Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is LAB going to make a by-election gain tonight? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,072
    edited October 2023

Sophy Ridge on Sky posted their poll on the cancellation of HS2

Correct decision

Yes 34%
    No 27%
    D/K 39%

Is that a Voodoo poll?

Or from a BPC registered pollster?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,926
    edited October 2023
    Cyclefree said:

I realise that I have a personal interest. But if there is an eruption in Naples I won't give a fuckety fuck what happens in British politics. Or anywhere else for that matter. My heart will be broken.

@Cyclefree Records of actual destructive historically recorded eruptions look rare for the Campi Flegrei (as opposed to Vesuvius) and the likelihood probably tends towards an event possibly months and years away, towards the slow motion pushing up of a hill over days and weeks. Perhaps something that damages housing over an area if in the wrong bit, and forces evacuations, but hopefully gradual enough that the risk to life is limited.

Ianae, and am just following this one, and can't guarantee anything I'm afraid, but do read the 1538 event I linked as I think the scenario there, which has resemblance to now, does possibly provide a degree of reassurance. It is a worry for sure, but the history might tilt a bit towards a very inconvenient curiosity rather than an impending disaster.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,676
    edited October 2023
    Cyclefree said:

I realise that I have a personal interest. But if there is an eruption in Naples I won't give a fuckety fuck what happens in British politics. Or anywhere else for that matter. My heart will be broken.

I hope these guys are correct.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/italy-plans-possible-evacuations-super-volcano-near-naples-2023-10-05/
    ...There is not an imminent threat of an eruption, most volcanologists say, but with the ground currently rising by 1.5 cm (0.59 inches) a month, there is concern over the impact on local buildings.

Civil Protection Minister Nello Musumeci said this week evacuations would only be triggered in case of "extreme necessity"...

The recent activity doesn't seem to be entirely unprecedented. Though of course we didn't have satellite monitoring of the same kind back then.

..The last time Campi Flegrei suffered a comparable burst of earthquakes was in the 1980s. On that occasion, some 40,000 people were temporarily evacuated from nearby Pozzuoli...
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,212
    What if the police investigation of the SNP goes nowhere and no charges are brought . That would surely boost them so I think their GE obituaries are being prematurely written .

A lot can happen in a year !
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,238
    So Trevor Kavanagh thinks Sunak has stymied Starmer. He's not wrong
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,326

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    1m
    Friday’s TIMES: “CPS calls for clemency over ‘mercy killing’ cases”

===

Excellent news.

Welcome, but let's not go this far:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/11/canada-cases-right-to-die-laws
  • Options

Correct decision

Yes 34%
    No 27%
    D/K 39%

Is that a Voodoo poll?

FindOutNow;

https://news.sky.com/story/tory-conference-latest-rishi-sunak-to-make-speech-to-tory-faithful-after-conference-overshadowed-by-hs2-backlash-12593360?postid=6535851#liveblog-body

But the Conservative members figures from the same poll;

Yes 66%
    No 18%
    D/K 16%

The faithful are still faithful.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,530
    Ratters said:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

Rishi Sunak has not seen a “conference bounce” in polls despite unveiling a string of high-profile policies

Yougov poll for Times finds Labour retains a 21 point lead

Ban on cigarette sales very popular; opinion mixed on HS2 & A-levels

This is one of the few major set piece events before the election campaign. No polling bounce wouldn't be a great outcome to say the least.

Sunak has tried governing via minefield. The purpose of many of these announcements is to create a wedge with Labour to make them look fiscally irresponsible or taking money from your pocket.

Labour seems to be taking the approach of staying in the barracks and taking their time to decide on which fronts they want to fight. The mines go untouched.

What concerns me is the prospect of Sunak continuing to make actively harmful decisions until he can get Labour to step on one.
    Is it? Autumn Statement. Budget. 2024 conference. Pre-election Autumn statement in 2024.

Plus anything else he wants to invent.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the Tories will lose, but the fat lady is only on verse one and she might yet stop singing with a bad throat.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,738

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

Rishi Sunak has not seen a “conference bounce” in polls despite unveiling a string of high-profile policies

@Mexicanpete please explain
    I didn't say yesterday's policies including Streeting's cigarette ban are necessarily positive.

What I suggested was Sunak/Cummings are rather clever in salting the earth in the event of a Labour win. It lays the land for a Labour government to fail quickly and a swift return for the Tories. I don't think we have ever seen this before in the UK, but Cummings is a strange lad. Has he thought through a Sunak win though?
    That was just yesterday. Every day seemingly you are droning about ‘game changers’ and LBC audiences and blah blah fucking blah, I don’t know if it’s reverse psychology or what, but you are like broken record.
    Dura Ace explained a couple of weeks ago how to block posts from specific posters. I suggest you scroll back and have a look and follow his instructions.
    Why would I want to block you? Usually your posts are great, but in recent weeks you have become this weird Sunak booster. Why?

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

I didn't say yesterday's policies including Streeting's cigarette ban are necessarily positive.

What I suggested was Sunak/Cummings are rather clever in salting the earth in the event of a Labour win. It lays the land for a Labour government to fail quickly and a swift return for the Tories. I don't think we have ever seen this before in the UK, but Cummings is a strange lad. Has he thought through a Sunak win though?
    That was just yesterday. Every day seemingly you are droning about ‘game changers’ and LBC audiences and blah blah fucking blah, I don’t know if it’s reverse psychology or what, but you are like broken record.
    Dura Ace explained a couple of weeks ago how to block posts from specific posters. I suggest you scroll back and have a look and follow his instructions.
    Why would I want to block you? Usually your posts are great, but in recent weeks you have become this weird Sunak booster. Why?
    The Conservatives are going to claw back the victory. This is not like '97 it is like '92. The media are incredibly hostile which they weren't in '97 and Starmer is unfortunately an utter clown. Granted, not in the same league as Corbyn but an incompetent loser nonetheless.

I listened to the whole if Sunak's speech and I thought it was drops. The media interpretation has been somewhat more positive. Mainstream media have captured this insanity that Sunak is the "change" candidate, which you have to admit is pure Cummings insanity, but it's working.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    1m
    Friday’s TIMES: “CPS calls for clemency over ‘mercy killing’ cases”

===

Excellent news.

Welcome, but let's not go this far:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/11/canada-cases-right-to-die-laws
    Or worse:

https://apnews.com/article/covid-science-health-toronto-7c631558a457188d2bd2b5cfd360a867
  • Options
    FT

Starmer's refusal to reverse the axe to the line north of Birmingham in effect delivers the coup de grace to the Northern branch
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

The Conservatives are going to claw back the victory. This is not like '97 it is like '92. The media are incredibly hostile which they weren't in '97 and Starmer is unfortunately an utter clown. Granted, not in the same league as Corbyn but an incompetent loser nonetheless.

I listened to the whole if Sunak's speech and I thought it was drops. The media interpretation has been somewhat more positive. Mainstream media have captured this insanity that Sunak is the "change" candidate, which you have to admit is pure Cummings insanity, but it's working.
    The test of your theory is next week. Watch for invented “rows” and “gaffs” from a bored media that wants a Tory comeback narrative.
  • Options

Correct decision

Yes 34%
    No 27%
    D/K 39%

Is that a Voodoo poll?

No
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope these guys are correct.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/italy-plans-possible-evacuations-super-volcano-near-naples-2023-10-05/
    ...There is not an imminent threat of an eruption, most volcanologists say, but with the ground currently rising by 1.5 cm (0.59 inches) a month, there is concern over the impact on local buildings.

Civil Protection Minister Nello Musumeci said this week evacuations would only be triggered in case of "extreme necessity"...

The recent activity doesn't seem to be entirely unprecedented. Though of course we didn't have satellite monitoring of the same kind back then.

..The last time Campi Flegrei suffered a comparable burst of earthquakes was in the 1980s. On that occasion, some 40,000 people were temporarily evacuated from nearby Pozzuoli...
    There have been 2 eruptions in the area already this week. I'm not sure that referring to what happened in 1538 is entirely reassuring, frankly.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,402

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

So after all that, Labour are going to do exactly the same. Come on Labour, pull your fingers out:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/10/05/keir-starmer-will-not-commit-reverse-rishi-sunak-hs2-cut/

Not fair to Sir K. He has unavoidably not made a commitment. To do so is to fall into the trap set for him - it's a massive spending commitment he cannot make before an election. Sir K can't commit to an extra billion let alone many billions. But he has left the door open. Expect lots more of this.
    Indeed. The Tories must think Royale is stupid. He is many things, but stupid is not one of them.
    But in theory this isn't about money. Both sides are saying they'd spend the money
    This article should be read by everyone interested in politics and economics

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/04/financial-crisis-political-class-lies/
    You may be interested to know that I think he's 100% wrong. I'm going thru Peter Turchin's "End Times"[1] at the moment and I think he (Turchin) is right. The combination of popular immiseration and elite overproduction have led to the potential for revolution, where people qualified to wield power but denied it utilise disaffected masses to overthrow regimes. Allister Heath's prescription would just make the miserable poor more miserable and more poor, and that'll only make things worse.

Recall my past comments on Pensionerism. The preponderance of wealthy elderly means that old ideas will persist even when they stop working, and new ideas for a new age will die stillborn. The cure you prefer would have worked in a neoliberal age, but that age stopped around 2015. The current condition - retreating globalisation, less trade, more migration waves - require new solutions, and the old ways won't work. We have just spent two years pushing on a string with higher interest rates, and were surprised it didn't work. Making mistakes is one thing, but failing to learn from them is another.

[1] https://www.waterstones.com/book/end-times/peter-turchin//9780241553480
  • Options
    nico679 said:

What if the police investigation of the SNP goes nowhere and no charges are brought . That would surely boost them so I think their GE obituaries are being prematurely written .

A lot can happen in a year !

I have made that point several times to be fair
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,344
    edited October 2023

Correct decision

Yes 34%
    No 27%
    D/K 39%

Is that a Voodoo poll?

FindOutNow;

https://news.sky.com/story/tory-conference-latest-rishi-sunak-to-make-speech-to-tory-faithful-after-conference-overshadowed-by-hs2-backlash-12593360?postid=6535851#liveblog-body

Yes 66%
    No 18%
    D/K 16%

In that poll they found 2,019 national voters, and 437 Conservative members? Really?

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,379

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

On what basis is it ‘working’?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,627
    edited October 2023
    SNP blaming Tory voters going over to Labour, on Newsnight.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,197
    edited October 2023
    biggles said:

Ratters said:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

This is one of the few major set piece events before the election campaign. No polling bounce wouldn't be a great outcome to say the least.

Sunak has tried governing via minefield. The purpose of many of these announcements is to create a wedge with Labour to make them look fiscally irresponsible or taking money from your pocket.

Labour seems to be taking the approach of staying in the barracks and taking their time to decide on which fronts they want to fight. The mines go untouched.

What concerns me is the prospect of Sunak continuing to make actively harmful decisions until he can get Labour to step on one.
    Is it? Autumn Statement. Budget. 2024 conference. Pre-election Autumn statement in 2024.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the Tories will lose, but the fat lady is only on verse one and she might yet stop singing with a bad throat.
    There is something of the antibiotic-resistant superbug about the Tories, it’s true. Or at least after 13 years of them it feels that way. But I remember 1996. People felt the same, they couldn’t believe what the polls were showing.

And we also remember 2010. A lot of people believed we were into a new era of pendulum politics, the coalition might or might not survive for the whole 5 years, Labour might well be back again soon. But they weren’t. There’s no guarantee that things will swing straight back to a party that’s alienated most of the electorate and is gradually losing the ones it’s not alienated to death by natural causes.

There is no positive reason to vote conservative, none at all.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

SNP blaming Tory voters going over to Labour, on Newsnight.

Tactical voting for the union
  • Options

Correct decision

Yes 34%
    No 27%
    D/K 39%

Is that a Voodoo poll?

FindOutNow;

Yes 66%
    No 18%
    D/K 16%

In that poll they found 2,019 national voters, and 437 Conservative members? Really?

The discrepency in the don't know figures is the interesting part there.
  • Options
    TimS said:

biggles said:

Ratters said:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

There is something of the antibiotic-resistant superbug about the Tories, it’s true. Or at least after 13 years of them it feels that way. But I remember 1996. People felt the same, they couldn’t believe what the polls were showing.

And we also remember 2010. A lot of people believed we were into a new era of pendulum politics, the coalition might or might not survive for the whole 5 years, Labour might well be back again soon. But they weren’t. There’s no guarantee that things will swing straight back to a party that’s alienated most of the electorate and is gradually losing the ones it’s not alienated to death by natural causes.

There is no positive reason to vote conservative, none at all.
    I don’t disagree. In general, I think alternating two four year terms of each party would be best for the country. Sadly I don’t get to choose.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

So after all that, Labour are going to do exactly the same. Come on Labour, pull your fingers out:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/10/05/keir-starmer-will-not-commit-reverse-rishi-sunak-hs2-cut/

Not fair to Sir K. He has unavoidably not made a commitment. To do so is to fall into the trap set for him - it's a massive spending commitment he cannot make before an election. Sir K can't commit to an extra billion let alone many billions. But he has left the door open. Expect lots more of this.
    Indeed. The Tories must think Royale is stupid. He is many things, but stupid is not one of them.
    But in theory this isn't about money. Both sides are saying they'd spend the money

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/04/financial-crisis-political-class-lies/
    You may be interested to know that I think he's 100% wrong. I'm going thru Peter Turchin's "End Times"[1] at the moment and I think he (Turchin) is right. The combination of popular immiseration and elite overproduction have led to the potential for revolution, where people qualified to wield power but denied it utilise disaffected masses to overthrow regimes. Allister Heath's prescription would just make the miserable poor more miserable and more poor, and that'll only make things worse.

Recall my past comments on Pensionerism. The preponderance of wealthy elderly means that old ideas will persist even when they stop working, and new ideas for a new age will die stillborn. The cure you prefer would have worked in a neoliberal age, but that age stopped around 2015. The current condition - retreating globalisation, less trade, more migration waves - require new solutions, and the old ways won't work. We have just spent two years pushing on a string with higher interest rates, and were surprised it didn't work. Making mistakes is one thing, but failing to learn from them is another.

Fantastic comment. I was in a cab today and the cab driver said he didnt believe the mainstream media and he thought covid was a scam. Also said many of his friends thought the same way.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

Let's see the next Opinium. Single figures!
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,245
    Rutherglen predictions... have I missed anyone?

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,212
    Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

Can I have 1,900 !
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,926
    Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

+1650 was mine
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,335

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

Fantastic comment. I was in a cab today and the cab driver said he didnt believe the mainstream media and he thought covid was a scam. Also said many of his friends thought the same way.
    Was it on Nevsky Prospekt?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

At this precise moment I think TSE is spot on.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

SNP by 250
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

Who exactly is qualified to wield power but also willing to utilise disaffected masses to overthrow regimes?

My judgement of the former would be somewhat* tempered by the latter.

*utterly
  • Options
    Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

Can I let you know at about 0130?
  • Options

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

I spend a lot of time in taxis (it's how I get to the train station) and can personally confirm that several taxi drivers think as you describe
  • Options
    biggles said:

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

You can!

But I won't count it.
  • Options

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

To be clear, TSE predicted an SNP win by an unspecified amount. I have a feeling he's wrong.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

Yeah, you missed me!

Labour by 2000
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

To be clear, TSE predicted an SNP win by an unspecified amount. I have a feeling he's wrong.
    Ah, it should be "- ?" then.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,326
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

I spend a lot of time in taxis (it's how I get to the train station) and can personally confirm that several taxi drivers think as you describe
    Taxi drivers have been mental for as long as I can rember conversations with taxi drivers.
  • Options

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

Yeah, you missed me!

Labour by 2000
    I'm feeling like Lab might take it by more than 4000.
    Turnout mid 40s?

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,838
    edited October 2023
    I have a cheeky couple of quid on the SNP to win, so I'd better say that, maybe by 300?

I have no idea whether they actually will, just fancied a flutter.
  • Options
    Just think, this time next year we could be arguing over the exit poll and waiting up to see the big heads roll.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

You just cherrypicking polls now? There’s a poll out literally tonight with a 21 point lead
    which you choose to ignore presumably? In any case, it’s boring reading your posts on this matter because you have a hypothesis and fit the evidence around it rather than vice versa. Of course, you might end up being right, but droning on about it without any evidence won’t be the reason if you are.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

Who exactly is qualified to wield power but also willing to utilise disaffected masses to overthrow regimes?

*utterly
    Good comment about the preponderance of wealthy elderly stopping change. There are many about living in large paid off houses and spending most of their time planning their next holiday. They live in a different reality to young people paying exorbitant rents. They are the conservative core voters.
  • Options

I have a cheeky couple of quid on the SNP to win, so I'd better say that, maybe by 300?

Already briefing BBC that they have lost, so it doesn't bode well for them.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Farooq said:

biggles said:

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

You can!

But I won't count it.
    More seriously, I don’t think anyone can sensibly play now as the SNP seem to have half conceded.

I would have said SNP by 500.
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

Taxi drivers have been mental for as long as I can rember conversations with taxi drivers.
    Normally the white ones, though. Although a couple of times I've listened to anti-muslim rants from Hindu drivers, just for variation.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

I said it was my book talking.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,838

Already briefing BBC that they have lost, so it doesn't bode well for them.
    Boooo. No stomach for a fight.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,383

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

Yeah, you missed me!

Labour by 2000
    And me - Labour by 3800.
  • Options
    Removing TSE then

SNP WIN
    - 500 @biggles
    - 471 @boulay
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 300 @Luckyguy1983
    TIE
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 250 @Foxy
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +1650 @Pro_Rata
    +1900 @Nico (I assume you mean Labour win?)
    +2000 @Sunil_Prasannan
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4000 @AramintaMoonbeamQC
    +4800 @Heathener
    LABOUR WIN

Ok, apologies to those I missed, I only scanned the previous thread for replies to me, may have missed others.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,053

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

Yeah, you missed me!

Labour by 2000
    Turnout mid 40s?

It's been pouring rain here from morning 'till night - I'd be pleasantly surprised if the turnout is that high.
  • Options

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

Yeah, you missed me!

Labour by 2000
    Turnout mid 40s?

Labour +4000 on a turnout of 45% would be a big win.
  • Options
    The RAAC stuff seems to have fallen entirely out of popular view.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

It's just crumbled away.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

You just cherrypicking polls now? There’s a poll out literally tonight with a 21 point lead
    which you choose to ignore presumably? In any case, it’s boring reading your posts on this matter because you have a hypothesis and fit the evidence around it rather than vice versa. Of course, you might end up being right, but droning on about it without any evidence won’t be the reason if you are.
    Pot calling the kettle black comes to mind
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,562
    edited October 2023
    biggles said:

Farooq said:

biggles said:

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

You can!

But I won't count it.
    More seriously, I don’t think anyone can sensibly play now as the SNP seem to have half conceded.

Looks like Yousaf will likely lose his first parliamentary by election as SNP leader then, will likely provoke some grumbles in SNP ranks
  • Options

And me - Labour by 3800.

Apologies

SNP WIN
    - 500 @biggles
    - 471 @boulay
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 300 @Luckyguy1983
    TIE
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 250 @Foxy
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +1650 @Pro_Rata
    +2000 @Sunil_Prasannan
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +3800 @NickPalmer
    +4800 @Heathener
    LABOUR WIN
  • Options

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

Yeah, you missed me!

Labour by 2000
    Turnout mid 40s?

Labour +4000 on a turnout of 45% would be a big win.
    Lab say their vote has turned up, SNP have been deserted by the faithful, Tories going tactical? Could be a hefty win.

Could be 50 votes in it, who knows? 😂
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I was impressed last year in Liverpool when the taxi-driver held forth about the way the City of Culture award had really boosted Liverpool, and the galleries and theatre were great. I realised I harboured dark prejudices about reactionary Sun-reading taxi-drivers and was suitably abashed.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,025
    Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

I went for +1783
  • Options
    carnforth said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

Normally the white ones, though. Although a couple of times I've listened to anti-muslim rants from Hindu drivers, just for variation.
    Weirdly, although Americans are fairly mental by and large, American taxi drivers tend to be less mental than British ones, for some reason. Often well educated immigrants listening to the BBC world service. Go figure!
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,053

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

Cab drivers here seem of much the same mind. Oddly enough - quite a few cab drivers died during pandemic times.

Also possibly related to their furlough payments being related to the taxable incomes they'd reported for the previous year,
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

biggles said:

Farooq said:

biggles said:

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

You can!

But I won't count it.

Looks like Yousaf will likely lose his first parliamentary by election as SNP leader then, will likely provoke some grumbles in SNP ranks
    The SNP reaction to a heavy defeat will be something to savour
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    Farooq said:

And me - Labour by 3800.

Apologies

SNP WIN
    - 500 @biggles
    - 471 @boulay
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 300 @Luckyguy1983
    TIE
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 250 @Foxy
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +1650 @Pro_Rata
    +2000 @Sunil_Prasannan
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +3800 @NickPalmer
    +4800 @Heathener
    LABOUR WIN
    Labour by 2400
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

Yes - I said earlier: Labour by 5,216.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

I went for +1783

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Me - Labour by 1,500 to 2,000

Sorry, sorry, I really did a bad job of keeping track of this! I've added you to the list but I won't keep reposting it now.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,449
    edited October 2023
    Cyclefree said:

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

• Options

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

No
  • Options

viewcode said:

I was impressed last year in Liverpool when the taxi-driver held forth about the way the City of Culture award had really boosted Liverpool, and the galleries and theatre were great. I realised I harboured dark prejudices about reactionary Sun-reading taxi-drivers and was suitably abashed.
    OTOH I caught a cab to an exhibition of illuminated manuscripts at the British Library some time ago and when I explained where I was going the driver asked me whether they put the manuscripts under special lights to illuminate them.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

No
    Yes
  • Options

viewcode said:

Yes every so often you get a nice taxi driver and it temporarily restores your faith in humanity. It never lasts though. I'd rather get the bus. At least if the driver's a c*nt you don't have to listen to him telling you his views on immigration.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Cyclefree said:

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

That would be a big win.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

Farooq said:

biggles said:

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

You can!

But I won't count it.

The blood letting if they get routed will keep us going for days. I'm only really in this one for the entertainment value of the penny dropping that they are in for an absolute pasting at the GE.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

Farooq said:

biggles said:

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

You can!

But I won't count it.

The blood letting if they get routed will keep us going for days. I'm only really in this one for the entertainment value of the penny dropping that they are in for an absolute pasting at the GE.
    In the central belt especially
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

Point of order - pick a number - A number.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Removing TSE then

SNP WIN
    - 500 @biggles
    - 471 @boulay
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 300 @Luckyguy1983
    TIE
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 250 @Foxy
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +1650 @Pro_Rata
    +2000 @Sunil_Prasannan
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    LABOUR WIN

Ok, apologies to those I missed, I only scanned the previous thread for replies to me, may have missed others.

Labour +3000
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Knowing what it stood for got me a point in the pub quiz, as did knowing the rise in the pension.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

I think he picked 1,750.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Removing TSE then

SNP WIN
    - 500 @biggles
    - 471 @boulay
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 300 @Luckyguy1983
    TIE
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 250 @Foxy
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +1650 @Pro_Rata
    +2000 @Sunil_Prasannan
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    LABOUR WIN

Labour +3000
    Labour +3800. But thanks for doing it - adds to the fun!
  • Options
    Farooq said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

*utterly
    In Turchin terms, "elites" is a simple synonym for "power havers". "Elite overproduction" is when people capable of wielding power (I used the word "qualified" above, which misled, my apologies) are denied it thru simple lack of powerful positions. He uses it to refer to well-educated people with professional/academic positions who have sufficient interest in the world and sufficient time to formulate theories.

Here's a thing: Lenin trained to be a lawyer, Stalin a priest, Mao a teacher/librarian, Hitler an artist. All in different circumstances would be comfortable professionals. But lacking a outlet for their gifts and surrounded by disaffected, they went into politics, won, overthrew the existing order and remade the world...and we spent fifty years cleaning up after them.

Although not in the same league (obvs) consider somebody like Matthew Goodwin. A man of considerable gifts and academic achievement, he has the time and intelligence to build an underlying theory of the world and the desire to change the world accordingly. But in a nation of 68 million people (69, 70...remember, it's increasing) and only 650 seats at the top level and a few thou(?) at devolved level, he cannot wield the power he believes to be his right.

So my answer to your question is "...well-educated people/autodidacts with professional/academic positions who have sufficient interest in the world, sufficient time to formulate theories, and sufficient resources to pursue power..."

Does that answer your question?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,011
    Farooq said:

I went for +1783

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Sorry, sorry, I really did a bad job of keeping track of this! I've added you to the list but I won't keep reposting it now.
    Thanks for your work on the collation. Nice bit of distraction from the omnishambles that is the UK governing party.

BF now showing SNP at 32.

Think I may have lost a fiver.

• Options
    Really hope I've got everyone now. No new entries, please, I'm getting stressed :lol:

SNP WIN
    - 500 @biggles
    - 471 @boulay
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 300 @Luckyguy1983
    TIE
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 250 @Foxy
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +1650 @Pro_Rata
    +1750 @rcs1000
    +1783 @Flatlander
    +2000 @Sunil_Prasannan
    +2048 @Farooq
    +2400 @Pulpstar
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +3000 @OnlyLivingBoy
    +3800 @NickPalmer
    +4800 @Heathener
    +5216 @Cyclefree
    LABOUR WIN
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,951
    +5215
  • Options
    I have no doubt the SNP have lost and it will be a boost for Starmer and the union

However, if nothing comes of the police investigations then I would expect some recovery for them

Time to wish everyone good night
  • Options
    ….
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,222

viewcode said:

The Sun is not widely read in Liverpool, taxi drivers or otherwise.
  • Options
    I have no idea who will win tonight, have not researched the situation and so cannot predict. Best of luck to all those of you who have placed a bet and I hope you make a profit.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

No
    Right, that's it! I'm voting Conservative just to piss you off.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    Labour win with 4K majority IMO.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Farooq said:

+ ? @TheScreamingEagles
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 471 @boulay

Allocate the awkward sod 1,750, midpoint of his range.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,011
    One of the candidates in Rutherglen is:

Prince Ankit Love, Emperor of India
  • Options
    Jo Swinson

'Not have hysterics now are we Nicola'
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Exclusive:

No
    Right, that's it! I'm voting Conservative just to piss you off.
    I thought you already were.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,627
    viewcode said:

I have no idea who will win tonight, have not researched the situation and so cannot predict. Best of luck to all those of you who have placed a bet and I hope you make a profit.

I put a small bet on the SNP at 20/1, even though I don't think they'll win. It wasn't worth betting on a Labour victory.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,145

Farooq said:

Removing TSE then

SNP WIN
    - 500 @biggles
    - 471 @boulay
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 300 @Luckyguy1983
    TIE
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 250 @Foxy
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +1650 @Pro_Rata
    +2000 @Sunil_Prasannan
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    LABOUR WIN

Labour +3000
    Labour +6000
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    viewcode said:

Farooq said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

*utterly
    In Turchin terms, "elites" is a simple synonym for "power havers". "Elite overproduction" is when people capable of wielding power (I used the word "qualified" above, which misled, my apologies) are denied it thru simple lack of powerful positions. He uses it to refer to well-educated people with professional/academic positions who have sufficient interest in the world and sufficient time to formulate theories.

Here's a thing: Lenin trained to be a lawyer, Stalin a priest, Mao a teacher/librarian, Hitler an artist. All in different circumstances would be comfortable professionals. But lacking a outlet for their gifts and surrounded by disaffected, they went into politics, won, overthrew the existing order and remade the world...and we spent fifty years cleaning up after them.

Although not in the same league (obvs) consider somebody like Matthew Goodwin. A man of considerable gifts and academic achievement, he has the time and intelligence to build an underlying theory of the world and the desire to change the world accordingly. But in a nation of 68 million people (69, 70...remember, it's increasing) and only 650 seats at the top level and a few thou(?) at devolved level, he cannot wield the power he believes to be his right.

So my answer to your question is "...well-educated people/autodidacts with professional/academic positions who have sufficient interest in the world, sufficient time to formulate theories, and sufficient resources to pursue power..."

Does that answer your question?
    Yes, and it's intensely interesting too, thanks.

Slight quibble. I think Lenin was politically motivated at a very early age by his brother's troubles but I'm no Leninologist so I might be wrong.
  • Options

Correct decision

Yes 34%
    No 27%
    D/K 39%

Is that a Voodoo poll?
    Did you hear about the psephologist from Warsaw wot moved to Haiti? :lol:
  • Options
    Labour 5,

Farooq said:

Removing TSE then

SNP WIN
    - 500 @biggles
    - 471 @boulay
    - 300 @rottenborough
    - 300 @Luckyguy1983
    TIE
    + 25 @OldKingCole
    + 25 @TimS
    + 250 @Foxy
    + 666 @Omnium
    + 700 @Benpointer
    +1500 @Andy_JS
    +1650 @Pro_Rata
    +2000 @Sunil_Prasannan
    +2048 @Farooq
    +3000 @londonpubman
    +4800 @Heathener
    LABOUR WIN

Labour +3000
    Labour +6000
    Labour 5,000
This discussion has been closed.