Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Sunak continues to struggle with favourability – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Penddu2 said:

Dont believe anyone who tells you that it is cold in the desert at night.... (some maybe...but not in the Gulf)

Had frost on the tent in the Sahara.

In January.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572
    Andy_JS said:
    In the self-description:

I sometimes post comments on the Guardian's "Comment is Free" under the name "snowflake". I usually vote Labour (though I voted Lib Dem at the last election as a protest but I've got over it and come back home).
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Penddu2 said:

Dont believe anyone who tells you that it is cold in the desert at night.... (some maybe...but not in the Gulf)

Not in the summer! It can get cold in the winter though.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    Republican congresswoman accused of hypocrisy for anti-abortion vote

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/15/nancy-mace-abortion-vote-hypocrisy-republicans
    The fallout from the decision by House Republicans to include a divisive anti-abortion measure in Friday’s defense spending vote has snared the South Carolina congresswoman Nancy Mace, who has been accused of hypocrisy for voting for it.

On Thursday, Mace, who has frequently been at odds with her party over its abortion stance, launched a profanity-laced tirade apparently against the inclusion of an amendment that would block the reimbursement of travel costs for military members who seek the procedure.

“It’s an asshole move, an asshole amendment,” she told aides in an elevator, according to Politico.

“We should not be taking this fucking vote, man. Fuck.”

She voted for it anyway...
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Penddu2 said:

Penddu2 said:

Penddu2 said:

lightweights...

34 at night???
    Oh yes....delighful.....and soaring humidity
    This is weather right now...look at humidity and real-feel!!!

When I was last in Bangkok if “felt like” 56-58C

Absolutely horrible. And dangerous

I believe this is the first time in my life I’ve checked temps in Europe to see if they are “too hot” for agreeable travel. It is happening right here right now
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Casting my eye over the weather model output I’d say the best place for a holiday in Europe this coming week is Galicia from the Rias Baixas down into Northern Portugal.

26-28C maxes with fresh nights in the mid teens, warm sea water lapping those white granite beaches. Ideal for a drop of Albariño or Vinho Verde.

Or quite high up in the Swiss Alps, Dolomites, Tatras

I’m off to Poland where it will be warm but not, I hope, roasting
    Poland looks very decent for the next week.
    Shame Poland is a tiny bit boring. But maybe I can find some more excitement *nearby*
    It’s been a beautiful day here today, but I think we get your leftover crap weather here tomorrow…

The cannons (dog for scale) next to a monument to some minor victory the Norwegians scored against two British warships during Napoleonic times….
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    edited July 2023

No mention of Wimbledon.

Congrats to Marketa Vondrousova, first unseeded Ladies' champion!

No mention of Wimbledon.

Congrats to Marketa Vondousova, first unseeded Ladies' champion!
    Have they a fresh fish stall there?
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

PJH said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Regarding Squareroot's view that things were equally bad, or worse in 2010: I appreciate that this is a not uncommon view.

Never mind attacking Sunak, Labour should produce a set of posters and adverts which clearly paint the picture of how much better the period 1997-2010 was for the UK than 2010-2023/24 has been. It really wouldn't be hard, some simple graphs or simple statements of things like:

- NHS waiting times
    - Real income
    - Debt (seriously, who'd have thought would be a higher share of GDP now than in 2010?)
    - Growth
    - Inflation
    - Immigration
    - House ownership %
    - Days lost to strikes

I am sure PBers can think of a few others (number of Cabinet members prosecuted?)

You'd have to exclude the 2008-10 period.

The economy was in better shape, pre-2008, than now.
    Not only that but ignore the effects of Brexit, covid and war in Ukraine all in the last 3 years, which are the unique drivers to where we are today
    More excuses than a pregnant nun!
    Hard to face reality then
    I'm sure you were arguing that we should ignore the Global Financial Crisis when thinking about howe to vote back in 2010, Big_G ;-)

In truth, every government faces unexpected events. Labour had 9/11, 7/7 and the GFC; Tories had Brexit, Covid, Ukraine.
    But Brexit was entirely of the Conservative Government's making.

You can't put that down as an "act of God" unless your god is called Boris Johnson.
    Indeed true, but Big_G was using it as a reason for the Tories utter screw-up of the economy over the past 13 years, so I allowed him that one.

Some Tories, of course, still cling to the idea that the GFC was all Labour's fault (in which case they had a mighty impressive ability to influence the global economy).

Bottom line though, are there any PB posters, of whatever persuasion, who think the Tories have managed the economy at all well?
    I'd say that their economic management has been about average, for rich world governments, from 2010 to date.

Almost every rich country has been dealt a rotten hand, over the past 13 years.

Real criticism of the government lies elsewhere, IMHO. The corruption, the infighting, and the very odd sense of priorities, in terms of public spending. The almost wilful ineptititude with which they run institutions.
    I am curious about how the Tories get their reputation for good management of the economy? In my adult lifetime the only period of sustained econmic growth has come under Labour (1997-2007).

I entered adulthood in the Thatcher years in the middle of a long recession. I started work on 1988 on a slight economic upswing from a low base but by the time we got to February 1989 things were on the down again and my friends seeking work a year behind me all really struggled to find jobs. We also had a burst of 10% inflation.

The early 90s were grim, we fell out of the ERM, there was a property bust, and I lost my job twice in that period, and of my friends wasn't alone. I will concede that having made a complete pig's ear of everything Major and Clarke provided a steadier hand at the tiller from about 94 onwards but by then their reputation was in tatters anyway.

The we get to 2010. I felt at the time that some austerity was needed for a while to balance the books. It was probably too much for too long even under the coalition, but once the restraining had of the LDs was removed it has been an utter shitshow.

On the other hand under Labour not only did the economy grow, the public realm also visibly improved. The GFC revealed that they hadn't been attentive enough in building up reserves for a rainy day, as in fact they had done in the first few years. But overall 1997-2010 is a far better record than anything the Tories can point at, without even having to bother to look up statistics.

Looking at the current Labour leadership, Starmer seems more of a conservative than anyone in the current Conservative Party. Yet "everyone" is scared of Labour trashing the economy. Why?
    Well Thatcher did cut strikes, slash the top income tax rate, rejuvinate Docklands, expand working class property ownership via council house sales and privatise inefficient nationalise industries. Major cut inflation.

Unemployment now at 4% half the 8% unemployment Labour left in 2010
    AKA:

Took away workers' rights
    Gave tax cuts to the rich
    Allowed the proceeds of a bullion robbery to be laundered through property development
    Sold off public assets on the cheap
    Sold off even more public assets on the cheap and pissed away the money
    Could you give me an example of a public asset sold cheaply?
    Council house. Much more cheaply than any discount for sitting tenant would justify.

And, more recently, up north - vide Private Eye on Teesside.
    Most privatization was done at low prices in order to allow profits to those who stagged the issue, BT nearly doubled for example.
    are you saying the price wasn't deer enough?
    It was a great way to make quick doe
    But the greedy ones who made multiple applications, or bought council houses through paper reps, roed the day when they were caught out.

(It seemed very odd to see MPs etc. risking careers for a few hundred quid's worth of shares, as I recall.)

I'm regretting starting these deer puns.

I hope they end veni soon.
    People will see red
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    Wallace confirms he will stand down as Defence Secretary at the next reshuffle and as an MP at the next GE, no by election.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ben-wallace-im-resigning-from-politics-next-cabinet-reshuffle-2023-k0x9st2rt
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Wallace confirms he will stand down as Defence Secretary at the next reshuffle and as an MP at the next GE, no by election.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ben-wallace-im-resigning-from-politics-next-cabinet-reshuffle-2023-k0x9st2rt

Don’t blame him really.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    Nigelb said:

Republican congresswoman accused of hypocrisy for anti-abortion vote

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/15/nancy-mace-abortion-vote-hypocrisy-republicans
    The fallout from the decision by House Republicans to include a divisive anti-abortion measure in Friday’s defense spending vote has snared the South Carolina congresswoman Nancy Mace, who has been accused of hypocrisy for voting for it.

On Thursday, Mace, who has frequently been at odds with her party over its abortion stance, launched a profanity-laced tirade apparently against the inclusion of an amendment that would block the reimbursement of travel costs for military members who seek the procedure.

“It’s an asshole move, an asshole amendment,” she told aides in an elevator, according to Politico.

“We should not be taking this fucking vote, man. Fuck.”

She voted for it anyway...

Not sure what the point of the comments were if not followed up by action. It just makes them look super weak, If abstaining for voting against was politically not an option for her, or too bold for her, better to say nothing.

More interesting to me is the legislative process that results in such unconnected things to be included on a defense bill.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 680
    Leon said:

Penddu2 said:

Penddu2 said:

Penddu2 said:

lightweights...

34 at night???
    Oh yes....delighful.....and soaring humidity
    This is weather right now...look at humidity and real-feel!!!

When I was last in Bangkok if “felt like” 56-58C

Absolutely horrible. And dangerous

I believe this is the first time in my life I’ve checked temps in Europe to see if they are “too hot” for agreeable travel. It is happening right here right now
    The worst weather I ever experienced was in Hong Kong - temperature only around 36 but with 95% humidity. I honestly thought I was going to die....

Yes yes, rats leaving a sinking ship and all that, but only about 1/4 of the Cabinet were MPs before 2010, Wallace included, so he's practically a veteran compared to most of them.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    kle4 said:

Yes yes, rats leaving a sinking ship and all that, but only about 1/4 of the Cabinet were MPs before 2010, Wallace included, so he's practically a veteran compared to most of them.
    Sunak's facing Brown's problem - nobody of talent is willing to serve, even if there were enough around in the Commons.

I wonder how many peers will be in his Cabinet after the next reshuffle?
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    Taz said:

Don’t blame him really.
    That probably says a lot about the current situation that he feels it’s best to get out
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

PJH said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Regarding Squareroot's view that things were equally bad, or worse in 2010: I appreciate that this is a not uncommon view.

Never mind attacking Sunak, Labour should produce a set of posters and adverts which clearly paint the picture of how much better the period 1997-2010 was for the UK than 2010-2023/24 has been. It really wouldn't be hard, some simple graphs or simple statements of things like:

- NHS waiting times
    - Real income
    - Debt (seriously, who'd have thought would be a higher share of GDP now than in 2010?)
    - Growth
    - Inflation
    - Immigration
    - House ownership %
    - Days lost to strikes

I am sure PBers can think of a few others (number of Cabinet members prosecuted?)

Not only that but ignore the effects of Brexit, covid and war in Ukraine all in the last 3 years, which are the unique drivers to where we are today
    I'm sure you were arguing that we should ignore the Global Financial Crisis when thinking about howe to vote back in 2010, Big_G ;-)

In truth, every government faces unexpected events. Labour had 9/11, 7/7 and the GFC; Tories had Brexit, Covid, Ukraine.

You can't put that down as an "act of God" unless your god is called Boris Johnson.
    Indeed true, but Big_G was using it as a reason for the Tories utter screw-up of the economy over the past 13 years, so I allowed him that one.

Some Tories, of course, still cling to the idea that the GFC was all Labour's fault (in which case they had a mighty impressive ability to influence the global economy).

Bottom line though, are there any PB posters, of whatever persuasion, who think the Tories have managed the economy at all well?
    I'd say that their economic management has been about average, for rich world governments, from 2010 to date.

Real criticism of the government lies elsewhere, IMHO. The corruption, the infighting, and the very odd sense of priorities, in terms of public spending. The almost wilful ineptititude with which they run institutions.
    I am curious about how the Tories get their reputation for good management of the economy? In my adult lifetime the only period of sustained econmic growth has come under Labour (1997-2007).

I entered adulthood in the Thatcher years in the middle of a long recession. I started work on 1988 on a slight economic upswing from a low base but by the time we got to February 1989 things were on the down again and my friends seeking work a year behind me all really struggled to find jobs. We also had a burst of 10% inflation.

The early 90s were grim, we fell out of the ERM, there was a property bust, and I lost my job twice in that period, and of my friends wasn't alone. I will concede that having made a complete pig's ear of everything Major and Clarke provided a steadier hand at the tiller from about 94 onwards but by then their reputation was in tatters anyway.

The we get to 2010. I felt at the time that some austerity was needed for a while to balance the books. It was probably too much for too long even under the coalition, but once the restraining had of the LDs was removed it has been an utter shitshow.

On the other hand under Labour not only did the economy grow, the public realm also visibly improved. The GFC revealed that they hadn't been attentive enough in building up reserves for a rainy day, as in fact they had done in the first few years. But overall 1997-2010 is a far better record than anything the Tories can point at, without even having to bother to look up statistics.

Looking at the current Labour leadership, Starmer seems more of a conservative than anyone in the current Conservative Party. Yet "everyone" is scared of Labour trashing the economy. Why?
    Well Thatcher did cut strikes, slash the top income tax rate, rejuvinate Docklands, expand working class property ownership via council house sales and privatise inefficient nationalise industries. Major cut inflation.

AKA:

Allowed the proceeds of a bullion robbery to be laundered through property development
    And squandered all the proceeds from North Sea Oil.
    Used the proceeds from North Sea Oil to deal with the transformation and modernisation of the economy away from uncompetitive heavy industries.
    Uh-huh? Good job Germany had all that North Sea Oil too then.
    Germany had an industrial base that had been completely rebuilt by the allies only 30 years earlier. There really was no comparison.
    Is there then, in your opinion, any possible comparable country? If not, it's hard to prove your incorrect argument without a window into the alternative universe where a UK PM made sensible use of the North Sea Oil bonanza.
    Again, looking at it in isolation is not realistic. In comparison with the rest of Europe the UK went from 'the sick man of Europe' in the late 70s to one of the leading economies at the end of the 80s. We did make sensible use of North Sea oil. The alternative was to continue as a backward, failing, deindustrialising nation ruled by the unions and facing unsustainable challenges from the rest of the world.

Did Thatcher do everything (or even most) things right? No. But on the transformation of the economy on a national scale she was spot on.
    Rubbish , it was stolen from Scotland and used to upgrade London and fill arseholes pockets.
    How many people who served in Johnson's cabinet will be leaving parliament imminently?

Johnson himself, Javid, Wallace, Dorries, Hancock, I think Sharma, presumably Truss.

Any reports on Patel, Zahawi, Williamson, Shapps?
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Sunak's facing Brown's problem - nobody of talent is willing to serve, even if there were enough around in the Commons.

I wonder how many peers will be in his Cabinet after the next reshuffle?
    Oh, he'll find some people - look at those people who stepped in after Boris's reshuffle even when it was clear the writing was on the wall.

I imagine Ben can see Defence is not going to get its act together under him, there won't be big increases, he's not getting a better job, and they are going to lose, so it's fair to wonder what the point of staying around is.

Taz said:

Don’t blame him really.
    That probably says a lot about the current situation that he feels it’s best to get out
    This is shitty behaviour. If he had any sense of duty to Ukraine he would hang in there, the point of standing down as minister now is it starts the clock on the 2 years before he is allowed to go and work for Big Armscorp Inc. Very disappointing.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544
    Miklosvar said:

https://news.sky.com/story/axing-of-inheritance-tax-is-some-way-off-but-much-depends-on-the-tories-fortunes-12921425

"We're not talking imminent legislation or a pre-election Budget giveaway. This is one - potentially - for the manifesto, in a bid to win back those disgruntled Tory voters in the shires and the so-called "blue wall".

And the official response from Number 10 has been lukewarm, to say the least. It's "future-scoping speculation", Number 10 told Sky News, and "requires a different kind of economic environment to the one we're operating in"."

Pure kite flying.

Suspect voters don't really do gratitude for goodies received as much as anticipation of goodies to come.

Are pre election tax cuts all they are cracked up to be?
    Darren Jones should be Business Secretary not that roaster Kemi Badenoch.

I an so angry reading this story about the Post Office scandal.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-massive-and-shameful-post-office-scandal-just-keeps-growing-7rtqvd0kc
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    ydoethur said:

How many people who served in Johnson's cabinet will be leaving parliament imminently?

Johnson himself, Javid, Wallace, Dorries, Hancock, I think Sharma, presumably Truss.

Yes. They're all totally useless.

ydoethur said:

Yes. They're all totally useless.
    That's a little generous - useless might merely mean they are not very effective, rather than detrimental in their effect.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-massive-and-shameful-post-office-scandal-just-keeps-growing-7rtqvd0kc

Give Kemi a break. She's too busy ordering Ofsted to inspect any school where there's a dodgy lesson.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,022
    edited July 2023
    Good evening

The news of Ben Wallace standing down is not really a surprise as he wanted the NATO role so hardly committed to a career in politics

He was very much a Johnson supporter, and looking at the future for additional defence spending it is bleak and I expect he will land a very good position in private business once out of politics

The membership will have to look for someone else as he topped their poll in ConHome but that does not fill me with any confidence

Give Kemi a break. She's too busy ordering Ofsted to inspect any school where there's a dodgy lesson.
    Only morons think she's any good which is why I worry she might be the next Tory leader.
    So I'm not giving you the cashless society thread tomorrow.

However if anyone annoys me over the next week I will publish it next weekend.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    ydoethur said:

Q - How many people who served in Johnson's cabinet will be leaving parliament imminently?

A - Not enough.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

Only morons think she's any good which is why I worry she might be the next Tory leader.
    That's why she will be the next Tory Leader....
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    kle4 said:

Another one off the next leader list.

I couldn't really see his appeal, but I struggle with Tory leaders betting because I don't really see the appeal of any of them.
  • PeckPeck Posts: 517
    edited July 2023
    kle4 said:

He's not a rat leaving a sinking ship. He stepped out of line.
    What's most likely is this:

1. He got the sack.
    2. He said "F*** you - if you sack me, I'll resign my seat and then I'll go around saying stuff in TV studios".
    3. They said "OK, here's the compromise: you stay put at Defence until the reshuffle, and you stay put in your seat until the election. Any questions?"

Don't expect many pols or journalists now to ask whether aid and weapons that are sent to a mafia state (and in this case, to one that's undergoing quite an upheaval) always go where they're supposed to go...without any powerful figures taking a cream off or misdirecting or misappropriating anything for personal enrichment...

Don't expect them to comment on Zelensky's gall in demanding this and that from other countries, which seems to have increased in the past few weeks.

Hard to think of any previous case of a country demanding to be allowed into a club. Britain didn't do it when De Gaulle told them their tongues had a brown version of the stars and stripes on and therefore they wouldn't be welcome in the EEC.

Did you see Wallace said he had to go on an 11 hour drive just to be presented with a list? That's what the Amazon comment was a response to.
    Miklosvar said:

Taz said:

Don’t blame him really.
    This is shitty behaviour. If he had any sense of duty to Ukraine he would hang in there, the point of standing down as minister now is it starts the clock on the 2 years before he is allowed to go and work for Big Armscorp Inc. Very disappointing.
    So perhaps UK Defense Secretary was NOT as great a candidate to lead NATO, as PB peanut gallery thought?
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    Peck said:

kle4 said:

1. He got the sack.
    2. He said "F*** you - if you sack me, I'll resign my seat and then I'll go around saying stuff in TV studios".
    3. They said "OK, here's the compromise: you stay put at Defence until the reshuffle, and you stay put in your seat until the election. Any questions?"

Don't expect many pols or journalists now to ask whether aid and weapons sent to a mafia state (and in this case, one that's undergoing quite an upheaval) always go where they're supposed to go...

...or to comment on Zelensky's gall in demanding this and that from other countries.

Did you see Wallace said he had to go on an 11 hour drive just to be presented with a list? That's what the Amazon comment was a response to.
    Your wee pal in Moscow has been running a gangster state for 20 years, stealing parts of its neighbours' countries.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089
    malcolmg said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

PJH said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

- NHS waiting times
    - Real income
    - Growth
    - Inflation
    - Immigration
    - House ownership %
    - Days lost to strikes

AKA:

Used the proceeds from North Sea Oil to deal with the transformation and modernisation of the economy away from uncompetitive heavy industries.
    Germany had an industrial base that had been completely rebuilt by the allies only 30 years earlier. There really was no comparison.
    Is there then, in your opinion, any possible comparable country? If not, it's hard to prove your incorrect argument without a window into the alternative universe where a UK PM made sensible use of the North Sea Oil bonanza.
    Again, looking at it in isolation is not realistic. In comparison with the rest of Europe the UK went from 'the sick man of Europe' in the late 70s to one of the leading economies at the end of the 80s. We did make sensible use of North Sea oil. The alternative was to continue as a backward, failing, deindustrialising nation ruled by the unions and facing unsustainable challenges from the rest of the world.

Did Thatcher do everything (or even most) things right? No. But on the transformation of the economy on a national scale she was spot on.
    Rubbish , it was stolen from Scotland and used to upgrade London and fill arseholes pockets.
    Hahahahahahahaha

You know I like you Malc and that I support Scottish independence but you do say some very silly things sometimes.
    edited July 2023
    eek said:

That's why she will be the next Tory Leader....
    If the new leader takes over after an election loss, maybe Kemi.

If they take over before the election, Penny.
    edited July 2023
    EPG said:

Peck said:

kle4 said:

1. He got the sack.

Don't expect many pols or journalists now to ask whether aid and weapons sent to a mafia state (and in this case, one that's undergoing quite an upheaval) always go where they're supposed to go...

...or to comment on Zelensky's gall in demanding this and that from other countries.

Your wee pal in Moscow has been running a gangster state for 20 years, stealing parts of its neighbours' countries.
    Yawn. Russia is indeed a mafia state too. Well done for realising.

Once upon a time, lots of aid money went to the collapsing USSR. What I said applies to that too.
    Obv.
    edited July 2023
    Peck said:

kle4 said:

1. He got the sack.

Ukraine is facing existential crisis as a result of an invasion, they are utterly dependent on foreign assistance to survive and they know that, so have to tread a difficult line of pushing for things, even whilst displaying appropriate gratitude for what they have received, and try to demonstrate sufficient military and civil progress to encourage those sending support to keep doing so. I certainly do not begrudge their leadership for finding that very trying, and not always getting it right as far as diplomatic language goes. We won't and haven't given them all they want or need, and that is going to continue.

As for your aid and weapons comment, no one pretends Ukraine as a state has not had corruption issues before, but I feel pretty confident the americans in particular and the West in general is keeping a very close eye on what is happening with the military assets that have been set - if there was any major shenanigans going on there, they'd be slow rolling new supplies a lot more than they have.

Miklosvar said:

Taz said:

Don’t blame him really.
    So perhaps UK Defense Secretary was NOT as great a candidate to lead NATO, as PB peanut gallery thought?
    I don't really understand the snide point about peanut galleries here - a UK defence secretary seems like a perfectly credible candidate, and there was plenty of media talk of him being at least in the running, so why wouldn't be mention how he might be a good candidate? But be it his own qualities or political imperatives it seemed fairly early on it would go to someone else (I believe my initial reflection on it was I assume they'd like a female candidate, as there hasn't been one before).

malcolmg said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

PJH said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

- NHS waiting times
    - Real income
    - Growth
    - Inflation
    - Immigration
    - House ownership %
    - Days lost to strikes

AKA:

Hahahahahahahaha

You know I like you Malc and that I support Scottish independence but you do say some very silly things sometimes.
    Sometimes?
    Same old Lancastrians, always cheating.

Watch as Lancashire mascot Lanky the Giraffe wins controversial mascot race at the T20 Blast Finals Day despite appearing to set off before the buzzer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/66212305
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART 1: ABOUT PB
    Politicalbetting.com is a UK website about political betting. It concentrates on elections in the UK and US, although it may stray into other countries at whim. It was founded by Mike Smithson (@MikeSmithson) and the admins are @rcs1000 and @TSE. ...1/n

PART 2: HISTORY
    PB's first post was on https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2004/03/07/logos/ .
    Mike gave a bio a few days later: https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2004/03/24/about-politicalbettingcom/ . It was originally on WordPress(?). then migrated to Disqus, then to its present location....2/n
    PART 3: TRIUMPHS AND DISASTERS
    "...There are so many ways to demarcate the different periods of pb.com history. You could look at the great betting triumphs - Obama at 50-1, cleaning up on the SNP in 2015, that [@Andy_JS's] spreadsheet as the Brexit referendum count came in...Or you could look at the different polling debacles. The ICM ascendancy, the period of the Golden Rule [the lowest Labour lead is the true one, disproven in 2017?], Angus Reid and the daily YouGov poll, Ashcroft's constituency polling, the MRP (actually, that wasn't a debacle)..." @LostPassword, see https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4473594/#Comment_4473594 ...3/n
    PART 4: USERSHIP: POLITICIANS
    As others have pointed out, some politicians have read or posted on it. David Cameron is rumoured and Louise Mensch with more certainty. The user "snowflake5" referred to as "Snowflake" is thought to be a Labour politician: their blog is here http://snowflake5.blogspot.com/ and archived here: https://web.archive.org/web/20230525092742/http://snowflake5.blogspot.com/ . A post she made is here: https://web.archive.org/web/20061122100417/http://politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2006/10/31/browns-price-tightens-to-pre-cameron-levels/ Three others are speculated, including Stewart Jackson...4/n
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Politicalbetting.com is a UK website about political betting. It concentrates on elections in the UK and US, although it may stray into other countries at whim. It was founded by Mike Smithson (@MikeSmithson) and the admins are @rcs1000 and @TSE. ...1/n

PB's first post was on https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2004/03/07/logos/ .
    Mike gave a bio a few days later: https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2004/03/24/about-politicalbettingcom/ . It was originally on WordPress(?). then migrated to Disqus, then to its present location....2/n
    "...There are so many ways to demarcate the different periods of pb.com history. You could look at the great betting triumphs - Obama at 50-1, cleaning up on the SNP in 2015, that [@Andy_JS's] spreadsheet as the Brexit referendum count came in...Or you could look at the different polling debacles. The ICM ascendancy, the period of the Golden Rule [the lowest Labour lead is the true one, disproven in 2017?], Angus Reid and the daily YouGov poll, Ashcroft's constituency polling, the MRP (actually, that wasn't a debacle)..." @LostPassword, see https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4473594/#Comment_4473594 ...3/n
    As others have pointed out, some politicians have read or posted on it. David Cameron is rumoured and Louise Mensch with more certainty. The user "snowflake5" referred to as "Snowflake" is thought to be a Labour politician: their blog is here http://snowflake5.blogspot.com/ and archived here: https://web.archive.org/web/20230525092742/http://snowflake5.blogspot.com/ . A post she made is here: https://web.archive.org/web/20061122100417/http://politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2006/10/31/browns-price-tightens-to-pre-cameron-levels/ Three others are speculated, including Stewart Jackson...4/n
    No doxxing please.
    Gavin Williamson should replace Wallace as Defence Secretary.
    He can then reprise his injunction to Russia to "go away and shut up".
    That'll teach them.
    kle4 said:

Peck said:

kle4 said:

1. He got the sack.

Ukraine is facing existential crisis as a result of an invasion, they are utterly dependent on foreign assistance to survive and they know that, so have to tread a difficult line of pushing for things, even whilst displaying appropriate gratitude for what they have received, and try to demonstrate sufficient military and civil progress to encourage those sending support to keep doing so. I certainly do not begrudge their leadership for finding that very trying, and not always getting it right as far as diplomatic language goes. We won't and haven't given them all they want or need, and that is going to continue.

As for your aid and weapons comment, no one pretends Ukraine as a state has not had corruption issues before, but I feel pretty confident the americans in particular and the West in general is keeping a very close eye on what is happening with the military assets that have been set - if there was any major shenanigans going on there, they'd be slow rolling new supplies a lot more than they have.
    Interesting that the troll du jour was called Amazon, after Ben's remark to Zelensky.
    edited July 2023
    kle4 said:

Miklosvar said:

Taz said:

Don’t blame him really.
    I don't really understand the snide point about peanut galleries here - a UK defence secretary seems like a perfectly credible candidate, and there was plenty of media talk of him being at least in the running, so why wouldn't be mention how he might be a good candidate? But be it his own qualities or political imperatives it seemed fairly early on it would go to someone else (I believe my initial reflection on it was I assume they'd like a female candidate, as there hasn't been one before).
    Ursula von der Leyen is highly probable, at p=0.8 IME.
    But not because she's a woman.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,172

No mention of Wimbledon.

Congrats to Marketa Vondrousova, first unseeded Ladies' champion!
    Actually, Sunil, I thought you'd be more of a Jabeur man, even if only for the song adaptation opportunities:

Ons Jabeur
    Lost the match and still awaiting breakthrough
    Ons Jabeur
    What's a losing finalist supposed to do

etc.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    On why pledging getting rid of IHT would be good politics by the Tories:

The Tory-voting baby boomer has some tough choices to make over the next year.

Fearful that their accumulated wealth is being threatened by one economic shock after another, they could choose to support the government’s return to austerity. Or they might consider sharing their lucky gains from the property market and a private occupational pension system that clearly benefits older generations.

With a general election due in 2024, it is clear that Conservative ministers believe their core constituency of voters – those over 60 – prefer the state to continue its withdrawal from the public sphere, begun in 2010 by George Osborne and David Cameron, to restrict tax rises and preserve their wealth.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/15/its-high-time-tory-baby-boomers-stopped-hoarding-their-wealth

The author considers the impact of yet more austerity on the nation's decaying social fabric and concludes by wondering whether or not the minted elderly - that majority of pensioners who are owner occupiers receiving both the triple locked state pension and fat defined benefit occupational payouts - might "share some of their property and pension gains for the greater good." This is pie-in-the-sky thinking. The notion that the Tory core cares about anything other than hoarding, multiplying and enjoying their wealth, or that they want any of it given to anybody else (except their own offspring, once they are safely dead,) is for the birds.

If the Government wants to limit the damage at the next GE then it should pledge to abolish IHT, find some excuse to jack up the state pension a bit more (or invent a new handout for the elderly,) scrap any remaining commitments with respect to housebuilding, and pay for it by demolishing the budgets of any Whitehall department that the core doesn't care about (i.e. everything except the NHS and pensions.) I wouldn't be at all surprised if they tried to devise a scheme to save the wealth of homeowners from the random bad luck of ending up in a care home as well. After all, if almost everyone under the age of about 50 loathes you, then why bother with them and their concerns?
    edited July 2023

Gavin Williamson should replace Wallace as Defence Secretary.
    He can then reprise his injunction to Russia to "go away and shut up".
    That'll teach them.

Sir Gavin Williamson please.

Let us not forget he would have been occupying a position attending Cabinet to advise the Prime Minister had he not been forced to resign. From a role so vital it has been left vacant since then. Showing the Rishi really really wanted Sir Gavin there to advise him.
    kle4 said:

Peck said:

kle4 said:

1. He got the sack.

I suspect that Churchill was considered a bit demanding and ungrateful in 1940-42 too. As was Stalin in 1941-5. Existential war tends to do that.
    Peck said:

kle4 said:

Miklosvar said:

Taz said:

Don’t blame him really.
    Wouldn't be enough by itself, certainly. Former Defence Minister, EU head, all very credible qualifications, and handy politically.

malcolmg said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

PJH said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

- NHS waiting times
    - Real income
    - Growth
    - Inflation
    - Immigration
    - House ownership %
    - Days lost to strikes

AKA:

Hahahahahahahaha

That kind of thing is normal in Scotland. Opposition to a windfarm off the coast of the Isle of Lewis is focusing on among other things the horror that the electrical energy produced will be sold to England.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    edited July 2023
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

No doxxing please.
    "Doxxing" is equating an anonymous online identity to a real-life name. The only person I did that with was @Antifrank /Alistair Meeks, who disclosed his real-life name publicly on here before he departed. There is nothing there that was not already in the public realm.
    He's a genius at everything, he believes, shouldn't be hard to sort out.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    Peck said:

kle4 said:

Miklosvar said:

Taz said:

Don’t blame him really.
    Nor because she is competent, her time in the german defence ministry is hardly a shining beacon of competence
    Pagan2 said:

Peck said:

kle4 said:

Miklosvar said:

Taz said:

Don’t blame him really.
    Nor because she is competent, her time in the german defence ministry is hardly a shining beacon of competence
    When has that ever mattered in this world? How many people fired or forced to leave a senior position nonetheless find appointment to another senior position seemingly solely on the basis that they held one previous so that shows they are qualified?

At this rate I expect UvdL to be the first World President before she is done.
    Musk(m)Elon should arrange a joint (!) fundraiser with his fellow Puntinist, the MyPillow seditionista?

Whose business is also in free fall. Along with yet another Trumpite grifter, namely Fucker Carlson, Inc.
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

No doxxing please.
    "Doxxing" is equating an anonymous online identity to a real-life name. The only person I did that with was @Antifrank /Alistair Meeks, who disclosed his real-life name publicly on here before he departed. There is nothing there that was not already in the public realm.
    I don't think you would, but others might speculate who Snowflake was.
    edited July 2023
    kle4 said:

Miklosvar said:

Taz said:

Don’t blame him really.
    Snide-ism is due to fact that loudest voices pumping Wallace for NATO, were also proclaiming that Joe Biden was (yet again) the evil genius scheming to foil the fondest hopes of Ukraine govt & people.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605

Musk(m)Elon should arrange a joint (!) fundraiser with his fellow Puntinist, the MyPillow seditionista?

Whose business is also in free fall. Along with yet another Trumpite grifter, namely Fucker Carlson, Inc.
    I see you are another sufferer of Musk Derangement Syndrome. Tesla stock is up 160% this year, and nobody predicting the demise of Twitter has been correct so far.
    Somerset v Essex in the hit and giggle final.

Money can't buy you everything, Surrey...

I see you are another sufferer of Musk Derangement Syndrome. Tesla stock is up 160% this year, and nobody predicting the demise of Twitter has been correct so far.
    Hey, he's the one publicly trashing their current position.

But he does seem to have been correct about Twitter being vastly overstaffed.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025

Same old Lancastrians, always cheating.

Watch as Lancashire mascot Lanky the Giraffe wins controversial mascot race at the T20 Blast Finals Day despite appearing to set off before the buzzer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/66212305

Brilliant.
    He does have a massive disadvantage: giraffes are not known for their sprinting,and men in giraffe suits are at a similar disadvantage. I think a slightly false start can be forgiven.
    Met Lanky last week, AIH. Top mascot.
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

No doxxing please.
    Agree with Foxy here, as you are getting too close to the line, about the width of a playing card.

Just sayin'.

malcolmg said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

PJH said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

- NHS waiting times
    - Real income
    - Growth
    - Inflation
    - Immigration
    - House ownership %
    - Days lost to strikes

AKA:

Hahahahahahahaha

Sometimes?
    Arseholes have pockets?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    kjh said:

Andy_JS said:
    I can see I was there in 2006 and the conversation was very civilised.

Any way of telling when I joined and seeing other posts?
    Looks like the only way would be to go through the individual pages on the Internet Archive.
    kle4 said:

Indeed yes.

Hopefully he will soon have got rid of all the staff.

And the infrastructure...
    Not good for Somerset. Essex definitely in the ascendancy.

@OldKingCole will be happy though.
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Indeed yes.

But EM will still have Tesla . . . maybe.

Seeing as how his trajectory might prove similar to that of "the Match King" about a century ago?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivar_Kreuger
    ydoethur said:

Somerset have had an amazing season. Would be a surprise (to me, at least) if they didn't win it.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462

Why are you so keen to defend Musk? There is *lots* to criticise him for; especially in the social and political spheres. Much (though not all) of that criticism is valid.

And BTW, Tesla stock is up this year, but only back about where it was last September after a large drop at the end of last year. It is still well down on where it was un autumn 2021.

And I'll express my view on Twitter: it probably won't die (in that the domain name won't die); I'd also say that it will remain a much-used site. But it faces significant issues with both debt and it's owner repelling advertisers. There's a non-zero chance it gets further ruined by Musk's wizard wheezes, and gets bought out by someone with some competence with that sort of company - and especially the advertising market.
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Somerset have had an amazing season. Would be a surprise (to me, at least) if they didn't win it.
    You just had to say that, didn't you!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    Hopi Sen isn't a name I've seen for a long time. Just saw his name in an old PB thread from about 2009. He's on Twitter but his blog hasn't been updated since 2018.

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Indeed yes.

But EM will still have Tesla . . . maybe.

Seeing as how his trajectory might prove similar to that of "the Match King" about a century ago?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivar_Kreuger
    Or perhaps George Hudson:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hudson
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Sorry! (I thought your team was Glos - though I don't think I've ever learned why a Welshman living in Staffordshire is so involved in Gloucestershire?)
    In any case, I've had a nibble on Somerset now at 2.63, which I think is quite attractive given the quality of the side and batting first in the evening.)
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

Why are you so keen to defend Musk? There is *lots* to criticise him for; especially in the social and political spheres. Much (though not all) of that criticism is valid.

And BTW, Tesla stock is up this year, but only back about where it was last September after a large drop at the end of last year. It is still well down on where it was un autumn 2021.

And I'll express my view on Twitter: it probably won't die (in that the domain name won't die); I'd also say that it will remain a much-used site. But it faces significant issues with both debt and it's owner repelling advertisers. There's a non-zero chance it gets further ruined by Musk's wizard wheezes, and gets bought out by someone with some competence with that sort of company - and especially the advertising market.
    Musk is doing space travel in a really exciting way. I think I could forgive most things in return for that

edited July 2023
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Sorry! (I thought your team was Glos - though I don't think I've ever learned why a Welshman living in Staffordshire is so involved in Gloucestershire?)
    In any case, I've had a nibble on Somerset now at 2.63, which I think is quite attractive given the quality of the side and batting first in the evening.)
    It is, but I'll take Somerset as an acceptable second.

From here with Snater bowling magnificently and Harmer still to come on they'll be bloody lucky to get 140.

And my parents were Welsh, but I grew up in the Forest of Dean.

Edit - ugh. Now I'm thinking anything over 100 is good going.
    Omnium said:

Musk is doing space travel in a really exciting way. I think I could forgive most things in return for that
    He's also doing colossal damage to Twitter.

But despite these positives, overall he's still a bellend.
    edited July 2023
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Peck said:

kle4 said:

Miklosvar said:

Taz said:

Don’t blame him really.
    When has that ever mattered in this world? How many people fired or forced to leave a senior position nonetheless find appointment to another senior position seemingly solely on the basis that they held one previous so that shows they are qualified?

At this rate I expect UvdL to be the first World President before she is done.
    :smile: She is certainly very well connected. Look at her family background. I first took a look at her back in 2014 when she projected toughness regarding the Ukraine, basically saying that if Russia took any f***ing liberties they'd have the German army to deal with. She really stood out. (I wonder whether she's FSB. Haha!)

I'll have to read up on her paternal grandfather, Carl Albrecht. Sounds as though he put a mystical twist on autogenic stuff he got from Johannes Schulz. Jesuit? Steinerite (like Stoltenberg)? Both? Neither? I'll find out.
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Maybe. He appeals to my long-forgotten schoolboy adventuring soul though. (I know you may have to professionally disapprove of such things!) I'm retired, but if Musk got on the phone then I might un-retire. I think he's on a list of one.
    Just when you think The Met couldn't fuck things up any more.

Britain’s biggest police force gathered sensitive data about people using its website to report sexual offences, domestic abuse and other crimes and shared it with Facebook for targeted advertising, the Observer has found.

The data was collected by a tracking tool embedded in the website of the Metropolitan police and included records of browsing activity about people using a “secure” online form for victims and witnesses to report offences.

In one case, Facebook received a parcel of data when someone clicked a link to “securely and confidentially report rape or sexual assault” to the Met online. This included the sexual nature of the offence being reported, the time the page was viewed and a code denoting the person’s Facebook account ID.

The tracking tool, known as Meta Pixel, also sent details to Facebook about content viewed and buttons clicked on webpages linked to contacting police, accessing victim services, and advice pages for crimes including rape, assaults, stalking and fraud.

When confronted with the Observer’s findings last week, the Met removed the Meta Pixel tracker from its website. It said it took “issues of this kind seriously” and was investigating, adding that no personal data “inputted” by people reporting crime - such as their actual messages to police - had been shared.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jul/15/revealed-metropolitan-police-shared-sensitive-data-about-victims-with-facebook
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    Hmmmm, I think that was out, but hey ho
    Omnium said:

Why?

As just one example, if he helps get a loony Republican candidate such as RDS (*) into the White House next year, would the damage that's done - to America, to the poor, Ukraine - be worth slightly cheaper rocketry?

(*) Ron DeSantis, not, Radio Data System.
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Maybe. He appeals to my long-forgotten schoolboy adventuring soul though. (I know you may have to professionally disapprove of such things!) I'm retired, but if Musk got on the phone then I might un-retire. I think he's on a list of one.
    He used to appeal to me, too. I used to be a fan, ten or so years ago. Then came paedo-gate, his reaction to it, and a whole load of other shitty things that make it clear he's in no way admirable.

(Actually, I think it was the first biography of him by Ashlee Vance that started turning me off him. Despite being a hagiography, it highlighted a few warning signs. Musk's rection to it wrt Vance was also odd.)
    CatMan said:

Hmmmm, I think that was out, but hey ho

Generally on a replay it will look less out than it was, due to the foreshortening effect of watching in 2D.

However, I think it's fair to say Critchley's fingers were at the edge of the ball and the middle appeared to touch the ground.

Still a fantastic effort. Deserved a catch really.
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

From here with Snater bowling magnificently and Harmer still to come on they'll be bloody lucky to get 140.

Ah, I see.
    Somerset/Gloucestershire isn't a Lancs/Yorks type rivalry then? (To be honest, while Lancs are my team, Yorkshire are a close second. With Durham and Notts third and fourth. Basically all the major counties I have lived in.)

They'll cruise 140, easily. Come on Somerset!
    Omnium said:

Some truth in that, for sure.

Am wondering, how much SpaceX has in common with OceanGate? Obviously huge difference in order of magnitude, but still a question worth asking.

Especially given that (wo)manned space-flight has proven extremely hazardous, as for example the Challenger disaster, with known risks at least as risky as deep-ocean exportation if not more so.

Speaking of questions, how do PBers with actual expertise & knowledge, rate the various private, or public/private enterprises currently involved in serious space travel? From best to less-best, etc., etc.?
    edited July 2023
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Ah, I see.
    Somerset/Gloucestershire isn't a Lancs/Yorks type rivalry then? (To be honest, while Lancs are my team, Yorkshire are a close second. With Durham and Notts third and fourth. Basically all the major counties I have lived in.)

They'll cruise 140, easily. Come on Somerset!
    Oh yes, there is, but we like each other even if we needle each other a bit and always want our own side to win when we're playing for bragging rights.

And also, it would piss off the advocates of the Hundred that a county they're trying to get rid of wins, which would be reason enough on its own.

Edit - not that I dislike Essex, far from it. I have a lot of time for them. But I would love to see Somerset win this.

Then I shall be very happy if Essex win the Championship.

And to be fair Snater has bowled like a man possessed here and does not really deserve to be on the losing side.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    Peck said:

kle4 said:

1. He got the sack.

Don't expect many pols or journalists now to ask whether aid and weapons that are sent to a mafia state (and in this case, to one that's undergoing quite an upheaval) always go where they're supposed to go...without any powerful figures taking a cream off or misdirecting or misappropriating anything for personal enrichment...

Don't expect them to comment on Zelensky's gall in demanding this and that from other countries, which seems to have increased in the past few weeks.

Hard to think of any previous case of a country demanding to be allowed into a club. Britain didn't do it when De Gaulle told them their tongues had a brown version of the stars and stripes on and therefore they wouldn't be welcome in the EEC.

The person who denies climate change is also anti-Ukraine. Quelle surprise.

Omnium said:

Why?

As just one example, if he helps get a loony Republican candidate such as RDS (*) into the White House next year, would the damage that's done - to America, to the poor, Ukraine - be worth slightly cheaper rocketry?

Why? Because I want to know what's out there. I'm also sure it is the best assurance of a future for the human race - which might be a mixed bag.

Trump was oddly sane in his actions in office. (The man can't even do mad screaming loon with any honesty)
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

Why? Because I want to know what's out there. I'm also sure it is the best assurance of a future for the human race - which might be a mixed bag.

Trump was oddly sane in his actions in office. (The man can't even do mad screaming loon with any honesty)
    You mean apart from his bungled foreign policy and the attempt to rig his re-election?
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

You mean apart from his bungled foreign policy and the attempt to rig his re-election?
    No I mean that the end of the world didn't actually happen. Trump was and is mad.
    edited July 2023
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

What's nuclear Armageddon later in the 2020s if the richest among our descendants can escape the planet before it becomes uninhabitable because the Sun has become a red giant? That's something that will happen in many millions of years' time - many more millions of years than it took human beings to descend from apes. Just let it happen FGS. Don't worry about it. But if possible, let's not have a nuclear war.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    Twitter seems to be in its death throes.

Which I regret as it's has been a source of instant expertise on quite obscure topics. Recently because of the Russian invasion of Ukraine I have been able to learn about gas supply and drone warfare. Also late Roman Britain.
    Fantastic innings by Dickson, but I suspect the match has just gone with him.
    Peck said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

What's nuclear Armageddon later in the 2020s if the richest among our descendants in many millions of years' time - many more millions of years than it took human beings to descend from apes - can escape the planet before the Sun becomes a red giant?
    Better than no escape.
    edited July 2023
    FF43 said:

Twitter seems to be in its death throes.

Which I regret as it's has been a source of instant expertise on quite obscure topics. Recently because of the Russian invasion of Ukraine I have been able to learn about gas supply and drone warfare. Also late Roman Britain.
    I'm intrigued. How has the Russian invasion of Ukraine helped you to learn about late Roman Britain via Twitter?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    On lockdowns, why they were so long in the UK and Johnson’s role: https://twitter.com/danielgoyal/status/1679811424309112832

Omnium said:

Am wondering, how much SpaceX has in common with OceanGate? Obviously huge difference in order of magnitude, but still a question worth asking.

Especially given that (wo)manned space-flight has proven extremely hazardous, as for example the Challenger disaster, with known risks at least as risky as deep-ocean exportation if not more so.

Speaking of questions, how do PBers with actual expertise & knowledge, rate the various private, or public/private enterprises currently involved in serious space travel? From best to less-best, etc., etc.?
    I don't have actual expertise in space, but have been following the industry for decades.

Here's some quick thoughts:

*) SpaceX. The obvious frontrunner, but is spending humongous amounts on Starlink and SH/SS, and relies heavily on US government money. It has had some amazing achievements, but for the moment Mars remains a pipedream.

*) ULA. Old, staid and reliable. Much depends on their new Vulcan rocket. The US government will want them to continue in the market for as long as there is not another reliable launcher for large payloads (so SpaceX don't get all monopolistic... like ULA...). The US government is willing to pay massively for reliability. Strategy hampered by a lack of interest by Boeing, their co-owner.

*) ESA / ArianeSpace. Old, reliable and has little future strategic direction. Lucked out somewhat with Ariane 4 and 5 being just what the market wanted - until SpaceX came along. Will remain making rockets as Europe does not want a repeat of the Symphonie mess.

*) Blue Origin. Much derided by mindless SpaceX fans, this is one to watch. Allegedly has lots of hidden projects on the go, as well as NASA contract for a second Moon lander. Or it may all fail.

*) NASA. The decision to go ahead with the Artemis missions has finally given them some focus. But I fear it's a case of too little money being spread over too many projects. SLS is an issue for this (as is Congress...), but until the US gets another working heavy-lift vehicle, it should stay.

*) China. No idea. There are some interesting small space startups, including one that got the first methane rocket into space last week. CNSA have grand plans, and a small space station, but have only a couple of crewed missions a year.

*) India. Small and plucky, batting well above its weight. One to watch. Looking forward to their first crewed launch.

*) Japan (JAXA). Has had some successes, but seems to suffer from a lack of focus. Also has some failures (including a second-stage motor this week, which let go fairly spectacularly on the test stand). Desperately need sa strategy and funding to match if it wants to achieve much.

*) RocketLab. A brilliant and fun - and more unusually, successful - space launch company. 37 launches, with 3 failures. Their leader, Beck, is as interested in Venus as Musk is in Mars. And unlike Musk, I think he means it.

There are various other small launch companies on the market (over 100, in fact). Expect a massive winnowing out of these, sadly including the two main UK ones (Syrora/Orbex).

Omnium said:

I don't have actual expertise in space, but have been following the industry for decades.

Here's some quick thoughts:

*) SpaceX. The obvious frontrunner, but is spending humongous amounts on Starlink and SH/SS, and relies heavily on US government money. It has had some amazing achievements, but for the moment Mars remains a pipedream.

*) ULA. Old, staid and reliable. Much depends on their new Vulcan rocket. The US government will want them to continue in the market for as long as there is not another reliable launcher for large payloads (so SpaceX don't get all monopolistic... like ULA...). The US government is willing to pay massively for reliability. Strategy hampered by a lack of interest by Boeing, their co-owner.

*) ESA / ArianeSpace. Old, reliable and has little future strategic direction. Lucked out somewhat with Ariane 4 and 5 being just what the market wanted - until SpaceX came along. Will remain making rockets as Europe does not want a repeat of the Symphonie mess.

*) Blue Origin. Much derided by mindless SpaceX fans, this is one to watch. Allegedly has lots of hidden projects on the go, as well as NASA contract for a second Moon lander. Or it may all fail.

*) NASA. The decision to go ahead with the Artemis missions has finally given them some focus. But I fear it's a case of too little money being spread over too many projects. SLS is an issue for this (as is Congress...), but until the US gets another working heavy-lift vehicle, it should stay.

*) China. No idea. There are some interesting small space startups, including one that got the first methane rocket into space last week. CNSA have grand plans, and a small space station, but have only a couple of crewed missions a year.

*) India. Small and plucky, batting well above its weight. One to watch. Looking forward to their first crewed launch.

*) Japan (JAXA). Has had some successes, but seems to suffer from a lack of focus. Also has some failures (including a second-stage motor this week, which let go fairly spectacularly on the test stand). Desperately need sa strategy and funding to match if it wants to achieve much.

*) RocketLab. A brilliant and fun - and more unusually, successful - space launch company. 37 launches, with 3 failures. Their leader, Beck, is as interested in Venus as Musk is in Mars. And unlike Musk, I think he means it.

There are various other small launch companies on the market (over 100, in fact). Expect a massive winnowing out of these, sadly including the two main UK ones (Syrora/Orbex).
    Thanks for this!

Question - does Estonia has a dog in this fight? Or rather, an eagle, fledgling or actually flying?
This discussion has been closed.