Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Where’s Willy? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,556
    Cyclefree said:

Heathener said:

@TSE hails from Liverpool, where Bill Shankly once made the most famous quote in the history of football:

'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'

There are two aspects to this story. The first is football. The second is the monarchy. Both matter a huge amount to people in this country, for good or ill.

So to you nay'sayers from the dawn chorus below, I'm afraid YOU are the ones who are out of touch. Football and monarchy may not be of interest in your weltanschauung but if you're interested in life in the UK then these ought to matter to you too.

By describing the story as trivia you are abdicating yourself from British life.

It's estimated that about 27million in this country garden in their leisure time.

We don't discuss it enough on here, if being "interested in life in the UK" is now the test.
    Massive interest of my wife. Loves gardening. As do I in the sense of sitting in it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Quite clear Rish, the FA and Willy have dropped a bollock here. In the event Scotland are in the rwc final I wouldn't for a second doubt Anne will be in Paris.
    Fortunately for Willy Wales are unlikely to present him a similar dilemma.

William Wales is anti England's rugby union team.

He famously cheered and celebrated an England loss at a world cup, the absolute wanker, it is why I prefer his brother.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,095

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Shouldn't this be on PB (English subsection)?

Like @Leon has said in the past, this inferiority complex is really weird.
    What inferiority? I don't slavishly follow any football team, let alone some other country's, and I certainly don't go around claiming that the bloated cost of the RF is justified by the height of some numinous profile. 90% of which is the Ruritanian family soap opera element anyway.
    You (and @Theuniondivvie did so a couple of weeks ago) get triggered by any mention or putative celebration of English success in sport.

It stirs something deep within the Nat psyche; hence comments like this.
    I think what really riles them is when a non-English home nation sports team/person does well and the English take pleasure in supporting them too. They just can't abide that their hostility isn't reciprocated.

Scotland will probably do better than England in the Rugby World Cup for example. Seeing English rugby supporters cheer for them in the latter stages is likely to leave Scot Nats fuming.

That said I can't cheer on McIlroy in the golf because my mother-in-law hasn't forgiven him for dumping his girlfriend as soon as he became famous.
    Bollocks, chum. First thing I said was good luck to the ladies.

The traditional ‘why don’t the Jocks support us’ psycho babble has started a bit late on this occasion.

Of course an English sports fan has never had their nominal national broadcaster pumping out wall to wall jingoistic boosting of another country’s sports team so they really don’t have a clue on what they’re talking about.
    Its not an English sports fan's fault that the other home nations are pretty shit at sport to be fair.
    Well at least it looks like even the BBC might be a bit embarrassed to talk up the England rugby team in the upcoming WC.
    Ironically though.
    The draw is so soft it'll be a major surprise if England don't make the semi.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,349

Carnyx said:

Do we know if William couldn't attend because he was already booked for another engagement? I'm mean if, say, he'd cancelled doing the prize-giving at, I dunno, the Blind Orphans with Terminal Cancer Society to fly off on a footie junket then the optics might have looked a tad worse.

Exactly. Bad manners if you cancel an appointment and next thing you spot your appointee at the footy. Really says a lot.
    This should have been in the diary of the President of the FA, the date isn't a surprise.

If William doesn't want to be President of the FA he should resign the post and have someone else do the role.
    Would he have attended if England weren't in the finals though? That might also have brought opprobrium: Wills attends final cos the arrogant English assumed they'd be in it, what a chump he looks now.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Heathener said:

@TSE hails from Liverpool, where Bill Shankly once made the most famous quote in the history of football:

'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'

There are two aspects to this story. The first is football. The second is the monarchy. Both matter a huge amount to people in this country, for good or ill.

So to you nay'sayers from the dawn chorus below, I'm afraid YOU are the ones who are out of touch. Football and monarchy may not be of interest in your weltanschauung but if you're interested in life in the UK then these ought to matter to you too.

By describing the story as trivia you are abdicating yourself from British life.

It's estimated that about 27million in this country garden in their leisure time.

We don't discuss it enough on here, if being "interested in life in the UK" is now the test.
    Massive interest of my wife. Loves gardening. As do I in the sense of sitting in it.
    Same with my wife and we both use it as important exercise as we have aged

Indeed I cut our grass specifically for the exercise rather than have a gardener
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,132

Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

Scruffy hobo playing as hospital CEO (yes, the Countess of Chester Hospital, how did you guess) says on film he wants to ensure staff are able to raise concerns knowing they will be looked at thoroughly.

https://youtu.be/eQbmkPEFluE

Do you think he meant "looked at thoroughly" during a 9-month criminal trial into multiple charges of murder and attempted murder?

No, me neither.

Took about 2 mins to find that video yesterday. Surprised they didn't use it in the Panorama doc.
    We tried to watch the Panorama doc but had to give up after 5 mins. I stupidly thought it might present the facts, some analysis of what went wrong, how to avoid a repeat, etc. but no. Just mawkishness.

I appreciate the parents affected must be devastated beyond comprehension but I do not think a programme of wallowing in their grief is something I want to see.
    I really dislike this new style where the programme is more about the journalism rather than the actual topic.

Journalist spent more time getting in and out of a van, and then addressing a random person behind the camera, than actually telling me what the facts and the uncertainties were.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,266

Lots of social media messages from politicians saying the entire nation is cheering for the Lionesses. But that’s not true. Unless that nation is England. And if England is a nation, so are Wales and Scotland (Northern Ireland is more complicated). And if England, Scotland and Wales are nations, how can the UK be a nation state?

You have been on PB for longer than me. How can you not know this?
    • "nation" = group of people who identify as a group. Similar to "tribe".
    • "country" = inhabited area with a border with (a degree of) self-government. Repurposed by the UK to refer to England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and not everybody agrees with this.
    • "realm" = area where the ultimate font of all authority is a monarch
    • "sovereign state" = area with the authority to sign international treaties. The basic building block in Westphalian theory. Can be disputed (eg Free France vs Vichy France)
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,518
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

AlsoLei said:

I think the President of the FA not attending an England World Cup Final, or any of the World Cup at all, shows that he doesn't take the title of President of the FA seriously. Its just another bauble collected.

That's not a point about the Royal Family, but having a few individuals collecting dozens of titles each of roles they supposedly have is just going to ensure those roles aren't taken seriously anymore. George Osborne was criticised when he had 6 jobs IIRC too.

I don't really care too much about football or the royals, but I'm fascinated by the politics around this. It's a hell of a risk to have left uncovered, and it has the feel of something that's genuinely been missed rather than the result of a deliberate decision.

But how can it possibly have been missed? The team were known to be in good form, and there was clearly a chance that they'd go all the way to the final. Diaries should have been shuffled to make sure that someone sufficiently senior was available to travel at short notice. The government should have liaised with the palace to make sure that plans were in place.

Blair, Cameron, and May would all have handled this properly - though with May in charge there'd have been a chance that an engine would fall off the plane or something on the way. Boris might almost have missed it, but you can be sure he'd have arranged a madcap dash at the last moment.

But this government seems to have been caught completely unaware, which suggests that they're utterly dysfunctional. They need to sharpen up very quickly - they'll fall apart in an election campaign if they continue acting like this.
    Blair didn’t handle the 2003 World Cup that well.

Recalling the sports minister a few days before the game in case he lost a vote.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/caborn-ordered-back-from-world-cup-for-hospital-vote-79058.html
    I remember the day of that final like it was yesterday. Pubs all open for breakfast, barely enough room to stand by the start of the extra time, and walking back to my parents’ house afterwards, very much worse for wear after about eight beers - and it still being morning!

In the top handful of sporting days of my lifetime.
    Same here. Great day. I was in Kingston Upon Thames at the time. Found somewhere.

My abiding memory is the lack of grace from the Aussie Pm who practically threw the winning medals at the England players
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,343
    Rishi in the pub with fans in England shirt watching the match

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1693219801240359206?s=20
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,208
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

What inferiority? I don't slavishly follow any football team, let alone some other country's, and I certainly don't go around claiming that the bloated cost of the RF is justified by the height of some numinous profile. 90% of which is the Ruritanian family soap opera element anyway.
    You (and @Theuniondivvie did so a couple of weeks ago) get triggered by any mention or putative celebration of English success in sport.

I think what really riles them is when a non-English home nation sports team/person does well and the English take pleasure in supporting them too. They just can't abide that their hostility isn't reciprocated.

Scotland will probably do better than England in the Rugby World Cup for example. Seeing English rugby supporters cheer for them in the latter stages is likely to leave Scot Nats fuming.

That said I can't cheer on McIlroy in the golf because my mother-in-law hasn't forgiven him for dumping his girlfriend as soon as he became famous.

The traditional ‘why don’t the Jocks support us’ psycho babble has started a bit late on this occasion.

Of course an English sports fan has never had their nominal national broadcaster pumping out wall to wall jingoistic boosting of another country’s sports team so they really don’t have a clue on what they’re talking about.
    Its not an English sports fan's fault that the other home nations are pretty shit at sport to be fair.
    Well at least it looks like even the BBC might be a bit embarrassed to talk up the England rugby team in the upcoming WC.
    Ironically though.
    Unfortunate wording - I had to reread that. Obviously been on PB too long, I'm getting a dirty mind.

Anyway, obviously PW is going to get kicked for the next 3 weeks in the media if the ladies win, and ditto if they lose (obvs his fault), so no point in worrying about politics till 15 September. Off now to do some more work. Have fun, and may the best team win.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,893
    viewcode said:

Lots of social media messages from politicians saying the entire nation is cheering for the Lionesses. But that’s not true. Unless that nation is England. And if England is a nation, so are Wales and Scotland (Northern Ireland is more complicated). And if England, Scotland and Wales are nations, how can the UK be a nation state?

• "country" = inhabited area with a border with (a degree of) self-government. Repurposed by the UK to refer to England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and not everybody agrees with this.
    • "sovereign state" = area with the authority to sign international treaties. The basic building block in Westphalian theory. Can be disputed (eg Free France vs Vichy France)
    Is there a Cornish nation? A Yorkshireman nation?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Quite clear Rish, the FA and Willy have dropped a bollock here. In the event Scotland are in the rwc final I wouldn't for a second doubt Anne will be in Paris.

He famously cheered and celebrated an England loss at a world cup, the absolute wanker, it is why I prefer his brother.

Look, they gave him Wales as a birthday present. The least he can do is the support the team of the province he owns.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,022
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

Scruffy hobo playing as hospital CEO (yes, the Countess of Chester Hospital, how did you guess) says on film he wants to ensure staff are able to raise concerns knowing they will be looked at thoroughly.

Do you think he meant "looked at thoroughly" during a 9-month criminal trial into multiple charges of murder and attempted murder?

No, me neither.

Took about 2 mins to find that video yesterday. Surprised they didn't use it in the Panorama doc.
    We tried to watch the Panorama doc but had to give up after 5 mins. I stupidly thought it might present the facts, some analysis of what went wrong, how to avoid a repeat, etc. but no. Just mawkishness.

I appreciate the parents affected must be devastated beyond comprehension but I do not think a programme of wallowing in their grief is something I want to see.
    I really dislike this new style where the programme is more about the journalism rather than the actual topic.

Journalist spent more time getting in and out of a van, and then addressing a random person behind the camera, than actually telling me what the facts and the uncertainties were.

Panorama is not what it was.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,236
    Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

AlsoLei said:

I think the President of the FA not attending an England World Cup Final, or any of the World Cup at all, shows that he doesn't take the title of President of the FA seriously. Its just another bauble collected.

That's not a point about the Royal Family, but having a few individuals collecting dozens of titles each of roles they supposedly have is just going to ensure those roles aren't taken seriously anymore. George Osborne was criticised when he had 6 jobs IIRC too.

I don't really care too much about football or the royals, but I'm fascinated by the politics around this. It's a hell of a risk to have left uncovered, and it has the feel of something that's genuinely been missed rather than the result of a deliberate decision.

But how can it possibly have been missed? The team were known to be in good form, and there was clearly a chance that they'd go all the way to the final. Diaries should have been shuffled to make sure that someone sufficiently senior was available to travel at short notice. The government should have liaised with the palace to make sure that plans were in place.

Blair, Cameron, and May would all have handled this properly - though with May in charge there'd have been a chance that an engine would fall off the plane or something on the way. Boris might almost have missed it, but you can be sure he'd have arranged a madcap dash at the last moment.

But this government seems to have been caught completely unaware, which suggests that they're utterly dysfunctional. They need to sharpen up very quickly - they'll fall apart in an election campaign if they continue acting like this.
    Blair didn’t handle the 2003 World Cup that well.

Recalling the sports minister a few days before the game in case he lost a vote.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/caborn-ordered-back-from-world-cup-for-hospital-vote-79058.html
    I remember the day of that final like it was yesterday. Pubs all open for breakfast, barely enough room to stand by the start of the extra time, and walking back to my parents’ house afterwards, very much worse for wear after about eight beers - and it still being morning!

In the top handful of sporting days of my lifetime.
    Same here. Great day. I was in Kingston Upon Thames at the time. Found somewhere.

My abiding memory is the lack of grace from the Aussie Pm who practically threw the winning medals at the England players
    Wasn't it the losers medals that he threw at his own players?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but you and I both know there are a million places he'd rather be.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,066
    edited August 2023

Do we know if William couldn't attend because he was already booked for another engagement? I'm mean if, say, he'd cancelled doing the prize-giving at, I dunno, the Blind Orphans with Terminal Cancer Society to fly off on a footie junket then the optics might have looked a tad worse.

Who controls their schedule by the way? Is it them or is it the Government? Or joint? Or some other orgasiation? I tried to find out this morning and couldn't really find an anwer. I know the Lord Chamberlain's department organises big events but I don't think they are the ones deciding on schedules and timetables on a daily basis. Can the heir to the throne simply up and go to the other side of the world at short notice? I don't think there would be diplomatic issues given he is also the heir in Australia but I suppose the Aussie GOvernment would have to have some input.

Still it can't be impossible to organise this even at fairly short notice.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,446
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Ironically though.
    Probably right.
    In that case normal service resumed on BBC - ‘Rampant England bounce back and show their true quality!’
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,511
    edited August 2023
    Spain all over England

Penalty on its way for Spain ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Clever of the teetotal Rishi: hold an empty pint glass so you'd assume he'd just quaffed a full pint of beer with the lads if you didn't know.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,446

viewcode said:

I believe the late lamented Leon had tendencies towards considering Cornwall a nation. Indeed he constituted several members of it.
  • Options
    Fuck the VARiarchy.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,073

HYUFD said:

Clever of the teetotal Rishi: hold an empty pint glass so you'd assume he'd just quaffed a full pint of beer with the lads if you didn't know.
    Looks like a coke in a tall glass to me.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Vorderman’s on the case.

A pointless chart as it takes no respective account of the size or population of each nation.

Vorderman is someone I have had to block on Twitter. At first her critiques of the govt were pretty much on the nail but I suspect she’s got carried away with her own twitter persona and comes across as slightly obsessive even deranged. Posting endless bilge for likes and retweets. The core message gets somewhat lost and she ends up preaching to the converted.
    Bet she’s gutted.
    I doubt she cares at all. She’s there for likes and retweets and maintains/raising her profile like many C listers and daytime TV talking heads. It’s all about the brand. Doesn’t make my observation invalid.
    I suspect she doesn’t give a flying fuck about her profile. If her pronouncements chimed more with your worldview I suspect you wouldn’t be so dismissive.

It’s going to be great when Musk disables the block function. You’ll be exposed to endless tweets pointing out the irrefutable, ever mounting evidence of the huge harm Brexit is doing, and I’ll be force-fed endless bullshit from blue-ticked flag shaggers. Wonderful.
    WTF are you burbling on about ? Are you on an E ? I voted remain. I’m no brexiteer and have not even once extolled the virtues of it.

Musk isn’t disabling the block button either.
    Er ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66550959
    Old news. The tweets where he has said that have been removed by him.

I think he eventually realised that it would breach the terms of both Apple Play, and the Google Store.

How to kill Twitter even faster than he is already?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

One of them takes his duties and roles seriously.

The other is a ginger tosser.
  • Options
    If it takes nearly 4 minutes then it isn't clear and obvious.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,174
    Penalty to Spain
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Looks like a coke in a tall glass to me.
    If he wasn't PM, would he be in the pub watching a women's football match? Probably not. That's why he doesn't come across as being in touch. Fair play to him for giving it a go, but it won't save his party.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 871
    HYUFD said:

That's better. Now, where's Willy?
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,275
    I like this referee, absolutely milking her big moment for all she can get.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Vorderman’s on the case.

A pointless chart as it takes no respective account of the size or population of each nation.

Vorderman is someone I have had to block on Twitter. At first her critiques of the govt were pretty much on the nail but I suspect she’s got carried away with her own twitter persona and comes across as slightly obsessive even deranged. Posting endless bilge for likes and retweets. The core message gets somewhat lost and she ends up preaching to the converted.
    Bet she’s gutted.
    I doubt she cares at all. She’s there for likes and retweets and maintains/raising her profile like many C listers and daytime TV talking heads. It’s all about the brand. Doesn’t make my observation invalid.
    I suspect she doesn’t give a flying fuck about her profile. If her pronouncements chimed more with your worldview I suspect you wouldn’t be so dismissive.

It’s going to be great when Musk disables the block function. You’ll be exposed to endless tweets pointing out the irrefutable, ever mounting evidence of the huge harm Brexit is doing, and I’ll be force-fed endless bullshit from blue-ticked flag shaggers. Wonderful.
    WTF are you burbling on about ? Are you on an E ? I voted remain. I’m no brexiteer and have not even once extolled the virtues of it.

Musk isn’t disabling the block button either.
    Er ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66550959
    Old news. The tweets where he has said that have been removed by him.

I think he eventually realised that it would breach the terms of both Apple Play, and the Google Store.

How to kill Twitter even faster than he is already?
    It’s a textbook case of what not to do.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Vorderman’s on the case.

On the contrary, she's got a better intuitive understanding of the matter than you imply. The cost of a RF should be fairly invariant relative to population size. One K, one Q, one heir and some sprogs, a few spares, that's it. It's noticeable that there is a strong cluster around 9m pa.

And no way does Spain have 10% of the population of the UK. It's got just over two-thirds.
    She's missed out the French Royal Family.

How much does Macron cost?

And to think Maths used to be her brand.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,174
    And saved!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,266
    edited August 2023
    Eabhal said:

See my remark yesterday about the inherent inadequacy of journalism in a data science age. In the BBC's case it's even worse: not only does it not understand the limitations of journalism, it's forgotten how to do it well. I do not want to know one fucking thing about the reporter and I don't want to know how they feel.

• Options
    Dreadful penalty
  • Options
    Great save
  • Options
    Taz said:

Dreadful penalty

Worst penalty by a woman since Diana Ross in 1994.
  • Options

Who controls their schedule by the way? Is it them or is it the Government? Or joint? Or some other orgasiation? I tried to find out this morning and couldn't really find an anwer. I know the Lord Chamberlain's department organises big events but I don't think they are the ones deciding on schedules and timetables on a daily basis. Can the heir to the throne simply up and go to the other side of the world at short notice? I don't think there would be diplomatic issues given he is also the heir in Australia but I suppose the Aussie GOvernment would have to have some input.

There'd be huge security considerations of course. And when these people visit other nations I imagine it's expected that they have meetings with the various big-wigs. The royals surely just can't fleetingly come and go like back-packing tourists.
  • Options
    Mary Queen of Stops - love that!

Come on England!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

No, me neither.

Oh dear.

So the boss says one thing in public, and does something very different in private. Sounds like a company I worked for which proudly displayed a page of “values” in every room, but the cynic in me saw them as a parody of how the company actually worked in practice.

As we discussed yesterday, the NHS either needs to find internal examples of where concerns are treated seriously, and roll out that ethos and culture across the whole organisation, or they need to look at industries that do take these things seriously and get help externally.
    There was a similar scandal in Gosport's War Memorial Hospital some years ago. A report was written. It made lots of recommendations including having "freedom to speak" guardians. You can read an analysis of what happened, the report and the recommendations here - https://barry-walsh.co.uk/what-whistleblowers-really-want/.

The Francis report made similar recommendations. One of those was that there should be compulsory references for senior NHS executives, to avoid useless ones cocking up and moving on. It is the same problem as happened in finance and led to a similar change.

Except the government declined to bring in mandatory references for senior jobs or set up a council with the power to bar managers guilty of misconduct.

Little wonder that "Tom Kark KC, lead counsel to the Mid Staffordshire inquiry, later vented frustration over a “lack of action” after NHS scandals. “You can’t keep commissioning reports which say the same thing,” he said."

No shit!

Except that is exactly what is going to happen. It will be the same as the police. Endless scandals. Endless reports saying the same thing. Lots of hand-wringing. Lots of private life long pain for those harmed. No action taken.

One of the saddest thing about the Cheshire case is one family left with a seriously brain damaged child needing 24 hour care for the rest of their life. Not one life ruined but that of an entire family - for decades. It is unbearable.

The NHS knows what needs to be done. They can copy other industries where change has happened. There are plenty of people to help them to do this. They have offered.

The NHS - and the politicians who control it - simply do not want to know.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,556

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Heathener said:

Same with my wife and we both use it as important exercise as we have aged

Indeed I cut our grass specifically for the exercise rather than have a gardener
    Mowing the lawn adds 2 years to your life, I was reading.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,829
    Well the kettle made a fine sight earlier. Thanks to those who persuaded me to get off my backside and get down there.

A few other cranks photographing and videoing, and even a few normals there to see the spectacle.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Vorderman’s on the case.

On the contrary, she's got a better intuitive understanding of the matter than you imply. The cost of a RF should be fairly invariant relative to population size. One K, one Q, one heir and some sprogs, a few spares, that's it. It's noticeable that there is a strong cluster around 9m pa.

And no way does Spain have 10% of the population of the UK. It's got just over two-thirds.

Macron is elected!
  • Options
    How is this not a VAR check for red card when a player is possibly seriously injured?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266

viewcode said:

Idiot post
  • Options

Taz said:

Dreadful penalty

I now want to find it on YouTube.
  • Options

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Vorderman’s on the case.

Macron is elected!
    He isn't elected co-Prince of Andorra, a title he also holds
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Dreadful penalty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXjCKwBtG0I
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,056
    Shades of Terry Butcher
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

He is Prince of Wales not Prince of England, only when he becomes King of the whole UK does he have to be neutral when England play Wales
  • Options
    Lauren James rugby tackled, no foul !
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but you and I both know there are a million places he'd rather be.
    It looks like a pub in his Richmond constituency in North Yorkshire, I am sure he has been there before and the locals look like they know him
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Vorderman’s on the case.

Macron is elected!
    Charles III isn't elected either!
  • Options
    Lauren James rugby tackled, no foul !

Taz said:

Taz said:

Dreadful penalty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXjCKwBtG0I
    Magnificent and so flamboyant.
  • Options
    The ref should have showed a second yellow there, she might as well be wearing a Spain shirt.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,937

Short notice? The date of the final has been set for at least a year. It was certain to be a commonwealth country a week ago.

Slap in the face for women's football. Bizarre to me the monarchy have made this error.

• Options
    rkrkrk said:

Short notice? The date of the final has been set for at least a year. It was certain to be a commonwealth country a week ago.

Slap in the face for women's football. Bizarre to me the monarchy have made this error.

They are lazy, this is what happens when you have a job for life.
  • Options
    13 minutes!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,744
    HYUFD said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Vorderman’s on the case.

Macron is elected!
    Well he is isn't he? That is how he gets the role. Although I grant you he isn't elected by Andorrians (sp?)
  • Options
    THIRTEEN minutes!!
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Well how long ago did they know England would be in the final. Bit presumptive of you isn't it?

Secondly as I said in the post, who controls their schedule? Could they keep 3 or 4 days clear just in case England made it to the final?
  • Options

13 minutes!

Good. There's been a lot of time-wasting by Spain, plus the injury.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

rkrkrk said:

Eh? The King didn't get his job until he was 73 when most people are retired
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Well how long ago did they know England would be in the final. Bit presumptive of you isn't it?

Secondly as I said in the post, who controls their schedule? Could they keep 3 or 4 days clear just in case England made it to the final?
    The Spanish monarch managed to do so, so why couldn't the President of the FA?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Eh? The King didn't get his job until he was 74 when most people are retired
    Unelected!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Yeah, pretty lazy. Most people get their job at 18 or 21.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

It's not really a job, is it? I get that there are a lot of demands on his time, but his hourly rate is a lot better than a pensioner his age would get working at B&Q.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

The King had the job of Prince of Wales from the age of 10
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

It's not really a job, is it? I get that there are a lot of demands on his time, but his hourly rate is a lot better than a pensioner his age would get working at B&Q.
    To be fair King Charles III is a Cambridge graduate, people pay top money for that level of brilliance.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Why do you love these people so much? You doff yer cap to anyone with a title. I bet you even call them Lord or Sir or Lady or Ma'am. I don't get it.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

He doesn't get any salary other than Duchy and Crown Estate revenues to cover his duties, travel and residence running costs.

Most men his age are on the golf course, in the pub, watching day time TV or Netflix, playing bridge, minding the grandchildren or on a cruise with the odd Rotary club function alongside
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

To be fair King Charles III is a Cambridge graduate, people pay top money for that level of brilliance.
    After attending one of the top private schools and managing to get 2 A-Levels, a B and a C.

I wonder how he managed to get into Cambridge with those results?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,056

The ref should have showed a second yellow there, she might as well be wearing a Spain shirt.

Yes kicking the ball away is obviously a yellow card in the rulebook
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

A job the equivalent of sitting in the dressing room padded up while the openers put together a double century partnership.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

After attending one of the top private schools and managing to get 2 A-Levels, a B and a C.

Blair got into Oxford with similar grades, before grade inflation very few got 3 A Grade A levels even at Oxbridge.

Prince William went to St Andrews of course not Oxbridge
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Why do you love these people so much? You doff yer cap to anyone with a title. I bet you even call them Lord or Sir or Lady or Ma'am. I don't get it.
    I am a Tory, I believe in hierarchy and tradition
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

"How do you do fellow kids?"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

He doesn't get any salary other than Duchy and Crown Estate revenues to cover his duties, travel and residence running costs.

Most men his age are on the golf course, in the pub, watching day time TV or Netflix, playing bridge, minding the grandchildren or on a cruise with the odd Rotary club function alongside
    He's earnt this much in "travel expenses"?
    Now, I get it's not all his, but I wouldn't mind being a quid behind him.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/ng-interactive/2023/apr/20/revealed-king-charless-private-fortune-estimated-at-almost-2bn#:~:text=To all intents and purposes,wealth to £1.8bn.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 871

rkrkrk said:

I don't think it would have been at all unreasonable to ask him to keep his diary clear. He is FA President, after all.

And he doesn't have any official engagements until 18th September, when he'll be travelling to New York: https://www.royal.uk/media-centre/future-engagements
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

If you believe in democracy, you should believe in an elected HoS.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,937

rkrkrk said:

Obviously they control their schedule!
    They just don't care very much about women's football. I promise you they'll make the final if the mens team get there.
  • Options
    1-0 to Spain - obviously very disappointing :(
  • Options
    The losernesses. Showing they are just like the men.

Still, good game.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Blair got into Oxford with similar grades, before grade inflation very few got 3 A Grade A levels even at Oxbridge.

Prince William went to St Andrews of course not Oxbridge
    Count yourself privileged to know one of the very few. And from a bog standard comprehensive too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

So Chaz is better than you? Andy? You'd tug yer forelock for him? Meghan? Eugenie? Sir Alan Sugar? Charlotte Owen?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Plus he went to Aberyswyth for a term.

Notably more monarchs went to Cambridge than Oxford, Edward VII, George VI and the King while only Edward VII (also at Oxford) and Edward VIII went to Oxford. The reverse of PMs more of whom went to Oxford than Cambridge
  • Options

Spain won this match because their royals went to the final.

You’re ace. Never change 😂😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    Lionesses have done well, but the better team won on the day. Well done Spain, they deserved the win.

But the Lionesses tried to the very end, they deserve to feel proud in what they've done here.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Final whistle and Spain win, bad luck England well done Spain.

Looks like the Prince saved on a 24 hour round trip then just to see England lose a World Cup final and the royals avert disaster as per TSE's final sentence in the thread header
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,601
    In fairness Spain were the better team. Their midfield was immense, never giving England any time on the ball and breaking fast.
  • Options

Thank heaven Rishi had the political nous to swerve this bunch of losers.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,114
    Spain deserved to win . England can’t have any complaints . A very good tournament for them but just came up short.
  • Options

Or maybe they were just better at football?
  • Options
    Taz said:

You’re ace. Never change 😂😂😂😂😂
    Better team on the day won it. Ref lost it a bit at the end but fair play to the Senoritas, they deserved it.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,077
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men his age don’t play golf or bridge, can’t afford cruises on their inadequate pensions, or are members of the Rotary. I accept, though, that most men of his age that are in your social circle probably do.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Final whistle and Spain win, bad luck England well done Spain.

Looks like the Prince saved on a 24 hour round trip then just to see England lose a World Cup final

Sport isn't just about being there to see victories. 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 608
    The ref was a disgrace.
This discussion has been closed.