Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters think the Tories will lose ALL the July by-elections – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,542
    Off topic: Mitch McConnell defends the independence of the US Supreme Court. And he has the numbers on his side:
    "During the latest term, according to calculations produced by my staff, the court reached a unanimous outcome in about 45 percent of the 57 cases it heard. Yes, the Biden administration lost in Axon Enterprise v. Federal Trade Commission, but so did the state of Alabama in Allen v. Milligan. When the court put a stop to union thuggery in Glacier Northwest v. International Brotherhood of Teamsters, it ruled 8-1. When it declined to stop Biden’s outrageous open-borders policies, the margin was the same.

Of course, some cases are more wide-ranging than others. But only about 9 percent of this term’s cases produced the 6-3 decision commentators use to warn of hyperpolarization on the court. Even fewer cases — only about 5 percent — had five Republican-appointed justices make up a 5-4 majority. On the other hand, about 16 percent of the cases were decided by a majority coalition of the court’s three liberal justices joined by Republican-appointed justices."
    (Links omitted.)

source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/07/10/mitch-mcconnell-supreme-court-ideology/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tra-la-la

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Post Office scandal, Tory MPs censured by Commons, lots of other bad news getting squeezed out.

The latest developments in the Post Office Inquiry - yet more postponements because the Post Office still hasn't disclosed all the documents it has been ordered to - and the Nottingham maternity hospital scandal are far more important stories than the sex life of some BBC presenter.

But will be ignored. Sigh!

I fear the judge in the Post Office Inquiry is too weak and the Post Office are playing him as they did to all the other courts which have tried to hold them to account. Badenoch is doing fuck all and every day she does fuck all about this she demonstrates that she does not have what it takes to be a leader.

I am so angry about this because this is a scandal caused in great part by the legal profession and by internal investigators behaving very unprofessionally and disgracefully indeed. So it pains me to see my profession behaving so badly - not just in the events which caused this scandal - but now in the inquiry set up to find out the truth and hold them to account.

People have died. It is atrocious.

How on earth is this not contempt of court? Surely a strong judge would be banging people up at this point.
    That's why I said that I fear the judge is weak. Or he thinks the government will not back him if he takes stronger action than simply yet more "I am very disappointed"statements.

The Post Office have behaved like this throughout. As an organisation they seem to have utter contempt for judges and the courts. The Board is appointed by the government. I can't help feeling that they're behaving like this because they know the government won't really take - or allow - any action to be taken against them.

The government's strategy is I think what I wrote here - https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/05/08/the-cheque-is-in-the-post/.

"To wait until everyone is dead, then quietly bury whatever report is produced while those responsible get away with it and carry on making money."

The scope of the inquiry is deliberately limited:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/post-office-horizon-it-inquiry-2020/terms-of-reference

And, as you say, without the backing of the minister, inquires are fairly powerless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inquiries_Act_2005
    … the Act repealed the entirety of the Tribunals of Inquiry (Evidence) Act 1921 which had allowed Parliament to vote on a resolution establishing a tribunal that had "all such powers, rights, and privileges as are vested in the High Court" and placed the power solely under the control of a Minister.

What is outrageous is that it’s reasonably likely that some Post Office lawyers will have committed criminal offences in their roles in the whole sorry mess - and are unlikely to be subject to investigation, let alone prosecution.
    This will sound hyperbolic but what the state has done and is doing to these people is evil.

The state owns the Post Office. Its creature imposed a flawed accounting system which invented crimes. It prosecuted people for crimes which never happened and bullied others into paying money they didn't owe. And when this was eventually uncovered it has set up a limited inquiry which is being delayed by continuing Post Office failings. It has done nothing to control the Board. Nor has it ensured an effective and timely compensation scheme.

This has caused and is continuing to cause real suffering and distress to people who placed their trust in the state and in an organization which they thought was a worthy entity delivering services to local communities. That trust has been wholly misplaced and they are now being treated with contempt and callousness.

Were I one of those unfortunates - after everything that has happened - I would not be waiting for an inquiry report. I'd be digging up flagstones ready to hurl them at the absolute ***** responsible for this.
    All details that emerge from this story are beyond depressing, it seems to have been an utter disaster from start to finish, and it seems pretty improbable anything will be learned by those responsible, given the reactions. I know someone who was caught up in it, one of the nicest people you'd ever meet, and even as someone not as badly affected as the worst were it's been a weight on them for years.

Inquiry reports might be very good, but if they arrive in an atmosphere that is unreceptive it is no good. The garden must be prepared for the plant.
    There are a couple of aspects that are baffling to me. One is why the current ministers are so reticent about pursuing the issue. None of them personally will have been around when the decisions were made at ministerial level that allowed this to happen, and to persist for so long, so what do they have to lose?

The second is why this isn't a much more prominent issue that arouses public anger?
    Ministers are useless and have no moral compass or political sense.

Badenoch should have seized on this to show that she could get things done, put matters right and had more to her than just uttering criticisms of daft ideas. She doesn't understand that you should be in politics to try and achieve something and putting right a miscarriage of justice is one hell of an achievement.

I think the public that do know about it do feel anger. But there is also a sense of helplessness in the face of a state which seems to have lost any sense of public service, which seems capricious, incompetent and self-serving.

And journalists - well they're more interested in w**king stories about their colleagues, apparently. Nick Wallis has had to crowd fund his pursuit of this story. Computer Weekly journalists have done more real journalism than any of the so-called big names in the MSM.
    Why aren't Labour making an issue of it? Who even is the Shadow Business Secretary?
    Jonathan Reynolds apparently.

Never heard of him.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Post Office scandal, Tory MPs censured by Commons, lots of other bad news getting squeezed out.

The latest developments in the Post Office Inquiry - yet more postponements because the Post Office still hasn't disclosed all the documents it has been ordered to - and the Nottingham maternity hospital scandal are far more important stories than the sex life of some BBC presenter.

I fear the judge in the Post Office Inquiry is too weak and the Post Office are playing him as they did to all the other courts which have tried to hold them to account. Badenoch is doing fuck all and every day she does fuck all about this she demonstrates that she does not have what it takes to be a leader.

I am so angry about this because this is a scandal caused in great part by the legal profession and by internal investigators behaving very unprofessionally and disgracefully indeed. So it pains me to see my profession behaving so badly - not just in the events which caused this scandal - but now in the inquiry set up to find out the truth and hold them to account.

How on earth is this not contempt of court? Surely a strong judge would be banging people up at this point.
    That's why I said that I fear the judge is weak. Or he thinks the government will not back him if he takes stronger action than simply yet more "I am very disappointed"statements.

The Post Office have behaved like this throughout. As an organisation they seem to have utter contempt for judges and the courts. The Board is appointed by the government. I can't help feeling that they're behaving like this because they know the government won't really take - or allow - any action to be taken against them.

The government's strategy is I think what I wrote here - https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/05/08/the-cheque-is-in-the-post/.

"To wait until everyone is dead, then quietly bury whatever report is produced while those responsible get away with it and carry on making money."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/post-office-horizon-it-inquiry-2020/terms-of-reference

And, as you say, without the backing of the minister, inquires are fairly powerless.

… the Act repealed the entirety of the Tribunals of Inquiry (Evidence) Act 1921 which had allowed Parliament to vote on a resolution establishing a tribunal that had "all such powers, rights, and privileges as are vested in the High Court" and placed the power solely under the control of a Minister.

What is outrageous is that it’s reasonably likely that some Post Office lawyers will have committed criminal offences in their roles in the whole sorry mess - and are unlikely to be subject to investigation, let alone prosecution.
    This will sound hyperbolic but what the state has done and is doing to these people is evil.

The state owns the Post Office. Its creature imposed a flawed accounting system which invented crimes. It prosecuted people for crimes which never happened and bullied others into paying money they didn't owe. And when this was eventually uncovered it has set up a limited inquiry which is being delayed by continuing Post Office failings. It has done nothing to control the Board. Nor has it ensured an effective and timely compensation scheme.

This has caused and is continuing to cause real suffering and distress to people who placed their trust in the state and in an organization which they thought was a worthy entity delivering services to local communities. That trust has been wholly misplaced and they are now being treated with contempt and callousness.

Were I one of those unfortunates - after everything that has happened - I would not be waiting for an inquiry report. I'd be digging up flagstones ready to hurl them at the absolute ***** responsible for this.
    All details that emerge from this story are beyond depressing, it seems to have been an utter disaster from start to finish, and it seems pretty improbable anything will be learned by those responsible, given the reactions. I know someone who was caught up in it, one of the nicest people you'd ever meet, and even as someone not as badly affected as the worst were it's been a weight on them for years.

Inquiry reports might be very good, but if they arrive in an atmosphere that is unreceptive it is no good. The garden must be prepared for the plant.
    People have served prison time, people have killed themselves. The people responsible will at worst get sacked with a golden parachute with a higher paid job to walk into the next day with a golden hello.

They should all be serving jail time for involuntary manslaughter for those that died as far up as it can be proved it goes including the minister responsible....wont fucking happen of course because those people are untouchable and lessons have been learnt or some shit like that.

One day there is going to be someone who goes fuck official justice and starts meting out his or her own
    And I wouldn't blame them, frankly. If the official channels refuse to work, what the hell do we expect to happen.

I really think the authorities have no idea how dangerous it is - when stuff goes wrong - for them to fail to put matters right. It breeds cynicism, despair and, ultimately, a fuck you approach to the very idea that the state is or should be capable of administering justice and correcting its mistakes. If the state cannot do that what is the point of it and why should anyone support it?

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:
    Newsom worth a punt there, methinks
    Newsom would give the election to Trump or De Santis on a plate.

He is a liberal elite governor of California, a million miles from what the rustbelt swing states want in their President. The Democrats may as well stick with Biden if Newsom is the alternative
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Since it came up in conversation earlier, I thought it'd be fun to dig this out from November 2021:

Leon said:
    Putin's entire speech at Valdai is worth reading, even if it has become known for these paragraphs and others

http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/66975

"We look in amazement at the processes underway in the countries which have been traditionally looked at as the standard-bearers of progress. Of course, the social and cultural shocks that are taking place in the United States and Western Europe are none of our business; we are keeping out of this. Some people in the West believe that an aggressive elimination of entire pages from their own history, “reverse discrimination” against the majority in the interests of a minority, and the demand to give up the traditional notions of mother, father, family and even gender, they believe that all of these are the mileposts on the path towards social renewal."

"The advocates of so-called ‘social progress’ believe they are introducing humanity to some kind of a new and better consciousness. Godspeed, hoist the flags as we say, go right ahead. The only thing that I want to say now is that their prescriptions are not new at all. It may come as a surprise to some people, but Russia has been there already. After the 1917 revolution, the Bolsheviks, relying on the dogmas of Marx and Engels, also said that they would change existing ways and customs and not just political and economic ones, but the very notion of human morality and the foundations of a healthy society. The destruction of age-old values, religion and relations between people, up to and including the total rejection of family (we had that, too), encouragement to inform on loved ones – all this was proclaimed progress and, by the way, was widely supported around the world back then and was quite fashionable, same as today. By the way, the Bolsheviks were absolutely intolerant of opinions other than theirs."

He is right. He is absolutely right

Read it all. This is the best, smartest, most wisely wide-ranging speech I have heard from any global political leader in a decade. And this is PUTIN

Farooq said:
    It's a streak of revanchist bearshit. Putin is just doing the normal Putin thing of projecting his own faults onto others. His country is the intolerant one, jailing and murdering journalists by the dozen, invading neighbours, pumping out homophobic and race-baiting propaganda, toying with fascist themes whilst accusing liberals, soclialists and Jews of being Nazis. Strafing mosques in Syria with fire and chemicals then saying that Merkel is to blame for the wave of refugees that flee the barrel bombs and missiles.

If you really buy into Putin's crap, you are lost in a spiral of darkness deeper and darker than I thought.

Leon said:
    Yawwwwwn

Putin was right. Some times evil c*nts can be right. Go figure

His accurate analysis of the West may, in fact, have led to his terrible error of invading Ukraine. He thougnt we were so weakened by this Woke shit we would not fight back
    That just helps prove he was wrong
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

Off topic: Mitch McConnell defends the independence of the US Supreme Court. And he has the numbers on his side:
    "During the latest term, according to calculations produced by my staff, the court reached a unanimous outcome in about 45 percent of the 57 cases it heard. Yes, the Biden administration lost in Axon Enterprise v. Federal Trade Commission, but so did the state of Alabama in Allen v. Milligan. When the court put a stop to union thuggery in Glacier Northwest v. International Brotherhood of Teamsters, it ruled 8-1. When it declined to stop Biden’s outrageous open-borders policies, the margin was the same.

Of course, some cases are more wide-ranging than others. But only about 9 percent of this term’s cases produced the 6-3 decision commentators use to warn of hyperpolarization on the court. Even fewer cases — only about 5 percent — had five Republican-appointed justices make up a 5-4 majority. On the other hand, about 16 percent of the cases were decided by a majority coalition of the court’s three liberal justices joined by Republican-appointed justices."
    (Links omitted.)

source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/07/10/mitch-mcconnell-supreme-court-ideology/

They're not stupid - one would hope that is less likely with legal politicians than regular politicians, since they still have to actually work for a living as judges and whatnot - so they're clearly better at picking their moments.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Andy_JS said:
    Sell Biden.
    Buy? Hmmmmmmmmmm

David Yelland doing some good commentary on the BBC story.

The BBC won't name the star but neither will The Sun. Why not? And why haven't the complainants tried to contact the BBC again? Bit confused by the homophobia bit?????
    The BBC won't name the star but do seem to have Reeta Chakrabarti hosting the 10pm news more often than usual.

May just be some news presenters on holiday of course
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Since it came up in conversation earlier, I thought it'd be fun to dig this out from November 2021:

Leon said:
    Putin's entire speech at Valdai is worth reading, even if it has become known for these paragraphs and others

"We look in amazement at the processes underway in the countries which have been traditionally looked at as the standard-bearers of progress. Of course, the social and cultural shocks that are taking place in the United States and Western Europe are none of our business; we are keeping out of this. Some people in the West believe that an aggressive elimination of entire pages from their own history, “reverse discrimination” against the majority in the interests of a minority, and the demand to give up the traditional notions of mother, father, family and even gender, they believe that all of these are the mileposts on the path towards social renewal."

"The advocates of so-called ‘social progress’ believe they are introducing humanity to some kind of a new and better consciousness. Godspeed, hoist the flags as we say, go right ahead. The only thing that I want to say now is that their prescriptions are not new at all. It may come as a surprise to some people, but Russia has been there already. After the 1917 revolution, the Bolsheviks, relying on the dogmas of Marx and Engels, also said that they would change existing ways and customs and not just political and economic ones, but the very notion of human morality and the foundations of a healthy society. The destruction of age-old values, religion and relations between people, up to and including the total rejection of family (we had that, too), encouragement to inform on loved ones – all this was proclaimed progress and, by the way, was widely supported around the world back then and was quite fashionable, same as today. By the way, the Bolsheviks were absolutely intolerant of opinions other than theirs."

Read it all. This is the best, smartest, most wisely wide-ranging speech I have heard from any global political leader in a decade. And this is PUTIN

Farooq said:
    It's a streak of revanchist bearshit. Putin is just doing the normal Putin thing of projecting his own faults onto others. His country is the intolerant one, jailing and murdering journalists by the dozen, invading neighbours, pumping out homophobic and race-baiting propaganda, toying with fascist themes whilst accusing liberals, soclialists and Jews of being Nazis. Strafing mosques in Syria with fire and chemicals then saying that Merkel is to blame for the wave of refugees that flee the barrel bombs and missiles.

If you really buy into Putin's crap, you are lost in a spiral of darkness deeper and darker than I thought.

Leon said:
    Yawwwwwn

HYUFD said:
    I am no Putin fan but Leon has some sensible points. Eastern Europe is largely still immune from wokeism and committed to traditional values and Putin encapsulates that. He also recognises climate change is real even if he wants to take action on it in a way that does not damage the Russian economy.

Remember too you can still legally be homosexual in Russia and not be arrested even if it does not have gay marriage, that is a long way from the situation in most of North Africa and the Middle East. It was also Putin's airforce which played a key role in helping Assad defeat ISIS which was of great benefit to us all
    And that last paragraph remains correct. The Russian airforce was key to defeating ISIS in Syria.

Ukraine is also not especially woke either anymore than Russia is, so much of the first paragraph is still true as well
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:
    Yawwwwwn

His accurate analysis of the West may, in fact, have led to his terrible error of invading Ukraine. He thougnt we were so weakened by this Woke shit we would not fight back
    I wrote an entire article telling you why Putin invaded. Woke had about as much to do with it as liquorice.

Stop thinking Putin is informed by some ethical underpinnings. He's a gangster. The rationale is "see stuff take stuff". The Russians use words as tools to serve their needs, not to reveal their internal state. it doesn't matter whether it's truth, lies, or a recipie for cupcakes.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/05/02/why-ukraine-was-particularly-vulnerable/
    To be fair to Leon I don't think he was saying Putin's invasion came from ethical underpinnings just that he saw us as too weak due to the 'woke' stuff. I suspect he's wrong on that. It isn't a line of analysis any of the experienced Kremlin students have gone with and it was far more likely our lack of reaction to annexing Crimea/the ruination of the Donbass, the European reliance on Russian gas and the Franco-German attempts at rapprochement that convinced him we were weak.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,252
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:
    Yawwwwwn

Except the West isn't doing the fighting; Ukraine is. It's been noted in Ukraine that the phrase "the West is afraid" appears all too often whenever anything happens.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:
    Yawwwwwn

I wrote an entire article telling you why Putin invaded. Woke had about as much to do with it as liquorice.

Stop thinking Putin is informed by some ethical underpinnings. He's a gangster. The rationale is "see stuff take stuff". The Russians use words as tools to serve their needs, not to reveal their internal state. it doesn't matter whether it's truth, lies, or a recipie for cupcakes.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/05/02/why-ukraine-was-particularly-vulnerable/
    To be fair to Leon I don't think he was saying Putin's invasion came from ethical underpinnings just that he saw us as too weak due to the 'woke' stuff. I suspect he's wrong on that. It isn't a line of analysis any of the experienced Kremlin students have gone with and it was far more likely our lack of reaction to annexing Crimea/the ruination of the Donbass, the European reliance on Russian gas and the Franco-German attempts at rapprochement that convinced him we were weak.
    And the US's retreat from Afghanistan.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:
    Yawwwwwn

Except the West isn't doing the fighting; Ukraine is. It's been noted in Ukraine that the phrase "the West is afraid" appears all too often whenever anything happens.
    "Fighting back" is a term that can legitimately cover arming Ukraine and throwing crippling sanctions up around Russia. Putin miscalculated. We can debate why (I think it was the liquorice), but we can't pretend the West just tutted.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,122
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,122
    "BBC presenter row: Jeremy Vine urges unnamed BBC presenter to name himself"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66164548
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,252
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:
    Yawwwwwn

"Fighting back" is a term that can legitimately cover arming Ukraine and throwing crippling sanctions up around Russia. Putin miscalculated. We can debate why (I think it was the liquorice), but we can't pretend the West just tutted.
    The nature of the miscalculation is open to question. If the first few days had gone differently and his special forces had succeeded in Kyiv, would we now be looking at a united Western response?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,147

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:
    Yawwwwwn

The nature of the miscalculation is open to question. If the first few days had gone differently and his special forces had succeeded in Kyiv, would we now be looking at a united Western response?
    [Deleted. Brain tired]
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:
    Yawwwwwn

No but I suspect it would have turned into a quagmire for Putin. Far worse for Ukraine of course.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:
    Yawwwwwn

No. The reported attitude of a German Ambassador (from memory) that there was no point sanctioning Russia or aiding Ukraine because Kyiv only had a few hours left was too representative of what could have been.

But that attitude was fuelled by money, and gas, not woke beliefs.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 597
    It strikes me that the BBC is now the only organisation more protective of sex pests, perverts and rapists than the Catholic Church. Is it the new state religion?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,680
    New thread.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,560
    edited July 2023
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tra-la-la

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

There are a couple of aspects that are baffling to me. One is why the current ministers are so reticent about pursuing the issue. None of them personally will have been around when the decisions were made at ministerial level that allowed this to happen, and to persist for so long, so what do they have to lose?

The second is why this isn't a much more prominent issue that arouses public anger?
    Ministers are useless and have no moral compass or political sense.

Badenoch should have seized on this to show that she could get things done, put matters right and had more to her than just uttering criticisms of daft ideas. She doesn't understand that you should be in politics to try and achieve something and putting right a miscarriage of justice is one hell of an achievement.

I think the public that do know about it do feel anger. But there is also a sense of helplessness in the face of a state which seems to have lost any sense of public service, which seems capricious, incompetent and self-serving.

And journalists - well they're more interested in w**king stories about their colleagues, apparently. Nick Wallis has had to crowd fund his pursuit of this story. Computer Weekly journalists have done more real journalism than any of the so-called big names in the MSM.
    Why aren't Labour making an issue of it? Who even is the Shadow Business Secretary?
    The Shadow Business Secretary is presumably good friends with whoever was the New Labour Business Secretaries at the time the Horizon computer system was introduced and most of the prosecutions were made.

This is why the relative inaction of the Conservative ministers is so problematic. Generally speaking you'd expect ministers to find it easier to clean up mistakes that were the responsibility of the other party. If they can't even manage that, then there's sod all chance of them self-correcting after their own mistakes.
  • Options
    Penddu2 said:

It strikes me that the BBC is now the only organisation more protective of sex pests, perverts and rapists than the Catholic Church. Is it the new state religion?

No, the C of E replaced the Catholic Church as the English state religion 500 years ago
This discussion has been closed.