Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Where’s Willy? – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,334
    edited August 2023
    No Bank Holiday
    No extra Honours
    No Royal event

Secretly everyone in the FA, Premier League and clubs will be delighted as they've dodged demands for even more subsidy of the womens game.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,829
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Do we know if William couldn't attend because he was already booked for another engagement? I'm mean if, say, he'd cancelled doing the prize-giving at, I dunno, the Blind Orphans with Terminal Cancer Society to fly off on a footie junket then the optics might have looked a tad worse.

Who controls their schedule by the way? Is it them or is it the Government? Or joint? Or some other orgasiation? I tried to find out this morning and couldn't really find an anwer. I know the Lord Chamberlain's department organises big events but I don't think they are the ones deciding on schedules and timetables on a daily basis. Can the heir to the throne simply up and go to the other side of the world at short notice? I don't think there would be diplomatic issues given he is also the heir in Australia but I suppose the Aussie GOvernment would have to have some input.

Still it can't be impossible to organise this even at fairly short notice.
    Short notice? The date of the final has been set for at least a year. It was certain to be a commonwealth country a week ago.

Slap in the face for women's football. Bizarre to me the monarchy have made this error.

They are lazy, this is what happens when you have a job for life.
    Eh? The King didn't get his job until he was 74 when most people are retired
    It's not really a job, is it? I get that there are a lot of demands on his time, but his hourly rate is a lot better than a pensioner his age would get working at B&Q.
    Most men his age are on the golf course, in the pub, watching day time TV or Netflix, playing bridge, minding the grandchildren or on a cruise with the odd Rotary club function alongside
    Most men?
    Absolutely. All those retired miners and steel workers? Rotary Club functions every other night.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,517

Lionesses have done well, but the better team won on the day. Well done Spain, they deserved the win.

But the Lionesses tried to the very end, they deserve to feel proud in what they've done here.

A gallant loser is……a loser.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,343
    edited August 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Do we know if William couldn't attend because he was already booked for another engagement? I'm mean if, say, he'd cancelled doing the prize-giving at, I dunno, the Blind Orphans with Terminal Cancer Society to fly off on a footie junket then the optics might have looked a tad worse.

Who controls their schedule by the way? Is it them or is it the Government? Or joint? Or some other orgasiation? I tried to find out this morning and couldn't really find an anwer. I know the Lord Chamberlain's department organises big events but I don't think they are the ones deciding on schedules and timetables on a daily basis. Can the heir to the throne simply up and go to the other side of the world at short notice? I don't think there would be diplomatic issues given he is also the heir in Australia but I suppose the Aussie GOvernment would have to have some input.

Short notice? The date of the final has been set for at least a year. It was certain to be a commonwealth country a week ago.

Slap in the face for women's football. Bizarre to me the monarchy have made this error.

It's not really a job, is it? I get that there are a lot of demands on his time, but his hourly rate is a lot better than a pensioner his age would get working at B&Q.
    To be fair King Charles III is a Cambridge graduate, people pay top money for that level of brilliance.
    After attending one of the top private schools and managing to get 2 A-Levels, a B and a C.

I wonder how he managed to get into Cambridge with those results?
    Blair got into Oxford with similar grades, before grade inflation very few got 3 A Grade A levels even at Oxbridge.

Prince William went to St Andrews of course not Oxbridge
    Count yourself privileged to know one of the very few. And from a bog standard comprehensive too.
    I was talking the 1960s when Charles and Blair did their A Levels, there weren't many comprehensives then, most state schools were still either grammar schools or secondary moderns
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,077

HYUFD said:

Rishi in the pub with fans in England shirt watching the match

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1693219801240359206?s=20

"How do you do fellow kids?"
    I wonder if he had to show proof of age before the pub admitted him?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,113
    I really thought England would win . It’s astonishing that Spain after all their dramas went onto win the WC.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,725
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men his age are on the golf course, in the pub, watching day time TV or Netflix, playing bridge, minding the grandchildren or on a cruise with the odd Rotary club function alongside
    Most men?
    Of course, Dr Foxy. Of course. And most men vote Conservative, and always will. Of course, most men do not live in Leicester, so you would not know them. Young HY is absolutely right.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Well how long ago did they know England would be in the final. Bit presumptive of you isn't it?

Secondly as I said in the post, who controls their schedule? Could they keep 3 or 4 days clear just in case England made it to the final?
    Obviously they control their schedule!
    They just don't care very much about women's football. I promise you they'll make the final if the mens team get there.
    Actually I would be amazed if they control their own schedules. You are making an assumption based on zero evidence and using that to reinforce your own prejudice.

Indeed wasn't one of the reasons the Ginger Whinger and his missus wanted out was because they didn't want to have to do all that glad handing stuff. They wanted the kudos and the priviledge without the responsibility.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men?
    Most women similar, except maybe playing tennis rather than golf
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Spain won this match because their royals went to the final.

Or maybe they were just better at football?
    They played better because they wanted to impress their royals.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 871

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men?
    Absolutely. All those retired miners and steel workers? Rotary Club functions every other night.
    I actually had to google what rotary club functions are; if I'd had to guess, I would have expected it to be some sort of test for prostate trouble...
  • Options
    No need for an extra bank holiday Monday and parade either now so at least we avoid the hit to productivity I suppose
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

He doesn't get any salary other than Duchy and Crown Estate revenues to cover his duties, travel and residence running costs.

Most men his age don’t play golf or bridge, can’t afford cruises on their inadequate pensions, or are members of the Rotary. I accept, though, that most men of his age that are in your social circle probably do.
    Most men his age I know play golf or bridge, even the average pensioner goes on cruises now, which can be in Europe as much as the Caribbean and plenty are members of voluntary groups.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,988
    Taz said:

Lionesses have done well, but the better team won on the day. Well done Spain, they deserved the win.

But the Lionesses tried to the very end, they deserve to feel proud in what they've done here.

At the end of that road lies... Donald J Trump.
  • Options
    in fairness, if Wills and Rishi had gone, people would have complained about their carbon emissions, particularly if they were on the Government plane
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,744
    edited August 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

He doesn't get any salary other than Duchy and Crown Estate revenues to cover his duties, travel and residence running costs.

You do have an odd view of what us oldies do. I remember you mentioned before about us oldies going on the bus to watch matinées at the cinema and day time coffee shops in addition to that list.

I do not do one single thing from your entire list. I do the same as I did when I was 40 with a slight variation of changing some of the more hazardous activities that required more physical attributes to hazardous ones that require less.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,743
    SandraMc said:

The ref was a disgrace.

Not that bad to be fair. But it wasn't a penalty. VAR is a menace - did VAR get instigated because the Spanish players and coach appealed - if yes then doubly bad.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,331
    nico679 said:

I really thought England would win . It’s astonishing that Spain after all their dramas went onto win the WC.

Their dramas didn't have anything much to do with their actual footballing skills.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men?
    Of course, Dr Foxy. Of course. And most men vote Conservative, and always will. Of course, most men do not live in Leicester, so you would not know them. Young HY is absolutely right.
    What else do you expect them to do in-between planning what massive inheritance they're going to leave to their children?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

To be fair King Charles III is a Cambridge graduate, people pay top money for that level of brilliance.
    After attending one of the top private schools and managing to get 2 A-Levels, a B and a C.

I wonder how he managed to get into Cambridge with those results?
    Blair got into Oxford with similar grades, before grade inflation very few got 3 A Grade A levels even at Oxbridge.

Prince William went to St Andrews of course not Oxbridge
    Count yourself privileged to know one of the very few. And from a bog standard comprehensive too.
    I was talking the 1960s when Charles and Blair did their A Levels, there weren't many comprehensives then, most state schools were still either grammar schools or secondary moderns
    The same rules applied when I sat mine. Pre-grade inflation.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,556
    edited August 2023
    HYUFD said:

Final whistle and Spain win, bad luck England well done Spain.

Looks like the Prince saved on a 24 hour round trip then just to see England lose a World Cup final and the royals avert disaster as per TSE's final sentence in the thread header

Although in a sense it's even more important to be present for the tough times. It's Sports Day, you bust a gut but don't quite win the sprint. Just touched off into 2nd. You seek out your mum and dad for consolation. Not there.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,072

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Well how long ago did they know England would be in the final. Bit presumptive of you isn't it?

Secondly as I said in the post, who controls their schedule? Could they keep 3 or 4 days clear just in case England made it to the final?
    Obviously they control their schedule!
    They just don't care very much about women's football. I promise you they'll make the final if the mens team get there.
    Actually I would be amazed if they control their own schedules. You are making an assumption based on zero evidence and using that to reinforce your own prejudice.

Indeed wasn't one of the reasons the Ginger Whinger and his missus wanted out was because they didn't want to have to do all that glad handing stuff. They wanted the kudos and the priviledge without the responsibility.
    It is pretty clear in The Spare that it is the Monarch that makes the final decision on schedules.

Willy should have been there for the Semi-Final. It would have looked good to the Australians too. That SF was the most watched TV programme in Australia in history.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men?
    There aren't many retired miners and steel workers left now, however in former mining areas many even most pensioners now own their own homes and have reasonable pensions, see 2019 when many redwall seats went Tory and had been trending that way for some time even pre Brexit.

There are of course working mens' club functions too or pub quiz nights etc
  • Options
    LDLFLDLF Posts: 146
    edited August 2023
    There ought to have been at least one Royal there today; this really is part of their role. I agree that the apparent precariousness of the institution in Australia is probably the biggest contributing factor to their absence.

I am amused by the assertion that their mere presence would have inspired their team to win, like some sort of hero unit in a real-time strategy video game.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,095
    If that's the official ideal Tory vision for my retirement I'll be happy to check out in ten years.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,349
    HYUFD said:

No need for an extra bank holiday Monday and parade either now so at least we avoid the hit to productivity I suppose

Perhaps Wills got a memo from Rishi: We've already had enough productivity-draining bank holidays because of your family; make sure the Lionesses lose by not attending the final so we don't have to schedule another.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    LDLF said:

There ought to have been at least one Royal there today; this really is part of their role. I agree that the apparent precariousness of the institution in Australia is probably the biggest contributing factor to their absence.

I am amused by the assertion that their mere presence would have inspired their team to win, like some sort of hero unit in a real-time strategy video game.

Why? Australia can't even agree to allow Aborigines a voice in Parliament on latest polls let alone get the 2/3 of states to replace the monarchy with a republic. In rural and suburban Australia and Queensland especially the monarchy is still very popular, it is only really the liberal left elite in Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra who hate the monarchy. Indeed in 1999 only the ACT and Canberra voted for a republic
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,331
    BBC or ITV?
  • Options

Taz said:

At the end of that road lies... Donald J Trump.
    Not really, that pearl of wisdom came from a US soccer coach over a decade ago.
  • Options
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12424903/Sir-Keir-Starmer-called-witness-public-inquiry-Andrew-Malkinsons-wrongful-conviction-rape-led-spending-17-years-bars.html

The Daily Mail would happily supported having Malkinson hanged.

This must have been a difficult article for them to write.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,988
    Stocky said:

SandraMc said:

The ref was a disgrace.

Not that bad to be fair. But it wasn't a penalty. VAR is a menace - did VAR get instigated because the Spanish players and coach appealed - if yes then doubly bad.
    It pretty clearly was a penalty under the current rules. Good save though.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men his age don’t play golf or bridge, can’t afford cruises on their inadequate pensions, or are members of the Rotary. I accept, though, that most men of his age that are in your social circle probably do.
    Most men his age I know play golf or bridge, even the average pensioner goes on cruises now, which can be in Europe as much as the Caribbean and plenty are members of voluntary groups.
    Do you not think that maybe those you know fit just a particular subset of retired men? I don't know, but maybe from the local Conservative Association?

Do you think the profile you have given fits a single retiree posting here?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men?
    There aren't many retired miners and steel workers left now, however in former mining areas many even most pensioners now own their own homes and have reasonable pensions, see 2019 when many redwall seats went Tory and had been trending that way for some time even pre Brexit.

The first time Tories in the red wall did not head from the golf course to the polling station. From the Spoons, perhaps.

Which of course points us back to the Conservatives' challenge. Trying to appeal to your mates on the golf course and the 10am Spoons crowd.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

You do have an odd view of what us oldies do. I remember you mentioned before about us oldies going on the bus to watch matinées at the cinema and day time coffee shops in addition to that list.

I do not do one single thing from your entire list. I do the same as I did when I was 40 with a slight variation of changing some of the more hazardous activities that required more physical attributes to hazardous ones that require less.
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

You like driving and racing classic cars, also a classic pensioner activity
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,174
    And saved!

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men?
    LOL. You are clueless as to the lives of normal people.
    I don’t play golf or bridge …… don’t understand the latter ….. and neither does my wife. I’ve been on three cruises in the 19 years since I retired.
    And we’re approaching the stage where the grandchildren look after us!
  • Options

And saved!

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men?
    I don’t play golf or bridge …… don’t understand the latter ….. and neither does my wife. I’ve been on three cruises in the 19 years since I retired.
    3 cruises is far more than most under 50s have been on
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,072

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men?
    To be fair my Mum has been in the Tory Party for 70 years, and did play tennis every week until her knees gave out in her early Eighties.

Never seen my Dad do anything on your list
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,170
    edited August 2023

Foxy said:

Personally I think Camilla, in a suit of armour, riding a horse up and down the pitch - saying she thought foul scorn that Parma or Spain, or any prince of Europe, should dare to invade the borders of her realm - would have made all the difference.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men?

The first time Tories in the red wall did not head from the golf course to the polling station. From the Spoons, perhaps.

Which of course points us back to the Conservatives' challenge. Trying to appeal to your mates on the golf course and the 10am Spoons crowd.
    As most own their own homes in both groups not as big a problem as you suggest
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Queen of Spain greets her nation's team as they collect the trophy
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 871

in fairness, if Wills and Rishi had gone, people would have complained about their carbon emissions, particularly if they were on the Government plane

I don't understand this excuse that people are making on his behalf (and I note that he hasn't actually used environmentalism as a reason himself).

He'd have gone on a commercial flight - it's not as if it's a state visit with the need to bring lots of flunkies and the press along. BA would have found him a couple of first class seats for him and his wife, and few aides could have travelled in Club World. The plane would have been going anyway, so the additional carbon footprint would have been minimal.

His next engagement is in mid-September - he'll be flying to New York for the Earthshot Prize, and then home a few days later.

He's the President of the Earthshot Prize Foundation, so it seems pretty reasonable to compare this visit with a potential trip to the world cup final in his capacity as FA President. Is anyone actually complaining about its environmental impact?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,137
    LDLF said:

If Baldy were astute and gave a fuck about the monarchy in Australia he should have gone to the semi and worn a half and half. Then been unfortunately and "accidentally" papped doing a shoey in a Brisbane pub after the game. Monarchy secured in the Great Southern Land for another century.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LDLF said:

Why? Australia can't even agree to allow Aborigines a voice in Parliament on latest polls let alone get the 2/3 of states to replace the monarchy with a republic. In rural and suburban Australia and Queensland especially the monarchy is still very popular, it is only really the liberal left elite in Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra who hate the monarchy. Indeed in 1999 only the ACT and Canberra voted for a republic
    I lived down-under in 1999, I can assure you that the No campaign won in 1999 not because of any love of the monarchy.

The No campaign won by campaigning to reject the specific proposed version of a republic.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

LDLF said:

I lived down-under in 1999, I can assure you that the No campaign won in 1999 not because of any love of the monarchy.

The No campaign won by campaigning to reject the specific proposed version of a republic.
    It won by a combination of both. Rural and outer suburban Australia hates the left liberal elites in the inner cities
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,311
    edited August 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Lots of social media messages from politicians saying the entire nation is cheering for the Lionesses. But that’s not true. Unless that nation is England. And if England is a nation, so are Wales and Scotland (Northern Ireland is more complicated). And if England, Scotland and Wales are nations, how can the UK be a nation state?

After the Second World War the government ought to have insisted on one UK team. There wouldn't have been much of a fuss at the time if they'd done it then.
    Why? What utter drivel. We play as separate nations in pretty much all major team sports, not just football.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,334
    Polling for Australian Indigenous Voice is interesting.

Started with huge support for Yes but now looks likely that No will win.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2023_Australian_Indigenous_Voice_referendum
  • Options
    Definitely more talent in the Spanish squad.

More skillful players too.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    MikeL said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2023_Australian_Indigenous_Voice_referendum

Yes which would be a shock for Australia on a par with Brexit here.

Looks like Victoria, Tasmania (and NT and ACT will vote for) but South Australia, NSW and overwhelmingly Western Australia and Queensland will vote against
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,392

Lots of social media messages from politicians saying the entire nation is cheering for the Lionesses. But that’s not true. Unless that nation is England. And if England is a nation, so are Wales and Scotland (Northern Ireland is more complicated). And if England, Scotland and Wales are nations, how can the UK be a nation state?

That implies a very exclusive idea of nationhood. In other contexts would you argue that people cannot belong to two nations at once?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,095
    Meanwhile.
    Britain's outstanding sportswoman will go for gold in the heptathlon later.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,349
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LDLF said:

It won by a combination of both. Rural and outer suburban Australia hates the left liberal elites in the inner cities
    Yes, I remember monarchist Alf making those very points in Home and Away. (The environmentalists were a particular focus of his ire.)
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,437
    edited August 2023

Stocky said:

SandraMc said:

The ref was a disgrace.

The referee was perfectly placed to judge and in her place I would have given the same decision. She no doubt saw the defender touch the ball - those things are actually much easier to spot from the field of play - but thought it was no more than an accidental brush and ruled accordingly. We live in the world of VAR though and the old interpretations of intent no longer apply there, so I wasn't surprised the ref was overruled.

England's tactics were questionable throughout though. Spain played a neat passing game through midfield but their finishing wasn't great and they looked capable of mistakes at the back. England tried to counter them through long balls but you need good playmakers and a couple of strong strikers for that to work, and they were lacking in both respects. The result was the ball kept coming back at them and they spent huge amounts of energy in fruitless ball-chasing. That took its toll and made it unlikely they could capitalise on the odd bits of pressure they did manage.

I'd have liked to see them use a less direct approach themselves and try to build pressure slowly, maybe also flooding midfield to break up the Spanish game. It was frustrating to watch because you felt woman for woman England had the stronger eleven, but the better teamwork got Spain home, deservedly.

Good fun though, and good for the women's game.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

And saved!

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men?
    To be accurate, one of those cruises was before either of us retired. And you suggested going on cruises etc was a ‘normal’ retirement activity..
    As was playing golf and bridge.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Queen of Spain greets her nation's team as they collect the trophy

Wills snubs the match entirely...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Yes which would be shock for Australia on a par with Brexit here.

Looks like Victoria, Tasmania (and NT and ACT will vote for) but South Australia, NSW and overwhelmingly Western Australia and Queensland will vote against
    No, you're showing your lack of knowledge again, it won't be that much of a shock.

Almost every proposed referendum in Australian history has failed. Referendums failing down-under is the norm, not a shock.

Robert Menzies famously once said The truth of the matter is that to get an affirmative vote from the Australian people on a referendum proposal is one of the labours of Hercules.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

No, you're showing your lack of knowledge again, it won't be that much of a shock.

Almost every proposed referendum in Australian history has failed. Referendums failing down-under is the norm, not a shock.

Robert Menzies famously once said The truth of the matter is that to get an affirmative vote from the Australian people on a referendum proposal is one of the labours of Hercules.
    Of course it would be a shock especially given the big Yes lead at the start of the campaign and also show deep cultural divisions in Australia on the extent of wokeness and its history
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And saved!

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men?
    To be accurate, one of those cruises was before either of us retired. And you suggested going on cruises etc was a ‘normal’ retirement activity..
    So you took 2/3 of your cruises in retirement, thanks for confirming
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

You like driving and racing classic cars, also a classic pensioner activity
    Not really true about me, but I understand why you would assume so from my previous posts. So fair dos.

I'm not a good driver. I have never actually raced. The only cars I have driven around a race track were proper current racing cars just to have a go at it, which I have done several times. I have also enjoyed several goes in a Ferrari 430 and I have been thinking about buying a Panther J72, E type or Cobra replica (quick someone revive @Dura_Ace). So I guess you are right there.

But really I do these things because I am too old to ski black runs (although I might have another go) or trapeze a catamaran and I was too old for squash several decades ago. So I replace the thrill with cars and stuff like the flight in the Pitts Special (wanted to do it, never want to do it again) and I replace the squash with cycling trips. Otherwise I am the same.

The key point is:

a) many pensioners can't afford cruises and golf

b) and many of those lucky enough, like me who can, would rather shoot themselves than do either, or come to that pop down to the cinema matinee, play bridge or join the Rotary. It would be time to end it all.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Foxy said:

Personally I think Camilla, in a suit of armour, riding a horse up and down the pitch - saying she thought foul scorn that Parma or Spain, or any prince of Europe, should dare to invade the borders of her realm - would have made all the difference.
    I think Camilla, Charles, Wills and Kate performing ‘Rose tint my world’ instead of the national anthem, before the game, would have sealed the deal.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Meanwhile.
    Britain's outstanding sportswoman will go for gold in the heptathlon later.

And will Prince William be at the World Athletics Championships to see her?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,236
    It seems for some journalists, it's not so much that England lost that is causing them pain, but that Spain - and their manager - won.

https://twitter.com/jonathanliew/status/1693232046926340310

Jonathan Liew
    @jonathanliew
    no shame in losing to the better team. a certain small amount of shame in losing to jorge vilda
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And saved!

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men?
    I’ve taken 100% of mine while working. 👍
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,831
    edited August 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Of course it would be a shock especially given the big Yes lead at the start of the campaign and also show deep cultural divisions in Australia on the extent of wokeness and its history
    No, it won't.

The truth is that referenda in Australia have typically followed such a pattern. Its something I studied, in school, down-under in the 90s (ie prior to the republic referendum). Its a well known and well understood phenomenon. The same happened with the republic referendum, started with large Yes poll leads, then became the typical No by the time of the poll.

So please stop trying to pretend otherwise.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,556
    Rishi has put out a statement. Says they can be proud, as we are and he is.

Off the hook?
  • Options

Stocky said:

SandraMc said:

The ref was a disgrace.

The referee was perfectly placed to judge and in her place I would have given the same decision. She no doubt saw the defender touch the ball - those things are actually much easier to spot from the field of play - but thought it was no more than an accidental brush and ruled accordingly. We live in the world of VAR though and the old interpretations of intent no longer apply there, so I wasn't surprised the ref was overruled.

England's tactics were questionable throughout though. Spain played a neat passing game through midfield but their finishing wasn't great and they looked capable of mistakes at the back. England tried to counter them through long balls but you need good playmakers and a couple of strong strikers for that to work, and they were lacking in both respects. The result was the ball kept coming back at them and they spent huge amounts of energy in fruitless ball-chasing. That took its toll and made it unlikely they could capitalise on the odd bits of pressure they did manage.

I'd have liked to see them use a less direct approach themselves and try to build pressure slowly, maybe also flooding midfield to break up the Spanish game. It was frustrating to watch because you felt woman for woman England had the stronger eleven, but the better teamwork got Spain home, deservedly.

People forget Spain got tonked 4-0 by Japan in the group stage. They were not invincible. Sadly, nor were we.
  • Options

Stocky said:

SandraMc said:

The ref was a disgrace.

People forget Spain got tonked 4-0 by Japan in the group stage. They were not invincible. Sadly, nor were we.
    No, we have a very good team, but not quite worldbeaters. Nothing to be ashamed of there though.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

No, it won't.

The truth is that referenda in Australia have typically followed such a pattern. Its something I studied, in school, down-under in the 90s (ie prior to the republic referendum). Its a well known and well understood phenomenon. The same happened with the republic referendum, started with large Yes poll leads, then became the typical No by the time of the poll.

Bart, you've really disappointed me.

We all know about Latin plurals but this is England and we are English. Referendums please, or wear a toga when posting.

[Skulks off.]
  • Options
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And saved!

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men?
    I’ve taken 100% of mine while working. 👍
    I have taken exactly Zero cruises and intend to keep it that way. You would have to roll me down the gang plank I would be so fat and drunk.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

No, it won't.

If you think a No win in the indigenous voice referendum, a cornerstone of his government's platform and key for the left liberal cultural elites in Australia won't send a torpedo through his government then you are being naive.

It would be even more a populist rejection of urban elites than Brexit. What Albanese should have done is get a cross party commission including Aboriginal leaders to agree a consultative body all could support but he didn't
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

No, it won't.

Bart, you've really disappointed me.

We all know about Latin plurals but this is England and we are English. Referendums please, or wear a toga when posting.

[Skulks off.]
    How do you know he isn't?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,137
    kjh said:

Panther J72, E type or Cobra replica

I have been buying Panthers and burning them out in a quarry to stop you getting one.

This is what I think of the other two options.

• Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    I'm retired but never played golf or bridge in my life. Never been on a cruise. Can't stand gardening. I have gone down Willy Waver at Bike Park Wales on a hardtail without falling off though.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

kjh said:

Panther J72, E type or Cobra replica

I have been buying Panthers and burning them out in a quarry to stop you getting one.

This is what I think of the other two options.

Charming.

Is there anything I can pick that would be worse?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,005
    Just spent some time in Rijeka while wandering around Croatia a bit.

For those who don’t know, it used to be Fiume. Large Italian population and quite a separate identity from the rest of Croatia.

The locals wanted (largely) a multi-ethnic Free State. And no, this isn’t to be confused with D'Annunzio little proto Fascist comedy of trying to turn Fiume into a part of Italy (semi-detached).

After WWII, Tito was initially in favour of autonomy - since the those if favour of that option had fought with the Partisans against the Germans. Then he noticed that ethnic cleansing was in fashion (see movement of Poland, elimination of East Prussia). The leaders of the autonomy movement were murdered, and the local ethnic Italian population were pushed out of the country. All traces of Fiume as a separate identity were wiped out.

Facts on the ground, eh?

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,876
    HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Yes which would be a shock for Australia on a par with Brexit here.

I suspect they think it's the start of a very long funnel of grievance politics.

Everyone can be properly represented through the existing Australian parliament.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,876

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

No, it won't.

It's a warning for any putative Rejoin movement here too.

Can you imagine the tears if their lead totally collapsed during the campaign?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And saved!

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Most men?
    Thought about it earlier but given that my wife was a teacher cruises were only available at expensive times.
    I wouldn’t dispute for a moment that we’re not on the bottom rung of the ‘income in retirement’ ladder, but the picture you paint is not at all typical. We don’t restrict ourselves, either, to meeting with our former colleagues, or the equivalent; we mix with people we like whom we’ve come across in a mix of circumstances.
    One of my main activities is the U3a, the University of the Third Age, which has all ‘sorts’ of members.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

No, it won't.

You are "debating" a "Know It All" who is again proving to us, that he's really "Know Jack Shit".
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

you halfwit , what does he do. The clown cannot even dress himself. A parasite robbing the public.
This discussion has been closed.