Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The London Mayoral race is getting very tight – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,997
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

ON topic - I can distinctly remember sitting in the Groucho Club aged about 27 and across from me was Barry Norman, the then-famous BBC TV movie critc, and he was openly ogling - to the point of drooling obsession - the exposed golden thighs of my then-girlfriend, a hot TV presenter in her own right who was wearing long overknee socks that didn't meet the hem of her summer dress as was then the fashion

Mariella Frostrup?

I would never be so vulgar as to divulge names, but this is Mariella Frostrup at around that time

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Leon said:

I CANNOT believe no one has replied to my comment, which was both germane, and acutely pointed, in the context of the ongoing discussion re the London mayoralty

I was once ogled by Jack Nicholson in a house in Chelsea.

My then boyfriend was propositioned by the Russian painter boyfriend of a well-regarded tax lawyer and art collector (not Jolyon, no) in Pimlico.

Do these count?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,984
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-66934545

"The ex-partner of a man who suffocated their three-month-old daughter said she feels "let down" and scared to learn of his imminent release.

Simon Smith killed baby Lauren in 1994 in Staffordshire. An investigation led to the grim discovery he had also murdered his two other children.

He was convicted of all three murders and jailed for life in 1996.

Lauren's mother Rachel Playfair said the public would be horrified to know a triple murderer was being released.

The Parole Board confirmed it had directed the release of Smith on licence following a hearing."
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

I CANNOT believe no one has replied to my comment, which was both germane, and acutely pointed, in the context of the ongoing discussion re the London mayoralty

My then boyfriend was propositioned by the Russian painter boyfriend of a well-regarded tax lawyer and art collector (not Jolyon, no) in Pimlico.

Do these count?
    Yes, DEFINITELY. Superb!!!

More "ogling of PB-ers and their partners" anecdotes, PLEASE
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,906
    Leon said:

Fucking fucketty fuck

"ChatGPT can now browse the internet to provide you with current and authoritative information, complete with direct links to sources. It is no longer limited to data before September 2021."

here you go

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,634
    Cookie said:

Arbitrary: based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

Hey, I want to set my watch. What time will the race end?

When an unknown horse moving at an unknown speed runs past that stick.

Is that A.M. or P.M. ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Fucking fucketty fuck

"ChatGPT can now browse the internet to provide you with current and authoritative information, complete with direct links to sources. It is no longer limited to data before September 2021."

here you go

*serious voice*

Can you get ChatGPT to respond with realtime info? I can't. So I am unsure of that tweet

But it looks highly authoritative (if you see the full context)

An advanced ChatGPT with access to the internet at every moment, AND voice interaction AND image interaction is perilously close to what the average person would call "proper AI"

This is quite significant
  • Options

You'd be amazed how quick the sales staff at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw.

That’s a handy hint. Thank you. I will try that next time I am in B&Q and can’t find anyone to assist me.
    Talking of B & Q I was using the self check outs, having bought 'Polyfilla' and I was stopped from proceeding pending a staff member's approval

Really, for polyfilla !!!!!
    May be they thought you were going to huff it?

Reminds me of the time I thought about getting into the Russian barbiturates trade…
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,117
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

ON topic - I can distinctly remember sitting in the Groucho Club aged about 27 and across from me was Barry Norman, the then-famous BBC TV movie critc, and he was openly ogling - to the point of drooling obsession - the exposed golden thighs of my then-girlfriend, a hot TV presenter in her own right who was wearing long overknee socks that didn't meet the hem of her summer dress as was then the fashion

Mariella Frostrup?

I would never be so vulgar as to divulge names, but this is Mariella Frostrup at around that time

I choose to make no comment on the oglability of Ms Frostrup, but I do miss the particular fashion you mention.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"The ex-partner of a man who suffocated their three-month-old daughter said she feels "let down" and scared to learn of his imminent release.

Simon Smith killed baby Lauren in 1994 in Staffordshire. An investigation led to the grim discovery he had also murdered his two other children.

Lauren's mother Rachel Playfair said the public would be horrified to know a triple murderer was being released.

The Parole Board confirmed it had directed the release of Smith on licence following a hearing."

Unless we lock 'em up and throw away the key, we shall continue to hear these stories whenever a murderer is released or paroled. Some will say life should mean life, or even death.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

IMO the charity sector is one that is ripe for serious investigation. Some of the big charities behave appallingly - both to their staff and those they are meant to help and emulate some of the worst practices of the corporate world.

Others have poor governance and due diligence and some smaller ones are little better than scams mainly designed to enrich those running them. Yet others are just a racket. I'm not at all convinced they deserve their tax privileges, especially when money is tight as it is now. Frankly, I'd remove them or place an upper limit on what they can claim.

I'd also widen the incidence of VAT. Too many goods and services are exempt.

You don’t know the half of it

• Options
    It looks like ChatGPT does now have realtime access to the internet. Perhaps it is not rolled out everywhere yet?

This is a fairly stunning development

https://x.com/OpenAI/status/1707077710047216095?s=20
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,622
    Leon said:

*serious voice*

Can you get ChatGPT to respond with realtime info? I can't. So I am unsure of that tweet

An advanced ChatGPT with access to the internet at every moment, AND voice interaction AND image interaction is perilously close to what the average person would call "proper AI"

I don't think it really matters if it is a "proper AI" if a significant number of people start to believe that "proper AI" is here. I expect that quite soon the magic will be more than persuasive enough to convince a fair chunk of the population. Computer scientists and philosophers can argue about the true nature of the beast, but the practical effects of a "proper AI" will be upon us either way.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,340
    edited September 2023
    no, I don't want people to start guessing
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,780
    edited September 2023
    My wife had Kevin Spacey try to pick her up as she was in an underground car park in London.

Which somewhat goes against the narrative....

On the narrative, first AD on a movie was desperate to find Spacey to start filming. His Winnebago was locked. Worried something might have happened to him, he found a key and went in. To find Spacey being given a blow-job by some young chap. On discovery, he uttered the great line "It's not how it looks...."
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Cookie said:

Arbitrary: based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

Hey, I want to set my watch. What time will the race end?

When an unknown horse moving at an unknown speed runs past that stick.

Is that A.M. or P.M. ?
    If you know in advance what time the race will end, it ends at an arbitrary point in time. If you don't know, because it is dependent on the outcome of a system e.g. how fast horses will run, that is not an abitrary point.

In any case, you can't race to an arbitrary point in space AND time. That makes no sense. 'First to the entrance to City Hall, Normal, Illinois at 2pm on Halloween 2028 wins!'. Unless you are moving in dimensions most humans don't have access to.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Interesting from the Lib Dems especially if they are in coalition with labour post GE24

Liberal Democrats oppose Labour’s VAT plan for private schools in fresh dividing line between parties

September 27, 2023 4:25 pm(Updated 6:32 pm)

The Liberal Democrats have opened a fresh dividing line with Labour by speaking out against the party’s policy of imposing VAT on private schools.

Sir Keir Starmer has suggested that the new levy on school fees will be one of his top priorities if he wins the next general election.

As i revealed this week, Labour intends to introduce the policy as soon as it takes power – raising the prospect that it would take effect as soon as next academic year.

But the Lib Dems said they opposed the policy, although they would support a review of charitable status among schools due to fears that some do little to help their local area.

A spokesman said: “The Liberal Democrats do not support ending the VAT exemption. We do think some private schools benefit from lower taxes due to charitable status even though they perform almost no charitable act on behalf of the community – so charitable status does need to be reviewed so that it only rewards schools that do real community work.”

Surely we established per adventure in 2010 that the Lib Dems would sell their granny into the sex trade for a whiff of political office?
    You've got to wonder about their coalition partner if that's their price, though.

I think it depends on the granny
    If you are lucky she could be in her early 30s…
  • Options
    glw said:

Leon said:

*serious voice*

I don't think it really matters if it is a "proper AI" if a significant number of people start to believe that "proper AI" is here. I expect that quite soon the magic will be more than persuasive enough to convince a fair chunk of the population. Computer scientists and philosophers can argue about the true nature of the beast, but the practical effects of a "proper AI" will be upon us either way.
    That is EXACTLY right, as I have beem arguing on here for about 3 years

This is the hidden genius of the Turing Test, it doesn't matter about actual reality, it is what we perceive - in the end that is all that counts
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Do these count?
    Yes, DEFINITELY. Superb!!!

More "ogling of PB-ers and their partners" anecdotes, PLEASE
    Is that a ChatGPT prompt?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Cyclefree said:

IMO the charity sector is one that is ripe for serious investigation. Some of the big charities behave appallingly - both to their staff and those they are meant to help and emulate some of the worst practices of the corporate world.

Others have poor governance and due diligence and some smaller ones are little better than scams mainly designed to enrich those running them. Yet others are just a racket. I'm not at all convinced they deserve their tax privileges, especially when money is tight as it is now. Frankly, I'd remove them or place an upper limit on what they can claim.

Time for us to have lunch then .....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,539
    edited September 2023

Andy_JS said:

Unless we lock 'em up and throw away the key, we shall continue to hear these stories whenever a murderer is released or paroled. Some will say life should mean life, or even death.
    For these type of cases it would now be a whole life term if sentenced in the present day.

Since the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act was passed by this Conservative government last year, premeditated murder of a child means judges must give an automatic whole life term order
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,780
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Do these count?
    Angelica Huston tells a story of when she was with Jack, walking down the Croisette at Cannes. A French cutie on a motorbike pulled up next to him, inviting him to hop on. Which he did.

He turned up at their hotel suite two days later, saying "Jack's been a bad boy..." He put down a package on the bed.

It was an original Chagall.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,634
    Cookie said:

In any case, you can't race to an arbitrary point in space AND time.

You race to an arbitrary point in space which happens at an arbitrary point in time.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Cookie said:

You race to an arbitrary point in space which happens at an arbitrary point in time.
    It may start at an arbitrary point in time but the point in time when the race finishes isn't arbitrary, it is the result of the outcome of a system. Otherwise you're applying the word 'arbitrary' to literally everything.
  • Options

My wife had Kevin Spacey try to pick her up as she was in an underground carp park in London.

On the narrative, first AD on a movie was desperate to find Spacey to start filming. His Winnebago was locked. Worried something might have happened to him, he found a key and went in. To find Spacey being given a blow-job by some young chap. On discovery, he uttered the great line "It's not how it looks...."

To contraflow the narrative, in my mid 20s I was at a high-falutin' charity ball at the Savoy, and I tried to seduce Joanna Lumley

She was basically 20 years older than me at the time

I chatted her up and she laughed, and I actually thought I was getting somewhere, so I proposed to rent us a room in the hotel for the night,, and - I like to think - she paused for a moment, but maybe she didn't,.... anyway then she smiled, and she said "I am awfully flattered, but I am old enough to be your mother, so I shall regretfully decline"

True story. I have never, before or since, been rebuffed with such charm and grace
  • Options
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Mariella Frostrup?

She actually looked OK back then.
  • Options

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Mariella Frostrup?

She actually looked OK back then.
    Yeah. You know: tolerable. You would, at a pinch. If forced. Etc
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,553
    Scott_xP said:

Cookie said:

Do you switch?
  • Options
    Leon said:

My wife had Kevin Spacey try to pick her up as she was in an underground carp park in London.

To contraflow the narrative, in my mid 20s I was at a high-falutin' charity ball at the Savoy, and I tried to seduce Joanna Lumley

I chatted her up and she laughed, and I actually thought I was getting somewhere, so I proposed to rent us a room in the hotel for the night,, and - I like to think - she paused for a moment, but maybe she didn't,.... anyway then she smiled, and she said "I am awfully flattered, but I am old enough to be your mother, so I shall regretfully decline"

True story. I have never, before or since, been rebuffed with such charm and grace
    Ah, Joanna. What a class act. I would be slightly sad if that story had finished any other way.
    You should have steered her onto the topic of why FPTP would be better termed SMPV, segueing into a surprisingly tetchy conversation about the meaning of the word 'abitrary'. That's my idea of a good evening. I cannot imagine a world in which that would have failed to charm her.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,553
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Ah, Joanna. What a class act. I would be slightly sad if that story had finished any other way.
    You should have steered her onto the topic of why FPTP would be better termed SMPV, segueing into a surprisingly tetchy conversation about the meaning of the word 'abitrary'. That's my idea of a good evening. I cannot imagine a world in which that would have failed to charm her.
    She’s only human. The poor woman would have been putty in your hands.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Walked behind Joanna Lumley near the BBC a few months ago one evening and a hen party in a taxi stopped hysterical and screamed for a photo, which she politely and classily obliged
  • Options

North American loons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loon

There's a fine depiction of one opposite QE 2 on the Canadian dollar coin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loonie

Divers!
  • Options

Leon said:

How many years older than you is she now?
    At least 30

In my mind
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Mariella Frostrup used to present The Little Picture Show on ITV IIRC. Used to watch that. Late night TV in the 90s.
  • Options
    Right. I'm going to withdraw to the arbitrary location of the hot tub in my suburban back garden to consider the enormity of the universe.
    (It's just an inflatable one. I'm not some plutocrat.)
    G'night all.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,142

North American loons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loon

There's a fine depiction of one opposite QE 2 on the Canadian dollar coin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loonie

Divers!
    Hearing the sound of Gavia Arctica in the summer means you have arrived in "The North".

Sadly now polluted in some places by people razzing along the NC500.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/black-throated-diver/

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,130
    HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Walked behind Joanna Lumley near the BBC a few months ago one evening and a hen party in a taxi stopped hysterical and screamed for a photo, which she politely and classily obliged
    I remember walking by the blessed Jacqueline Pearce while a gaggle of Blakes 7 fans tried very badly to discreetly stalk her. Exchanged a faint nod with her and moved on. She was a class act in many senses,

RIP.
  • Options
    "‘Bond Street’ renamed ‘Burberry Street’ – what were TfL thinking?

On the Jubilee line, I was asked by a worried looking older gentleman when he should get out for Bond Street, three stops after we’d passed it, writes Olivia Utley. And from the gaggles of baffled looking tourists I’ve spotted, he’s not the only one confused…"

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/bond-street-burberry-street-tfl-london-fashion-week-b2414224.html
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,472
    Leon said:

She acted that out in The Wolf of Wall Street, where Jordan Belfort, who’s married to her niece, tries to seduce her. She’s flattered, but … no.
  • Options
    Matt Hancock appears to have made another attempt at rehabilitating himself through the medium of reality TV, but it isn’t going very well:

https://x.com/stuartharriso10/status/1706779088675897601
  • Options
    Leon said:

It looks like ChatGPT does now have realtime access to the internet. Perhaps it is not rolled out everywhere yet?

You do realise it's "My data cutoff is September 2021" is fake, right? That's just a hidden sub-prompt added by OpenAI. Rumoured to be so that other AI companies can't use GPT4 to improve their own models.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Mariella Frostrup used to present The Little Picture Show on ITV IIRC. Used to watch that. Late night TV in the 90s.

If that's the "reviewing dirty VHS's" programme of my teenage years - then yes. Until I googled her now I had no Idea she was now a Guardian person.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    'Blair and Brown still rule Britain. Rishi Sunak's only hope is to crush them.
    His moves on net zero, HS2 and migration mark the first repudiation of continuity New Labour'
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/09/27/blair-brown-consensus-rules-britain-sunak-crush-it/
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

You do realise it's "My data cutoff is September 2021" is fake, right? That's just a hidden sub-prompt added by OpenAI. Rumoured to be so that other AI companies can't use GPT4 to improve their own models.
    Just to add - I've had it happily answer programming questions about post 2023 things related to OpenAI for months now. There is *is* is little bit of the "I understand A == B, but not that B == A" going on. But that's one for the compsci/transformer specialists to figure out.

In the meantime - heading bedwards and a bit of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWZYOLc2eCk
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Andy_JS said:

If that's the "reviewing dirty VHS's" programme of my teenage years - then yes. Until I googled her now I had no Idea she was now a Guardian person.
    And apparently some ex-PBer was tupping her in her mid-20s, around that time

Fie on him

• Options
    edited September 2023
    'A' BRITISH Airways pilot snorted coke off a woman’s bare breasts before trying to fly a packed jet to the UK.

Married Mike Beaton, of Devon, boasted of his drug and drink orgy to a stewardess friend, admitting: “I’ve been a very naughty boy.”The appalled pal reported him to bosses who cancelled last month’s flight from Johannesburg to London, then drug-tested and sacked him.'
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/24155861/british-airways-pilot-snorts-coke-naked-woman-fly-plane/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

His moves on net zero, HS2 and migration mark the first repudiation of continuity New Labour'
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/09/27/blair-brown-consensus-rules-britain-sunak-crush-it/

Allister Heath is unwell.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,816
    HYUFD said:

Minimum wage next?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"‘Bond Street’ renamed ‘Burberry Street’ – what were TfL thinking?

On the Jubilee line, I was asked by a worried looking older gentleman when he should get out for Bond Street, three stops after we’d passed it, writes Olivia Utley. And from the gaggles of baffled looking tourists I’ve spotted, he’s not the only one confused…"

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/bond-street-burberry-street-tfl-london-fashion-week-b2414224.html

Chav nation.

The whole of the UK to be renamed Stone Island.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

HYUFD said:

He really goes for Blair and Brown and Cameron, May and even Boris here. Yet seems to be warming to Rishi.

'The fashionable attempts at rehabilitating Blair are absurd. The Left has been a disaster whenever it has been in office, and would be so again if it wins next year. The moribund NHS, probably the worst health system in the Western world, and our inane, anti-housebuilding planning system, were dreamt up by Old Labour. Woke, neo-Marcusian ideology was first promoted by Labour governments, starting in the 1960s. Most of the other pathologies plaguing Britain can be traced to New Labour, though the Tories are now just as much to blame: instead of fixing the problems they inherited, they made them worse, out of cowardice and incompetence. Tory MPs have been in office, but Labour ideas have been in power.

Take our weak economic growth, dragged down by tax, regulation, a destructive monetary policy and insufficient investment: the slowdown began in 2005, even before the financial crisis, but the Tories have pushed more of the same anti-free market policies. Or consider the problems created by defective, one-sided devolution, from Ulez and handouts from England to the SNP to 20mph speed limits in Wales and the uselessness of the Met Police....

In the rare cases where David Cameron and George Osborne sought to break with Labour, they picked the wrong battles: austerity turned out to be a reversible damp squib. The state was salami-sliced, rather than reengineered and privatised, and in some cases the wrong projects were cut. Theresa May was to the Left of Blair, and Boris Johnson turned out to be a tax-and-spend social democrat and net zero radical who couldn’t even successfully oppose endless lockdowns.

Brexit was the greatest wasted opportunity of all: it was the ultimate thumbs down to the Blair project, a grassroots revolution against the failed cross-party consensus, a repudiation of much of what Blair, Brown, Cameron and Osborne stood for. Yet it was largely neutered by foot-dragging Tories and, after he finally extracted us from the EU, by Johnson’s unwillingness to drastically remake our economy, welfare state and machinery of state. His successor, Liz Truss, a woman genuinely committed to breaking with the Blairite orthodoxy, was immediately destroyed by it.

Yet there is a glimmer of hope again. Rishi Sunak started off poorly but appears to have had a change of heart. His first radical intervention, in defiance of the spirit of devolution, was when he torpedoed Nicola Sturgeon’s awful plan to allow gender self-recognition. He then pledged to reverse the assault on cars, including Low Traffic Neighbourhoods, a centre-piece of the technocratic consensus. The real fightback started earlier this month when he watered down many of the more extreme net zero proposals, until now a taboo subject, before signing off on more North Sea oil. These were all excellent moves.'
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Time for us to have lunch then .....
    Always a pleasure. Send me an email and we can figure something out
  • Options
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Andy_JS said:

Fie on him

I used to have a similar picture signed "Dave Prowse **IS** Darth Vader!!!!" after I expressed disbelief when he stayed at a local hotel.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If you're a left-winger you won't like his columns.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

If you're a left-winger you won't like his columns.
    I absolutely love his columns. Hilarious.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,564
    edited September 2023
    Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Minimum wage next?
    Smoking in pubs.

No other Blair-era change has even come close as to that effect on my life.

Seems to be forgotten.

A total transformation.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Andy_JS said:

Fie on him

I used to have a similar picture signed "Dave Prowse **IS** Darth Vader!!!!" after I expressed disbelief when he stayed at a local hotel.
    She reminds me of my fav girl Marianne Faithful in her younger days 😘
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,472
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He really goes for Blair and Brown and Cameron, May and even Boris here. Yet seems to be warming to Rishi.

'The fashionable attempts at rehabilitating Blair are absurd. The Left has been a disaster whenever it has been in office, and would be so again if it wins next year. The moribund NHS, probably the worst health system in the Western world, and our inane, anti-housebuilding planning system, were dreamt up by Old Labour. Woke, neo-Marcusian ideology was first promoted by Labour governments, starting in the 1960s. Most of the other pathologies plaguing Britain can be traced to New Labour, though the Tories are now just as much to blame: instead of fixing the problems they inherited, they made them worse, out of cowardice and incompetence. Tory MPs have been in office, but Labour ideas have been in power.

Take our weak economic growth, dragged down by tax, regulation, a destructive monetary policy and insufficient investment: the slowdown began in 2005, even before the financial crisis, but the Tories have pushed more of the same anti-free market policies. Or consider the problems created by defective, one-sided devolution, from Ulez and handouts from England to the SNP to 20mph speed limits in Wales and the uselessness of the Met Police....

In the rare cases where David Cameron and George Osborne sought to break with Labour, they picked the wrong battles: austerity turned out to be a reversible damp squib. The state was salami-sliced, rather than reengineered and privatised, and in some cases the wrong projects were cut. Theresa May was to the Left of Blair, and Boris Johnson turned out to be a tax-and-spend social democrat and net zero radical who couldn’t even successfully oppose endless lockdowns.

Brexit was the greatest wasted opportunity of all: it was the ultimate thumbs down to the Blair project, a grassroots revolution against the failed cross-party consensus, a repudiation of much of what Blair, Brown, Cameron and Osborne stood for. Yet it was largely neutered by foot-dragging Tories and, after he finally extracted us from the EU, by Johnson’s unwillingness to drastically remake our economy, welfare state and machinery of state. His successor, Liz Truss, a woman genuinely committed to breaking with the Blairite orthodoxy, was immediately destroyed by it.

Yet there is a glimmer of hope again. Rishi Sunak started off poorly but appears to have had a change of heart. His first radical intervention, in defiance of the spirit of devolution, was when he torpedoed Nicola Sturgeon’s awful plan to allow gender self-recognition. He then pledged to reverse the assault on cars, including Low Traffic Neighbourhoods, a centre-piece of the technocratic consensus. The real fightback started earlier this month when he watered down many of the more extreme net zero proposals, until now a taboo subject, before signing off on more North Sea oil. These were all excellent moves.'
    Liz Truss was destroyed by her own ineptitude.

I have some sympathy with the rest, although it strikes me that no one really, whether left or right wing, pro- or anti-EU, thinks our system is satisfactory.

Brexit could have been a break from this, but I put a lot of blame on Boris and the ERG for spending three years bloviating, and posturing, rather than getting the thing done.

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,497
    edited September 2023
    I see no 10 are now resorting to threatening the ECHR .

Yes of course we can trust the Tories to enshrine our rights ! With the Mary Poppins of today Braverman we surely will be basking in more rights than ever before ! Whats to fear !!!

In their scorched earth policy security co-operation with the EU goes , the Good Friday Agreement is breached and the UK ends up in the company of Russia and Belarus .

What sort of message does leaving the ECHR send to the rest of the world and other European countries especially at this time .

• Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Andy_JS said:

Fie on him

One of the truly great beauties of her age

EXISTENTIAL SIGH
  • Options

Matt Hancock appears to have made another attempt at rehabilitating himself through the medium of reality TV, but it isn’t going very well:

https://x.com/stuartharriso10/status/1706779088675897601

Haven't the SAS suffered enough?
  • Options
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Andy_JS said:

Fie on him

One of the truly great beauties of her age

EXISTENTIAL SIGH
    Is this still Chat-GPT output?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Yes of course we can trust the Tories to enshrine our rights ! With the Mary Poppins of today Braverman we surely will be basking in more rights than ever before ! Whats to fear !!!

In their scorched earth policy security co-operation with the EU goes , the Good Friday Agreement is breached and the UK ends up in the company of Russia and Belarus .

What sort of message does leaving the ECHR send to the rest of the world and other European countries especially at this time .

It says: We are now Sovereign, and, usefully, Fuck Off You Left Lawyer Wankers

The EHCR is bullshit we do not need. THIS IS ENGLAND
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,538
    nico679 said:

How does the rest of the world manage without the ECHR? Are they all heathens?
  • Options
    @itvpeston
    “I have huge admiration for Elton John”

Home Secretary
    @SuellaBraverman
    responds to criticisms of her remarks about gay asylum seekers from the legendary pop icon, before doubling down on her claims
  • Options
    @itvpeston
    🚨NEW

Nearly half (49%) of 18-25 year olds describe themselves as 'woke', according to our #ITVYouthTracker

Just 33% say they are 'radical'

Young people ranked themselves on a scale of 0-10, where 10 is 'describes me very strongly'
    https://x.com/itvpeston/status/1707148389576565135?s=20
  • Options
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

So you trust the Tories with your rights . You really are deluded .
  • Options
    "The pace and scale of migration over recent years has been too much."

The 7th Tory Home Secretary in 13 years of conservative government tells Peston.

• Options
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

So you trust the Tories with your rights . You
    really are deluded .
    Surely as a democrat you need to put your faith in the electorate?

Relying on a foreign body to overrule the votes of the British electorate… hmmh…
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    It seems almost unbelievable that a candidate like Susan Hall could win a mayoral election in London in 2024, even under FPTP.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

nico679 said:

The rest of the world aren’t in Europe ! The rest of the world don’t have the Good Friday Agreement . Sections of the EU UK trade and co -operation deal is predicated on the parties remaining in the ECHR .

And don’t you think the timing is somewhat unfortunate given the Ukraine war ? And the UK lecturing others on democracy when it pulls out of the ECHR.

The USA and Japan aren’t pulling out of anything . You seem to be missing the point that it would be a big deal if they were pulling out of the UN refugee convention . Withdrawing from any human rights organization isn’t a good look and why anyone would trust the Tories to protect their rights is beyond me .
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Threatening to leave the ECHR is silly distraction tactics - it cannot really be done without an electoral mandate, so it can't be used to help with the boats now.

We didn't let prisoners vote when the ECHR ruled that we must - there was a fudge. I am sure a fudge can be found to get Rwanda done.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

really are deluded .

Relying on a foreign body to overrule the votes of the British electorate… hmmh…
    Another who is missing the point . The whole point of the ECHR is to protect citizens from their own government, it has to be a Supra national organization.

And where exactly is it over ruling votes . Did the Tories have the Stop the boats in their last election manifesto in 2019. If they want to leave the ECHR they should put it to a referendum then .

• Options
    edited September 2023
    nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

The rest of the world aren’t in Europe ! The rest of the world don’t have the Good Friday Agreement . Sections of the EU UK trade and co -operation deal is predicated on the parties remaining in the ECHR .

And don’t you think the timing is somewhat unfortunate given the Ukraine war ? And the UK lecturing others on democracy when it pulls out of the ECHR.

The USA and Japan aren’t pulling out of anything . You seem to be missing the point that it would be a big deal if they were pulling out of the UN refugee convention . Withdrawing from any human rights organization isn’t a good look and why anyone would trust the Tories to protect their rights is beyond me .
    You're mistaking change for status. Yes, withdrawing from something perceived as humane looks bad PR wise, but it's actually no different from not joining it in the first place. Better to concentrate on facts, not PR.

A remainer friend of mine maintains that leaving the EU is morally worse than declining to join it. I see his point, but disagree.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,859
    carnforth said:

nico679 said:

When you consider that many countries around the world are absolutely appalling, the answer may well be "yes"
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

really are deluded .

Another who is missing the point . The whole point of the ECHR is to protect citizens from their own government, it has to be a Supra national organization.

And where exactly is it over ruling votes . Did the Tories have the Stop the boats in their last election manifesto in 2019. If they want to leave the ECHR they should put it to a referendum then .

A supreme court with a written constitution, a la USA, also protects its citizen's rights. I don't see why it has to be supranational.
  • Options
    Laurence Fox
    @LozzaFox
    Just so we are clear.

I would rather scrub toilets for the rest of my days and retain my dignity.

Than shill for cash and opportunity, only to compromise absolutely everything which really matters in life.

I’ve made many millions over the years and I gave them up to fight a battle I didn’t want to fight.

So if you think that some half baked pile on is going to stop me.

Think again.

I am truly free.

euroloo
    @euroloo
    ·
    1h
    We’ve a service driver vacancy @euroloo
    so can sort you out with the toilet scrubbing position no problem Laurence 🧼🚽😎
  • Options
    carnforth said:

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

You're mistaking change for status. Yes, withdrawing from something perceived as humane looks bad PR wise, but it's actually no different from not joining it in the first place. Better to concentrate on facts, not PR.
    Not joining it in the first place is quite a different matter . The act of withdrawing now would surely embolden regimes and ruin any moral authority the UK has to lecture others on democracy and rights .

And it’s the flippancy that the media seem to use when talking about this . NI was ignored during the EU ref and we can see how that ended up causing huge problems . The GFA relies on the ECHR . EU security co-operation and deportation requirements will be problems if the UK leaves the ECHR .
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

really are deluded .

And where exactly is it over ruling votes . Did the Tories have the Stop the boats in their last election manifesto in 2019. If they want to leave the ECHR they should put it to
    a referendum then .

The background of many of the judges is murky, to say the least.

If our politicians, democratically elected, want to do something they should be allowed to and then face the consequences

• Options

Laurence Fox
    @LozzaFox
    Just so we are clear.

Than shill for cash and opportunity, only to compromise absolutely everything which really matters in life.

I’ve made many millions over the years and I gave them up to fight a battle I didn’t want to fight.

Think again.

I am truly free.

euroloo
    @euroloo
    ·
    1h

What a martyr . He’s clearly mentally unwell and needs an intervention as he soon will be saying he’s the next coming of Christ .
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,233
    edited September 2023
    nico679 said:

Laurence Fox
    @LozzaFox
    Just so we are clear.

Think again.

I am truly free.

euroloo
    @euroloo
    ·
    1h

What a martyr . He’s clearly mentally unwell and needs an intervention as he soon will be saying he’s the next coming of Christ .
    My guess is too much booze and Coke...

GB news are doing him a favour taking him off air. If he doesn't sort himself out soon it's not going to end well...
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Laurence Fox
    @LozzaFox
    Just so we are clear.

Think again.

I am truly free.

euroloo
    @euroloo
    ·
    1h

It's a shame. He clearly has no one to sit him down for an intervention.

He was decent in Lewis. And pretty cute.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

really are deluded .

A supreme court with a written constitution, a la USA, also protects its citizen's rights. I don't see why it has to be supranational.
    The US constitution sadly does not protect its citizens . To do that requires help from GOP states who don’t want more rights for Americans .

I’d advise you to look at some of the key ECHR rulings effecting the UK which have been brought by Brits. Of course the right wing papers will ignore this as it doesn’t fit their agenda . You are aware I take it that the Tories only a few years back wanted the power to ignore judges rulings they didn’t agree with in the area of judicial reviews . The current incarnation of the Tories are very far from being relied on to guarantee our rights .
  • Options
    nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

Not joining it in the first place is quite a different matter . The act of withdrawing now would surely embolden regimes and ruin any moral authority the UK has to lecture others on democracy and rights .

And it’s the flippancy that the media seem to use when talking about this . NI was ignored during the EU ref and we can see how that ended up causing huge problems . The GFA
    relies on the ECHR . EU security co-operation and deportation requirements will be problems if the UK leaves the ECHR .
    You see? You’re capable of making good arguments when you try
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,331
    nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

really are deluded .

The US constitution sadly does not protect its citizens . To do that requires help from GOP states who don’t want more rights for Americans .

I’d advise you to look at some of the key ECHR rulings effecting the UK which have been brought by Brits. Of course the right wing papers will ignore this as it doesn’t fit their agenda . You are aware I take it that the Tories only a few years back wanted the power to ignore judges rulings they didn’t agree with in the area of judicial reviews . The current incarnation of the Tories are very far from being relied on to guarantee our rights .
    Why can’t judges in the UK rule on such issues?
  • Options

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

And it’s the flippancy that the media seem to use when talking about this . NI was ignored during the EU ref and we can see how that ended up causing huge problems . The GFA
    relies on the ECHR . EU security co-operation and deportation requirements will be problems if the UK leaves the ECHR .
    You see? You’re capable of making good arguments when you try
    I got there in the end !
  • Options
    nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

really are deluded .

Being willing to live under a court because you agree, politically or morally, with the majority of its recent rulings is silly. It's about systems, not incumbents. Your feelings towards the ECHR should not change based on who is or is not in power in the UK at a given time.

You have more of a point about the US, whose supreme court is nakedly political. But the UK supreme court isn't.
  • Options
    The American political system is a failure at the moment. The vast majority of voters want different candidates than Biden and Trump but that's what they're likely to end up with.
  • Options
    RobD said:

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

really are deluded .

I have a lot of faith in UK judges . Thankfully we don’t have an overtly politicized judiciary like the USA . The problem is the judges will refer to any future rights legislation as their framework to decide cases . So if you have a Tory administration framing those rights the judges will be bound by that .

It’s very hard to argue against any of the rights within the ECHR . I’d be surprised if a single member of the public would find issue . Rights are there to protect everyone even if we don’t think those people warrant them . If we cherry pick who can have certain rights then it’s a slippery slope .
  • Options
    My view of the ECHR would be the same even if Labour was in government . We need protection when governments cross the line . Indeed I think the ruling which stopped husbands and wives from being separated if they had to go into care was brought against a Labour government .
  • Options
    nico679 said:

My view of the ECHR would be the same even if Labour was in government . We need protection when governments cross the line . Indeed I think the ruling which stopped husbands and wives from being separated if they had to go into care was brought against a Labour government .

So you wouldn't object to the ECHR being repatriated, included into UK law, and ruled on by UK judges? Because that's the most likely form "withdrawal from the ECHR" would actually take.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

really are deluded .

I have a lot of faith in UK judges . Thankfully we don’t have an overtly politicized judiciary like the USA . The problem is the judges will refer to any future rights legislation as their framework to decide cases . So if you have a Tory administration framing those rights the judges will be bound by that .

It’s very hard to argue against any of the rights within the ECHR . I’d be surprised if a single member of the public would find issue . Rights are there to protect everyone even if we don’t think those people warrant them . If we cherry pick who can have certain rights then it’s a slippery slope .
    The majority of the public support the death penalty for child killers and mass murderers which is now against the ECHR.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

nico679 said:

So you wouldn't object to the ECHR being repatriated, included into UK law, and ruled on by UK judges? Because that's the most likely form "withdrawal from the ECHR" would actually take.
    The Tories won’t do that because their issue is with Article 3 of the convention .

“No one shall be subjected to torture or to inhumane or degrading treatment or punishment “.

They won’t repatriate the current convention in full .

If the SC find against the government it will be a breach of that.
  • Options
    "Jacinta Allan named as new premier of Victoria

Labor MPs appoint Daniel Andrews’ deputy to replace him, making her the state’s first female premier in three decades"

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/sep/27/new-premier-victoria-jacinta-allan-daniel-andrews-resignation-labor
  • Options

nico679 said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

really are deluded .

The majority of the public support the death penalty for child killers and mass murderers which is now against the ECHR.
    Civilized countries don’t execute people . It’s not even a deterrent highlighted by the USA . We should also think of those executed who were later found to be innocent. The execution of one innocent person is one person too many IMO.

Sadly the majority of the public allow their buttons to be pressed and don’t think of unintended consequences. Many just repeat what they’ve been spoon fed by the right wing media .

Forums like this where we discuss things in detail are a rarity.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

really are deluded .

Civilized countries don’t execute people . It’s not even a deterrent highlighted by the USA . We should also think of those executed who were later found to be innocent. The execution of one innocent person is one person too many IMO.

Sadly the majority of the public allow their buttons to be pressed and don’t think of unintended consequences. Many just repeat what they’ve been spoon fed by the right wing media .

Singapore is a civilised country and it's hard to argue that their use of the death penalty hasn't worked as a deterrent against drug smuggling.

The 'one innocent person is too many' argument could be applied against lots of things that we approve of.
  • Options

Laurence Fox
    @LozzaFox
    Just so we are clear.

Think again.

I am truly free.

euroloo
    @euroloo
    ·
    1h

Dear Mr Fox,

I think it may be a little late for your dignity.

Best regards,
    The Internet
  • Options

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

really are deluded .

Singapore is a civilised country and it's hard to argue that their use of the death penalty hasn't worked as a deterrent against drug smuggling.

The 'one innocent person is too many' argument could be applied against lots of things that we approve of.
    Sure.

And I have no doubt that is we introduced the death penalty for littering, it would be pretty effective at limiting littering.

Unfortunately, it would also result in juries finding guilty people innocent, because they would feel the punishment was excessive for the crime. The three strikes law in California being a classic example of this.
This discussion has been closed.