Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Has Sunak been too influenced by Uxbridge? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,429

Eabhal said:

Can't build HS2
    Can't install heat pumps
    Can't build segregated cycle lanes
    Can't cycle 5 miles across Edinburgh
    Can't run a bath
    Can't run a tap

66 years between flight and the moon.

My wife says that one of the problems with Ireland is the emigrant culture. Any time life gets hard those who are most able and most frustrated leave the country. So the country is left with people who will put up with crap, don't recognise it's crap, or can't do any better. (Not sure what that says about us moving to the place, but we'll leave that for another time).

What's Britain's excuse?
    A sort of simultaneous superiority inferiority complex?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,686

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Jesus. Heat pumps and ULEZ. It is august

So we’ve done CASTLES, how about BATTLEFIELDS - memorable, haunting, cleverly explained, simply epochal - what are the world’s top ten battlefields?

Top of my head:

Thiepval Ridge and the Somme

Berlin in toto: all the war damage everywhere which you can still see, from 1945

Franklin, Tennessee: hugely evocative, blood stained floorboards your can see where the surgeon did his urgent amputations

Aaaaand as I type that, the air raid sirens go off

Berlin sprung to mind immediately. But also the Normandy beaches.
    Surely it has to be turning points? In which case, the battle of Kursk/ Prokhorovka ?
    Battle of Hastings (wherever that site is).
    Trafalgar or Borodino?
    Lake Poyang?
    Battle of Saratoga?
    Er, you have to have been to them - so you can personally and authoritatively say: wow

Syracuse is interesting. Hadn’t thought of naval/classical battles

Has anyone been to Thermopylae?

Culloden is oddly banal

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,070
    Phil said:

eek said:

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

I think Uxbridge was the catalyst that sparked a whole new narrative not only about the ULEZ scheme but the rush to green policies that many cannot afford and especially with the cost of living crisis

Evs are not affordable for millions, heat pumps are not only unaffordable but in many cases not practical, requiring properties to have a 'c' efficiency rating to be sold is also unaffordable for many, and our 2030 ban on ICE cars is silly when the EU is 2035

I have no idea whether Sunak will benefit from his obvious move to differentiate from Labour, but there are 35 million motorists in the UK who are an important group politicially and indeed the Sun is taking up their cause judging by today's front page

Another one with “heat pump denialism”.
    Silly comment just as is saying NZ is used in 50% homes in NZ ( actual figure is 40%) when properties in NZ are very different to the UK

This from the Guardian confirms the high cost and uncertainties chills the heat pump market

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/apr/15/high-costs-and-uncertainties-cast-a-chill-over-britains-heat-pump-market
    Can someone explain why electric boilers can't work instead of heat pumps? Much less disruptive in UK homes where space is very limited.
    Electric boilers are only ~98% efficient but heat pumps are 200% - 400% efficient as they are using energy to transfer heat from the external environment into the house rather generating heat directly.
    We comprehensively concluded on here yesterday that heat pumps are shit unless you have a Grand Designs Scandi-noir cum Roman villa home, which funnily enough most people don't.
    Wrong.

Heat pumps work in houses built to modern insulation standards.

Underfloor heating helps, and is the default for ground floors in modern construction. Or remodelling.

Underfloor heating is just a really long hose zigzagging about under your floor.
    Didn't this story begin with the point that heatpumps don't work well in Scotland where the ait temperature can be below -15 degrees.

I remember a story last week that Sweden has 200,000 heat pumps a year being installed and wondered what made Sweden different to Scotland. Turns out Sweden aren't installing Air source heatpumps they are drilling deep holes and installing Ground Source heat pumps instead.

Ground source Heatpumps cost a lot more money..

And yep - you need a well insulated house before a heat pump starts to make sense...
    There are air source heat pumps on the market which are specced to work down to -30℃. I linked to a Samsung one yesterday.

Insulation is in some ways a red herring - the real question is can your heating system put out as much heat as is lost to the outside. You can spec a heat pump that will match the output & fluid working temperature of a gas boiler in an existing system, but it’ll cost more. Better insulation and larger rads / underfloor heating reduce the heat flow needs, meaning you can spec a smaller heat pump running at a lower working temp which brings down costs.

Again, heat pumps do what they say on the tin. If you (or your installer) fails to read the tin, that’s not the fault of the heat pump.
    They may be specced to work to -30℃. but they are way less efficient at -30℃ then at 5℃..... See https://www.viessmann.co.uk/en/heating-advice/heat-pumps/what-temperature-is-a-heat-pump-not-effective.html

Whioch is why I believe Sweden is installing bore hole ground source pumps....
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,015
    edited August 2023

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

So we’ve done CASTLES, how about BATTLEFIELDS - memorable, haunting, cleverly explained, simply epochal - what are the world’s top ten battlefields?

Top of my head:

Berlin in toto: all the war damage everywhere which you can still see, from 1945

Franklin, Tennessee: hugely evocative, blood stained floorboards your can see where the surgeon did his urgent amputations

Trouble is many UK battlefields have zero interpretation, apart from a monument, often in the wrong or at least misleading location.

There's Bannockburn, of course, with NTS interpretation. But it has changed so much since 1314. Also Culloden.
    I’ve only been to Culloden once, on a damp, misty day. Evocative, with all those stoned.
    Inverness does indeed have a drugs problem.

On castles, Fort George is fairly spectacular.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,823
    Leon said:

Top of my head:

I think Americans are the best at interpreting battlefields.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,722
    algarkirk said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

I fucking hate single taps. How do you know how much cold water you are putting in to a bath if it's all coming out of the same tap.

Eh ? You're trying to get a bath to the right temperature for you or a little one, surely more difficult to judge with two taps as you can't stick your hand under it and go "that's about right" (After initially running straight hot because the warm water is 'coming through'). Easier with a single faucet tap ;)
    Eh yourself. You can't tell by sticking your hand under the water when it's just started running. You need to know just how much cold and just how much hot (which I do - for myself) and then do that and adjust it as appropriate. You can't do that if there is just one tap because you don't know how much you have adjusted it (sometimes the taps shut off altogether).
    What are you talking about? With a single tap you just adjust it left/right to find the temperature you want. Super easy.
    But what if you turn the tap down because you want only a small amount of cold water in your bath and then, as is so often the case, the water stops altogether because you have turned it down too much and you end up with a bath that is too hot.

What then?
    At least the one I have you set the amount of water by moving it up/down, and the temperature by left/right. So you can have lots of hot or cold water, or lots of water at the right temperature. Similarly, a little hot or cold water or a little water at the right temperature.

I don’t think I’ve ever run a bath at the wrong temperature. You simply put your hand under the stream, adjust it to the temperature you want, then let it run. I literally can’t imagine ever being in the scenario you describe.

Then there comes that dreadful moment when the water's running cold
    In the bath, in the bath!
    When the soap is lost forever and one's feeling tired and old
    It's time to pull the plug out, time to mop the bathroom floor.
    The towel is in the cupboard, and the cupboard is next door!
    It's started running hot! Let's have another hour or more

From In the Bath, Flanders and Swann.
    The latest fad for the rich(er) is to have a special tap for drinking water in the kitchen (descaling, filtration), and a special boiling water tap. Sometimes these are combined (different modes on the same tap), but often separate
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896
    kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Can't build HS2
    Can't install heat pumps
    Can't run a bath
    Can't run a tap

My wife says that one of the problems with Ireland is the emigrant culture. Any time life gets hard those who are most able and most frustrated leave the country. So the country is left with people who will put up with crap, don't recognise it's crap, or can't do any better. (Not sure what that says about us moving to the place, but we'll leave that for another time).

What's Britain's excuse?
    A feature we share with our French siblings. (And, unfortunately, the Russians).
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,114

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

I fucking hate single taps. How do you know how much cold water you are putting in to a bath if it's all coming out of the same tap.

Eh ? You're trying to get a bath to the right temperature for you or a little one, surely more difficult to judge with two taps as you can't stick your hand under it and go "that's about right" (After initially running straight hot because the warm water is 'coming through'). Easier with a single faucet tap ;)
    Eh yourself. You can't tell by sticking your hand under the water when it's just started running. You need to know just how much cold and just how much hot (which I do - for myself) and then do that and adjust it as appropriate. You can't do that if there is just one tap because you don't know how much you have adjusted it (sometimes the taps shut off altogether).
    What are you talking about? With a single tap you just adjust it left/right to find the temperature you want. Super easy.
    But what if you turn the tap down because you want only a small amount of cold water in your bath and then, as is so often the case, the water stops altogether because you have turned it down too much and you end up with a bath that is too hot.

What then?
    Just have a little cry.
    Tell me about it. The tears flow. Unlike the cold water.
    Perhaps you have seen ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion? Or C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate?
    Tears...in the kettle. Time to boil. ☹️
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,367
    Leon said:

Top of my head:

Verdun.

The French didn't fuck about glossing over what happened.

• Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

I’ve never done the Normandy beaches. I should

I’m trying to think of a really evocative battlefield in the UK. I can’t. Tho I’ve never been to Batfle in Hastings

The most powerful war-site in Britain is, to my mind, the extant bomb damage in london from the blitz

If you look hard enough there’s lots of it
    A picture of my home city after the bomb sites had been cleared… when my mother is a bit cranky, I remember that she lived through this when she was six… she recalls going to school in the morning and finding another empty desk in the classroom…

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,437
    algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

Somme. All day long. Looking out over that vast expanse of grassland (yes the odd poppy) and thinking: a million men died here.
    Yes. This is why WW1 resonates and will resonate more and longer than WW11 in the UK.

Every village however small lost men in WW1, but not in WW11. In villages round here brief biogs of WW1 fallen are still read out in the open air on Remembrance Sunday. People still come. "He has no known grave" are the most haunting words I ever hear.
    Apropos of nothing, we once lost a quiz because the question master read Apollo 11 as Apollo two. We tried to imagine what was unusual about Apollo 2 but couldn't think of anything. The 'correct' answer was the first manned moon landing.

Please, in the spirit of Anabob, WW2, not WW11 (world war eleven?)
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

I think Americans are the best at interpreting battlefields.
    It’s a definite skill and they do it well. Franklin is superb. They have kept a small shed which is absolutely peppered and shredded with gunshot

Gives you a sense of the intensity

It’s odd because Americans are usually quite bad at preserving stuff. Like entire downtowns

But battlefields 👍
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,471

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Pathetic defences of hot and cold taps on here.
    No wonder British shop stewards were so uniquely destructive in the 60s and 70s.

Let's just clear this up:

a) you aren't British; and
    b) you don't live in the UK.

Can't you find a forum about Danish politics for Somali ex-pats living in Peru to comment on.
    Just a casual bit of racism for a Tuesday afternoon, is it, Topping?
    Which bit is racist.
    The bit where apparently I’m not British so I don’t get a voice.

You raddled old bigot. Vile, vile individual.
    Is being British or ("apparently") not a racial characteristic?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

I think if you're barging into other people's houses for a bath you need to take whatever tap arrangement you can get.
    But he'd have his own towel, on tyhe other hand.
    I thought he also required a corgette? Or was it a cucumber?
  • Options
    TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

Can't build HS2
    Can't install heat pumps
    Can't run a bath
    Can't run a tap

What's Britain's excuse?
    A feature we share with our French siblings. (And, unfortunately, the Russians).
    It's the way people have an instinctive opposition to something and then desperately scrabble around for a reason.

However much you dismantle their arguments, they'll find something else. Seems particularly the case for green stuff.
  • Options

Leon said:

Top of my head:

Verdun.

Crikey 😶
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254
    algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

Somme. All day long. Looking out over that vast expanse of grassland (yes the odd poppy) and thinking: a million men died here.
    Yes. This is why WW1 resonates and will resonate more and longer than WW11 in the UK.

Every village however small lost men in WW1, but not in WW11. In villages round here brief biogs of WW1 fallen are still read out in the open air on Remembrance Sunday. People still come. "He has no known grave" are the most haunting words I ever hear.
    I stopped at a War Memorial in a local village recently and looked at the names. About the same number in each war, but the sad part was the same surnames repeated in both sections
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,945
    edited August 2023
    eek said:

Phil said:

eek said:

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

I think Uxbridge was the catalyst that sparked a whole new narrative not only about the ULEZ scheme but the rush to green policies that many cannot afford and especially with the cost of living crisis

Evs are not affordable for millions, heat pumps are not only unaffordable but in many cases not practical, requiring properties to have a 'c' efficiency rating to be sold is also unaffordable for many, and our 2030 ban on ICE cars is silly when the EU is 2035

I have no idea whether Sunak will benefit from his obvious move to differentiate from Labour, but there are 35 million motorists in the UK who are an important group politicially and indeed the Sun is taking up their cause judging by today's front page

Silly comment just as is saying NZ is used in 50% homes in NZ ( actual figure is 40%) when properties in NZ are very different to the UK

This from the Guardian confirms the high cost and uncertainties chills the heat pump market

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/apr/15/high-costs-and-uncertainties-cast-a-chill-over-britains-heat-pump-market
    Can someone explain why electric boilers can't work instead of heat pumps? Much less disruptive in UK homes where space is very limited.
    Electric boilers are only ~98% efficient but heat pumps are 200% - 400% efficient as they are using energy to transfer heat from the external environment into the house rather generating heat directly.
    We comprehensively concluded on here yesterday that heat pumps are shit unless you have a Grand Designs Scandi-noir cum Roman villa home, which funnily enough most people don't.
    Wrong.

Heat pumps work in houses built to modern insulation standards.

Underfloor heating helps, and is the default for ground floors in modern construction. Or remodelling.

Underfloor heating is just a really long hose zigzagging about under your floor.
    Didn't this story begin with the point that heatpumps don't work well in Scotland where the ait temperature can be below -15 degrees.

I remember a story last week that Sweden has 200,000 heat pumps a year being installed and wondered what made Sweden different to Scotland. Turns out Sweden aren't installing Air source heatpumps they are drilling deep holes and installing Ground Source heat pumps instead.

Ground source Heatpumps cost a lot more money..

And yep - you need a well insulated house before a heat pump starts to make sense...
    There are air source heat pumps on the market which are specced to work down to -30℃. I linked to a Samsung one yesterday.

Insulation is in some ways a red herring - the real question is can your heating system put out as much heat as is lost to the outside. You can spec a heat pump that will match the output & fluid working temperature of a gas boiler in an existing system, but it’ll cost more. Better insulation and larger rads / underfloor heating reduce the heat flow needs, meaning you can spec a smaller heat pump running at a lower working temp which brings down costs.

Again, heat pumps do what they say on the tin. If you (or your installer) fails to read the tin, that’s not the fault of the heat pump.
    They may be specced to work to -30℃. but they are way less efficient at -30℃ then at 5℃..... See https://www.viessmann.co.uk/en/heating-advice/heat-pumps/what-temperature-is-a-heat-pump-not-effective.html

Whioch is why I believe Sweden is installing bore hole ground source pumps....
    The one I linked to had a manufacturer specced COP of 5 down to -25℃ : https://www.samsung.com/uk/business/climate/heating/ac-ehs-ae120bxydeg-eu/

Seriously, air source heat pumps have moved on in the last few years.
  • Options
    On Topic:

Perhaps Sunak does not really care? He has been PM long enough to ensure that he will benefit from all the perks and only needs to ensure that he does not look a total idiot a la Truss to ensure plenty of turns on the ex-leader speaking circuit.

In fact it would be better for him to lose the election, free himself of the loons and blame the loss on the unleadable uber-nutjobs. He could stand down with his reputation as intact as possible and let the circus commence...
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,791

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

I can earnestly assure you that my 88-yo father does no live in a “scandi-noir cum villa”.

He lives in a 1950s wooden bungalow.
    And he has a heat pump. And, shock, a mixer tap.

Get into the 21st century, FFS.
    I thought you worked in engineering.
    No wonder HS2 is fucked, if this is the level of ambition.
    I didn't work on HS2, and look at posts from the other day on precisely the problems with that.

We comprehensively debated and fisked all the problems with heat pumps on here the other day.

They move heat from one place to another, they don't generate it, and are crap except for equilibrium warming to modest modal temperatures, and require very high quality insulation to do even they. Extremely cold snap or a hot bath? Forget it.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No wonder British shop stewards were so uniquely destructive in the 60s and 70s.

Can't you find a forum about Danish politics for Somali ex-pats living in Peru to comment on.
    Which bit is racist.

Dunno. Racism is a set of internal cognitive dissonances. No wonder you spout absolute rubbish.
  • Options
    Some of the World War 1 battlefields in the Tyrol are absolutely haunting. “The white war” - as it was fought in the snow. More than a million men died IIRC

Often they fought while clinging to the sides of frozen mountains
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,069
    Leon said:

The subject of this morning's phone in is, what's the best THING?

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

I stopped at a War Memorial in a local village recently and looked at the names. About the same number in each war, but the sad part was the same surnames repeated in both sections
    Generally we as a country lost about half as many dead in WW2 than WW1. In smaller villages in particular there would have been strong continuity of family names.

My maternal gran's lost around 5 brothers in WW2, from around 13 siblings. Big families back then too.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

You like drinking mucky tanked water do you?
    I don’t - and neither does the entire western world - who moved to mixer taps a very long time ago - drink hot water.

Do you?

Get into the 21st century.
    I know you are an antiquarian but you needn’t bathe like one.
    There is zero chance of being given a lukewarm glass of water with a cold tap.

With a mixer tap, I'd say 1/3 of those I'm handed are not cold.

Quite so. You need to run it for 15-20 seconds or so to affirm you've reached peak cold discharge.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

I can earnestly assure you that my 88-yo father does no live in a “scandi-noir cum villa”.

I didn't work on HS2, and look at posts from the other day on precisely the problems with that.

We comprehensively debated and fisked all the problems with heat pumps on here the other day.

They move heat from one place to another, they don't generate it, and are crap except for equilibrium warming to modest modal temperatures, and require very high quality insulation to do even they. Extremely cold snap or a hot bath? Forget it.
    I wasn’t here the other day, but if the great mixer debate is any signal, many PBers are simply uncomfortable with technology unless it was personally approved by Stafford Cripps.

I’m sure the Norwegians will be traumatised to hear that they can no longer take hot baths in a cold snap.
  • Options

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

I’m trying to think of a really evocative battlefield in the UK. I can’t. Tho I’ve never been to Batfle in Hastings

The most powerful war-site in Britain is, to my mind, the extant bomb damage in london from the blitz

A picture of my home city after the bomb sites had been cleared… when my mother is a bit cranky, I remember that she lived through this when she was six… she recalls going to school in the morning and finding another empty desk in the classroom…

Apropos this image & the other perennial PB debate (housing + planning) - I saw a paper recently that analysed the building that had been carried out on sites in London bombed by the Germans during WWII which concluded that the current GDP of London was 1% higher than it would otherwise have been thanks to the bombing campaign. The reason was that the bombing cleared out old buildings & enabled (eventually) their replacement with newer, more modern buildings that were better suited to London’s later economic needs.

Not sure the residents of London would have thanked us for telling them that at the time though!
  • Options
    TimS said:

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

Or just live in another country where they seem to have no such problem.

Reminds me of Americans agonising over the feasibility of high speed rail or contactless credit cards.
    Americans have totally failed to build high speed rail.

I couldn't care less if it works in other countries like NZ or Norway.

I care if it works for us here and meets our expectations.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Be honest. Are you enjoying the heat pump/ULEZ debates?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,546

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

Apropos of nothing, we once lost a quiz because the question master read Apollo 11 as Apollo two. We tried to imagine what was unusual about Apollo 2 but couldn't think of anything. The 'correct' answer was the first manned moon landing.

WWII, cos Roman Numerals innit. Who needs zeroes or place value, when you have Roman Numerals that you can carve into stone.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

It’s marginally more interesting than your reading through an atlas.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

Why do you keep repeating this rubbish?

Who cares where the heat comes from so long as it ends up in the home? Generated or moved, it’s the same heat.

& they work fine if specced correctly. Builders failing to spec heating installs is (sadly) not an unusual problem in the UK, but it is a solvable one.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

Verdun.

Crikey 😶
    Verdun is the classic example of how morale and determination can make a big difference in war. Von Falkenhayne (?) was the German general. He figured that the sentimental attachment of the French to the site was so high they would sacrifice so many men in its defense as to bleed them white and precipitate a surrender. He was right, and the French losses were hideous. But the German didn't realise how many Germans were dying in the attack, and was forced to call it off. Poetically if not literally, the French drowned the Germans in French blood.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,523
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

If you include bomb damage then Coventry Cathedral

ETA: Some of the old airfields are quite haunting, round these parts (N Yorks - there are a lot, some with bits of the old munitions stores etc/runways remaining)
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

I wasn’t here the other day, but if the great mixer debate is any signal, many PBers are simply uncomfortable with technology unless it was personally approved by Stafford Cripps.

I’m sure the Norwegians will be traumatised to hear that they can no longer take hot baths in a cold snap.
    I suspect Norwegian homes are better insulated. Many crap older buildings in the UK won't cope with having the lower temperature outputs of heat pumps without radical insulation and/or changes to the pipes and radiators.

Different countries have different issues. When I lived in Auckland for a year I noticed how a lot of the housing stock had little insulation. But then there was little need, with a lowest winter temp of 5 deg C.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

Your rejection of scientific fact is woke nonsense.
    It isn't scientific fact, I'm afraid. And I know more about science and engineering that you will in a hundred lifetimes, sunshine.

Those who use heat pumps confirmed the woeful output temperature and a very high level of insulation to get them to work properly, which then delivers a modest ambient temperature all-year round.

What is Woke is to advocate for them regardless because that's the achingly right-on thing to do, regardless of the impact it has on real people's lives or the cost.

• Options

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

WWII, cos Roman Numerals innit. Who needs zeroes or place value, when you have Roman Numerals that you can carve into stone.
    WWII yes, WW11 as posted above, not so much...
  • Options

The latest fad for the rich(er) is to have a special tap for drinking water in the kitchen (descaling, filtration), and a special boiling water tap. Sometimes these are combined (different modes on the same tap), but often separate

The idea of having a tap of scalding-hot water is absolutely bonkers. I understand why kitchen suppliers try to sell them, but I can't for the life of me see why anyone is so unaware as to buy one.
    You don’t believe in Britain hard enough.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

The idea of having a tap of scalding-hot water is absolutely bonkers. I understand why kitchen suppliers try to sell them, but I can't for the life of me see why anyone is so unaware as to buy one.
    They’re sold as a replacement for your kettle.

Supposedly there’s a child lock on the things, but all that meant was that last time I was in a friends house that had one of the things I couldn’t work out how to get hot water out of it. I imagine you learn the knack pretty quickly if you actually get one though.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

Who cares where the heat comes from so long as it ends up in the home? Generated or moved, it’s the same heat.

& they work fine if specced correctly. Builders failing to spec heating installs is (sadly) not an unusual problem in the UK, but it is a solvable one.
    Apparently he’s an engineer.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,056
    Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

Heat Pumps Are Woke.
  • Options

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

It’s marginally more interesting than your reading through of an atlas.
    Sifting my memory banks. Ive been to a lot of places

Also PB is really good on military history. Unsurprising given our demographic but still: we are very good at it
  • Options

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

"Best walled garden"
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

Verdun.

Crikey 😶
    Verdun is the classic example of how morale and determination can make a big difference in war. Von Falkenhayne (?) was the German general. He figured that the sentimental attachment of the French to the site was so high they would sacrifice so many men in its defense as to bleed them white and precipitate a surrender. He was right, and the French losses were hideous. But the German didn't realise how many Germans were dying in the attack, and was forced to call it off. Poetically if not literally, the French drowned the Germans in French blood.
    Is this interpretation the whole story? I though I had read that Falkenhayne produced this version of his plan after the battle?
  • Options

Boil exactly as much water as you need, rapidly.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

Do you trust your freezer to keep your food frozen at -18C in the middle of summer?
  • Options

TimS said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Heat pumps are used in around 50% of NZ homes (climate, not so different from the UK’s), and more so in the colder regions.

So that's a full 325 people in NZ who benefit from heat pumps. Yay.
    Typical head-in-the-sand arrogance.
    Using simple arrows and highlighting please let me know where the heat pumps go here:

What percentage of Britons live in 1960s brutalist towers?
    Brutalist towers should be easy: single central heating and cooling system for the whole building as is the case with office blocks. Community heating, ideally with its own solar generation covering at least some of the electricity requirements.

That can be either ground source heat pump or air source or CHP hot water. Equipment on the ground / basement or roof.

The European countries where heat pumps have taken off include several with far more apartment living than the UK.
    I did assume something like this.

I really can’t understand why there is so much resistance to heat pumps, when they are mainstream in growing parts of the world.

It’s like the British insistence on bad dentistry, or having a separate hot and cold tap.
    It is the cost and the unsuitable nature of many of our homes, especially older ones

Furthermore it is the same as so much of the green agenda, it is being rushed rather than have a longer transition period

The UK represent just 1% of carbon emissions, and any sensible discussions on this would realise that you cannot change people's cars, their home heating systems, and many other aspect their life in just a few years
    What’s 1% of carbon emissions got to do with anything.
    NZ represents a tiny fraction of that, and it’s mass movement to heat pumps has almost nothing to do with the “green agenda”.

Anyway, on your indexed pension you can afford it more than most, so cough up.
    Why do you personalise your comments, and by the way you have no knowledge whatsoever of my pension or circumstances

It has been explained to you, not only in the Guardian article I posted, but by others and yet you want to ignore the perfectly reasonable engagement with you and hurl insults which is a sure sign you have no arguments left
    But the 1 percent argument is a pretty thin one.

The UK is less than 1 percent of the world population, so on average we are creating more than our share of pollution

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

So the problem is that Conservatives don't like to talk about redistribution?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Best outbuilding! Ten greatest sheds in ten seconds…get ready, GO!
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,643

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

WWII yes, WW11 as posted above, not so much...
    Point taken. Mea absolutely maxima culpa. Still haunting words though.

• Options

That is what a kettle is for. They even come with markings up the side - 1 cup, 2 cups, 3 cups, etc...
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

I suspect Norwegian homes are better insulated. Many crap older buildings in the UK won't cope with having the lower temperature outputs of heat pumps without radical insulation and/or changes to the pipes and radiators.

Different countries have different issues. When I lived in Auckland for a year I noticed how a lot of the housing stock had little insulation. But then there was little need, with a lowest winter temp of 5 deg C.
    As I posted above, the heat pumps are even more highly deployed where it’s colder, ie the South Island.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

Verdun.

Crikey 😶
    Ditto Stalingrad

I’ve been told the statue of Mother Russia there can move grown men to sobbing tears
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    Given polling showing opposition to ULEZ in outer London and support for new oil and gas licenses in the North Sea, especially amongst 2019 Conservative voters, Sunak does seem to have found a clear dividing line with Labour. As Uxbridge showed it could pay off in key Tory held seats
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Leon said:

Battle is no great shakes, TBH, although the Abbey is worth a look if you're in the area. However, you won't find anything evocative of the battle itself - in fact, historians are unsure about exactly where it was, except that most of them agree that it wasn't at Battle.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,777
    Have you ever pressed 'send' and suddenly wished you hadn't?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-66371569
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

Do you trust your freezer to keep your food frozen at -18C in the middle of summer?
    Casino employs a man who brings ice from the Alps to Basingstoke.
  • Options
    Does Hiroshima count? I was (the equivalent of) interrailing through Japan and we arrived, on August 6th, at Hiroshima. The famous dome is still there and anyone who has been to the gallery of pictures painted by children - here is a picture of mummy with her skin hanging off - will remember it very well.

That evening there was a lantern procession on the river and as we were walking around (and especially in the museums, where they reproduce headlines from western papers essentially saying "Gotcha") it was all a bit weird.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

Scientific fact is rubbish? Interesting that's the depth of your intellect.

Heat pumps move heat from outside the home to inside the home. Because they move it and don't generate it the heat is naturally limiting. In other words, there's a limit to how much kJ of energy it can pump, given the ambient air temperature, and the lower the outside temperature the lower that will be. Further, it will tend to "leach" out again unless the heat insulation is very good. That's air to air. If you do air to water then you might get some heat into the radiators but not a lot and converting it into hot water - for a decent bath - is also going to be very disappointing unless you immersion heat it with electricity on top.

These are all facts. Seemingly, beyond your comprehension.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,367
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

Verdun.

Crikey 😶
    In one of those quirky ripples of history (like an imprisoned Gavrilo Princip dying in Terezin which became the Theresienstadt ghetto in WWII), the designer of the ossuary also designed the Maginot Line.
  • Options

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

What city is that, please?

To my mind Plymouth & Devonport (including especially the dockyard), and Portsmouth, show the bomb damage a lot more than London where it is spread out. Or they used to. Perhaps more recent urban building has changed that. Exeter too (as Leon remarked as well the other day).

But it can still surprise. Mum's cousin lived in an Orpington cul de sac. I had been there many timwes and it was only when clearing up after her demise that I suddenly realised the implications of the pattern of original roofs ... new flat roofs ... and a different house in the street. And somehwerre in SE London or Kent there is at least one neat round pond left by a V-2, and a wood where scraps of a V-1 still lie.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

As I posted above, the heat pumps are even more highly deployed where it’s colder, ie the South Island.
    Because that's where their greater efficiency will produce the greatest cost saving.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

Heat Pumps Are Woke.
    They sort of are in the sense they are being pushed because of "The Vibe", and the tribe people sense as being behind them, rather than the facts dispassionate and agnostic of who's advocating for them.
  • Options

You have contempt for Britain.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,528
    HYUFD said:

Given polling showing opposition to ULEZ in outer London and support for new oil and gas licenses in the North Sea, especially amongst 2019 Conservative voters, Sunak does seem to have found a clear dividing line with Labour. As Uxbridge showed it could pay off in key Tory held seats

I could see Sunak running a Labour Green Tax Bombshell campaign. Cynical as hell but I am not surprised by anything the Tories do anymore.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Which bit is racist.

Dunno. Racism is a set of internal cognitive dissonances. No wonder you spout absolute rubbish.
    Not what my dictionary says. "racial or ethnic grouping". Which of those is being or not being British?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

"Best walled garden"
    Nice one

1. Glendurgan, Cornwall
    2. The garden of the Villa Medici, Rome
    3. Chateau de Villandry, the Loire Valley
    4. The zen garden of the Temple of the Silver Pavilion, Kyoto, Japan
    5. Gethsemane, Jerusalem

Off the top of my head
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    Boris' plans for a new swimming pool at his £3.8m Oxfordshire mansion threatened by newts
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66370646
  • Options

You have contempt for Britain.
    You have contempt for modernity, and dissent.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,069
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Compared to your eBay Dan Snow act, very much so.
  • Options

We have them at work, makes a good bit of sense there - otherwise you're into constantly messing with kettles or one of those on-the-wall boilers, which is the same thing really. Wouldn't have one at home with the kids though, too accessible.

Anyway, when I'm making a hot drink at home it's a chance to take a few minutes, see the kids, chat with my wife etc and/or do some other little jobs. Time taken to boil a kettle is not wasted.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023

Property here on Studley Royal was originally an outbuilding

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/133958081#/media?channel=RES_BUY&id=media1&ref=photoCollage

Up for £8M
  • Options

Got to be the engine shed in Thomas the Tank Engine at no. 1?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Which bit is racist.

Not what my dictionary says. "racial or ethnic grouping". Which of those is being or not being British?
    Stop sealioning, you old racist.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

A freezer is taking the heat out of a very small and highly self-contained system, not opening the window and trying to shag the night to heat a whole house in the middle of Winter.

And it takes a decent amount of energy to do it.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

Surely it has to be turning points? In which case, the battle of Kursk/ Prokhorovka ?
    Battle of Hastings (wherever that site is).
    Trafalgar or Borodino?
    Lake Poyang?
    Battle of Saratoga?
    Gibbon on the battle of Poitiers, 733. Overegged and overquoted but fun:

Had the Muslims won at Poitiers, the Arabian fleet might have sailed without a naval combat into the mouth of the Thames. Perhaps the interpretation of the Koran would now be taught in the schools of Oxford, and her pulpits might demonstrate to a circumcised people the sanctity and truth of the revelation of Mahomet.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

Verdun.

Crikey 😶
    Is this interpretation the whole story? I though I had read that Falkenhayne produced this version of his plan after the battle?
    May well be. I've only read those chapters that cover it, albeit from different books. It's a very useful anecdote - too good to check (see also beer and diapers) - but it may very well be the product of one sides worldview (see also the "clean Wehrmacht" view pre-90s).
  • Options

That is what a kettle is for. They even come with markings up the side - 1 cup, 2 cups, 3 cups, etc...
    Once you are used them, boiling taps are quicker and easier. No filling kettle etc. just press the button until you have the amount of boiling water you need.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Which bit is racist.

So which racial or ethnic group is "British"?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    This is depressing:

• Options

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

Show me the evidence Norwegians are enjoying nice-hot baths in the depths of Winter using just heat pumps please.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,005
    Selebian said:

Got to be the engine shed in Thomas the Tank Engine at no. 1?
    Dura's mancave at 2.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Which bit is racist.

Dunno. Look it up in your BNP handbook.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,706

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

Heat pumps move heat from outside the home to inside the home. Because they move it and don't generate it the heat is naturally limiting. In other words, there's a limit to how much kJ of energy it can pump, given the ambient air temperature, and the lower the outside temperature the lower that will be. Further, it will tend to "leach" out again unless the heat insulation is very good. That's air to air. If you do air to water then you might get some heat into the radiators but not a lot and converting it into hot water - for a decent bath - is also going to be very disappointing unless you immersion heat it with electricity on top.

Do you not trust fridges, freezers and air conditioning units then to do their job either then? if not why not?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Eabhal said:

This is depressing:

It is. What idiot does a categorical bar chart and only labels half the bars? :cry:

ETA: Hang on, what happened there - it's changed now!
    ETA2: This is what I saw:

ETA3: One of those odd graphs where the per 100k people is not the right choice as prevalence is now high enough to express it in %. Maybe started some time ago when it was <1000/100k?
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

Show me the evidence Norwegians are enjoying nice-hot baths in the depths of Winter using just heat pumps please.
    3 heat pumps per 10 Norwegians strongly suggsts that they are saving a lot of other energy even if they need a little leccy to top it up to have a bath hot enough to boil your particular bits to your satisfaction.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

HYUFD said:

I could see Sunak running a Labour Green Tax Bombshell campaign. Cynical as hell but I am not surprised by anything the Tories do anymore.
    and yet I nore Sir Tony of Basra is running a couple of outrider green issues to help SKS reverse his position asap.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/07/27/spare-public-huge-burden-of-net-zero-says-tony-blair/

https://www.agcc.co.uk/news-article/blair-says-uks-net-zero-efforts-cannot-solve-global-warming-alone

added to Starmers filleting of Khan Labours green commitments are hardly solid
  • Options

Leon said:

Battle is no great shakes, TBH, although the Abbey is worth a look if you're in the area. However, you won't find anything evocative of the battle itself - in fact, historians are unsure about exactly where it was, except that most of them agree that it wasn't at Battle.
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Top of my head:

What city is that, please?

To my mind Plymouth & Devonport (including especially the dockyard), and Portsmouth, show the bomb damage a lot more than London where it is spread out. Or they used to. Perhaps more recent urban building has changed that. Exeter too (as Leon remarked as well the other day).

But it can still surprise. Mum's cousin lived in an Orpington cul de sac. I had been there many timwes and it was only when clearing up after her demise that I suddenly realised the implications of the pattern of original roofs ... new flat roofs ... and a different house in the street. And somehwerre in SE London or Kent there is at least one neat round pond left by a V-2, and a wood where scraps of a V-1 still lie.
    There is obvious war damage on the back of the British museum. On the BBC at Portland Place. On UCH and UCL. You just need to get an eye for it - the spray of pock marks from the shrapnel, the odd patched squares of wrongly coloured stone where someone has tried to fill it in

It’s quite evocative when you recognise it. Suddenly you can hear the bombs and the screams

• Options
    Selebian said:

Eabhal said:

This is depressing:

It is. What idiot does a categorical bar chart and only labels half the bars? :cry:

ETA: Hang on, what happened there - it's changed now!
    I realised my error and used a different screenshot!
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

This is depressing:

The UK's market for heat pumps grew by about 40% in 2022, but from a very low base, with only 1.9 heat pumps installed for every 1,000 households last year, compared with 20 for every 1,000 households in France, and nearly 70 in Finland.

But, they’re living awful squalid lives, with their mixer taps and cold baths.
  • Options

Once you are used them, boiling taps are quicker and easier. No filling kettle etc. just press the button until you have the amount of boiling water you need.
    No. It;'s a fad surely. The answer: drinking water: living in most of Northern England/Scotland solves it usually. Boiling water: kettle. When broken buy a new one.

• Options
    Eabhal said:

This is depressing:

Yes, those poor Norwegians :cry:

Someone needs to send CR over to tell them that their heat pumps aren't working.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Which bit is racist.

You are accusing me of something you can't even define. Not very rigorous of you, now, is it.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

No. It;'s a fad surely. The answer: drinking water: living in most of Northern England/Scotland solves it usually. Boiling water: kettle. When broken buy a new one.

Dishwashers were a fad once
  • Options

Eabhal said:

This is depressing:

Yes, those poor Norwegians :cry:

Someone needs to send CR over to tell them that their heat pumps aren't working.
    Drinking Bathing in the koolaid water
  • Options

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

Are you trolling deliberately? Because at this point this the only reasonable conclusion one can reach.

All heat leaches out of homes. It’s what happens to heat! It moves from a hot place to an adjacent cold place. It doesn’t matter what your heat source is: The only question is whether you can inject enough heat into the system to balance losses at your desired temperature (plus a bit extra so you can heat the pace up a bit more quickly from cold if necessary).

Heat pumps have their advantages & disadvantages but this knee jerk “they’ll never work in good old Blighty” attitude is just ridiculous reactionary nonsense. It’s like some kind of inverse wokeness - whatever the “woke” like must be bad, regardless of reality.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Which bit is racist.

You are accusing me of something you can't even define. Not very rigorous of you, now, is it.
    When you’re ready to apologise for your bigotry, I’m ready to listen. TTFN.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,706

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

It is ok @Gardenwalker you don't have to lose faith in the pb crowd. We didn't conclude what Casino says we concluded at all. Only Casino did. And yes we spent ages on how heat pumps work well in cold climates together with maps of where they are used extensively including Norway and Sweden and that you can have a hot bath via a heat pump. Casino will only agree with that once he has had a hot bath at a neighbours house, which presumably hasn't happened yet.
  • Options
    The Cu Chi tunnels in Vietnam are grimly fascinating. Barely enough room to lie flat and drag yourself along, in places

And they’d be down there fighting for weeks
  • Options
    Phil said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Ratters said:

Are you trolling deliberately? Because at this point this the only reasonable conclusion one can reach.

All heat leaches out of homes. It’s what happens to heat! It moves from a hot place to an adjacent cold place. It doesn’t matter what your heat source is: The only question is whether you can inject enough heat into the system to balance losses at your desired temperature (plus a bit extra so you can heat the pace up a bit more quickly from cold if necessary).

Heat pumps have their advantages & disadvantages but this knee jerk “they’ll never work in good old Blighty” attitude is just ridiculous reactionary nonsense. It’s like some kind of inverse wokeness - whatever the “woke” like must be bad, regardless of reality.
    It’s as bad as venison, in my book.
This discussion has been closed.