Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’ll be hard for Sunak to hang on unless this changes – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,974
    edited August 2023
    edit
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,607
    edited August 2023
    There is a problem for some vegans and vegetarians in the US: "Nearly 40% of girls and young women in the U.S. may have iron deficiency, which can lead to fatigue and increase the risk of many health problems, according to a new study.

The researchers also found that 6 in every 100 of the girls and young women had extremely low iron levels, known as iron-deficiency anemia, which impacts the blood’s ability to carry oxygen throughout the body.
    . . .
    The Cleveland Clinic says the most common causes of iron-deficiency anemia are those that involve blood loss, including heavy menstrual periods. The body gets iron from food, and not getting enough iron from food, such as due to eating a vegan or vegetarian diet, can also lead to deficiency."
    source: https://www.webmd.com/women/news/20230628/young-girls-women-high-risk-iron-deficiency-study-about

There are, as I am sure most of you know, solutions. But they are easier for those who regularly eat red meat. For example, I once lived with a young woman who, once a month, cooked liver and onions for us. (I never objected, though that is not one of my favorite dishes.)

But I suspect those solutions take more work for vegans and vegetarians, and perhas should include regular screenings.
This discussion has been closed.