Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters think the Tories will lose ALL the July by-elections – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,723
edited July 2023 in General
imagePunters think the Tories will lose ALL the July by-elections – politicalbetting.com

We are only nine days away from the July 20th by-elections where the Tories are defending three seats. Mid-Bedfordshire, as we have noted several times, might never happen because the Tory incumbent, Nadine Dorries, has yet to resign.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,815
    First, like libel lawyers
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Punters are right
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    How long before the amol rajan interview?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

New article in the Spectator.

"America’s fierce guilt for slavery is understandable – we mustn’t import it
    Sean Thomas"

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/americas-fierce-guilt-for-slavery-is-understandable-we-mustnt-import-it/

Not today, Satan
    Guess what Satan's home is an anagram of?
    Is it "Byronic"?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    80%for lab in Selby seems too certain I think
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,542
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

New article in the Spectator.

"America’s fierce guilt for slavery is understandable – we mustn’t import it
    Sean Thomas"

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/americas-fierce-guilt-for-slavery-is-understandable-we-mustnt-import-it/

Not today, Satan
    Guess what Satan's home is an anagram of?
    Is it "Byronic"?
    Sean to a T.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,572
    Gretchen Whitmer is 100 to be Dem candidate.
  • Options

This thread is now over

Or so Heathener told me
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,371
    Farooq said:

This thread is now over

Or so Heathener told me
    It’s only just started!
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

This thread is now over

Or so Heathener told me
    It’s only just started!
    I have just sent you a series of threatening text messages
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    It must have been a nervy morning at The Sun offices, but the champers must be flowing there now
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It must have been a nervy morning at The Sun offices, but the champers must be flowing there now

Owen Jones is trying to do an amusing reverse ferret.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,777
    edited July 2023
    Farooq said:

This thread is now over

Or so Heathener told me
    {panto chorus mode}

Oh, no, it’s not!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,279
    Pulpstar said:

They must feel like running this front page:

• Options
    Andrew Haslam-Jones
    @andrewhj
    In any event, the BBC has now confirmed the identity of the accused presenter to this second, unrelated, complainant and anyone familiar with their case… Not good.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Andrew Haslam-Jones
    @andrewhj
    In any event, the BBC has now confirmed the identity of the accused presenter to this second, unrelated, complainant and anyone familiar with their case… Not good.

Huh?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,639
    Somerton looks absolutely nailed on for the LDs. Unusually for a by-electon, it's a seat that the LDs held in the recent past - for 18 years until 2015 in fact. So the massive national anti-Tory swing will clearly coalesce tactically behind them, just as it did before. The Conservatives are also starting with only 55% of the vote, a relatively low bar, and only 10% ahead of the combined LD, Lab and Green vote in 2019. Then there's the disgraceful conduct of the sitting Tory MP which led to the by-election in the first place. In contrast to Uxbridge, there are no real local issues which might complicate things.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

They must feel like running this front page:

We've sunk *another* Argentinian ship?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,215
    Pulpstar said:

Why? I might be missing something but fail to see how the second complainant proves the veracity of the mother's testimony. The first relationship might still have been perfectly legal.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,101

Farooq said:

This thread is now over

Or so Heathener told me
    {panto chorus mode}

Oh, no, it’s not!
    Is this a meta comment on the BBC story ?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,452

Pulpstar said:

Why? I might be missing something but fail to see how the second complainant proves the veracity of the mother's testimony. The first relationship might still have been perfectly legal.
    This is all such trivial bollocks.

One could be forgiven for thinking it is a Conservative Party owned BBC's attempt to smokescreen mortgage rates hitting 6.66% That's right 666!
  • Options
    It's official - Zuckerberg's Threads is real competition for Musk:

I’m going to be honest with you

I hate Threads even more than Twitter

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1678788217011683328
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,981
    Post Office scandal, Tory MPs censured by Commons, lots of other bad news getting squeezed out.
  • Options
    Twickbait_55Twickbait_55 Posts: 105
    Somerton & Frome seems an almost dead cert' for the Lib-Dems, as does Mid Beds when Mad Nads finally does the decent thing (if ever). Uxbridge looks like a narrow Lab take, possibly Selby too, although that looks much closer. We also have Rutherglen likely to fall, a definite Lab win in the offing.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,662

Pulpstar said:

Depends what you think the story is.

If it's "X is a wrongun in ways that are too awful to describe in a family newspaper", it works as corroboration.

If it's "X has done something illegal", it fails, but since when have red tops worried about such niceties?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,454

Pulpstar said:

One could be forgiven for thinking it is a Conservative Party owned BBC's attempt to smokescreen mortgage rates hitting 6.66% That's right 666!
    You sound a wee bit like @Heathener, and I doubt it is trivia to the parents or the second complainant today or indeed the BBC

• Options
    Twickbait_55Twickbait_55 Posts: 105
    Of course there's also Tamworth looking to be a likely upcoming by-election. Lab looks good for this one.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Andrew Haslam-Jones
    @andrewhj

Qué?!?!?!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,215

Pulpstar said:

Indeed. The number of the beast.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,023
    BBC showing Just Stop Oil how it's done. How many days is this now?

They're going to have to block Heathrow's runways or take out an oil depot next.
  • Options

Post Office scandal, Tory MPs censured by Commons, lots of other bad news getting squeezed out.

Yesterday's news about the Nottingham maternity unit scandal, where many babies may have died, got virtually no notice.
    https://news.sky.com/story/nottingham-maternity-scandal-set-to-be-biggest-in-nhs-as-disregarded-families-demand-apology-12918737

News priorities are ridiculous (or if you're conspiratorially minded, run for government convenience).
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,682

Pulpstar said:

If it's "X is a wrongun in ways that are too awful to describe in a family newspaper", it works as corroboration.

If it's "X has done something illegal", it fails, but since when have red tops worried about such niceties?
    The BBC has confirmed that the second complaint is about the same person as the first complaint.

That might have been damn stupid of them. Suppose I'm a journalist and think it is Basil Brush. In order to confirm my suspicion, I put in a spurious complaint about Mr Brush. If the BBC then tells the world that my complaint and the first complaint are about the same person, then we know Basil Brush sent £35,000 to some 17-20yo crackhead.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    All the President's Men...

From Mike Pence to ‘fake’ electors, here’s who has testified to the January 6 grand jury or met with prosecutors
    https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/11/politics/grand-jury-testimony-list-january-6-trump/index.htm
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Pulpstar said:

You sound a wee bit like @Heathener, and I doubt it is trivia to the parents or the second complainant today or indeed the BBC

With all due respect you seem to be wrapping yourself up in this salacious nonsense.

There is nothing I have read that suggests this is anything, so far at least, other than anti BBC propaganda whipped up by the Murdoch press. Up in arms about the allegation that a 17 year old produced unedifying images of themselves and all this when the Sun spent decades publishing photographs of naked 16 year old girls. Whatever the offence caused by the presenter, the double standard from the Sun is beyond contempt.
  • Options
    felix said:

Andrew Haslam-Jones
    @andrewhj

Qué?!?!?!
    What I said in response to Stuartinromford re Basil Brush.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,473

Pulpstar said:

The BBC has confirmed that the second complaint is about the same person as the first complaint.

That might have been damn stupid of them. Suppose I'm a journalist and think it is Basil Brush. In order to confirm my suspicion, I put in a spurious complaint about Mr Brush. If the BBC then tells the world that my complaint and the first complaint are about the same person, then we know Basil Brush sent £35,000 to some 17-20yo crackhead.
    Brush? He does seem to be lying low. But let's not get Mike into trouble.
  • Options

Andrew Haslam-Jones
    @andrewhj

AHJ seems to be an amiable twit, a Sir Bufton Tufton lib dem. Why does this tweet deserve the oxygen of publicity?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

PB lawyers: Can you libel a hand puppet?
  • Options
    A
    Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

This thread is now over

Or so Heathener told me
    {panto chorus mode}

Oh, no, it’s not!
    Is this a meta comment on the BBC story ?
    {panto chorus mode}

Oh, no, it isn’t!
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

BBC showing Just Stop Oil how it's done. How many days is this now?

They're going to have to block Heathrow's runways or take out an oil depot next.

It's all come far too early to block out the four by-election losses for Sunak though.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Yesterday's news about the Nottingham maternity unit scandal, where many babies may have died, got virtually no notice.
    https://news.sky.com/story/nottingham-maternity-scandal-set-to-be-biggest-in-nhs-as-disregarded-families-demand-apology-12918737

News priorities are ridiculous (or if you're conspiratorially minded, run for government convenience).
    It was pretty high up on the BBC 10 news last night and lead item on local news here in E Mids.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,217
    IanB2 said:

Experienced the Norwegian health service today, dropping in to their A&E because of a troublesome ear infection that hasn’t responded to over-the-counter stuff. My, was it impressive. More than anything it reminded me of the NHS we were supposed to be getting according to that Leave Campaign ad. More staff than patients, clean modern facilities, seen within ten minutes, blood test, doctor inspection, out within 45 minutes with a prescription, all for a £17 fee, the same that Norwegians pay, as my EHIC card hasn’t quite yet expired. Remarkable.

Earlier I did another of Clarkson’s world’s best drives, over the Trollstigen, although it was so cloudy you could hardly see anything. But it was a fun drive.

Since it’s grey and wet today, here’s a photo of a small lake from yesterday, dog for scale.

I'm glad you had a good experience, and I hope you recover soon.

But... when I stupidly broke my elbow in the arse-end of nowhere, Scotland, eight years ago, the GP and hospital service were first class. Really excellent. And that, IMO, is one of the NHS's biggest problems: the service is so incredibly spotty.

And as I said earlier today, the problem is the bad experiences stick longer in your mind than the good.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

News priorities are ridiculous.

They always have been.

Hence message grids, good days to bury bad news etc.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024

Pulpstar said:

Ha ha ha.

BOOM! BOOM!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Only a living one. Basil died in 2005 at the age of 43 in a murder-suicide with Gordon the Gopher so you can say what you like about him.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,066

Pulpstar said:

The hand puppet community must be having serious worries about their world. First Emu gets away with pushing Rod Hull off a roof, then Gordon the Gopher’s bestie gets caught up in a scandal and now Basil Brush. Can you imagine what’s going on round Matthew Corbett’s place with Sooty and Sweep eyeing each other over the kitchen table suspiciously.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

With all due respect you seem to be wrapping yourself up in this salacious nonsense.

There is nothing I have read that suggests this is anything, so far at least, other than anti BBC propaganda whipped up by the Murdoch press. Up in arms about the allegation that a 17 year old produced unedifying images of themselves and all this when the Sun spent decades published photographs of naked 16 year old girls. Whatever the offence caused by the presenter, the double standard from the Sun is beyond contempt.
    Many on here are reporting this crisis for the BBC and you clearly are only believing what you want to believe and downplaying the allegations

Your suggestion I am wrapping myself up in this salacious nonsense is nonsense itself

The whole media are involved in reporting this story and in everything I have said I have cautioned to wait and see how this develops not least to @Heathener this morning who also attempted to close this down
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,081
    edited July 2023

Pulpstar said:

IANAL. But Captain Pugwash springs to mind. Seaman Staines and Roger the C. B. and all that.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,542
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Ha ha ha.

BOOM! BOOM!
    Rottenborough would go pher asking questions like that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

All the President's Men...

From Mike Pence to ‘fake’ electors, here’s who has testified to the January 6 grand jury or met with prosecutors
    https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/11/politics/grand-jury-testimony-list-january-6-trump/index.htm

Link broken for moi.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I still find it very interesting how the NYT story about the Guardian / FT only got a brief mention in the Telegraph and nothing more. There were serious allegations in both behaviour of the guardian journalist, but just as much so that the FT management killed any attempt to report it.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,382
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

The Beeb truly is a den of iniquity.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

There is nothing I have read that suggests this is anything, so far at least, other than anti BBC propaganda whipped up by the Murdoch press. Up in arms about the allegation that a 17 year old produced unedifying images of themselves and all this when the Sun spent decades published photographs of naked 16 year old girls. Whatever the offence caused by the presenter, the double standard from the Sun is beyond contempt.
    Many on here are reporting this crisis for the BBC and you clearly are only believing what you want to believe and downplaying the allegations

Your suggestion I am wrapping myself up in this salacious nonsense is nonsense itself

The whole media are involved in reporting this story and in everything I have said I have cautioned to wait and see how this develops not least to @Heathener this morning who also attempted to close this down
    Nothing like a bit of Tory-approved BBC-bashing, eh, BigG?
  • Options
    "It is hard to dispute the current betting odds"

The Somerton betting odds above add up to 110%...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,279

Pulpstar said:

They probably felt that was better than having people speculate about *two* presenters.
  • Options
    A
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

IANAL. But Captain Pugwash springs to mind. Seaman Staines and Roger the C. B. and all that.
    @Roger is a Companion of The Bath?!
  • Options

A

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Cabin Boy.
  • Options
    For me, the biggest question in this mess is whether the talent used his position and influence to get things he would otherwise not get. In which case the BBC should get rid of him immediately, as it is an abuse of his position. If not - and what happened was legal - then not.

Aside from that, it appears so far to be nowhere near as clear-cut case as Schofield.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It’s not a crisis for the BBC

It’s a crisis for the world of Top Talent - which is only vaguely connected to the BBC, or indeed reality.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,159
    edited July 2023

I still find it very interesting how the NYT story about the Guardian / FT only got a brief mention in the Telegraph and nothing more. There were serious allegations in both behaviour of the guardian journalist, but just as much so that the FT management killed any attempt to report it.

This one? https://www.ekathimerini.com/nytimes/1212221/a-british-reporter-had-a-big-metoo-scoop-her-editor-killed-it/
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    viewcode said:

This one? https://www.ekathimerini.com/nytimes/1212221/a-british-reporter-had-a-big-metoo-scoop-her-editor-killed-it/
    Yes. None of the British media wanted to engage with it, despite it being in the NYTs.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,382

"It is hard to dispute the current betting odds"

The Somerton betting odds above add up to 110%...

I wouldn't worry, it all adds up to a bad night for the Tories.

From a strictly betting viewpoint, I would say betting on them would be the value, but pretty sure they will be three good value losers.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

The BBC do not need any help in making this into their very own crisis
  • Options

This story? I missed it, thanks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/30/world/europe/financial-times-nick-cohen-guardian.html

Particularly as the accused wrote a book: "You Can't Read This Book: Censorship in an Age of Freedom". Censorship probably being fine when it protects him ....
  • Options

For me, the biggest question in this mess is whether the talent used his position and influence to get things he would otherwise not get. In which case the BBC should get rid of him immediately, as it is an abuse of his position. If not - and what happened was legal - then not.

Aside from that, it appears so far to be nowhere near as clear-cut case as Schofield.

And we know no actual facts so far. Apart from, tentatively, the BBC exists*.

*the BBC may or may not actually exist. Nothing in this post should be taken as implying the BBC does or does not exist. Nothing in this post should be taken as implying that implying the BBC exists or not is implied. This post may contain nuts. It may contain nutters. it may contain trained Marxist nutters. The value of posts may go up or down. All wrongs reserved.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,883
    Carnyx said:

A

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Cabin Boy.
    I have heard his mate roman polanski likes to use the back door
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

A

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Cabin Boy.
    With what glue should I reattach your leg?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,578

IanB2 said:

Experienced the Norwegian health service today, dropping in to their A&E because of a troublesome ear infection that hasn’t responded to over-the-counter stuff. My, was it impressive. More than anything it reminded me of the NHS we were supposed to be getting according to that Leave Campaign ad. More staff than patients, clean modern facilities, seen within ten minutes, blood test, doctor inspection, out within 45 minutes with a prescription, all for a £17 fee, the same that Norwegians pay, as my EHIC card hasn’t quite yet expired. Remarkable.

Earlier I did another of Clarkson’s world’s best drives, over the Trollstigen, although it was so cloudy you could hardly see anything. But it was a fun drive.

Since it’s grey and wet today, here’s a photo of a small lake from yesterday, dog for scale.

But... when I stupidly broke my elbow in the arse-end of nowhere, Scotland, eight years ago, the GP and hospital service were first class. Really excellent. And that, IMO, is one of the NHS's biggest problems: the service is so incredibly spotty.

And as I said earlier today, the problem is the bad experiences stick longer in your mind than the good.
    And in two weeks so far I’ve only met one person who wasn’t effectively fluent in English, and that was an old guy up in the hills and even he had a few words. Teaching it at school is one thing, but on that basis most of us in England would be fluent in French, and we’re not.

The fact that the Vikings gifted us so many of our basic words helps a bit - a lot of Norwegian looks like English written by a eight-year-old:

Kvikk Lunsj
    Ambulanse
    Iskrem
    Eple Pai
    Konferanse Senter
    Lokal Taxi
    Vi Er Apen
    Resepsjon
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

And in two weeks so far I’ve only met one person who wasn’t effectively fluent in English, and that was an old guy up in the hills and even he had a few words. Teaching it at school is one thing, but on that basis most of us in England would be fluent in French, and we’re not.

The fact that the Vikings gifted us so many of our basic words helps a bit - a lot of Norwegian looks like English written by a eight-year-old:

Kvikk Lunsj
    Ambulanse
    Iskrem
    Eple Pai
    Konferanse Senter
    Lokal Taxi
    Vi Er Apen
    Resepsjon
    "ambulance" and "reception" are from French
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,159
    Farooq said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Kvikk Lunsj
    Ambulanse
    Iskrem
    Eple Pai
    Konferanse Senter
    Lokal Taxi
    Vi Er Apen
    Resepsjon
    Chauffeur. Cafe. Restaurant
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

The BBC do not need any help in making this into their very own crisis
    I will accept Tim "Tory" Davie has made another pig's ear, turning a drama into a crisis. Someone with impeccable connections promoted way beyond his ability.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Kvikk Lunsj
    Ambulanse
    Iskrem
    Eple Pai
    Konferanse Senter
    Lokal Taxi
    Vi Er Apen
    Resepsjon
    I assume, and hope, he is joking
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Has he shot the BBC fox? or has the brush just been swept under the rug?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

And just remember the uproar there'd be on the left if the NHS here imposed a £17 fee....
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    F1 News: Ricciardo replaces Nyck de Vries

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/66169108

Bloody hell, Red Bull really are savage
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,826
    felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Careful or the lawyers will let you have it with both barrels. Boom, boom!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

A

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Cabin Boy.
    With what glue should I reattach your leg?
    Oh come, that's unfair - it was quite a long time ago and some of us aren't even up to the news of last week never mind that particular case (vide the chaps who didn't know what The Email was). I was only trying to be kind to the challenged.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

OMG I 'd better flee the country - on wait a minute I already did! Phew!
  • Options
    felix said:

IanB2 said:

And just remember the uproar there'd be on the left if the NHS here imposed a £17 fee....
    Under the sovereign wealth fund which Mrs T saved from the oil money?
  • Options
    The Guardian is trolling Boris re his new baby son.

Carrie Johnson, in the caption of an Instagram post with a picture of her holding the newborn, joked: “Welcome to the world Frank Alfred Odysseus Johnson born 5th July at 9.15am. (Can you guess which name my husband chose?!)”

The former prime minister Boris Johnson is keen to be thought of as a scholar of the classics. In Greek mythology, Odysseus leaves behind his wife and child to seek adventure, encountering many other women along the way.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/11/carrie-boris-johnson-announce-birth-baby-boy-frank
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,066
    Omnium said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

I thought lawyers went after foxes with baseball bats?
  • Options
    boulay said:

Omnium said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Only when wearing their wife’s kimonos. It’s an Inner Temple ceremonial thing. Like being on The Square.
  • Options

Carrie Johnson, in the caption of an Instagram post with a picture of her holding the newborn, joked: “Welcome to the world Frank Alfred Odysseus Johnson born 5th July at 9.15am. (Can you guess which name my husband chose?!)”

The former prime minister Boris Johnson is keen to be thought of as a scholar of the classics. In Greek mythology, Odysseus leaves behind his wife and child to seek adventure, encountering many other women along the way.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/11/carrie-boris-johnson-announce-birth-baby-boy-frank

FAO is an unforced error

Odysseus did not leave behind his wife and child to seek adventure, he tried to get out of the whole Trojan thing by feigning madness. Guardian level accuracy.
  • Options
    PB history teachers need to see this film. It turns out they've been lying to us.

He came from nothing. He conquered everything. From acclaimed director Ridley Scott, #Napoleon is Only In Cinemas November 22. Watch the official trailer now.
    https://twitter.com/SonyPicturesUK/status/1678374071598211075
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,715
    CatMan said:

Especially on the guts of folks who guzzle this 3rd-millennium hyper-hell-brew.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

FAO is an unforced error

Odysseus did not leave behind his wife and child to seek adventure, he tried to get out of the whole Trojan thing by feigning madness. Guardian level accuracy.
    Call me Mr Slow on the Uptake but if the baby was born on the 5th, why wait a week? Did Boris have bad news to bury like the non-appearance of his Whatsapp messages and phone? As it happens, this BBC story has kept almost everything out of the headlines.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024

That’s what one might expect from the Mirror, not a supposedly-serious newspaper.

No matter how much you dislike someone, wish them for positive life events.

Interesting NY Times story about the FT and the Guardian though. Something of a fight coming between US and UK media groups I wonder?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,715

PB history teachers need to see this film. It turns out they've been lying to us.

He came from nothing. He conquered everything. From acclaimed director Ridley Scott, #Napoleon is Only In Cinemas November 22. Watch the official trailer now.

So Boney really did bugger Bognor?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,398
    edited July 2023
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Although they did have a Master Mate.

The defamation was based on the character names, or the urban myth around the character names.

Ironic as they are still accepted as fact to this day by many people.

Edit - talking of Cpt Pugwash, the last episode was shown (since oft repeated along with the rest of the show) on this day in 1975. Just popped up on my Facebook feed !
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,398
    boulay said:

Omnium said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Wear the fox hat.
  • Options

boulay said:

Omnium said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Only when wearing their wife’s kimonos. It’s an Inner Temple ceremonial thing. Like being on The Square.
    A great reference when applying for a job presenting on the Beeb I guess...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It is no Beergate though, is it?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079
    Sandpit said:

That’s what one might expect from the Mirror, not a supposedly-serious newspaper.

Interesting NY Times story about the FT and the Guardian though. Something of a fight coming between US and UK media groups I wonder?
    I tend to think "serious" left town when the iPhone arrived, and newspapers had to compete with cat pictures.
  • Options

I saw that this morning, and it made me laugh. He hardly 'came from nothing';

"His parents Carlo Maria di Buonaparte and Maria Letizia Ramolino maintained an ancestral home called "Casa Buonaparte" in Ajaccio."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon

I really don't get all the adoration for Napoleon - and that's not just because I'm British. So many deaths, all for his vanity.
  • Options

"His parents Carlo Maria di Buonaparte and Maria Letizia Ramolino maintained an ancestral home called "Casa Buonaparte" in Ajaccio."

I really don't get all the adoration for Napoleon - and that's not just because I'm British. So many deaths, all for his vanity.
    Napolean almost created a european superstate and you wonder why some adore him?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,093
    CatMan said:

Think there is a certain amount of "how can the car be this bad, let's put an experienced driver in to see where the problem really is" attached to the change.

Red Bull are the top of the manufacturer's championship. AlphaTauri near the bottom....
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 604
    Did

I've been to the house where he was born. It's nothing special.
  • Options
    FPT

felix said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Paul Johnson
    @PJTheEconomist
    ·
    3h
    Private school fees have risen 20% in real terms since 2010 and 55% since 2003. Numbers privately educated have been pretty constant that whole time. Removing tax exemptions likely to have only small effects on numbers. Net benefit to public finances likely to be £1.3-1.5bn p.a.

https://twitter.com/PJTheEconomist/status/1678687484992004096

Paying an extra 20% tomorrow isn't quite the same as 20% more over 10 years. Also be interesting to know the shift in who is attending. Has it shifted to much more reliance on overseas students?
    Short answer: yes.

Labour's proposed changes will have basically no effect on Eton and Harrow. It's the smaller, less selective private schools with specialisms (e.g. music or autism support) which are going to suffer. It's not really a very progressive policy at all.
    If I wanted to target Eton, Harrow, Clifton, Winchester, Westminster, Cheltenham etc my policy would be to disendow all schools registered as charities that charged fees.

I think that would make a very substantial difference to their business models. Either lose your reserves, or pay business rates.

I suspect those ones would also be able to compensate by whacking up the overseas fees, so it wouldn’t make much difference in practice to them.
    Requisition as accommodation for asylum seekers?
    Well, if Johnson went there I suppose it was a sort of asylum.

Incidentally, its endowment fund went up every single year in the past decade, including during Covid. It was worth £568 million in August last year, and that's with the school running at a headline loss.

https://www.etoncollege.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/21-22-ETON-COLLEGE-CONSOLIDATED-Signed.pdf

Now, of course if you disendowed Eton etc that wouldn't be (like VAT) something you should use as income, unless you're Thatcher and Lawson. But it could very easily be used to rebuild a largeish chunk of our collapsing school structures, for example. Which, if a bunch of sane architects rather than the ones for BSF were involved, would not only dramatically improve the environment children are in, and make it safer, but also cut future running costs substantially.

Plus Eton would then undoubtedly charge higher fees to cover all its costs, and as a result the rich would be paying more.

Or alternatively, they become businesses, and account for their profits to the taxman. And pay up.

Meanwhile the smaller private schools - e.g. those that take a largeish number of SEND that the local authority can't find places for in specialist schools because they've all been shut - can keep doing what they do, which is not without disadvantages but would cause more problems than it would solve if it stopped.
    Making some sense here. And I do like the suitably painful sound of 'disendow'. Brutal perhaps but hardly unprovoked imo.

"Look, elitist British public schools, you've been fouling up the place for years, and we've had enough. Time to disendow you. Please prepare yourselves accordingly."
    We really need differential approaches to the elite public schools which have become another global luxury good, like central London property, and the private day schools that mess around in the middle class selective market alongside grammar schools and postcode-based social cleansing.

Both have damaging impacts on British life but in very different ways. One gave us the likes of Boris and JRM but most of what it does is bring in export income. Perhaps we just ringfence the hyper-elite sector like we do Mayfair. Charge a luxury tax on it, a kind of poshness excise duty. The other is more of a serious market failing because its impact is more widespread.

Somehow if we could blur the line between state and private at the mid level we might be able to widen access to the facilities and skills in the independent sector and reduce social gaps in attainment. But don’t ask me how. If the answer was easy we’d have done it already.
    The problem is not that the solution is difficult but that it is expensive.

Cut all classes in the state sector to a maximum of twenty and offer private schools the chance to become state at the same time, and almost all private schools would become state schools overnight.

Plus it would solve many other problems, including making behaviour management much easier.

But - nobody has ever found a way to pay for it, and it would not be cheap.
    It would pay for itself over time by leading to improved educational outcomes and higher productivity. The fact we don't do it is another example of our aversion to investment in this country. Plus of course the fact that it would undermine the advantages that the rich and powerful are buying for their offspring.
    I entirely agree. But it will still never happen.
    Maybe, like with the idea of Brexit as shock therapy with a short term cost that would force us to adopt policies that paid off in the long term, we need to simply shut down all private schools and see what happens. It may be the only way to create a sufficiently powerful political constituency for adequately funded schools in the long run, even if in the short run it will make things worse.
    Can I just check - are you a Rejoiner?
    At some point I think we will rejoin because Brexit has made us poorer and because the people who found the EU most offensive are old and we all know what happens to old people. I would welcome us rejoining, but I'm not agitating for it if that's what you mean.
    Historically the proportion of oldies in the UK is continuing to grow so your point may lack some of the force you intended.
    Brexit backers were a specific generation of old people. Those who grew up in the 50s and 60s who remembered their youth before the EEC and (to an extent) have always mourned its loss. (Fun fact: young people were the most hostile to the EEC in the 1975 referendum).

Apply that same logic to the incoming generation of not-yet-old people. We grew up in the 70s and 80s; Brexit has taken a chunk of our youth away from us. We maybe fools for thinking that way, but foolishness is part of the human condition. Based on the precedent of the boomers above us, there's no particular reason to think we'll change our mind as we get older and grumpier.

Imagine a graph of Brexit support against age. It's roughly a straight line bottom left to top right. The changes since 2016 are partly about that line moving down (Brexit seen as not a good idea) but also moving right (time doing its thing, and people carrying their prejudices with them as they age). Trouble is that, unless you track individuals, it's not easy to tell those two effects apart by looking at the graph.
    Correction brexit backers are the people who voted yes to stay in back in the 70's and after watching how it evolved over 50 odd years when yeah no thanks. People who never saw the alternative of pre eu went yes we want to stay in.

The only demographic that had both experiences told the eu to fuck off. Those that only knew one side stayed sucking at mummy eu's teat
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Not that interesting or it would have taken off when it was posted to pb weeks ago.
This discussion has been closed.