Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

My guess: Sunak will wait until 2025 for the election – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,340
    edited July 2023
    Word of caution....the website mentioned below & its owner who are naming the presenter has a very very iffy reputation. The MSM wouldn't touch them as a source with a bargepole. They ran loads of Schofield stories which were ahead of MSM and true, but in the past they also ran hugh amount of fake news.

If you think say OrderOrder and Paul Staines are a bit iffy, they are gold standard Times of London level outlet compared to the site mentioned.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,138
    Cookie said:

Regarding person X, surely this one is now beyond whether the alleged actions were illegal. It is now about the tenability of their job to do what they do. As this hatchet job was entirely about attacking the BBC (and with it the "leftie woke blob") the BBC-hating-for-commercial-reasons outlet pushing this story doesn't care if the supposed victim denies it.

Legality doesn't matter. They simply want to hurt the BBC. And do not tell me this isn't part of the Tory election strategy. We saw that ConHome piece posted a little earlier, which itself ties into the "Sunak let off Saville" smear.

The Tories - the party of painting over Mickey Mouse - want to play the moral majority card. The only thing they have left is to persuade people that the real story this week is person X and the evil BBC leftie management, and definitely not Boris! refusing to comply with the Covid enquiry into why he killed your granny.

You're trying to blame the Conservative Party for this? What about Schofield - was that the Tories too?
    He's a total fruitcake. Ignore.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,020

Cookie said:

Regarding person X, surely this one is now beyond whether the alleged actions were illegal. It is now about the tenability of their job to do what they do. As this hatchet job was entirely about attacking the BBC (and with it the "leftie woke blob") the BBC-hating-for-commercial-reasons outlet pushing this story doesn't care if the supposed victim denies it.

Legality doesn't matter. They simply want to hurt the BBC. And do not tell me this isn't part of the Tory election strategy. We saw that ConHome piece posted a little earlier, which itself ties into the "Sunak let off Saville" smear.

The Tories - the party of painting over Mickey Mouse - want to play the moral majority card. The only thing they have left is to persuade people that the real story this week is person X and the evil BBC leftie management, and definitely not Boris! refusing to comply with the Covid enquiry into why he killed your granny.

You're trying to blame the Conservative Party for this? What about Schofield - was that the Tories too?
    The right's obsession with moral outrage at lefties and luvvies? Yeah. They want to persuade people that its right to be so hardened to basic human decency that you will cheer on Jenrick wanting to make traumatised children stay traumatised.

This is the war against woke - literally their social agenda.
    I think you're trying to find a link between two stories which simply isn't there.
    What the Sun are doing is what the Sun always do - find a story which is going to get people to click on their website or buy their paper. Saying that this is part of some plot (by whom?) to, er, I don't know, stop the UK taking child refugees, or win the Tories the next election seems a massive leap.
    And Presenter X may not be the right's cup of tea but he hardly personifies woke. He seems an odd target to bring down.
    This isn't a conspiracy, this is selling newspapers.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,519

On Thread. Can you imagine A PM calling a GE over Christmas? People voting in the darkest days of January! How many extra Con MPs would lose their seats. Ten, twenty, thirty? They would go in May 2024 if the background wasn't so awful. If the locals give any encouragement then they will go straight after them. If not - it will be after a rousing (?) conference.

A January election would be an historically bad call. But then this is the current Con Party and bad calls are their USP

The January 2025 scenario is that Sunak refuses to call an election.

If Sunak calls an early election, he will either need the support of his cabinet or the iron will to simply go to the palace and dare them to intervene. If chunks of the cabinet and whole swathes of the parliamentary party are going to lose their seats in said early election, there is a big incentive not to do so.

Alternatively, simply let this parliament expire. Legally it ceases to be after 5 years, the civil service will then advise on the date, and the party that ran "enemies of the people" at the judiciary can spin that the people's parliament is being forced to stop due to woke leftist lawyers in the blob.
    His cabinet doesn’t come into it. The prerogative is exercised by the monarch on the advice of the Prime Minister.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,726

Mr. grss, "Man commits legal activity" isn't a great story.

That would depend on the individual.
    I can think of a couple of cases where it would almost come as a surprise.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,020

Word of caution....the website mentioned below & its owner who are naming the presenter has a very very iffy reputation. The MSM wouldn't touch them as a source with a bargepole. They ran loads of Schofield stories which were ahead of MSM and true, but in the past they also ran hugh amount of fake news.

If you think say OrderOrder and Paul Staines are a bit iffy, they are gold standard Times of London level outlet compared to the site mentioned.

Yes - I don't think it's particularly surprising that the presenter named by the site is the one in question - that's the name most people seem to have heard - but whether he is guilty of the accusations is another matter entirely. At the very least, things still seem to be murky. The site could simply be reporting the same rumours many of us have heard, which may all stem from the same conjecture.
    I see the splendidly named Finlay Bean hit another century for Yorkshire yesterday.

Mr Bean's test team may yet become a reality.
    Republican Senators are not very bright.

Ron Johnson: "I was at Zelenskyy's inauguration. I think he was very sincere in his desire to have peace w/ Russia. This was after Russia had already invaded Crimea, eastern Ukraine. He wanted to do a peace deal w/ Putin. I don't know what happened in the intervening time period"
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1679108382412636160
    US continues to do rather better than us on inflation.

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1679106102426836993
    U.S CORE CPI (MOM) (JUN) ACTUAL: 0.2% VS 0.4% PREVIOUS; EST 0.3%

U.S CORE CPI (YOY) (JUN) ACTUAL: 4.8% VS 5.3% PREVIOUS; EST 5.0%
This discussion has been closed.