Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’ll be hard for Sunak to hang on unless this changes – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

I love meat.
    The meatier the better.
    I like offal a lot. When in France, I love the tripe sausage and the waiters are always surprised since I am obviously not an elderly red-faced Frenchman (ie the usual market for tripe sausage).

(I also love venison, for the record).

But vegans can do their thing, who cares?

Omg the tripe sausage . I accidentally ordered that in a salad once . the taste and smell are one of the worst things I’ve ever had the misfortune to come across . I laughed when I read online others observations with one calling it hell on a plate .

You must have a very hardy constitution!

I’ll edit this it was indeed the worst thing I’ve ever eaten . To put it into one of the worst doesn’t do it justice !

Andouillette

Absolutely delicious with proper French fries and a cold cold beer

You, sir, are a Heathen
    Perhaps it’s a gene thing , you know like some people can’t eat fresh coriander because it tastes like perfume . All I know is that the after taste lasted 2 days .

I’d rather eat a tin of dog food than ever lay eyes on the hell on a plate again .
    It is revolting. The only relevant genetics is French vs not-French. and foold you by looking externally like a normal sausage.

the French apparently have clubs devoted to eating it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,787
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

I love meat.
    The meatier the better.
    I like offal a lot. When in France, I love the tripe sausage and the waiters are always surprised since I am obviously not an elderly red-faced Frenchman (ie the usual market for tripe sausage).

Omg the tripe sausage . I accidentally ordered that in a salad once . the taste and smell are one of the worst things I’ve ever had the misfortune to come across . I laughed when I read online others observations with one calling it hell on a plate .

I’ll edit this it was indeed the worst thing I’ve ever eaten . To put it into one of the worst doesn’t do it justice !
    Not knowing what you are eating helps. A Romanian wedding I once went to had about eight courses at the meal. One had a series of small cooked meat pieces with dip sauces. They were rather nice. I also later found out they were brains and offal. I'm unsure I'd have liked them so much if I had known.

Taste can be weird like that.
    Not with the French sausage.
    ..True andouillettes are rarely seen outside France and have a strong, distinctive odour coming from the colon...

I had no idea what I was ordering at the time (pre internet) and thought it looked interesting on the French only menu.

Rather nice it was not; definitely an example of 'true' andouillette.
    Andouillette should have a faint odour of uric acid. You get over it. They are delicious

The foulest smelling food I have ever encountered is tinned fermented silkworm larvae. A tasty snack in South Korea

The smell was enough to make me gag as soon as I opened the tin. Indescribably awful. Satan’s arse after a fish curry

I wrapped it all in three plastic bags and took it outside my hotel to a public bin. That bad
    See the quote from the article:
    "When you've tasted a few, it's quite clear," says Delpal. "Either it's very, very good, or it's disgusting. There's no middle ground."

I've a pretty good tolerance for nasty food (legacy of boarding school).
    This was definitely at the disgusting end of the scale.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 2,014
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

I love meat.
    The meatier the better.

Not knowing what you are eating helps. A Romanian wedding I once went to had about eight courses at the meal. One had a series of small cooked meat pieces with dip sauces. They were rather nice. I also later found out they were brains and offal. I'm unsure I'd have liked them so much if I had known.

..True andouillettes are rarely seen outside France and have a strong, distinctive odour coming from the colon...

I had no idea what I was ordering at the time (pre internet) and thought it looked interesting on the French only menu.

Andouillette should have a faint odour of uric acid. You get over it. They are delicious

The foulest smelling food I have ever encountered is tinned fermented silkworm larvae. A tasty snack in South Korea

The smell was enough to make me gag as soon as I opened the tin. Indescribably awful. Satan’s arse after a fish curry

I wrapped it all in three plastic bags and took it outside my hotel to a public bin. That bad
    Better or worse than Surströmming? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surströmming
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,531
    edited August 2023
    'BRIGHTON PAVILION: Eddie Izzard, who tried last year to become Labour candidate for Sheffield Central, will now try for Brighton Pavilion, according to the Brighton Argus:'
    https://twitter.com/tomorrowsmps/status/1687337190747942912?s=20

With Lucas stepping down and Labour well ahead in the polls and having taken control of Brighton council from the Greens, Brighton Pavilion should now be a safe seat for Eddie/Suzy if selected
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

RAINS LIKE HIS, THE HONOUR OF EVENTS TO YOU WITH COTTAGE CHEESE

That can be your next PB name. Goes with correct horse battery.
    RainsCottageCheese is apt.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,036
    Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

I love meat.
    The meatier the better.

It’s one of my all-time faves.
    You can’t get it in London except for that deep underground Bistro next to Picadilly, at least that was true a few years ago.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,375
    TimS said:

Some smelling salts may be in need of passing around here:

NEW

UK pure EV sales up a massive 88% in July 2023

Pure EVs were 16% of all new sales in July

(in July 2022 it was just 11%)

https://twitter.com/drsimevans/status/1687395053679874048?s=46

I thought the economy was supposed to be at armaeggedon stage by now, yet overall new car sales are up 28% year on year
  • Options
    Very strong set of results for the Lib Dems in council by-elections yesterday. Gains from the Conservatives in Norfolk and East Sussex, and from Labour in Dudley.

East Sussex potentially notable in constituency betting terms, as the division is in the Eastbourne constituency and bodes well for them there.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,531
    edited August 2023
    Miklosvar said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

That's what the bus driver said. Was he carrying the Financial Times under his left arm?
    FT has a Romanian story today.
    ‘He drank all my whisky’: Romania wrestles with trespassing bears
    https://twitter.com/valentinapop/status/1687401802931560448
    Can confirm. Rural Transylvania is a lethally dangerous place, primarily because bears and wolves and secondarily because huge numbers of seriously big fierce sheepdogs to defend sheep from them, and from passing tourists.
    The King has a place in rural Transylvania of course

https://zalan.transylvaniancastle.com/
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,975
    Phil said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

I love meat.
    The meatier the better.

I imagine that is quite similar to hakarl - fermented shark meat. Which I ate in Iceland last autumn. Washed down with Brennivin - “Black Death” = schnapps

It was fairly unpleasant but it didn’t make me want to vomit. Nowhere near as bad as the silkworm larvae

The only thing as bad as the silkworm larvae was dried frog in Cambodia
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,816
    edited August 2023

TimS said:

NEW

I thought the economy was supposed to be at armaeggedon stage by now, yet overall new car sales are up 28% year on year
    7/10 of the top selling cars are SUVs.

Expect a big spike in pavement parking and pedestrian casualties over the next few years.

Edit: and potholes
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,807
    Phil said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

I love meat.
    The meatier the better.

There are some quite amusing videos around, if you are feeling suitably childish, of people opening up Surströming and vomming, then trying to eat it and hold it down and even better when their dogs run and whimper because the smell is so bad. If a dog is revolted, and they eat their own vomit, it’s quite a good indicator of vileness.
  • Options
    As promised!

A remote border post in the foothills of the carpathians. Superb

So far

But I suspect we are going to be stuck here for Quite a while
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,962
    edited August 2023

TimS said:

NEW

New cars are like hens teeth. Sale volumes are totally dependent upon supply volume. If in any comparable month there are twice or half as many cars available the sales will be up 100% or down by 50%. Consequently currently I think any comparisons of total car sales are meaningless.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,856

Nigelb said:

Meissner effect or bust: Day 8.5

We made the rocks

https://twitter.com/andrewmccalip/status/1687405505604734978

Interesting! Looks like there is _something_ going on.

All the samples seem to tilt as if they either aren't 100% pure, or there's some directionality to the effect.
    There are so many great things about this. I am nowhere near being an expert on this - few people are - but this is my current take. It's all positive.

*) If it is a hoax or a big mistake in the research (*), then it has shown how many independent groups can work on something very quickly (as we saw during the pandemic).

*) If there is a real effect that is *not* superconductivity, then we may have found something new and interesting.

*) If it is superconductivity, but not room temperature superconductivity, then we have found the highest-temperature superconductor, *and* a new class of superconducting materials. Each time one of those is found, we find others in the same class that perform better.

*) If it is a room-temperature superconductor, then much depends on its exact physical and electrical characteristics. But many things will change.

As I say, all positive.

(*) Unlikely now, given what other teams have been done.
  • Options
    "Reuters: Russia doubles defense spending plan for 2023.

Russia has doubled its defense spending plan for 2023 to more than $100 billion, which makes up one-third of all public expenditures, Reuters reported on Aug. 4."

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1687392621486874624
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,014

Russia has doubled its defense spending plan for 2023 to more than $100 billion, which makes up one-third of all public expenditures, Reuters reported on Aug. 4."

All western focus should be on keeping the Russian oil price as low as possible. Lower the cap, and more actively police sanctions busting.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,116
    Taz said:

A local blogger opines:

When the Green Party selected Sian Berry to be its candidate to defend the Brighton Pavilion seat at the next general election, I wrote that “Sian has no know links to the city while being heavily committed to London. She will be seen as a carpetbagger and an opportunist who is being parachuted in from afar.” A bit harsh, perhaps, but a positive factor for Labour.

I also warned that Labour “has been slow off the mark in selecting its candidate, surprising really as Brighton Pavilion is one of its key targets…” I said that the party “needs to select a sensible, local candidate. Choose badly and it might let the Greens back in.”

So today’s news today that Eddie Izzard wants to be Labour’s candidate must be music to the ears of Sian Berry and the Greens. Like Berry, Izzard has no know links to the city while being heavily committed elsewhere, will be seen as a carpetbagger and an opportunist who is parachuting in from afar.” Choosing Izzard would neutralise an advantage that Labour might otherwise have.

https://andywinterbn1.wordpress.com/2023/08/04/why-choosing-eddie-izzard-as-its-candidate-in-brighton-pavilion-would-be-a-disaster-for-the-labour-party/

Labour have just turfed the Greens out of Brighton Council - are they going to blow their chance at Brighton Pavilion?

They'd be fools if they did.

Has Izzard made the shortlist or just put himself forward ?
    He’s just put himself forward - but was promenading around Brighton yesterday and dominates the front page of the Argus.

It’s fair to say the comments on the article are far from sympathetic:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23699795.eddie-izzard-run-labour-mp-candidate-brighton/#comments-anchor

The constituency includes some of the most deprived housing estates in Brighton and people are sceptical Izzard will put in the hard yards as a constituency MP.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

All the samples seem to tilt as if they either aren't 100% pure, or there's some directionality to the effect.
    There are so many great things about this. I am nowhere near being an expert on this - few people are - but this is my current take. It's all positive.

*) If it is a hoax or a big mistake in the research (*), then it has shown how many independent groups can work on something very quickly (as we saw during the pandemic).

*) If there is a real effect that is *not* superconductivity, then we may have found something new and interesting.

*) If it is superconductivity, but not room temperature superconductivity, then we have found the highest-temperature superconductor, *and* a new class of superconducting materials. Each time one of those is found, we find others in the same class that perform better.

*) If it is a room-temperature superconductor, then much depends on its exact physical and electrical characteristics. But many things will change.

As I say, all positive.

I really haven’t been following this story. I keep trying to start but then I get distracted by war and aliens and the like

Can you summarise why this is exciting and why, if the most optimal outlook comes true, it will change the world?

I see lots of amped up science bods on TwitterX
  • Options
    Taz said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

That's what the bus driver said. Was he carrying the Financial Times under his left arm?
    FT has a Romanian story today.
    ‘He drank all my whisky’: Romania wrestles with trespassing bears
    https://twitter.com/valentinapop/status/1687401802931560448
    What a brilliant tagline
    Let's hope they don't get the scent of Leon's hip flask.
  • Options
    TimS said:

All western focus should be on keeping the Russian oil price as low as possible. Lower the cap, and more actively police sanctions busting.
    And even then, remember that Russia's economy is not the bear that the Soviets pretended theirs to be after the 1960s. Russia's GDP is #11 in the world before this mess started, and not even 2% of worldwide GDP. It's economy is smaller than Italy, France's or Brazil's. And that is if you fully believe their figures.

They can probably take more of that GDP into public hands than those other countries can, and they probably get a little more efficient spending as per PPP (though that might be offset by corruption). But their economy is not 'mighty', and has not been since the 1990s (again, if you believe their figures).

It's too easy to believe the Russian Stronk myth, both in military and economic terms. It's a myth.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,281

Taz said:

A local blogger opines:

When the Green Party selected Sian Berry to be its candidate to defend the Brighton Pavilion seat at the next general election, I wrote that “Sian has no know links to the city while being heavily committed to London. She will be seen as a carpetbagger and an opportunist who is being parachuted in from afar.” A bit harsh, perhaps, but a positive factor for Labour.

I also warned that Labour “has been slow off the mark in selecting its candidate, surprising really as Brighton Pavilion is one of its key targets…” I said that the party “needs to select a sensible, local candidate. Choose badly and it might let the Greens back in.”

So today’s news today that Eddie Izzard wants to be Labour’s candidate must be music to the ears of Sian Berry and the Greens. Like Berry, Izzard has no know links to the city while being heavily committed elsewhere, will be seen as a carpetbagger and an opportunist who is parachuting in from afar.” Choosing Izzard would neutralise an advantage that Labour might otherwise have.

https://andywinterbn1.wordpress.com/2023/08/04/why-choosing-eddie-izzard-as-its-candidate-in-brighton-pavilion-would-be-a-disaster-for-the-labour-party/

Labour have just turfed the Greens out of Brighton Council - are they going to blow their chance at Brighton Pavilion?

He’s just put himself forward - but was promenading around Brighton yesterday and dominates the front page of the Argus.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23699795.eddie-izzard-run-labour-mp-candidate-brighton/#comments-anchor

The constituency includes some of the most deprived housing estates in Brighton and people are sceptical Izzard will put in the hard yards as a constituency MP.
    "promenading" a bit unkind there.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,014
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

I really haven’t been following this story. I keep trying to start but then I get distracted by war and aliens and the like

Can you summarise why this is exciting and why, if the most optimal outlook comes true, it will change the world?

From what I’ve seen the 3 big things are

- power transmission (more efficient, less loss)
    - Power storage (massively more scope)
    - computer processing power (accelerating the AI apocalypse)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,823
    edited August 2023

TimS said:

NEW

I've no idea but if people feel like crap the stats won't matter, on a political level at least.

Doommongering didn't feel true last time. It will now.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

So it could solve all the problems with batteries? That’s super cool

I’ve already accepted we’re heading for an AI Armageddon
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,488
    HYUFD said:

'BRIGHTON PAVILION: Eddie Izzard, who tried last year to become Labour candidate for Sheffield Central, will now try for Brighton Pavilion, according to the Brighton Argus:'

With Lucas stepping down and Labour well ahead in the polls and having taken control of Brighton council from the Greens, Brighton Pavilion should now be a safe seat for Eddie/Suzy if selected

He might actually have a chance of taking that one. Right sort of demographics.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

IANAE. But basically, when you send an electrical current through most conductors, you get resistance. This leads to heat and, for most purposes, wasted energy. But over 100 years ago, it was discovered that some materials do not offer any electrical resistance. But only if they are really, really cold. Like colder than anywhere on Earth.

The superconductors discovered so far also have other interesting features, such as magnetic flux disappearing (allowing them to levitate above a magnet, which is what we see in these videos, although what we see is peculiar).

So room-temperature superconductors *may* allow transmission of power over vast distances with zero energy loss - imagine massive solar farms in Africa supplying Europe with power much more cheaply. It will allow much more powerful magnets, cheaper (MRI machines require liquid helium, a scarce resource). It could also enhance quantum computing.

Much will depend on the exact properties of this material and its family of materials. But whilst I am not currently utterly hyped, I'm fairly sure (as a non-expert) that there is something interesting going on here.

And yes, at best it will change the world. And it's more likely to happen soon than AGI or aliens.

All AIUI, IANAE etc.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

Every electrical and electronic system on the planet would potentially be obsolete, and their replacements massively more efficient.

Would bankrupt a significant portion of the oil and gas industry.

Potentially.

All that is a little way off, though, whatever the outcome of the experiment.
  • Options
    Would settle the great heat pump debate, too.
  • Options

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

IANAE. But basically, when you send an electrical current through most conductors, you get resistance. This leads to heat and, for most purposes, wasted energy. But over 100 years ago, it was discovered that some materials do not offer any electrical resistance. But only if they are really, really cold. Like colder than anywhere on Earth.

The superconductors discovered so far also have other interesting features, such as magnetic flux disappearing (allowing them to levitate above a magnet, which is what we see in these videos, although what we see is peculiar).

So room-temperature superconductors *may* allow transmission of power over vast distances with zero energy loss - imagine massive solar farms in Africa supplying Europe with power much more cheaply. It will allow much more powerful magnets, cheaper (MRI machines require liquid helium, a scarce resource). It could also enhance quantum computing.

Much will depend on the exact properties of this material and its family of materials. But whilst I am not currently utterly hyped, I'm fairly sure (as a non-expert) that there is something interesting going on here.

And yes, at best it will change the world. And it's more likely to happen soon than AGI or aliens.

All AIUI, IANAE etc.
    Excellently concise summary. Ta
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,856

HYUFD said:

I couldn't call it to save my life. I acknowledge the possibility that Izzard might (if selected) win - stranger things have happened - but I would be really surprised. Nominally trans, no theoretical underpinning for their political beliefs other than tolerance and being nice, unwilling to put in the hard yards, and a conspicuous carpetbagger. I'll wait until the first poll, but right now I'd say "no".

The older I get the more I think Tony Benn was right: who are you, what power do you yield, who gave it to you, and how can I get rid of you? I'd expand that to a simple question: what do you believe in?

• Options
    Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

Every electrical and electronic system on the planet would potentially be obsolete, and their replacements massively more efficient.

Potentially.

The b*tch would be getting a new class of materials that *are* room-temperature superconductors, but nearly impossible to make into any practical material at a large scale, e.g. wires.

Although this material seems to be comparatively easy to make in small labs by small teams, unlike some of the recent exotic superconductors.

And if we discover it really is a room-temperature superconductor, then we'll research *why* it works (this is already being done...) and may well be able to design/,manufacture 'better' materials.

In a way, it's not about the material. It's about the knowledge.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233

Taz said:

A local blogger opines:

Rightly so.

It seems about 1 in 3 of the comments have been removed too !!!!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,488
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

I couldn't call it to save my life. I acknowledge the possibility that Izzard might (if selected) win - stranger things have happened - but I would be really surprised. Nominally trans, no theoretical underpinning for their political beliefs other than tolerance and being nice, unwilling to put in the hard yards, and a conspicuous carpetbagger. I'll wait until the first poll, but right now I'd say "no".

The older I get the more I think Tony Benn was right: who are you, what power do you yield, who gave it to you, and how can I get rid of you? I'd expand that to a simple question: what do you believe in?

I think Eddie Izzard just wants to get involved.

Suspect his views are very Labour (north London left-liberal) mainstream.

Brighton is a great constituency for that.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,868

A local blogger opines:

Berry is a local councillor in Camden, the only Green. Is she still fulfilling her role there?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,036
    Why is Izzard “unwilling to put in the hard yards”?
    He’s been a Labour campaigner for yonks.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 2,014
    edited August 2023
    This week we have had the tantalising promise of both room temperature superconductors (LK-99) & an almost universal solid tumour cancer treatment (AOH1996).

Either being true would be world shifting news. Both would be amazing.

Science is back & it’s here to change everything, again.

(It is of course possible for neither to pan out. Crossed fingers all round!)
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,780
    Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

Potentially.

Not so sure - most electrical systems are quite efficient at the moment.

Replacing them with a low maintenance room temperature super conductor would depend on the cost of the RTSC vs heating losses.

Long distance power transmission is already a thing - this might incrementally improve business cases.

Power storage is an interesting one - though you need significant size (miles in diameter) for an SMES.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,142
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

So it could solve all the problems with batteries? That’s super cool

I’ve already accepted we’re heading for an AI Armageddon
    If the material can be engineered and it can take large magnetic field strengths then the sky is the limit.

It would revolutionise just about every industry that uses electricity.

Fusion power, super-efficient motors and generators, quantum computing, you name it.

HS2 would be a heritage railway before it was finished. Where we are going, we don't need rails...

Likely to take a long time to develop though. Even if the effect is real.
  • Options
    Here we go. Passport….. or kidnap???
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Izzard is a performance. Not sure that is what most voters are looking for - what does he believe in?
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,752
    edited August 2023

HYUFD said:

I don't think Izzard will be selected, and Labour would be foolish to do so.

Whilst the Green's collapse on the Council and Lucas' departure as MP gives them a great chance to re-take it, she did have a big majority in 2019, and won comfortably enough in 2015 despite that election falling on the same day as another poor set of local elections in Brighton for the Greens. The Greens will campaign very hard and have chosen a credible candidate in Sian Berry... but she isn't local.

This won't fall into Labour's lap. The last thing they need is to neutralise the carpetbagger card by picking a carpetbagger of their own.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,189

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Izzard is a performance. Not sure that is what most voters are looking for - what does he believe in?
    Izzard isn't Glenda Jackson - but he thinks he is....
  • Options
    Leon said:

As promised!

A remote border post in the foothills of the carpathians. Superb

So far

But I suspect we are going to be stuck here for Quite a while

Doors of those houses look about 4 ft high. Hobbit country?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

An ultra-marathoner, though.
    So the hard yards ought to be no problem.

And has been active in politics for a good couple of decades, so probably as qualified as most of the alternatives.
  • Options

I meant holding meetings with constituents who've been told by the Government to buy and install a £999 heat pump the size of a tallboy in their flat when they live on the eighth floor with a bastard landlord who wants his mate to instal it for hundreds more and hang it off the external wall RIGHT NEXT TO THE ONLY BEDROOM, even though they haven't replaced the imflammable cladding yet.

Go on. Sort that out.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,072
    edited August 2023

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

All AIUI, IANAE etc.
    Yes, though sounds petty good to me, though I'd express magnetic flux disappearing rather as magnetic flux expulsion (since the field must be zero in a superconductor). As you say, this leads to magnetic levitation.

I'd agree that the discovery is potentially world-changing if, and it's a big if, it can be replicated and the materials involved can be worked into suitable forms and produced at reasonable cost. You'd also be looking for reasonable critical current and magnetic field densities. But yes, worthy of attention.

Edit: I'm no expert in the field though.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,556
    Does anyone know what happened to andrew lilico on Twitter (X)?

His account has been non existent for a couple of weeks now.

• Options
    edited August 2023

@HYUFD said The King has a place in rural Transylvania of course

I know, I spent a couple of nights there in May. You can just see the plume of feathers on the end wall.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

Potentially.

Replacing them with a low maintenance room temperature super conductor would depend on the cost of the RTSC vs heating losses.

Long distance power transmission is already a thing - this might incrementally improve business cases.

Power storage is an interesting one - though you need significant size (miles in diameter) for an SMES.
    Imagine the railguns...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

Potentially.

Imagine the railguns...
    Malmesbury is just a high-tech Morris_Dancer.

Instead of trebuchets, it is nukes. :)
  • Options
    eek said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Izzard isn't Glenda Jackson - but he thinks he is....
    "This is not a game of who the f___ are you!"
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

Potentially.

Imagine the railguns...
    Yeah. That's the worrying part. What's the first thing humans do with new super-powers?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

Potentially.

Imagine the railguns...
    Rail erosion is the main problem with rail guns.

Imagine the coil guns....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GImJdrCSOFA&t=46s
  • Options

He just said he was giving it up and left.

I never paid close attention to him but, from what I saw, it didn't seem Twitter was particularly good for his mental health, and it was probably a wise decision.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,633
    Phil said:

This week we have had the tantalising promise of both room temperature superconductors (LK-99) & an almost universal solid tumour cancer treatment (AOH1996).

@SebastianEPayne
    🧑‍⚕️ Dominic Cummings was right: Britain needs to become a nation of nerds - especially after Brexit

We need to resolve the gulf between our two cultures and embrace the only viable route for more prosperity: science superpower

Latest column for
    @theipaper

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1687369684763455488?s=20

For the avoidance of doubt, while becoming a science superpower (again) would undoubtedly be a good thing, the notion that a principal architect of Brexit which has severely hampered UK science is "right" about the future of science in the UK is ridiculous.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I meant holding meetings with constituents who've been told by the Government to buy and install a £999 heat pump the size of a tallboy in their flat when they live on the eighth floor with a bastard landlord who wants his mate to instal it for hundreds more and hang it off the external wall RIGHT NEXT TO THE ONLY BEDROOM, even though they haven't replaced the imflammable cladding yet.

Go on. Sort that out.
    I'm not an Izzard fan and, as I say, I don't thing he'd be a good choice for Labour in Brighton in terms of chances of retaking the seat. But my impression, to be fair, is that he is willing to put a shift in and would probably be quite assiduous as an MP in practice.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

Potentially.

Imagine the railguns...
    [...Mmmm....Imagines the railguns...]

:):):):):):):):)
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

Potentially.

Imagine the railguns...

[...Mmmm....Imagines the coilguns...]

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,117
    Scott_xP said:

Phil said:

@SebastianEPayne
    🧑‍⚕️ Dominic Cummings was right: Britain needs to become a nation of nerds - especially after Brexit

We need to resolve the gulf between our two cultures and embrace the only viable route for more prosperity: science superpower

Latest column for
    @theipaper

For the avoidance of doubt, while becoming a science superpower (again) would undoubtedly be a good thing, the notion that a principal architect of Brexit which has severely hampered UK science is "right" about the future of science in the UK is ridiculous.
    Britain may or may not be able to become a science superpower. The EU definitely won't.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Scott_xP said:

Phil said:

@SebastianEPayne

Latest column for
    @theipaper

Some one desired Dominic Cummings as a man with all the right questions and none of the right answers.

His point, that the Cabinet Room is *less functional* than it was in 1914 is a good one, for example.

EDIT: The power of a good diagram - the whole of War and Peace condensed....

• Options
    PeckPeck Posts: 517

A local blogger opines:

Izzard helped Leave win the referendum by turning up to Question Time wearing lipstick and a pink beret to debate Farage. God forbid he's put into a position where he can help the Greens keep the Brighton seat after losing the council.

No more f***ing comedians as representatives or servants of the people, please!

Also it's nice to have a bit of clarity in a leader or representative, and a lack of clarity about what "gender" he is isn't a good sign.

>30% voted for Brexit in Brighton.
    Makes you wonder where 2019 Green voters may go.
    Seat was Tory up to 1997.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,418

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

He came to Broxtowe to help campaign and seemed very mainstream. Opinion was mixed on how voters responded in that relatively conservative part of the world, but that wouldn't be a problem in Brighton. Voters there seem pretty politicised, more interested in what you stand for (including your personal identity) then whether you happen to live up the road. In general I think people (especially local bloggers) exaggerate the importance of localness - most voters haven't heard of any of us until they get a zillion leaflets, and if they learn that candidate X lives nearby it can even be counter-productive, since they say "Well,, they seem pretty passive then, I've never heard of them". Actually being a popular local councillor does help, of course.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

Phil said:

@SebastianEPayne

Latest column for
    @theipaper

Britain may or may not be able to become a science superpower. The EU definitely won't.
    What's the plan for breaking free of the USA?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

It already is.
  • Options
    Totes stuck at the frontier
  • Options
    Hurry up
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

Potentially.

Imagine the railguns...

[...Mmmm....Imagines the plasma rifles...]

• Options

• Options

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

As I say, all positive.

Potentially.

I would agree, power transmission by far the least interesting thing to do with a superconductor.

I'm not convinced by the power storage either, as it depends on maintaining a very high magnetic field strength.

Imagine the "fun" you could have with it though. MRI scanners are dangerous enough...
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,423

HYUFD said:

Izzard is a fading, Blairite-ultra figure from the 90s. I wouldn't have said that would appeal to the demographics of Brighton Pavilion at all.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

He came to Broxtowe to help campaign and seemed very mainstream. Opinion was mixed on how voters responded in that relatively conservative part of the world, but that wouldn't be a problem in Brighton. Voters there seem pretty politicised, more interested in what you stand for (including your personal identity) then whether you happen to live up the road. In general I think people (especially local bloggers) exaggerate the importance of localness - most voters haven't heard of any of us until they get a zillion leaflets, and if they learn that candidate X lives nearby it can even be counter-productive, since they say "Well,, they seem pretty passive then, I've never heard of them". Actually being a popular local councillor does help, of course.
    Surely there are many even in Camden-on-Sea who just live normal lives, who aren't into the whole identity kick, and who don't give much of a toss for all the hippy capitalist w*nkers who say they're the "community" and engage with each other in local trading schemes.

That said, it's tempting to say Brighton deserves a comedian as its MP and when it comes down to it at least Izzard isn't a Green, so he's got that in his favour.
  • Options
    Can you make a superconducting electric motor?

Reduce the heating effects, but you need the magnetic field to make it turn...
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    viewcode said:

I see your Babylon 5 reference and raise you the Expanse, and top it with Transformers 2, which involves a US ship firing a railgun at the Transformer's scrotum.

Yes, that's actually in the dialogue.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Cookie said:

It already is.
    ESA launches Euclid via SpaceX, Virgin Orbit cocks up with a lot of low-value junk on a 747 from Newquay then goes bust.

And yes I know UK is one of 30 partners in ESA. Euclid - Italian satellite, French telescope.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Er, yes. And/or a generator.

Would improve, eg, wind turbine efficiencies by as much as 50% as they don't need to be optimised for a particular speed.

There was even a plan to make a wind turbine with a low temperature superconducting coil:
    https://www.ge.com/news/reports/how-cool-is-this-superconducting-generators-aim-to-unlock-more-offshore-wind-power-at-lower

The fact that it might be economic to do that, with all the complexity it involves, shows you just how big a thing this has the potential to be.
  • Options

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Although you're probably right people exaggerate the relevance of localness in general, we're looking at an unusual election here where a very popular MP is stepping down and a lot of her votes are up for grabs. It will be an intense campaign, with Labour and particularly Green activists descending on it and an unusually high proportion undecided. We're also looking at one where Labour will want to talk a lot about local issues, as the Green-run Council was very unpopular and lost badly in May.

In that context, the line that the Greens are parachuting in a carpetbagger is a really useful one for Labour, and I think they'd be fools to chuck it away.
  • Options

TimS said:

And even then, remember that Russia's economy is not the bear that the Soviets pretended theirs to be after the 1960s. Russia's GDP is #11 in the world before this mess started, and not even 2% of worldwide GDP. It's economy is smaller than Italy, France's or Brazil's. And that is if you fully believe their figures.

They can probably take more of that GDP into public hands than those other countries can, and they probably get a little more efficient spending as per PPP (though that might be offset by corruption). But their economy is not 'mighty', and has not been since the 1990s (again, if you believe their figures).

It's too easy to believe the Russian Stronk myth, both in military and economic terms. It's a myth.
    On the other hand, we need to be slightly careful when comparing wildly dissimilar economies by GDP. If the Russians (or the British) imposed a £1,000 a year toilet tax, and gave every household a £1,000 a year toilet tax subsidy, that is billions added to GDP and not a single person is better or worse off. The point of the story is Russia is (or claims to be) ramping up defence spending and that should worry us, even if all the increase is just replacing kit that got blown up in Ukraine (because it will be newer and shinier).
  • Options
    I'd say not prosecuting what are widely acknowledged probable crimes around trying to overturn a Presidential election sets a far more dangerous precedent.

Trump’s indictment is setting a ‘dangerous precedent’: Vivek Ramaswamy
    https://twitter.com/IngrahamAngle/status/1686710959866609665
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,752
    edited August 2023

TimS said:

On the other hand, we need to be slightly careful when comparing wildly dissimilar economies by GDP. If the Russians (or the British) imposed a £1,000 a year toilet tax, and gave every household a £1,000 a year toilet tax subsidy, that is billions added to GDP and not a single person is better or worse off. The point of the story is Russia is (or claims to be) ramping up defence spending and that should worry us, even if all the increase is just replacing kit that got blown up in Ukraine (because it will be newer and shinier).
    Although I agree one needs to be cautious about GDP comparisons, I don't actually think in your example that would in fact add to GDP, as the income approach to GDP measurement I believe nets off subsidies against tax revenues, so what you're describing would be a zero sum.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,777

HYUFD said:

Izzard is a fading, Blairite-ultra figure from the 90s. I wouldn't have said that would appeal to the demographics of Brighton Pavilion at all.
    I don't dislike Izzard, but the Greens deserve a voice in parliament, more than one really, so I hope they retain it.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Scott_xP said:

Cookie said:

It already is.
    ESA launches Euclid via SpaceX, Virgin Orbit cocks up with a lot of low-value junk on a 747 from Newquay then goes bust.

And yes I know UK is one of 30 partners in ESA. Euclid - Italian satellite, French telescope.
    Surrey Satellites - they actually saved the Galileo program by building a demo sat to use the frequencies before the frequency allocation expired.

There are a large number of very good UK companies in space industry - just not the flashy stuff.

Virgin Orbit was a fail from the moment Falcon 1 made orbit.

There are a couple of actual UK based launch companies that are getting serious. They will probably get to orbit before the ESA attempts at nurturing a small launcher ecosystem. Because the ESA efforts will be sabotaged by lobbyists for Ariane.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,120
    Leon said:

I’m on the bus! It’s here. All good

Freaky moment: as soon as I showed up and before I could talk a burly man approached me and said “I know who you are, show me your passport, you are Leon”

Lol. I thought for a second it was @MikeSmithson unexpectedly come to ban me in person for
    exaggerating my wartime exploits, as David Niven explicitly warned against

Turns out the Ukrainian authorities/police keep a really beady eye on any foreigners crossing any frontier - eg booking transnational bus tickets

Yet again, however, Boris came in handy. When I confirmed I was from England he burst into a rare Slavic smile. “Ah, England. You are our friend. Good country!”

They really do like us

I just arrived in Warsaw.

To say I’m a little nervous about what the next 24 hours brings, would be something of an understatement!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,556

He just said he was giving it up and left.

I never paid close attention to him but, from what I saw, it didn't seem Twitter was particularly good for his mental health, and it was probably a wise decision.
    thanks.
  • Options
    [...Mmmm....Imagines the Electrothermalchemical (ETC) cannons...]

• Options

Scott_xP said:

Would improve, eg, wind turbine efficiencies by as much as 50% as they don't need to be optimised for a particular speed.

There was even a plan to make a wind turbine with a low temperature superconducting coil:
    https://www.ge.com/news/reports/how-cool-is-this-superconducting-generators-aim-to-unlock-more-offshore-wind-power-at-lower

The fact that it might be economic to do that, with all the complexity it involves, shows you just how big a thing this has the potential to be.
    Similar considerations apply to electric motors, don't they ?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,039
    Peck said:

A local blogger opines:

Izzard helped Leave win the referendum by turning up to Question Time wearing lipstick and a pink beret to debate Farage. God forbid he's put into a position where he can help the Greens keep the Brighton seat after losing the council.

Also it's nice to have a bit of clarity in a leader or representative, and a lack of clarity about what "gender" he is isn't a good sign.

I guess you can't blame him for having a go at being a politician. He had a go at being funny and completely failed in that endeavour IMHO, so where else can someone who is quite talentless but nonetheless has a massive ego do with themselves?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

I see your Babylon 5 reference and raise you the Expanse, and top it with Transformers 2, which involves a US ship firing a railgun at the Transformer's scrotum.

What about a lightweight field-reversed configuration fusion reactor ?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,985
    edited August 2023

HYUFD said:

I don't dislike Izzard, but the Greens deserve a voice in parliament, more than one really, so I hope they retain it.
    The problem for the Greens is that Lucas had a huge personal vote, built up over many years. Everybody to the left of centre in her constituency adored her, including most of those who were still Labour loyalists. It's a shame she's decided to jack it in.

I expect a Labour gain: Brighton Pavilion will go the same way as the other two Brighton constituencies (Kemptown and Hove), which are now solid Labour despite being Tory not so long ago.
  • Options

Peck said:

A local blogger opines:

I guess you can't blame him for having a go at being a politician. He had a go at being funny and completely failed in that endeavour IMHO, so where else can someone who is quite talentless but nonetheless has a massive ego do with themselves?
    He's a pretty decent actor though.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes. With a motor you could make it much smaller for the same amount of power and at a greater efficiency.

Again, there's experiments afoot with cryogenic superconducting motors (with the ultimate aim of putting them in aircraft):
    https://www.engineering.com/story/fully-superconducting-motor-prepares-for-testing

I suspect it is the really small stuff (computing) that would be most revolutionary though.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I agree but I would rather it was a local green rather than an entitled carpetbagger, and I'd say the same for any party.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Just reverse the polarity of the neutron flow, using your Finkelgruber, and it's sorted.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

You mean Mr Fusion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptlhgFaB89Y&t=4s
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,985

Peck said:

A local blogger opines:

Post on PB?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,866
    Nigelb said:

We made the rocks

This is fairly remarkable.

Something looks to be going on. Whether or not it's room temperature superconductivity is still open. The partial floating could be variable purity within the sample?

I was about 1-5% on "This could be real." Amending prior to 20-30% or so convinced.

Massive, massive news if it is true.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes. With a motor you could make it much smaller for the same amount of power and at a greater efficiency.

Again, there's experiments afoot with cryogenic superconducting motors (with the ultimate aim of putting them in aircraft):
    https://www.engineering.com/story/fully-superconducting-motor-prepares-for-testing

I suspect it is the really small stuff (computing) that would be most revolutionary though.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

I’m on the bus! It’s here. All good

Freaky moment: as soon as I showed up and before I could talk a burly man approached me and said “I know who you are, show me your passport, you are Leon”

Lol. I thought for a second it was @MikeSmithson unexpectedly come to ban me in person for
    exaggerating my wartime exploits, as David Niven explicitly warned against

Turns out the Ukrainian authorities/police keep a really beady eye on any foreigners crossing any frontier - eg booking transnational bus tickets

Yet again, however, Boris came in handy. When I confirmed I was from England he burst into a rare Slavic smile. “Ah, England. You are our friend. Good country!”

They really do like us

I just arrived in Warsaw.

To say I’m a little nervous about what the next 24 hours brings, would be something of an understatement!
    It’s a doddle. I’ve just left Ukraine and I’m now in Romania

Incidentally I believe I have found the easiest and quickest way into Ukraine. You fly direct from london Luton to Suceava, Romania on Wizzair. 3 hours 30.

Another 3-4 hours on a bus from Suceava takes you over the border to Chernivtsi Ukraine. That’s it

That is surely why all the rich dudes are in Chernivtsi. It’s the easiest way in and out - and off to the West

Going to Ukraine is like parachuting. Statistically it is safe (away from the front line) Yet your mind says No! Reflexively. Because it’s a war zone. Like jumping out of a plane feels all wrong

But then you jump and you realise it IS safe. And also exhilarating. And you want to do it again

I’m going back ASAP. Odesa probably
  • Options
    It's Far From Being All Over........

New Thread one and All
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,607
    Nigelb asked: "Why is it that the BBC almost only ever interview Republicans when reporting in US politics ?"

Routine BBC anti-Americanism?

(I suspect they don't interview the Republicans I would. For instance, the current estimate is that PEPFAR has saved about 25 million lives, most in sub-Saharan Africa. This September, the US State Department will make its annual report on the program. That would be a good time for the BBC to interview Condoleezza Rice and George W. Bush. But I feel comfortable predicting that they won't.)
This discussion has been closed.