Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Nadine’s going to have to put up with more Tweets like this – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Should Stokes always bat at 3?

I would say so when Pope is not available. But Pope looks to have a lot of potential in that position.
    45.25 is a decent average at first drop. Who was the last regular No. 3 to average more than that for England? Jonathan Trott, I think, by a fraction.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_positionmax1=3;batting_positionmin1=3;batting_positionval1=batting_position;class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_average;team=1;template=results;type=batting
    Trott was a fine batsman but I'm not sure how he would have coped with Bazball. Pope is more flexible.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,362
    edited July 2023
    DavidL said:

24 overs in the session is absolutely ridiculous. Something serious has to be done about this over rate. They've even had a few from their spinner.

Blast out FFDP anytime the over rate starts to slow? That will have them shifting.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    edited July 2023

On a train.

A twat was playing some shitty drum and base on his phone. No headphones.

I experimented, using a USB speaker my daughter had. He doesn’t like thrash remixes of Five Finger Death Punch.

If he starts again, I have extensive list of Finnish bootlegs of minor bands to go through….

Playing the later works of FFDP must be a war crime under the Geneva Convention....
    He actually tried again.

Apparently he doesn’t like a doom metal remix of Valhalla Rising either.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866

Sandpit said:

Completely off topic, but commendable:

The Oakland NAACP does something brave — and wise:

"OAKLAND, Calif. – The Oakland NAACP has called on city leaders to declare a state of emergency due to rising crime, calling the situation a “crisis,” and has urged residents across the city to speak out against it.

The group, alongside Bishop Bob Jackson of the Acts Full Gospel Church, issued the statement on Thursday, blasting both city and county officials, as well as social justice movements."
    source: https://www.ktvu.com/news/oakland-naacp-blasts-local-leaders-calls-for-state-of-emergency-due-to-crime

Ever since I worked in a slum school on the west side of Chicago more than 50 years ago, I have known that most of the victims of black criminals are also black*. And that crime often causes poverty. But those are things you won’t hear said by the leftists on Martha’s Vineyard.

(*That is true of other groups. According to reports I’ve seen, most of Bernie Madoff’s victims were other Jews. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the Mafia mostly vitimizes Italians. And so on.)

Cross posted at Patterico's Pontifications.

And of course particularly with things like high retail crime, shops will just close, with means few jobs in those neighbours, which means more poverty, which means more crime, rinse and repeat. And we are already seeing it as the likes of Walmart exits completely from some cities.

The laws put in place whereby steal less than $800-1000 bucks from a store and it is effectively a parking ticket has to be some of the most stupid laws ever thought up....and of course employees are not to try and stop this, otherwise they get sacked and the police, well they have been defunded and told they are all racist, so ain't going to rush there to issue the citation.
    Guess what happens when you defund the police, and elect useless state prosecutors who think it’s racist to charge people with theft?

Commendable indeed from the NAACP, who see how things are on the streets, rather than how wealthy policymakers think they should be.
    And this cancer has spread outside of the traditional high crime areas / cities. Portland, was always a bit weird and wacky place, but safe and prosperous. Now downtown is like a scene from the Walking Day, and whenever the far left (and less so the far right) turn up and smash the place up, the moronic Mayor and local prosecutors, don't want to charge people because whatever -ist and historic oppression you want to choose.

So businesses are just shutting up shop.
    Perhaps if the police could stop standing on the necks of people they arrest for petty crime, politicians might be more in favour of arrests for petty crime.

Incompetently administered capital punishment in the street looks bad.
    In Portland they haven't been charging people for much more serious crimes than shoplifting.

And of course the police officers responsible for administering capital punishment were correctly jailed. Despite the often touted claims that any young black unarmed man might get murdered by the police, the figures don't hold up. The numbers of individuals killed by the police is very high compared to say the UK, but it is armed criminals....lead to heavily armed police...lead to many more situations where its life and death decisions. And with the introduction of bodycams, police can't get away with anywhere near as much dodgy stuff as perhaps they did before.

The issue of shoplifting not really being properly enforced has been on the books in some cities from before George Floyd and was causing trouble with organised gangs. But the word spreads and now it is a total disaster in quite a few US cities.
    Shoplifting is becoming a huge problem here too where it is unconnected with America's bizarre racial politics. Just this week the Co-op warned it might have to pull out of some areas.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66323140
    Yes I saw that report. Its also fairly common to smash and grab things like mobiles. But we aren't anywhere near the level of some of these US cities, where it was organised gangs who would hit a store, now its just every hour of every day, people come in and walk out with stuff, such they are putting chains across frozen cabinets to stop people just helping themselves to a tub of ice cream.

The UK, particularly London, has a bit issue with phone muggings and moped thefts (to be used in phone muggings and smash and grab).
    We have an epidemic of people driving their vehicles into buildings, however.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    ydoethur said:

Fewer than 50 overs in two sessions is pathetic.

They are descended from Cockney jailbirds. Somdomites, loaf-stealers, letterless Catholic Irish and denizens of the rookeries. The literal scum of the earth

We should, I am afraid, expect no better
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Should Stokes always bat at 3?

I would say so when Pope is not available. But Pope looks to have a lot of potential in that position.
    45.25 is a decent average at first drop. Who was the last regular No. 3 to average more than that for England? Jonathan Trott, I think, by a fraction.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_positionmax1=3;batting_positionmin1=3;batting_positionval1=batting_position;class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_average;team=1;template=results;type=batting
    That is surprising, I would have guessed Bell then Trott.
    Bell didn't have a great record at first drop - only 38. He scored better at 5.

I had overlooked Gary Ballance, who averaged 46.
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

They are descended from Cockney jailbirds. Somdomites, loaf-stealers, letterless Catholic Irish and denizens of the rookeries. The literal scum of the earth

Unfortunately *we are* no better.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Trade unionists are scum of the earth?
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Are you honestly claiming they are NOT?!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Sandpit said:

"OAKLAND, Calif. – The Oakland NAACP has called on city leaders to declare a state of emergency due to rising crime, calling the situation a “crisis,” and has urged residents across the city to speak out against it.

The group, alongside Bishop Bob Jackson of the Acts Full Gospel Church, issued the statement on Thursday, blasting both city and county officials, as well as social justice movements."
    source: https://www.ktvu.com/news/oakland-naacp-blasts-local-leaders-calls-for-state-of-emergency-due-to-crime

Ever since I worked in a slum school on the west side of Chicago more than 50 years ago, I have known that most of the victims of black criminals are also black*. And that crime often causes poverty. But those are things you won’t hear said by the leftists on Martha’s Vineyard.

(*That is true of other groups. According to reports I’ve seen, most of Bernie Madoff’s victims were other Jews. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the Mafia mostly vitimizes Italians. And so on.)

And of course particularly with things like high retail crime, shops will just close, with means few jobs in those neighbours, which means more poverty, which means more crime, rinse and repeat. And we are already seeing it as the likes of Walmart exits completely from some cities.

The laws put in place whereby steal less than $800-1000 bucks from a store and it is effectively a parking ticket has to be some of the most stupid laws ever thought up....and of course employees are not to try and stop this, otherwise they get sacked and the police, well they have been defunded and told they are all racist, so ain't going to rush there to issue the citation.
    Guess what happens when you defund the police, and elect useless state prosecutors who think it’s racist to charge people with theft?

Commendable indeed from the NAACP, who see how things are on the streets, rather than how wealthy policymakers think they should be.
    And this cancer has spread outside of the traditional high crime areas / cities. Portland, was always a bit weird and wacky place, but safe and prosperous. Now downtown is like a scene from the Walking Day, and whenever the far left (and less so the far right) turn up and smash the place up, the moronic Mayor and local prosecutors, don't want to charge people because whatever -ist and historic oppression you want to choose.

Perhaps if the police could stop standing on the necks of people they arrest for petty crime, politicians might be more in favour of arrests for petty crime.

In Portland they haven't been charging people for much more serious crimes than shoplifting.

And of course the police officers responsible for administering capital punishment were correctly jailed. Despite the often touted claims that any young black unarmed man might get murdered by the police, the figures don't hold up. The numbers of individuals killed by the police is very high compared to say the UK, but it is armed criminals....lead to heavily armed police...lead to many more situations where its life and death decisions. And with the introduction of bodycams, police can't get away with anywhere near as much dodgy stuff as perhaps they did before.

The issue of shoplifting not really being properly enforced has been on the books in some cities from before George Floyd and was causing trouble with organised gangs. But the word spreads and now it is a total disaster in quite a few US cities.
    Shoplifting is becoming a huge problem here too where it is unconnected with America's bizarre racial politics. Just this week the Co-op warned it might have to pull out of some areas.
    The reason that the police are doing nothing about shop lifting is related - they see little upside in arresting Da Yuth, a chance of being stabbed, a claim of racism and released on bail as a cherry on the pie.

Bit like not cracking down on the patently illegal electric bikes or the building sites which are visibly breaking the law.
    What could the police do about shoplifting? Uniform aren't there and CID are not going to spend days going through cctv searching for two miscreants who stole goods worth, what, a couple of hundred quid. At best police might mount a special operation, flooding an area for a couple of weeks but then the money will run out or the mayor of the next town over will call.

It may be the shops will need to organise something themselves, from more security guards, through shared intelligence, all the way through to prosecutions, as betting shops had to do.
    Or people on tills, and don't rely on an honour system of payment. I know this is a revolutionary concept from the future but it might just work.
    Or indeed go back to the traditional method of shopkeeper behind the counter, handing over stuff when you ask for it...
  • PeckPeck Posts: 517
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

Something odd going on on X / Twitter. If you're not logged in it's showing tweets, but only old ones.

I think it's accessing cached versions. For example, https://www.twitter.com/thisismadeupsodontclickit if accessed today will give a selection of tweets from 2022 or 2021. To attempt to access, instead use the mirror https://nitter.net/thisismadeupsodontclickit/with_replies .Other nitters are available

As social media slowly dies and information gets locked behind paywalls, accessing things will become more and more difficult. Workarounds are available but getting sparser. #badworld
    Dunno how you define social media, but according to how it's defined here the average number of minutes an internet user spends using social media every day has been increasing since 2012, except for a flat period in 2019-21. The figure they give for 2023 is 151 minutes/day.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/433871/daily-social-media-usage-worldwide/

The typical internet user is totally passive and doesn't look for a workaround. That would be more than their life was worth.

Agreed that accessing lots of stuff without paying will become more difficult, just as it has done and will continue to do offline. (E.g. bags for my kitchen bin.) Essentially mass internet use has been a huge bait and switch operation. Get 'em hooked.

Maybe the blackboard bold X used for ex-Twitter and the wave symbol used for Neuralink will be unified into a single symbol. If Musk or his backers really wanted to take the piss, they could further unify it with the extinction rune. (People may think this is a joke, but the Musk character has a history of taking the piss big-time.)
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

The reason that the police are doing nothing about shop lifting is related - they see little upside in arresting Da Yuth, a chance of being stabbed, a claim of racism and released on bail as a cherry on the pie.

Bit like not cracking down on the patently illegal electric bikes or the building sites which are visibly breaking the law.
    What could the police do about shoplifting? Uniform aren't there and CID are not going to spend days going through cctv searching for two miscreants who stole goods worth, what, a couple of hundred quid. At best police might mount a special operation, flooding an area for a couple of weeks but then the money will run out or the mayor of the next town over will call.

It may be the shops will need to organise something themselves, from more security guards, through shared intelligence, all the way through to prosecutions, as betting shops had to do.
    Or people on tills, and don't rely on an honour system of payment. I know this is a revolutionary concept from the future but it might just work.
    Or indeed go back to the traditional method of shopkeeper behind the counter, handing over stuff when you ask for it...
    Fork-handles....
    edited July 2023
    130 odd in both sessions off less than 25 overs in each. That's how fast England can take the game away. If they bat all day, you are facing a very big total.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    Scoring rates are up in test cricket, but over rates are down. So the number of runs in a day isn't that much higher than it used to be. It used to be common to get 95 overs in a day's play.
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Are you honestly claiming they are NOT?!
    Oh, yes.

Been to Dorset and seen the courtroom where the poor chaps from Tolpuddle got their free one way tickets for doing exactly what the farmer employers were doing, i.e. "combining".
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    edited July 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Scoring rates are up in test cricket, but over rates are down. So the number of runs in a day isn't that much higher than it used to be. It used to be common to get 95 overs in a day's play.

The number of boundaries scored must have an effect though. A natural negative feedback. It takes longer to gather up a ball from the boundary rope (or indeed the outfield after free conceding 2) and restart play than for mid on or the keeper to gather it up and sling back to the bowler. Even longer if it’s a 6.
    Andy_JS said:

Don Bradman, 309 in a day in 1930, must have included around 110 overs. Bradman alone had faced 66 overs.
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Amazon are trialing a version of their automated stores, where access is via a security door system. So you can’t just jump the barrier.

Since you need to sign in with your Amazon account to get in the store, shop lifting becomes rather difficult.

Entirely unsurprisingly, there has been pushback against this in the US

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Amazon are trialing a version of their automated stores, where access is via a security door system. So you can’t just jump the barrier.

Since you need to sign in with your Amazon account to get in the store, shop lifting becomes rather difficult.

Entirely unsurprisingly, there has been pushback against this in the US
    Just wondering how long it will be before there are robots with Tasers on each aisle. Probably clinging to the ceiling like spiders.
    We should aim to race to a 300 lead then bowl at them for 45 minutes in fading light… given the forecast?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    On topic.

You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. In the name of God, go Nads.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    Leon said:

I believe I am the first person to watch Live Cricket, in Chernivtsi, Chernivtsi Oblast, Bukovina, west Ukraine

Certainly the first person to do it when Ukraine is AT WAR

Assuming the nearest point on the front to Chernivtsi is (the other side of the river of) Kherson town, you are between 400 and 600km from the front. Approximately the same distance between Edinburgh and London.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    edited July 2023
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

The worst neighbourhoods in Philadelphia never got rid of it. Bulletproof too.

viewcode said:

Leon said:

I believe I am the first person to watch Live Cricket, in Chernivtsi, Chernivtsi Oblast, Bukovina, west Ukraine

Assuming the nearest point on the front to Chernivtsi is (the other side of the river of) Kherson town, you are between 400 and 600km from the front. Approximately the same distance between Edinburgh and London.
    Missiles, mate, MISSILES
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    Also off topic, but relevant to bettors on American politics: Here is Aaron Blake's latest ranking of the top ten Republican presidential candidates:

10. Asa Hutchinson
    9. Doug Burnum
    8. Vivek Ramaswamy
    7. Chris Christie
    6. Mike Pence
    5. Glenn Youngkin (Virginia governor, undeclared candidate)
    4. Nikki Haley
    3. Tim Scott
    2. Ron DeSantis
    1. The Loser (as I call him)

No odds are given, but this ranking might help those thinking a long shot might be good value.

source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/07/29/top-10-republican-presidential-candidates-2024-ranked/

(For the record: I think five of those ten might make good presidents.)
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Missiles, mate, MISSILES
    For Mad Nad? Seems a bit over the top.
    carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

People on tills just get assaulted,

Some years ago a chap I knew came down in the world and ended up living on estate for a bit.

The local corner shop was being shop lifted from on a daily basis. A customer noticed this and advised the shop owner -

1) to join his (the customers) social club for a moderate monthly fee.
    2) never go to said social club

The shop keeper did so. The local druggies were somewhat… hurt, initially. But they got the message in the end.

Community restorative justice, they call it in Northern Ireland.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Otherwise known as the Glaswegian off-licence.
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Missiles, mate, MISSILES
    For Mad Nad? Seems a bit over the top.
    She drones on for ever though.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Grid-squatting in the rain at Spa, what a surprise.

Shame they postponed it for half an hour, and missed the small window of good weather as a result. Idiots.
    Bairstow needs to speed up again
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,867

Also off topic, but relevant to bettors on American politics: Here is Aaron Blake's latest ranking of the top ten Republican presidential candidates:

10. Asa Hutchinson
    9. Doug Burnum
    8. Vivek Ramaswamy
    7. Chris Christie
    6. Mike Pence
    5. Glenn Youngkin (Virginia governor, undeclared candidate)
    4. Nikki Haley
    3. Tim Scott
    2. Ron DeSantis
    1. The Loser (as I call him)

No odds are given, but this ranking might help those thinking a long shot might be good value.

source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/07/29/top-10-republican-presidential-candidates-2024-ranked/

(For the record: I think five of those ten might make good presidents.)

I'd put Chris Christie above Mike Pence and maybe 2 or 3 more as well.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1 is at the cutting edge of innovation, as proven by the new way they've found to making the sprint 'race' fucking tedious.

I especially like the way they hide the live text feed on the official website behind the F1 'Unlocked' bullshit, so if you want to keep up to date on the next start time that way, you can't. Unless you sign up.
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    K record run chase now required. Put another 100 on and declare.

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Some years ago a chap I knew came down in the world and ended up living on estate for a bit.

The local corner shop was being shop lifted from on a daily basis. A customer noticed this and advised the shop owner -

The shop keeper did so. The local druggies were somewhat… hurt, initially. But they got the message in the end.

Did the Social Club make them an offer they couldn't refuse?

It doesn't sound much different.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544

On a train.

A twat was playing some shitty drum and base on his phone. No headphones.

I experimented, using a USB speaker my daughter had. He doesn’t like thrash remixes of Five Finger Death Punch.

If he starts again, I have extensive list of Finnish bootlegs of minor bands to go through….

Tsk drum and BASS.
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Missiles, mate, MISSILES
    Perhaps this will help (incidentally, the Ukranian counterattack south of Orkhiv has begun to bear fruit, having pushed the front south by about 25km. At that rate it'll reach the coast by mid-2024. Hopefully it'll speed up)

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

I rather unfortunately lived on a very rough estate for a while, the sort of place the police don't visit without serious backup. When you went into the local Chinese there was always a massive guy with a machete always hanging around the counter.....i am sure he would say for chopping the vegatables. One day some people tried to rob the place, but had an unfortunate accident where they slipped and their arms fell into the deep fat fryer....how careless of them.
    Leon said:

We should aim to race to a 300 lead then bowl at them for 45 minutes in fading light… given the forecast?

Off now (have finished my tax sums) but off topic, you might like this.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/jul/29/like-eating-battery-acid-british-tongues-on-fire-as-sales-of-hot-sauce-soar
    Much more defensive fields but England have slowed more than a touch since tea. Maybe thinking they need more?
    DavidL said:

Much more defensive fields but England have slowed more than a touch since tea. Maybe thinking they need more?

This Aussie side will fancy their chances at anything under 350 if the weather holds.

But if they're not able to chase it, they'll find it easy enough to bat for the draw.

Stokes has a fine judgement to make.
    DavidL said:

The weather forecast is looking somewhat drier than previously. So in theory that should call for a more leisurely approach.
    edited July 2023
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

This Aussie side will fancy their chances at anything under 350 if the weather holds.

But if they're not able to chase it, they'll find it easy enough to bat for the draw.

If you set somebody 350 in the 4th in innings and they chase it down, i think you juat have to say well played ...it really doesn't happen that often.
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Time for the batsmen to start walking heavily up and down the crease with their studs, and running on the wicket.
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Perhaps in Waitrose stores in the Zone Alpha towns that all got gated in 2026.

Elsewhere, just check ID at the door.

Wait...there's an epidemic of desperate people acting in concert. One of them enters on their real ID, grabs stuff, vaults the barrier to get out, and shares the stuff around the corner with his (often her) friends. The police can't arrest them because they don't know where they live. (Feed the line to certain audiences that this is something to do with race, woke, single mothers, or not flogging offenders like they do in Singapore.) The ID gets banned, but then somebody else in the group takes over as the person who enters and grabs. OMG what are we going to do? Easy solution: chip almost everyone and track them 24/7. That's what happened in 2028. Shoplifting's a thing of the past now.

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

I rather unfortunately lived on a very rough estate for a while, the sort of place the police don't visit without serious backup. When you went into the local Chinese there was always a massive guy with a machete always hanging around the counter.....i am sure he would say for chopping the vegatables. One day some people tried to rob the place, but had an unfortunate accident where they slipped and their arms fell into the deep fat fryer....how careless of them.
    A while back I told the story of a hedge fund guy who moved out in the sticks, and found the police uninterested in local petty crime. So he hired a security company, and got them to patrol. Not just his house, but the whole village.

Some here were horrified by this. I thought that it is the logician consequence of the withdrawal of the protection of the State. To me, the social contract is two way. We give up the Law of Hot Trod, they provide security. If the state chose to withdraw security, then DIY is the automatic response.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    F1: Apparently it'll start at 4.35pm. We shall see.
    edited July 2023
    Getting customers to do the job of scanning items and putting them in a bag is a very clever wheeze by shops. Must save them a lot of money. It worked because it seemed such a radical idea when it first came in, and customers couldn't believe they were being trusted to scan items themselves, which made them feel happy for a while. It's only later that you realise you're doing a job that someone else used to do.
    Peck said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Wait...there's an epidemic of desperate people acting in concert. One of them enters on their real ID, grabs stuff, vaults the barrier to get out, and shares the stuff around the corner with his (often her) friends. The police can't arrest them because they don't know where they live. (Feed the line to certain audiences that this is something to do with race, woke, single mothers, or not flogging offenders like they do in Singapore.) The ID gets banned, but then somebody else in the group takes over as the person who enters and grabs. OMG what are we going to do? Easy solution: chip almost everyone and track them 24/7. That's what happened in 2028. Shoplifting's a thing of the past now.

Simpler. Secure door entry on all shops. Facial recognition. If you ever been filmed shop lifting in any store in the network, no entry to any participating store. Ever again.
    edited July 2023
    People can't even streak properly these days .....what is the world coming to.
    Andy_JS said:

Getting customers to do the job of scanning items and putting them in a bag is a very clever wheeze by shops. Must save them a lot of money. It worked because it seemed such a radical idea when it first came in, and customers couldn't believe they were being trusted to scan items themselves, which made them feel happy for a while. It's only later that you realise you're doing a job that someone else used to do.

The version beyond that is that you simply put what you want in a bag. The store automatically charges you for everything you leave with. See Amazon Fresh.

In times past, controlling an elevator was a job.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135

TimS said:

Sandpit said:

Yes I saw that report. Its also fairly common to smash and grab things like mobiles. But we aren't anywhere near the level of some of these US cities, where it was organised gangs who would hit a store, now its just every hour of every day, people come in and walk out with stuff, such they are putting chains across frozen cabinets to stop people just helping themselves to a tub of ice cream.

The UK, particularly London, has a bit issue with phone muggings and moped thefts (to be used in phone muggings and smash and grab).
    I gather that sort of shoplifting, walk in, empty one section, walk out, has spread here, probably via TikTok or other social media uploading American thefts which become instructional videos for our lot.

On mobile phones and smash and grab, perhaps there should be a new offence of going equipped, that is being in a small group of moped riders with balaclavas and no number plates.
    If I was Starmer I would be going big on making tackling this sort of crime a priority to seal the deal with the electorate. Also way more people care about that sort of thing than what is a woman stuff.
    Absolutely, it’s something the left, right and centre can all agree on. Police not bothering to investigate and prosecute thefts (usually because of resource constraints, sometimes incompetence) is something that affects rich and poor, rural and urban, north and south.
    Amazon are trialling full height, double security door systems on their Amazon Fresh stores. So you can’t just jump the turnstile.

Apparently this is “exclusionary”.
    They want to run a shop with minimal staff and get the police to provide the missing resource.
    edited July 2023

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

A while back I told the story of a hedge fund guy who moved out in the sticks, and found the police uninterested in local petty crime. So he hired a security company, and got them to patrol. Not just his house, but the whole village.

Some here were horrified by this. I thought that it is the logician consequence of the withdrawal of the protection of the State. To me, the social contract is two way. We give up the Law of Hot Trod, they provide security. If the state chose to withdraw security, then DIY is the automatic response.
    Another reason why law and order is an open goal for Labour. If they don’t run on it they really are stupid.

Unites the blue and red walls, remainers and leavers. Done right - rule of law, community policing, supporting victims - it appeals to both liberals and authoritarians.

And it’s a very clear illustration of the starving of public services and infrastructure. The other three are NHS waiting lists, sewage outflows and the woeful tale of HS2 and NPR. But the NHS is a given for Labour, the Lib Dems own the sewage issue, and HS2/NPR are too divisive.
    edited July 2023

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Law of Hot Trod: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_law_(Anglo-Scottish_border)#:~:text=An alternative was to instigate,the border in doing so.
  • Andy_JS said:

On the plus side, you don't have to stand in a queue, unload all your stuff onto a belt, wait for it it be scanned and then repack your stuff. Self scanning is far quicker and much less hassle.

Peck said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Simpler. Secure door entry on all shops. Facial recognition. If you ever been filmed shop lifting in any store in the network, no entry to any participating store. Ever again.
    Yes - that's the kind of thing I think will happen first. It's a kind of ID check.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544
    Andy_JS said:

One minute, businesses are being a told off for just adding low wage staff. The next, they're being told off for automating and re-engineering things to increase productivity.

TimS said:

Sandpit said:

I gather that sort of shoplifting, walk in, empty one section, walk out, has spread here, probably via TikTok or other social media uploading American thefts which become instructional videos for our lot.

On mobile phones and smash and grab, perhaps there should be a new offence of going equipped, that is being in a small group of moped riders with balaclavas and no number plates.
    If I was Starmer I would be going big on making tackling this sort of crime a priority to seal the deal with the electorate. Also way more people care about that sort of thing than what is a woman stuff.
    Absolutely, it’s something the left, right and centre can all agree on. Police not bothering to investigate and prosecute thefts (usually because of resource constraints, sometimes incompetence) is something that affects rich and poor, rural and urban, north and south.
    Amazon are trialling full height, double security door systems on their Amazon Fresh stores. So you can’t just jump the turnstile.

Apparently this is “exclusionary”.
    They want to run a shop with minimal staff and get the police to provide the missing resource.
    No - they are making shop lifting much much harder.

You literally can’t get into such stores without a valid Amazon account. Anything you take is automatically charged to that account.

Extra staff doesn’t stop shop lifting.
    If Australia don't get Bairstow shortly, I think he will smash England past 350 in no time.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Missiles, mate, MISSILES
    Perhaps this will help (incidentally, the Ukranian counterattack south of Orkhiv has begun to bear fruit, having pushed the front south by about 25km. At that rate it'll reach the coast by mid-2024. Hopefully it'll speed up)
    Hopefully. Even non expects can tell that sometimes in war things barely move an inch for years, or hundreds of km can be lost in days and weeks. If slow but incremental progress is the best that can be done, that is still better than many alterantives!
    AaaaaaRgh. VPN down

Fuck

UKRAINE ISOLATED FROM CRICKET
    Leon said:

AaaaaaRgh. VPN down

Fuck

I feel sure PB can keep you updated on its progress.
    Leon said:

AaaaaaRgh. VPN down

Fuck

Russian jamming after their trolls reported back on PB posting. Missiles on the way.
    There have been many atrocious moments in this atrocious war. But this is up there with Bucha

I’ve just ordered another wheat-beer and my ashes cricket coverage is DOWN

War? Let me tell you about WAR

I am now FORCED to walk down this street in search of a different wifi network

THAT, my friends, is WAR

Andy_JS said:

One minute, businesses are being a told off for just adding low wage staff. The next, they're being told off for automating and re-engineering things to increase productivity.
    In this case, staff doesn’t help. A shop that told its staff to physically stop shop lifters would be sued out of existence in much of the Western World.

Since that is no longer an option, it falls to the police. Who aren’t interested.

So if follows that automating access to the shops is the next step.

A few years from now the story in the Guardian will be Shop Exclusion - people excluded from every retail chain, across the country, because they stole a packet of crisps, once.
    *thousand yard stare*
    edited July 2023
    Andy_JS said:

👍 Nice to know another person gets aggravated by this. They'll probably want us to help them stack shelves next. I used to go to manned checkouts wherever possible. I even tried to converse with staff in a friendly way, saying I didn't want to help put them out of a job. But after hearing from so many staff that the company doesn't make any money out of replacing manned checkouts with self-checkouts and in reality it loses money, because it has to buy the equipment, all "explained" to me as if I were an imbecile, I gave up. Anyone who had that level of stupidity, of ignorance about the capital-to-labour relationship - labour being a cost, and stuff like that - would have been considered the village idiot a few decades ago. Now it's the norm.
    Leon said:

There have been many atrocious moments in this atrocious war. But this is up there with Bucha

THAT, my friends, is WAR

You'll be gutted. The UFO landing in the middle of the pitch, crewed by AI man bots that looked like Joe Biden and carrying hard proof of the lab leak theory is going to go down as one of the great Ashes moments.
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Missiles, mate, MISSILES
    Hopefully. Even non expects can tell that sometimes in war things barely move an inch for years, or hundreds of km can be lost in days and weeks. If slow but incremental progress is the best that can be done, that is still better than many alterantives!
    It’s also happened in this war - sudden progress, after apparent stalemate.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,139
    Andy_JS said:

Much of the ealry industrial revolution in textiles replaced men by machines - it impoverished handloom weavers for example but provided lots of new jobs and cheaper goods in the relatively short-term. Since the customer in the store puts the stuiff in the trolley any way...why not scan as well?
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Missiles, mate, MISSILES
    The Western Front in World War I springs to mind.

Until March 1918, pretty much static for three and a half years.

After March 1918, all over bar the shouting in six months.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

THAT, my friends, is WAR

You'll be gutted. The UFO landing in the middle of the pitch, crewed by AI man bots that looked like Joe Biden and carrying hard proof of the lab leak theory is going to go down as one of the great Ashes moments.
    It was Fauci streaking across the pitch pursued by a diseased bat that was the highlight for me.
    boulay said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

THAT, my friends, is WAR

It was Fauci streaking across the pitch pursued by a diseased bat that was the highlight for me.
    Streaking is no longer significant. It is only mentioned at the end of de nudes.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Missiles, mate, MISSILES
    Grinding away with artillery, and infantry clearing trenches, with fairly minimal air involvement or mass use of combined arms is rather 1917. Apparently 70% of Ukr casualties are from artillery fire.
    Remarkable stat just shared on espncricinfo. England have only batted for 12 more overs than Australia in this match, but lead by 305.
    TimS said:

Remarkable stat just shared on espncricinfo. England have only batted for 12 more overs than Australia in this match, but lead by 305.

It is quite amazing. There are the downsides of bowlers getting less rest if you get out more quickly, and technically there's a lot more time for opponents to get even big scores, but the benefits of more time to bowl people out yourself or to chase down big totals makes it worth it.
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Missiles, mate, MISSILES
    Grinding away with artillery, and infantry clearing trenches, with fairly minimal air involvement or mass use of combined arms is rather 1917. Apparently 70% of Ukr casualties are from artillery fire.
    Main difference being neither side able to starve the other through naval blockades.
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Missiles, mate, MISSILES
    Main difference being neither side able to starve the other through naval blockades.
    Although Russia may starve much of the rest of the planet as a secondary objective.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,091

Andy_JS said:

On the plus side, you don't have to stand in a queue, unload all your stuff onto a belt, wait for it it be scanned and then repack your stuff. Self scanning is far quicker and much less hassle.
    Yes, especially in smaller stores where you might only be buying half a dozen items. I used to almost never use my local coop because there was a guaranteed queue for the two or three open checkouts. Now they have self-service machines I use it all the time, because there are a dozen machines and I almost never find myself standing in a queue.
    felix said:

Andy_JS said:

Much of the ealry industrial revolution in textiles replaced men by machines - it impoverished handloom weavers for example but provided lots of new jobs and cheaper goods in the relatively short-term. Since the customer in the store puts the stuiff in the trolley any way...why not scan as well?
    Perhaps we could create a means whereby the customer can send a list to the shop and receive the goods from a delivery method? It's magic, I tell thee!
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,214
    edited July 2023
    Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

👍 Nice to know another person gets aggravated by this. They'll probably want us to help them stack shelves next. I used to go to manned checkouts wherever possible. I even tried to converse with staff in a friendly way, saying I didn't want to help put them out of a job. But after hearing from so many staff that the company doesn't make any money out of replacing manned checkouts with self-checkouts and in reality it loses money, because it has to buy the equipment, all "explained" to me as if I were an imbecile, I gave up. Anyone who had that level of stupidity, of ignorance about the capital-to-labour relationship - labour being a cost, and stuff like that - would have been considered the village idiot a few decades ago. Now it's the norm.
    Surely replacing these low skilled jobs is not really an issue when there is almost full employment?

The other thing is that they may be forced/co-erced in to telling you that.
    edited July 2023
    viewcode said:
    It has expired and gone to meet its maker. It has rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. If you hadn't nailed it to the perch it would be pushing up the daisies.
    Root yet again loses his wicket for a beautiful half century.

Declaration soon, surely?

Also - shame England have no spinner.
    Commentator's curse: Glenn McGrath: "I don't know where the next wicket's coming from". Next ball, Root out.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    Andy_JS said:

Commentator's curse: Glenn McGrath: "I don't know where the next wicket's coming from". Next ball, Root out.

Incredible. Not a second later!!!
    Andy_JS said:

Has he ever been seen in the same room as @DavidL ?
    That ball shows how much Mo is going be missed in the fourth innings. Turned sharply out the rough and kept very low.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    I see the third umpire is doubling up as a steward at Spa.

Cricinfo having an epic brain fart.

Their live score from Cheltenham is showing the batsman as 'Taylor.'

Which is not really informative given the not-out batsmen valiantly delaying the inevitable are Matt Taylor and Jack Taylor.
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Has he ever been seen in the same room as @DavidL ?
    I don't generally hang around with gods.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    ydoethur said:

Root yet again loses his wicket for a beautiful half century.

Declaration soon, surely?

Also - shame England have no spinner.

I think they will give Jonny the chance to get a century which he will fail at then just tell everyone to go in and slog at everything and try and pile on an extra 30 odd at worst from that. Each of the tail try and smash a few fours and lots of entertainment.
    edited July 2023
    England have a spinner, with a Test best of 5/8 and 60 wickets to his name. No problem.
    kle4 said:

England have a spinner, with a Test bet of 5/8 and 60 wickets to his name. No problem.

That's an impressive bit of spin all right.
    When Mo plays shots like that, you realise just how sad it is England never utilised him properly as a Test batsman.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    viewcode said:
    Still alive on my phone and iPad, so stick that up your flabby, incel arse Elon.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    Seattle Times ($) - India’s ban on rice exports triggers frenzy buying in WA stores

SSI - any signs of similar in UK or elsewhere?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446
    Andy_JS said:

You could say the same about walking around the store and taking items off the shelves. Time past that was something done for you. Doesn't mean it was better in the past.

I generally prefer the robotills because they normally have a communal queue, and so I don't have someone specifically right behind me, with their goods on the conveyor belt, waiting for me to finish packing my shopping and forcing them to wait. If it weren't for the fact that they don't work, and can't weigh things properly, then they would be perfect.

And working all day at a checkout scanning people's shopping is a bullshit job, and I glory in fewer people having to do it.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    Peck said:

Peck said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Yes - that's the kind of thing I think will happen first. It's a kind of ID check.
    Facial recognition is nowhere near good enough, it provides tons of false negatives and worse tons of false positives. It is even more unreliable on black and asian faces. Anyone touting facial recognition as a solution in its current state does not know what they are talking about.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,318
    There's a Turkish owned, Sierra Leone flagged, ship sailing from Israel directly to Ukraine.

Will be interesting to see what, if anything, the Russian Navy does.

https://twitter.com/auonsson/status/1685294791955746817/photo/1
This discussion has been closed.