Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

There is a logic in Sunak’s green gamble – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,018
    TimS said:

Anyway, speaking of Griffin..

Well done the people of Sheringham.

Unlike Cromer, Sheringham is a really nice resort. I'm off there this weekend, and will make sure I buy some extra bagels whilst there.
    Sheringham is indeed pleasant, with more than an element of Walmington on Sea about it. It's no surprise they decided to have a 1940s festival as it's very on brand... as is the fact they commendably did a Captain Mainwaring on the idiots who tried to spoil it.

Cromer, like many seaside towns around the UK, jumped all in on the mass holiday resort bandwagon, got absolutely hammered when the package holiday came in, and has never really recovered. Sheringham has always had a tourist trade, but smaller scale and sold as more genteel, so they weren't hit nearly as hard.
    Funny word genteel, only seen in one context which is classy old resorts.
    And chivalrous Congers.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,893
    viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Why is Caroline Dineage MP trending in the US overnight?

I’m not sure what to think of this one, apparently genuine letter written to Rumble’s CEO in the US, from the head of the Culture, Media, and Sport Committee, coming very close to suggesting that Rumble should be demonetising Russell Brand - not for anything he’s posted on their site, but just because he’s a bad person.

The Rumble CEO published the letter, and a quite forthright reply about freedom of speech.

https://x.com/rumblevideo/status/1704584929026216118?s=61

Comments underneath very supportive of Rumble.

It's not just the alt-right. Freedom of speech matters to Americans, whereas here it is just a slogan wheeled out from time to time when convenient in the land of draconian libel laws, super-injunctions and now this. First Amendment and all that.
    Oh indeed, freedom of speech is quite literally written in their Constitution, and is taken much more seriously over there by everyone.

There’s a running theme on this subject through a lot of American discussion, mainly but not exclusively on the right and among libertarians, that social media platforms are trying to censor certain viewpoints ahead of the election next year.

Youtube especially is in the firing line, with their seemingly arbitrary demonetisation, shadow banning, and banning of accounts with little recourse. It was said to be one of the reasons behind Elon Musk’s purchase of Twitter, and documents released by that company showed conversations with governments - including the US government - around certain specific accounts, as Rumble have released today.

Rumble was deliberately set up to be resistant to censorship, hosting their own servers and payment processing, and designed as web-first rather than app-first. Freedom of speech is their philosophy.

Obviously, it goes without saying that the likes of Russell Brand and Andrew Tate are horrible human beings, but that doesn’t mean they can’t earn a living while they still have their liberty.
    The Constitutional protection around free speech applies to government action. It has no impact on what a social media company can do. It does not apply to the actions of Rumble. Rumble routinely blocks material from its platform.
    Ah. That kind of free speech.
    Gab criticised Rumble for banning antisemitism (material that is constitutionally protected free speech). Or, as Slate put it, "The Far-Right Twitter Clone Is Mad at the Far-Right YouTube Clone for Signing Up Donald Trump", https://slate.com/technology/2021/06/donald-trump-rally-rumble-gab-parler.html
  • Options
    Stocky said:

BOE interest rate decision today and most commentators do not know if another increase will happen

I hope I'm wrong but despite inflation coming down I think there will be another rise.
    Seems the decision is on a knife edge
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014
    edited September 2023

Stocky said:

BOE interest rate decision today and most commentators do not know if another increase will happen

I hope I'm wrong but despite inflation coming down I think there will be another rise.
    Seems the decision is on a knife edge
    I think there will be a vote for a rate rise but it won't be 7-2. 5-4 I think. Could be worth a final rise just to suffocate the UK economy the current inflation.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,202

HYUFD said:

I think we need to shoot every dog in the country.

Driver rams dog with car to stop attack

A driver used his car to ram a mastiff-type dog as it attacked a dog walker and dragged him into the road.

Video showed the man being set upon by a large brown dog next to a busy road in Sheffield while he held on to his smaller pet, trying to keep it out of reach. As the dog tried to pull him into the road, a passing motorist mounted the pavement and struck the animal with the car bonnet.

Armed police were called to the Handsworth area on Tuesday and eventually managed to restrain the dog and seize it. The man was left with serious injuries to his arm and was taken to hospital. South Yorkshire police said that a 53-year-old man from the city had been arrested on suspicion of having a dangerous dog out of control and remained in custody.

The dog was believed to live at a nearby property and is said to have jumped over a wall before pouncing on the passer-by.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/driver-rams-dog-with-car-to-stop-attack-xr57cm9pg

Dachshunds and poodles aren't the problem
    Tough.
    Why not ban all pets except poodles and goldfish and hamsters just to be on the safe side?
  • Options

Unlike Cromer, Sheringham is a really nice resort. I'm off there this weekend, and will make sure I buy some extra bagels whilst there.
    Sheringham is indeed pleasant, with more than an element of Walmington on Sea about it. It's no surprise they decided to have a 1940s festival as it's very on brand... as is the fact they commendably did a Captain Mainwaring on the idiots who tried to spoil it.

Cromer, like many seaside towns around the UK, jumped all in on the mass holiday resort bandwagon, got absolutely hammered when the package holiday came in, and has never really recovered. Sheringham has always had a tourist trade, but smaller scale and sold as more genteel, so they weren't hit nearly as hard.
    Sheringham is also at one end of the North Norfolk Railway. That's the main reason I went there, but found the town very pleasant. Holt, at the other end of the railway, is also worth a visit.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Also, there's a lot of confected outrage about this - the EU adopted a similar 2035 target six months ago and voices were rather quieter about that.

I suspect there is a rationale in simply not putting the UK at a comparative disadvantage. HMG will have access to investment data.

I went back to the time the EU announced that, your fellow Brexiteers on here were extolling the decision as a Brexit benefit giving the UK a competitive advantage over the sclerotic EU.

But I am glad you are seeing the wisdom of aligning ourselves with the EU, you'll be campaigning for Rejoin in the next referendum, mark my words.
    On the flip side it's amusing how it's remainers in the main that are frothing at the mouth over EU alignment on environment policy
    I shall admit I don't have the technical or industry knowledge to really know whether 2030 or 2035 is a good thing or not. I suspect it makes less difference to both household finances and the environment than either "side" would like to admit.

In terms of politics however, it is a massive sign of weakness to do this two days after your laughing stock predecessor insists you do it.

And in terms of UK investment and preventing our managed decline, it is a massive error and another sign of weakness to commit to a major car manufacturer on a long term framework one week and then u-turn straight away.
    There are few votes for investment in this country.

What people want are more handouts and lower prices.

With smaller, more fanatical, groups who want ever higher NHS spending and ever higher house prices.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

The current UK market share of 100% ICE passenger cars is now 40%.

Does anybody want to hazard a guess at what it will be in 7 years?

This measure makes Sunak look like a fucking idiot to everbody except those who didn't understand the policy in the first place. Which I suppose is the point.

The UK share of ICE-only cars is 40%?

That means there’s 16m ICE-only cars, and 24m hybrid and electric cars?

Or do you mean the share of *NEW* ICE-only cars is only 40%?
    August from the SMMT:

So conventionally fueled vehicles are already less than half the market, and shrinking.

Though as I understood it is only EV and PHEV vehicles that were exempt from the 2030 ban, not all hybrids, so 27.8% of August sales meet the old 2030 target.

It is true that conventionally fueled vehicles are less than half the market and shrinking, but private buyers are still reluctant to make the switch. The growth in non-ICE cars is driven by fleet sales. Also, as you say, it isn't just ICE cars that would be banned. New cars that meet the target are a minority of sales.
    You make an interesting point that EV sales are being driven by fleet sales

Do you know the percentage v private sales?
    Apparently 66.7% ev sales were fleet as of Jan 23
    Presumably these will all cascade into the second hand market over the next 3 years.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

A lot of support for the PM from the commentariat, at least in certain papers.

DT online front page:

With the Leading Article describing the decision as “Commendable”
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2023/09/20/rishi-sunak-net-zero-shift-commendable/

The furious blob. Thirteen years and still blaming The Blob.
    To be fair to Allister Heath, he’s talking about the wider cultural Establishment, rather than the Civil Service, on this occasion.

[...]

“Yet by any rational standard, Sunak is merely being pragmatic and realistic: banning pure petrol cars in six and a bit years’ time is a dangerously utopian policy that would guarantee chaos, mass impoverishment, power cuts and a popular revolution.

/
    It's not a ban on petrol cars. It's a ban on new petrol cars.

The difference between the truth and Alister Heath's mistake is vast.
    Even the BBC keeps making that mistake, and the local Facebook groups are riddled with it.

People genuinely think the government will come round and scrap their cars and rip out their boilers.
    Remember how I talk about how the Tories have weaponised stupidity and ignorance...?
    It's a vicious circle where voters are goaded to make stupid choices that make the country poorer and the voters more angry and cynical and open to further goading... And then one day you wake up and realise you've become Argentina. And like
    Argentina, people who can see through this
    BS and know where their country is heading
    will leave, which makes the remaining
    population easier to manipulate. It's a very
    dangerous game the Tories are playing, and
    to what end?
    Why bother with elections then? Just let you and your friends run the country as you see fit? After all you are far smarter than the rest of us!

Someone has a fragile ego today. No, democracy is the least bad system of government. But countries that keep making dumb decisions get poorer and more chaotic, and skilled people with an outside option leave to raise their families somewhere else. This is just a fact, it has happened elsewhere and will happen here too. Anecdotally it probably already is.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A driver used his car to ram a mastiff-type dog as it attacked a dog walker and dragged him into the road.

Video showed the man being set upon by a large brown dog next to a busy road in Sheffield while he held on to his smaller pet, trying to keep it out of reach. As the dog tried to pull him into the road, a passing motorist mounted the pavement and struck the animal with the car bonnet.

Armed police were called to the Handsworth area on Tuesday and eventually managed to restrain the dog and seize it. The man was left with serious injuries to his arm and was taken to hospital. South Yorkshire police said that a 53-year-old man from the city had been arrested on suspicion of having a dangerous dog out of control and remained in custody.

The dog was believed to live at a nearby property and is said to have jumped over a wall before pouncing on the passer-by.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/driver-rams-dog-with-car-to-stop-attack-xr57cm9pg

Tough.
    Why not ban all pets except poodles and goldfish and hamsters just to be on the safe side?
    We have rabbits, chickens, horses and now two guinea pigs...
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,893

Pulpstar said:

Also, there's a lot of confected outrage about this - the EU adopted a similar 2035 target six months ago and voices were rather quieter about that.

I suspect there is a rationale in simply not putting the UK at a comparative disadvantage. HMG will have access to investment data.

I went back to the time the EU announced that, your fellow Brexiteers on here were extolling the decision as a Brexit benefit giving the UK a competitive advantage over the sclerotic EU.

But I am glad you are seeing the wisdom of aligning ourselves with the EU, you'll be campaigning for Rejoin in the next referendum, mark my words.
    On the flip side it's amusing how it's remainers in the main that are frothing at the mouth over EU alignment on environment policy
    I shall admit I don't have the technical or industry knowledge to really know whether 2030 or 2035 is a good thing or not. I suspect it makes less difference to both household finances and the environment than either "side" would like to admit.

In terms of politics however, it is a massive sign of weakness to do this two days after your laughing stock predecessor insists you do it.

And in terms of UK investment and preventing our managed decline, it is a massive error and another sign of weakness to commit to a major car manufacturer on a long term framework one week and then u-turn straight away.

With smaller, more fanatical, groups who want ever higher NHS spending and ever higher house prices.
    Polling says otherwise.
  • Options
    India suspending grant of visas to Canadians. Oof.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

It's a vicious circle where voters are goaded to make stupid choices that make the country poorer and the voters more angry and cynical and open to further goading... And then one day you wake up and realise you've become Argentina. And like Argentina, people who can see through this BS and know where their country is heading will leave, which makes the remaining population easier to manipulate. It's a very dangerous game the Tories are playing, and to what end?

Mark Carney gave a speech recently where he noted that instead of "Singapore on Thames" as promised by the Brexiteers, Truss delivered "Argentina on the Channel" instead.
    Yes, it was a disgrace. He's utterly trashed every notion of how someone in his role should behave, both during and after.
    You were advocating for free speech and railing against cancel culture only the other day.

Now you're condemning someone who is objectively well qualified to express a view on economic policy for doing so, more than three years after he ceased to be Governor of the Bank of England.
    I am not in favour of taking away Mark Carney's right to free speech, just happily exercising mine, to say he's a disgrace, not to mention a rancid hypocrite given that his grotesque mishandling of monetary policy during his tenure did far more damage to the UK economy than the misfiring minibudget could dream of. His was a disastrous appointment - a lesson in what getting one of these global conveyor belt people to do a job like that will result in. Absolute loyalty to a global agenda, zero loyalty to the role or the country.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Why is Caroline Dineage MP trending in the US overnight?

I’m not sure what to think of this one, apparently genuine letter written to Rumble’s CEO in the US, from the head of the Culture, Media, and Sport Committee, coming very close to suggesting that Rumble should be demonetising Russell Brand - not for anything he’s posted on their site, but just because he’s a bad person.

The Rumble CEO published the letter, and a quite forthright reply about freedom of speech.

https://x.com/rumblevideo/status/1704584929026216118?s=61

Comments underneath very supportive of Rumble.

It's not just the alt-right. Freedom of speech matters to Americans, whereas here it is just a slogan wheeled out from time to time when convenient in the land of draconian libel laws, super-injunctions and now this. First Amendment and all that.
    Oh indeed, freedom of speech is quite literally written in their Constitution, and is taken much more seriously over there by everyone.

There’s a running theme on this subject through a lot of American discussion, mainly but not exclusively on the right and among libertarians, that social media platforms are trying to censor certain viewpoints ahead of the election next year.

Youtube especially is in the firing line, with their seemingly arbitrary demonetisation, shadow banning, and banning of accounts with little recourse. It was said to be one of the reasons behind Elon Musk’s purchase of Twitter, and documents released by that company showed conversations with governments - including the US government - around certain specific accounts, as Rumble have released today.

Rumble was deliberately set up to be resistant to censorship, hosting their own servers and payment processing, and designed as web-first rather than app-first. Freedom of speech is their philosophy.

Obviously, it goes without saying that the likes of Russell Brand and Andrew Tate are horrible human beings, but that doesn’t mean they can’t earn a living while they still have their liberty.
    The Constitutional protection around free speech applies to government action. It has no impact on what a social media company can do. It does not apply to the actions of Rumble. Rumble routinely blocks material from its platform.
    Yes, if it breaks their policies they're within their rights to act.

They're also within their rights to tell a politician who while acting in an official capacity as a politician insists that speech gets taken down, that the first amendment applies.
  • Options
    Charles might have been able to pour some oil on troubled waters here, sadly he's poncing about in France with his overlarge binbag looking evening trousers. Camilla looked nice though.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Polling says otherwise.
    Talk is easy.

Reality is different.

People only want higher taxes and lower spending when it affects 'people like them'.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

How odd. They specifically seem to be Waffen-SS (or worse) rather than the Wehrmacht, too, with the Reich eagle on the left arm, and what looks like the lightning runes on the collar patch and skull on the cap (clearly so in some cases). So the report by the LBC and BBC of SS outfits is quite right. Also see this.

What is also odd is that the ORs seem to be in late war ankle boots and gaiters.

Surprising choice all round when they have the Wehrmacht option if it's just the Stahlhelm, jackboot and Schmeisser MP40 look they want.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-66856678
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/09/19/men-in-frightening-nazi-uniforms-clash-with-locals-at-1940s/
    I love the fact that they were escorted out of town by a few marshalls and a car. If only WW2 had been resolved this easily. The whole episode has a kind of Dad's Army quality to it.
    Vot is your name?
    Don't tell him, Pike...
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,333

Has Modi actually started assassinating his enemies in NATO countries? Anyone looked into this? I mean, I guess he would if he thought he could get away with it, and it would be following his role model Putin, but seems a bit of a risky step to take - unless he's got an agreement with China up his sleeve.
  • Options
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Even if we are not going to do much investment, doing limited investment consistently is still miles better than limited investment inconsistently. This week alone alongside this car manufacturing u-turn we also hear yet more flip flopping and weak uncertainty on HS2. Regardless of the rights and wrongs on these issues, we need to learn to stick to our decisions more often and u-turn as exceptions rather than the norm.
  • Options

Very much up in the air. Fwiw I think they should and, with a lot less certainty, that they will. But who knows with this lot.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Polling says otherwise.
    Polling says whatever you want it to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahgjEjJkZks

People will poll in favour of almost any spending, and almost any tax cut. What they'll vote for, is a different matter.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Has Modi actually started assassinating his enemies in NATO countries? Anyone looked into this? I mean, I guess he would if he thought he could get away with it, and it would be following his role model Putin, but seems a bit of a risky step to take - unless he's got an agreement with China up his sleeve.
    It's obviously extremely bad if India is doing this, but if they are, it also seems extremely odd for thr Canadian authorities to air their suspicions publicly? Since when was this a thing?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,079
    edited September 2023

Very much up in the air. Fwiw I think they should and, with a lot less certainty, that they will. But who knows with this lot.
    At the present moment
    1 GBP = 1.1547924 Euros
    1 GBP = 1.2305415 US Dollars

What will it be at 4pm today? Any predictions? Will take a range.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,878

I see you're having a bit of a 'moment'. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Even if we are not going to do much investment, doing limited investment consistently is still miles better than limited investment inconsistently. This week alone alongside this car manufacturing u-turn we also hear yet more flip flopping and weak uncertainty on HS2. Regardless of the rights and wrongs on these issues, we need to learn to stick to our decisions more often and u-turn as exceptions rather than the norm.
    Fair point.

But there's also the issue of 'throwing good money after bad' and reinforcing failure.

My suggestion would be for governments to minimise grandiloquent mega strategies and 'world beating' vanity projects and instead operate at a scale that can effectively applied.

In this country thinking big seems always to be followed by implemented badly.
  • Options

On topic, Sunak is right. There has been a huge amount of cakeism from previous governments, basking in the approval of environmental campaigners for introducing the targets, while failing to have an honest conversation about costs - and because Labour, the Lib Dems and Greens, and indeed the core broadcast media, are signed up to the same agenda, then they're happy for the Tories to be blamed for the costs as they come in as the party in office.

Consequently, the only political opposition comes from right-wing Tories, Reform UK, the Mail and Telegraph. It's like Brexit all over again - and we know how that ended.

Brexit was ultimately a consequence of a failure to advocate the benefits of the policy. It's easy to see now the net costs but without explaining the many little benefits, that ground was ceded by default to the opponents who could highlight the irritants and costs involved. Proponents were quiet while opponents were loud (with the exception of Remainy true believers, who by taking their case too far, also turned the public off). And that's where we are with Net Zero and climate change policy.

Unless the policy is advocated from first principles, not just on 'save the planet' grounds, which some will see as hopelessly beyond Britain's scope and others will see and virtue-signalling guff or simply fraudulent, but on grounds of national security and economic benefit, there is every chance there will be a populist backlash against a policy seen as imposed by an elite conspiracy without a popular mandate - because there will be enough truth in the case to credibly make it, especially if the other side is out-of-practice in its media skills in countering those claims.

Put simply, in a democracy, you have to take the people with you.

It's not a great sign that the TV media coverage today is full of environmentalists and political opponents of the Tories whining about how awful the Tories are, rather than making the positive case for action (which it's worth noting the Tories are still signed up to, even if in a kick-the-can mode).

Agreed. Good post.

• Options
    Stocky said:
    Yes, it seems like an idea Macron has been pushing for quite a while and is little different to Cameron's failed "renegotiation" before the Brexit referendum.

Four simple questions on associate membership proposals.

1: Will associate members be able to diverge on laws or standards, set their own laws or standards via their own Parliament that might differ from the EU's? Or will EU laws apply?

2: Will associate members be able to sign their own customs agreements with third parties? Or will EU customs apply?

3: What will associate members membership fees be?

4: Will associate members be able to set their own policies with regards to immigration from the rest of the EU? Or will EU free movement apply?

Sovereignty, laws, trade, money and borders. Those are the issues we debated in 2016 and ever since ad nauseum, what will associate membership if it becomes an option change? If nothing, then its just another name for the same thing. If its meaningful, lets hear it.
  • Options

Charles might have been able to pour some oil on troubled waters here, sadly he's poncing about in France with his overlarge binbag looking evening trousers. Camilla looked nice though.
    No he couldn’t, it is a row between Modi and Sikhs Trudeau is supporting.

India is not a Commonwealth realm and the King is sensibly staying out of it and building bridges with Macron and the French instead
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

On topic, Sunak is right. There has been a huge amount of cakeism from previous governments, basking in the approval of environmental campaigners for introducing the targets, while failing to have an honest conversation about costs - and because Labour, the Lib Dems and Greens, and indeed the core broadcast media, are signed up to the same agenda, then they're happy for the Tories to be blamed for the costs as they come in as the party in office.

Consequently, the only political opposition comes from right-wing Tories, Reform UK, the Mail and Telegraph. It's like Brexit all over again - and we know how that ended.

Brexit was ultimately a consequence of a failure to advocate the benefits of the policy. It's easy to see now the net costs but without explaining the many little benefits, that ground was ceded by default to the opponents who could highlight the irritants and costs involved. Proponents were quiet while opponents were loud (with the exception of Remainy true believers, who by taking their case too far, also turned the public off). And that's where we are with Net Zero and climate change policy.

Unless the policy is advocated from first principles, not just on 'save the planet' grounds, which some will see as hopelessly beyond Britain's scope and others will see and virtue-signalling guff or simply fraudulent, but on grounds of national security and economic benefit, there is every chance there will be a populist backlash against a policy seen as imposed by an elite conspiracy without a popular mandate - because there will be enough truth in the case to credibly make it, especially if the other side is out-of-practice in its media skills in countering those claims.

It's not a great sign that the TV media coverage today is full of environmentalists and political opponents of the Tories whining about how awful the Tories are, rather than making the positive case for action (which it's worth noting the Tories are still signed up to, even if in a kick-the-can mode).

+1
  • Options

kamski said:

It's obviously extremely bad if India is doing this, but if they are, it also seems extremely odd for thr Canadian authorities to air their suspicions publicly? Since when was this a thing?
    Particularly as both are Commonwealth countries and therefore have more established diplomatic channels to use.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,397
    Stocky said:

I think so. Having been slow to get hiking they will probably now strain the other way. It's human nature. Also the reputational risk calculus is skewed in that direction. Their mission in life is getting inflation down. If they keep hiking and it comes down but at a bigger than necessary price, so what? You can't prove that cause & effect and in any case they're only doing their job. No big problem (for them) there. But if they under-hike and inflation pops up again? Then they'll look like a bunch of charlies and get some serious stick. "You have one job, one job, and yet again you've managed to fail to do it" (people will say). That most of these 'people' won't have much of a clue what they're talking about is neither here nor there. The BoE's rep will be further tarnished.

So, yep, I'll be surprised and impressed if they don't hike again today.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,377

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Zac Goldsmith is a Remainer?
    No, but he's good err friends with Bojo's missed who clearly steered Boris on his outlook/policy decisions on this.
    I'm no fan of Goldsmith for various reasons, and he has other reasons than his principles for trying to undermine Sunak. But I think, in fairness, that his environmentalist credentials long predate his acquaintance with Carrie Johnson and that his annoyance at the watering down of policies that he certainly advocated for when in Government is genuine. Alok Sharma too has been critical, in his slightly more measured way, due to the feeling it undemines what he was about in office.
    Agreed. He's an environmentalist first and a Tory second, and there is a point (possibly already reached) when the latter will cease to apply.
  • Options

So, just as Brexit was the fault of those who opposed it rather than those who advocated it, so the environmental damage ensuing from rowing back on green policies will be the fault of environmentalists rather than those who reject green policies. Political double-speak at its finest! Well done.
  • Options

Well put.

I think Sunak has horrendously mishandled this and deserves criticism not praise. He could have said a while back he was putting this policy into review, rather than committing to the policy last week, then changing policy overnight. Surely this decision has been made based on a review of the evidence and if so then he's lied to the industry when he's made commitments in the last few days that this deadline was going ahead - that is no way to run a country. Its incompetent and a total lack of integrity, an honest answer of "we have concerns so are putting this policy into review" could have been said and then after a review then determine that 2030 is too soon and 2035 is more appropriate. Might have taken more people along too, if the arguments for the delay were then made.

But despite the way its been utterly and incompetently mishandled, yes people do need to be taken along.

Hopefully EVs will replace Petrol sooner than later, but 2030 does seem a bit too soon. Currently you can get new petrol vehicles for £13k, while the cheapest equivalent new electric vehicle is £27k. Crossover on that doesn't look like it will occur within 6 years, so that's a problem.

The market will see ever escalating BEV sales anyway with or without this deadline, so that's a good thing.

Right decision probably made, but in completely a cack-handed and incompetent fashion.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tough.
    ban all donkeys
  • Options

kamski said:

Particularly as both are Commonwealth countries and therefore have more established diplomatic channels to use.
    The Leader of the Canadian NDP party, which Trudeau’s Liberal government relies on for confidence and supply, is a Sikh
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tough.
    ban all donkeys
    We wouldn't have any politicians !!!!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

I think so. Having been slow to get hiking they will probably now strain the other way. It's human nature. Also the reputational risk calculus is skewed in that direction. Their mission in life is getting inflation down. If they keep hiking and it comes down but at a bigger than necessary price, so what? You can't prove that cause & effect and in any case they're only doing their job. No big problem (for them) there. But if they under-hike and inflation pops up again? Then they'll look like a bunch of charlies and get some serious stick. "You have one job, one job, and yet again you've managed to fail to do it" (people will say). That most of these 'people' won't have much of a clue what they're talking about is neither here nor there. The BoE's rep will be further tarnished.

They want to bring on a recession. Bunch of nutters.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,075
    The zero emissions mandate seems bizarre .

A car maker can’t force people to buy electric cars , fining them for the public not buying enough electric cars seems ridiculous.

And with the 2030 date pushed back to 2035 it’s more likely electric car sales will drop .

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,995
    edited September 2023
    I suppose it would be easier to hit and kill an XL Bully at 30mph than at 20mph.

I'm wavering.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

India is not a Commonwealth realm and the King is sensibly staying out of it and building bridges with Macron and the French instead
    What is your definition of a Commonwealth realm?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,060
    eek said:

Carnyx said:

The argument [edit] for 2030, from the same government, was to diverge from the EU and get in ahead with new investment and new industry ...
    The irony is that the argument is irrelevant come July 2025 all cars need to meet the Euro 7 rules which means all ICE cars will need to be hybrid to meet any chance of meeting the criteria...
    It might be possible to get an ICE car through Euro 7 but it would probably need a very small displacement (<1.0L) and forced induction. It's definitely killing off low volume, high-performance variants such as Focus RS, i30N, etc.
  • Options

So, just as Brexit was the fault of those who opposed it rather than those who advocated it, so the environmental damage ensuing from rowing back on green policies will be the fault of environmentalists rather than those who reject green policies. Political double-speak at its finest! Well done.
    If a defender does a horrendous and unnecessary passback to the goalkeeper that gets intercepted by the opposing sides striker who then taps in an easy goal, whose "fault" is that goal? The defender who screwed up? Or the striker who did his job?

Striker gets credit, defender gets blame.

If you want to know whose fault it is if you lose, look at your own side, not your opponents. Your opponents were just doing their job, you need to ask why your side wasn't better.
  • Options

"Put simply, in a democracy, you have to take the people with you."

And Sunak has given up trying. Because he doesn't care about the environment himself, he'd rather take the soft option and follow the agenda of the Mail and Express.

This isn't leadership. Get rid.
    Sunak is challenging the climate change process and in fact is brave and correct

Of course he has come under fierce attack, but as is being seen on this forum he is receiving support for his actions
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,242
    Scott_xP said:

It's a vicious circle where voters are goaded to make stupid choices that make the country poorer and the voters more angry and cynical and open to further goading... And then one day you wake up and realise you've become Argentina. And like Argentina, people who can see through this BS and know where their country is heading will leave, which makes the remaining population easier to manipulate. It's a very dangerous game the Tories are playing, and to what end?

Mark Carney gave a speech recently where he noted that instead of "Singapore on Thames" as promised by the Brexiteers, Truss delivered "Argentina on the Channel" instead.
    Our very own Alistair Meeks said this was a risk back in 2016 in one of his headers.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,050
    The Post Office Inquiry has just started hearing evidence from Stephen Dilley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ8NtGIZE7w
  • Options

And Sunak has given up trying. Because he doesn't care about the environment himself, he'd rather take the soft option and follow the agenda of the Mail and Express.

Sunak is challenging the climate change process and in fact is brave and correct

Of course he has come under fierce attack, but as is being seen on this forum he is receiving support for his actions
    No. Sunak is being completely disingenuous. Claiming that 2050 Net Zero can still be achieved without taking the steps required to get there is just taking the people for fools.

Clearly an attempt to have cake and eat it. He deserves all he gets for this nonsense.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

They do indeed have one job, and they have one tool for carrying it out. They've been too slow and given out too many mixed messages during this hiking cycle and as a result have allowed inflation to become more embedded than they needed to. I think they should hike again to bring inflation down and demonstrate their commitment to the 2% target. But keeping rates on hold would be an entirely unsurprising outcome.
  • Options

If a defender does a horrendous and unnecessary passback to the goalkeeper that gets intercepted by the opposing sides striker who then taps in an easy goal, whose "fault" is that goal? The defender who screwed up? Or the striker who did his job?

If you want to know whose fault it is if you lose, look at your own side, not your opponents. Your opponents were just doing their job, you need to ask why your side wasn't better.
    Government isn't a football match. The executive has functional power that oppositions don't have, and a ruling party has legislation-making opportunities that are much, much more limited for minority parties.
  • Options

It's not a game of football. If the environment that supports us is damaged, we all lose.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

Our very own Alistair Meeks said this was a risk back in 2016 in one of his headers.
    Happily he was proven wrong in the event, which I am sure he acknowledged with characteristic magnanimous good grace.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Their brief is to control inflation. If they are to run macro economic and fiscal policy we'll need to abolish the Treasury.
  • Options

No. Sunak is being completely disingenuous. Claiming that 2050 Net Zero can still be achieved without taking the steps required to get there is just taking the people for fools.

Clearly an attempt to have cake and eat it. He deserves all he gets for this nonsense.
    There are multiple sets of steps you can take to get to the same destination.

If petrol cars get outlawed in 2035 then by 2050 they'll be at least 16 years old and a tiny proportion of vehicles on the road.

The problem with extremists is the fallacy of "something must be done, this is something, so this must be done."
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,050

+1
  • Options

HYUFD said:

A Commonwealth nation where the King is head of state, which excludes India
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Sunak's just f*cking lying now:

"...asked about a proposal on whether the government was planning on making people have seven bins - something Sunak said he scrapped - he says that was in the environment act.

"There's a very clear statement there," Sunak says."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-66872792 08:31

But the Environment Act 2021 section 57 (which his government passed) says:
    (6) Recyclable household waste in two or more recyclable waste streams may be collected together where—
    (a) it is not technically or economically practicable to collect recyclable household waste in those recyclable waste streams separately, or
    (b) collecting recyclable household waste in those recyclable waste streams separately has no significant environmental benefit (having regard to the overall environmental impact of collecting it separately and of collecting it together).
    (10) For the purposes of this section the recyclable waste streams are—
    (a) glass;
    (b) metal;
    (c) plastic;
    (d) paper and card;
    (e) food waste;
    (f) garden waste.
  • Options

Well put.

I think Sunak has horrendously mishandled this and deserves criticism not praise. He could have said a while back he was putting this policy into review, rather than committing to the policy last week, then changing policy overnight. Surely this decision has been made based on a review of the evidence and if so then he's lied to the industry when he's made commitments in the last few days that this deadline was going ahead - that is no way to run a country. Its incompetent and a total lack of integrity, an honest answer of "we have concerns so are putting this policy into review" could have been said and then after a review then determine that 2030 is too soon and 2035 is more appropriate. Might have taken more people along too, if the arguments for the delay were then made.

But despite the way its been utterly and incompetently mishandled, yes people do need to be taken along.

Hopefully EVs will replace Petrol sooner than later, but 2030 does seem a bit too soon. Currently you can get new petrol vehicles for £13k, while the cheapest equivalent new electric vehicle is £27k. Crossover on that doesn't look like it will occur within 6 years, so that's a problem.

The market will see ever escalating BEV sales anyway with or without this deadline, so that's a good thing.

Right decision probably made, but in completely a cack-handed and incompetent fashion.
    Politicians are often scared into the right decision by fear of the electoral consequences if they don't. It's messy but it works.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,251
    @mikeysmith

No punishment for Boris Johnson for breaking ministerial rules with his '£1m' Daily Mail column. Oliver Dowden says it would be "disproportionate" to take any action.
  • Options

Of course you do not like being challenged but on this he has made the right decision

Time will tell where this goes, but yesterday did set in train the next GE campaign even if it is another year away
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,447
    edited September 2023

Yes. Politics is debate, it is argument, it is winning people over to your side. If you cannot win the argument, if you cannot win a vote, despite having the merits of the case on your side, then that is absolutely the fault of the people making it.

Do not blame the people leading the case for opposing what you want: that is their job and there will always be some inclined to that view. Do not blame the voters for taking that view; voters are pretty good at making their decisions on the arguments put. Blame those who were not capable of putting those arguments, despite their merit, and despite an advantage in funding and media access.
  • Options
    Reading about the Canadian claim that India was behind the execution of a Sikh activist in Canada, I happened upon the reporting of the funeral of Avtar Singh Khanda in Birmingham earlier this year. It seems that his family were refused visas by the Home Office to attend the funeral partly because the deceased had been arrested during a protest at the Indian High Commission but the Met Police flatly contradict that this was the case. Why is the Home Office seemingly happy to antagonise the Sikh community?

https://news.sky.com/story/thousands-to-attend-funeral-of-sikh-activist-but-not-one-family-member-will-be-present-12938108

• Options

HYUFD said:

Don't get him started
    Too late:
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A Commonwealth nation where the King is head of state, which excludes India
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,251

Do not blame the voters for taking that view; voters are pretty good at making their decisions on the arguments put.

That's bollocks though.

Uxbridge is the most recent example.

Voters made their decision based on misunderstanding the arguments put.
  • Options

It's not a game of football. If the environment that supports us is damaged, we all lose.
    Of course its like a game of football. People have different views on what to do, that's politics, and its for debate and Parliament to determine the outcome, then us at elections to determine Parliament. That's democracy.

No one side gets to say "this is too important" and circumvent democracy. That's not how it works, quite rightly.

This weekend is the Manchester derby. Hypothetically if Man City hammer Man Utd 8-0 who do you think will get more blame for that? Guardiola or Ten Hag? I would expect quite rightly Guardiola to bask in the glory, while Ten Hag carries the blame, but you seem to think it should be the other way around.

There's 27 years to go until 2050. A lot has changed in the past 27 years, a lot more will change in the next 27, getting the technological framework right for then is far more important than rushing into flawed decisions prematurely before the technology is ready or affordable for all.
  • Options

Yes. Politics is debate, it is argument, it is winning people over to your side. If you cannot win the argument, if you cannot win a vote, despite having the merits of the case on your side, then that is absolutely the fault of the people making it.

Do not blame the people leading the case for opposing what you want: that is their job and there will always be some inclined to that view. Do not blame the voters for taking that view; voters are pretty good at making their decisions on the arguments put. Blame those who were not capable of putting those arguments, despite their merit, and despite an advantage in funding and media access.
    Ah, well, if we're talking about what the voters think, then there are two aspects that need to be brought into play. One is whether the makeup of parliament accurately reflects what voters in bulk want, and the other is whether the government acts in a way that it indicated it would before the previous election.

You can't wave a mandate in people's faces and avoid pertinent questions about what that mandate really look like.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_realm
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Their brief is to control inflation. If they are to run macro economic and fiscal policy we'll need to abolish the Treasury.
    But their decisions don't relate to the inflation figures. If inflation has risen, they say "AH, inflation has risen, hike the rates". If inflation falls, they say, "false dawn, hike the rates". Their decisions seem arbitrary and utterly divorced from the inflation figures.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,393

TimS said:

On topic, Sunak isn't pitching to centrists or floating voters. He's trying to shore up his base so they have a reason to turn out for him next year rather than staying at home, shrugging that they're no different to Labour,
    or voting Reform. The objective is to save as many Tory seats as possible so they have a chance to rebuild in opposition.

The strategy and policy will have been carefully polled and focus grouped - the Tories have plenty of money to do this - so expect more of it.

You’d assume so, but the chaotic way in which it was leaked then announced and the way it apparently took even some front benchers by surprise doesn’t point to something extensively polled and focus grouped.
    I think that's very much in the eye of the beholder. Sunak might well have intended to keep it under wraps to avoid leaks and create maximum headline impact.

It's certainly achieved that.
    Yes, Sunak is very impressive and has comprehensively bamboozled Starmer, particularly with the repeal of the meat tax, airline tax and seven bin abomination.

Why then does he send Kemi Badenoch to sell his genius to news outlets near you? Zac Goldsmith, she says, is so rich, he is not qualified to comment on politics that affect poor people. Rishi Sunak remains on the Sunday Times rich list.
  • Options

"...asked about a proposal on whether the government was planning on making people have seven bins - something Sunak said he scrapped - he says that was in the environment act.

(6) Recyclable household waste in two or more recyclable waste streams may be collected together where—
    (a) it is not technically or economically practicable to collect recyclable household waste in those recyclable waste streams separately, or
    (b) collecting recyclable household waste in those recyclable waste streams separately has no significant environmental benefit (having regard to the overall environmental impact of collecting it separately and of collecting it together).
    (a) glass;
    (b) metal;
    (c) plastic;
    (d) paper and card;
    (e) food waste;
    (f) garden waste.

"According to Defra, the new Simpler Recycling system, which Defra says will be outlined “shortly”, will ensure all homes in England “recycle the same materials, ending the confusion and postcode lottery over what can and can’t be recycled”.

"Seemingly backing commingling or a twin-stream system, the statement added: “Those materials won’t need to be separated at home – so whilst it was never the case that seven bins would be needed by households, this new plan ensures it.”"

https://www.letsrecycle.com/news/defra-outlines-simpler-recycling-scheme-after-pm-rules-out-seven-bins/
  • Options
    OMG! New Header needed!!! Flip flop on the Potus market. Donald Trump is now the 3.1 Fav.

If you feel the way I do - that it's not happening - this has to be the juiciest sell imaginable. For everyone else, apart from hard right loons and Putin, it's very bleak news.
  • Options

Indeed. Persuading people of your case - manufacturing and keeping consent - is not a nice-to-have, it's a must-have.
  • Options

Of course you do not like being challenged but on this he has made the right decision

Time will tell where this goes, but yesterday did set in train the next GE campaign even if it is another year away
    Oh yes, he made it clear where the Tory campaign is heading. A core vote strategy.

Whatever happened to Vote Blue, Go Green?
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

The red wall voters who got Brexit to 52% didn’t want Singapore on Thames, they wanted centrist economics but with free movement ended and tighter immigration controls. That is what they got under Boris and will also get under Starmer (at least in his first term in terms of no major changes to our EU relationship).

The free market libertarian Brexiteer experiment under Truss lasted less than 2 months
  • Options

Well put.

Politicians are often scared into the right decision by fear of the electoral consequences if they don't. It's messy but it works.
    They're also often scared into the wrong decision by fear of the electoral consequences if they don't. It's messy but its democracy, and need to accept that as a part of democracy.

But either way, does Sunak deserve credit here for either showing a complete lack of integrity and lying to industry who sought guarantees a few days ago, or giving those guarantees only a few days ago and meaning it then changing policy in a flash without any new developments in the interim?

You can do the right thing, the wrong way.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Do not blame the voters for taking that view; voters are pretty good at making their decisions on the arguments put.

That's bollocks though.

Uxbridge is the most recent example.

Voters made their decision based on misunderstanding the arguments put.
    Some yes. But you seem to discount the possibility that many disagreed on principle, in sympathy with those who are affected (and of course they are all affected indirectly through taxation due to the cost of the scrappage scheme).
  • Options

Oh yes, he made it clear where the Tory campaign is heading. A core vote strategy.

I think you may find this is more than core vote
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Eabhal said:

6 month submarine patrols probably don't help with recruitment

https://twitter.com/SheilaLWeir/status/1701172772074926419?t=dwaslDOAM17kVMWeARoMLQ&s=19

I don't know about that; it's what you sign up to do. Almost everyone (except a few weirdo wankers) would rather be at sea than on a shore draft. The real challenge for the sundodgers was moving the SSKNs to Faslane and AUKUS. As predicted by almost everyone (they did exactly the same with the RAF MPA crews) the Australians have started asset stripping the submarine service with lateral transfers and much better terms of service. The poorest paid rate on their first cruise on a RAN boat makes £70k. Now, nobody joins the Navy for the money but...
    Was there not also an American report that submariners were often would-be pilots with poor eyesight, but now, thanks to laser eye surgery, these people can fly after a short op? Ah, here is a 2006 report. Obviously the one I'd read would have been more recent.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/20/us/20eye.html
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,388
    edited September 2023
    Its all about the realité. Firstly the infrastructure for charging isn't there and there are questions over whether the national grid can cope with demand. There are issues over the range of cars at less than 300 miles. I saw a couple looking miserable yesterday... Hooked
    up to a charger whilst twiddling their thumbs.. for up to an hour?.. (bugger that for a game of soldiers). How do you charge if you have no garage or on property parking.. People were sold a pup. The manufacturers lied about the range of the car.

It wouldn't surprise me if 2040 became the date. Meanwhile my clean euro6 compliant diesel does 60mpg and has a range of over 700 miles meaning I never get ripped off with motorway prices. What's not to like
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

Happily he was proven wrong in the event, which I am sure he acknowledged with characteristic magnanimous good grace.
    Has he been proved wrong? The quality of our politicians, their behaviour and decision-making has - IMO - markedly worsened in the years since.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,626
    A cool photo from NYC. Except it isn’t. It’s an AI-created puzzle. Can anyone work it out?

• Options
    Stocky said:

(a) glass;
    (b) metal;
    (c) plastic;
    (d) paper and card;
    (e) food waste;
    (f) garden waste.

"According to Defra, the new Simpler Recycling system, which Defra says will be outlined “shortly”, will ensure all homes in England “recycle the same materials, ending the confusion and postcode lottery over what can and can’t be recycled”.

"Seemingly backing commingling or a twin-stream system, the statement added: “Those materials won’t need to be separated at home – so whilst it was never the case that seven bins would be needed by households, this new plan ensures it.”"

https://www.letsrecycle.com/news/defra-outlines-simpler-recycling-scheme-after-pm-rules-out-seven-bins/
    Why has he only ruled out seven bins? What about eight bins? I note too that he hasn't ruled out a slaughter of the first born, so presumably that's in the pipeline.
  • Options

So if I decide to drive the bus off the cliff and you are unable to persuade me not to do it, then the ensuing crash is your fault for not being sufficiently persuasive? Have I got that right?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Ah, well, if we're talking about what the voters think, then there are two aspects that need to be brought into play. One is whether the makeup of parliament accurately reflects what voters in bulk want, and the other is whether the government acts in a way that it indicated it would before the previous election.

You can't wave a mandate in people's faces and avoid pertinent questions about what that mandate really look like.
    Isn't the point that the Net Zero policy is in danger of not having a mandate?

Just because all main parties back it, that doesn't imply popular support, any more than all parliamentary parties backing membership of the EU did. And if an issue becomes sufficiently salient, despite a lack of parliamentary support, politics will find a way for that issue to become pertinent - usually with the other side's argument being made by hardline extremists, for the simple reason that they're the only ones who cared enough about it to bang on against the consensus, and so led that side when more moderate sceptics stayed quiet.

I agree that were parliament elected by PR, there might be more balance but going by the 2019 results - and the mandates implied by those votes, barely. Con+Lab+LD+Grn+SNP would still likely have 95%+ of the MPs.
  • Options
    Leon said:

A cool photo from NYC. Except it isn’t. It’s an AI-created puzzle. Can anyone work it out?

There's seven of them but I don't think they're bins. I'm stumped.
  • Options

(a) glass;
    (b) metal;
    (c) plastic;
    (d) paper and card;
    (e) food waste;
    (f) garden waste.

But it is technically possible to collect them together, and there's an environmental benefit to collecting them together (only one waste bin needs to go around).

I've always put glass, metal and plastic into the same bin. They're easily separated at the recycling facility via machinery. There's no technical need to have separate bins for those streams.
  • Options

It failed to get a Conservative majority even in 2010?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Huh, I don't know why I obeyed your instruction to solve it, but solve it I did.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Leon said:

It’s extremely clever. Look at the “photo” from a distance, and de-focus your eyes
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,033
    edited September 2023
    Enjoying the (presumably unintentionally) amusing inverted commas in the Express's "'Honest' Rishi..." splash.

There's an important difference between honest and 'honest'.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

They do indeed have one job, and they have one tool for carrying it out. They've been too slow and given out too many mixed messages during this hiking cycle and as a result have allowed inflation to become more embedded than they needed to. I think they should hike again to bring inflation down and demonstrate their commitment to the 2% target. But keeping rates on hold would be an entirely unsurprising outcome.
    Are you betting on it at your place?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s extremely clever. Look at the “photo” from a distance, and de-focus your eyes
    Oh yes - that's very good.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

I can't see anyone calling London "Buenos Aires" any time soon, no matter how effective the ULEZ turns out to be.
  • Options
    There are some topics this forum should discuss.

1. The Online Security Bill - about to become law. There are some troubling provisions in it. Perhaps one of our more techy posters might opine.

2. The Law Commission's Surrogacy paper - which seems to me to disregard the rights of women and treat them as mere body parts to be used for the benefit of others.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Huh, I don't know why I obeyed your instruction to solve it, but solve it I did.
    Well done. Some people find it hard - or even impossible
This discussion has been closed.