Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Starmer should do PMQs even when Sunak isn’t there – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    A nation that can ban alcohol but not guns is a nation with some seriously shite constitutional arrangements.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    More worried about Prince Akeem.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    Sandpit said:

pigeon said:

‘We need more EU workers, admits leading Tory Brexiter’

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/08/tory-brexiter-george-eustice-visas-young-eu-workers-labour-shortage

“This idea of having no temporary visa schemes was not from the Vote Leave campaign,” Eustice said. “It came predominantly from Theresa May. It was a remainer’s interpretation of what Brexit was about. That was not what Brexit was about. People wanted controlled immigration and not to pull up the drawbridge and allow no one in at all.”

‘Not the Brexit I voted for’, part 964.

He's complaining about the lack of an inexhaustible supply of very cheap labour, which allowed employers to pay people the shittest wages possible as an alternative to shelling out more or investing in automation. Ignore.
    It’s amazing how many people have a massive problem with a lack of unlimited minimum-wage workers.
    Eustace is quoted, amongst other things, as saying:

“My proposal is that we commence bilateral negotiations with EU member states, starting with countries like Bulgaria, Romania and the Baltic states, and widen it to the whole of the EU eventually, to establish a reciprocal youth-mobility visa scheme.”

The aim is transparently obvious: start the negotiations with the least well-off member states first, so that we can restore just as soon as possible the supply of bargain basement tradesmen and coffee shop baristas that would suppress the wages of thick proles, whilst saving me and my rich mates a few quid. If it also brings back all those dodgy hand car washes that cost a fraction of coughing up for a legitimate operator then so much the better.

Enough already.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    I will be working with Republicans and Democrats in the Senate to pass a resolution urging the admission of Ukraine into NATO.

The best way to prevent future wars and promote peace is to create security guarantees that make aggressor nations think twice before starting wars.

Ukrainian NATO membership is vital to the future security of Europe and the world. I believe there is an overwhelming majority of Senators supporting this proposition.

https://twitter.com/lindseygrahamsc/status/1677360822710935560
    Leon said:

Ok can we have mad exciting cricket please ta

Hmmm.

This doesn't seem to be working.
  • Have we ever had an opening partnership so far apart in height?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

Evening folks

been at a book festival today doing signings so only just had a chance to look back at the answers from @viewcode and others on the previous thread on inflationary effects from public sector pay rises.

As I said in my original question I don't understand economics generally so wanted to say a massive thanks to you all for taking the time to explain the ideas - and the flaws in those ideas - for me.

PB at its best

If you're signing your own tome then please post a link.

Economics on PB is quite poor. Well in fact hopeless. I have to say though that whilst all the detail is missing from the bigger world debate, the nagging void is perhaps better served here than elsewhere.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Eeeeaaasy
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369

Have we ever had an opening partnership so far apart in height?

I believe Morecombe and Wise opened a Royal Variety performance.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/08/tory-brexiter-george-eustice-visas-young-eu-workers-labour-shortage

“This idea of having no temporary visa schemes was not from the Vote Leave campaign,” Eustice said. “It came predominantly from Theresa May. It was a remainer’s interpretation of what Brexit was about. That was not what Brexit was about. People wanted controlled immigration and not to pull up the drawbridge and allow no one in at all.”

Here’s a radical proposal.

Why not invest, rather than rely upon minimum wage labour?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    Farooq said:

Sean_F said:

Farooq said:

Sean_F said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

"This country isn't racist"
    vs
    "I'm desperately afraid of being outnumbered by Black people"

These two views can, apparently, coexist in one mind.

If an Afghan said “I’m not racist but I’d rather my country didn’t become majority white and Christian, unless the Afghan people approve of it in a vote” you wouldn’t accuse them of hypocrisy. Yet for white British people it is unacceptable to say this?

Lefties are ridiculous twats, part 297
    I wouldn't accuse them of hypocrisy, I'd accuse them of having a racially discriminatory attitude to whom they want as having their neighbours.

I mean, even the word "accuse" is a bit unnecessary because it's exactly what "they" would be saying.

I really don't understand what would motivate someone to be so concerned about ensuring the majority of people around them have the same colour skin. Still, I guess it's probably not because they're racist, it must be for some other reasons 🤷
    Changes in demography often (not always) mean changes in the balance of political and/or religious power.

A devoutly Muslim Afghan would have every reason to fear that an influx of white people would mean that Afghanistan would cease to be a devoutly Muslim country.

In other parts of the world, growth in the size of a minority group may lead the current majority group to fear that they will cease to be the dominant political group.

You may not agree with that outlook, but there is nothing irrational about it.
    So.. preserving the racial makeup of a society is rational?
    From the POV of the currently dominant group, entirely so.

The dominant group might fear that if it slips to minority status, it will be subject to a government that is bent upon redistributing wealth to the formerly minority group, and removing its cultural landmarks.

Ethnic conflict is unpleasant. It's rarely irrational.
    Is that what White people are doing in this country? Redistributing Black people's wealth to White people?
    Not that I know, but the notion of reparations for slavery/racism/colonialism is a live one.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

I will be working with Republicans and Democrats in the Senate to pass a resolution urging the admission of Ukraine into NATO.

The best way to prevent future wars and promote peace is to create security guarantees that make aggressor nations think twice before starting wars.

Ukrainian NATO membership is vital to the future security of Europe and the world. I believe there is an overwhelming majority of Senators supporting this proposition.

https://twitter.com/lindseygrahamsc/status/1677360822710935560

Better get it done before your buddy Trump wins, Lindsey mate.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

boulay said:

SandraMc said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Do we have any British wildlife experts here?

During my hike today with my kiddo - the Ashridge Estate in the Chilterns - I am 98% sure I saw a wild boar. I only glimpsed the back half, but the profile is so distinctive, as is the small frisky tail and the way it swishes

It was, I am sure, a boar. Not a a dog or a small cow or a black sheep. Certainly not a deer. I’ve seen boar before (abroad) and I know the signs

Yet online I can only find one or two tiny references to boar POSSIBLY in the Chilterns. I know the species is expanding. Maybe I saw a pioneer?

Perfectly possible - they are escaping all the time.

Still remember the panic the police got themselves into in Wiltshire, way back, when wild boar escapes were a newish thing. They ended up trying to beg guns off a local hunting type.
    Looks very possible. I’m not alone

“Large adult boar spotted running down the road on the A509 in North Bucks.”

https://twitter.com/wildboar_uk/status/1592833152263020544?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

How exciting! I hope they spread
    everywhere. Proper wild anima bit of edg

Or, massive killing machines with a remarkable ab
    disease.
    As we are discussing wildlife, I swear that a couple of days ago I saw in my garden a beige squirrel. Not red or grey but a pale caramel colour. Any thoughts?
    Red and Grey are so last season. It’s all about neutral tones, caramels and beige. Evoking the sand under your feet in that instagram post. Although I have it on authority that Winter will be all about black. Black Squirrels will be so in - you read it here first.
    Leon and Pagan2 don't want to live in a country where they are outnumbered by black squirrels.
    Do fuck off you are intent to see racism where none exists. The conflict is between liberal secularism and people who find it a problem. Some are black or asian or white on both sides, some are muslim, christian etc on both sides.

The fact remains that immigrants from states that do not embrace liberal secularism are the ones more likely to be anti it. You would be the first to bleat when we lose it but still support pretty much open immigration from those liberal blackspots. Just like the lib dems who you support as I remember.....lets have loads of immigration but we must never build houses.
    You spent half the day complaining to Barty about how liberal democracy doesn't work because people don't vote the way you wish.

And for the hundredth time you've guessed wrong about my political views. I don't "support" the Lib Dems, I voted for them last time. And probably won't next time. If you want decent approximation of my views on housing, see Barty's output on the subject: build build build and nimbys can fuck off.

How is it you get everything, literally everything, so very very wrong?
    I have never claimed anything about anyone not voting the way I want them to, I have repeatedly said there is no one worth voting for because no politician will do anything about the problems we have as they would not get elected. Personally I think democracy no longer works. I deliberately have refererenced only a secular liberal state and not mentioned democracy in that.

You voted lib dem last time that makes you a lib dem voter till next time. You think any of lib dem labour or cons are going to address the housing crisis. Good luck with that. I am all for a massive program of house building I just know that its not going to happen.

The issue I have with you is you always choose the right on virtue signalling view and dont ever acknowledge that often its more complicated.

You support higher migration, you support increased wages for the low paid. Sorry its one or the other.

Wages for the lowest only rise when employers have to compete for staff.

Increased immigration means they dont have to compete.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    A
    Sean_F said:

Here’s a radical proposal.

Why not invest, rather than rely upon minimum wage labour?
    That would be racist. Obs.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Excellent from England. We should win this now

Won’t get a better chance
    This thread has

played like Duckett, but with less luck.

• SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    AP (via Sea Times) - Trump blasts DeSantis in Iowa, says GOP rival ‘despises’ the state’s ethanol

Campaigning in Iowa, former President Donald Trump attacked Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis as an enemy of corn-based ethanol in his largest campaign event in the leadoff caucus state in nearly four months.

Trump, appearing Friday in Council Bluffs in the western part of the state, criticized his top 2024 Republican presidential rival for voting as a member of Congress to oppose the federal mandate for the fuel additive that Iowa leads the nation in producing.

Trump declared himself “the most pro-farmer president that you’ve ever had” at the event, which was aimed at promoting his administration’s agricultural record and touting his oversight of clawbacks of regulations on farmers. “I fought for Iowa ethanol like no president in history,” he said.

On a rainy Friday, Trump spoke to more than 1,000 Iowans and Nebraskans packed into the event hall inside Mid-America Center, with hundreds more huddled under umbrellas in line outside the arena.

As a congressman from Florida, DeSantis co-sponsored a bill in 2017 that would have immediately ended the renewable fuel standard, a position consistent with fiscal conservatives who see such mandates as government overreach.

“Iowa also needs to know that Ron DeSanctus totally despises Iowa ethanol and ethanol generally,” Trump said, intentionally mispronouncing his rival’s name as he routinely does. “He’s been fighting it for years. Don’t forget, as a congressman he was voting against it, and fighting for years to kill every single job.” . . .

Trump spoke for 80 minutes, starting with the agriculture theme but blending his attacks on DeSantis and President Joe Biden with asides on such subjects as Russian President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine — “I told him: Don’t do it.” — an impression of French President Emmanuel Macron and a dismissal of climate change science, saying during the hottest week in history that global warming is just going to give more people beachfront property.

He touted his three picks for the Supreme Court, who helped make up the majority that voted to overturn Roe v. Wade on abortion last year and to end affirmative action in college admissions last week. . . .

Ethanol is a fuel additive blended with gasoline and sold across the country that is usually produced by fermenting corn. The ethanol industry consumes about half of Iowa’s corn crop, and the state leads the nation in corn and ethanol production.

As a candidate, Trump has promoted the executive order he signed as president increasing the retail sale of fuel containing 15% ethanol.

Recent history, however, suggests a lack of support for ethanol may not be disqualifying. In 2016, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, who opposes the mandate, won Iowa’s Republican caucuses, handing Trump an early defeat in his ultimately successful White House campaign. Trump carried Iowa by more than 9 percentage points in 2016 and 8.2 points in 2020. . .
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533
    ydoethur said:

A nation that can ban alcohol but not guns is a nation with some seriously shite constitutional arrangements.
    Don't forget the dangers of Kinder Eggs! And haggis!
This discussion has been closed.