Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Can the Tories get hope from opposition to ULEZ? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited July 2023 in General
Can the Tories get hope from opposition to ULEZ? – politicalbetting.com

The High Court has ruled London's planned ULEZ expansion is lawful.Our most recent polling finds 47% of Londoners support and 32% oppose the planned expansion.However, in Outer London, opinion is split (39% each), and more than a quarter of voters (27%) are STRONGLY opposed. pic.twitter.com/y9Jki0Uc9b

Read the full story here

Comments

• MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited July 2023
    1st.

Unlike Jimmy, that's a hat-trick this week.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601
    MattW said:

1st.

Unlike Jimmy, that's a hat-trick this week.

Hopefully a hat trick for Jimmy in the last innings to win the Test 👍
  • PhilPhil Posts: 2,202
    HYUFD said:

RFK Jr. Is complaining about not having Secret Service protection, saying:

“Since the assassination of my father in 1968, candidates for president are provided Secret Service protection.  But not me.”

Here is a fact that he has left out though:

In the 2016 presidential election, out of the 20+ candidates in the primaries, only Donald Trump, Ben Carson, Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders received Secret Service protection.

Additionally I have not been able to find a single case of a candidate trying to primary an incumbent getting Secret Service protection in modern history.

A series of criteria must be met before taxpayers start footing hundreds of thousands of dollars in bills for a candidate. RFK Jr. appears to not have met that criteria.

It’s that simple.

https://twitter.com/krassenstein/status/1684973654063423509?s=46

Ben Carson got Secret Service protection after threats from militants, even though he did not end up in the last 2 for the 2016 GOP nomination unlike Trump and Cruz. So it depends on the threat level to presidential candidates as well as their campaign strength
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/19/donald-trump-ben-carson-secret-service-protection#:~:text=It said the Secret Service,be targeting a political candidate.
    It’s hard to believe that RFK’s use of 14:88 is accidental in his complaint tweet: https://twitter.com/RobertKennedyJr/status/1684909385376575488

A dog whistle to the far, far right?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    The sensible move from Labour, is to plan to move to a more equitable charging system. Something that can be rolled out across the country as a fair and effective system for the 21st cent.

If other countries can do it, why not us?

The Oyster card system was borrowed, largely, from an existing system.

The “fuck the small number of people who’ll get screwed by implementing Our Worthy Goal” is so 1950s. We can do better.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    If there is one thing we have surely learnt from Brexit there is a lot of political capital in telling people to oppose something that might be in their best interests based on gut feel and small c conservatism so there is no reason why ULEZ cannot be made into an enemy of the people.

If the Tories put an ad on the side of buses saying that ULEZ is costing “you” £x per day and Labour want that money to spend on gender reassignment for small boat arrivals then it’s job done.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    ULEZ won't plausibly affect most marginal seats which are towns and rural hinterlands. The narrative was that even if you are compliant today, they will catch you with road pricing tomorrow. Again it won't work in the large majority of swing seats. Finally there is the historical strength of the Tories in the constituency in question, holding it at almost every general election including 1997, and the medium-term swing toward the Tories in the northern commuter belt from Hillingdon to Canvey Island - a bunch of 1997 Labour wins or marginal losses that aren't at all likely wins in the next decade - albeit more so in the north-east. Hard to believe they lost Castle Point in 1997 when they now hold it with a 60% majority.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    edited July 2023
    Inner London always votes mostly Labour anyway, even when the Tories win UK majorities as in 2019 and 2015 or the London Mayoralty as in 2008 or 2012 so they don't need to worry much that a clear majority of Inner London backs the ULEZ.

The fact as many oppose ULEZ as back it though in Outer London is far more significant for them. For if the Tories can get half of Outer London to back them at a general election then they could save London suburban seats they would otherwise lose on UNS like Beckenham, Eltham and Chislehurst, Wimbledon, Finchley and Golders Green, Croydon South, Hendon, Harrow East, Bexleyheath and Crayford and even maybe Chingford and Woodford Green and Chipping Barnet as they held Uxbridge and South Ruislip last week.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,905
    This issue will have less impact in the GE as the Tory scaremongering meets the reality that drivers will know whether their car is compliant.

Khan though does seem to have been very stubborn and really should have extended the time for people to get a compliant car.

nico679 said:

This issue will have less impact in the GE as the Tory scaremongering meets the reality that drivers will know whether their car is compliant.

Khan though does seem to have been very stubborn and really should have extended the time for people to get a compliant car.

That’s fine in London which is strong Labour, the Tories will just say to the rest of the country that if Labour get in then this is coming to a small town near you soon.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,750
    Anyone else listen to Cerys Matthews' 'Add to Playlist' on R4 ?

I was a longtime sceptic, regularly avoiding it, but I think it's become one of the BBC's acknowledged gems.

Some episodes are better than others, but at its best, it's fantastic.
    boulay said:

nico679 said:

That’s fine in London which is strong Labour, the Tories will just say to the rest of the country that if Labour get in then this is coming to a small town near you soon.
    But I don't think voters will plausibly think the local council is going to bring licence plate monitoring cameras to Stoke-on-Trent.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,905
    boulay said:

nico679 said:

To use an obvious pun I’m not sure how much mileage you can get out of this issue. Labours messaging in Uxbridge was poor and surely they must have learnt lessons from that .
    edited July 2023
    boulay said:

nico679 said:

Do you have any data to show that it true? - that is, small towns being non-compliant.

On a larger scale Central Nottingham, for example, seems to be compliant with the targets for NOx in the air (hence no ULEZ), which I would suggest has something to do with the 12-15 million trips a year on the tram network, and the 1,5 million on the light rail (both still recovering form the pandemic slump), and also their active travel efforts - which are smaller than eg London, but noticeable and prevent a lot of car journeys.

There is also a modest stick for businesses in that there is a workplace parking tax at £522 per employee parking space per year (2023 number) for iirc businesses that provide more than 10 employee parking spaces (blue badges exempt).
    Really finally this time, tactically this suits Starmer quite well. He did excellently outside London, and while losing in north London he can and did blame it on Khan and by implication the blue-hair Stop-Oil small-boats Long-Bailey Owen-Jones wing.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,069
    No.

But here's a plan B.They could always have a crack at 'getting hope' from governing the country really really well, with high levels of competence, consistency, honour, honesty, equity and transparency.

We could live in the sort of country where babies don't die in prison while being born because no-one was bothered to do anything at all to help the baby at birth. The sort of thing you also read about in horror stories of North Korean gulags.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    Our decent PM isn’t one of nature’s shin-kickers

Rishi Sunak is reading from the wrong script with his aggressive attacks on
    Labour, and this will put off moderate voters

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/our-decent-pm-isnt-one-of-natures-shin-kickers-3qb5qn9vv (£££)
    Matthew Parris (and I've not read the paywalled column).

It is a common failure of party HQ spin doctors not to notice a change in leader and to keep pumping out scripts for the last one. Gordon Brown was not Tony Blair. Theresa May was not David Cameron. Rishi Sunak is not Boris Johnson and nor should he try to be.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    EPG said:

Really finally this time, tactically this suits Starmer quite well. He did excellently outside London, and while losing in north London he can and did blame it on Khan and by implication the blue-hair Stop-Oil small-boats Long-Bailey Owen-Jones wing.

Do the JSO mob vote Conservative, perhaps? They seem to be young and posh with that public school confidence to take action about an issue on which they know best.

EPG said:

Do the JSO mob vote Conservative, perhaps? They seem to be young and posh with that public school confidence to take action about an issue on which they know best.
    I can easily believe their parents vote Green while driving (Chelsea) tractors.
    nico679 said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

To use an obvious pun I’m not sure how much mileage you can get out of this issue. Labours messaging in Uxbridge was poor and surely they must have learnt lessons from that .
    Negative messaging is easier - “Vote Labour and pay £12.50 a week to drive your car to town. Under Labour’s Mayor Khan Londoners are having to aly £x to drive their car on the roads they’ve already paid their road tax for.” It’s disingenuous but if you live in Stoke etc and you start thinking, “yes, that Labour guy who runs London is charging everyone a fortune to drive to work or shop” it’s not only a financial burden but nanny state - don’t tell me I can’t drive to the shops, pick up my kids from school without paying more money.

Whilst ULEZ is in reality a good thing it’s very easy to spin it as nanny state, green BS, extra tax. It happened in London under Labour, under Keir Starmer it’s coming to you.

So journos say to SKS “are you rolling out ULEZ everywhere?” If he says no then Londoners ask why they have it but nowhere else, if he says yes he’s fucked and if he tries some BS maybe answer he looks shifty.
    boulay said:

nico679 said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Negative messaging is easier - “Vote Labour and pay £12.50 a week to drive your car to town. Under Labour’s Mayor Khan Londoners are having to aly £x to drive their car on the roads they’ve already paid their road tax for.” It’s disingenuous but if you live in Stoke etc and you start thinking, “yes, that Labour guy who runs London is charging everyone a fortune to drive to work or shop” it’s not only a financial burden but nanny state - don’t tell me I can’t drive to the shops, pick up my kids from school without paying more money.

Whilst ULEZ is in reality a good thing it’s very easy to spin it as nanny state, green BS, extra tax. It happened in London under Labour, under Keir Starmer it’s coming to you.

So journos say to SKS “are you rolling out ULEZ everywhere?” If he says no then Londoners ask why they have it but nowhere else, if he says yes he’s fucked and if he tries some BS maybe answer he looks shifty.
    Well, he has pretty much said the former, or at least that Khan should rethink which is a cop out but politically it works.
    MattW said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Do you have any data to show that it true? - that is, small towns being non-compliant.

On a larger scale Central Nottingham, for example, seems to be compliant with the targets for NOx in the air (hence no ULEZ), which I would suggest has something to do with the 12-15 million trips a year on the tram network, and the 1,5 million on the light rail (both still recovering form the pandemic slump), and also their active travel efforts - which are smaller than eg London, but noticeable and prevent a lot of car journeys.

There is also a modest stick for businesses in that there is a workplace parking tax at £522 per employee parking space per year (2023 number) for iirc businesses that provide more than 10 employee parking spaces (blue badges exempt).
    I have absolutely no data and just guessing after a few beers before I go out so, and I would always recommend this, take everything I say as guesswork based on nothing but beer, stupidity or prejudice.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    EPG said:

West London.
  • I'm just feeling recovered now from a horrible day on Wednesday

I'd had Tuesday off as my first weekday off in a couple of weeks, even though I'd been asked to work to cover someone else's day off sick, I needed a weekday off to get some things done

So I had double mail on Wednesday. Not a problem, makes my day slightly longer so I earn a bit more - but relevant later

I'd got all of my postbox and customer collections done, and all of my specials except one delivered; but an hour to deliver that (so was noon) and about half an hour's posting to do before I got there

Then I got stung

I'm not sure what stung me. I'd just moved my bundle of mail from my left arm to my right to get my phone that had just buzzed in my pocket, when something landed on my right forearm. I grabbed the bundle back in my left arm and used it to brush off whatever had landed, and then felt the sting

I caught a glimpse of its backside as it buzzed off and it was either a very big wasp or a hornet. I was more worried about the pain in my arm than the taxonomy of its source, so I immediately looked down at my arm and saw a puncture in the skin. I've had wasp stings before and though horrible, I've just carried on in a bit of pain. So I carried on in a bit of pain

A few minutes later the area around the sting had swollen up a bit, which was no surprise. The next sensation was really bizarre; I got a really intense and quite painful itching feeling in the centres of my palms and the soles of my feet. It wasn't quite enough to stop me

I drove on to the next street, only about a hundred yards and got on with the job. Then I noticed I had big red hives in the middle of my palms, and spots appearing up both of my forearms. Then my eyes started itching and feeling like they were bulging

I looked in my wing mirror and my eyes, and all around them, were red. And the edges of my eyelids were swollen and sticking out, quite aggressively. I started to feel a bit woozy so sat down on the kerb. Then I saw that that spots had become a rash all over my arms and had at least reached my stomach

I stopped posting. I called the sorting office assistant manager (the manager is on holiday) after several attempts and a bit of staggering around - phone reception is awful in the new estate I was delivering to; BUILD MORE PHONE MASTS - I got the message through that I needed picking up

tbc
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089
    boulay said:

nico679 said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Negative messaging is easier - “Vote Labour and pay £12.50 a week to drive your car to town. Under Labour’s Mayor Khan Londoners are having to aly £x to drive their car on the roads they’ve already paid their road tax for.”
    I am not against the ULEZ charge but worth pointing out that it is not £12.50 a week. It is £12.50 a day.
    boulay said:

nico679 said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

One can go -ve the other way.

Why do we have ULEZ in the Outer Boroughs?

"Because your Conservative Council has sat on its butt and done NOTHING to reduce emissions, and causing your children to suffer from asthma when it is not necessary".

Unlike much of the stuff from Susan Hall and friends, that has the advantage of not being a presentation based on something that is true.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,037
    boulay said:

If there is one thing we have surely learnt from Brexit there is a lot of political capital in telling people to oppose something that might be in their best interests based on gut feel and small c conservatism so there is no reason why ULEZ cannot be made into an enemy of the people.

If the Tories put an ad on the side of buses saying that ULEZ is costing “you” £x per day and Labour want that money to spend on gender reassignment for small boat arrivals then it’s job done.

Compulsory gender reassignment of small boat arrivals could be the imaginative solution we've been yearning for. It could be done as part of a diversity and equality agenda. Who wants to live in a society in which women become an ever-smaller minority?

boulay said:

nico679 said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Negative messaging is easier - “Vote Labour and pay £12.50 a week to drive your car to town. Under Labour’s Mayor Khan Londoners are having to aly £x to drive their car on the roads they’ve already paid their road tax for.”
    I am not against the ULEZ charge but worth pointing out that it is not £12.50 a week. It is £12.50 a day.
    I sort of knew but figured it’s not going to be the same price everywhere in the country under our new ULEZ overlords. Not even my ULEZ overlords thinking about it, don’t know why I care!
    Coincidentally the 2019 general election result in London was 48% Labour and 32% Tory.

So if the ULEZ London poll was mirrored at a general election with all opponents voting Conservative and all supporters Labour, there would be a 0.5% swing from Labour to Conservative since 2019
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_United_Kingdom_general_election_in_England
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    FPT
    Leon said:

A question for the collective.

I’m on holiday - rented house.

As usual, the kitchen gear includes a cheap block of knifes. Unusually, there was a steel in the drawer.

Over a period of a week, I’ve sharpened one knife to what I refer to as useable. Slices through meat and fish cleanly, without effort.

It occurs to me that this is a dangerous thing. If you assume it’s the usual blunt thing…. Almost a bobby trap. But it seems very wrong to blunt a knife.

What should I do?

Leave a note

I’ve had the same experience as you, so many times: rented apartment/house = shitty knives. It gets quite annoying

Indeed as someone who travels endlessly I’ve learned to bring a couple of my own super sharp knives wherever I go. Simple Every Day Carry handknives, the Ontario Rat or something: sharpened to a hard edge

https://ontario-knife-store.com/rat-knives/

I also bring: a small fork, a small spoon, a proper corkscrew, a Swiss Army Knife, a multi tool, and a head torch. They all fit in a small bag like them ones they give away in Biz class

In another bag I always bring with me: a bottle of sriracha, a bottle of soy, a peppercorn grinder (full), sea salt (ditto), Tabasco

These can save almost any meal. I was pleased a few years ago to discover that Byron did the same on his travels. Brought spicy sauces from London to rescue bad meals. Kind of reverses expectations
    Right (cracks knuckles)

If you go to Boots you can get those little transparent plastic make-up bags that are easily repurposed thus:
    • Tbag 1: strong and weak antihistamines, painkillers, various disease-specific medications
    • Tbag 2: Oragel, bojela, clove oil, cotton buds
    • Tbag 3: shampoo, moisturising soap, allergen-free soap, hairbrush, toothbrush and paste, razors, washing-up liquid (always useful)
    • Tbag 4: three USB-C chargers, nail-clippers
    They go into Gobag 1, which contains the four Tbags, one medium Lenovo tablet, one wallet containing a map, facemask, lanyards and log-in details, another containing notes for that week's work. The external pockets includes an improving book (this month: Duty of Care by David Hennessy), a small bottle of Diet coke, and a telescopic umbrella

In Gobag 2 there is two laptops: one secure for secure work, one personal for non-secure work and personal use. The external pockets contain two brick chargers, a four-way plug, two mice and one set of earphones.

In right-hand internal coat pocket is the small Lenovo tablet and three pens which I get from the RSS conference each year

In left hand internal coat pocket is the wallet and phone.

Duplicate keys are in my trousers and coat. The ID badge goes around my neck with a plain lanyard to minimise the shitkicking in trains.

I can get packed in under 30 mins and I carry all that over one hundred miles twice a week via busy trains, which I hate with a passion.

Ya wusses.

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    HYUFD said:

Coincidentally the 2019 general election result in London was 48% Labour and 32% Tory.

So if the ULEZ London poll was mirrored at a general election with all opponents voting Conservative and all supporters Labour, there would be a 0.5% swing from Labour to Conservative since 2019

Harrow West could be interesting at the next election.

boulay said:

nico679 said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Oh, the proceeds will be used to fund public transport improvements. Or at least that's what TfL said in the letter they sent us.
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Plus a high British Indian vote like Uxbridge
    algarkirk said:

No.

But here's a plan B.They could always have a crack at 'getting hope' from governing the country really really well, with high levels of competence, consistency, honour, honesty, equity and transparency.

We could live in the sort of country where babies don't die in prison while being born because no-one was bothered to do anything at all to help the baby at birth. The sort of thing you also read about in horror stories of North Korean gulags.

1) But these things only effect a tiny percentage of people
    2) the goals of the organisation are noble. They even have an abstract piece of glass in the CEOs office proving it.
    3) therefore you are hater
    boulay said:

nico679 said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Negative messaging is easier - “Vote Labour and pay £12.50 a week to drive your car to town.
    £12.50 a DAY!

I'm just feeling recovered now from a horrible day on Wednesday

I'd had Tuesday off as my first weekday off in a couple of weeks, even though I'd been asked to work to cover someone else's day off sick, I needed a weekday off to get some things done

So I had double mail on Wednesday. Not a problem, makes my day slightly longer so I earn a bit more - but relevant later

I'd got all of my postbox and customer collections done, and all of my specials except one delivered; but an hour to deliver that (so was noon) and about half an hour's posting to do before I got there

Then I got stung

I'm not sure what stung me. I'd just moved my bundle of mail from my left arm to my right to get my phone that had just buzzed in my pocket, when something landed on my right forearm. I grabbed the bundle back in my left arm and used it to brush off whatever had landed, and then felt the sting

I caught a glimpse of its backside as it buzzed off and it was either a very big wasp or a hornet. I was more worried about the pain in my arm than the taxonomy of its source, so I immediately looked down at my arm and saw a puncture in the skin. I've had wasp stings before and though horrible, I've just carried on in a bit of pain. So I carried on in a bit of pain

A few minutes later the area around the sting had swollen up a bit, which was no surprise. The next sensation was really bizarre; I got a really intense and quite painful itching feeling in the centres of my palms and the soles of my feet. It wasn't quite enough to stop me

I drove on to the next street, only about a hundred yards and got on with the job. Then I noticed I had big red hives in the middle of my palms, and spots appearing up both of my forearms. Then my eyes started itching and feeling like they were bulging

I looked in my wing mirror and my eyes, and all around them, were red. And the edges of my eyelids were swollen and sticking out, quite aggressively. I started to feel a bit woozy so sat down on the kerb. Then I saw that that spots had become a rash all over my arms and had at least reached my stomach

I stopped posting. I called the sorting office assistant manager (the manager is on holiday) after several attempts and a bit of staggering around - phone reception is awful in the new estate I was delivering to; BUILD MORE PHONE MASTS - I got the message through that I needed picking up

tbc

I got picked up then had about twenty minutes at the sorting office as he called for assistance, by which time there was more rash than me, and I was having trouble breathing and swallowing. For the first time I was getting a bit worried about whether I'd actually survive

The first responder then arrived. He spent several minutes taking my vitals, and was running out of things to test, when the ambulance arrived. The two lovely lady paramedics did all the same tests and a few more, then gave me a an antihistamine shot that almost immediately cured the breathing and swallowing problems. Their friendliness, calm and professionalism made me able to relax for the first time in an hour

I went straight home and immediately slept for four hours, until six, and woke up still with the rash and my right forearm swollen like an anvil. I had a bit of dinner and went back to bed

I woke in the morning with rash gone and decided to go to work (I think I might have been somewhat delirious) and then had to do triple mail. It took me twelve and a half hours, I felt rough throughout, but got everything delivered

Only had to do nine and a half hours today. My next day off is Thursday
    Sympathy on that. What a horrible thing to happen. I'm glad that you recovered so sharply once treated.

Might be worthwhile to verify that it hasn't created an anaphylaxis or similar that may not have existed or is worse than it was before - and you need to keep treatment to hand.

I've never had it happen to me, but have seen similar with family members.
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Well, there aren't many constituencies quite like Harrow West. In fact there may well be only two or three, and Uxbridge is one of them.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,531
    FPT (apols) about knife sharpening - I've quite enjoyed this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/@Burrfection . Proper knife nerd.

boulay said:

Compulsory gender reassignment of small boat arrivals could be the imaginative solution we've been yearning for. It could be done as part of a diversity and equality agenda. Who wants to live in a society in which women become an ever-smaller minority?
    You can't gender reassign a small boat. All boats are "she". Silly person... :)
    viewcode said:

boulay said:

Especially if it’s a spare rib.
    viewcode said:

boulay said:

Russian and German culture - a ship is a “He”
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,531
    viewcode said:

FPT

Leon said:

As usual, the kitchen gear includes a cheap block of knifes. Unusually, there was a steel in the drawer.

Over a period of a week, I’ve sharpened one knife to what I refer to as useable. Slices through meat and fish cleanly, without effort.

It occurs to me that this is a dangerous thing. If you assume it’s the usual blunt thing…. Almost a bobby trap. But it seems very wrong to blunt a knife.

What should I do?

Leave a note

I’ve had the same experience as you, so many times: rented apartment/house = shitty knives. It gets quite annoying

Indeed as someone who travels endlessly I’ve learned to bring a couple of my own super sharp knives wherever I go. Simple Every Day Carry handknives, the Ontario Rat or something: sharpened to a hard edge

I also bring: a small fork, a small spoon, a proper corkscrew, a Swiss Army Knife, a multi tool, and a head torch. They all fit in a small bag like them ones they give away in Biz class

In another bag I always bring with me: a bottle of sriracha, a bottle of soy, a peppercorn grinder (full), sea salt (ditto), Tabasco

These can save almost any meal. I was pleased a few years ago to discover that Byron did the same on his travels. Brought spicy sauces from London to rescue bad meals. Kind of reverses expectations
    Right (cracks knuckles)

If you go to Boots you can get those little transparent plastic make-up bags that are easily repurposed thus:
    • Tbag 1: strong and weak antihistamines, painkillers, various disease-specific medications
    • Tbag 3: shampoo, moisturising soap, allergen-free soap, hairbrush, toothbrush and paste, razors, washing-up liquid (always useful)
    They go into Gobag 1, which contains the four Tbags, one medium Lenovo tablet, one wallet containing a map, facemask, lanyards and log-in details, another containing notes for that week's work. The external pockets includes an improving book (this month: Duty of Care by David Hennessy), a small bottle of Diet coke, and a telescopic umbrella

In Gobag 2 there is two laptops: one secure for secure work, one personal for non-secure work and personal use. The external pockets contain two brick chargers, a four-way plug, two mice and one set of earphones.

In right-hand internal coat pocket is the small Lenovo tablet and three pens which I get from the RSS conference each year

Duplicate keys are in my trousers and coat. The ID badge goes around my neck with a plain lanyard to minimise the shitkicking in trains.

I can get packed in under 30 mins and I carry all that over one hundred miles twice a week via busy trains, which I hate with a passion.

Ya wusses.

If you fancy a bit of knife-ogling, https://blenheimforge.co.uk/ is worth a poke. I've got one of their knives and.... it's lovely.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378

boulay said:

nico679 said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Oh, the proceeds will be used to fund public transport improvements. Or at least that's what TfL said in the letter they sent us.
    You have a level of public transport in London magnitudes better than the rest of the country, so you're not really going to get much sympathy talking about improvements.
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

So? Not all Indians vote for the same party!
    viewcode said:

boulay said:

Even ships named after blokes? Like HMS Princess of Wales?

boulay said:

nico679 said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

You have a level of public transport in London magnitudes better than the rest of the country, so you're not really going to get much sympathy talking about improvements.
    Not me, it was TfL talking about "improvements"!

viewcode said:

boulay said:

Das Schiff oder das Boot?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    edited July 2023
    algarkirk said:

No.

Or babies don't die soon after birth because Epping types insist on driving around in old diesels.
    edited July 2023

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

So? Not all Indians vote for the same party!
    You're all the same, it seems. Not that I agree.
    edited July 2023
    viewcode said:

FPT

Leon said:

What should I do?

Leave a note

Right (cracks knuckles)

Ya wusses.

That all sounds quite sensible.

My only comment would be wrt knives with blades that lock open may give trouble in eg Belgium, France, Germany, UK - and I assume that the knives at least go in hold luggage.

I've never taken one abroad, so I'll bow to Leon's experience on security checks.

For extreme weightsaving if that is your thing, Bikepackers are the ones to learn from !

viewcode said:

boulay said:

Fake news: ,,Die Bismarck"

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bismarck_(Schiff,_1939)
    edited July 2023
    boulay said:

MattW said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

I have absolutely no data and just guessing after a few beers before I go out so, and I would always recommend this, take everything I say as guesswork based on nothing but beer, stupidity or prejudice.
    Political Beering.

Not that I can speak - had most of a bottle of NZ white witrh some smoked salmon, aubergine, capers and pasta.

Edit: and shallots.
    Carnyx said:

boulay said:

MattW said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Political Beering.

Not that I can speak - had most of a bottle of NZ white witrh some smoked salmon, aubergine, capers and pasta.

Suspect there may be lists of Local Authorities in the Government docs that kicked all this off - there must be some criteria used.
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

boulay said:

MattW said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Political Beering.

Suspect there may be lists of Local Authorities in the Government docs that kicked all this off - there must be some criteria used.
    I suspect some junior party worker looked at that map we discussed the other day and saw all the orange and thought it must mean all the same level of pollution.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    MattW said:

viewcode said:

FPT

Leon said:

What should I do?

Leave a note

Right (cracks knuckles)

Ya wusses.

My only comment would be wrt knives with blades that lock open may give trouble in eg Belgium, France, Germany, UK - and I assume that the knives at least go in hold luggage.

I've never taken one abroad, so I'll bow to Leon's experience on security checks.

For extreme weightsaving if that is your thing, Bikepackers are the ones to learn from !
    Yep. Always in the hold. In a bright bag ideally. Easy to find

Forgot to add: I also bring a small metal cup. Amazingly useful

Leon said:

MattW said:

viewcode said:

FPT

Leon said:

What should I do?

Leave a note

Right (cracks knuckles)

Ya wusses.

I always wondered how pterodactyls drank.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Phil said:

HYUFD said:

RFK Jr. Is complaining about not having Secret Service protection, saying:

“Since the assassination of my father in 1968, candidates for president are provided Secret Service protection.  But not me.”

Here is a fact that he has left out though:

In the 2016 presidential election, out of the 20+ candidates in the primaries, only Donald Trump, Ben Carson, Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders received Secret Service protection.

Additionally I have not been able to find a single case of a candidate trying to primary an incumbent getting Secret Service protection in modern history.

A series of criteria must be met before taxpayers start footing hundreds of thousands of dollars in bills for a candidate. RFK Jr. appears to not have met that criteria.

It’s that simple.

https://twitter.com/krassenstein/status/1684973654063423509?s=46

Ben Carson got Secret Service protection after threats from militants, even though he did not end up in the last 2 for the 2016 GOP nomination unlike Trump and Cruz. So it depends on the threat level to presidential candidates as well as their campaign strength
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/19/donald-trump-ben-carson-secret-service-protection#:~:text=It said the Secret Service,be targeting a political candidate.
    It’s hard to believe that RFK’s use of 14:88 is accidental in his complaint tweet: https://twitter.com/RobertKennedyJr/status/1684909385376575488

A dog whistle to the far, far right?
    The current RFK is, sadly, a nutter but as a Kennedy it is hardly surprising that he might be a bit obsessive about security.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,252
    I suspect ULEZ supporters living in those five areas are effing furious about the money the Tory councils wasted on the judicial review. I know I would be.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    Evening all :)

To be fair, the campaign against ULEZ, led, not so much by the Conservative Party, but by elements in the media who seem a) resistant to the notion of climate change and b) very hostile to Sadiq Khan, has been a very successful example of how to engender fear and hostility among groups, many of whom won't be in any way affected by the coming of ULEZ.

The Conservatives have, quite late in the day and after being in Boris Johnson's time quite supportive of the concept, seized on ULEZ as the only stick with which they can beat Labour. After all, campaigning on their record in Government sounds like a really good move, doesn't it?

Since the U&SR by-election, Khan has been forced into putting more into the scrappage scheme but today's legal victory probably means it'll come to Outer London in the autumn - whether it will have much salience after introduction remains to be seen - it hasn't in Inner London.

As more people come to realise they won't be affected, it's going to be harder for the Conservatives to maintain the momentum of opposition .

I'd also add the news from so many other parts of the world strongly suggesting climate change is real and exists is going to concentrate a lot of minds. If I were looking at a long-term investment now, I'd be looking at coastal property in northern and western Scotland - I'd also start looking at a significant programme of infrastructure improvements because in 50 years time, I suspect a holiday in northern Scotland or the Western Isles is going to be very popular.

Not much to mention from either Omnisis or Techne - we've had seven polls since the by-elections and the Labour lead is around 20 points (between 17 and 23) so very little seems to have changed.
  • PeckPeck Posts: 517
    edited July 2023
    If they want to hit the drivers of ~10% of cars for being dirty polluters, why don't they do it using a higher rate of road tax?

It's as if they get off on ringing cities with signs saying "You are now entering ... Zone".
    Peck said:

If they want to hit the drivers of ~10% of cars for being dirty polluters, why don't they do it using a higher rate of road tax?

UKG powers. Not devolved to London, Scotland, etc. Driver and vehicle licensing are reserved.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    boulay said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

viewcode said:

FPT

Leon said:

What should I do?

Leave a note

Right (cracks knuckles)

Ya wusses.

That’s the Spyderco Tenacious. A magnificent knife. That particular one is ten years old and as good as new. Sharpens fast

I note they are now absurdly pricey. Mine cost about £25, now they are £75? Maybe illegal?

https://heinnie.com/spyderco-tenacious
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    nico679 said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Worth noting too that despite a rookie candidate and complete lack of belief in their own Mayors policy on ULEZ, they got a 7% swing, enough to put Starmer in number 10, albeit as a minority government.
    viewcode said:

FPT

Leon said:

What should I do?

Leave a note

Right (cracks knuckles)

Ya wusses.
    I pack an umbrella that doubles a sword. So I don't have to bother with a corkscrew, but then I'm a master of sabrage.
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

viewcode said:

FPT

Leon said:

What should I do?

Leave a note

Right (cracks knuckles)

Ya wusses.

That’s the Spyderco Tenacious. A magnificent knife. That particular one is ten years old and as good as new. Sharpens fast

I note they are now absurdly pricey. Mine cost about £25, now they are £75? Maybe illegal?

This is my “grab-bag” for the zombie apocalypse- there isn’t a knife in this set that won’t be useful/horrific!

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

UKG powers. Not devolved to London, Scotland, etc. Driver and vehicle licensing are reserved.
    That's what I mean - why doesn't the government do it?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

viewcode said:

FPT

Leon said:

What should I do?

Leave a note

Right (cracks knuckles)

Ya wusses.

This is the list of banned knives. Not entirely sure if this would be deemed to fall into one of these categories:
    https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives#Basic laws on knives and weapons
    Peck said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

That's what I mean - why doesn't the government do it?
    Quite. Look who's in charge right now.
    Peck said:

It's as if they get off on ringing cities with signs saying "You are now entering ... Zone".

They do. Car tax varies with pollution and also by age. Ironically older diesels are cheaper if registered before 2017, but are the most likely to be ULEZ noncompliance.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-registered-on-or-after-1-march-2001
    boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

viewcode said:

FPT

Leon said:

What should I do?

Leave a note

Right (cracks knuckles)

Ya wusses.

This is my “grab-bag” for the zombie apocalypse- there isn’t a knife in this set that won’t be useful/horrific!

"Sort your fucking life out, Shaun!"
    Peck said:

You're missing the point - it's not about hitting the drivers, it's about reducing the number of polluting car journeys in London.

Car sharing, using public transport, wfh, replacing a polluting car with a ULEZ-compliant model, these are all ways people can reduce pollution and reduce any ULEZ charges they might face.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Food for thought...

https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1684958948443447296

Michael Rosen 💙💙🎓🎓
    @MichaelRosenYes
    7/ Meanwhile, as the actors' strike is telling us, it can't be long before we could go to a movie about a long-dead guy like Oppenheimer and AI has reconstructed him from photos and film of the time. Oppenheimer played by Oppenheimer!
  • I can't believe how little cricket talk there is

This match is set up beautifully: three days (minus weather) for two innings

I think we need to bat all day tomorrow and we'll win
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Foxy said:

Peck said:

They do. Car tax varies with pollution and also by age. Ironically older diesels are cheaper if registered before 2017, but are the most likely to be ULEZ noncompliance.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-registered-on-or-after-1-march-2001
    I had a 2013 Hyundai i40 diesel which was Euro 5 so non compliant for ULEZ and road tax was just £30.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    This is a big deal in part because Streeting is extremely politically astute. He's a very reliable indicator of the way the wind is blowing. Well bloody done to all the women who've got things here, keep going!

https://twitter.com/HJoyceGender/status/1685014637480124416?s=20

Wes Streeting apologises to Rosie Duffield for treatment by Labour over gender views

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/28/wes-streeting-apologises-to-labour-mp-rosie-duffield-who-felt-ostracised-due-to-gender-views?CMP=share_btn_tw
    tlg86 said:

Food for thought...

Michael Rosen 💙💙🎓🎓
    @MichaelRosenYes
    7/ Meanwhile, as the actors' strike is telling us, it can't be long before we could go to a movie about a long-dead guy like Oppenheimer and AI has reconstructed him from photos and film of the time. Oppenheimer played by Oppenheimer!

I haven't seen the film yet, and no particular desire to see Oppenheimer, but isn't part of their success down to conventional special effects rather than AI?
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

I can't believe how little cricket talk there is

Because we’re all shitting ourselves and scared of jinxing it. I hate the ashes, until I love them.
  • TimS said:

Because we’re all shitting ourselves and scared of jinxing it. I hate the ashes, until I love them.
    How many people have the jinxing powers?

This is a big deal in part because Streeting is extremely politically astute. He's a very reliable indicator of the way the wind is blowing. Well bloody done to all the women who've got things here, keep going!

Wes Streeting apologises to Rosie Duffield for treatment by Labour over gender views

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/28/wes-streeting-apologises-to-labour-mp-rosie-duffield-who-felt-ostracised-due-to-gender-views?CMP=share_btn_tw

My local MP, that Wes :)
    Counter-intuitive note about the French.

I have a family staying from Limoges this weekend. Friends of friends, never met them before. I gave them (bien sur) some English wine: a Nyetimber 2015 blanc de blancs, along with - of course - shepherds pie.

This is the nth time I’ve either talked about or given English wine to French people. They are never surprised, they don’t turn their noses up, they don’t even go the other way and feign fascination. They approach it like they might approach say Croatian or Greek wine. Slightly exotic but to be respected.

Every time this happens it shocks me. Compare that with Germans. Several times I’ve talked about or attempted to proffer English wine to Germans. Each time utter disbelief and amused bafflement. Sniggering at the back. Fundamentally unserious. Same with the Italians. Laughter and mockery.

Why? Is it that France is that much closer to us so they can do the mental maths to add a few decades of climate change on to champagne? Is it that France has a similar attitude to all foreign impersonations of actual proper wine that England is just another vin étranger? Are they just more polite?

You’d think the French would by reputation be THE most dismissive of English wine but time after time they’re not at all.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,541
    Foxy said:

Peck said:

Slightly different things, though- VED is about carbon dioxide, ULEZ is about smoke.

In terms of the political effect, interesting seats probably need to do two things.

First is to be outer, outer London- nearer the M25 than the North/South Circular. That's OK, because that's where most Conservative seats are. But in somewhere like Finchley & Golders Green, opposing ULEZ probably harms Conservative chances.

Second is to be marginal enough for the ULEZ effect to flip the result. Most of the remaining Conservative seats have stonking enough majorities to not really be in play. If the national picture were different, perhaps Dagenham & Rainham comes into play if the Brexit vote from 2019 falls into the Conservative column, but otherwise?

I think probably Labour’s next leader, unless they take a big change of direction.

TimS said:

How many people have the jinxing powers?
    Basically anyone who doesn’t think they have, and can’t keep their gob shut.
    TimS said:

I think probably Labour’s next leader, unless they take a big change of direction.
    Can a wind vane be a leader?

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Food for thought...

Michael Rosen 💙💙🎓🎓
    @MichaelRosenYes

I haven't seen the film yet, and no particular desire to see Oppenheimer, but isn't part of their success down to conventional special effects rather than AI?
    Unfortunately, yes. Nolan is famous for doing everything in camera if and when he can, which is why his films look really real. But it can lead to weirdness: the Dunkirk in "Dunkirk" is obviously 21st century Dunkirk, for example. In "Oppenheimer" he recreates the nuke with conventional explosives, and with the best will in the world the explosion is obviously *not* a real nuke.

I can't believe how little cricket talk there is...

Shhh. People will start talking about it again... :)

[Sorry to hear earlier about your health problems, btw]

TimS said:

I have a family staying from Limoges this weekend. Friends of friends, never met them before. I gave them (bien sur) some English wine: a Nyetimber 2015 blanc de blancs, along with - of course - shepherds pie.

This is the nth time I’ve either talked about or given English wine to French people. They are never surprised, they don’t turn their noses up, they don’t even go the other way and feign fascination. They approach it like they might approach say Croatian or Greek wine. Slightly exotic but to be respected.

Every time this happens it shocks me. Compare that with Germans. Several times I’ve talked about or attempted to proffer English wine to Germans. Each time utter disbelief and amused bafflement. Sniggering at the back. Fundamentally unserious. Same with the Italians. Laughter and mockery.

Why? Is it that France is that much closer to us so they can do the mental maths to add a few decades of climate change on to champagne? Is it that France has a similar attitude to all foreign impersonations of actual proper wine that England is just another vin étranger? Are they just more polite?

You’d think the French would by reputation be THE most dismissive of English wine but time after time they’re not at all.

Because the French people generally know about wine. And that the “only French wine is real wine” is horseshit from the domestic industry. Who have lost several markers as a result.

Many Germans simply buy into the French Is The Only Wine thing.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643

Not much talk about the King George at Ascot tomorrow either.

I'm on WESTOVER each way at 20/1.
    Peck said:

I pack an umbrella that doubles a sword.

I'm impressed. And worried. But also impressed... :)

Peck said:

You're missing the point - it's not about hitting the drivers, it's about reducing the number of polluting car journeys in London.

Car sharing, using public transport, wfh, replacing a polluting car with a ULEZ-compliant model, these are all ways people can reduce pollution and reduce any ULEZ charges they might face.
    But if you pay, you can still drive and thereby NOT reduce pollution!
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Food for thought...

Michael Rosen 💙💙🎓🎓
    @MichaelRosenYes

Unfortunately, yes. Nolan is famous for doing everything in camera if and when he can, which is why his films look really real. But it can lead to weirdness: the Dunkirk in "Dunkirk" is obviously 21st century Dunkirk, for example. In "Oppenheimer" he recreates the nuke with conventional explosives, and with the best will in the world the explosion is obviously *not* a real nuke.
    I'm sure you spotted this error...

MattW said:

viewcode said:

Right (cracks knuckles)

Ya wusses.
    That all sounds quite sensible....For extreme weightsaving if that is your thing, Bikepackers are the ones to learn from !
    Thank you; I'll bear it in mind. :)

Foxy said:

TimS said:

The current one is.....
    edited July 2023
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

There are people who stop from time to time to acknowledge what the other side think, and people who just look at polls and decide what to say. I think Wes is the former. So is Lisa Nandy, my favourite Labourite. I think he gets the trans issue from both sides and is an intelligent triangulator. He’s gay himself and immersed in queer culture, but I think because of that he probably feels he’s able to do the Nixon in China thing and reach across the aisle.
    TimS said:

Is it that France is that much closer to us so they can do the mental maths to add a few decades of climate change on to champagne?

They're already here:

While it may be too soon to say there is a corner of England that is forever France, there is certainly a Gallic thrust towards coming over here and buying up our vineyards.

And with good reason, say the experts, with England’s southern counties being in the vanguard of a boom in sparkling wine production that rivals the best champagne made 100 miles across the Channel.

Leading champagne houses have been snapping up land in southern England, where the chalky soils – similar to those in northern France, and changing climate are yielding top-class bubbly. And the production of top quality red wines may not be far behind.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/heatwave-english-england-sparkling-wine-boom-french-champagne-uk-vineyards-1814496

Foxy said:

TimS said:

The current one is.....
    Sunak? Sadly I think he actually believes some of the shit he spouts.

TimS said:

Because the French people generally know about wine. And that the “only French wine is real wine” is horseshit from the domestic industry. Who have lost several markers as a result.

Many Germans simply buy into the French Is The Only Wine thing.
    The Germans are well into their own wines, and glug Italian vino by the gallon. But it’s certainly true you don’t see much new world or exotica there. A bit like the stifling effect the purity laws have had on craft beer there perhaps.
This discussion has been closed.