Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The 2024 White House Race – the latest betting – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    Eabhal said:

Aha. We're discussing the A9. One of my special interests.

The problem is not speed. In the absence of any other traffic you could drive from Perth to Inverness in 90 minutes in reasonable safety. The problem is misjudgment when overtaking, and the cameras do nothing to prevent that.

Back in 1981 or thereabouts I was first on the scene of a head-on collision somewhere between Inverness and Aviemore. It was a harrowing experience that I'd rather not dwell on. We'll never know what speed the cars were doing, only that one car pulled out to overtake when it shouldn't have. The fact that they were 'breaking the law' seemed immaterial at the time.

So how come the number of collisions fell after the introduction of the cameras?
    Wasn't there also an experimental 50mph speed limit for lorries introduced at the same time? Normally they'd be restricted to 40mph on a single carriageway.

I think that lowered the frustration levels a bit which is what led to the stupid overtaking.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    AlsoLei said:

viewcode said:

AlsoLei said:

Bad CGI or just a really over-the-top sharpening filter?
    White shorts. Black socks. Urgh.

He's a good looking lad and fit, but he's a bit barrel chested and with short legs, so long shorts don't work. He badly needed short shorts to make his legs look longer. It may have been better if he did it barefoot.

Plus he has really weird technique: he crabs around the court like he's trying to poo himself. If it wasn't for the obvious Putin analogue, him on horseback may have worked better. Him swimming a length or two and then climbing out of the pool towards the camera would have really worked. But he went for tennis. Ho-hum
    Someone mentioned a few days ago that you could always tell an American by the shoes - but, for me, it's the socks. Black socks with everything. Unless they're wearing black jeans or a suit, in which case the white gym socks inevitably turn up.

(Goodness. I sound like such a snob. I guess I am such a snob. But I don't own a single pair of plain black or plain white socks, and don't think I ever have done, at least not as an adult.)

Longer shorts are actually in fashion at the moment. Skater-type: wide, and long - to the knee or a bit below. But his are neither here nor there and look a bit silly.

And then there's the weird spider-like movements. And the grunting. What's with the grunting?
    The essayist Clive James, in his earlier career as a reviewer, wrote about how Wimbledon tennis players used to grunt. It was funny. He used to have a website that gave extensive excerpts from his texts, but since his death the website owner has removed the excerpts and replaced them with many pages saying "buy this book". I said rude words. But then I found somebody had archived the site, so I said happy words. Here are some of his.

Meanwhile Jimmy Connors had unleashed his new tactic, the Early Grunt. Yes, Jimbo is grunting earlier this year. Tennis buffs will be aware that after his marriage to the aforementioned Chris Evert failed to take place, the bullet-headed ball-bouncer consoled himself by cleaving unto Patti McGuire, Playboy’s all-time most gorgeous gate-fold. Wedlock has brought wisdom. Once, in moments of crisis, he would take out and read the famous Letter from his Mother — always a heartening event for his opponent. Now he has taken to grunting loudly at the instant of hitting the ball instead of just afterwards. Confused opponents try to hit the grunt instead of the ball.

Connors was left with little in the armoury except his new weapon, the Early Grunt. As I revealed exclusively last week, Connors now grunts at the same time as he serves, instead of just afterwards. Since the grunt travels at the speed of sound, it arrives in the opponent’s court marginally before the ball does. Ordinary opponents try to hit the grunt. Borg was not fooled. Indeed he quickly developed a Swedish counter-grunt. ‘Hworf!’ grunted Connors. ‘Hwörjf!’ grunted Borg. ‘Game to Connors. Borg, rather,’ cried the umpire helpfully.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676

Nigelb said:

The U.S. State Department has approved #Poland's huge @BoeingDefense #Apache helicopter request, 96 helicopters, and no fewer than 1,800 #Hellfire and 460 #JAGM. Poland will be the biggest operator of the AH-64 outside the U.S.
    https://twitter.com/Rotorfocus/status/1693705011920855287

War is coming.

Brace. As @Leon would have said.
    According to a Polish friend (no fan of the current government), the openly discussed intention is to form a military block of Eastern European countries with the largest conventional force in Europe. So that they can defeat Russia *on their own*, if required.

Part of it is building up capabilities in-country for ammunition production. Then the production of the actual weapon themselves.
    Makes sense, and is exactly what they should do. Being able to defend onesself against aggressors is actually what we should all do, but hey.
  • TimS said:

AlsoLei said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

Surrey County Council demonstrating total incompetence. Popped down to the pub and the road was closed. These things happen. Stuff has to be fixed. So I went in the opposite direction to find the road closed that way also. OK must be an emergency then. But no I went on the Surrey County Council web site and both closures were scheduled for the same day.

The roadsigns on the A31 between Farnham and Guildford are now almost completely obscured by foliage growth that has been allowed to run unchecked for months. Many people have mentioned it to them.

What on earth is wrong with them?
    Come to Wales from 17th September and all the 30mph will have shiny new 20mph signs
    We all know you love Mr Drakeford to bits, but you do have to admit that some of the 30mph zones will still be there. Don't want to confuse the rUK PBers, do we?
    A very limited number in our area and in some cases they are justified

However a blanket ban with odd exceptions is unacceptable as local businesses, bus services, and taxis all complain
    Having read the various docs, it seems to be a sensible process and setup.

The reduced speeds and resulting reduced casualty figures may be coming in just in time to expose the UK Governments policies arounds roads and streets for the shitshow that they have become.

Perhaps some interim results March-April 2024; more in autumn 2024.
    It is certain that the policy will be reviewed and expect many more 30mph zones reinstated
    Was talking to a friend of mine in rural Gwynedd today.

She was grumbling loudly that the new speed limits will increase her travel time to the nearest hospital by 50%.
    Sounds well rural.
    Between Carmarthen (Glangwili) in the south west, Merthyr in the south east, Wrexham in the north east and Bangor in the north west, there is precisely one hospital in Wales with an A and E department and a meaningful level of inpatient care - Ysbyty Bronglais in Aberystwyth.

Almost all the other hospitals are 'community hospitals' I.e. in effect glorified GP surgeries. Even if the handful that are not, most now do not even have minor injury units because they can't afford the staff.

Thing is, almost all of mid Wales is what most people in pretty much any part of England, the Valleys and the Scottish lowlands would think of as 'well rural.' There are two air ambulances (one of which was nearly axed recently) and only one significant road that is more than a single carriageway - the Newport bypass.

This is one reason why I'm thinking lower speed limits might have hidden costs.
    A 50% increase suggests the journey between the persons home and the hospital is entirely 30mph limit at the mo. If the hospital is Ysbyty Bronglais, then maximum travel time to the hospital on a non-emergency call is 10 mins, if that.

Of course, the waiting time at the hospital will be a bit less given a reduction in the number of road traffic colission injuries, so they will probably get some of the time back :)
    Ten minutes? What the fuck are you smoking?

Are you seriously suggesting you can get from Dolgellau to Aberystwyth in 10 minutes? Even Max Verstappen couldn't do that in an F1 car!

It is going up from an hour to an hour and a half because of the very large number of villages the route passes through.

Which is again one of the curses of the roads of mid-Wales. Of the major towns, only Welshpool, Newtown (just) Dolgellau and (bizarrely) Newbridge on Wye have by-passes.

But Drakeford, in his infinite wisdom, which has been assembled in a lifetime of never leaving the south, has declared he's building no more as they only encourage traffic.
    Just doing some maths. You're friend suggested the new limits would increase journey times by 50%. That could only happen entirely within what is now a 30mph zone.
    Not even then as you're very unlikely to go at a steady 30mph now and steady 20mph after. You'll stop for lights, slow for roundabouts, traffic etc.
    I'm starting to think ydoethur's friend might have made a mistake.
    I would say I'm starting to think you're talking nonsense.

But to be honest, you've talked that on this subject all the way through.

I will admit you did correct one mistake when it was pointed out to you, putting forward an irrelevant thesis.
    So is the direct route to the hospital from your friend's place entirely on 30mph roads, all of which are being converted to 20mph?

(and yes, sorry for that incorrect link. You will remember I followed up with the correct one, showing the reduction in injuries and fatalities).*
    No. It is entirely on roads that will be affected in different stretches, some being cut from 40 to 20, some from 30 to 20, and some from 60 to 40.

The entire route is 31 miles, and it looks like about 15 miles will be affected one way or another.

Which, when the slow down and speed up time and probable reduced traffic flow from people who always drive well below whatever the speed limit is taken into account, will increase the time from an hour to an hour and a half on average.

I think it just feeds into the narrative that the government in Cardiff are a bunch of soi-distant idiots who don't know or care about Wales any more than Thatcher's Tories did.

*at the second prompting, but to be fair, the first was in an edit.
    Doesn't this come down to Barty's point about building bypasses around built-up areas? Plenty of room to do it in mid-Wales; straighten the main roads out and keep the main traffic flow out of towns and villages.

If the demand's there, then why not do it? I can't see why traffic should ever be allowed to rush down streets filled with shops and people's front doors at 30 or 40 mph.
    Boom! Yes that is exactly it!

Build new roads. There may not be space for it in London, but there bloody well is in the North, or in Wales, or in almost all the rest of the country.

Then convert residential roads to slower roads, once they're no longer through roads.

Everyone wins then.

Otherwise, if its a through road, it should be 30 or 40. Even if there's some front doors on it, if thousands of cars are going down the road then kids aren't going to be playing football on the road anyway and 30 or 40 is a reasonable speed. But build a by-pass and there won't be thousands of cars anymore and you can take it slow if its not for through traffic anymore.
    The trouble, as always, is the nimbys. Every bypass you build is either going through someone’s garden or going past their beloved rural view.

And this is one situation where nimbyism is understandable even if it’s also damaging from a utilitarian perspective. Few people who own houses with quiet country outlooks would not put in a planning objection to a new bypass within eye or earshot, because of the impact on property value. Even Yimbys. The nimby yimby exists.
    Which is yet more reason why the planning system should be abolished as far as getting planning objections is concerned. If a road, or rail, or whatever other critical infrastructure needs to be build then just frigging do it. If someone objects, their views about their view, or the sound, or anything else, their views should not be taken into account - if its not their land, then they're no more than a rubbernecker and infrastructure is needed.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    edited August 2023
    So, the SNP accounts have hit the Electoral Commission website: https://search.electoralcommission.org.uk/Api/Accounts/Documents/25329

Last year (to 31/12/22) they had a deficit of £803K following a deficit of over £700K the year before. As a result they are now absolutely insolvent with net assets of (£219K). The central party owes the local parties a share of the membership income which they collect on their behalf. The unpaid share is over £800k. The party has £100k in the bank so I trust that the local treasurers are not holding their breath awaiting payment.

The SNP have therefore burnt through the £600k that they were supposed to be holding in trust for the next referendum, they have burnt through the accumulated reserves of the party and they are only able to operate by failing to pay the money due to their branches as they fall due.

Many have claimed that the SNP is vindictive towards private enterprise and business in Scotland but in fairness these accounts show very clearly that their incompetence is directed at all organisations in the country up to and including themselves. Whelk stalls simply don't come close.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    DavidL said:

So, the SNP accounts have hit the Electoral Commission website: https://search.electoralcommission.org.uk/Api/Accounts/Documents/25329

Last year (to 31/12/22) they had a deficit of £803K following a deficit of over £700K the year before. As a result they are now absolutely insolvent with net assets of (£219K). The central party owes the local parties a share of the membership income which they collect on their behalf. The unpaid share is over £800k. The party has £100k in the bank so I trust that the local treasurers are not holding their breath awaiting payment.

The SNP have therefore burnt through the £600k that they were supposed to be holding in trust for the next referendum, they have burnt through the accumulated reserves of the party and they are only able to operate by failing to pay the money due to their branches as they fall due.

Many have claimed that the SNP is vindictive towards private enterprise and business in Scotland but in fairness these accounts show very clearly that their incompetence is directed at all organisations in the country up to and including themselves. Whelk stalls simply don't come close.

I would be astonished if anyone actually faces charges for anything related to this, but the details that emerge about the finances of the party, and famous examples like the campervan, do make you wonder what the heck the Chief Executive was doing for years and years.
This discussion has been closed.