Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Saturday afternoon open thread – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,312
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

As an alternative to the travel recommendations which are the most dreary places to visit in this country and others ?

Stoke
    Bognor
    Middlesbrough
    Grimsby/Cleethorpes
    Bradford
    Southend-on-Sea
    Hayling Island
    Blackpool
    How could you leave Walsall off that list?
    Cromer says 'Hi'.
    I think, though, that Walsall crabs are likely an entirely different species…
    Do you acquire them dressed?
    Give them a couple of cocktails and they’ll quickly get undressed.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    ydoethur said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

I sense several narratives turning for Ukraine. Maybe not in a good way

Doesn’t it worry you sound like a Russian troll who regularly praise you?
    Are we sure it's a Russian troll? There's one poster on here suspected of having multiple identities who has praised Leon in the past...
    @ydoethur old mate, listen up!

1. The multiple (or at least serial) identity person to whom you refer is just Seumas having a laugh. Relax. Why shouldn't he praise Leon? Are you jealous? Do you want me to have a word with him and suggest he switches to praising Boris Johnson sometimes for a change?

2. In other news, key fake identities here include

a - BlancheLivermore - The documentation this silly Oxford graduate has posted to back up their legend as a postal worker is just hilarious.

b - Dura_Ace - He's much better at it. If he doesn't give advanced instruction to the 77th Brigade, he should. Still gives frequent tells, though.

3. BartholomewRoberts - He isn't included as item 2c. He did start off doing a covert job, but he came to enjoy banging his head so much that eventually his main motivation became to prove to himself that he's got a hard head, because look how he bangs it so much. Saying he went native in politico debating society world would be a kind of way of putting it. His narrowness of range makes him one of the most boring posters here.

4. Miklosvar is Ishmael_X. He couldn't resist saying some of the same doubtless (for him) intellectually extremely hard-won but nonetheless essentially navel-gazing stuff that he similarly couldn't resist saying under his previous identity.

5. The Saturday "Russian troll" isn't by any means a serious effort. It's either a 19yo at the CDU or at a pinch one of the other British trolling agencies just doing it out of habit more than anything else, being so chuffed with himself that he can do stuff under false names on the internet ("Look, Mum! I'm James e-Bond"), or else it's TSE exercising his infantile side on his Saturday hangover. The Saturday effort is a good way to tempt out the saddo men in their 50s who think they're fighting an online psywar effort against the Kremlin though, by denouncing literary efforts to the effect that "Our boys destroyed Kiev last night innit". (OK, with some references to weaponry added in. But countering this crap is of no importance except for the feeble-minded and over-funded.)
    If a plane crashes on the Ukraine/Republic of China border, on which side of the border do you bury the survivors?
    Depends somewhat on who's on the plane.

If it's Mad Vlad or Bad Lav or any of their fellow Russian government ministers, the key thing is they must be buried. The side of the border is immaterial.

If it's anyone else, then as survivors they're still alive it's probably worth waiting a bit for burying them. So again, the side of the border is again immaterial.
    Bring out your dead!

So I take it that your on for my Exuberant Greater Ukrainian Irredentism?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,024

Cookie said:

PB: After 8 idyllic years of family holidays in Cornwall, the consensus is that the time has come to try somewhere else. But where? I'm open to going abroad, but flying a family of five in the school holidays is prohibitively expensive and every time I've been to France it's been disappointing. Anyone had any good family holidays in the Netherlands or Germany (or anywhere else apart from Cornwall)? Kids will range from 14 to 9.

I'd also recommend the Black Forest, we got the train to Strasbourg via Paris, then hired a car. Some great walking and our kids loved a brilliant waterpark there called Rulantica. We've had short breaks in the Netherlands. One tip is to stay in Rotterdam, much cheaper than Amsterdam and loads to see round there too.
    Skye and Arran are the best of the Scottish islands IMHO. Arran is a bit of a hidden gem. Quite small but loads to see.
    Are you sure you are sick of Cornwall? I can't imagine that! We go to Whitsand Bay every year, I don't think I will ever get bored of it.
    To be clear, I'm far from sick of Cornwall! I have loved my holidays there, and Polzeath is my favourite beach in the world. But I think it's important with kids to see and do new things, and we've now seen and done almost everything there is to do in the 10 miles or so round there. (We did coasteering this year - jumping into the sea from 30 foot ledges on cliffs - that was new.) And more pertinently, the large family group which we go with is getting larger, and babies are coming onto the scene - what was once just the five of us plus my mother in law is becoming a large unwieldy group.
    And we've got maybe five more holidays with my oldest daughter before she gies and does her own thing, and playing on the big field behind the lodge with kids from neughbouring lodges is not the easy joy it was for her a few years ago - but if she hangs round with the family she gets given baby cousins to look after.
    And also, wonderful as Cornwall is, there's a big wide world out there.
    So, with some tears and regret, and with not a great deal of certainty, because these holidays have been the best and happiest of my life, it's time to consider the rest of the world.

• CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Are we sure it's a Russian troll? There's one poster on here suspected of having multiple identities who has praised Leon in the past...

1. The multiple (or at least serial) identity person to whom you refer is just Seumas having a laugh. Relax. Why shouldn't he praise Leon? Are you jealous? Do you want me to have a word with him and suggest he switches to praising Boris Johnson sometimes for a change?

a - BlancheLivermore - The documentation this silly Oxford graduate has posted to back up their legend as a postal worker is just hilarious.

b - Dura_Ace - He's much better at it. If he doesn't give advanced instruction to the 77th Brigade, he should. Still gives frequent tells, though.

3. BartholomewRoberts - He isn't included as item 2c. He did start off doing a covert job, but he came to enjoy banging his head so much that eventually his main motivation became to prove to himself that he's got a hard head, because look how he bangs it so much. Saying he went native in politico debating society world would be a kind of way of putting it. His narrowness of range makes him one of the most boring posters here.

4. Miklosvar is Ishmael_X. He couldn't resist saying some of the same doubtless (for him) intellectually extremely hard-won but nonetheless essentially navel-gazing stuff that he similarly couldn't resist saying under his previous identity.

5. The Saturday "Russian troll" isn't by any means a serious effort. It's either a 19yo at the CDU or at a pinch one of the other British trolling agencies just doing it out of habit more than anything else, being so chuffed with himself that he can do stuff under false names on the internet ("Look, Mum! I'm James e-Bond"), or else it's TSE exercising his infantile side on his Saturday hangover. The Saturday effort is a good way to tempt out the saddo men in their 50s who think they're fighting an online psywar effort against the Kremlin though, by denouncing literary efforts to the effect that "Our boys destroyed Kiev last night innit". (OK, with some references to weaponry added in. But countering this crap is of no importance except for the feeble-minded and over-funded.)
    Good to have you back Charles.
    It can't be Charles, he hasn't tried to justify the actions of the Republican party.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528

darkage said:

boulay said:

Cicero said:

boulay said:

As an alternative to the travel recommendations which are the most dreary places to visit in this country and others ?

Estonia by the sound of things.
    Certainly not dreary... in fact extremely beautiful.
    It is indeed but you are posting a very negative view of it. As someone with long held positive views of it and deep experience of the troubles of the Russian influence - bad influence which cost an Estonian friend their life - try and be more positive about the place and it’s future.
    I don't have much knowledge about Estonia, but in Finland I can detect a sense of relief that the truth about Russia has been revealed. There is no naivety about Russia anymore. No pretence that it is benign and that investment from it should be welcomed. That debate is over.

Finland also remains untouched by mass tourism, pretty much - and I suspect that the Finns are generally happy with this arrangement. But it has a lot to offer.
    Most Finns of my acquaintance, going back over 50 years, are wary of Russia. I don't think there was ever any naivety about "our Eastern neighbour"

• viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    edited August 2023
    boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Charles will never come back. He'll never forgive us for listening to him. :smiley:
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

It can't be Charles, he hasn't tried to justify the actions of the Republican party.
    Whoever “Yest” is they are good. Either we have the head honcho or they are a regular who is stirring. Can’t wait for the next exposure - PB Confidential.
  • Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Your post is more full of bollocks than my boxer shorts.

I mean me having a hangover?

I am a good Muslim, I have never drunk alcohol.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,743

England are going to win the rugby union world cup.

Give us the Webb Ellis trophy now.

It's coming home.

Farrell’s always been a bit of a thug.
    Will be interesting to see them play without him.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Jeez we’re mint

All thanks to Saudi blood money.
    Wait until Jeddah gets the Olympics, because no-one else is willing to throw $100bn at hosting them.
    I was talking to an engineer recently and he told me his firm had been asked to look into Saudi hosting the Winter Olympics (they basically said "ummm, you could, but it would be expensive, even for you."
    Surely, there's snow chance of that?
    edited August 2023
    CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

...nor mentioned his uncle the Archbishop, his cousin the Prime Minister, or his sister who manages the England women's football team.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,068

Ayr, Clacton, Scunthorpe, Broadstairs, Peacehaven, Stevenage, Corby, Kettering, Wolverhampton, Runcorn, Leek, Widnes, Mansfield, Thetford, Ramsgate, Rugeley, Dudley, Burton on Trent, Hinckley, Bexhill, Littlehampton, Ipswich, Brownhills, Hertford, Colchester, Chelmsford, Broughton Moor, Motherwell, East Kilbride, Letchworth.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,623

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

...nor mentioned his uncle the Archbishop, his cousin the Prime Minister, or his sister who manages the England women's football team.
    Am I sailing close to the wind though if I mention he wasn't too thrilled if anyone said all his relatives were whores?

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Jeez we’re mint

Wait until Jeddah gets the Olympics, because no-one else is willing to throw $100bn at hosting them.
    I was talking to an engineer recently and he told me his firm had been asked to look into Saudi hosting the Winter Olympics (they basically said "ummm, you could, but it would be expensive, even for you."
    Weirdly they do have snowy mountains. I remember seeing them on a flight to India. It’s not beyond their budget to add fake snow and apparently they are focussed on developing winter sports and destinations in their mountains. Considering the Winter Olympics in Sochi were pretty much all on fake snow it’s not unlikely.

Sadly the days of Calgary and Nagano where everywhere in wide camera shot was full of thick snow are gone - as long as they get the white bits where Needed now they can have a Winter Olympics.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

Jeez we’re mint

Mint is the word… I’d love Swindon to get an investment like yours…

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Jeez we’re mint

It got an icy reception, does that count?

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leave it out Ishmael.
    ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Am I sailing close to the wind though if I mention he wasn't too thrilled if anyone said all his relatives were whores?
    Isn't that just the cadet branch of his family?

It's coming home.

In June 2003 England beat NZ in Wellington despite being reduced to 12 at one point, and scrumming with 6 vs 8. We all know what happened next…
    Nigelb said:

It's coming home.

The last three times I've been to Twickenham I've had (three different) extremely loud and people slagging off Farrell for the full 80 minutes. I sense he's not that popular.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Given the recent polls that suggested that the Americans either like our King better than any possible President or that they want to crown The Donald, are the Republicans actually… Republican anymore?
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,212
    geoffw said:

darkage said:

boulay said:

Cicero said:

boulay said:

It is indeed but you are posting a very negative view of it. As someone with long held positive views of it and deep experience of the troubles of the Russian influence - bad influence which cost an Estonian friend their life - try and be more positive about the place and it’s future.
    I don't have much knowledge about Estonia, but in Finland I can detect a sense of relief that the truth about Russia has been revealed. There is no naivety about Russia anymore. No pretence that it is benign and that investment from it should be welcomed. That debate is over.

Finland also remains untouched by mass tourism, pretty much - and I suspect that the Finns are generally happy with this arrangement. But it has a lot to offer.
    Most Finns of my acquaintance, going back over 50 years, are wary of Russia. I don't think there was ever any naivety about "our Eastern neighbour"

Yeah, the relief is possibly more that the outside world is less naive about Russia, although obviously there are differences of opinion within Finland about how best to handle the problem.

I'm not really informed enough to comment on Finnish politics but people have told me that Russia has a lot of influence over one of the political parties (possibly the centre party?) and that there is a fifth column of Russophiles in Finland who are lying low. I've no idea if this is true but it is what I've been told.
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

I don't know who this other guy is, but know this: I came top of roll at Winchester. There's other minor shit like firsts at Oxford in the mix, but that's trivia. So don't call me stupid.
  • algarkirk said:

Ayr, Clacton, Scunthorpe, Broadstairs, Peacehaven, Stevenage, Corby, Kettering, Wolverhampton, Runcorn, Leek, Widnes, Mansfield, Thetford, Ramsgate, Rugeley, Dudley, Burton on Trent, Hinckley, Bexhill, Littlehampton, Ipswich, Brownhills, Hertford, Colchester, Chelmsford, Broughton Moor, Motherwell, East Kilbride, Letchworth.
    Hmmmm.....Hertford is borderline ok.
    Miklosvar said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

I don't know who this other guy is, but know this: I came top of roll at Winchester. There's other minor shit like firsts at Oxford in the mix, but that's trivia. So don't call me stupid.
    The path trodden by Rishi Sunak.

Although I wouldn't say he's exactly a shining advert for it.
    ydoethur said:

Miklosvar said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Top.Of.Roll.

Not some half arsed Beloeite.
    darkage said:

geoffw said:

darkage said:

boulay said:

Cicero said:

boulay said:

Yeah, the relief is possibly more that the outside world is less naive about Russia, although obviously there are differences of opinion within Finland about how best to handle the problem.

I'm not really informed enough to comment on Finnish politics but people have told me that Russia has a lot of influence over one of the political parties (possibly the centre party?) and that there is a fifth column of Russophiles in Finland who are lying low. I've no idea if this is true but it is what I've been told.
    I know of some who take Putin's shilling ruble. They are rare however

• I think Owen Farrell is getting a huge ban.

Good. He's got form in s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶a̶r̶g̶e̶s̶ questionable tackles, and has too often got away with just a penalty when other players have been carded. A decent coach would have knocked this out of him before it became entrenched behaviour and prejudiced his presence from the England World Cup squad. I for one won't miss him. Give a cleaner player a chance to shine instead.

algarkirk said:

Rugeley and Burton are both better than Cannock. Or Cinderford. Or Pontarddulais...
    Mike Flynn, one of Trump’s ‘some very good people’.

Describing his trip to Auschwitz, Mike Flynn blames the Jews for being exterminated in WWII because there were “thousands of them and not many guards” and the Jews willingly went along with the Nazis: “OK here’s my child and got on the train.”..
    https://twitter.com/jimstewartson/status/1690197383228125184

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Given the recent polls that suggested that the Americans either like our King better than any possible President or that they want to crown The Donald, are the Republicans actually… Republican anymore?
    https://youtu.be/fXU2vZTTeMU

Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

Miklosvar said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Top.Of.Roll.

Not some half arsed Beloeite.
    He was a Trantite, however I have to bow to you for being top of the roll. I would have bullied you mercilessly out of intellectual insecurity.
    CatMan said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

The Republicans are definitely a sideshow these days.

Let's hope they stay that way at least until they come to their senses and boot out the nutcases.
    ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Let's hope they stay that way at least until they come to their senses and boot out the nutcases.
    They do all seem to keep stepping on rakes though.
  • Scotland looking surprisingly up for it against France
    ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Kelsey Grammer being a Trump supporter is such a disappointment :disappointed:
    ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Sounds like it.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,905
    CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Yes I was shocked when I read that . Frasier is one of my all time favourite series . I still watch it and try and give Grammer a pass due to some horrific events that he and his family suffered in the past .

Nigelb said:

It's coming home.

The last three times I've been to Twickenham I've had (three different) extremely loud and people slagging off Farrell for the full 80 minutes. I sense he's not that popular.
    It’s a shame, as he’s not without a great deal of talent.
    CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

I don’t know, I quite like the fact that actors could reflect a spread of the population. Not like he ever plays roles where he is a fluffy liberal so not hypocritical. Mind you I’m wishing Roman Polanski’s Frantic was on tv now so I am not great at caring about artists and their acts in real life.
    nico679 said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Yes I was shocked when I read that . Frasier is one of my all time favourite series . I still watch it and try and give Grammer a pass due to some horrific events that he and his family suffered in the past .
    Detach the art from the man, every time. Why should your enjoyment of Frasier (one of the all time great classics) be tempered because one of the cast votes in a way you disapprove of?
    CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

When it comes to Kelsey Grammer disappointments, just wait until you see who's in the Frasier reboot
  • Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It's coming home.

It *is* a shame, he has bags of talent, but he spoils it with cynical foul play
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It's coming home.

I get echos of the 80’s and Rob Andrew vs Stuart Barnes. Farrell is an excellent player, but unlikely to set pulses racing. He is prone to trying for big hits, and has become known for it. I think he has been singled out more for his reputation to be honest, and now we live in a stupid era of ultra slow mo review where no leniency is given for split second mistakes. Refs should ONLY see the real time replays.

Ultimately Farrell is not likely to pull of a stunning line break to win a game, but will pump 7 from 7 penalties to win the match.

algarkirk said:

Yes, there are flickers of interest, but lacks character. My abiding memory of the place is of a decent pasty I found at a baker's. No-one would go there for fun or enlightenment.

Andras Schiff's encore has the orchestra standing up to sing as a choir which he accompanies
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,905

nico679 said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Detach the art from the man, every time. Why should your enjoyment of Frasier (one of the all time great classics) be tempered because one of the cast votes in a way you disapprove of?
    That’s a good point . I still enjoy Frasier but was troubled by his Trump support . I also liked Person of Interest and then found out Jim Caviezel is a real conspiracy theorist and bible basher. I’ve decided to now stop finding out about tv stars and just watch the shows .
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Jeez we’re mint

They do have some mountains up to around 10,000’, so it’s not out of the question to put snow generators up there, with a little bit of ‘re-shaping’ of the rock formations, even if it is 15ºC at ground level.

Totally mad, but the Saudis are in “totally mad” mood at the moment when it comes to sports events.

I could well imagine them building an athletics stadium that’s just about definable as outdoors, fully air-conditioned, and engineered to blow a constant just-legal wind that sees track and field records getting smashed to bits.
    ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Rugeley and Burton are both better than Cannock. Or Cinderford. Or Pontarddulais...
    This relies on the doctrine that nothing is bad is worse is possible. I haven't mentioned Hull, Leicester, Rotherham, Worthing, Cumbernauld, Billingham, Batley, Featherstone, Doncaster, Luton, Cleator Moor, Dover, Thurrock or Tilbury yet.

• viewcode said:

Stoke
    Bognor
    Middlesbrough
    Grimsby/Cleethorpes
    Bradford
    Southend-on-Sea
    Hayling Island
    Blackpool
    Bradford has Asian restaurants, museums, the Brontes, the Railway Children and Ilkley moors.
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

That’s a good point . I still enjoy Frasier but was troubled by his Trump support . I also liked Person of Interest and then found out Jim Caviezel is a real conspiracy theorist and bible basher. I’ve decided to now stop finding out about tv stars and just watch the shows .
    If you think that's a problem - TS Eliot said after ww2, after Dimbleby had reported on Belsen etc, that it was all very well but if the remaining Jews continued to breed we'd be back with the same problem in a couple of generations. How is one meant to carry on reading the 4 quartets and so on?
  • CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Sideshow Kelsey!
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,529

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Which reminds me. "I, Claudius" is being repeated on BBC 4 from this week.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Jeez we’re mint

Good start for Harvey Barnes.

He is patchy, and either does nothing or is devastating, and not really a defender, but one of the best from our academy.

A good start to the Foxes rebuild, with 3 straight wins including the cup midweek. Really enjoying the season.

nico679 said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Would we really think the same of Shostakovich if we thought he had a great and abiding love for Stalin?

The problem with Trump is not political but moral.

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Jeez we’re mint

They do have some mountains up to around 10,000’, so it’s not out of the question to put snow generators up there, with a little bit of ‘re-shaping’ of the rock formations, even if it is 15ºC at ground level.

Totally mad, but the Saudis are in “totally mad” mood at the moment when it comes to sports events.

I could well imagine them building an athletics stadium that’s just about definable as outdoors, fully air-conditioned, and engineered to blow a constant just-legal wind that sees track and field records getting smashed to bits.
    Or more obviously, host the "summer olympics" in February.

Indeed with global warming that might be sensible anyway.
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

I take your point, but you end up picking and choosing. I really enjoyed "Person of Interest". Jon Voight and James Woods are both Trumpists but have given very good performances and the films they were in would be diminished by their absence. It's not cut-and-dried.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018

Woking.
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Jim Caviezel is a great actor but has been limited in his career by his beliefs. People would be angry if he was cancelled or held back for being a pinko or gay and should be as angry for him being held back because he’s a bit of a nut job. It works both ways.
  • tlg86 said:

Woking.
    But Woking has a fine Pizza Express that is fit for royalty.
    boulay said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Jim Caviezel is a great actor but has been limited in his career by his beliefs. People would be angry if he was cancelled or held back for being a pinko or gay and should be as angry for him being held back because he’s a bit of a nut job. It works both ways.
    Indeed.
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Jeez we’re mint

Or more obviously, host the "summer olympics" in February.

Indeed with global warming that might be sensible anyway.
    Quite. It's no longer a slam dunk that the alps are going to have snow in January. SA know they aren't, so will be better prepared
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    boulay said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Jeez we’re mint

Weirdly they do have snowy mountains. I remember seeing them on a flight to India. It’s not beyond their budget to add fake snow and apparently they are focussed on developing winter sports and destinations in their mountains. Considering the Winter Olympics in Sochi were pretty much all on fake snow it’s not unlikely.

Sadly the days of Calgary and Nagano where everywhere in wide camera shot was full of thick snow are gone - as long as they get the white bits where Needed now they can have a Winter Olympics.
    Saudi are hosting the Asian Winter Games.
  • CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

But not a surprise, surely? Kelsey Grammar has long been a celebrity Republican and Trump was GOP president.
    Miklosvar said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

boulay said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

If you think that's a problem - TS Eliot said after ww2, after Dimbleby had reported on Belsen etc, that it was all very well but if the remaining Jews continued to breed we'd be back with the same problem in a couple of generations. How is one meant to carry on reading the 4 quartets and so on?
    I’m very lucky in that I don’t enjoy anything by TS Eliot or the works of the Bloomsbury set so I don’t have to avoid their work on the basis of being anti-Semitic shits as I already did so on the basis of them being dull.
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

This relies on the doctrine that nothing is bad is worse is possible. I haven't mentioned Hull, Leicester, Rotherham, Worthing, Cumbernauld, Billingham, Batley, Featherstone, Doncaster, Luton, Cleator Moor, Dover, Thurrock or Tilbury yet.

If there is a bleaker bit of England than Cleator Moor I haven't been there.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

What's wrong with Bont?
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Coalville isn't up to much.
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Looks lovely. Bleak is good.
  • YesttYestt Posts: 2
    Miklosvar said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

You must have been quite bright when you were 12 or 13. And what are you now, a long-term druggie who can't even not give himself accidentally away when he switches from one identity to another on a betting website.

Top of roll yes but still joined a house. Probably still got your strat. So you're a something-ite, if not a Trantite or Beloeite.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    algarkirk said:

I once had a friend who lived in Hinckley. It used to have a very good specialist aero and military bookshop down by Watling Street. Really good. But that is now gone, so, er ...
    Yestt said:

Miklosvar said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

You must have been quite bright when you were 12 or 13. And what are you now, a long-term druggie who can't even not give himself accidentally away when he switches from one identity to another on a betting website.

Top of roll yes but still joined a house. Probably still got your strat. So you're a something-ite, if not a Trantite or Beloeite.
    Mexican stand off here. The rumbling is not unidirectional.
  • YesttYestt Posts: 2
    Any theories yet on why Leon wrapped the word Holocaust in inverted commas in his latest piece in the Speccie?

https://archive.is/jKN4m
    edited August 2023
    Yestt said:

Miklosvar said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Is this English? If it is, it is a more advanced version than I am used to.
  • For those who want some 1980s retro doom and gloom about England then this American PBS program might be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ5mrHzFQck

It makes the mistake of focusing on nimby poshos and scousers while ignoring the 90%.
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

I once had a friend who lived in Hinckley. It used to have a very good specialist aero and military bookshop down by Watling Street. Really good. But that is now gone, so, er ...
    Hinckley hospital is about to be closed, because the fabric of the building is in such a dire state, but is unique in my experience in having a unisex staff changing room.

Not some fancy modern wokism, it just has always been like that. Males and females get changed in the same room simultaneously, though there is a concertina type screen.
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

I played rugby against Coalville once. I have never come across such a selection of oddly shaped humans.
    Quite nice fellas though. Very hospitable.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    Question for those more familiar with the stock markets: what is the English term for "Börsenmantelaktiengesellschaft" - apparemtly a company established for the sole purpose of obtaining a stock exchange listing?
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Perhaps I can be devil's advocate for a moment, and point out that Cleator Moor has a quite magnificent Catholic church, by Pugin no less. I never pass it without stopping.
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

I played rugby against Coalville once. I have never come across such a selection of oddly shaped humans.
    You have never played in the Gwendraeth Valley then? Forwards and three quarters alike, all 5ft4 tall and 5ft 4 wide.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited August 2023
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

When I worked there in 2005-6 at the Council Coalville had a very good olde type butcher (iirc) that also sold excellent olde English drinks like Dandelion and Burdock.

And a huuuuge paper distribution depot from where high quality colour printer paper could be bought for very little - provided the order was quite a large number of reams.

And the Council had to regulate East Midlands Airport which was fun.

Anecdote: the possibility of wanting to continue working there was why I created this pseudonym, as at the time Councils and Public Sector organisations were in the habit of sacking bloggers, and it was a tactic to report people opponents to their employer for blogging to try and get them silenced or sacked.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    Benpointer asked whether diet might explain the Hispanic advantage. That might be part of it, though I haven't seen any evidence one way or another.

I do think it more likely that their advantage comes from eating with their families and neighbors more often. (One reason the question may have drawn less attention than it deserves is that -- if the advantage is caused by stronger families, it is hard to think of public policies that would encourage such famlies in other groups.)

(We do know that some groups are especailly vulnerable to Western diets: The Akimel O'odham (better known as Pima) Indians, of Arizona, are adapted to the rough food of the deserts there -- and get Type 2 diabetes athigher rates than any other group in the world.)
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,349

Question for those more familiar with the stock markets: what is the English term for "Börsenmantelaktiengesellschaft" - apparemtly a company established for the sole purpose of obtaining a stock exchange listing?

"Special purpose acquisition companies" (SPACs) ??
    Yestt said:

Any theories yet on why Leon wrapped the word Holocaust in inverted commas in his latest piece in the Speccie?

Although @Leon has got a long, long[1] line of sins trailing behind him like a slime trail, I have to say that antisemitism isn't one of them.

[1] long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long...

Special purpose acquisition company (SPAC)?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special-purpose_acquisition_company
    Yestt said:

Leon and the Spectator writer are according to Leon different people. Although I get the impression they travel together and although I can't be sure, most likely share the same bed.
    Yestt said:

Miklosvar said:

Yest said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Blimey - I’m getting angry college-man vibes here! Poor parents, big brain, bad haircut, no social skills. Otherwise a top troll. And anyone who took an exhibition rather than going into college at least had common sense mixed with intelligence.
    Promising clarity of purpose from the Trump judge.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1690024764218232835
    CHUTKAN: "While I intend to ensure that Mr. Trump is afforded all the rights that any citizen would have. I also take seriously my obligation to prevent [Supreme Court] has called a carnival atmosphere of unchecked publicity and trial by media."

"This case is no exception."

Quite a close from CHUTKAN:

"I intend to ensure the orderly adminsitratio nof justice in this case as I would with any other case. Even arguably ambiguous statements from parties or their counsel … can threaten the process."

"In addition, the more a party makes inflammatory statements about this case which could taint the jury pool ... the greater the urgency will be that we proceed to trial quickly ... I will take whatever measures are necessary to safeguard the integrity of these proceedings."

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Harry Kane entering the field of play in the German Super Cup. To make him feel at home, Bayern are 2-0 down.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    Read any good books lately?* I have two recommendations for all of you, Randall Munroe's "What If?", and the Tony Hillerman Navajo detective stories.

In the last week, the first provided a welcome relief from politics for me. I have read most of the Hillerman stories over the years, and enjoy them mostly for their descriptions of the country and the peoples there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hillerman

(*For years, I have been wishing that one of our news folks would ask that question of a political candidate.)
    The Russians don’t even need to have their aircraft shot down any more, they maintain them so badly that they crash on training flights and lose the crew.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/08/12/russia-ukraine-war-latest-zelensky-military-recruitment/

A Russian Su-30 fighter jet has crashed during a training mission in the enclave of Kaliningrad , killing both pilots on board.

“The Su-30 aircraft crashed in a deserted area. The flight was carried out without ammunition. The crew died,” local military authorities said.

Military officials said that it was likely caused by a technical malfunction.
    Regrettably.

So a federal judge just revoked bail for a billionaire with shaky finances and a long history of fraud, because defendant leaked case details, trying to intimidate witnesses -- and now defendant has to report to jail pending trial.

Somehow, this isn't a tweet about Donald Trump.

https://twitter.com/TristanSnell/status/1690145417101807618
    MattW said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

When I worked there in 2005-6 at the Council Coalville had a very good olde type butcher (iirc) that also sold excellent olde English drinks like Dandelion and Burdock.

And a huuuuge paper distribution depot from where high quality colour printer paper could be bought for very little - provided the order was quite a large number of reams.

And the Council had to regulate East Midlands Airport which was fun.

Anecdote: the possibility of wanting to continue working there was why I created this pseudonym, as at the time Councils and Public Sector organisations were in the habit of sacking bloggers, and it was a tactic to report people opponents to their employer for blogging to try and get them silenced or sacked.
    Yes, a very good butcher. I often used to get stuff there when I worked in Coalville Hilospital.
  • Sandpit said:

The Russians don’t even need to have their aircraft shot down any more, they maintain them so badly that they crash on training flights and lose the crew.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/08/12/russia-ukraine-war-latest-zelensky-military-recruitment/

A Russian Su-30 fighter jet has crashed during a training mission in the enclave of Kaliningrad , killing both pilots on board.

“The Su-30 aircraft crashed in a deserted area. The flight was carried out without ammunition. The crew died,” local military authorities said.

Military officials said that it was likely caused by a technical malfunction.

From your link: Two Russian fighter jets also crashed last month while on training missions, one into the Pacific Ocean and one into the Sea of Azov.

Flying too close to open windows, I expect.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    edited August 2023
    tlg86 said:

Harry Kane entering the field of play in the German Super Cup. To make him feel at home, Bayern are 2-0 down.

Tempted to sell my family into indentured servitude to raise funds to lay Bayern Munich for the Bundesliga now that Kane has joined.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited August 2023
    Amusement of the day.

I see the anti-Ulez Parliamentary petition has closed after 6 months of pushing with 15,906 signatures.

Meanwhile the one from "Free our Streets - Bath" achieved 9 signatures.

And "Make it a legal requirement for drivers to stop & report collisions with cats" achieved 102,437 sgnatures.

The latter was debated in Parliament:
    https://youtu.be/LwRK4Yqdp8U?t=145

LTNs, if not the ULEZ, should reduce collisions with cats.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    Sandpit said:

Special purpose acquisition company (SPAC)?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special-purpose_acquisition_company
    Perfect, thank you and Barnesian very much.

Yestt said:

Leon and the Spectator writer are according to Leon different people. Although I get the impression they travel together and although I can't be sure, most likely share the same bed.
    Masturbation - sex with someone you love…
This discussion has been closed.