the success of this attack shows a serious intelligence failure by the Israeli government, Perhaps Netanyahu has been paying too much attention to his domestic opponents, and too little to his "IslamoNazi" enemies.
  • Options

Sure, sounds like a good plan. Who knew that the solution was simply to wipe Palestine off the map? Seems so obvious now you mention it.
  • Options

The only reason that there's no Palestinian state is that Egypt and Transjordan (not Israel) invaded in 1947 and murdered it at birth, while trying to murder Israel at birth in the immediate wake of the Holocaust. Thank goodness they failed.

They then tried to murder Israel again, in 1967. Again thank goodness they failed.

Arafat had the opportunity for peace. He turned it down.

Hamas, Iran etc still demand Israel's destruction.

The only way peace may ultimately be attained is if those who refuse to recognise Israel's right to exist are relocated to Egypt or Jordan (who after all are the nations responsible for Palestine not existing) or Iran.

It's unpleasant but increasingly the only viable path to peace. And that's not Israel's fault, they're the victims here.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

I'll have to know more details, but if the first acounts are broadly correct, the success of this attack shows a serious intelligence failure by the Israeli government, Perhaps Netanyahu has been paying too much attention to his domestic opponents, and too little to his "IslamoNazi" enemies.

Yes, it's a catastrophic failure for the IDF and Mossad - beyond "serious". It reminds me a little of the Tet Offensive, which in itself was a failure but was a fatal blow, long term, to the American effort in Vietnam, as it exposed America's lack of control and intelligence

For now, I am sure Israelis will be right behind Netanyahu, cheering on Operation Take Em Out, but when the dust settles he will pay a political price, likewise the spies and soldiers who should have seen this coming. 5000 rockets? Militants flying paragliders, and riding boats onto Israeli beaches?

Gaza is probably the most surveilled place on earth, and they missed it all
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    edited October 2023

The only reason that there's no Palestinian state is that Egypt and Transjordan (not Israel) invaded in 1947 and murdered it at birth, while trying to murder Israel at birth in the immediate wake of the Holocaust. Thank goodness they failed.

They then tried to murder Israel again, in 1967. Again thank goodness they failed.

Arafat had the opportunity for peace. He turned it down.

Hamas, Iran etc still demand Israel's destruction.

The only way peace may ultimately be attained is if those who refuse to recognise Israel's right to exist are relocated to Egypt or Jordan (who after all are the nations responsible for Palestine not existing) or Iran.

It's unpleasant but increasingly the only viable path to peace. And that's not Israel's fault, they're the victims here.
    Egypt and Jordan ceded their claims to West Bank/Gaza to the PLO back in 1988.
  • Options

Unfortunately a hundred will get you one Netanyahu and his government does.
  • Options

Brutal as it is, ethnic cleansing HAS solved some intractable issues. Turks and Greeks were cleansed from Greece and Turkey in 1923, it was a tragedy for many people on both sides, but the two nations have not fought a war since

See also the Germans expelled from eastern Europe post WW2
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Sure, sounds like a good plan. Who knew that the solution was simply to wipe Palestine off the map? Seems so obvious now you mention it.
    What Palestine on the map?

Egypt and Transjordan already wiped Palestine off the map in 1947.

They tried twice to wipe Israel off the map and failed both times and the disputed territory isn't Palestinian land it's ex Egyptian and Jordanian land and they've renounced their claims to it.

If they take responsibility for their actions and take the people who can't peacefully live in Israel's land, that's taking responsibility for their own history and may allow peace.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,830
    Farooq said:

Isn’t it the “realist” position?

1) Its a shame about the Israeli settlers
    2) but facts on the ground
    3) Plus Hamas has some ugly historic links to Arab National Socialism
    4) So the Palestinians should accept whatever the Israeli government offers them now
    5) No aid should be sent to the Palestinians.
    6) All of the above is Because! Peace!
  • Options
    Leon said:

@issacharoff

If it were so easy I’m surprised they haven’t eliminated Hamas before now.
    What they’ll do is increase air and drone strikes with (even) less concern for collateral civilian damage.

A not entirely rhetorical question, has a terrorist/freedom fighting (delete to taste) group ever been entirely eliminated solely by force of arms?
  • Options

Leon said:

@issacharoff

What they’ll do is increase air and drone strikes with (even) less concern for collateral civilian damage.

A not entirely rhetorical question, has a terrorist/freedom fighting (delete to taste) group ever been entirely eliminated solely by force of arms?
    The Greens in the Russian Civil War?
  • Options
    Single mother says Tory MP Gary Streeter who was caught on CCTV attacking security camera at her house only started trying to evict her after they fell out over Covid
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12604807/Tory-MP-wants-disagreed-Government-Covid-response.html
  • Options
    Leon said:

Brutal as it is, ethnic cleansing HAS solved some intractable issues. Turks and Greeks were cleansed from Greece and Turkey in 1923, it was a tragedy for many people on both sides, but the two nations have not fought a war since

See also the Germans expelled from eastern Europe post WW2
    The Turks and Greeks fought each other in Cyprus in 1974. But yes. Some problems just need to find a resolution.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,038
    If the stories about mass kidnapping are true, this is could be a disaster. Let's hope Hamas don't go full ISIS.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited October 2023

Farooq said:

Isn’t it the “realist” position?

1) Its a shame about the Israeli settlers
    2) but facts on the ground
    3) Plus Hamas has some ugly historic links to Arab National Socialism
    4) So the Palestinians should accept whatever the Israeli government offers them now
    5) No aid should be sent to the Palestinians.
    6) All of the above is Because! Peace!
    The thing is that Israel have bent over backwards to be the better person in this conflict. Despite being the victims, despite the Holocaust, despite having superior firepower they have shown remarkable restrain.

Had they wanted to they could have cleared the land in 1967 and expelled the aggressors back into their remaining territory as happened to Germany post WWII.

It's only because they didn't do that, that this conflict has raged for so long.

And for that restraint, antisemitic racists treat them as the worst nation on earth while Russia, China and others actively engage in ethnic cleansing.
  • Options

Leon said:

@issacharoff

Tamil Tigers?
  • Options

Leon said:

@issacharoff

What I susoect/fear is that Israel will go even further this time. They won't just bomb the fuck out of the poor innocent Gazans, they will go in and occupy, and possibly try and kick all the Gazans out. It sounds insane, but Netanyahu's government contains extremists who have suggested exactly this, before. Now they have a casus belli

As for your second question, it's a good one. Didn't the Brits do a decent-ish job in Malaysia? TBH I can't be sure, and no doubt there was some politics involved

Shining Path in Peru were pretty much wiped out by hard army attacks, not much negotiation there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_Path#:~:text=Government forces destroyed villages and,fight against the Shining Path.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,830
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

@issacharoff

The Greens in the Russian Civil War?
    The Peruvians wiped out (pretty much) Shining Path. By launching a counter insurgency against them.

Vladimiro Lenin Ilich Montesinos Torres has been bored to death as a kid by his ultra communist parents forcing him to read the The Little Red Book. So when he rose to head the Peruvian counter terrorism effort, he applied it in reverse…
  • Options

Leon said:

@issacharoff

Tamil Tigers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lankan_Civil_War

Perhaps some of the wars in 1950s and 1960s Malaysia and Kenya ?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

If the stories about mass kidnapping are true, this is could be a disaster. Let's hope Hamas don't go full ISIS.

it doesn't look good, and it is ongoing

"As of half an hour ago. “The IDF has not yet gained control in any of the locations that involve terrorist infiltration in southern Israel. Residents are still in shelters and report that no Israeli security forces nor available medical staff are on site.”"

https://x.com/shashj/status/1710612659198947644?s=20

"Horrific. ‘"We are being slaughtered. There is no army. It has been 6 hours. People are begging for their lives," one Israeli in a southern kibbutz said.’"
This discussion has been closed.