Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Nadine’s going to have to put up with more Tweets like this – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited August 2023 in General
Nadine’s going to have to put up with more Tweets like this – politicalbetting.com

Today marks that day where it has officially taken Nadine Dorries longer to resign than Liz Truss was Prime Minister #NadineDorries

Read the full story here

Comments

• EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    Not happening.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Oh well - at least no one will ever believe a single word she ever says for the rest of her life.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    Chris said:

Oh well - at least no one will ever believe a single word she ever says for the rest of her life.

That implies there were people who believed her before.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

How do you think she got to be a MP?

Which puts the punters' opinion, as cited by OGH, somewhat in doubt.
  • There's not many jobs where you can barely turn up for a year and still pocket 85 grand.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

There's not many jobs where you can barely turn up for a year and still pocket 85 grand.

Non exec director. Always thought that looked a very appealing option.
    MattW said:

FPT:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

If Sunak wanted to do something useful, rather than randomly obsessing about small boats, how about a major nationwide crackdown on illegal motorcycling especially by underage cyclists?

So we don't get any more tragedies like this:

Young girl killed in Walsall hit-and-run was mum's 'star'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66335974

I think that would both be popular and very effective at improving people's lives in a way they might notice.

At least those idiots in Cardiff only killed themselves.

Also, it would mean the police were also doing something useful, rather than spending their time covering up for the sick perverts in their ranks.

The combination of “electric bikes” that have the looks, acceleration, performance up to 40-50 of a motorcycle, no safety gear and young men will soon be reaping a harvest, I reckon. The cheap Chinese batteries will add to the fun, when they are smashed in a crash…

Around the area where I live, they are using pedestrian areas for their delivery runs. In addition, the new bike lanes are built with both directions together. Each lane 3 foot or so wide.
    Electric bikes need to be regulated as mopeds, as in effect thar is what they are. Legitimate users will not be troubled, but the anti-social hoons will be.
    The regulatory laws already exist, and are in place. The issue is political will and useless Transport Ministers.

Certain further small changes might help - such as e-motorbikes requiring insurance on private land, and pre-registration by the selling dealer.

The "Electric Bikes" mentioned are electric motorbikes (or mopeds if restricted to 30mph aiui) - "Electric Bikes" do not exist as a category in the UK.

It's either a pedal cycle ('Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle - EAPC') - assistance stop at 15mph, no throttle beyond 4mph (as a mobility aid in some cases) and 250W motor limit. As defined in the type approval regulations.

Or an e-motorbike, which is anything outside that category, including hacked EAPC's and the likes of Surrons which do 50mph or so, in which case registration, insurance, and motorcycle gear are required.

Such need an appropriate policing response using existing powers, eg Section 59 and seizing anything that is not insured. Durham Police for example have been demonstrating such approaches since the late 1990s (not Section 59 since that came in in 2002).

Here's a Durham Police powerpoint about "Operation Endurance":
    https://democracy.durham.gov.uk/documents/s148563/07 2Nuisance motorbikes and quads presentation.pdf

The twats who run Hammersmith & Fulham are about to come a monumental cropper on the Thames Path PSPO because they are banning "E-Bikes", and their officers will be harrassing people using EAPCs which are pedal cycles in law, despite all kinds of attempts to educate them from various disabled charities pointing out that EAPCs are often legal mobility aids to boot. So they have a legal exposure under the Equality Act too.

They have also quite gloriously provided an exemption for "carrying a child", which means that Florence or Dougal can e-bike take their kid to the nursery, but are banned from riding home again by the same route. What divots.

(For the record the vast majority of pedal cycle users do have liability insurance free with their household insurance. E-motorbike users do not, since they are not pedal cycles.)
    Dangerous, bringing facts to a good long-running PB argument ...
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,172
    I agree that there will almost certainly be no mid-Bedfordshire by-election
    Pro_Rata said:

I agree that there will almost certainly be no mid-Bedfordshire by-election

She's sold out?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378
    Not at all a fan of Dorries but do we have any idea why she, an MP for 15 years and an ex-minister, is not deemed suitable by the Lords Committee when Charlotte Bloody Owen, a junior SPAD for a couple of years, is?
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 983

Foxy said:

Boris Johnson watches The Road: It's a rallying cry for humans to have more babies!
    Boris Johnson watches Newsnight: It's a rallying cry for humans to have more babies!
    Boris Johnson watches paint dry: It's a rallying cry for humans to have more babies!
    Etc

He cannot see a blonde that he doesn't want to impregnate.
    I thought Michael Fabricant was looking worried!
    They need to have their own hair!
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040

Not at all a fan of Dorries but do we have any idea why she, an MP for 15 years and an ex-minister, is not deemed suitable by the Lords Committee when Charlotte Bloody Owen, a junior SPAD for a couple of years, is?

Nobody could find anything nasty in Charlotte Owen’s background? Whereas………
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,090
    edited July 2023
    EPG said:

Not happening.

I agree, but I heard Rory Stewart floating the idea that Dorries would resign during conference season to stick it to Sunak by giving him more by-election-loss news. Didn't sound very plausible to me (my money would be on "collect the salary for another year and do no work") but it is at least a possible reason she might resign in the future but has not yet.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053

There was nothing objectionable in her past to remove her. The fact that there was nothing impressive in her past to include her is irrelevant, as HoL appts are made on Prime Ministerial whim.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,444
    They've asked on TMS which film most embodies the spirit of Bazball and I thought the answer was obvious: The Italian Job.

A daring British performance that leaves the opposition feeling like they've been mugged, always on the edge of going a little too far - "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" - and it ends finely poised, teetering on the edge of a precipice, and it could go either way. A shame Michael Caine is too old to play Stokes in the biopic.

So this got me to wondering, what films would best embody the spirit of past British Prime Ministers? Boris Johnson is easy, he was a Carry On film from start to finish. I suppose, if you're being charitable, you could see Liz Truss as Thelma & Louise. Any other suggestions?

They've asked on TMS which film most embodies the spirit of Bazball and I thought the answer was obvious: The Italian Job.

A daring British performance that leaves the opposition feeling like they've been mugged, always on the edge of going a little too far - "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" - and it ends finely poised, teetering on the edge of a precipice, and it could go either way. A shame Michael Caine is too old to play Stokes in the biopic.

So this got me to wondering, what films would best embody the spirit of past British Prime Ministers? Boris Johnson is easy, he was a Carry On film from start to finish. I suppose, if you're being charitable, you could see Liz Truss as Thelma & Louise. Any other suggestions?

Gallipoli for Mr Churchill. He did like to interfere in military stuff.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited July 2023

Isn't that more a matter of Dorries excluding herself, rather than Owen being a perfect candidate?

One argument for Dorries being there is that Lords in theory only get paid when they turn up and do some work - though Dorries may well find a way to play the system.

At present Dorries is like a latterday Stuart Bell * - completely missing in action afaics.

* See "Toryboy the Movie", a somewhat amusing journey by the young Tory candidate in 2010 in Middlesbrough to hunt for Stuart Bell in his constituency like David Attenborough going out to find the Yeti. Included I think with Amazon Prime:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ToryBoy-Movie-John-Walsh/dp/B08DK77NXH
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    This is why we’ve been talking about wine, weather, knives, cricket, cycling, Ukraine and Austro-Hungarian nostalgia

Who gives the tiniest micro-iota of a fuck about the thoughts deeds and fate of Nadine Dorries?
    Carnyx said:

I think I'm going to have to rule out films that are about historical events the PM in question was involved in. Not quite in the spirit of the question.

I can see a bit of the spirit of Liz Truss in the films "Falling Down" and "Queen Jane" too. Surely we won't have to wait long for the Liz Truss film? It's not like it needs to be that long...
    MattW said:

Isn't that more a matter of Dorries excluding herself, rather than Owen being a perfect candidate?

One argument for Dorries being there is that Lords in theory only get paid when they turn up and do some work - though Dorries may well find a way to play the system.

At present Dorries is like a latterday Stuart Bell * - completely missing in action afaics.

* See "Toryboy the Movie", a somewhat amusing journey by the young Tory candidate in 2010 in Middlesbrough to hunt for https://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2011/sep/08/reality-check-britain-s-laziest-mpin his constituency like David Attenborough going out to find the Yeti. Included I think with Amazon Prime:

Had to check who he was on Wiki which points out that the Graun did a fact check. Mr Bell was only the tenth worst MP. Though the others had somewhat of an excuse, mostly.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2011/sep/08/reality-check-britain-s-laziest-mp
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    edited July 2023
    What's going on? England's run rate is down to 4.9.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/64959414
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,648
    Hello from Excel. Sitting inside on turn 3 of the Formula E track and the Aircon is blowing lovely cooling air as we wait for the start of qualy.

Hello from Excel.

No, apparently it's WordPress. It's not a spreadsheet. Silly person. :)

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

* See "Toryboy the Movie", a somewhat amusing journey by the young Tory candidate in 2010 in Middlesbrough to hunt for https://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2011/sep/08/reality-check-britain-s-laziest-mpin his constituency like David Attenborough going out to find the Yeti. Included I think with Amazon Prime:

Had to check who he was on Wiki which points out that the Graun did a fact check. Mr Bell was only the tenth worst MP. Though the others had somewhat of an excuse, mostly.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2011/sep/08/reality-check-britain-s-laziest-mp
    Sir Stuart Bell was a Labour Grandee who liked to spend extensive amounts of time in Paris having had a career there as a lawyer, and received a Legion d'Honneur late in life.

He did constituency surgeries via an answering machine and appointments iirc, having been assaulted when doing them normal style in 1997.

Obit:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/oct/14/stuart-bell
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,466
    pm215 said:

EPG said:

Not happening.

I agree, but I heard Rory Stewart floating the idea that Dorries would resign during conference season to stick it to Sunak by giving him more by-election-loss news. Didn't sound very plausible to me (my money would be on "collect the salary for another year and do no work") but it is at least a possible reason she might resign in the future but has not yet.
    Has she been selected for the seat for 2024/5 GE?

If she stands and loses she gets more pay off money iirc?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Carnyx said:

I think I'm going to have to rule out films that are about historical events the PM in question was involved in. Not quite in the spirit of the question.

I can see a bit of the spirit of Liz Truss in the films "Falling Down" and "Queen Jane" too. Surely we won't have to wait long for the Liz Truss film? It's not like it needs to be that long...
    I see Ms Truss as the Florence Foster Jenkins of politics.

• Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    Point of Order Mr Speaker - is it still a "tweet"?

Surely more like an X-file? :wink:
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    edited July 2023
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

That's sir Stuart. Mr Bell is the diligent and industrious Aaron.

Titles are tricky things. Most people think Andy Murray is a knight, when actually he is Sir Andrew, Barron Murray.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084

Nadine Dorries's peerage (along with two others) was refused because they wanted to stay on as MPs. That is why Nadine announced her resignation with immediate effect, under the impression that would save her peerage. After being told it was too late for that because it had already been rejected, Nadine did not go through with her resignation.

Charlotte Owen was granted her peerage as part of a research study into conspiracy theories.

pm215 said:

EPG said:

Not happening.

Has she been selected for the seat for 2024/5 GE?

If she stands and loses she gets more pay off money iirc?
    The Tory candidate for mid-Bedfordshire for 2024/5 is Festus Akinbusoye, currently the PCC for Bedfordshire.
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Sir Stuart Bell was a Labour Grandee who liked to spend extensive amounts of time in Paris having had a career there as a lawyer, and received a Legion d'Honneur late in life.

He did constituency surgeries via an answering machine and appointments iirc, having been assaulted when doing them normal style in 1997.

Obit:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/oct/14/stuart-bell
    "Knighted in 2004, Bell was awarded the Légion d'Honneur in 2006 for his contribution to British-French relations. He wrote a large number of political books, short stories and novels – including an erotic novel, Paris 69 (1973) – and was a shareholder in the company which published them."
    Andy_JS said:

Weather forecast not ideal, either. Could be rain affected AGAIN
    Miklosvar said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Do you mean Aaron Bell, that well-spoken and committed MP, whose presence graces the House whilst doing his utmost to restore its reputation for nobility? What a fine fellow he is.
    edited July 2023
    Miklosvar said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Titles are tricky things. Most people think Andy Murray is a knight, when actually he is Sir Andrew, Barron Murray.
    Many thanks. Apologies to Mr A. Bell. Any insult purely unintentional.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    Leon said:

This is why we’ve been talking about wine, weather, knives, cricket, cycling, Ukraine and Austro-Hungarian nostalgia

Who gives the tiniest micro-iota of a fuck about the thoughts deeds and fate of Nadine Dorries?

I agree, which is why she should go away and make room for someone else.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163

... I can see a bit of the spirit of Liz Truss in the films "Falling Down" and "Queen Jane" too. Surely we won't have to wait long for the Liz Truss film? It's not like it needs to be that long...

It depends when Gardner's World gets around to doing an episode on lettuce....
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    Carnyx said:

Miklosvar said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Fun fact.

Aaron’s middle name is Stuart.
    Carnyx said:

Miklosvar said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

The movie is actually quite interesting - the Tory Boy was a self-employed Londoner media-businessman convert from Labour because he thought the Blair Government had not done well for business.

Also a young Londoner in the North, with some stereotyped opinions.
    Andy_JS said:

The average run-rate for England in the Bazball-era is 4.82, so a run rate of 4.9 is pretty normal for Stokes' team.
    Aaaaand relax. The sun is out. Have a beer

And

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,357
    Bish bosh, lovely session on Bazball....not like those boring convicts.
    Leon said:

Putin has seriously annoyed Africa

“President of South Africa to Putin: "In particular, you spoke about grain. We proposed to implement the Black Sea Grain Initiative, we said that we would like the Black Sea to be open to world markets. And we did not come here to ask for some "gifts" for the African continent."”

https://twitter.com/polidemitolog/status/1685246513830563840?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

And China pretty much owns Africa which could matter, though I don't know how fussed they are about the odd famine

Rubbish, let's have real test cricket.
    edited July 2023
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

I know logic has never been a strong point around here, but - really??
    Andy_JS said:

Rubbish, let's have real test cricket.
    Off to Conservative Home for you....
    Leon said:

“President of South Africa to Putin: "In particular, you spoke about grain. We proposed to implement the Black Sea Grain Initiative, we said that we would like the Black Sea to be open to world markets. And we did not come here to ask for some "gifts" for the African continent."”

https://twitter.com/polidemitolog/status/1685246513830563840?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

What happens when your president's ego becomes a more powerful factor than your national self-interest.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978

Nadine Dorries's peerage (along with two others) was refused because they wanted to stay on as MPs. That is why Nadine announced her resignation with immediate effect, under the impression that would save her peerage. After being told it was too late for that because it had already been rejected, Nadine did not go through with her resignation.

Charlotte Owen was granted her peerage as part of a research study into conspiracy theories.
    It iss certainly the Daddy of conspiracy theories. A good thing that there are no ongoing super injunctions
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Oh, I think you’re a bit harsh on yourself. It’s true it’s not your strongest point but you’ve shown flashes of it.
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Oh, I think you’re a bit harsh on yourself. It’s true it’s not your strongest point but you’ve shown flashes of it.
    Or as they say in the primary school "No, you are - you, you!"?
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Or as they say in the primary school "No, you are - you, you!"?
    Ok, maybe I was a bit generous.
    Chris said:

Leon said:

What happens when your president's ego becomes a more powerful factor than your national self-interest.
    “I know, let’s starve Africa!”

Brilliant, not

Here’s Sisi of Egypt keeping Putin waiting

https://twitter.com/fsasoldier/status/1684842697822007296?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

The Egyptians are crucially dependant on Ukrainian grain

43 African leaders attended Putin’s last African summit. He got 17 around the table, this time
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,766
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

God knows why people are so obsessed by what Africa is thinking in this war when it is an economic and political irrelevance. Getting South Sudan or Ethiopia onside or not in the supremely useless UN won't affect the outcome of the conflict by even the tiniest iota.

And if it is really worried about peace and prosperity it should solve the dozen or so big conflicts raging on its own land.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    pm215 said:

EPG said:

Not happening.

Seems unlikely. She is more dim-witted narcissist than vengeful Valkyrie. It would be highly amusing so I hope it happens.
    Fishing said:

Leon said:

God knows why people are so obsessed by what Africa is thinking in this war when it is an economic and political irrelevance. Getting South Sudan or Ethiopia onside or not won't affect the outcome of the conflict by even the tiniest iota.

And if it is really worried about peace and prosperity it should solve the dozen or so big conflicts raging around its continent.
    South Africa certainly matters. It is influential in the BRICS. And Africa is a source of vital raw materials for the Chinese economy. If there is widespread famine in Africa that affects China

And Egypt really matters in the Middle East. It is the most populous Arab nation and constantly teeters on the edge of famine/civil strife

Putin will massively anger the Middle East if his grain embargo pushes Egypt into turmoil

So, yeah. Africa is important
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,604
    The testimony of Chloe Cole to Congress is a significant moment in the pushback against transgender pseudoscience:

https://twitter.com/ChoooCole/status/1684905740266303488

"We need to stop telling 12-year-olds that they were born wrong, that they are right to reject their own bodies and feel uncomfortable with their own skin. We need to stop telling children that puberty is an option. That they can choose what kind of puberty they will go through just as they can choose what clothes to wear or music to listen to."
    Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

God knows why people are so obsessed by what Africa is thinking in this war when it is an economic and political irrelevance. Getting South Sudan or Ethiopia onside or not won't affect the outcome of the conflict by even the tiniest iota.

And if it is really worried about peace and prosperity it should solve the dozen or so big conflicts raging around its continent.
    South Africa certainly matters. It is influential in the BRICS. And Africa is a source of vital raw materials for the Chinese economy. If there is widespread famine in Africa that affects China

And Egypt really matters in the Middle East. It is the most populous Arab nation and constantly teeters on the edge of famine/civil strife

Putin will massively anger the Middle East if his grain embargo pushes Egypt into turmoil

Also, see above. I travelled overland Cape to Cairo in 2006-7 and China seemed to own most stuff then. Turns out they were just warming up. Africa matters because China matters.
    Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Also, see above. I travelled overland Cape to Cairo in 2006-7 and China seemed to own most stuff then. Turns out they were just warming up. Africa matters because China matters.
    Yes. I’d wager money Putin will reverse his Black Sea nonsense (in a face saving way). He can’t afford to alienate so many nations simultaneously
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    On topic : Nadine = fail

On travel : a very useful item to take is lightweight drawstring bags. The kind advertised for gym kit & can be used as a backpack.

They make an excellent light day bag - shopping, spare layers, water etc - without add the volume of a full backpack. Can roll them up and put the in a coat pocket. Also saves the planet - no need for buying plastic bags.
    The collapse begins.
    Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Yes. I’d wager money Putin will reverse his Black Sea nonsense (in a face saving way). He can’t afford to alienate so many nations simultaneously
    There was a suggestion that Turkey will send warships to escort grain carriers. If so, the enhancement in prestige, worldwide, for Turkey, would be exactly the kind of thing that Erdoğan goes for.
    TimS said:

The collapse begins.

Classic Zak Crawley.....
    TimS said:

The collapse begins.

TimS said:

The collapse begins.

Naah we will set a target of 350, sit out the rain tomorrow, and skittle them Monday
    Miklosvar said:

TimS said:

The collapse begins.

TimS said:

The collapse begins.

Naah we will set a target of 350, sit out the rain tomorrow, and skittle them Monday
    Monday is looking much the same as Sunday.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

There was a suggestion that Turkey will send warships to escort grain carriers. If so, the enhancement in prestige, worldwide, for Turkey, would be exactly the kind of thing that Erdoğan goes for.
    It does appear that Turkey and Moldova are hatching a plan to keep grain ships in their waters as they move through the Black Sea from Odesa. Presumably escorted in the sea by those countries, and from the air by NATO forces.

Hence Putin demonstrating this week, that the Ukranian port is within missile reach.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,780
    edited July 2023
    FPT
    MattW said:

On thread, what I do object to is Sadiq Khan's attempt to conflate ULEZ with action against climate change.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/28/sadiq-khan-says-climate-crisis-more-important-than-party-politics-after-ulez-victory

Ulez is about tackling air quality (NO2).
    Tackling global warming requires action against greenhouse gases (including CO2, but not NO2).

Older diesel cars produce less greenhouse gases than the older petrol cars that most people will have in reality to switch to, as the only affordable alternative, because their mpg is far better.

"Most people" won't have to switch to anything, since half of households do not have motor vehicles, and of the motor vehicles around 90% are already compliant.

So switchers will be in the low single %s at max.

On the other point, ULEZ in central London reduced traffic CO2 emissions by by 6% within a couple of years, so it is perhaps quite reasonable to consider it an intervention on climate change.
    https://www.london.gov.uk/new-report-reveals-transformational-impact-expanded-ultra-low-emission-zone-so-far
    No, the Mayor's press release doesn't state that at all. CO2 emissions were falling anyway due to a number of factors that all contributed to the 6%. Read further and you will find that the additional reduction in CO2 emissions in Central London that Khan claims happened due to ULEZ alone is only 3%. Presumably a lot of people in Central London chose to give up driving altogether, and others switched to electric vehicles, which outweighed the effect of people switching from diesel to less CO2 efficient petrol vehicles.

But that's in Central London. I think it far less likely that people will find it practicable to give up driving in Outer London, where population is less concentrated and public transport networks less dense, so a higher proportion in Outer London will switch to petrol driven cars and consume more fuel henceforth. The methodology that Khan's report used was also flawed, because it failed to take account of the vast CO2 consumed in unnecessarily manufacturing any new vehicle including and perhaps especially an electric one, emissions which only become necessary when you scrap prematurely a fuel-efficient diesel vehicle well before the end of its useful life.

So the evidence suggests that ULEZ in Outer London will increase CO2 emissions. That is not something that would necessarily have happened if Khan had given people at least a couple more years notice so that they could make choices when replacing their car closer to the point when they would have wanted to anyway.

edited July 2023
    Sadio Mane is in talks over a potential move from Bayern Munich, the German champions have confirmed.

Will there be any over 30s left in the major European leagues?
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    Completely off topic, but commendable:

The Oakland NAACP does something brave — and wise:

"OAKLAND, Calif. – The Oakland NAACP has called on city leaders to declare a state of emergency due to rising crime, calling the situation a “crisis,” and has urged residents across the city to speak out against it.

The group, alongside Bishop Bob Jackson of the Acts Full Gospel Church, issued the statement on Thursday, blasting both city and county officials, as well as social justice movements."
    source: https://www.ktvu.com/news/oakland-naacp-blasts-local-leaders-calls-for-state-of-emergency-due-to-crime

Ever since I worked in a slum school on the west side of Chicago more than 50 years ago, I have known that most of the victims of black criminals are also black*. And that crime often causes poverty. But those are things you won’t hear said by the leftists on Martha’s Vineyard.

(*That is true of other groups. According to reports I’ve seen, most of Bernie Madoff’s victims were other Jews. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the Mafia mostly vitimizes Italians. And so on.)

Cross posted at Patterico's Pontifications.

Miklosvar said:

TimS said:

The collapse begins.

TimS said:

The collapse begins.

Monday is looking much the same as Sunday.
    Ironically the best chance of a win might be an England collapse followed by an Aussie one.

Sadio Mane is in talks over a potential move from Bayern Munich, the German champions have confirmed.

Will there be any over 30s left in the major European leagues?

Not if the Saudis keep offering nine-figure annual salaries!
    edited July 2023

"OAKLAND, Calif. – The Oakland NAACP has called on city leaders to declare a state of emergency due to rising crime, calling the situation a “crisis,” and has urged residents across the city to speak out against it.

The group, alongside Bishop Bob Jackson of the Acts Full Gospel Church, issued the statement on Thursday, blasting both city and county officials, as well as social justice movements."
    source: https://www.ktvu.com/news/oakland-naacp-blasts-local-leaders-calls-for-state-of-emergency-due-to-crime

Ever since I worked in a slum school on the west side of Chicago more than 50 years ago, I have known that most of the victims of black criminals are also black*. And that crime often causes poverty. But those are things you won’t hear said by the leftists on Martha’s Vineyard.

(*That is true of other groups. According to reports I’ve seen, most of Bernie Madoff’s victims were other Jews. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the Mafia mostly vitimizes Italians. And so on.)

And of course particularly with things like high retail crime, shops will just close, with means few jobs in those neighbours, which means more poverty, which means more crime, rinse and repeat. And we are already seeing it as the likes of Walmart exits completely from some cities.

The laws put in place whereby steal less than $800-1000 bucks from a store and it is effectively a parking ticket has to be some of the most stupid laws ever thought up....and of course employees are not to try and stop this, otherwise they get sacked and the police, well they have been defunded and told they are all racist, so ain't going to rush there to issue the citation.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    I still don't know what Bazball means.

Even after looking it up.

And of course particularly with things like high retail crime, shops will just close, with means few jobs in those neighbours, which means more poverty, which means more crime, rinse and repeat. And we are already seeing it as the likes of Walmart exits completely from some cities.

The laws put in place whereby steal less than $800-1000 bucks from a store and it is effectively a parking ticket has to be some of the most stupid laws ever thought up....and of course employees are not to try and stop this, otherwise they get sacked and the police, well they have been defunded and told they are all racist, so ain't going to rush there to issue the citation.
    Guess what happens when you defund the police, and elect useless state prosecutors who think it’s racist to charge people with theft?

Commendable indeed from the NAACP, who see how things are on the streets, rather than how wealthy policymakers think they should be.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

The testimony of Chloe Cole to Congress is a significant moment in the pushback against transgender pseudoscience:

https://twitter.com/ChoooCole/status/1684905740266303488

"We need to stop telling 12-year-olds that they were born wrong, that they are right to reject their own bodies and feel uncomfortable with their own skin. We need to stop telling children that puberty is an option. That they can choose what kind of puberty they will go through just as they can choose what clothes to wear or music to listen to."

It's depressing that the malignancy of Woke is only really engaged with once its downstream consequences are clear.
  • PeckPeck Posts: 517
    Soon to be compulsory viewing in British schools, in the fight against the age-old prejudice against the transspecific, which is so similar to the long-term exclusion of people with vaginas from being allowed to vote, and the enslavement of black labour:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12339965/My-walkies-Japanese-man-bought-12-000-dog-costume-finally-goes-outside-immediately-makes-canine-friends-settles-new-life-collie.html

"Human" identity is cis-speciesist hate speech! Halifax bank should make a new badge for their employees, alongside the pronouns one...

Brendon McCullum (Baz) is the England coach and he was famously very aggressive player. Since taking over England he has told all the players to effectively mimic his attacking style at all times, which is extremely rare in test cricket.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,604

I thought it was coined by @FrancisUrquhart but it has its own Wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazball
    Something odd going on on X / Twitter. If you're not logged in it's showing tweets, but only old ones.

It is nothing more, nor less, than playing cricket with a complete absence of a fear of failure.
    edited July 2023
    Sandpit said:

Guess what happens when you defund the police, and elect useless state prosecutors who think it’s racist to charge people with theft?

Commendable indeed from the NAACP, who see how things are on the streets, rather than how wealthy policymakers think they should be.
    And this cancer has spread outside of the traditional high crime areas / cities. Portland, was always a bit weird and wacky place, but safe and prosperous. Now downtown is like a scene from the Walking Day, and whenever the far left (and less so the far right) turn up and smash the place up, the moronic Mayor and local prosecutors, don't want to charge people because whatever -ist and historic oppression you want to choose.

So businesses are just shutting up shop.

Not guilty m'lurd.....

Sandpit said:

And this cancer has spread outside of the traditional high crime areas / cities. Portland, was always a bit weird and wacky place, but safe and prosperous. Now downtown is like a scene from the Walking Day, and whenever the far left (and less so the far right) turn up and smash the place up, the moronic Mayor and local prosecutors, don't want to charge people because whatever -ist and historic oppression you want to choose.

Perhaps if the police could stop standing on the necks of people they arrest for petty crime, politicians might be more in favour of arrests for petty crime.

Incompetently administered capital punishment in the street looks bad.
    Should Stokes always bat at 3?
    edited July 2023

Sandpit said:

Perhaps if the police could stop standing on the necks of people they arrest for petty crime, politicians might be more in favour of arrests for petty crime.

Incompetently administered capital punishment in the street looks bad.
    In Portland they haven't been charging people for much more serious crimes than shoplifting.

And of course the police officers responsible for administering capital punishment were correctly jailed. Despite the often touted claims that any young black unarmed man might get murdered by the police, the figures don't hold up. The numbers of individuals killed by the police is very high compared to say the UK, but it is armed criminals....lead to heavily armed police...lead to many more situations where its life and death decisions. And with the introduction of bodycams, police can't get away with anywhere near as much dodgy stuff as perhaps they did before.

The issue of shoplifting not really being properly enforced has been on the books in some cities from before George Floyd and was causing trouble with organised gangs. But the word spreads and now it is a total disaster in quite a few US cities.

Should Stokes always bat at 3?

Depends who you want to bring in to bat at six, who can ideally bowl a bit, assuming Stokes isn't going to much from now on.

It's good to have the option. Suddenly there are five good options for the top three: Duckett, Crawley, Lees, Pope and Stokes
    edited July 2023

It is nothing more, nor less, than playing cricket with a complete absence of a fear of failure.
    It could have had a huge liberating effect on England players in the 1990s. That’s when the demons of self doubt had their strongest stranglehold on our players. No surprise the ones who still enjoyed some success then were the mentally tough who were most immune to criticism: Robin Smith, Thorpe and Hussain, Dominic Cork, Alec Stewart, Darren Gough.

I remember someone writing about Mark Ramprakash, who probably epitomised the problem. In the nets and at county level the most talented stroke player of his generation, up there with Lara. But in England whites a rabbit in the headlights. Chris Lewis was another one, so was Graham Hick. We had some very talented players who just couldn’t deal with the mental pressures of test cricket.

Quit with them negative waves. That just confirms PB is the most influential forum in the world.
    Andy_JS said:

Something odd going on on X / Twitter. If you're not logged in it's showing tweets, but only old ones.

I think it's accessing cached versions. For example, https://www.twitter.com/thisismadeupsodontclickit if accessed today will give a selection of tweets from 2022 or 2021. To attempt to access, instead use the mirror https://nitter.net/thisismadeupsodontclickit/with_replies .Other nitters are available

As social media slowly dies and information gets locked behind paywalls, accessing things will become more and more difficult. Workarounds are available but getting sparser. #badworld
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    I've just graduated from ballet school.

I got a 2:2
    edited July 2023
    TimS said:

It could have had a huge liberating effect on England players in the 1990s. That’s when the demons of self doubt had their strongest stranglehold on our players. No surprise the ones who still enjoyed some success then were the mentally tough who were most immune to criticism: Robin Smith, Thorpe and Hussain, Dominic Cork, Alec Stewart, Darren Gough.

I remember someone writing about Mark Ramprakash, who probably epitomised the problem. In the nets and at county level the most talented stroke player of his generation, up there with Lara. But in England whites a rabbit in the headlights. Chris Lewis was another one, so was Graham Hick. We had some very talented players who just couldn’t deal with the mental pressures of test cricket.
    Graeme Hick averaged 45 from his first tour of India until he fell out with Ray Illingworth who had decided for personal reasons Hick wasn’t good enough and arbitrarily dropped him. He never recovered his former verve (likewise Devon Malcolm).

I've just graduated from ballet school.

I got a 2:2

Shoo! Shoo!
    edited July 2023
    Root’s getting on with the Bazball! Umpire with both arms raised.
    edited July 2023
    TimS said:

There is also a huge difference between country cricket and test cricket, especially in England. In England, slow dobbers are very useful due to the pitches and conditions. Graham Hick problem was he was great against that stuff, smashed it all round the ground, but then he got to test cricket and you got say Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop, Benjamin.....or Donald, Pollock, Kallis...you are getting 90mph freak show from every end for hours on end which is a totally different prospect. Or you get to the Indian sub-continent, and spinners like Kumble. Hick problem was particular weak against short fast bowling and at the time there were some of the best of the best playing international cricket.
    TimS said:

It could also be usefully applied to the present generation of lavishly talented England footballers

They have the skills to win major tournaments. They’ve shown it. All they lack is the last varnish of self confidence in attack. And maybe a different coach….

I fear there is no such hope for England rugby. Just not very good, despite a couple of promising youngsters
    edited July 2023

TimS said:

There is also a huge difference between country cricket and test cricket, especially in England. In England, slow dobbers are very useful due to the pitches and conditions. Graham Hick problem was he was great against that stuff, smashed it all round the ground, but then he got to test cricket and you got say Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop, Benjamin.....or Donald, Pollock, Kallis...you are getting 90mph freak show from every end for hours on end which is a totally different prospect.
    Interestingly Donald himself said the English batsman South Africa’s bowlers were most afraid of was Hick. Possibly because he thrashed them all round the Oval in Malcolm’s match of 1994 and scored 141 at I think it was Centurion.

TimS said:

There is also a huge difference between country cricket and test cricket, especially in England. In England, slow dobbers are very useful due to the pitches and conditions. Graham Hick problem was he was great against that stuff, smashed it all round the ground, but then he got to test cricket and you got say Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop, Benjamin.....or Donald, Pollock, Kallis...you are getting 90mph freak show from every end for hours on end which is a totally different prospect.
    Those WI bowlers were astonishing back in the ‘80s and ‘90s.

It’s been sad to see cricket’s decline in the Carribean nations since then, replaced mostly by Track & Field, and American sports that offer big money.
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

TimS said:

It could also be usefully applied to the present generation of lavishly talented England footballers

They have the skills to win major tournaments. They’ve shown it. All they lack is the last varnish of self confidence in attack. And maybe a different coach….

I fear there is no such hope for England rugby. Just not very good, despite a couple of promising youngsters
    Football is a strange one, because they get extremely limited time together at international level.

At club level, they play very complex tactical systems which enables players to show this self confidence. You see Man City training ground, its nuts, all these weird different size boxes painted onto the pitches, and players know when X move to this box, I move to that box, etc etc etc.

International football in comparison, every nation now can put out a half decent starting 11, who are at very least well drilled to stop the opposition. But there isn't enough time for the likes of England to develop the sort of tactical systems that Man City or Liverpool use to break down say European teams with style.

It is why for instance Belgium tried for past 10 years or so to play the same tactical systems all the way through the age groups. So that as they progressed they were already well drilled in them.
    Australia’s destroyer in chief of yesterday into the attack
This discussion has been closed.