Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Why I’m reluctant to bet on a LAB majority – pt1 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,108
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

This stretch of road over the fells is, quite simply, one of the most beautiful in England.

https://www.cyclefree.co.uk/the-way-home/

Beautiful

But a little bleak for me as a permanent home. Ditto the Hebrides which are even more beautiful - but even bleaker. I prefer the lushness further south

I’m just north of Shrewsbury now - Upton Magna - so I’m on that fascinating borderland where the south imperceptibly becomes the north

Shrewsbury feels definitely south to me yet 29m north west of here is Crewe. Definitely north

So somewhere along that 29 miles….. Britain completely changes
    There is a lot of lushness around the coast - see Grange for instance which easily grows tropical plants.

I have lemon and fig trees growing and fruiting successfully. Other parts are fantastically g
    It's just that this particular stretch is - for me - beautiful no matter what the weather or time of day. There is a stillness about it, an almost architectural, abstract quality to the landscape and colours and shapes - and that combination of sky and sea, of horizons and remoteness and hiding away is magical.

It took me time to appreciate it. But now my heart lifts when I reach that road and start the descent home.
    Happy is the person that loves their home! Good for you

I still love London, although I sometimes hate it, as well. But that has always been the case

London is like a girlfriend that drives you mad and you are about to leave her, then she will do something amazing that no one else can do - and you know you can’t leave her (yet!)/or live anywhere else, not full time

My idea life would actually be itinerant, I have now realised. You think I would have realised this before, after 37 years of travel writing, but anyway. I’ve now realised this is the case. I am happiest when I am on the move, but I also need that anchor, my bolt hole in London, to come back to in times of stress or exhaustion or just for some downtime and strolls on Primrose Hill

I’m just not Homo domesticus; I am not a farmer. I hunt and forage, One of Bruce Chatwin’s nomads
    Most of my early life was spent on the move - between Italy and Ireland and France and England. So until I was adult I never really entirely fitted in anywhere. And that feeling of being an outsider - on the edge of a group, sort of part of it but not really - and an observer has never ever left me.

It is one of the reasons I became an investigator - because observing and seeing things that seemed odd and having to understand the codes of places and groups I was apart from - is something that I've been doing since birth. It's quite lonely as a child and teenager but later you realise it's a great quality to have if you use it right. Both my parents were the same

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

The RAAC thing reminds us of the value of "red tape".

All the RAAC used was signed off, noted, tested etc.

See DTD683
    I'm suggesting we need more.
    Ah yes - another pile of paper will prove it’s safe next time. Perhaps if we photocopy the passwppets of everyone working on a project… twice. That’ll do it.

Do you work for the Boeing Starliner project?
    "Don't make schools out of concrete that is liable to collapse" isn't too onerous, surely?
    RAAC was considered just ticketyboo when it was used. Just as DTD683 was considered the dog racing undercarriage of aluminium alloys when they were building planes out of it.

All specified, certified and lovely.

Sadly God or the Laws of Physics or whatever disregarded all the documentation.

Despite earnest attempts by civil servants and politicians, both materials refused to fix themselves. In an act of grotesque insubordination to Proper Process.

The problem we have now is nothing to do with documentation. It is a response, as Herman Kahn noted, to a problem that is Just Too Big.

He noted that when a problem of fact became too big for the politicians/systems etc to deal with, their response was to deny it was a problem, hide it and persecute anyone who bought up the issue.
    That is why, to be serious for a moment, whatever system you have should aim to catch problems when they are small and opportunities to learn and improve rather than allow them to grow ever larger into Crises to Be Managed.

The systems we have now do the precise opposite.
    Why, exactly so.

Please stop talking common sense.

It will come up in any interview for a high end job, and you’ll get turned down for having subject matter expertise and possessing skills in arse-elbow differentiation.

We can’t have Top People like that, you know.
    Well, that's me told. And why I will never be a Top Person.

I wish someone had told me before. Why I could by now be the Dido Harding of my generation - with titles and money and friends like Matt Hanco..... oh, no .....
    The training starts here

Q1 You are sitting next to a BBC journalist at a dinner. He asks you questions about a scandal involving your organisation. Do you

1) make up some bollocks, composed of made up nonsense and confidential information.
    2) put polonium in his coffee
    3) scratch your nose in a knowing fashion, suggest that the entre was better at the dinner two weeks ago, and ask after his daughters latest exam results.
    I know this one, I do, I do... it's just coming, wait a minute. Is it (c)?
    Bsssss!

No, it’s 1)

You do not pass Go, you do not collect a £2.4 million pound payout.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,393
    edited September 2023
    stodge said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

See DTD683
    We need more fully-certified RAAC in place? Why?

Less red tape on planning and it'd be easier to replace buildings using RAAC with newer buildings built to better standards that don't.
    You seen the Welsh tiktok guy pulling apart dodgy new builds?

A lack of red tape just means we'll go through this process again and again, with long term costs that far outweigh short term savings.
    Have you seen the mouldy, damp-ridden squalor too many people are forced to live in as the chronic housing shortage caused by our planning red tape means there is simply no alternative between paying for that or being homeless?

Cut red tape, allow more new builds to be built, and competition would mean shit ones wouldn't sell - and damp-ridden rundown accommodation wouldn't be let either.
    I'm going to challenge you a little on this - what does "cut red tape" mean? Are you saying developments of a certain size should be automatically approved via delegated powers by Council Officers or there should be no application or consultation process at all and buildingn should just happen where there's some spare land?

Is the problem a lack of land - there is plenty banked by developers - or a lack of capacity in the construction industry and allied trades which means it's impossible for several projects to happen in an area simultaenously?

Neither of these are anything to do with "red tape" as such.

There is a defined public planning and consultation process for any major application - is it labour-intensive? Yes, I know this to be true - all sorts of assessments have to be undertaken and there's probably an argument for curtailing some of these but I'm not hearing any specifics from anyone. Do we for instance forego an Environmental Impact Assessment? I mean, is a colony of rare newts more important then our housing shortage? What about contamination of brownfield sites?
    The problem is the planning system, which developers can play to their strengths.

I believe that (as I believe is already the case in Japan and other zonal nations) that planning permission should be automatic if an area is already zoned for construction. And there should be an appropriate level of land available zoned for construction.

That means no Environmental Impact Assessment, no assessments of any kind, no putting signs up to inform neighbours there will be development happening, no asking permission, no getting politicians or councils involved.

If you own land and want to start construction on it, and its already zoned, then you simply turn up one day and start doing so - to pre-approved developmental standards. To building codes.

If the Council wants to do an Environmental Impact Assessment prior to zoning a land as suitable for development it should be able to, so long as it does zone something as appropriate for development. Each region should be able to determine what it zones as suitable, but once done, that's the end of inquiries, that's the end of it. Next thing you know, there's people arriving on site with diggers. And as population growth happens, more land will need to be zoned as appropriate.

PS all land zoned for construction should be taxed accordingly. So no land banking occurs.
    Question 2

The building you are in is on fire. Do you

1) pull the fire alarm and organise an orderly evacuation
    2) appoint a judge led enquiry into fires in public buildings that leaves fires in public building out of the remit
    3) deny there is a fire, and lie about it in evidence given under legal oath
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,129

On topic, every private indicator I had on my list for a Labour majority I've now ticked off (bar none) and so that's what I expect to happen.

I should probably pile on, even at current prices, but I don't have the cash.

I'll lend you it for half the profit?

But seriously - yes. It's a top quality 1/2 shot.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,872
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

This stretch of road over the fells is, quite simply, one of the most beautiful in England.

Beautiful

But a little bleak for me as a permanent home. Ditto the Hebrides which are even more beautiful - but even bleaker. I prefer the lushness further south

I’m just north of Shrewsbury now - Upton Magna - so I’m on that fascinating borderland where the south imperceptibly becomes the north

Shrewsbury feels definitely south to me yet 29m north west of here is Crewe. Definitely north

There is a lot of lushness around the coast - see Grange for instance which easily grows tropical plants.

I have lemon and fig trees growing and fruiting successfully. Other parts are fantastically g
    It's just that this particular stretch is - for me - beautiful no matter what the weather or time of day. There is a stillness about it, an almost architectural, abstract quality to the landscape and colours and shapes - and that combination of sky and sea, of horizons and remoteness and hiding away is magical.

It took me time to appreciate it. But now my heart lifts when I reach that road and start the descent home.

I still love London, although I sometimes hate it, as well. But that has always been the case

London is like a girlfriend that drives you mad and you are about to leave her, then she will do something amazing that no one else can do - and you know you can’t leave her (yet!)/or live anywhere else, not full time

My idea life would actually be itinerant, I have now realised. You think I would have realised this before, after 37 years of travel writing, but anyway. I’ve now realised this is the case. I am happiest when I am on the move, but I also need that anchor, my bolt hole in London, to come back to in times of stress or exhaustion or just for some downtime and strolls on Primrose Hill

I’m just not Homo domesticus; I am not a farmer. I hunt and forage, One of Bruce Chatwin’s nomads
    Most of my early life was spent on the move - between Italy and Ireland and France and England. So until I was adult I never really entirely fitted in anywhere. And one that feeling of being an outsider - on the edge of a group, sort of part of it but not really - and an observer has never ever left me.

It is one of the reasons I became an investigator - because observing and seeing things that seemed odd and having to understand the codes of places and groups I was apart from - is something that I've been doing since birth. It's quite lonely as a child and teenager but later you realise it's a great quality to have if you use it right. Both my parents were the same so I probably learnt some of it from them too.

The place I feel the greatest sense of childhood home is Naples. London is where I have lived the longest and I have enjoyed it. But what makes this place home for me is that we built it - not just bought and redecorated - and there is something very rooting about doing that. You have carved out your own Eden, in your own mind anyway. It also reminds me very strongly of the place in Ireland where my father's family came from - not so much the landscape as the feel of the place. Plus I had to spend a year in a barn halfway up a mountainside during Covid so that changed my feelings about urban landscapes quite profoundly.

I do not travel like you. But I never feel entirely at home anywhere. I like that feeling though. Being on the edge looking in.
    I reckon you can have several homes

Bangkok in January feels like my natural winter home. Specifically the bars and restaurants along soi 8, Sukhumvit Road

Deserts soothe me in a way a “home” should maybe soothe you. The deserts of Arizona or southern Utah. Sossuvlei and the Namibian Naukluft

Europe in general feels like my civilisational home. The typical European townscape. Church, square, pub/taverna/brasserie, old houses: that is a spiritual home

And there is something about the African bush at sunset that feels like this is the ultimate home all of humanity

• MattWMattW Posts: 21,740
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Birmingham City Council is the largest authority in my experience to issue a section 114 notice.

A 114 notice doesn't mean the council is "bankrupt" per se but it puts a check on all non-essential spending. In truth, many Councils have a "star chamber" of officers and members who will scrutinise even relatively small expenditure.

The implementation of an Oracle IT system is apparently about £80 million of the problem but the main issue seems to be the settlement of equal pay claims which dates back to a case which went to the Supreme Court over a decade ago.

At the moment, we're still at the stage where we can look at councils needing Section 114 and point and laugh at what they did wrong. That's true whatever the political control.

The imminent danger is that councils who haven't really done anything wrong, just got an impossible combination of fixed income and required expenditure, get caught as well.
    I'm hearing a lot of concern within councils currently as they think the settlement this year will be harsh and the ambient rise in inflation within the care sectors is as always higher than publiched CPI or RPI rates.

Some are going hard on raising revenue including selling off land and office buildings (not required thanks to WFH).
    A lot have lost money on investments in land and property too.

Incidentally it is worth noting that Brum wasn't a Lab council (it was NOC with a Con/LD controlling group) from 2003-2012 at the time that the equal pay case happened.

Yes - it's all party.

A number of Councils went for fairly speculative investments - was it an attempt to cover the income missing from salami slicing?
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,393
    edited September 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

See DTD683
    We need more fully-certified RAAC in place? Why?

Less red tape on planning and it'd be easier to replace buildings using RAAC with newer buildings built to better standards that don't.
    You seen the Welsh tiktok guy pulling apart dodgy new builds?

A lack of red tape just means we'll go through this process again and again, with long term costs that far outweigh short term savings.
    Have you seen the mouldy, damp-ridden squalor too many people are forced to live in as the chronic housing shortage caused by our planning red tape means there is simply no alternative between paying for that or being homeless?

Cut red tape, allow more new builds to be built, and competition would mean shit ones wouldn't sell - and damp-ridden rundown accommodation wouldn't be let either.
    Broadly agree, but remember that building regulations aren't meant solely to protect the people who purchase properties, but also all the negative externalities that come when a block of flats collapses, blocking the roads and filling the air with dust.
    Yes, which is why I propose abolishing planning permission and not building regulations.

You should be able to build whatever you want "within code" in any land zoned for that style of construction.

No need to have red tape for every single new home. The red tape should say what can or can't be done, and then just build within those standards pro forma then on.

Would slash costs, boost development, boost efficiency and make houses affordable.

Which is why some hate this idea with a passion.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,511
    edited September 2023
    I just made 2 posts on a thread that died 2 hours ago. Agggh.
    kjh said:

Not dead if you're posting surely?
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Question 2

2) appoint a judge led enquiry into fires in public buildings that leaves fires in public building out of the remit

(2) and (3) surely.

Please, sir, I am getting better at this, sir, aren't I?
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Beautiful

Most of my early life was spent on the move - between Italy and Ireland and France and England. So until I was adult I never really entirely fitted in anywhere. And one that feeling of being an outsider - on the edge of a group, sort of part of it but not really - and an observer has never ever left me.

It is one of the reasons I became an investigator - because observing and seeing things that seemed odd and having to understand the codes of places and groups I was apart from - is something that I've been doing since birth. It's quite lonely as a child and teenager but later you realise it's a great quality to have if you use it right. Both my parents were the same so I probably learnt some of it from them too.

The place I feel the greatest sense of childhood home is Naples. London is where I have lived the longest and I have enjoyed it. But what makes this place home for me is that we built it - not just bought and redecorated - and there is something very rooting about doing that. You have carved out your own Eden, in your own mind anyway. It also reminds me very strongly of the place in Ireland where my father's family came from - not so much the landscape as the feel of the place. Plus I had to spend a year in a barn halfway up a mountainside during Covid so that changed my feelings about urban landscapes quite profoundly.

I do not travel like you. But I never feel entirely at home anywhere. I like that feeling though. Being on the edge looking in.

Bangkok in January feels like my natural winter home. Specifically the bars and restaurants along soi 8, Sukhumvit Road

Deserts soothe me in a way a “home” should maybe soothe you. The deserts of Arizona or southern Utah. Sossuvlei and the Namibian Naukluft

Europe in general feels like my civilisational home. The typical European townscape. Church, square, pub/taverna/brasserie, old houses: that is a spiritual home

And there is something about the African bush at sunset that feels like this is the ultimate home all of humanity

God, yes - deserts. Love them. Monument valley - outstanding.
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Well I could chat to myself endlessly I suppose but it seems futile.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,421
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Just resting.
  • kinabalu said:

On topic, every private indicator I had on my list for a Labour majority I've now ticked off (bar none) and so that's what I expect to happen.

I'll lend you it for half the profit?

But seriously - yes. It's a top quality 1/2 shot.
    Thanks. It's probably something for me to get more involved in early next year, as the markets and spreads develop like @Peter_the_Punter says.
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Well I could chat to myself endlessly I suppose but it seems futile.
    It's the only way to get a true meeting of the minds.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,857
    If the DKs mainly go back to the Conservatives then a hung parliament in England at least is certainly possible. Starmer however could still get a majority with gains from the SNP.

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Beautiful

For me - and I know these things are intensely personal and subjective - this is right up there as one of my favourite ever posts on PB.

Feels churlish to pick out any one bit but gun to head it would probably be "and there is something about the African bush at sunset".

The "and" being rather masterful there. 🙂
    Cyclefree said:

Question 2

(2) and (3) surely.

Go to the top of the class
  • Hi @Casino_Royale can you tell us about your indicators for a Labour majority?
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Beautiful

For me - and I know these things are intensely personal and subjective - this is right up there as one of my favourite ever posts on PB.

Feels churlish to pick out any one bit but gun to head it would probably be "and there is something about the African bush at sunset".

Dunno if you are joking, but if not, that’s most kind of you. Even if you are joking, thanks for reading!
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,317
    edited September 2023
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Beautiful

If you can stay still in one place long enough, Leon will come to you.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,336
    kjh said:

Er, this thread started 7 hours ago, just saying.
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Beautiful

Dunno if you are joking, but if not, that’s most kind of you. Even if you are joking, thanks for reading!
    No, not joking. I really enjoyed that post. Doubt you'll top it.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,593
    MattW said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Birmingham City Council is the largest authority in my experience to issue a section 114 notice.

A 114 notice doesn't mean the council is "bankrupt" per se but it puts a check on all non-essential spending. In truth, many Councils have a "star chamber" of officers and members who will scrutinise even relatively small expenditure.

The implementation of an Oracle IT system is apparently about £80 million of the problem but the main issue seems to be the settlement of equal pay claims which dates back to a case which went to the Supreme Court over a decade ago.

At the moment, we're still at the stage where we can look at councils needing Section 114 and point and laugh at what they did wrong. That's true whatever the political control.

The imminent danger is that councils who haven't really done anything wrong, just got an impossible combination of fixed income and required expenditure, get caught as well.
    I'm hearing a lot of concern within councils currently as they think the settlement this year will be harsh and the ambient rise in inflation within the care sectors is as always higher than publiched CPI or RPI rates.

Some are going hard on raising revenue including selling off land and office buildings (not required thanks to WFH).
    A lot have lost money on investments in land and property too.

Incidentally it is worth noting that Brum wasn't a Lab council (it was NOC with a Con/LD controlling group) from 2003-2012 at the time that the equal pay case happened.

Yes - it's all party.

A number of Councils went for fairly speculative investments - was it an attempt to cover the income missing from salami slicing?
    It's more complex than that.

Changes in legislation freed Councils from a number of the financial limitations under which they had previously operated - it had been very difficult for Councils to engage in speculative property investment as property could not be purchased outside the Council's boundaries for non-operational purposes.

Around 2010-12, the after effects of the GFC meant there were only two players with money to speculate in property investment - pension funds and local councils. Those councils who moved quickly and sensibly were able to get some really good deals at the time on out-on-town retail parks and office properties which, when tenanted, returned decent rental yields.

It was an attempt by some councils to create alternative relaiable sources of income and not be reliant on Govenrment largesse - some Councils were looking to raise 10-25% of income via investment but I doubt that was ever achieved and by the mid-2010s the market was crowded and the bargains gone.

Councils could borrow at very low rates from the PWLB (Public Works Loan Board) to fund these purchases.

If you have an authority turning over £1.6 billion or similar, committing £100 million to investment purchases is fair enough but the Spelthornes and Wokings to name but two over-extended chasing sites.

With the coming of Covid and the evolution of WFH, the commercial and residential market collapsed and the valuations of sites (and their rental yields) went down with them. Oddly enough, there are signs out of town shopping is recovering slowly and as Wilko's has shown, the High Street is still under pressure.
    edited September 2023

Cyclefree said:

Question 2

(2) and (3) surely.

Go to the top of the class
    Ooh, thank you. How much money do I get? That is the point of all this, isn't it?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,137
    stodge said:

Oracle doesn't have clients, it has victims.
    HYUFD said:

If the DKs mainly go back to the Conservatives then a hung parliament in England at least is certainly possible. Starmer however could still get a majority with gains from the SNP.

The Red Wall polling is much better for the Conservatives this evening with the swing from Conservative to Labour down to 12.5%.

I'm very much of the view, unlike 1997, there are islands of Conservative vote resilience (we saw this in the May locals) which may withstand the Labour tidal wave. In 1997, the national swing was 10% but that varied from 7% in the north to 13% in London and there were swings of up to 20% in the odd seat.

Next time, I expect a curious mixture of very small and very big swings (from 5 to 25%) which will be dependent on any number of local demographic and economic factors.
  • Starting a car engine does not cause more pollution than leaving the thing running

If you have an old car with carburettors, then there is a case for leaving it running for less than twenty seconds

Otherwise idling is MUCH worse

Bart is talking polluted horseshit
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    I know the Tories think their being clever with the whole “Birmingham bankrupt” thing, but aren’t they forgetting a number of Tory councils having become effectively bankrupt?

Whole conservative tactic just seems..odd
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,493
    stodge said:

Since it is the largest local authority in the country, that is hardly surprising.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,460
    Someone has suddenly bought up the 2.10-2.50 range on the Lib Dems on Betfair, leaving a 30-point gap between buy and sell prices. A poll, a bar chart, or just a whim (it's a thin market)? Probably trading opportunities anyway to fill that gap.
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

To be fair, if you had an infinite amount of money, an infinitre amount of time and an infinite amount of resource to configure Oracle, you might have a half decent system about the time the Andromeda galaxy is due to collide with the Milky Way.
  • Someone has suddenly bought up the 2.10-2.50 range on the Lib Dems on Betfair, leaving a 30-point gap between buy and sell prices. A poll, a bar chart, or just a whim (it's a thin market)? Probably trading opportunities anyway to fill that gap.

If Tamworth might be the same day, hopes of a mutually convenient mutual understanding?

#notasordiddeal
  • I know the Tories think their being clever with the whole “Birmingham bankrupt” thing, but aren’t they forgetting a number of Tory councils having become effectively bankrupt?

Birmingham spent its money very wisely; it has woke roads

• RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023

I know the Tories think their being clever with the whole “Birmingham bankrupt” thing, but aren’t they forgetting a number of Tory councils having become effectively bankrupt?

I could equally say Woking spent its money wisely - on cutlery for the new Hilton Hotel.
  • I know the Tories think their being clever with the whole “Birmingham bankrupt” thing, but aren’t they forgetting a number of Tory councils having become effectively bankrupt?

Don't think of it as a strategic campaign, more as a frantic scrambling after something, anything, that might sound bad for Labour and good for the Conservatives.
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Beautiful

No, not joking. I really enjoyed that post. Doubt you'll top it.
    Well, shucks

FWIW one of my favourite PB travel comments of all time was when you once waxed lyrical about the joys of the Motorway Service Station, the quintessential liminal moment on a British road trip

I think I probably teased you at the time about your proletarian tastes for buffet baked beans, but you totally nailed the weird joys of that apparently humdrum pit-stop, which is in fact a precious, stolen time out of time. The comment has - clearly - stayed with me!

I could equally say Woking spent its money wisely - on cutlery for the new Hilton Hotel.
    How much did they fork out for it?
    edited September 2023
    Interesting: US supreme court likely to determine Trump’s 2024 eligibility soon – ex-judge

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/sep/05/trump-eligible-president-2024-supreme-court
    ydoethur said:

That's a cutting comment.

Christ, is that real?

It’s like Orwell

I wonder if “Diversity Grove” is anywhere near Brum’s Green Lane mosque where they give happy lectures on the best way to stone women (“bury them first above the waist to preserve modesty”)
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,461
    edited September 2023

Are you too young to remember 1992?

The parallels are uncanny. An unpopular Labour leader who has just cleared out the Augean stables verses a grey Tory leader who has just replaced a Titan of Conservative politics ( no, not Truss).

The expectation in 1992 was for a comfortable Labour win against an old and tired government, but the moment the cross was placed on the ballot paper, it went blue.

For someone who isn't minded towards the Conservatives it was a hammer blow. I was in sales and everyone I worked with celebrated the unexpected victory like it was Christmas on steroids. Expectation management is the key. When Rishi romps home with his 20 seat majority, I need to worry, not a jot.
  • kinabalu said:

But anyway, how about this one?

What does a Blairite say to himself after a terrible one night stand?

Flings ... can only get better 🙂

I suppose their three priorities were ejaculation, ejaculation, ejaculation.

Can't believe they missed out on having Equality Street
    I assume the opportunity never a-Roses.

ydoethur said:

Not really, as it wasn't about knives. Although I suppose we've opened a multi-prong attack.

kinabalu said:

Ambitious for a one-night stand.
  • kinabalu said:

Brian got his Cox out?
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Not really, as it wasn't about knives. Although I suppose we've opened a multi-prong attack.
    Amazing how you find these puns, tine after tine.

Humanity Close...

...to totally fucking up the planet.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 11,999
    HYUFD said:
    Pope says he will likely take mass next Sunday.
  • Were we discussing delivery vans earlier?

This morning, I was expecting a parcel from DPD. Their van pulled up outside our next-door neighbour, and I thought this must be our stuff. But they were actually delivering stuff for our neighbour! Our stuff turned up in a completely different DPD van with a completely different driver a couple of hours later!
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,517
    edited September 2023

The other thought on the joys of the free market vs a monopoly. Currently we have choice. And all the choices are equally shit. None of the private couriers are clearly better than any other - all have dramatically bad failings.

What is worse, consumers have zero choice which is used. If you order from Lego, its going to be DPD. Regardless of how terrible DPD are. And all seem to follow each other to impose the same crapola policies and restrictions - a cabal with no actual competition.

So why not make Royal Mail the monopoly carrier. At least if shit happens you can shout at your local postie. Mine says people complain to him about courier drop screw-ups as well...

"all the choices are equally shit"

What utter garbage.

Hermes/Evri is exceptionally shit.

DPD is great.

Others are somewhere inbetween.

And as a consumer you do have a choice. If I know a business uses Evri, I'm less likely to order from them as a result.

And of course with a competitive environment, the businesses compete with each other to be efficient/economic/reliable. If Royal Mail is shit, then you can go elsewhere.

Rivals have popped up because they offered a better service or better cost than the Royal Mail, if they didn't, nobody would use them.
    Do you not understand - the experience depends on the last mile contractor. You say "DPD is great" based on your lived experience. I say DPD is the worst of the worst based on my own. We are both right.

My issue with DPD isn't just that my local contractor is a pillock. It is how DPD work - not an issue for you if you have no issues.

DPD repeatedly try to deliver my stuff in the wrong village. The app which their contractors use has incorrect GPS information - they have shown me. So you try and fix this with DPD. Finding anyone in the UK who isn't on the end of a premium phone line is hard. When you manage it they say "use our app".

So I download their app and take pictures of my house (which is prominent in our village on a main road, so hardly hidden away) and place a pin on the map. A load of old faff. So that their guy will know where you are. Does it make a difference? No!

You say that as a consumer I can go elsewhere? How - I place an order and the shipper books whichever courier firm is contracted. I do not choose, they do.
    If the shipper uses a distribution company you dislike, you can order from someone else instead. Retail isn't a monopoly.
    Yes. I can buy Lego from that other company who isn't Lego because DPD are shit. Its a free market, just play with other toys.
    Errrr. Multiple vendors of Lego?
    For the sets which they sell exclusively?
    Or you could grow up and stop playing with Lego.

kjh said:

Er, this thread started 7 hours ago, just saying.
    Yes but some people are nearly as daft as me. Admittedly 2 hours less daft than me, but 5 hours more daft than the norm.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914
    HYUFD said:

If the DKs mainly go back to the Conservatives

They won't.
    ydoethur said:

Humanity Close...

When I was in Norfolk, I walked past a retirement complex that some utter numpty had actually named 'St Peter's Close.'
    Some awesome person I think you mean.

https://youtu.be/XmTV62mE1PA?si=J0llcrs2MmY7HHe_

Been done !!

kinabalu said:

Ambitious for a one-night stand.
    Well, political people cannot but help overpromise and underdelivery.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,478

'How to get to Same-sexity-street, how to get to Same-sexity-street...'

kinabalu said:

Brian got his Cox out?
    It was just all a nasty D-Ream.
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Humanity Close...

When I was in Norfolk, I walked past a retirement complex that some utter numpty had actually named 'St Peter's Close.'
    Never become Foreign Secretary!
    Leon said:

Here’s a thought. Is there “more to see per square mile” in the UK than anywhere else on earth?

I suspect that might be true

I am in Upton Magna, Shropshire

I am 12 miles from Ironbridge, UNESCO listed, the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution, one of the most important places on earth

I am 3 miles from Shrewsbury, a splendidly preserved Medieval-Georgian English market town, childhood home of Darwin. I am half an hour from Ludlow, which is even better

I am right next door to Attingham Park, a glorious 18th century mansion, on a site with 4000 years of human history, Bronze Age, Roman, you name it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attingham_Park

I am 2 minutes from Haughmond Abbey, an exquisite ruin of a 12th century abbey

I am 20 minutes from incredible Stokesay Castle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokesay_Castle

I am a short drive from eerie Clee Hill, with - again - millennia of history

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/titterstone-clee-hill

I am surrounded by medieval churches and Iron Age hill forts and weird Manor Houses and the like

I don’t believe any other country on earth offers this variety of history, scenery, culture, weirdness, beauty, ugliness, packed into such a tiny space

I like that they actually renamed the gorge after the first iron bridge, such a big deal it was.

Are you too young to remember 1992?

The parallels are uncanny. An unpopular Labour leader who has just cleared out the Augean stables verses a grey Tory leader who has just replaced a Titan of Conservative politics ( no, not Truss).

The expectation in 1992 was for a comfortable Labour win against an old and tired government, but the moment the cross was placed on the ballot paper, it went blue.

For someone who isn't minded towards the Conservatives it was a hammer blow. I was in sales and everyone I worked with celebrated the unexpected victory like it was Christmas on steroids. Expectation management is the key. When Rishi romps home with his 20 seat majority, I need to worry, not a jot.
    Thing I’ve learned in politics is no election is like previous ones. Especially true of the last few. 2024 won’t be a repeat of 1997 or 1992.

1992 was very different from now. The Tories were widely disliked but still respected.

I agree with the idea there will be holdouts of Tory strength in a few places. Straws in the wind suggest outer London may be one of those.

The other thought on the joys of the free market vs a monopoly. Currently we have choice. And all the choices are equally shit. None of the private couriers are clearly better than any other - all have dramatically bad failings.

What is worse, consumers have zero choice which is used. If you order from Lego, its going to be DPD. Regardless of how terrible DPD are. And all seem to follow each other to impose the same crapola policies and restrictions - a cabal with no actual competition.

So why not make Royal Mail the monopoly carrier. At least if shit happens you can shout at your local postie. Mine says people complain to him about courier drop screw-ups as well...

What utter garbage.

DPD is great.

And as a consumer you do have a choice. If I know a business uses Evri, I'm less likely to order from them as a result.

And of course with a competitive environment, the businesses compete with each other to be efficient/economic/reliable. If Royal Mail is shit, then you can go elsewhere.

Rivals have popped up because they offered a better service or better cost than the Royal Mail, if they didn't, nobody would use them.
    Do you not understand - the experience depends on the last mile contractor. You say "DPD is great" based on your lived experience. I say DPD is the worst of the worst based on my own. We are both right.

My issue with DPD isn't just that my local contractor is a pillock. It is how DPD work - not an issue for you if you have no issues.

DPD repeatedly try to deliver my stuff in the wrong village. The app which their contractors use has incorrect GPS information - they have shown me. So you try and fix this with DPD. Finding anyone in the UK who isn't on the end of a premium phone line is hard. When you manage it they say "use our app".

So I download their app and take pictures of my house (which is prominent in our village on a main road, so hardly hidden away) and place a pin on the map. A load of old faff. So that their guy will know where you are. Does it make a difference? No!

You say that as a consumer I can go elsewhere? How - I place an order and the shipper books whichever courier firm is contracted. I do not choose, they do.
    If the shipper uses a distribution company you dislike, you can order from someone else instead. Retail isn't a monopoly.
    Yes. I can buy Lego from that other company who isn't Lego because DPD are shit. Its a free market, just play with other toys.
    You don’t play with them, you buy them and keep them in the box as a collector. Take them out the box and play with them and they lose their value.

I used to collect the Dr Who figures.
    edited September 2023
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Humanity Close...

Never become Foreign Secretary!
    My sights would be set on DLUHC, first to change its godawful name, and second to figure out what the heck they think the department is supposed to be doing, which seems to have been missed up to now.
  • kle4 said:

Leon said:

Here’s a thought. Is there “more to see per square mile” in the UK than anywhere else on earth?

I am 12 miles from Ironbridge, UNESCO listed, the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution, one of the most important places on earth

I am 3 miles from Shrewsbury, a splendidly preserved Medieval-Georgian English market town, childhood home of Darwin. I am half an hour from Ludlow, which is even better

I am right next door to Attingham Park, a glorious 18th century mansion, on a site with 4000 years of human history, Bronze Age, Roman, you name it

I am surrounded by medieval churches and Iron Age hill forts and weird Manor Houses and the like

I don’t believe any other country on earth offers this variety of history, scenery, culture, weirdness, beauty, ugliness, packed into such a tiny space

I like that they actually renamed the gorge after the first iron bridge, such a big deal it was.
    You'll be telling us next that they renamed a gorge after the cheese.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266
    edited September 2023
    ydoethur said:

Humanity Close...

Better than Prince Andrew's Close for the local schools.
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Their new licensing terms for Java are quite something. One employee out of 10,000 uses Oracle java somewhere? That's 10,000 employee licenses thanks!

Oh - and 'employees' includes temps, contractors, etc.

No need to thank us. Larry's loving his new yacht.

• Leon said:

I've decided on a staycation for my next holiday - two weeks at the end of this month, beginning of next

I was thinking of getting the Harwich to Hook Of Holland ferry and having a walk around the Netherlands, but have changed my mind

I can walk to Avebury or Amesbury in a day, mostly on footpaths, and I've never done either
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

Humanity Close...

Better than Prince Andrew's Close.
    I don't think retired people need to worry about him.

If there was a school there...
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,335
    ydoethur said:

Humanity Close...

The first few minutes of the film War Dogs features a guy playing acoustic guitar at an old folks' home.

You need to listen quite closely to realise the tune is Don't Fear The Reaper...
    edited September 2023

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Of course! Very deserved too. Any word to the contrary is just lies I say.
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

Humanity Close...

I seem to remember (I think) Barnsley having a redevelopment and moved a police station. To a new road called "Letsbe Avenue".

For which I applaud them.
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

And quite right too. Ironbridge and Coalbrookdale are remarkable places. You can genuinely sense that the world fundamentally *changed here*

That is true of vanishingly few places on earth

The Tas Tepeler - the Neolithic Revolution
    Jerusalem - monotheism
    Athens - the first Democracy (however flawed)
    Florence - the Renaissance
    Ironbridge - the Industrial Revolution

Perhaps also Silicon Valley?

• ohnotnow said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

Humanity Close...

I seem to remember (I think) Barnsley having a redevelopment and moved a police station. To a new road called "Letsbe Avenue".

For which I applaud them.
    Sheffield and Letsby
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,517
    edited September 2023
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Of course! Very deserved too.
    Speaking of Cheddar, I tasted a Welsh expression of Cheddar today, called 'Rockstar' - should be banned it's so good.
  • Leon said:

I'm not sure. I'd have thought places like Italy or Israel/Palestine might give us a run for our money in terms of historical and cultural sites in a relatively compact space.
  • kle4 said:

Be fair, who could have seen it coming?

Former Trump’s National Security Adviser John Bolton on working for the deranged former president:

“It took me a while to grasp that somebody could be so immune to the sensitivity, the importance the consequences of their decisions,

That everything would be focused simply through the prism of how does it benefit Donald Trump.”
    https://nitter.net/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1699091686633148834#m

To be fair it was probably like Raab and Dover

He assumed the dial was at 80% when in fact it was turned up to 11
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266
    After what seemed like the hottest day of the year, darkness, and a heavy fog has descended in about ten minutes.
    Very eerie indeed right now.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860
    Taz said:

What utter garbage.

DPD is great.

You don’t play with them, you buy them and keep them in the box as a collector. Take them out the box and play with them and they lose their value.

I used to collect the Dr Who figures.
    Lego sets are a genuinely strong investment if you can be arsed with it all and don’t mind sitting on them (not literally) for a few years. Especially the limited edition ones.

Leon said:

I've decided on a staycation for my next holiday - two weeks at the end of this month, beginning of next

I was thinking of getting the Harwich to Hook Of Holland ferry and having a walk around the Netherlands, but have changed my mind

I can walk to Avebury or Amesbury in a day, mostly on footpaths, and I've never done either
    Friends of mine have done the entire Ridgeway and rave about it. And they are experienced travellers

https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/en_GB/trails/the-ridgeway/route/

if you have two weeks you can step off the path to endless fascinating towns and villages and ancient sites en route. Also lots of great pubs with good food

Leon said:

Classic children TV show, Children of the stones, was filmed in Avebury.

Terrific show.
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

And quite right too. Ironbridge and Coalbrookdale are remarkable places. You can genuinely sense that the world fundamentally *changed here*

Jerusalem - monotheism

Los Alamos?
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860

Leon said:

I'm not sure. I'd have thought places like Italy or Israel/Palestine might give us a run for our money in terms of historical and cultural sites in a relatively compact space.
    Yeah, Italy sprang to mind for me.

Germany is bursting with lovely stuff as well.

Leon said:

Practically tripping over ancient civilisations in Iraq I suppose, though a bit harder to visit.
  • Surprised the Keegan fan club haven't posted this.

Education Secretary Gillian Keegan has come under fire from colleagues for her "unilateral" decision to determine which school buildings need to close as part of the concrete crisis, Sky News has learned.

Ministers elsewhere in Whitehall fear she has opened a "Pandora's box" by setting a more cautious than necessary standard that could affect a huge array of public buildings, including housing stock, local authority buildings and the military estate.

The education secretary has made clear she took the most cautious of the options presented by officials over which buildings to shut last week.

Sky News understands she "informed" the relevant Whitehall committees, which have been dealing with the issue of crumbling concrete for years. However, she did not fully consult or secure agreement for her move, believing she needed to move fast.

Ministers are worried they could now face massive disruption and spiralling costs if other public buildings are now held to the same precedent set in the Department for Education.

https://news.sky.com/story/education-secretary-under-fire-for-opening-pandoras-box-on-concrete-crisis-12955766
  • stodge said:

stodge said:

Care home settlements in April 23 are running at 7.5-12.5% for the current fiscal year

Leon said:

Israel is too small to count, and lacks much modern history, and has very little landscape variety

Italy is perhaps the only contender, but again lacks on the modern aspect, unless you look at corners like Veneto-Trentino, which are indeed packed with history and culture and modern drama, and have intense landscape diversity

Still not sure they can match the UK per square mile…. Who knows,. It is one of the upsides of our island being so densely settled for so long, I guess
    Leon said:

Stokesay castle: my late grandfather took a photo almost identical to this when visiting Shropshire with his photographic society friend Fred, who processed it in his darkroom. It hung on grandpa’s wall for years until his death.

A few years later I was there and recreated the shot on my iPhone. Took ages to wait for visitors to disappear from shot.

• CookieCookie Posts: 12,883
    @Leon - if you can fit it into your schedule, a trip to Mitchell's Fold Stone Circle is rewarding, particularly on a clear day at sunset.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,137
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Jerusalem - monotheism

Chatsworth, in Los Angeles's San Fernando Valley is the birthplace of the modern porn industry
  • Leon said:

I don’t believe any other country on earth
    offers this variety of history, scenery, culture, weirdness, beauty, ugliness, packed into such a tiny space

Go to Stokesay Court - the house that the Magnus family chose to keep when they gave away the Castle. Far prettier (was used for Atonement I believe)
  • Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Yeah, Italy sprang to mind for me.

Germany is bursting with lovely stuff as well.
    UNESCO World Heritage Sites by country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Heritage_Site
This discussion has been closed.