Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

My guess: Sunak will wait until 2025 for the election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,889

Scott_xP said:

I’m currently on a moratorium on buying footwear.

Can we open a book on whether you can make it the whole month?
    My last purchase was 11th of April.

So over 3 months.
    How much do the meds cost to deal with the withdrawal issue?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,091

Sandpit said:

BTW, you may remember the story the other day about a Russian submarine commander that got assassinated during his morning run.

Allegedly, he was posting his runs publicly on Strava.

ISTR our military has had issues with this; it must be a far more serious breach of personal security during wartime...

He was apparently working in ‘recuitment’ for the Russian military. Something that’s increasingly becoming non-voluntary, for any young men without the resources to make themselves invisible.

Imagine being a valuable military target, also hated among many in your own community, running the same route every day at the same time, then posting it online for the world to see. Whether it was Russian locals or Ukranian spooks who got him first, I’d record it as a suicide.
    Once again, this stuff was talked about for years - online personal security. This is just one of the first wars where it has actually become an issue.

At a guess, this guy is going to become a slide in the PowerPoint presentation "Why online personal security is important" that many organisations give.
    I used to do one of them for teenagers and their parents, about the dangers of over-sharing.

While most of it was about kids sending bad pictures to each other, and posting their full name and address on public forums, I couldn’t help but to point out the correlation between people posting photos of their whole family on holiday, while they were on holiday, and targeted house burglaries discovered when they got home.

There was a spate of such around international football matches, when the criminals knew exactly where the occupier was going to be, because they were live on the telly. They know where you are too, if you’re posting hourly updates from Majorca.

I still think back to the days of cellphone triangulation and CCTV cameras, and I’m only 45. Today’s always-online kids have no idea about the tracking devices they keep in their pockets. Or they don’t care. These are tomorrow’s military officers, who are going to have get it drummed out of them at Sandhurst.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,530
    ydoethur said:

A

BTW, you may remember the story the other day about a Russian submarine commander that got assassinated during his morning run.

ISTR our military has had issues with this; it must be a far more serious breach of personal security during wartime...

It is alleged that his posts were "liked" by an account under the same name as the head of Ukrainian Intelligence.
    The truly astonishing thing about the Russian invasion is just how inept their security protocols have been.

Even I am more careful about my data than that and nobody has any reason to assassinate me.
    Except the master, of course.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,420
    HYUFD said:

Live coverage of the 12th July Orange Order parade through Belfast today on GB News hosted by Arlene Foster

Finally, a ratings smash for GB News!

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

He was apparently working in ‘recuitment’ for the Russian military. Something that’s increasingly becoming non-voluntary, for any young men without the resources to make themselves invisible.

Imagine being a valuable military target, also hated among many in your own community, running the same route every day at the same time, then posting it online for the world to see. Whether it was Russian locals or Ukranian spooks who got him first, I’d record it as a suicide.
    Once again, this stuff was talked about for years - online personal security. This is just one of the first wars where it has actually become an issue.

At a guess, this guy is going to become a slide in the PowerPoint presentation "Why online personal security is important" that many organisations give.
    I used to do one of them for teenagers and their parents, about the dangers of over-sharing.

While most of it was about kids sending bad pictures to each other, and posting their full name and address on public forums, I couldn’t help but to point out the correlation between people posting photos of their whole family on holiday, while they were on holiday, and targeted house burglaries discovered when they got home.

There was a spate of such around international football matches, when the criminals knew exactly where the occupier was going to be, because they were live on the telly. They know where you are too, if you’re posting hourly updates from Majorca.

I still think back to the days of cellphone triangulation and CCTV cameras, and I’m only 45. Today’s always-online kids have no idea about the tracking devices they keep in their pockets. Or they don’t care. These are tomorrow’s military officers, who are going to have get it drummed out of them at Sandhurst.
    Person of interest got there early, once again....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZfQymnABxQ&t=30s
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,586

ydoethur said:

A

It is alleged that his posts were "liked" by an account under the same name as the head of Ukrainian Intelligence.
    The truly astonishing thing about the Russian invasion is just how inept their security protocols have been.

Even I am more careful about my data than that and nobody has any reason to assassinate me.
    If the DfE had a hit team..
    As long as they were targeting me, I would be safe enough.

I'd be worried about random sociology teachers in Canada if such a hit team ever sobered up enough to leave base, mind.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Live coverage of the 12th July Orange Order parade through Belfast today on GB News hosted by Arlene Foster

But it's nice they are taking interest in minority community parades and celebrations, right?
  • Options
    edited July 2023

HYUFD said:

Thanks, Huyfd. I'll be sure to set the timer.
    The PSNI have just started trying to hack your accounts to see*what* timer you had in mind...

Edit - DA beat me to it!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,420

HYUFD said:

17:30, aka16:90 on LOL time.
  • Options
    In practice some likely dates for the general election could be:

21 March - (28 March is Maundy Thursday) going early on the assumption that things are going to get worse.

2 May - with the locals

13 June - to be called immediately after the locals - any later it clashes with the football Euros and then the olympics.

Autumn - more flexibility around dates after the big sporting events. Could have end September/start October with effectively a long campaign period starting slowly in August although this might clash with the paralympics which ends on 8 September?

A later November/early December election would be impacted by the US elections results - may bring an element of unpredictability which might change the ongoing narative?

Parliament will automatically dissolve on Tuesday 17 December 2024 if not earlier. So a January election would mean Christmas and New Year campaigning.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

A

But he's the Ainley one.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Never realised you were in the PIRA.
    That reminds me of the Gerry Adams Christmas light timer twitter post.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751

Scott_xP said:

So over 3 months.
    The methadone is free.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Never realised you were in the PIRA.
    These days it's the Continuity IRA, the Real IRA, the Really Real IRA, The I Can't Believe It's The Real IRA or the Keeping' it Real IRA.

All of the above are unlikely to be awake early in the morning - the number of sad, middle aged, alcoholic obsessives involved rivals PB.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,304

HYUFD said:

But it's nice they are taking interest in minority community parades and celebrations, right?
    They interviewed a group from Lewes in Sussex, hope of the torchlit Bonfire Night parades and huge bonfires who had gone over to support their Protestant brothers parade in Ulster.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

A

But he's the Ainley one.
    Roger that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The Orange Order are the last people in the world to wear bowler hats?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

So over 3 months.
    The methadone is free.
    I thought that stuff was more dangerous than smack?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The Orange Order are the last people in the world to wear bowler hats?
    Nope

• Options

Scott_xP said:

So over 3 months.
    The methadone is free.
    Nah that’s spice.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

A

But he's the Ainley one.
    Roger that.
    Trakken this contest will be Simmple.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,248

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

If you are in search of positive news, let me give you some. The country around Sidmouth is currently buzzing with bees and butterflies. I think the decision to keep the grass long and let wild flowers grow in so many meadows, combined with recent rain, has brought them out to play. Not having a clue about nature I could be totally wrong. But I do know they are there because I can see them! Maybe it's only round here, but I hope not.

THere's been much more emphasis lately in leaving meadows alone for the early months to let the insects have a chance. Parallel movement in gardening, too: not being anal about one's lawn (let alone replace it with plastic etc). Mrs C has been of that philosophy for decades and our lawnless front garden has been a chaotic mass of flowers since the snowdrops and crocuses - full of bumblebees and hoverflies, and butterflies. In contrast to the sometimes sterile plastic grass and hard core parking spaces elswehere on the same street.

Edit: even the RHS is in on it, much to its credit.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/lawns/creating-wildflower-meadows
    We're currently house hunting and it's been a real eye opener to see the number of places that have plastic grass. Way more than I'd have expected, and it really puts us off, as it'd have to be ripped up and proper lawn laid again. I
    Was a story in paper last year , some woman had got up in morning to find someone had rolled teh lawn up and nicked it. Anyone with plastic grass should get minimum 3 years with no remission.
    Oh, she had the value of her house increased? Difficult to see where the crime is then.
    Carnyx, the crime is having plastic grass. What kind of cretin do you need to be to want that in preference to the real thing.
    I am not a fan of plastic grass but my late mum had my brother lay some on a very untidy old concrete patio she had - it made it feel a nicer space to sit out in the sun for what turned out to be her last summer.

So there we are, my mum was a cretin in Malc's book. She'd have laughed at that.
    Nice one, why not a nice outdoor carpet though.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

So over 3 months.
    The methadone is free.
    Nah that’s spice.
    Not cake?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Make it a big big bomb Peter
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,824
    edited July 2023

Johnson reduced himself to a minority and sent Geoffrey wotzit out to rage from the dispatch box against his own government, demanding that it be thrown from office. Mental. And post 2019 they are more mental...

That was entirely logical and sensible and resulted in the biggest Tory majority since 1987 and the highest share of the vote for any party in England in about half a century. Bigger even than Tony Blair ever achieved.

Sunak timing things out to the last minute is not remotely comparable to Boris shaking up Parliament and going to the country to win a new majority.

The stupidity in the 2017-19 Parliament was not Boris going to the polls to win a majority, it was Parliament refusing to find a majority for any form of Brexit then the Opposition being scared of an election and so pissing off the electorate that they ensured Boris won a massive majority for a far harder Brexit than May ever wanted.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

If you are in search of positive news, let me give you some. The country around Sidmouth is currently buzzing with bees and butterflies. I think the decision to keep the grass long and let wild flowers grow in so many meadows, combined with recent rain, has brought them out to play. Not having a clue about nature I could be totally wrong. But I do know they are there because I can see them! Maybe it's only round here, but I hope not.

THere's been much more emphasis lately in leaving meadows alone for the early months to let the insects have a chance. Parallel movement in gardening, too: not being anal about one's lawn (let alone replace it with plastic etc). Mrs C has been of that philosophy for decades and our lawnless front garden has been a chaotic mass of flowers since the snowdrops and crocuses - full of bumblebees and hoverflies, and butterflies. In contrast to the sometimes sterile plastic grass and hard core parking spaces elswehere on the same street.

We're currently house hunting and it's been a real eye opener to see the number of places that have plastic grass. Way more than I'd have expected, and it really puts us off, as it'd have to be ripped up and proper lawn laid again. I
    Was a story in paper last year , some woman had got up in morning to find someone had rolled teh lawn up and nicked it. Anyone with plastic grass should get minimum 3 years with no remission.
    Oh, she had the value of her house increased? Difficult to see where the crime is then.
    Carnyx, the crime is having plastic grass. What kind of cretin do you need to be to want that in preference to the real thing.
    I am not a fan of plastic grass but my late mum had my brother lay some on a very untidy old concrete patio she had - it made it feel a nicer space to sit out in the sun for what turned out to be her last summer.

So there we are, my mum was a cretin in Malc's book. She'd have laughed at that.
    Which is really plastic grass you can move. Except it never gets moved.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,654
    edited July 2023
    If anybody's doubting how desperate some Tories are getting, and how low they could sink, here's a preview from ConHome today:
    CCHQ must find Starmer’s Willie Horton
    https://conservativehome.com/2023/07/12/cchq-must-find-starmers-willie-horton/

A repulsive article.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

So over 3 months.
    The methadone is free.
    Nah that’s spice.
    Not cake?
    Given the government edicts that cake in the office is an attack on those dieting... how long before we have a full on War On Cake?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

So over 3 months.
    The methadone is free.
    Nah that’s spice.
    Not cake?
    Spice has been a real issue in Manchester city centre.

Turns users into The Walking Dead.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,209

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

I have to ask: is there such a thing as outdoor carpet? Is this a Scottish thing?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,582

Scott_xP said:

So over 3 months.
    The methadone is free.
    Nah that’s spice.
    Not cake?

Often not even walking. Standing still dead. Leaning over dead.

That said, I've not seen nearly as much of this of late. I wonder if the drug of choice has changed?
  • Options

If anybody's doubting how desperate some Tories are getting, and how low they could sink, here's a preview from ConHome today:

A repulsive article.

What the actual fucking fuck?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

So over 3 months.
    The methadone is free.
    Nah that’s spice.
    Not cake?

Legalise drugs so that

1) The supply chain doesn't result in whole countries being taken over by criminal gangs. Unless you have a certain view of Hoffmann-La Roche...
    2) The drugs can be regulated in terms of purity and safety - Spice and other shit like this is a result of attempts to get round supply issues.
    3) We stop locking up lots of people
    4) The police have other things to do
    5) Tax it sensibly, so the legal stuff costs less than the illegal stuff - fund the NHS?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

So over 3 months.
    The methadone is free.
    Nah that’s spice.
    Not cake?

Yes. The RSS have a habit of holding conferences in Manchester, and the second time I went there I was struck by the number of visible (presumably) junkies. :(
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,654

A repulsive article.

Quite. Couldn't have put it better myself.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Scott_xP said:

So over 3 months.
    The methadone is free.
    Nah that’s spice.
    Not cake?

Yes. The RSS have a habit of holding conferences in Manchester, and the second time I went there I was struck by the number of visible (presumably) junkies. :(
    RSS? Modi's Roderick Spode appreciation society?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Much posher and pleasant for covering concrete.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    viewcode said:

Scott_xP said:

So over 3 months.
    The methadone is free.
    Nah that’s spice.
    Not cake?

Walking round Manchester is quite tiring so presumably people need plenty of breaks to relax on the benches.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

I have to ask: is there such a thing as outdoor carpet? Is this a Scottish thing?
    If you do not have outdoor carpets you have never lived Viewcode. My wife picked up habit while we were in USA, have several here for the patio ( need to have a choice for different occasions ) but given the weather difference here they do spend a lot of time rolled up in the garage.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Scott_xP said:

So over 3 months.
    The methadone is free.
    Nah that’s spice.
    Not cake?

RSS? Modi's Roderick Spode appreciation society?
    Royal Statistical Society.

2021 Manchester: https://rss.org.uk/RSS/media/File-library/Conference/RSS-2021-Conference-directory.pdf
    2016 Manchester: https://rss.org.uk/RSS/media/File-library/Conference/RSS-Conf-Directory-2016.pdf
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,229

Farooq said:

He'll go October 31st 2024 or November 7th 2024 to really piss me and other political gamblers off.

If you find yourself short of funds for betting, you could sell some of your shoes
    It’s more the mental bandwidth issues I worry about.

A UK general election and US presidential election within days of each other will be a challenge.

The results could drag on for days.

I raised this issue back in January when I wrote a thread asking ‘Can you cope with two massive elections at the same time?’

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/01/01/can-you-cope-with-two-massive-elections-at-the-same-time/
    Has OGH booked his October/November 2024 holiday yet? Just asking.
    No but I have offered to pay for a 8
    week around the world cruise for OGH in Oct/Nov 2024.

For the LOLs.
    We should start pricing such things in the TSE Shoe index.

How many pairs of shoes would you need to sell to pay for an 8 week round the world cruise? Two?
    Should really be how many pairs of shoes would TSE stop himself from buying to pay for an 8 week round the world cruise: rough guess a dozen Louis Vuittons or Church’s.

High end footwear is one of these areas where brands take the piss. Another thing to blame on Russian oligarchs and crims I’d suggest.

I have 24 (twenty-four) wearable pairs of footwear.
    Based on photos you've shared previously I would question your use of the word "wearable" in this context.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

If you do not have outdoor carpets you have never lived Viewcode. My wife picked up habit while we were in USA, have several here for the patio ( need to have a choice for different occasions ) but given the weather difference here they do spend a lot of time rolled up in the garage.
    This is a whole new world of experience. Thank you.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

The things you learn on pb.com. Yesterday specialist shoes for playing the organ in, and today this. The world gets richer every day.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,219
    edited July 2023

A repulsive article.

I think they perhaps got confused by the well known dictum "every PM needs a Willie" ?

Alternatively, they're just utterly degraded.
  • Options
    Nadine Dorries has written a book called THE PLOT: THE POLITICAL ASSASSINATION OF BORIS JOHNSON

https://twitter.com/mattchorley/status/1679040136003170304?s=46
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

I agree with Mike. Sunak will hold on until the law compels him to go to the people. Unless he can find a way to change the law.

Is there provision for a Royal Prerogative extension anymore? We are at proxy war with Russia.

Another two years might be handy.
    There never was one, was there?

In WWI and WWII a series of Acts extending Parliament were passed.
    'Never' is too strong a word. Until 1668 (I suppose technically 1641) parliaments were called and dismissed at the pleasure of the monarch so elections were irregular. The Triennial Act 1641 stated that there must be elections every three years in England. Ironically, the first parliament elected under it sat for nineteen years. In 1688 one of the clauses under which William of Orange was made King by Parliament was that he would honour the triennial acts.

In 1715 that was changed to every seven years for the whole of Great Britain.

In 1911 it was changed to every five years.

So I suppose you could say the monarch *did* have that power until the Civil War, in law, and until the Orange Revolution, in practice.

Wiser monarchs than Charles I of course tended to exercise that power with restraint.
    The King can still force a general election and dissolve Parliament if a PM has refused to hold one after the 5 year term of his government has elapsed
    Try learning our constitution.

One happens automatically by law, the King doesn't choose.
    Where do you go to learn that unwritten constitution
    You could try educating yourself in school, university, library, websites etc

Our constitution may not be written in a single document but we absolutely do have constitutional arrangements and much of it, like the statute that determines the latest an election will be, is written down.
  • Options

Farooq said:

He'll go October 31st 2024 or November 7th 2024 to really piss me and other political gamblers off.

If you find yourself short of funds for betting, you could sell some of your shoes

A UK general election and US presidential election within days of each other will be a challenge.

I raised this issue back in January when I wrote a thread asking ‘Can you cope with two massive elections at the same time?’

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/01/01/can-you-cope-with-two-massive-elections-at-the-same-time/

For the LOLs.

How many pairs of shoes would you need to sell to pay for an 8 week round the world cruise? Two?
    Should really be how many pairs of shoes would TSE stop himself from buying to pay for an 8 week round the world cruise: rough guess a dozen Louis Vuittons or Church’s.

High end footwear is one of these areas where brands take the piss. Another thing to blame on Russian oligarchs and crims I’d suggest.

Based on photos you've shared previously I would question your use of the word "wearable" in this context.
    Don't cast shade on the cultural practises of an oppressed minority - in this case, expensive lawyers in finance.

That's the kind of behaviour that gets you sent to ConHome.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

I agree with Mike. Sunak will hold on until the law compels him to go to the people. Unless he can find a way to change the law.

Is there provision for a Royal Prerogative extension anymore? We are at proxy war with Russia.

'Never' is too strong a word. Until 1668 (I suppose technically 1641) parliaments were called and dismissed at the pleasure of the monarch so elections were irregular. The Triennial Act 1641 stated that there must be elections every three years in England. Ironically, the first parliament elected under it sat for nineteen years. In 1688 one of the clauses under which William of Orange was made King by Parliament was that he would honour the triennial acts.

So I suppose you could say the monarch *did* have that power until the Civil War, in law, and until the Orange Revolution, in practice.

Wiser monarchs than Charles I of course tended to exercise that power with restraint.
    The King can still force a general election and dissolve Parliament if a PM has refused to hold one after the 5 year term of his government has elapsed

Our constitution may not be written in a single document but we absolutely do have constitutional arrangements and much of it, like the statute that determines the latest an election will be, is written down.
    Uncodified, not unwritten.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

I have taught entire lessons on how our constitution is 'uncodified' not 'unwritten.'
  • Options

Nadine Dorries has written a book called THE PLOT: THE POLITICAL ASSASSINATION OF BORIS JOHNSON

Oddly enough, I might read it.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,867

Do we think the cover will involve a literal depiction of a knife in the back?
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Farooq said:

For the LOLs.

Current footwear.

Love these, they glow in the dark/under the right lights.

• Options
    edited July 2023

Farooq said:

For the LOLs.

Current footwear.

All the beige......

Edit: what about - https://www.asics.com/gb/en-gb/noosa-tri-14/p/1011B368-700.html?size=9.5&width=Standard&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnrmlBhDHARIsADJ5b_nb308Q_WjrK_l5Z0o7l7LjecdHhF7NInMNgjHSqYuy0iYSoiyDas0aAi39EALw_wcB
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,807
    edited July 2023
    Two points in this video

1. Steve Bray is boring. Go away

2. What on earth is Lisa Nandy wearing? This is not a “necklace” moment but that skirt and shoe combo suggests cosplay, and implies sub/kitten

https://twitter.com/snb19692/status/1679016055656574976?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Oddly enough, I might read it.
    This post requires an intervention.
  • Options
    148grss said:

She was pretty cut up by it.
  • Options

A repulsive article.

Are we surprised? I mean, the Tories have never exactly been mask on when it comes to their political calculus. And they can always go "we don't mean this in the cynical race baity way it totally sounds like, we mean this in the way that shows that Starmer actually was bad at his job as the states number one cop enthusiast". The big problem for CCHQ is that, alas, Starmer is so much of a cop enthusiast they will unlikely find such an example - SKS went out of his way to punitively criminalise as many individuals as possible in the London riots and so on, so I think it is unlikely they will find an example of him being lax on individual people who committed a crime who then went on to do more crimes.
  • Options

Farooq said:

For the LOLs.

Current footwear.

Remarkably sober choice from you.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,404
    148grss said:

Do you think it'll be in Fiction or Non Fiction?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,711
    Nigelb said:

A repulsive article.

I think they perhaps got confused by the well known dictum "every PM needs a Willie" ?

William Atkinson is ConservativeHome's Assistant Editor. He graduated from Oxford, where he studied History, in 2021. He then worked as a teacher in North London before joining ConservativeHome in March 2022.

What is it about right wing teachers? Especially the ones who only do it as a sort of gap year?

In terms of the substance, all political parties in a hole are tempted to go personal and negative, because it's all that's left to them. I suspect that the ones that ignore the temptation (see the Faust advert that wasn't shown in 1997) don't do any worse in the end and are probably wiser.

Could the US-style savaging work without their system of paid-for TV ads, anyway? Perhaps with social media.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Nigelb said:

A repulsive article.

William Atkinson is ConservativeHome's Assistant Editor. He graduated from Oxford, where he studied History, in 2021. He then worked as a teacher in North London before joining ConservativeHome in March 2022.

What is it about right wing teachers? Especially the ones who only do it as a sort of gap year?

In terms of the substance, all political parties in a hole are tempted to go personal and negative, because it's all that's left to them. I suspect that the ones that ignore the temptation (see the Faust advert that wasn't shown in 1997) don't do any worse in the end and are probably wiser.

Could the US-style savaging work without their system of paid-for TV ads, anyway? Perhaps with social media.
    I would say, rather, what is it about Oxford history graduates?

Edit - incidentally, difficult to imagine he worked as a teacher for just six months. That isn't time to qualify. So either he was in a private school, or he was on some joke programme like TeachFirst, or he was a TA.
  • Options

148grss said:

The remainder bin.
    Which, for a Brexiteer, will sting.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Two points in this video

2. What on earth is Lisa Nandy wearing? This is not a “necklace” moment but that skirt and shoe combo suggests cosplay, and implies sub/kitten

https://twitter.com/snb19692/status/1679016055656574976?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

3. Who it what is the twat in the hat ?
  • Options
    Jury rules document found in Aretha Franklin's couch is valid will
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66170679
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Two points in this video

3. Who it what is the twat in the hat ?
    Steve “Brexit” Bray. Still. Someone tell him to give it up
  • Options
    Compare and contrast

Cosplay kitten/sub

Lisa Nandy, Shadow Minister for Housing

Not a Definite Necklace-type Gotcha, but she’s definitely referencing cosplay. Can’t believe it’s unwitting
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,087

A repulsive article.

CCHQ must leverage its leader's complete lack of exploitable life experience.
  • Options
    Amendment to Dissolution and Calling of Parliament Act 2022

Section 4.
    4.Automatic dissolution of Parliament after five years

If it has not been dissolved earlier, a Parliament dissolves at the beginning of the day that is the fifth anniversary of the day on which it first met.

Replace replace "five" with "thousand", replace "fifth" with "thousandth"

AYES to the right
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,346

Nigelb said:

A repulsive article.

It's a shame Major never ran with the Faust ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcxzBr-Wihg

It doubt it would have done him much good, but it would have been a classic of the genre. Given what subsequently learnt about New Labour, it seems quite poignant in retrospect.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,076
    On insects - I'd encourage those with cars to do the Bugs Matter reg plate survey (you count the number of insects you wipe out during a drive).

The latest data shows a drop of 64% between 2004 and 2022. 😮
  • Options

148grss said:

They're a non fiction publisher... She may as well just call it "Boris' Struggle" and be done with it
  • Options
    148grss said:

148grss said:

They're a non fiction publisher... She may as well just call it "Boris' Struggle" and be done with it
    Harper Collins published my copy of The Lord of the Rings.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,167
    No mention of Mr Gove on a quick word search? This is very much on topic, as it can't do much for Mr Sunak's hopes. Getting bad news out of the way early?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/12/gove-department-hands-back-19bn-meant-tackle-england-housing-crisis

"Michael Gove’s department is handing back £1.9bn to the Treasury originally meant to tackle England’s housing crisis after struggling to find projects to spend it on.

The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC) has surrendered hundreds of millions of pounds budgeted for 2022-23, including £255m meant to fund new affordable housing and £245m meant to improve building safety.

Officials said the department was unable to spend the money, which accounts for about a third of its entire housing budget, thanks to rising interest rates and uncertainty in the housing market after the Covid-19 pandemic."
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Two noew Spanish polls today with healthy 8-9 point leads for PP suggesting they're on course to win a week on Sunday and to be able to rule with the support of Vox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2023_Spanish_general_election
  • Options
    Just heard an interesting... statement

That the planned Rheinmetall plant in Ukraine is already being scoped to produce the KF51
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Eabhal said:

On insects - I'd encourage those with cars to do the Bugs Matter reg plate survey (you count the number of insects you wipe out during a drive).

It is a quiet catastrophe. Again I reference the number of times I’ve been bitten by mosquitoes. It has plunged in the last 10 years, and the decline seems to be speeding up

And it’s not like I’ve stopped going to hot mosquitoey places. They critters aren’t out there any more
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

No mention of Mr Gove on a quick word search? This is very much on topic, as it can't do much for Mr Sunak's hopes. Getting bad news out of the way early?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/12/gove-department-hands-back-19bn-meant-tackle-england-housing-crisis

"Michael Gove’s department is handing back £1.9bn to the Treasury originally meant to tackle England’s housing crisis after struggling to find projects to spend it on.

The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC) has surrendered hundreds of millions of pounds budgeted for 2022-23, including £255m meant to fund new affordable housing and £245m meant to improve building safety.

Officials said the department was unable to spend the money, which accounts for about a third of its entire housing budget, thanks to rising interest rates and uncertainty in the housing market after the Covid-19 pandemic."

I think that HMT was looking for £2bn to fund the pay awards this year? This should help.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Harper Collins published my copy of The Lord of the Rings.
    The letter says it was negotiated by their NonFiction publisher
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,229
    Leon said:

Compare and contrast

Cosplay kitten/sub

Not a Definite Necklace-type Gotcha, but she’s definitely referencing cosplay. Can’t believe it’s unwitting

Have a cold shower.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,091
    Could have been worse, people might have mistaken him for a Max Verstappen fan…

• Options

Leon said:

Compare and contrast

Cosplay kitten/sub

Have a cold shower.
    The point of Nipponese cosplay is that you can find a costume to match just about everything, from the eldritch lords of the depths to merchant bankers. So, pure coincidence.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I think that HMT was looking for £2bn to fund the pay awards this year? This should help.
    Indeed. Actually, now you mention it that's a suspicious coincidence. Or am I being too cynical in my barrel on PB?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,196
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

It is a quiet catastrophe. Again I reference the number of times I’ve been bitten by mosquitoes. It has plunged in the last 10 years, and the decline seems to be speeding up

And it’s not like I’ve stopped going to hot mosquitoey places. They critters aren’t out there any more
    Seems a benign form of catastrophe to me

• Options
    For those wondering how they lit the bonfires in NI. Not pleasant job for one of them.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1678899340654391296
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Compare and contrast

Cosplay kitten/sub

Have a cold shower.
    The point of Nipponese cosplay is that you can find a costume to match just about everything, from the eldritch lords of the depths to merchant bankers. So, pure coincidence.
    Perhaps. Or it is just the infiltration of kink/fetish wear into everyday fashion

But if Nandy was off to a sexy party in that outfit then she would absolutely be identifying as a sub-kitten in Lolita shoes

Intriguingly, she even adopts the classic lolita stance. The two shoes pointing coquettishly together. All she needs is a finger placed vertically over her pouting, questioning “aren’t I cute” mouth
  • Options
    viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

If you do not have outdoor carpets you have never lived Viewcode. I picked it up living in USA, have several here for the patio but given the weather dif

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Claim of Rights is enough
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,711
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Compare and contrast

Cosplay kitten/sub

Have a cold shower.
    Perhaps. Or it is just the infiltration of kink/fetish wear into everyday fashion

But if Nandy was off to a sexy party in that outfit then she would absolutely be identifying as a sub-kitten in Lolita shoes

Intriguingly, she even adopts the classic lolita stance. The two shoes pointing coquettishly together. All she needs is a finger placed vertically over her pouting, questioning “aren’t I cute” mouth
    Cold. Shower. Now.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    malcolmg said:

For those wondering how they lit the bonfires in NI. Not pleasant job for one of them.

Looks like they've failed to do a proper risk assessment.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Fewer insects means fewer birds and fewer flowering plants, this will reduce numbers of flora including harvestable fruits. The depletion of a significant source of protein at the bottom of the food chain is a way to have significant cascading effects leading to destruction of whole ecologies.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,142
    Leon said:

Compare and contrast

Cosplay kitten/sub

Maybe it’s a subtle dig at painting over the Disney cartoon and she’s dressed like Minnie Mouse.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,188
    "Northstowe: The broken-promise new town built 'with no heart'"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-66156561
  • Options
    148grss said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Fewer insects means fewer birds and fewer flowering plants, this will reduce numbers of flora including harvestable fruits. The depletion of a significant source of protein at the bottom of the food chain is a way to have significant cascading effects leading to destruction of whole ecologies.
    Hence the importance of such things as Mrs C's front garden. Some may laugh, or deplore the lack of a neat lawn/ootside rug, but the local honeybees sure like it. As well as the berries on the fruit trees, for the birds, come to think of it. We even get waxwings on occasion, eating the berries on the hedge just outside the bay window where I sit and read.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,196
    148grss said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Just fewer mosquitos would suit me, midges too for that matter. I leave the full doom-mongery to others

• Options
    I’ve done a Google search and I can’t find any images of Nandy wearing anything as suggestively kinky as that. So you can all put your Kleenex away. It’s not like Truss where there were hundreds of images of her in increasingly obvious BDSM-adjacent outfits/jewellery

Perhaps she simply doesn’t realise how it looks or she is in the very early days of a new lifestyle
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

Looks like they've failed to do a proper risk assessment.
    hey, they replaced the car tires with pallet wood. Which is full of toxic chemicals, but you can't get to 100% in one go....
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Not when all the birds, that eat mosquitoes, likewise die out. And we know birdlife is also in steep decline

It looks fucking grim, frankly
  • Options

Just heard an interesting... statement

That the planned Rheinmetall plant in Ukraine is already being scoped to produce the KF51

Could you elaborate a bit please? I have a vague and possibly wrong notion that Rheinmetall is a German firm who were pressuring the German gov not to supply Ukraine with weapons...? What is the KF51?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Could have been worse, people might have mistaken him for a Max Verstappen fan…

Haha yeah it’s funny on one level. Lads, lads, lads, lager, lager, lager, and all that.

On the other just pause and reflect for a second - this government has made it legal for people to be challenged and if necessary detained for a slogan on a t-shirt.

If it’d been a Labour government doing this, getting people stopped for slogans on t-shirts - maybe something like ‘Bring back foxhunting’ - the right would be going batshit crazy.

The right are sanguine because this is directed at an issue they disagree with, and they are happy to flirt with authoritarianism. If not some kind form of fascism. I don’t think it’s an exaggeration, or premature, to drop the f-bomb now.

This government is intent on stripping us of rights. EU citizenship, the right to protest. What’s next?
    And, of course, our rightists cannot now complain if a different government indeed has Plod stop and arrest people for supporting animal cruelty on T-shirts. Upsets lots of folk, does fox hunting.
This discussion has been closed.