Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Can the Tories get hope from opposition to ULEZ? – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    The French women are rather good at football.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

If Sunak wanted to do something useful, rather than randomly obsessing about small boats, how about a major nationwide crackdown on illegal motorcycling especially by underage cyclists?

So we don't get any more tragedies like this:

Young girl killed in Walsall hit-and-run was mum's 'star'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66335974

I think that would both be popular and very effective at improving people's lives in a way they might notice.

At least those idiots in Cardiff only killed themselves.

Also, it would mean the police were also doing something useful, rather than spending their time covering up for the sick perverts in their ranks.

The combination of “electric bikes” that have the looks, acceleration, performance up to 40-50 of a motorcycle, no safety gear and young men will soon be reaping a harvest, I reckon. The cheap Chinese batteries will add to the fun, when they are smashed in a crash…

Around the area where I live, they are using pedestrian areas for their delivery runs. In addition, the new bike lanes are built with both directions together. Each lane 3 foot or so wide.
    Good morning

With Wales having a 20mph limit, down from 30mph, in September I assume cyclists will also have to comply which could be interesting
    Thing is, the cyclists I'm talking about won't, because they don't have licence plates (or if they do, they're cloned) so can't be identified (as Dura Ace has pointed out).

Unless you do a major policing operation to identify them.
    It is a recipe for disaster as cyclists overtake drivers in 20 mph zones
    The scariest part of driving in London now is when being overtaken on both the inside and outside by different cyclists at the same time, which never used to be a thing.
    Unfortunately blatant carelessness and suicidal idiocy aren't confined to the drivers of motor vehicles.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135
    edited July 2023
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

If Sunak wanted to do something useful, rather than randomly obsessing about small boats, how about a major nationwide crackdown on illegal motorcycling especially by underage cyclists?

I think that would both be popular and very effective at improving people's lives in a way they might notice.

Also, it would mean the police were also doing something useful, rather than spending their time covering up for the sick perverts in their ranks.

The combination of “electric bikes” that have the looks, acceleration, performance up to 40-50 of a motorcycle, no safety gear and young men will soon be reaping a harvest, I reckon. The cheap Chinese batteries will add to the fun, when they are smashed in a crash…

Around the area where I live, they are using pedestrian areas for their delivery runs. In addition, the new bike lanes are built with both directions together. Each lane 3 foot or so wide.
    Good morning

With Wales having a 20mph limit, down from 30mph, in September I assume cyclists will also have to comply which could be interesting
    Thing is, the cyclists I'm talking about won't, because they don't have licence plates (or if they do, they're cloned) so can't be identified (as Dura Ace has pointed out).

Well, at the moment what's happening with them is a disaster anyway.

So I'm not sure that's going to make a lot of practical difference in that aspect.

There are other very good reasons for thinking the 20mph limit isn't going to help - not least, without fixed speed cameras nobody will obey it so it will bring low speed limits where they are useful (like outside schools at the start and end of the day) into disrepute.
    Londoners have started to obey them, with compliance increasing over time. I think when originally introduced most drivers dropped to 30 (from a mix of 30-40 previously) in a 20. Now most drivers are probably around 25-30, but in heavy traffic if 10% want to drive at 20, then 20 is the speed for everyone.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Peck said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Dull on here this morning - wine and weather.

Where's our regular Saturday morning guest contributor to liven things up?

Didn't they do their shift one evening this week? Even Russian trolls want a bit of a holiday.

Things are looking increasingly difficult on the stuttering Ukrainian counterattack. Sources within the armed forces report that almost the entire fleet of Western tanks supplied with much fanfare earlier this year have been destroyed. Ukraine is losing soldiers at a rate of 10 for every Russian soldier. Meanwhile any hope of making significant advances in drying up.

The West will need to start facing the grim truth soon - it’s been pouring billions of dollars into a losing battle and taxpayers are starting to notice. Within a month or two Ukraine will be out of weapons and artillery. NATO will need to accept the inevitable and abandon its proxy war. Perhaps then the West can start focusing on the very real crises at home including poisoning from Covid vaccines and the societal degradation from homosexual propaganda.

How did I do?
    That’s very good. Not least coz some of it is unfortunately true. Read between the lines and the counter attack is faltering. I don’t see a breakthrough - and nor do Ukrainians I talk to. It’s a stalemate. And Ukraine is running out of men
    How long has Zelensky got?

I fear he might have a while yet, given that the population who once voted for braidy-haired Star Wars girl voted a generation later for the Lowly Teacher character in Servant of the People.

Have you met anybody in the west of the country who says f*** the eastern territories because they're not worth our lives? Many in GB outside of sectarian areas of Glasgow, Manchester, etc., said that about Northern Ireland.
    No. I’ve met nothing but universal determination to pursue the war. And total hatred of Putin

Now I’m sure there is an element of groupthink here. And of course basic patriotism. Their young men are dying and losing limbs. Who is going to stand up and say This is pointless or Let’s make peace

However their single minded pugnacity is absolute. It seems to me. Every missile and bomb makes them angrier

They also seem to have accepted that the war is going to be brutally expensive in human lives - but the alternative is worse. Rule by Russia. So they will keep fighting to the last Ukrainian

They accept the war won’t end soon. “Another year or two at least” is what they say, with a fatalistic shrug

It’s a fascinating mindset and highly impressive. Putin has taken on an entire nation and unified it in hatred of him and his people. So he cannot win. Even if he “wins” the Ukrainians will be back for revenge for decades

He has soiled any possibility of good relations for decades. Even if he holds on to the current lines his is a defeat.

"Denazification" (regime change) total failure.

"Demilitarisation" has only happened to Russian forces. Ukraine is now at least Russias equal militarily, and arguably evolving into the most effective military in Europe, albeit with a hotch-potch of NATO systems.
    In the medium-long term the war is a Total Catastrophe for Putin and Russia. He has unified the west and NATO, he has extended his border with NATO by 1000km next to Finland. He has ensured we all up our defence spending. He has fucked his gas and oil leverage over Europe. He has severed relations with the west - even Germany. The Eastern Europeans despise him. And now he’s alienating Africa with this grain embargo

And most of all he has turned a previously “friendly” nation - into a bitter well armed enemy of 40m people right on his doorstep, with 3m more Ukrainians inside Russia who might do what?

I’ve no doubt about all that in the long term. It’s the short term I have worries for Ukraine. I fear they might have to accept an armistice in the mud as they recover in men and material. Then round 2?

Or Putin falls and the next guy accepts the invasion is a terrible, epochal error and sues for a truce

🙏
    Next but one maybe. Good chance a replacement for Putin is more aggressive?
    A politics guy here made a persuasive argument to me: that even if Putin’s replacement is nastier and more nationalistic, he won’t “own” the war like Putin

And almost everyone in higher circles in Russia realises this war is a tragic error which can’t be corrected by victory. So the next guy, even if he’s a Russian Hitler, will likely seek a way out

Maybe it’s hopecasting. But it’s plausible
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053

Foxy said:

Boris Johnson watches The Road: It's a rallying cry for humans to have more babies!
    Boris Johnson watches Newsnight: It's a rallying cry for humans to have more babies!
    Boris Johnson watches paint dry: It's a rallying cry for humans to have more babies!
    Etc

He cannot see a blonde that he doesn't want to impregnate.
    I thought Michael Fabricant was looking worried!
    I'm not sure Michael Fabricant is a real blonde. That shade does not look convincing.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Didn't they do their shift one evening this week? Even Russian trolls want a bit of a holiday.

Things are looking increasingly difficult on the stuttering Ukrainian counterattack. Sources within the armed forces report that almost the entire fleet of Western tanks supplied with much fanfare earlier this year have been destroyed. Ukraine is losing soldiers at a rate of 10 for every Russian soldier. Meanwhile any hope of making significant advances in drying up.

The West will need to start facing the grim truth soon - it’s been pouring billions of dollars into a losing battle and taxpayers are starting to notice. Within a month or two Ukraine will be out of weapons and artillery. NATO will need to accept the inevitable and abandon its proxy war. Perhaps then the West can start focusing on the very real crises at home including poisoning from Covid vaccines and the societal degradation from homosexual propaganda.

How did I do?
    That’s very good. Not least coz some of it is unfortunately true. Read between the lines and the counter attack is faltering. I don’t see a breakthrough - and nor do Ukrainians I talk to. It’s a stalemate. And Ukraine is running out of men
    I agree, at least to an extent: it's not faltering, it's just very slow. Look at the headlines: "Andriivka has been freed!", celebrating an advance of 6km over two-three days. A front that moves at a tenth-of-a-mile a hour is going to take years to win. As to the running-out-of-men thing, it's a good point but countries if sufficiently motivated will absorb enormous losses: witness France in WWI. Will contribute further later in the day.
    Yes they are doing well given the situation , murdering scum are dug in behind minefields and UKR have no air power. Not far to go till they can pound the shit out of Russians in Crimea.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    edited July 2023

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning

Very few cyclists travel through urban areas at 30kph (20mph). Really fit cyclists in full lycra (Dura Ace please confirm) aim for that as an average over a long ride in the countryside. My average around Edinburgh is about 20kph, not including the time I am held up by congestion.

And speed limits do not apply to cyclists. Rule 124 of the Highway Code.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,022

ydoethur said:

Good morning

Who's going to police it? The feds don't respond to burglaries around here, so how are they going to nab a cyclist doing 25 in a 20?
    To be fair that is a licence for us all to ignore it

It is an unnecessary authoritarian decision by Drakeford which is typical of the left

Most everyone would agree to 20mph zones near schools and congested areas

I expect lots of controversy as it becomes mandatory
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    edited July 2023
    More evidence of this new type of quasi-religious way of thinking is that we're not allowed to be sceptical of anything anymore. We have to believe what we're told, by the righteous.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning

The scariest part of driving in London now is when being overtaken on both the inside and outside by different cyclists at the same time, which never used to be a thing.
    Hahaha ffs. Scary. You are in a steel box with airbags.
    edited July 2023

ydoethur said:

Good morning

Who's going to police it? The feds don't respond to burglaries around here, so how are they going to nab a cyclist doing 25 in a 20?
    No one, because it is perfectly legal for a cyclist to do 25 in a 20.

Maybe PB drivers should revise the Highway code?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Peck said:

Leon said:

Peck said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

How did I do?

I fear he might have a while yet, given that the population who once voted for braidy-haired Star Wars girl voted a generation later for the Lowly Teacher character in Servant of the People.

Have you met anybody in the west of the country who says f*** the eastern territories because they're not worth our lives? Many in GB outside of sectarian areas of Glasgow, Manchester, etc., said that about Northern Ireland.
    No. I’ve met nothing but universal determination to pursue the war. And total hatred of Putin

Now I’m sure there is an element of groupthink here. And of course basic patriotism. Their young men are dying and losing limbs. Who is going to stand up and say This is pointless or Let’s make peace

However their single minded pugnacity is absolute. It seems to me. Every missile and bomb makes them angrier

They also seem to have accepted that the war is going to be brutally expensive in human lives - but the alternative is worse. Rule by Russia. So they will keep fighting to the last Ukrainian

They accept the war won’t end soon. “Another year or two at least” is what they say, with a fatalistic shrug

It’s a fascinating mindset and highly impressive. Putin has taken on an entire nation and unified it in hatred of him and his people. So he cannot win. Even if he “wins” the Ukrainians will be back for revenge for decades
    Interesting. I suspected the position was currently like that and might remain like that for a while. There's also the history of slaughter, barbarism, and famine in the region, which surely gives added force to strong propaganda by the government when it's connected with war, given also the apocalypticism that is relished in all kinds of Orthodoxy. (Let's hope Belarus doesn't get sucked in.) There are no atheists in foxholes. Perhaps many who were surprised in 2014 have grown less and less surprised.

Then again a lot of the rich have left, as happens in most wars, and there's a ban on adult men under 60 leaving the country and there don't have to be rules against little boys stealing apples unless some little boys would otherwise steal apples. Up to 60% of Ukrainians have refused SARSCoV2 vaccination (a significantly higher rate than in Russia) which however one reads it shows there's a widespread scepticism about the honesty of those who run the state.

Putin may have caused the language that Servant of the People was made in to change to Ukrainian, but he's 70. I doubt he'll make it to 75 in office.

Do you speak Ukrainian or Russian or are you dependent on interpreting when you meet people who only speak those languages?
    A mix (in answer to your last question). Quite a few young people speak decent English. Older ones I rely on someone young to interpret. There’s usually someone not far away

But the impression is firm. Steadfast and determined. Fatalistic and vengeful

For them It’s like someone has broken into the house with an axe and they are trying to kill you and there’s no means of escape. Ukrainians - the ones I’ve met - have accepted the horror of the
    situation and they are grimly and angrily resigned to dealing with it

It’s shit but it is reality

Indeed when I casually talk of “peace” they sometimes look at me with bewilderment. There can be no “peace” - not with Putin’s Russia
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

What can they do? It's impossible to pursue and apprehend a motorcyclist without a high risk of killing them. If the filth did start doing this and killed a few chavs we and our Internet service providers would have to suffer through a Cyclefree header on the subject longer than À la recherche du temps perdu. Everyone loses.
    The genie has granted your wish. Endless pissy posts like this from you are a waste of my time. My last word on here.

Vaffanculo.

• Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Electric bikes need to be regulated as mopeds, as in effect thar is what they are. Legitimate users will not be troubled, but the anti-social hoons will be.
    They're governed by the highway code, and need to be taxed, tested, insured and registered already. The problem is that enforcing the laws on them is impossible. I actually think they are a great idea and would be great to get people out of cars in towns and cities, but as per usual, government doesn't have the competence to make it work.

ydoethur said:

Good morning

It is an unnecessary authoritarian decision by Drakeford which is typical of the left

There was a big drop in road traffic collision injuries (though not collisions) in Edinburgh after they introduced the 20 mph limit. Despite no enforcement whatsoever, average speeds dropped (it's self-enforcing, because it only takes one driver like me to hold everyone else to it).

2.5% of pedestrian fataility at 20mph. 20% at 30mph. People like being safe.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,022
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning

So what happens when they injure a child or are the cause of a fatal accident?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning

Well, at the moment what's happening with them is a disaster anyway.

So I'm not sure that's going to make a lot of practical difference in that aspect.

There are other very good reasons for thinking the 20mph limit isn't going to help - not least, without fixed speed cameras nobody will obey it so it will bring low speed limits where they are useful (like outside schools at the start and end of the day) into disrepute.
    Londoners have started to obey them, with compliance increasing over time. I think when originally introduced most drivers dropped to 30 (from a mix of 30-40 previously) in a 20. Now most drivers are probably around 25-30, but in heavy traffic if 10% want to drive at 20, then 20 is the speed for everyone.
    I would have thought from bitter experience that in London's heavy traffic the average speed was 0.2mph for everyone anyway.

I was thinking more of the many villages in Wales that haven't been bypassed but have wide main roads running through them.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited July 2023
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Electric bikes need to be regulated as mopeds, as in effect thar is what they are. Legitimate users will not be troubled, but the anti-social hoons will be.
    The regulatory laws already exist, and are in place. The issue is political will and useless Transport Ministers.

Certain further small changes might help - such as e-motorbikes requiring insurance on private land, and pre-registration by the selling dealer.

The "Electric Bikes" mentioned are electric motorbikes (or mopeds if restricted to 30mph aiui) - "Electric Bikes" do not exist as a category in the UK.

It's either a pedal cycle ('Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle - EAPC') - assistance stop at 15mph, no throttle beyond 4mph (as a mobility aid in some cases) and 250W motor limit. As defined in the type approval regulations.

Or an e-motorbike, which is anything outside that category, including hacked EAPC's and the likes of Surrons which do 50mph or so, in which case registration, insurance, and motorcycle gear are required.

Such need an appropriate policing response using existing powers, eg Section 59 and seizing anything that is not insured. Durham Police for example have been demonstrating such approaches since the late 1990s (not Section 59 since that came in in 2002).

Here's a Durham Police powerpoint about "Operation Endurance":
    https://democracy.durham.gov.uk/documents/s148563/07 2Nuisance motorbikes and quads presentation.pdf

The twats who run Hammersmith & Fulham are about to come a monumental cropper on the Thames Path PSPO because they are banning "E-Bikes", and their officers will be harrassing people using EAPCs which are pedal cycles in law, despite all kinds of attempts to educate them from various disabled charities pointing out that EAPCs are often legal mobility aids to boot. So they have a legal exposure under the Equality Act too.

They have also quite gloriously provided an exemption for "carrying a child", which means that Florence or Dougal can e-bike take their kid to the nursery, but are banned from riding home again by the same route. What divots.

(For the record the vast majority of pedal cycle users do have liability insurance free with their household insurance. E-motorbike users do not, since they are not pedal cycles.)
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning

Yes and if I am distracted by the cyclist on the outside so start to move inside I could kill someone. Yes, of course that is scary.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    edited July 2023
    This thread has

not lasted longer than Liz Truss was PM, but unlike Dorries has finally resigned.

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning

So what happens when they injure a child or are the cause of a fatal accident?
    They are arrested and charged with "furious cycling". But this exceedingly rare, because bikes weigh 10kg (rather than 2,500kg for an SUV), and in a collision much of the energy flips the cyclist into the road.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2017/aug/23/motorist-would-not-have-landed-cyclists-wanton-and-furious-driving-charge
    Andy_JS said:

More evidence of this new type of quasi-religious way of thinking is that we're not allowed to be sceptical of anything anymore. We have to believe what we're told, by the righteous.

I would submit that PB in general, and your posts in particular, are disproof of that. People are allowed to disagree with you.

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning

Yes and if I am distracted by the cyclist on the outside so start to move inside I could kill someone. Yes, of course that is scary.
    If you can't drive safely, you shouldn't be driving at all. Stop passing the buck.
  • ydoethur said:

Good morning

Once again, who will enforce it? Registered vehicles will get nabbed by ANPR, people on illegal electric scooters and bikes are impossible to identify (I don't know many cyclist who can really hit 20mph between lights in cities).
  • TimS said:

kle4 said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Peck said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

How did I do?

He has soiled any possibility of good relations for decades. Even if he holds on to the current lines his is a defeat.

"Denazification" (regime change) total failure.

"Demilitarisation" has only happened to Russian forces. Ukraine is now at least Russias equal militarily, and arguably evolving into the most effective military in Europe, albeit with a hotch-potch of NATO systems.
    The hatred of Russia in almost all Eastern Europe is a sight to behold. I suppose it’s inevitable if you have a brutal empire, then lose it, but instead of acknowledging a bit of guilt and attempting to make friends with your former colonies, commonwealth style, you noisily covet your lost territories and repeatedly tell them they’re not real countries.
    We're not exactly fantastic at dealing with post imperial decline, but perhaps most of our former territories being a long way away helped us reorient. Russia looks over the border and sees many former possessions doing great, can't touch most of them, so concentrates on destroying those it can.
    Yes we’re both divorced ex husbands. Britain generally manages, we have the kids over every other weekend, there’s the occasional bit of passive aggressive tension and quibbles over maintenance payments but people are getting on with life.

Russia on the other hand is the jealous ex, determined to destroy her if he can’t have her. Turning up on the doorstep drunk from time to time and getting slapped with non molestation orders. Threatening the new boyfriend in an increasingly embarrassing way.
    Great analogy, gave me a laugh this morning!
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimS said:

How did I do?
    1) Too many capital letters
    2) Too much punctuation
    3) No use of “mate”
    4) No mention of vaccines, gays, trans
    5) No slightly off references to poster to give the impression you are part of The Gang.

3/10
    You are hard to please Malmesbury, hopefully you are not a teacher.
    No skill in that direction.
    You could be an OFSTED inspector instead, if it weren't for the fact you're obviously intelligent.
    Suggesting I could be an OFSTED inspector?!?

Right. Pistols for 2 in Hyde Park. Breakfast for 1 at Simpsons.
    Could the breakfast be at Morrisons instead? I've always preferred their full English.
    Not to mention that Simpsons never reopened after the pandemic and Morrisons did.
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning

If you can't drive safely, you shouldn't be driving at all. Stop passing the buck.
    Eh? I, and everyone else, can drive more safely when not being overtaken on both sides by cyclists.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

ydoethur said:

Good morning

On your argument, it's OK to rape people because most of the rapists don't get reported.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

They're governed by the highway code, and need to be taxed, tested, insured and registered already. The problem is that enforcing the laws on them is impossible. I actually think they are a great idea and would be great to get people out of cars in towns and cities, but as per usual, government doesn't have the competence to make it work.
    Deleted
    Cyclefree said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

What can they do? It's impossible to pursue and apprehend a motorcyclist without a high risk of killing them. If the filth did start doing this and killed a few chavs we and our Internet service providers would have to suffer through a Cyclefree header on the subject longer than À la recherche du temps perdu. Everyone loses.
    The genie has granted your wish. Endless pissy posts like this from you are a waste of my time. My last word on here.

Vaffanculo.

@Cyclefree, although I cannot speak to the pissiness (it's @Dura_Ace, so it comes with the package along with the incomprehensible acronyms and jargon), I can speak to the length. Your articles are longer than usual, peaking at around 1,100 to 1,200 words. I'm not complaining - in fact, I used your precedent to justify a longer article of my own - but they are longer, yes.

(incidentally, one quick win for text compression is to delete all adjectives. If the meaning of the text is changed, reinsert one at a time until the meaning is restored. Other techniques include moving text into appendices and include it as a supplement, subdividing the article using sections and delete sections until the limit is reached, using pictures/graphs instead of text, providing a short version to the editor for publication and put the longer version in a PDF, and so on. I sympathise with the anguish but it's just something that has to be done)

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimS said:

How did I do?
    1) Too many capital letters
    2) Too much punctuation
    3) No use of “mate”
    4) No mention of vaccines, gays, trans
    5) No slightly off references to poster to give the impression you are part of The Gang.

3/10
    You are hard to please Malmesbury, hopefully you are not a teacher.
    No skill in that direction.
    You could be an OFSTED inspector instead, if it weren't for the fact you're obviously intelligent.
    Suggesting I could be an OFSTED inspector?!?

Right. Pistols for 2 in Hyde Park. Breakfast for 1 at Simpsons.
    Could the breakfast be at Morrisons instead? I've always preferred their full English.
    Not to mention that Simpsons never reopened after the pandemic and Morrisons did.
    Was it Mr Burns or Sideshow Bob who stopped them?
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    Cyclefree said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Vaffanculo.

Being insulted by a nihilistic attention seeker could be seen as a compliment.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning

Very few cyclists travel through urban areas at 30kph (20mph). Really fit cyclists in full lycra (Dura Ace please confirm) aim for that as an average over a long ride in the countryside. My average around Edinburgh is about 20kph, not including the time I am held up by congestion.

I can sustain ~30km/h on the flat but I'm fifty-fucking-six. There are guys in my club who can do 35-40km/h if they are riding in a group of three or four. They (and I) don't give a fuck about speed limits, red lights or anything else.

Filippo Ganna, Italian Time Trial champion and 2 x World TT champ, can do 56km/h for an hour on his own.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

I laughed guiltily.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    Dura_Ace said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning

I can sustain ~30km/h on the flat but I'm fifty-fucking-six. There are guys in my club who can do 35-40km/h if they are riding in a group of three or four. They (and I) don't give a fuck about speed limits, red lights or anything else.

And they wonder where the term Lycra Louts comes from.
This discussion has been closed.