Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Sunak continues to struggle with favourability – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533

On lockdowns, why they were so long in the UK and Johnson’s role: https://twitter.com/danielgoyal/status/1679811424309112832

I love twitter these days.

If I click anything I just get a log in/sign up page.
  • PeckPeck Posts: 517
    edited July 2023
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Musk(m)Elon should arrange a joint (!) fundraiser with his fellow Puntinist, the MyPillow seditionista?

Whose business is also in free fall. Along with yet another Trumpite grifter, namely Fucker Carlson, Inc.
    I see you are another sufferer of Musk Derangement Syndrome. Tesla stock is up 160% this year, and nobody predicting the demise of Twitter has been correct so far.
    Why are you so keen to defend Musk? There is *lots* to criticise him for; especially in the social and political spheres. Much (though not all) of that criticism is valid.

And BTW, Tesla stock is up this year, but only back about where it was last September after a large drop at the end of last year. It is still well down on where it was un autumn 2021.

And I'll express my view on Twitter: it probably won't die (in that the domain name won't die); I'd also say that it will remain a much-used site. But it faces significant issues with both debt and it's owner repelling advertisers. There's a non-zero chance it gets further ruined by Musk's wizard wheezes, and gets bought out by someone with some competence with that sort of company - and especially the advertising market.
    Musk is doing space travel in a really exciting way. I think I could forgive most things in return for that

Why?

As just one example, if he helps get a loony Republican candidate such as RDS (*) into the White House next year, would the damage that's done - to America, to the poor, Ukraine - be worth slightly cheaper rocketry?

(*) Ron DeSantis, not, Radio Data System.
    Why? Because I want to know what's out there. I'm also sure it is the best assurance of a future for the human race - which might be a mixed bag.

Trump was oddly sane in his actions in office. (The man can't even do mad screaming loon with any honesty)
    You mean apart from his bungled foreign policy and the attempt to rig his re-election?
    Trying to buy Greenland.

Wanting to nuke hurricanes.

Wanting to do great property deals with Kim Jong Un and giving him an artist's impression of a super-Manhattanised cityscape in Pyongyang showing the 105 Building dwarfed by new constructions.

His ritualised tearing off of his facemask outside the White House when he got out of hospital after his SARSCoV2 infection doubtless made Mussolini admirers wet themselves with admiration.

Holding up the bible.

Then there was 6 January.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Musk(m)Elon should arrange a joint (!) fundraiser with his fellow Puntinist, the MyPillow seditionista?

Whose business is also in free fall. Along with yet another Trumpite grifter, namely Fucker Carlson, Inc.
    I see you are another sufferer of Musk Derangement Syndrome. Tesla stock is up 160% this year, and nobody predicting the demise of Twitter has been correct so far.
    Why are you so keen to defend Musk? There is *lots* to criticise him for; especially in the social and political spheres. Much (though not all) of that criticism is valid.

And BTW, Tesla stock is up this year, but only back about where it was last September after a large drop at the end of last year. It is still well down on where it was un autumn 2021.

And I'll express my view on Twitter: it probably won't die (in that the domain name won't die); I'd also say that it will remain a much-used site. But it faces significant issues with both debt and it's owner repelling advertisers. There's a non-zero chance it gets further ruined by Musk's wizard wheezes, and gets bought out by someone with some competence with that sort of company - and especially the advertising market.
    Musk is doing space travel in a really exciting way. I think I could forgive most things in return for that

Why?

As just one example, if he helps get a loony Republican candidate such as RDS (*) into the White House next year, would the damage that's done - to America, to the poor, Ukraine - be worth slightly cheaper rocketry?

Why? Because I want to know what's out there. I'm also sure it is the best assurance of a future for the human race - which might be a mixed bag.

Trump was oddly sane in his actions in office. (The man can't even do mad screaming loon with any honesty)
    If you want to know what's out there in space, go and work for a company or org that actually creates satellites that do scientific research. People fetishise the rockets, but that's silly. The rockets are just trucks, what matters are the payloads. And that's where the money is.

(SpaceX, it should be said, has done f-all research in space, relying on NASA for all of that sort of stuff. This is particularly odd if they actually mean to get to Mars, as there's an f-load of science to learn about such missions.)
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

Twitter seems to be in its death throes.

Which I regret as it's has been a source of instant expertise on quite obscure topics. Recently because of the Russian invasion of Ukraine I have been able to learn about gas supply and drone warfare. Also late Roman Britain.
    I'm intrigued. How has the Russian invasion of Ukraine helped you to learn about late Roman Britain via Twitter?
    Not directly of course, but thinking about it there might have been an indirect link. Because people with expertise in one area might tweet about something completely different.

Omnium said:

Some truth in that, for sure.

Am wondering, how much SpaceX has in common with OceanGate? Obviously huge difference in order of magnitude, but still a question worth asking.

Especially given that (wo)manned space-flight has proven extremely hazardous, as for example the Challenger disaster, with known risks at least as risky as deep-ocean exportation if not more so.

Speaking of questions, how do PBers with actual expertise & knowledge, rate the various private, or public/private enterprises currently involved in serious space travel? From best to less-best, etc., etc.?
    I don't have actual expertise in space, but have been following the industry for decades.

Here's some quick thoughts:

*) SpaceX. The obvious frontrunner, but is spending humongous amounts on Starlink and SH/SS, and relies heavily on US government money. It has had some amazing achievements, but for the moment Mars remains a pipedream.

*) ULA. Old, staid and reliable. Much depends on their new Vulcan rocket. The US government will want them to continue in the market for as long as there is not another reliable launcher for large payloads (so SpaceX don't get all monopolistic... like ULA...). The US government is willing to pay massively for reliability. Strategy hampered by a lack of interest by Boeing, their co-owner.

*) ESA / ArianeSpace. Old, reliable and has little future strategic direction. Lucked out somewhat with Ariane 4 and 5 being just what the market wanted - until SpaceX came along. Will remain making rockets as Europe does not want a repeat of the Symphonie mess.

*) Blue Origin. Much derided by mindless SpaceX fans, this is one to watch. Allegedly has lots of hidden projects on the go, as well as NASA contract for a second Moon lander. Or it may all fail.

*) NASA. The decision to go ahead with the Artemis missions has finally given them some focus. But I fear it's a case of too little money being spread over too many projects. SLS is an issue for this (as is Congress...), but until the US gets another working heavy-lift vehicle, it should stay.

*) China. No idea. There are some interesting small space startups, including one that got the first methane rocket into space last week. CNSA have grand plans, and a small space station, but have only a couple of crewed missions a year.

*) India. Small and plucky, batting well above its weight. One to watch. Looking forward to their first crewed launch.

*) Japan (JAXA). Has had some successes, but seems to suffer from a lack of focus. Also has some failures (including a second-stage motor this week, which let go fairly spectacularly on the test stand). Desperately need sa strategy and funding to match if it wants to achieve much.

*) RocketLab. A brilliant and fun - and more unusually, successful - space launch company. 37 launches, with 3 failures. Their leader, Beck, is as interested in Venus as Musk is in Mars. And unlike Musk, I think he means it.

There are various other small launch companies on the market (over 100, in fact). Expect a massive winnowing out of these, sadly including the two main UK ones (Syrora/Orbex).
    Thanks for this!

Question - does Estonia has a dog in this fight? Or rather, an eagle, fledgling or actually flying?
    No idea. A quick Google shows they're members of ESA, but they're rather hampered for rocket launch sites (as is most of Europe) by their position. Easterly launches are most efficient (most of the time...), but you don't want your rockets falling on Russia...

They also did this rather nifty satellite:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESTCube-1
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    Carnyx said:

Which of the Scots PBers kept asking me if I'd "done" Reston station (near the Border on the ECML)? @Theuniondivvie? @carnyx? @fairliered? Well, I visited it yesterday on my way back to London :)

Possibly me, and congratulations! Nice photos again. Wonder where the stone is from? Could even be local-ish, as it seems to be a red sandstone.
    Thanks, although the primary goal of my little expedition was achieved the previous day (Thursday) - doing the new Edinburgh Tram extension towards Newhaven :)
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Wallace confirms he will stand down as Defence Secretary at the next reshuffle and as an MP at the next GE, no by election.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ben-wallace-im-resigning-from-politics-next-cabinet-reshuffle-2023-k0x9st2rt

Yes yes, rats leaving a sinking ship and all that, but only about 1/4 of the Cabinet were MPs before 2010, Wallace included, so he's practically a veteran compared to most of them.
    Sunak's facing Brown's problem - nobody of talent is willing to serve, even if there were enough around in the Commons.

I wonder how many peers will be in his Cabinet after the next reshuffle?
    The imminent reshuffle with umpteen departing ministers gives a good opportunity for some fresh blood. Could Tissue_Price become PB's first (or do I mean next?) minister?
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

Nothing of any interest till at least beyond the Oort cloud which is as far out of our reach as the top of the Burj tower is to a high jumper. Except there might be some quite fun bugs on europa but unlikely.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

If you want to know what's out there in space, go and work for a company or org that actually creates satellites that do scientific research. People fetishise the rockets, but that's silly. The rockets are just trucks, what matters are the payloads. And that's where the money is.

(SpaceX, it should be said, has done f-all research in space, relying on NASA for all of that sort of stuff. This is particularly odd if they actually mean to get to Mars, as there's an f-load of science to learn about such missions.)
    We get the smallest glimpse of our neighbouring planets. Musk proposes we go out and look. There's not a chance that it'd be boots-on-planet first. I'm all for it.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    edited July 2023

Carnyx said:

Which of the Scots PBers kept asking me if I'd "done" Reston station (near the Border on the ECML)? @Theuniondivvie? @carnyx? @fairliered? Well, I visited it yesterday on my way back to London :)

Possibly me, and congratulations! Nice photos again. Wonder where the stone is from? Could even be local-ish, as it seems to be a red sandstone.
    Thanks, although the primary goal of my little expedition was achieved the previous day (Thursday) - doing the new Edinburgh Tram extension towards Newhaven :)
    That's one heck of a tram extension - all the way from Edinburgh to the East Sussex coast?
    Puts Volk's railway to shame.
    Miklosvar said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

Nothing of any interest till at least beyond the Oort cloud which is as far out of our reach as the top of the Burj tower is to a high jumper. Except there might be some quite fun bugs on europa but unlikely.
    Everything's of interest!
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

We get the smallest glimpse of our neighbouring planets. Musk proposes we go out and look. There's not a chance that it'd be boots-on-planet first. I'm all for it.
    Many people we propose to do that. Many people actually create satellites and probes to do that.

Musk doesn't. He create the trucks. Now, trucks are valuable, but the payloads are vital.

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

Many people we propose to do that. Many people actually create satellites and probes to do that.

Musk doesn't. He create the trucks. Now, trucks are valuable, but the payloads are vital.
    If there's a great adventure to be had I really don't mind in the slightest if anyone gets wonderfully rich along the way.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533
    Omnium said:

Miklosvar said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

You've clearly not been in as many zoom calls as I have.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    edited July 2023
    Essex cruising more readily than P***** S******** in a nightclub.

Edit - didn't expect the response to be that quick!
    Oh, and for motorsports fans, today's Formula E race from Rome had a massive crash (caused by Brit Sam Bird) that wiped put six or seven cars, and damaged more. I reckon two drivers were saved from serious injury or worse by the Halo system.
    Peck said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

You mean apart from his bungled foreign policy and the attempt to rig his re-election?
    Trying to buy Greenland.

Wanting to do great property deals with Kim Jong Un and giving him an artist's impression of a super-Manhattanised cityscape in Pyongyang showing the 105 Building dwarfed by new constructions.

His ritualised tearing off of his facemask outside the White House when he got out of hospital after his SARSCoV2 infection doubtless made Mussolini admirers wet themselves with admiration.

Holding up the bible.

You missed off recommending Ivermectin as a Covid treatment and arming teachers to stop school shootings (although TBF the latter's almost mainstream in America these days).
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

If there's a great adventure to be had I really don't mind in the slightest if anyone gets wonderfully rich along the way.
    I think you miss my point. I don't object to Musk getting rich; I'm pointing out that he SpaceX has done essentially f-all research into deep space science, even the masses of topics you'd need to get to Mars.
    Omnium said:

Miklosvar said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

I'm watching the Ridley Scott documentary on mars as we speak. Doesn't look that interesting. I dunno what other planets we can examine up close. Mercury's orbit and Venus atmosphere make it bloody difficult and the gas giants are gas, and giants.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

Carnyx said:

That's one heck of a tram extension - all the way from Edinburgh to the East Sussex coast?
    No, not Sussex! Connecticut! :lol:
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

Carnyx said:

The proper Newhaven. Not the jumped up ex-train ferry port in Sussex.

Famous amongst the literati and arty-farties. Quite rightly, for the Hill & Adamson calotype photographs of the fisherfolk.

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/268441
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    Miklosvar said:

Omnium said:

Miklosvar said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

I'm watching the Ridley Scott documentary on mars as we speak. Doesn't look that interesting. I dunno what other planets we can examine up close. Mercury's orbit and Venus atmosphere make it bloody difficult and the gas giants are gas, and giants.
    Though the moons of the gas Giants look plenty interesting.
    And there are plenty of them.
    ydoethur said:

Peck said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

Trying to buy Greenland.

Holding up the bible.

You missed off recommending Ivermectin as a Covid treatment and arming teachers to stop school shootings (although TBF the latter's almost mainstream in America these days).
    Oh yes, and drinking or injecting* Domestos as another covid treatment.

* Depending on one's ears.
    dixiedean said:

Miklosvar said:

Omnium said:

Miklosvar said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

Though the moons of the gas Giants look plenty interesting.
    And there are plenty of them.
    True dat.
    In the famous words of Michael Slater:

'That's missing off, and it's missing leg. But it's not missing middle.'

Essex still got plenty of batting to come though and a bare hundred to get.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019

Omnium said:

Am wondering, how much SpaceX has in common with OceanGate? Obviously huge difference in order of magnitude, but still a question worth asking.

Especially given that (wo)manned space-flight has proven extremely hazardous, as for example the Challenger disaster, with known risks at least as risky as deep-ocean exportation if not more so.

Speaking of questions, how do PBers with actual expertise & knowledge, rate the various private, or public/private enterprises currently involved in serious space travel? From best to less-best, etc., etc.?
    I don't have actual expertise in space, but have been following the industry for decades.

*) SpaceX. The obvious frontrunner, but is spending humongous amounts on Starlink and SH/SS, and relies heavily on US government money. It has had some amazing achievements, but for the moment Mars remains a pipedream.

*) ULA. Old, staid and reliable. Much depends on their new Vulcan rocket. The US government will want them to continue in the market for as long as there is not another reliable launcher for large payloads (so SpaceX don't get all monopolistic... like ULA...). The US government is willing to pay massively for reliability. Strategy hampered by a lack of interest by Boeing, their co-owner.

*) ESA / ArianeSpace. Old, reliable and has little future strategic direction. Lucked out somewhat with Ariane 4 and 5 being just what the market wanted - until SpaceX came along. Will remain making rockets as Europe does not want a repeat of the Symphonie mess.

*) Blue Origin. Much derided by mindless SpaceX fans, this is one to watch. Allegedly has lots of hidden projects on the go, as well as NASA contract for a second Moon lander. Or it may all fail.

*) NASA. The decision to go ahead with the Artemis missions has finally given them some focus. But I fear it's a case of too little money being spread over too many projects. SLS is an issue for this (as is Congress...), but until the US gets another working heavy-lift vehicle, it should stay.

*) China. No idea. There are some interesting small space startups, including one that got the first methane rocket into space last week. CNSA have grand plans, and a small space station, but have only a couple of crewed missions a year.

*) India. Small and plucky, batting well above its weight. One to watch. Looking forward to their first crewed launch.

*) Japan (JAXA). Has had some successes, but seems to suffer from a lack of focus. Also has some failures (including a second-stage motor this week, which let go fairly spectacularly on the test stand). Desperately need sa strategy and funding to match if it wants to achieve much.

*) RocketLab. A brilliant and fun - and more unusually, successful - space launch company. 37 launches, with 3 failures. Their leader, Beck, is as interested in Venus as Musk is in Mars. And unlike Musk, I think he means it.

There are various other small launch companies on the market (over 100, in fact). Expect a massive winnowing out of these, sadly including the two main UK ones (Syrora/Orbex).
    Thanks for this!

Question - does Estonia has a dog in this fight? Or rather, an eagle, fledgling or actually flying?
    No idea. A quick Google shows they're members of ESA, but they're rather hampered for rocket launch sites (as is most of Europe) by their position. Easterly launches are most efficient (most of the time...), but you don't want your rockets falling on Russia...

France really lucked out by keeping French Guyana
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274

Carnyx said:

Imagine the horror IF the Loch Ness Monster ever teamed up with the Sussex Vampire!
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

I think you miss my point. I don't object to Musk getting rich; I'm pointing out that he SpaceX has done essentially f-all research into deep space science, even the masses of topics you'd need to get to Mars.
    Perhaps he intends to continue the SpaceX policy of "keeping trying until something works"?

Of course, he might use up a lot of astronauts before he finds a workable method for getting them there and back...
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    Off topic, but it might give you some idea of how elections -- in one part of the United States -- are conducted.

On August 1st, King County (Seattle and most suburbs) will hold a primary election (and a few "special" elections). Or, to be more precise, August 1st is the last day to get a ballot mailed, but we can vote any time between now and then.

My voter guide, which I received a few days ago, is 68 pages long, but you can get a feel for the contents by browsing through the list of candidates and, if you are ambitious, the list of measures.
    https://info.kingcounty.gov/kcelections/Vote/contests/candidates.aspx?eid=38
    https://kingcounty.gov/depts/elections/current-measures

Those who value diversity will be delighted by the candidates we have to choose from. Favorite detail: One of the candidates has a degree from the University of Benghazi.

Note that the guides are different for different parts of the county, and that voters only have to make a few choices, the choices depending on where they live. (The ballots vary by location.)

Full disclosure: I will probably vote for GoodSpaceGuy. Yes, that's part of his real name. (He won't win, judging by past performances.)
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,277

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Wallace confirms he will stand down as Defence Secretary at the next reshuffle and as an MP at the next GE, no by election.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ben-wallace-im-resigning-from-politics-next-cabinet-reshuffle-2023-k0x9st2rt

Yes yes, rats leaving a sinking ship and all that, but only about 1/4 of the Cabinet were MPs before 2010, Wallace included, so he's practically a veteran compared to most of them.
    Sunak's facing Brown's problem - nobody of talent is willing to serve, even if there were enough around in the Commons.

The imminent reshuffle with umpteen departing ministers gives a good opportunity for some fresh blood. Could Tissue_Price become PB's first (or do I mean next?) minister?
    Anything's possible, but he would have blotted the proverbial copy book by backing Truss over Sunak, thus undermining the credit gained from having being one of Johnson's fiercest critics.
    CatMan said:

Omnium said:

Thanks for this!

Credit the astounding foresight of Leon Gambetta, late 19th century French politico AND balloonist?

As advised by Jules Verne!

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

Perhaps he intends to continue the SpaceX policy of "keeping trying until something works"?

Of course, he might use up a lot of astronauts before he finds a workable method for getting them there and back...
    Bit slow though. Mr Musk might get impatient waiting 2-3 years to see if it worked before trying it again.

Mind you, it has happened. I've just finished this book, about the DH.108 Swallow - a cross of Vampire and Komet, and even nastier than the latter. Three built, three pilots very dead. (It "starred" in the film Sound Barrier.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Very-British-Sound-Barrier-Courage/dp/1906592047/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2W2X0CG1Q51AQ&keywords=brian+rivas&qid=1689451227&sprefix=brian+rivas,aps,88&sr=8-1

The insouciance with which UK aircraft firms sent out their pilots to fly such things is reminiscent of Bomber Harris sending out his crews over Mannheim night after night. But perhaps the world was different in those postwar years. On the other hand, if they were lucky, the 1940s test pilots were usually home in time for tea, or at worst dinner.
    CatMan said:

Omnium said:

Thanks for this!

As did USA by annexing Florida and Texas. And in future Hawaii?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

On lockdowns, why they were so long in the UK and Johnson’s role: https://twitter.com/danielgoyal/status/1679811424309112832

He doesn’t define ‘lockdown’ and I would assume Scotland was in lockdown longer than the U.K., by any measure.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446
    I have been playing around with the electricity grid data, because I'm going to knit a scarf with it, and I produced this plot related to wind electricity (wanting to see how many days I'd expect in each category, I'm contemplating using sextiles so that I'm more likely to use each colour of yarn an equal number of times, but, anyway).

What I thought was interesting was that - when using a uniform set of intervals between the minimum and maximum daily mean wind output - the most frequent category was not the lowest category. This was a bit surprising as I'd looked at the solar electricity first, and it's distribution was more Poisson-like, with the highest frequency in the lowest category. It suggests that, as more wind capacity is added, across a wider geographical area, that the distribution of wind generation is becoming more normally distributed, which is encouraging.

He doesn’t define ‘lockdown’ and I would assume Scotland was in lockdown longer than the U.K., by any measure.
    Scotland is independent? News to me.
    Carnyx said:

Well it is in health policy, as he specifically refers to England. I’m not sure I trust his spin.

Off topic, but it might give you some idea of how elections -- in one part of the United States -- are conducted.

On August 1st, King County (Seattle and most suburbs) will hold a primary election (and a few "special" elections). Or, to be more precise, August 1st is the last day to get a ballot mailed, but we can vote any time between now and then.

My voter guide, which I received a few days ago, is 68 pages long, but you can get a feel for the contents by browsing through the list of candidates and, if you are ambitious, the list of measures.
    https://info.kingcounty.gov/kcelections/Vote/contests/candidates.aspx?eid=38
    https://kingcounty.gov/depts/elections/current-measures

Those who value diversity will be delighted by the candidates we have to choose from. Favorite detail: One of the candidates has a degree from the University of Benghazi.

Note that the guides are different for different parts of the county, and that voters only have to make a few choices, the choices depending on where they live. (The ballots vary by location.)

Full disclosure: I will probably vote for GoodSpaceGuy. Yes, that's part of his real name. (He won't win, judging by past performances.)

Thought you lived in Eastside King Co? Goodspaceguy is running for KC Council, but district covering West Seattle and Burien.

BTW (also FYI) encountered the Man Himself recent. First met him circa 2001 when he was Libertarian election observer. Perennial candidate for plenty of offices, changed his name (according to him) to promote human colonization of space.

In 2020 he went full-Trump. However, few weeks ago, came across as mellower than previously.

Goodspaceguy has about 99.46% chance of NOT making primary top 2 in his race, and thus eliminated from general election ballot.

Carnyx said:

Well it is in health policy, as he specifically refers to England. I’m not sure I trust his spin.
    Inevitable that it was longer, given that Mr Johnson had the habit of breaking lockdown briefly and chaotically for PR reasons - vide that Christmas and that single day of school in the spring term.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,022
    Starmer - 'We can't win power by spending. We need to reform and create wealth'

Interesting comments from the Guardian and it could equally have been said by Sunak

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/15/keir-starmer-we-cant-spend-our-way-back-to-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
    ydoethur said:

In the famous words of Michael Slater:

'That's missing off, and it's missing leg. But it's not missing middle.'

Essex still got plenty of batting to come though and a bare hundred to get.

Looks like they are going to need it

55 for 5 after 8
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Inevitable that it was longer, given that Mr Johnson had the habit of breaking lockdown briefly and chaotically for PR reasons - vide that Christmas and that single day of school in the spring term.
    I don’t trust his version of events. We all know that lockdown means different things to different people. NZ may have been out of lockdown for those living there, but you couldn’t travel into and out of the country for over a year.
    Some people thought lockdown was still in force if you had to wear a mask. Until he shows what he means by lockdown, I have no reason to believe anything he is saying.
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

Bit slow though. Mr Musk might get impatient waiting 2-3 years to see if it worked before trying it again.

Mind you, it has happened. I've just finished this book, about the DH.108 Swallow - a cross of Vampire and Komet, and even nastier than the latter. Three built, three pilots very dead. (It "starred" in the film Sound Barrier.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Very-British-Sound-Barrier-Courage/dp/1906592047/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2W2X0CG1Q51AQ&keywords=brian+rivas&qid=1689451227&sprefix=brian+rivas,aps,88&sr=8-1

The insouciance with which UK aircraft firms sent out their pilots to fly such things is reminiscent of Bomber Harris sending out his crews over Mannheim night after night. But perhaps the world was different in those postwar years. On the other hand, if they were lucky, the 1940s test pilots were usually home in time for tea, or at worst dinner.
    And of course there is the famous "Book" as in "doing it by the book". My flying instructor maintained that every rule in "The book" was a collection of exceptions in ways to kill pilots and each rule was a tombstone for one or more unfortunates who discovered the problems...

Interesting comments from the Guardian and it could equally have been said by Sunak

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/15/keir-starmer-we-cant-spend-our-way-back-to-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

But it wasn't...
    Good grief. How costly will that be?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

Schwalbe/Swallow was the nickname of the Me 262 (most formidable fighter of the war according to Eric Brown), I wonder if they wanted some reflected glory?
    Of course the Luftwaffe were pretty insouciant about sending their pilots up in the weird, wonderful and downright deadly, though I guess they had the excuse that they were engaged in an existential struggle.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    The question is whether most people who pay inheritance tax are already Tory voters.
    edited July 2023

Carnyx said:

Since Wales was also most definitely longer in lockdown than England, I think we can dismiss his views as to some extent at least seeing what he wants to see.

But it wasn't...
    In acceptance of the pay review body recommendations Sunak specifically ruled out borrowing and additional tax so much the same attitude
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Since Wales was also most definitely longer in lockdown than England, I think we can dismiss his views as to some extent seeing what he wants to see.
    If Drakeford has his way we would still be in lockdown !!!!!
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

Shortly after VJ Day in 1945, the future Governor and POTUS candidate George Wallace, was awaiting eventual discharge after serving in USAAF during WW2 on a bomber crew in the Pacific.

When he was ordered transferred to a special high-tech aviation warfare program, that was preparing to test extremely dangerous new aircraft and tactics.

Wallace politely but emphatically refused. Having like millions of others a few plans post-war plans of his own.

Which in his case, included getting his ass back to Alabama ASAP . . . and NOT getting it blown up doing some kind of high-risk stunt-flying for a few weeks or whatever while the "Goddamn Army (Air Force)" got it's shit together and shipped him back home.

Can't say that me and George W saw alike all that much . . . but this is the exception!
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

Omnium said:

A fascinating sector, despite various trendy celebs (and royals) getting judgy about rich people spending money on the industry.

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

Schwalbe/Swallow was the nickname of the Me 262 (most formidable fighter of the war according to Eric Brown), I wonder if they wanted some reflected glory?
    Of course the Luftwaffe were pretty insouciant about sending their pilots up in the weird, wonderful and downright deadly, though I guess they had the excuse that they were engaged in an existential struggle.
    I have Schwalbe bike tyres, had no idea it meant that. Every day's etc.
    80 for 6 - squeaky bum time for Essex

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

That is interesting - a case of focusing so much on the infrastructure of launches there's no room for anythign else?

80 for 6 - squeaky bum time for Essex

Sodhi makes up for that miss earlier!

Believe you were around for (the original) "Butskellism"?

Am starting to think, that Starmer's early 3rd-millennium take on Fabianism, is better suited to our sad times than Blair's late 2nd-mil. version.

Because biggest difference seems to be, Tony's charisma versus Keir's lack thereof.

Which I suspect is more of a plus than a minus, presently, due to the wretched excesses and resultant backlash re: Donald Trump, Boris Johnson and . . . wait for it . . . Tony Blair.

1973 - Small is Beautiful!

2024 - Less is More?

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

Why and how would he? Has he ever launched a manned rocket even? What you are talking about is space physiology presumably, and NASA knows more about that than the ROW combined.
    Do I see rain on the camera lens?
    kle4 said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

That is interesting - a case of focusing so much on the infrastructure of launches there's no room for anythign else?
    Not really. H's also spending oodles on Starlink, which is a LEO constellation.

My point is this: mankind has only spent a few weeks total outside LEO. The longest anyone has spent at one time in space is just over a year. We know relatively little about Mars, especially if we want to live there, and the comms from Mars rely on a few elderly satellites. There is masses that SpaceX could be doing towards these and 1,001 other issues, but they aren't.
    SS2 said: "Thought you lived in Eastside King Co? Goodspaceguy is running for KC Council, but district covering West Seattle and Burien."

I might vote for GoodSpaceGuy as a protest write-in.

(By the way, Megan McArdle latest column describes research showing that increases in the minimum wage -- may increase homelessness:
    $ https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/07/13/higher-minimum-wages-increase-homelessness/ )
    edited July 2023

Believe you were around for (the original) "Butskellism"?

Am starting to think, that Starmer's early 3rd-millennium take on Fabianism, is better suited to our sad times than Blair's late 2nd-mil. version.

Because biggest difference seems to be, Tony's charisma versus Keir's lack thereof.

Which I suspect is more of a plus than a minus, presently, due to the wretched excesses and resultant backlash re: Donald Trump, Boris Johnson and . . . wait for it . . . Tony Blair.

1973 - Small is Beautiful!

2024 - Less is More?
    Blair and Brown are very much involved in Starmer's thinking and certainly this time there is no money left
    Miklosvar said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

Why and how would he? Has he ever launched a manned rocket even? What you are talking about is space physiology presumably, and NASA knows more about that than the ROW combined.
    "Has he ever launched a manned rocket even?"

Urrrm, yes. Many, in fact.

It's not just physiology, although that's important. Even food's an issue, especially maintaining nutrients, vitamins etc. We just don't have a massive amount of experience in space outside LEO, and that experience was from fifty years ago.
    edited July 2023
    Kle4 - Within the last few years, I saw a proposal from a woman scientist that we colonize Venus. (Sorry, can't remember her name.)

The idea would be to build cities, floating high in the atmosphere. Gravity would be quite similar to earth's. (The article didn't discuss this, but it would probably make sense to get some (most?) of the materials from asteroids.)

(Colonies on the moon or Mars, in contrast, would probably be in caves, natural or artificial, at least at first. Those aren't new ideas; Heinlein said people would be living in the moon in his "It's Great to Be Back", and Asimov described a similar set up in his "Martian Way".)
    107 for 8 - not looking good for Essex
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Regarding Squareroot's view that things were equally bad, or worse in 2010: I appreciate that this is a not uncommon view.

Never mind attacking Sunak, Labour should produce a set of posters and adverts which clearly paint the picture of how much better the period 1997-2010 was for the UK than 2010-2023/24 has been. It really wouldn't be hard, some simple graphs or simple statements of things like:

- NHS waiting times
    - Real income
    - Debt (seriously, who'd have thought would be a higher share of GDP now than in 2010?)
    - Growth
    - Inflation
    - Immigration
    - House ownership %
    - Days lost to strikes

I am sure PBers can think of a few others (number of Cabinet members prosecuted?)

You'd have to exclude the 2008-10 period.

The economy was in better shape, pre-2008, than now.
    Not only that but ignore the effects of Brexit, covid and war in Ukraine all in the last 3 years, which are the unique drivers to where we are today
    More excuses than a pregnant nun!
    Hard to face reality then
    I'm sure you were arguing that we should ignore the Global Financial Crisis when thinking about howe to vote back in 2010, Big_G ;-)

In truth, every government faces unexpected events. Labour had 9/11, 7/7 and the GFC; Tories had Brexit, Covid, Ukraine.
    But Brexit was entirely of the Conservative Government's making.

You can't put that down as an "act of God" unless your god is called Boris Johnson.
    Indeed true, but Big_G was using it as a reason for the Tories utter screw-up of the economy over the past 13 years, so I allowed him that one.

Some Tories, of course, still cling to the idea that the GFC was all Labour's fault (in which case they had a mighty impressive ability to influence the global economy).

Bottom line though, are there any PB posters, of whatever persuasion, who think the Tories have managed the economy at all well?
    I'd say that their economic management has been about average, for rich world governments, from 2010 to date.

Almost every rich country has been dealt a rotten hand, over the past 13 years.

Real criticism of the government lies elsewhere, IMHO. The corruption, the infighting, and the very odd sense of priorities, in terms of public spending. The almost wilful ineptititude with which they run institutions.
    I agree with your second point in things being less rosy for the world economy after GFC.But to your first point about economic management, we can point to specific government policies with poor economic outcomes that peer countries didn't follow to the same extent, including austerity, Brexit, COVID economic policies, extent of QE.
    A lot of rich countries practised forms of austerity that make ours look laughably lenient by comparison (Ireland, Iceland, the Club Med nations). Pretty well everyone sought to cut budget deficits sharply, after 2010. Brexit is pretty small beer, overall. The COVID policies and QE definitely caused problems down the line, but it really was. case of choosing between evils.
    Fundamentally, the West is no longer top dog and we aren't having enough kids.

No party of any stripe can easily solve that.
    Not true. Boris Johnson is singlehandedly trying to resolve that dilemma.

Miklosvar said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Why?

"Has he ever launched a manned rocket even?"

Urrrm, yes. Many, in fact.

It's not just physiology, although that's important. Even food's an issue, especially maintaining nutrients, vitamins etc. We just don't have a massive amount of experience in space outside LEO, and that experience was from fifty years ago.
    OK 9 as of March this year seems to be the answer, all to the ISS. My point was that all of the ISS data and all of the beyond LEO data are from NASA. I don't see how spacex could be researching this independently of NASA.

The Internet throws up a paper called Interplanetary regenerative medicine for mission Mars of SpaceX and NASA. I don't have access to it.

SS2 said: "Thought you lived in Eastside King Co? Goodspaceguy is running for KC Council, but district covering West Seattle and Burien."

I might vote for GoodSpaceGuy as a protest write-in.

(By the way, Megan McArdle latest column describes research showing that increases in the minimum wage -- may increase homelessness:
    $ https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/07/13/higher-minimum-wages-increase-homelessness/ )

Was just talking with a friend, about how IF back in 2004, Dino Rossi had NOT come out publicly AGAINST raising state minimum wage, he would have won by narrow but still comfortable margin . . . instead of losing by inches.

Context was theory that IF the new Republican candidate for governor in 2024, Dave Reichert had been GOP nominee twenty years ago, he WOULD have won. In part because Reichert would NOT have come out against raising the min wage.

Note that Rossi was armed with similar studies arguing raising min wage was harmful to low-income workers and wanna-be workers.

Further note, this is one area where new-wave blue-collar populist GOPers generally part company, with old-school country-club Republicans.

Which does NOT of course address the validity of research you cite and arguments it supports.
    My word, Ish Sodhi is enjoying himself.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025

107 for 8 - not looking good for Essex

This is an absolutely fantastic game though.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    Peck said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Peck said:

kle4 said:

Miklosvar said:

Taz said:

Don’t blame him really.
    That probably says a lot about the current situation that he feels it’s best to get out
    This is shitty behaviour. If he had any sense of duty to Ukraine he would hang in there, the point of standing down as minister now is it starts the clock on the 2 years before he is allowed to go and work for Big Armscorp Inc. Very disappointing.
    So perhaps UK Defense Secretary was NOT as great a candidate to lead NATO, as PB peanut gallery thought?
    I don't really understand the snide point about peanut galleries here - a UK defence secretary seems like a perfectly credible candidate, and there was plenty of media talk of him being at least in the running, so why wouldn't be mention how he might be a good candidate? But be it his own qualities or political imperatives it seemed fairly early on it would go to someone else (I believe my initial reflection on it was I assume they'd like a female candidate, as there hasn't been one before).
    Ursula von der Leyen is highly probable, at p=0.8 IME.
    But not because she's a woman.
    Nor because she is competent, her time in the german defence ministry is hardly a shining beacon of competence
    When has that ever mattered in this world? How many people fired or forced to leave a senior position nonetheless find appointment to another senior position seemingly solely on the basis that they held one previous so that shows they are qualified?

At this rate I expect UvdL to be the first World President before she is done.
    :smile: She is certainly very well connected. Look at her family background. I first took a look at her back in 2014 when she projected toughness regarding the Ukraine, basically saying that if Russia took any f***ing liberties they'd have the German army to deal with. She really stood out. (I wonder whether she's FSB. Haha!)

I'll have to read up on her paternal grandfather, Carl Albrecht. Sounds as though he put a mystical twist on autogenic stuff he got from Johannes Schulz. Jesuit? Steinerite (like Stoltenberg)? Both? Neither? I'll find out.
    Oh dear saying you have the german army to deal with is like saying mess with me you will have to fight your way out of a wet paper bag. The germans have never been a serious military force since the end of ww2 and I can understand why
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637

Except Sunak rose to power by spending like a sailor on Covid bungs, levelling, you name it.
    Sodhi is possibly enjoying himself less after that.

This is not at all over.
    ydoethur said:

Sodhi is possibly enjoying himself less after that.

This is not at all over.

Good game
    EPG said:

Except Sunak rose to power by spending like a sailor on Covid bungs, levelling, you name it.
    He had no choice
    Essex have just gone favourites with that hit.
    WHAT A CATCH!!!

SOMERSET!!!
    What a catch

What a game
    Disappointing to see so many empty seats though.

Hope it's only the weather.

Good evening

The news of Ben Wallace standing down is not really a surprise as he wanted the NATO role so hardly committed to a career in politics

He was very much a Johnson supporter, and looking at the future for additional defence spending it is bleak and I expect he will land a very good position in private business once out of politics

The membership will have to look for someone else as he topped their poll in ConHome but that does not fill me with any confidence

I feel for Ben, he's a good guy. George Robertson was suggesting the other day that now only former heads of states will get a look in, and he himself wouldn't have been considered these days as just a Defence Secretary.

So there is hope for Boris or Truss then.

Good evening

The news of Ben Wallace standing down is not really a surprise as he wanted the NATO role so hardly committed to a career in politics

He was very much a Johnson supporter, and looking at the future for additional defence spending it is bleak and I expect he will land a very good position in private business once out of politics

The membership will have to look for someone else as he topped their poll in ConHome but that does not fill me with any confidence

I feel for Ben, he's a good guy. George Robertson was suggesting the other day that now only former heads of states will get a look in, and he himself wouldn't have been considered these days as just a Defence Secretary.

Neither of them were Head of State.
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Another one off the next leader list.

I couldn't really see his appeal, but I struggle with Tory leaders betting because I don't really see the appeal of any of them.
    I am warming towards Jenrick as a decent bet for the Conservative leader after next. He is so ruthlessly ambitious in the vein of Alan B'stard, and I don't believe I have come across a politician quite so slimy in my 60 plus years.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,705

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

I couldn't really see his appeal, but I struggle with Tory leaders betting because I don't really see the appeal of any of them.
    I am warming towards Jenrick as a decent bet for the Conservative leader after next. He is so ruthlessly ambitious in the vein of Alan B'stard, and I don't believe I have come across a politician quite so slimy in my 60 plus years.
    Ken Baker?
    ydoethur said:

Good grief. How costly will that be?

A Starmer-Labour Government? Very, so vote Sunak Tories for lots of cost-free free stuff.
    ydoethur said:

Good evening

A good point. But King Charles has a potential gig if it all goes t*ts up!
    edited July 2023

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Ken Baker?
    No, a rank amateur by comparison. Jenrick reminds me of a young George Osborne though.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Not wanting to doubt the PB MP, but didn't he come out for Truss? Or was that only careering after she was a sure thing?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Is a summer reshuffle on the cards? Perhaps shift the 5 who have failed on their pledges...
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Not wanting to doubt the PB MP, but didn't he come out for Truss? Or was that only careering after she was a sure thing?
    Well, it was pretty clear whoever went up against Sunak would win, as the members just did not seem to warm to him, so once it was down to the final two it was a sure thing. But wiki lists him as a Tugendhat backer first - I don't think many backed Truss initially.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endorsements_in_the_July–September_2022_Conservative_Party_leadership_election

Kle4 - Within the last few years, I saw a proposal from a woman scientist that we colonize Venus. (Sorry, can't remember her name.)

The idea would be to build cities, floating high in the atmosphere. Gravity would be quite similar to earth's. (The article didn't discuss this, but it would probably make sense to get some (most?) of the materials from asteroids.)

(Colonies on the moon or Mars, in contrast, would probably be in caves, natural or artificial, at least at first. Those aren't new ideas; Heinlein said people would be living in the moon in his "It's Great to Be Back", and Asimov described a similar set up in his "Martian Way".)

Yes, IIRC it's about 50km up when Venus's pressure would be bearable. Of course, plenty of other issues to contend with on that horrible planet.
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Is a summer reshuffle on the cards? Perhaps shift the 5 who have failed on their pledges...
    "Stop the boat children cartoons" is almost as good as "stop the boats". So Jenrick is safe .
    edited July 2023
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

It does feel weird to have someone not the PM pre-announce a reshuffle, which just puts everyone on notice that the PM doesn't think things are going well with their team and they need to rejig things.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    Pagan2 said:

Peck said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Peck said:

kle4 said:

Miklosvar said:

Taz said:

Don’t blame him really.
    That probably says a lot about the current situation that he feels it’s best to get out
    This is shitty behaviour. If he had any sense of duty to Ukraine he would hang in there, the point of standing down as minister now is it starts the clock on the 2 years before he is allowed to go and work for Big Armscorp Inc. Very disappointing.
    So perhaps UK Defense Secretary was NOT as great a candidate to lead NATO, as PB peanut gallery thought?
    I don't really understand the snide point about peanut galleries here - a UK defence secretary seems like a perfectly credible candidate, and there was plenty of media talk of him being at least in the running, so why wouldn't be mention how he might be a good candidate? But be it his own qualities or political imperatives it seemed fairly early on it would go to someone else (I believe my initial reflection on it was I assume they'd like a female candidate, as there hasn't been one before).
    Nor because she is competent, her time in the german defence ministry is hardly a shining beacon of competence
    When has that ever mattered in this world? How many people fired or forced to leave a senior position nonetheless find appointment to another senior position seemingly solely on the basis that they held one previous so that shows they are qualified?

:smile: She is certainly very well connected. Look at her family background. I first took a look at her back in 2014 when she projected toughness regarding the Ukraine, basically saying that if Russia took any f***ing liberties they'd have the German army to deal with. She really stood out. (I wonder whether she's FSB. Haha!)

I'll have to read up on her paternal grandfather, Carl Albrecht. Sounds as though he put a mystical twist on autogenic stuff he got from Johannes Schulz. Jesuit? Steinerite (like Stoltenberg)? Both? Neither? I'll find out.
    Oh dear saying you have the german army to deal with is like saying mess with me you will have to fight your way out of a wet paper bag. The germans have never been a serious military force since the end of ww2 and I can understand why
    Pagan2 said:

Peck said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Peck said:

kle4 said:

Miklosvar said:

Taz said:

Don’t blame him really.

Untrue.
    At the end of the Cold War they had an army of 585k, and the best tanks in the world.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089

Peck said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Temperatures in Israel. These are extreme

It gets hot in the Middle East, really?
    Israel is in Europe! See Eurovision passim

In all seriousness, talking of mind changes I’ve gone from being mildly skeptical about anthro global warming to generally accepting it is happening. And happening quite fast

PB was a part of the reason I changed (tho there were many other reasons - not least seeing it with my own eyes)
    You need to have a look at Mill's methods for investigating and showing causation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill's_Methods

How on earth can you say A results from B when A has resulted from not-B so many times?
    We can see that none of the not-B triggers for past climate change have happened recently, so, y'know, kinda leaves CO2 from fossil fuel burning as the only remaining explanation.
    That would be fine if we knew what the not-B triggers were. We don't (and not for lack of trying) so it is not possible to eliminate them.
    Interesting article.

The Best Way to Find Out If Someone Is a Trump Voter? Ask Them What They Think About Manhood.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/14/masculinity-polling-00105414
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    He could do a swap with Nad she wants to be a peer...

GB News
    @GBNEWS
    ·
    1h
    ‘The Commons is where you need to be if you want to influence things.’

Lord David Frost speaks to Gloria De Piero about his ambition of becoming an elected MP.

Watch the full interview on Gloria Meets, tomorrow on GB News at 6pm!

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1680313788472410113

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Ones like Jenrick who are super ambitious and just approaching the age and career experience to start thinking about top jobs will be super desperate to get something now, since with losing office a real possibility soon they may be in the mix where they have too much baggage to be seen as a fresh option to revitalise the party, but also not yet experienced enough to be a safe pair of hands to rebuild after a loss. Then they face the prospect of 1-2 terms out of office, and for people hitting their peak now, that amount of time will see them looked past.
    edited July 2023
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Good evening

Perhaps. But undoubtedly Truss will be Head of State. Whether she is crowned or becomes president it is only a matter of time. This time 12 months ago we saw what she was capable of as she began her unstoppable rise.
    Something of a rollercoaster rise…

(In the unlikely event of it turning out to be that.)
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470

steve richards
    @steverichards14
    ·
    1h
    Much of K Starmer’s Observer article tomorrow is lifted word for word from T Blair post 97 eg :“It will mean moving from a one-size-fits-all approach to bespoke services that work for people..”Never before has a leader imitated a predecessor so overtly..a curious experiment.

steve richards
    @steverichards14
    ·
    1h
    Much of K Starmer’s Observer article tomorrow is lifted word for word from T Blair post 97 eg :“It will mean moving from a one-size-fits-all approach to bespoke services that work for people..”Never before has a leader imitated a predecessor so overtly..a curious experiment.

Affirms my earlier comments but for Starmer he will inherit a far worse economy than Blair
This discussion has been closed.