Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Biden now a 40% betting chance of winning WH2 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,651

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

You just have to watch an interview with Trump to realise that his age simply does not matter.

There has been no obvious decline in his faculties and he retains all the weird energy he had before. (snip)

In yet another demo of my almost freaky detachment and fairmindedness, PB's biggest Trump hater (me) would agree with you here.
    Trump has wisely avoided too many injudicious facial interventions. Biden's face is tight as a drum, but it actually ages him more.
    Biden looks and acts older than he is. He could easily pass for 90.
    I think it's more he looks his age. These days everybody over 50 strains to look younger than they are - 70 is the new 25 and all of that nonsense - and so somebody just looking their age is deemed to have let themselves go.
    I would hardly call this the face of a rugged all-American hero bravely looking his age.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15595866/joe-bidens-face-plastic-surgeons-cosmetic-procedures/
    Sorry, can't click. The Sun.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,490

Stocky said:

2/2 Continuation:

Attention turned to the second, more general, concern: why on earth was this eye-wateringly expensive and seemingly inappropriate village chosen? Surely a cheaper and larger location would be more appropriate economically? Parishioners were struggling with the maths. Some are smart cookies.

Parishioner: This makes no sense economically.

Rep: There is only a small profit margin and details are commercially confidential.

Parishioner: Are you a charity? I guess you fund this partly from donations?

Rep: No we are a private business. We have no donations. The only funding we have is council-funding.

Parishioner: Then what aren’t you telling us? 6 F/T staff plus 1 P/T plus 2 cars plus upkeep and other costs, plus insurance plus the commercial rent of a 1.5M house at £50k pa? For 2 children? The council pay? You are kidding us?
    Etc Etc

The parishioners left the meeting feeling bewildered about the economics of it rather than being overly concerned about the change of use. What was being concealed?

I’ve been mulling this over for two weeks now. I reckon this property will cost £0.5M pa to run, purely council-funded.

For two children.

We often talk of the cost of nursing homes for the elderly. We need to pay attention to child social care costs. It is no wonder that councils are going bust.

See below:
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/28/councils-england-wales-pay-1m-pounds-a-year-to-house-child-in-private-care-home#:~:text=11 months old-,Councils in England and Wales pay £1m a year,child in private care home&text=More than 20 councils in,released to the Guardian shows.

Comments?

2/2

Hence the old joke that sending all the children in care to Eton and Winchester would be cheaper.
    The real reason for this is almost certainly like this. If you read the Winston Smith blog about working in a care home, care homes are one stop shopping for er.... taxi drivers.

The problem was a combination of a number of children, no supervisory powers to stop them doing stuff and the local presence of unsavoury characters.

So, setting up a (in effect) a family home in the middle of nowhere, for 2 children, *might* counteract these effects. It would certainly appear to be an attempt to doo the diametric opposite of previous efforts.
    Aren't those very different sorts of children in care? Stocky is talking about children with multiple disabilities who need high dependency care. The Winston Smith blog was talking about children who are physically well, but in social care because of issues with their parents.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,878
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

You just have to watch an interview with Trump to realise that his age simply does not matter.

There has been no obvious decline in his faculties and he retains all the weird energy he had before. (snip)

In yet another demo of my almost freaky detachment and fairmindedness, PB's biggest Trump hater (me) would agree with you here.
    Trump has wisely avoided too many injudicious facial interventions. Biden's face is tight as a drum, but it actually ages him more.
    I think it's more he looks his age. These days everybody over 50 strains to look younger than they are - 70 is the new 25 and all of that nonsense - and so somebody just looking their age is deemed to have let themselves go.
    I would hardly call this the face of a rugged all-American hero bravely looking his age.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15595866/joe-bidens-face-plastic-surgeons-cosmetic-procedures/
    Click on this one and steal their picture/bandwidth without looking at any of their ads or other content: https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/JF-US-JOE-BIDEN-SURGERY-COMP2.jpg?w=1280&quality=44

Looking ravaged and careworn would be a considerable improvement on what he's done to himself.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,874

HYUFD said:

I am not on the CCHQ approved candidates' list and not interested in applying for the moment, though I know a few who are on the list who will be interested in the seats approved candidates can now apply for

I can't imagine a more diligent local MP.

Bearing in mind some of the utter dross that have become Conservative candidates and MPs I am surprised you haven't thrown your hat into the ring. (Edit: them not you!)

Time ticks by young HY. But only a few years ago I left University in my 20s. I turned around twice and before I knew it I became eligible for my Welsh bus pass.

If the Tories do crash and burn at the next GE, being in pole position for the rebuild wouldn't be a bad place to be.
    I think HYUFD would be a good Tory MP - dependable, intelligent, loyal but not dumb. They could do a lot worse (and frequently do).
    Damned by faint praise. "They could do a lot worse (and frequently do)", whilst being true for Tories and Labour, it is not the endorsement I would like for anyone standing for the Mother of Parliaments.

There are aspects of HY that I quite like. There are lots that I do not, and his inability to do anything other than toe the party line is the main one. The Tory Party in particular desperately needs intelligent independent thinkers rather than groupspeakers. SO for that reason, "I'm out".
    When you look at some MPS who have taken the shilling and done nothing for their constituents. Hat tips go to jailbird Jared, Mad Nad and Bozo, By comparison I would imagine HY's constituents would get a top quality service.
    As I say, faint praise and low bars spring to mind. If he has ever had a novel idea or unique perspective on events then he must have expressed them when I haven't been on here. His support for Johnson when it was obvious to all that the man was an habitual liar demonstrates HY, by extension, has no integrity. His tanks in Scotland and the childish "proper Tory" debates demonstrate his level of argument.

Sorry, but I think he would be a disastrous MP, and I think none of you are doing him any favours by encouraging him .Maybe as most of you who are anti-Tory you think it amusing. Town council is about where he should be on the Peter Principle from what I can see.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

There has been no obvious decline in his faculties and he retains all the weird energy he had before. Meanwhile, Biden...

He's pretty incoherent in interviews. I don't see someone in full possession of his faculties. You could say that he was the same 8 years ago, so he may be a few sandwiches short of a picnic, but he hasn't declined... but he doesn't seem to me to have the same feel for the electorate he once did. He survives on his prior popularity.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

The Presidency ages people pretty hard as well.

I recall people criticising Bush II and Obama for taking too much time off. Even too much exercise! Given that the President is running the government wherever he is, these days, it just seemed sane to me.
    Good point. It does, and so it should. US Presidents tend to visibly age at a rate faster than your average person. Trump didn't because he did no work. Just larded around watching tv, playing golf, and talking trash.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Trump will keel over in mid-rant. At some point.
    Those final 3 words would win Olympic weightlifting gold at a canter.
    The stats say something like a 5% chance this year...

I don't think he'll fade away, it'll be sudden.
    Yep that's a solid enough call. Re the 5% it's worth noting it's not only death that would knock him out of WH24 on health grounds. So would a whole host of medical events. It's not a bad idea to list them and assign a probability to each - although maybe not on here.
    I wouldn't dream of betting directly on them on the basis of morbidity and mortality risk. Nothing could be more distasteful. But it does make long odds flutters on the likes of Christie more appealing given how sharply everything is going to shorten if the main man goes down.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,783
    edited August 2023

HYUFD said:

I am not on the CCHQ approved candidates' list and not interested in applying for the moment, though I know a few who are on the list who will be interested in the seats approved candidates can now apply for

Bearing in mind some of the utter dross that have become Conservative candidates and MPs I am surprised you haven't thrown your hat into the ring. (Edit: them not you!)

Time ticks by young HY. But only a few years ago I left University in my 20s. I turned around twice and before I knew it I became eligible for my Welsh bus pass.

If the Tories do crash and burn at the next GE, being in pole position for the rebuild wouldn't be a bad place to be.
    I think HYUFD would be a good Tory MP - dependable, intelligent, loyal but not dumb. They could do a lot worse (and frequently do).
    Damned by faint praise. "They could do a lot worse (and frequently do)", whilst being true for Tories and Labour, it is not the endorsement I would like for anyone standing for the Mother of Parliaments.

There are aspects of HY that I quite like. There are lots that I do not, and his inability to do anything other than toe the party line is the main one. The Tory Party in particular desperately needs intelligent independent thinkers rather than groupspeakers. SO for that reason, "I'm out".
    When you look at some MPS who have taken the shilling and done nothing for their constituents. Hat tips go to jailbird Jared, Mad Nad and Bozo, By comparison I would imagine HY's constituents would get a top quality service.
    As I say, faint praise and low bars spring to mind. If he has ever had a novel idea or unique perspective on events then he must have expressed them when I haven't been on here. His support for Johnson when it was obvious to all that the man was an habitual liar demonstrates HY, by extension, has no integrity. His tanks in Scotland and the childish "proper Tory" debates demonstrate his level of argument.

Sorry, but I think he would be a disastrous MP, and I think none of you are doing him any favours by encouraging him .Maybe as most of you who are anti-Tory you think it amusing. Town council is about where he should be on the Peter Principle from what I can see.
    Far be it for me to excuse some of HY's more outlandish foibles, I nonetheless believe his work ethic as a local MP would be excellent. That said I don't want him as my Prime Minister or even in the cabinet, but as a constituency MP he would be first rate.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,290
    a

Stocky said:

2/2 Continuation:

Attention turned to the second, more general, concern: why on earth was this eye-wateringly expensive and seemingly inappropriate village chosen? Surely a cheaper and larger location would be more appropriate economically? Parishioners were struggling with the maths. Some are smart cookies.

Rep: There is only a small profit margin and details are commercially confidential.

Rep: No we are a private business. We have no donations. The only funding we have is council-funding.

Parishioner: Then what aren’t you telling us? 6 F/T staff plus 1 P/T plus 2 cars plus upkeep and other costs, plus insurance plus the commercial rent of a 1.5M house at £50k pa? For 2 children? The council pay? You are kidding us?
    Etc Etc

The parishioners left the meeting feeling bewildered about the economics of it rather than being overly concerned about the change of use. What was being concealed?

I’ve been mulling this over for two weeks now. I reckon this property will cost £0.5M pa to run, purely council-funded.

For two children.

We often talk of the cost of nursing homes for the elderly. We need to pay attention to child social care costs. It is no wonder that councils are going bust.

See below:
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/28/councils-england-wales-pay-1m-pounds-a-year-to-house-child-in-private-care-home#:~:text=11 months old-,Councils in England and Wales pay £1m a year,child in private care home&text=More than 20 councils in,released to the Guardian shows.

Comments?

2/2

Hence the old joke that sending all the children in care to Eton and Winchester would be cheaper.
    The real reason for this is almost certainly like this. If you read the Winston Smith blog about working in a care home, care homes are one stop shopping for er.... taxi drivers.

The problem was a combination of a number of children, no supervisory powers to stop them doing stuff and the local presence of unsavoury characters.

So, setting up a (in effect) a family home in the middle of nowhere, for 2 children, *might* counteract these effects. It would certainly appear to be an attempt to doo the diametric opposite of previous efforts.
    Aren't those very different sorts of children in care? Stocky is talking about children with multiple disabilities who need high dependency care. The Winston Smith blog was talking about children who are physically well, but in social care because of issues with their parents.
    I thought the issues weren't specified as physical?

Some the children in the Winston Smith examples were in care because of massive issues with themselves - and not receiving more than money and enablement of self destructive behaviours.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HY isn't pompous though, so there's always that.
    Yes there is that, except that he often posts as though he is posting fact, when in fact he is posting opinion of his own or unsubstantiated opinion of others. Anyway, I won't say anymore, as I don't want to look like character assassination as I am sure he is actually a nice chap. I just don't think he should be encouraged to be an MP.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

I couldn't give a shit how old he is so long as he can do the job. He seems to be doing quite well.
    He is. The concern is the 2nd term but compared to a Trump2 that is no concern at all.
  • Options
    A

Eabhal said:

There has been no obvious decline in his faculties and he retains all the weird energy he had before. Meanwhile, Biden...

He's pretty incoherent in interviews. I don't see someone in full possession of his faculties. You could say that he was the same 8 years ago, so he may be a few sandwiches short of a picnic, but he hasn't declined... but he doesn't seem to me to have the same feel for the electorate he once did. He survives on his prior popularity.

they had "a few conversations" with Sir Humphrey before the "advancing years, without in any way impairing his verbal fluency, disengaged the operation of his mind from the content of his speech,"
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

I recall people criticising Bush II and Obama for taking too much time off. Even too much exercise! Given that the President is running the government wherever he is, these days, it just seemed sane to me.
    Good point. It does, and so it should. US Presidents tend to visibly age at a rate faster than your average person. Trump didn't because he did no work. Just larded around watching tv, playing golf, and talking trash.
    A job that kills people is a poorly design job.

Bush II used Cheney as more than a figure head VP - which upset a lot of people in Washington, who couldn't understand a President not hating his VP and relegate him to doing nothing.

Obama gave Biden less to do - but still more than traditional.

The Presidential Cabinet could be more than figureheads, as well, if the President is so inclined.

Delegation is a part of good leadership.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,458
    Stocky said:

2/2 Continuation:

Etc Etc

For two children.

See below:

Comments?

2/2

I am sure that it depends on the level of care (@dixiedean has some expertise in this) but care for these children can be very pricy.

Near me was such a home for a half dozen kids for a while. It was a nightmare for the neighbours, with vandalism, thefts, drugs, and the police round a couple of times per week until it got closed down after an inspection. The staff made no real attempt to control the kids, it was just a private company profiteering. No doubt these kids are being a nightmare somewhere else now.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Yep that's a solid enough call. Re the 5% it's worth noting it's not only death that would knock him out of WH24 on health grounds. So would a whole host of medical events. It's not a bad idea to list them and assign a probability to each - although maybe not on here.
    I wouldn't dream of betting directly on them on the basis of morbidity and mortality risk. Nothing could be more distasteful. But it does make long odds flutters on the likes of Christie more appealing given how sharply everything is going to shorten if the main man goes down.
    There are plenty of things more distasteful than betting on public figures dying.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/why-hundreds-drowned-off-the-coast-of-greece
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,782
    edited August 2023
    O/T

This is interesting IMO. From 1954 to 1968 Abbot Laboratories ran an advertising campaign for their drug Pentothal by sending postcards from unusual and exotic locations around the world to thousands of doctors in the USA, Canada and elsewhere. (It's the sort of thing Adam Curtis would be interested in).

"The postcards and the truth drug
    Adam Curtis

Sodium Pentothal is an anaesthetic. But it was also used by both sides in the Cold War as a truth drug in interrogations. It was made by Abbot Laboratories. They used a very strange way to advertise Pentothal. They sent postcards from around the world - the first here is from Rwanda - to doctors in America."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/entries/af0b094e-20e0-3429-bc40-ee3610f6b7e9

"It is interesting to read the messages,
    each of which varies but carries the same theme about ‘the
    natural choice of Pentothal as an intravenous anaesthetic’.
    All the postcards except one are signed ‘abbott’. Stamps and
    franking of the card often lead to interesting stories; for
    instance, one describes Lundy Island, England as ‘a place
    without Pentothal’. In 1961, out of 286 000 mailings from a
    town called Wilkes in Australian Antarctic Territory, 280
    000 were from Abbott. This venture resulted in local mailing
    restrictions. The 1958 Abbott mailing from Punta Arenas,
    Chile, took 8 months to complete as there was only one part
    time postal worker there, working 1 h a day with a hand
    cancel stamper. Baghdad had to be dropped off the mailing
    list because of bureaucracy and red tape."

https://www.bjanaesthesia.org.uk/article/S0007-0912(17)35053-5/pdf
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,579
    Malmesbury said: "10.7% probability tha[t] *one* of them keels over in the next year....

Someone tell me I am wrong, please?"

I won't, but I would like to see what a life actuary would add to that analysis. Trump is obese, eats a poor diet, gets little exercise, and is getting less and less social support from those around him. (I think the actuary would also want to look at how long their parents and grandparents lived.)

Biden has had two brain operations, but takes better care of himself than Trump does. People laughed when he fell off a bicycle, but I doubt very much that Trump is even able to ride a bicycle.

Here's a relevant 2019 Politico article, with some data, and some discussion: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/20/joe-biden-old-age-1468635

(For the record: I am between the two in age, but take better care of myself than Trump, and, probably, Biden.)
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Bush II used Cheney as more than a figure head VP - which upset a lot of people in Washington, who couldn't understand a President not hating his VP and relegate him to doing nothing.

The Presidential Cabinet could be more than figureheads, as well, if the President is so inclined.

Quite. And how is it that Trump apparently did no work and larded around watching TV, playing golf and talking trash, yet is apparently the biggest threat to the world since whatever killed the dinosaurs? He must be exceedingly effective in the zero time he actually spends working.

Attitudes to Trump even amongst a collection of the allegedly sensible are completely loony.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Why not? - we are a betting site. The fact that two quite elderly men are the front runners is signifiant. Trump is in poor physical shape, but active. Biden looks physically healthier.

As I noted earlier - we are looking at a ~10% probability that one (or both) of them keels over before election day.
    What I mean is you (or me) - no, let's say you - should do it and post the conclusion, which I agree is relevant for betting purposes, but we don't need to see the workings, don't need to see all of the 'non death but campaign ending events' - catastrophic stroke, fall and hit the head, abdominal aneurysm, sudden onset psychosis etc etc.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Far be it for me to excuse some of HY's more outlandish foibles, I nonetheless believe his work ethic as a local MP would be excellent. That said I don't want him as my Prime Minister or even in the cabinet, but as a constituency MP he would be first rate.
    I am sure people thought that about Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options

a

Stocky said:

2/2 Continuation:

Etc Etc

For two children.

See below:

Comments?

2/2

I thought the issues weren't specified as physical?

Some the children in the Winston Smith examples were in care because of massive issues with themselves - and not receiving more than money and enablement of self destructive behaviours.
    I am uncertain.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,606
    edited August 2023
    When I referred to poor nutrition under HO care earlier, I hadn't realised there were actual cases of scurvy as well as the TB we known about.

Also: "weeks" before the barge is fit for use again. (Which surprises me a bit. Perhaps they just use a slow tester.)
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Quite. And how is it that Trump apparently did no work and larded around watching TV, playing golf and talking trash, yet is apparently the biggest threat to the world since whatever killed the dinosaurs? He must be exceedingly effective in the zero time he actually spends working.

Attitudes to Trump even amongst a collection of the allegedly sensible are completely loony.
    If Biden does make it to his second term and Pope Francis pops his clogs and is replaced by a younger model there is the very real prospect that the Pope is younger than POTUS

I wonder if that has ever happened before?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,219
    edited August 2023
    Since we are on Usonian Elections, I see that the Mississippi constitutional lifetime bar on people convicted of some crimes (including shoplifting and bouncing a >$100 cheque) having a vote has been struck down.

The barred crimes you can lose the right to vote for include: voter fraud, murder, rape, bribery, theft, arson, obtaining money or goods under false pretense, perjury, forgery, embezzlement, bigamy, armed robbery, extortion, felony bad check, felony shoplifting, larceny, receiving stolen property, robbery, timber larceny, unlawful taking of a motor vehicle, statutory rape, carjacking or larceny under lease or rental agreement.

Numbers:

Population: 2.95 million.

Last Presidential Election in Mississippi:

Electorate: 2.19 million
    Votes cast: 1.314 million.
    Turnout: 60.6%

*Current* prison population: ~20,000

Meaningful impact?

https://www.npr.org/2023/08/04/1192295228/mississippi-felon-voting-law-blocked
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

If Biden does make it to his second term and Pope Francis pops his clogs and is replaced by a younger model there is the very real prospect that the Pope is younger than POTUS

Ha, Yes! Ronald Reagan and Pope JP2
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Spoken like an assiduous lobbyist!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

When I referred to poor nutrition under HO care earlier, I hadn't realised there were actual cases of scurvy as well as the TB we known about.

Also: "weeks" before the barge is fit for use again. (Which surprises me a bit. Perhaps they just use a slow tester.)
    That piece doesn't refer to poor nutrition under HO care, it refers to inadequate screening, strongly implying (as seems somewhat more likely) that the sufferers picked up their conditions before they got to the UK. Catering for asylum seekers in the UK is by companies who are obliged by their contracts to provide fresh fruit at any time of the day.

What I find interesting is the aggression (and frankly sheer length) of this anti-Suella briefing from a 'senior Tory':

“This utter farce follows endless warnings to Home Office ministers about the prospect of health outbreaks, inadequate health screening and wider public health concerns following cases of TB and scurvy in recent weeks in these highly contentious migrant accommodation sites.

“Having created a serious and now deadly migrant housing crisis, it is obvious to all that the Home Secretary has lost all control and authority on the issue of illegal migration.

“She is responsible for this crisis and should be held to account for her irresponsible actions that have brought disease to these sites and now threaten the public health of the local community.

“She should be sacked.”

It reads more like a press release than someone sounding off in frustration to a journalist. Absolutely toxic.
  • Options
    Here is an interesting article in the Grauniad that will be an absolute shocker to people like @kinabalu who really does believe that only Labour supporters have virtue and all Tory voters are evil:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/the-truth-is-tory-voters-are-onboard-for-net-zero-what-s-really-worrying-them-is-how-we-get-there/ar-AA1f5iGa?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=349a23fda9744fe99b4ebb13a4a0cf33&ei=50
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Click on this one and steal their picture/bandwidth without looking at any of their ads or other content: https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/JF-US-JOE-BIDEN-SURGERY-COMP2.jpg?w=1280&quality=44

Looking ravaged and careworn would be a considerable improvement on what he's done to himself.
    I think he looks ok. If that's me at 80, I'll take it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,782
    Michelle Obama is now 3rd favourite for the Dem nom.

Biden 1.36
    Newsom 13
    M Obama 23
    Kennedy 25
    Harris 27

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.178163685
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,579
    Just a reminder to HYUFD: George W. Bush won the 2004 presidental race: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_United_States_presidential_election

(During his time in office, life expectancies rose for all major groups, and the US did something unusual for a developed country in recent decades: Total Fertility rate rose above 2.1 in a couple of years, while he was in office.)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Does chartered accountancy improve or accelerate the aging process do you think?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Looks like people playing games with photos to me - soft focus on the older one, carefully selected recent one, where expression is stretching the skin.

It's a simple trick to get a photo of just about anyone that makes them look mad, sick etc - modern digital camera, shoot non-stop until you get the momentary expression you want.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Looking my age is no problem. Acting my age is trickier.
    Well you've gone seriously downhill in a short space of time. Just last year you used to look like a progressive bald greek god with a penchant for motorbikes, leather trousers, and democratic ownership of the economy.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,361

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I agree. He would, however, need to keep the 'invade Scotland' rhetoric out of the chamber and keep it for the fringe. Perhaps a newly formed Scottish Research Group.
    Surely, he should keep it in the tank?
    Ukraine says hi, and asks if there’s any tanks going spare…
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Of course it is. But the responsibility ages you nevertheless. It's because the buck stops with you and you care. Trump didn't.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,459
    Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

I've seen 90yr olds. He does not look 90. He's not bad for 80, but that's not really a boast... :(
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I agree. He would, however, need to keep the 'invade Scotland' rhetoric out of the chamber and keep it for the fringe. Perhaps a newly formed Scottish Research Group.
    Surely, he should keep it in the tank?
    Ukraine says hi, and asks if there’s any tanks going spare…
    I don't think they would want a Covenanter.
  • Options

Here is an interesting article in the Grauniad that will be an absolute shocker to people like @kinabalu who really does believe that only Labour supporters have virtue and all Tory voters are evil:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/the-truth-is-tory-voters-are-onboard-for-net-zero-what-s-really-worrying-them-is-how-we-get-there/ar-AA1f5iGa?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=349a23fda9744fe99b4ebb13a4a0cf33&ei=50

That headline pretty much matches the discussions that happen here.

Almost every Tory supporter here (past or present) backs net zero, thinking it needs to be achieved by replacing dirty technologies with clean ones to allow clean growth.

Many [not all] left-wingers here want to see lower consumption/redistribution instead of tackling climate emissions via clean technologies.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Dick Cheney was the effective head of the W administration, with Bush the Lesser as the figurehead.

As for the "Cabinet could be more than figureheads" argument, well the better ones usually are (for example, many in FDR's cabinets).

However, NO president has or (fearless forecast) is ever gonna go for a UK-style cabinet.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Carnyx said:

That piece doesn't refer to poor nutrition under HO care, it refers to inadequate screening, strongly implying (as seems somewhat more likely) that the sufferers picked up their conditions before they got to the UK. Catering for asylum seekers in the UK is by companies who are obliged by their contracts to provide fresh fruit at any time of the day.

What I find interesting is the aggression (and frankly sheer length) of this anti-Suella briefing from a 'senior Tory':

“This utter farce follows endless warnings to Home Office ministers about the prospect of health outbreaks, inadequate health screening and wider public health concerns following cases of TB and scurvy in recent weeks in these highly contentious migrant accommodation sites.

“Having created a serious and now deadly migrant housing crisis, it is obvious to all that the Home Secretary has lost all control and authority on the issue of illegal migration.

“She is responsible for this crisis and should be held to account for her irresponsible actions that have brought disease to these sites and now threaten the public health of the local community.

“She should be sacked.”

It reads more like a press release than someone sounding off in frustration to a journalist. Absolutely toxic.
    The piece isn't clear either way re scurvy. But it's odd as it shouldn't even exist after a while of decent food, even if it is a prior syndrome.

Edit: I've seen specific reports of some contractors - hotels, anyway - which don't provide even remorely balanced diets.

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,765
    Foxy said:

Stocky said:

2/2 Continuation:

Etc Etc

For two children.

See below:

Comments?

2/2

I am sure that it depends on the level of care (@dixiedean has some expertise in this) but care for these children can be very pricy.

Near me was such a home for a half dozen kids for a while. It was a nightmare for the neighbours, with vandalism, thefts, drugs, and the police round a couple of times per week until it got closed down after an inspection. The staff made no real attempt to control the kids, it was just a private company profiteering. No doubt these kids are being a nightmare somewhere else now.
    Well, this was of course the initial concern of the parishioners. It was interesting to see at the meeting the concern switch, and become more general, when costs were considered (all taxpayer-funded). There was utter astonishment at the level of costs councils are paying. I'm very concerned and quite upset about it and it may produce one of my rare letters to my MP.

One parishioner questioned the morality of housing two children for potentially 10 years in a £1.5m property (which up here is pretty much a mansion) only for them to be passed on (which is what happens) at age 17 to some form of adult care in much less fancy surroundings. Another questioned what financial input was sought from the delinquent parents, e.g. can we put a charge on their house/assets? This produced a vacant look from the representative. That will be none then.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

With all due respect, I don't think anyone who advocates batons for those going to vote (like in Catalonia), or sending tanks into Scotland if they vote the wrong way, is suitable to a Member of Parliament.

I can respect those I disagree with, but not those who endorse violence in politics. That's not suitable for a constituency MP in any Party.
  • Options

The act of voting Tory (esp these Tories) is highly reprehensible (I shy from 'evil') but those who do it are not all bad people. That would be an intolerant, absurdly reductive and narrow minded view of life, which being on my wing of the Left is not in my DNA.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,550
    edited August 2023

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Interesting question. Pope Pius IX (a pretty young pope) was also younger than Zachary Taylor, and Pope Pius VII was younger than John Adams. Those are the only other ones I can spot, although it's quite close in some cases.

In the UK, Churchill was older than Pope Pius XII, who was Pope throughout Churchill's two periods in office.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,485
    edited August 2023
    Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Those three have collectively a 15% chance of being next President. In reality, the number should be 1%. Maybe.

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Harris (yes, she's shit, but there's a very clear path to the Presidency): I think she's a massive buy here
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

• Options
    kinabalu said:

The act of voting Tory (esp these Tories) is highly reprehensible (I shy from 'evil') but those who do it are not all bad people. That would be an intolerant, absurdly reductive and narrow minded view of life, which being on my wing of the Left is not in my DNA.
    kinabalu said:

It's tricky getting your tongue in both cheeks at the same time isn't it.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,303

HYUFD said:

I am sure people thought that about Jeremy Corbyn.
    I gather that Jeremy Corbyn is considered an excellent constituency MP,
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,126
    rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Those three have collectively a 13% chance of being next President. In reality, the number should be 1%. Maybe.

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Harris (yes, she's shit, but there's a very clear path to the Presidency): I think she's a massive buy here
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

How does Manchin possibly win?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Does chartered accountancy improve or accelerate the aging process do you think?
    It aged me a bunch - not the work itself but the whole circus around it.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Looks like people playing games with photos to me - soft focus on the older one, carefully selected recent one, where expression is stretching the skin.

It's a simple trick to get a photo of just about anyone that makes them look mad, sick etc - modern digital camera, shoot non-stop until you get the momentary expression you want.
    Likewise, you can make someone truly insane look perfectly normal.

Just ask @SandyRentool
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Those three have collectively a 13% chance of being next President. In reality, the number should be 1%. Maybe.

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

Well, he has a better chance of winning the Democratic nomination than RFK, and he's 250-1.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Those three have collectively a 15% chance of being next President. In reality, the number should be 1%. Maybe.

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

Have you taken into account inflation/TVM into your calculations?

At current inflation rates laying someone at 2% is a real money-loser even if you're right.

Sadly for me at current inflation rates, I don't see much value in any of them. Except Harris (for value, not an expectation she'll get it).
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,583

Eabhal said:

Obama was pretty awful when his autocue froze too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHUsRTYFAU is one of several classics of that genre. If a Republican President had done that the sky would have fallen in on him.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,686

rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

Apparently he's planning to snub Biden's IRA celebration.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/11/manchin-democrat-party-biden-ira-event
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Something of a setback for unmanned aerial taxis, as if anyone genuinely thought they could ever be certified in a Western country.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/08/11/stephen-fitzpatrick-ovo-energy-flying-taxi-crash-cotswolds/

Vertical Aerospace, founded by Stephen Fitzpatrick, was dealt a blow on Wednesday when a test flight failed in dramatic fashion.

The Bristol-based startup, which is producing a five-seater flying taxi that can reach speeds of up to 200mph, said in a short statement that its prototype had crashed during a test of the “aircraft’s manoeuvrability”.

Announcing Wednesday’s crash to investors, Vertical Aerospace said: “The aircraft was remotely piloted and there were no injuries.

“Our flight test programme is designed to establish the limits of the aircraft’s performance, and the incident occurred during an uncrewed test of the aircraft’s manoeuvrability during a motor failure test scenario, which is a key requirement to progress to crewed operations. We are working closely with the relevant authorities.”

Presumably that’s going to be a full AAIB field investigation, in which case they’re going to be grounded for months at best, and probably out of money. The report will be worth reading though!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Biden 1.36
    Newsom 13
    M Obama 23
    Kennedy 25
    Harris 27

So if I don't blow my own horn nobody will - pls see here my blog where I back and tip her (with cogent reasons) at 100 saying she should be no bigger than 33:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/3724721#Comment_3724721
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's tricky getting your tongue in both cheeks at the same time isn't it.
    Well I'm having to deal with Nigel Foremain.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,275

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Legionella on the Barge. Lee?

The full cruise ship experience.
    I see Cruella's gameplan here. Floating petri dishes could well reduce the numbers of asylum seekers significantly.
    Your inference ... not sure they are that organised. But there is also tuberculosis, presumably, given the news yesterday. Or is that too slow? Probably not if one gets a really virulent strain combined with poor food.
    Interesting to follow the fantasises of those who really dislike the current government.

They really should just sink the boats like the Greeks, or pay the Libyan Coastguard to enslave the migrant. Like proper Europeans.
    Maybe unfair to blame the government for legionella in asylum seekers' accommodation, or for using barges as temporary accommodation. But as they go for cruel performative nonsense on migration they shouldn't expect their mostly justified critics to suddenly discover nuance, when they certainly don't have any.
    Why? Didn't they think to flush the system?

That's actually basic. Buy to let landlords have to do it, dammit.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-66476538

"The BBC understands that routine testing was done before migrants moved on to the vessel, moored in Dorset.

But test results showing traces of the bacteria came back only after migrants had moved to the barge."
    Didn't it occur to them to, y'know, wait for the fucking results?

Have they put Acland-Hood in charge or something?
    Remember The Grid.

This week is Migrants Week, so waiting was out of the question.

PS. If Lee Anderson and Suella Braverman became an item, legionella would be a decent portmanteau name for them.
    Come to think of it, Legionella Braverman wouldn't be a bad name for the woman herself.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

I agree on most of these (Ramaswamy does have a chance if Trump is unexpectedly unavailable, but 16-1 is too tight).

Christie and Manchin are the ones I'd quibble on. Manchin won't run and I don't see the realistic route in the unlikely event of him doing so. Christie has a minus 30 net approval rating with Republicans, and is only standing for sh1ts and giggles.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

Apparently he's planning to snub Biden's IRA celebration.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/11/manchin-democrat-party-biden-ira-event
    Manchin can win the Democratic nomination. It would not be easy, and it requires the stars to align. But unlike Robert "Free Money" Kennedy, he has an actual path to the nomination, and is considering running.

There are a lot of conservative (with a small "c") Democrats out there. There are a lot of Independents who don't like Biden.

Manchin stands against Biden, and comes in a decent second in South Carolina (with RFK nowhere). New Hampshire is next, and Manchin gets a lot of crossover / independent support, winning the State.

Unlikely? Yep.

Possible? Yep.

Also, unlike RFK - who Biden can simply ignore - Manchin is a sitting Democratic Senator. Can he avoid the debate stage against him?

Now: is he a 20-1 shot? Nowhere near. But the odds are 250-1. That's worth two of your earth pounds, even if only to trade out, if and when he announces.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Biden 1.36
    Newsom 13
    M Obama 23
    Kennedy 25
    Harris 27

So if I don't blow my own horn nobody will - pls see here my blog where I back and tip her (with cogent reasons) at 100 saying she should be no bigger than 33:

Good tip at the time, well done. 23 now is a massive lay.

Harris is the value of the five mentioned, she’s the incumbent if Biden is hit by a bus tomorrow. MObama and Kennedy have no chance.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

At current inflation rates laying someone at 2% is a real money-loser even if you're right.

Sadly for me at current inflation rates, I don't see much value in any of them. Except Harris (for value, not an expectation she'll get it).
    If the alternative is losing money in my bank account...
  • Options
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 48% (+1)
    CON: 24% (-1)
    LDEM: 10% (-1)
    REF: 6% (-1)
    GRN: 6% (+1)

via @Omnisis, 10 - 11 Aug

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1690028926137929728?t=7eZVCMPYYhLV9CSESb1tJA&s=19

So "stop the boats week" has gone well...

Any other leader would be 20 points ahead. BJO fans please explain.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

Don't forget we're only about five months from the first primaries. Lots of people will go to 500-1 after SC, Iowa and New Hampshire.
  • Options
    What about celebritiy candidates? There's Oprah, Kris Jenner, the Rock or Meghan Markle.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Interesting question. Pope Pius IX (a pretty young pope) was also younger than Zachary Taylor, and Pope Pius VII was younger than John Adams. Those are the only other ones I can spot, although it's quite close in some cases.

In the UK, Churchill was older than Pope Pius XII, who was Pope throughout Churchill's two periods in office.
    Bad form to comment on my own post but too late to edit... perhaps slightly surprisingly, the ill-starred Pope John Paul I was a few months younger than Jim Callaghan (and his successor, John Paul II, was a lot younger).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

You can get FSCS-backed 6% return on savings that mature in 12 months (sooner than the election pays out).

So why lay RFK Jr at 19 on Betfair, before commission?

Yes, RFK should be a lay, but its not really a good investment in my eyes to do it?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

Don't forget we're only about five months from the first primaries. Lots of people will go to 500-1 after SC, Iowa and New Hampshire.
    The first TV debate is only two weeks away, so the field should start to get whittled down before any votes are cast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Republican_Party_presidential_debates_and_forums
  • Options

What about celebritiy candidates? There's Oprah, Kris Jenner, the Rock or Meghan Markle.

I'm happy to offer you 50-1 on any of those.
  • Options

I’ll give you 100/1 on any of the above, minimum bet $100 paid to me up front. I’ll show you that I’m good for the $10k ;)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I’ll give you 100/1 on any of the above, minimum bet $100 paid to me up front. I’ll show you that I’m good for the $10k ;)
    Hmm. Look what happened with the last one. A certain Mr Trump.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Biden 1.36
    Newsom 13
    M Obama 23
    Kennedy 25
    Harris 27

Harris is the value of the five mentioned, she’s the incumbent if Biden is hit by a bus tomorrow. MObama and Kennedy have no chance.
    Thanks. I have laid her back now for the stake plus a bit. So it's good good.

Agree on Harris. She's value at 50 simply because there's a route. RFK is a great sell at 19 but was an even greater one at the previous almost unbelievable 12.

But the best sell of all imo is Donald Trump at 3.5. I've added to my Big Short at that.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

You can get FSCS-backed 6% return on savings that mature in 12 months (sooner than the election pays out).

Yes, RFK should be a lay, but its not really a good investment in my eyes to do it?
    You may well be right although Biden will probably have the necessary delegates by Super Tuesday (5th March) or thereabouts and, whilst it won't settle on that day, you can essentially trade out.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

You may well be right although Biden will probably have the necessary delegates by Super Tuesday (5th March) or thereabouts and, whilst it won't settle on that day, you can essentially trade out.
    At that point, of course, only Harris on the Dem side should be less than 500-1
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Biden 1.36
    Newsom 13
    M Obama 23
    Kennedy 25
    Harris 27

Agree on Harris. She's value at 50 simply because there's a route. RFK is a great sell at 19 but was an even greater one at the previous almost unbelievable 12.

But the best sell of all imo is Donald Trump at 3.5. I've added to my Big Short at that.
    If I was backing Harris, I'd take the 23 on her as being the Dem candidate over 48 to win the election.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

It probably will happen that way, but again amuses me. At that point who is it who is the counterparty locking their cash up to get a 0.2% return in 7 months time - and why?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

It is so long as you have lays on others already. Eg I laid RFK at 12 right up to my Trump exposure.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Biden 1.36
    Newsom 13
    M Obama 23
    Kennedy 25
    Harris 27

If I was backing Harris, I'd take the 23 on her as being the Dem candidate over 48 to win the election.
    Yes that looks slightly better.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Biden 1.36
    Newsom 13
    M Obama 23
    Kennedy 25
    Harris 27

It's not 100% clear but I think next Presidential election winner is based on projected electoral college votes. Whereas Democratic candidate pays out after the nominating convention.

So, if Biden died between the nominating convention and the electoral college voting (a non-negligible risk given his age) and Democrats won the election, a bet on Harris as Presidential election winner would pay out, but as Democratic candidate would not.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Biden 1.36
    Newsom 13
    M Obama 23
    Kennedy 25
    Harris 27

It's not 100% clear but I think next Presidential election winner is based on projected electoral college votes. Whereas Democratic candidate pays out after the nominating convention.

So, if Biden died between the nominating convention and the electoral college voting (a non-negligible risk given his age) and Democrats won the election, a bet on Harris as Presidential election winner would pay out, but as Democratic candidate would not.
    Ooh that’s a good point. Yes the party candidate markets will settle at the conventions in the summer, whereas the next president market will settle on Jan 20th. Both Trump and Biden could potentially become a cropper in between times.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

It probably will happen that way, but again amuses me. At that point who is it who is the counterparty locking their cash up to get a 0.2% return in 7 months time - and why?
    He said less than 500-1. It'd be quite a bit less in practice, as the actuarial risk of death for Biden between wrapping up the nomination and the electoral college voting is not negligible (nine months or so for a chap in his 80s).

That price would then gradually drift out as the time Biden needed to survive to the election reduced, so the person laying Harris could cash out as her price drifted out (unless Biden in fact died, which would make it squeaky bum time).
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

You do realise you can only lose once?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,834
    edited August 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Eabhal said:

Obama was pretty awful when his autocue froze too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHUsRTYFAU is one of several classics of that genre. If a Republican President had done that the sky would have fallen in on him.
    That happened to George W Bush too.

When you're on the campaign trail 24 hours a day, giving speech after speech, you are likely (a) propped up with stimulents, and (b) just reading the autocue. I doubt he was even thinking as he read it. And when he stopped he was "ah fuck, what did I just say"

I've done identical presentations to hundreds of investors. By the thirtieth time, you are completely on autopilot, saying the words, but thinking about a book you read, or how nice a glass of wine would be, or did I leave the backdoor open.
    Ditto. There is a sweet spot between uncertainty and nervousness, and arrogance and boredom. Those presentations where you have it cracked but are still on your toes are the best ones.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sell:

RFK (massive sell)
    Vivek Ramaswamy
    Michelle Obama

Buy:
    Biden
    Trump
    Christie
    Manchin (maybe)

He said less than 500-1. It'd be quite a bit less in practice, as the actuarial risk of death for Biden between wrapping up the nomination and the electoral college voting is not negligible.

That price would then gradually drift out as the time Biden needed to survive to the election reduced, so the person laying Harris could cash out as her price drifted out (unless Biden in fact died, which would make it squeaky bum time).
    Not just death either, there’s scope for medical incapacity, scandal, or voluntary retirement, all of which are outside shots but not zero.

If Trump is definitely ruled out, and the contest is against a Christie or a Ramaswarmy, I think Biden might choose to retire and let his party chose a new candidate.
  • Options

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Biden 1.36
    Newsom 13
    M Obama 23
    Kennedy 25
    Harris 27

VG point! So in ranking the 48 WH vs the 23 NOM you'd have to balance this against whatever view you have of KH's chances in the general if she were the NOM. The view I keep hearing is she'd lose - steering to NOM as the better bet - but I'm not sure what that's based on exactly.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Biden 1.36
    Newsom 13
    M Obama 23
    Kennedy 25
    Harris 27

Ooh that’s a good point. Yes the party candidate markets will settle at the conventions in the summer, whereas the next president market will settle on Jan 20th. Both Trump and Biden could potentially become a cropper in between times.
    Yes, there could also be value in backing Trump's VP candidate. Scott then looks better value - he's 60-1 for the Presidency, but about 7-1 for VP berth which, if he gets, keeps him in contention. The VP stakes is a bit of a mug's game though, and I'm not that tempted.
  • Options
    kjh said:

My local (where I am now) has offered me a tab. Should I be worried that I drinking too much.

The pub went into adminstration and closed for sometime. A few months ago I was cycling passed when I saw activity and found they were preparing to reopen. I stopped and got invited to the dummy runs prior to the official reopening. Not only did I get some free beer but it now seems I am trusted with a running tab.

Life is rewarding sometimes.

That's very nice! But please don't go down the 'own pewter tankard behind the bar' route. You don't want to be one of 'those'.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Biden 1.36
    Newsom 13
    M Obama 23
    Kennedy 25
    Harris 27

VG point! So in ranking the 48 WH vs the 23 NOM you'd have to balance this against whatever view you have of KH's chances in the general if she were the NOM. The view I keep hearing is she'd lose - steering to NOM as the better bet - but I'm not sure what that's based on exactly.
    She's not got good approval ratings, for sure. But, if Biden died in the campaign, I actually think she'd get quite a big bump from that in polling terms. It'd be unprecedented, but you can envisage a rallying round the (new) President in that scenario more than you can the opposite.
  • Options
    The first Republican primary debate from 2015 makes for interesting viewing now:

https://vimeo.com/389022052
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

“She should be sacked.”

The piece isn't clear either way re scurvy. But it's odd as it shouldn't even exist after a while of decent food, even if it is a prior syndrome.

Edit: I've seen specific reports of some contractors - hotels, anyway - which don't provide even remorely balanced diets.

I think you're jumping to Dickensian treatment as a reason because that's what you want to find. I am sure there have been examples of less than 5-star service in some of the accommodation, it is a state-provided service after all, look at NHS food. That doesn't mean jumping to a conclusion that 'Cruella is giving people scurvy' isn't ludicrous, and frankly deplorable, character assassination.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    George Monbiot: “Britain’s surging deer population is causing an ecological disaster. I have a solution: wolves”

https://twitter.com/guardianopinion/status/1689957723058929665
  • Options

George Monbiot: “Britain’s surging deer population is causing an ecological disaster. I have a solution: wolves”

Surely wolves aren't vegan?
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Monbiot proving once again, that he’s not properly thought through his simplistic solutions to complex problems.

Does he really want to replace a deer problem with a wolf problem? Deer don’t generally end up in back gardens, having fights with dogs and children.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Something of a setback for unmanned aerial taxis, as if anyone genuinely thought they could ever be certified in a Western country.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/08/11/stephen-fitzpatrick-ovo-energy-flying-taxi-crash-cotswolds/

Vertical Aerospace, founded by Stephen Fitzpatrick, was dealt a blow on Wednesday when a test flight failed in dramatic fashion.

The Bristol-based startup, which is producing a five-seater flying taxi that can reach speeds of up to 200mph, said in a short statement that its prototype had crashed during a test of the “aircraft’s manoeuvrability”.

Announcing Wednesday’s crash to investors, Vertical Aerospace said: “The aircraft was remotely piloted and there were no injuries.

“Our flight test programme is designed to establish the limits of the aircraft’s performance, and the incident occurred during an uncrewed test of the aircraft’s manoeuvrability during a motor failure test scenario, which is a key requirement to progress to crewed operations. We are working closely with the relevant authorities.”

Presumably that’s going to be a full AAIB field investigation, in which case they’re going to be grounded for months at best, and probably out of money. The report will be worth reading though!

Well, at least their testing program has a better moral basis than that of Virgin Galactic.

VG can't fly their vehicles remotely.

In this case they are designed to be. So the only thing lost was a bit of money.

Not entirely sure the damage will buff out, though.

https://www.flightglobal.com/aerospace/vertical-faces-setback-after-vx4-prototype-crashes-during-flight-testing/154475.article
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,053
    Brexit, barge, Rwanda. How much more of our money is this incompetent shower of a government going to waste? Ffs, just go now!
This discussion has been closed.