Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Starmer should do PMQs even when Sunak isn’t there – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Do we have any British wildlife experts here?

During my hike today with my kiddo - the Ashridge Estate in the Chilterns - I am 98% sure I saw a wild boar. I only glimpsed the back half, but the profile is so distinctive, as is the small frisky tail and the way it swishes

It was, I am sure, a boar. Not a a dog or a small cow or a black sheep. Certainly not a deer. I’ve seen boar before (abroad) and I know the signs

Yet online I can only find one or two tiny references to boar POSSIBLY in the Chilterns. I know the species is expanding. Maybe I saw a pioneer?

Perfectly possible - they are escaping all the time.

Still remember the panic the police got themselves into in Wiltshire, way back, when wild boar escapes were a newish thing. They ended up trying to beg guns off a local hunting type.
    Looks very possible. I’m not alone

“Large adult boar spotted running down the road on the A509 in North Bucks.”

https://twitter.com/wildboar_uk/status/1592833152263020544?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

How exciting! I hope they spread everywhere. Proper wild animals with a bit of edge
    They have them where my son lives in Catalonia, and they are a menace for drivers, so I am told

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    Leon said:

Leon said:

During my hike today with my kiddo - the Ashridge Estate in the Chilterns - I am 98% sure I saw a wild boar. I only glimpsed the back half, but the profile is so distinctive, as is the small frisky tail and the way it swishes

It was, I am sure, a boar. Not a a dog or a small cow or a black sheep. Certainly not a deer. I’ve seen boar before (abroad) and I know the signs

Yet online I can only find one or two tiny references to boar POSSIBLY in the Chilterns. I know the species is expanding. Maybe I saw a pioneer?

Still remember the panic the police got themselves into in Wiltshire, way back, when wild boar escapes were a newish thing. They ended up trying to beg guns off a local hunting type.

https://twitter.com/wildboar_uk/status/1592833152263020544?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

How exciting! I hope they spread everywhere. Proper wild animals with a bit of edge
    Or, massive killing machines with a remarkable ability to spread disease.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

boulay said:

Having just noticed the title of the thread, maybe they should change PMQs to a committee setting.

PM sits there at a desk with a couple of spades and his folders. The other party leaders in a horseshoe and the MPs selected by the speaker to ask questions.

Session lasts an hour. Stops the bullshit braying and football type cheers and jeers and you might just get more detailed and useful answers.

It's a nice idea, but that's what the Liaison Committee sessions are supposed to be for I suppose. Everyone knows that PMQs is about the theatre, and that benefits government and opposition, so they don't want or need more (backbenchers might disagree, they aren't on the committee, but who cares about them?)

They should make Ministerial attendance at select committees much more frequent, and they should not get the opportunity to beg off.
    PMQs can still be theatre without the stupid braying, which just makes everyone in politics look like either a moron or an areshole, or indeed both.
    I maintain that's what the public wants from it. If they didn't, then there would be pressure on them to stop, and they would do so eventually. People have said the same things about it my entire adult life, and it's not changed at all.

I think people like criticising it, but also like to see their side ripping in to the other.
    The media love it as well, because at its best it results in a gotcha which they can use to drive their coverage for the next few days.
    What I find bizarre is the people who still think PMQs has something to do with the answers. It is the questions that shape it, at least in the hands of a skilled operator like Blair or Cameron. You make the PM not answer the question, then you give him the answer and move on. Its a while since we have seen it done really well. Ed Miliband had his moments but not nearly enough.
    William Hague was great at skewering Blair at PMQs. Fat lot of good it did him at the 2001 election.
    Very true.
    It's a good job Cummins didn't nick that.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    Amusing lawsuits of our time, part 94.

Elon Musk has sued the elite law firm Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz to recover most of a $90 million fee it received from Twitter for defeating his bid to walk away from his $44 billion buyout of the social media company.
    https://www.reuters.com/legal/elon-musk-sues-wachtell-law-firm-recoup-fees-twitter-buyout-2023-07-07/
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

The wicket seems to have died a bit and these 2 are putting on dangerous runs.

Anything over 200 is a struggle on this wicket.
    At Headingly so much depends on the overhead conditions. If its like this, sure. But if the sun comes out tomorrow...
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

At Headingly so much depends on the overhead conditions. If its like this, sure. But if the sun comes out tomorrow...
    Harry Brook is no Mark Butcher.
    Well, he nicked that.

But Head is still there even after the latest Cummins...
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

Elon Musk has sued the elite law firm Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz to recover most of a $90 million fee it received from Twitter for defeating his bid to walk away from his $44 billion buyout of the social media company.
    https://www.reuters.com/legal/elon-musk-sues-wachtell-law-firm-recoup-fees-twitter-buyout-2023-07-07/

I’m really looking forward to the Twitter v Facebook lawsuit, over the new Threads app.
    Apparently Zuck hired a lot of engineers from Twitter, and the user interface is indistinguishable.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,022
    Got him but review
    Out

Got him but review

One wonders why. There was a clear sound, the bat was a mile from his body or the ground, and the ball deviated.

That was the stupidest review since the retirement of Shane Watson. And that includes Paine's review here last time.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    That was basically a "Maybe the stump mike broke" review
    Sandpit said:

I’m really looking forward to the Twitter v Facebook lawsuit, over the new Threads app.
    Apparently Zuck hired a lot of engineers from Twitter, and the user interface is indistinguishable.
    Candymountain using other peoples' ideas? … say it ain't so

edited July 2023
    That was out, why’s he reviewing it?

You know you nicked it!
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

He's no number 3. He should change places with Bairstow and they would both do better.
    Sandpit said:

You know you nicked it!

They had enough reviews, so I guess you might as well use it and hope the stump mike didn't pick it up for some reason
    Get Moeen Ali in the England football team
    CatMan said:

Sandpit said:

You know you nicked it!

They had enough reviews, so I guess you might as well use it and hope the stump mike didn't pick it up for some reason
    Using up time, however.

A bold decision would be to declare now and get England in and three down tonight.

By the way, Foakes would have caught that...
    210 ahead after a Head special.

Surely that's enough?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    geoffw said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

They have them where my son lives in Catalonia, and they are a menace for drivers, so I am told

They've learnt to ride bikes?
    ydoethur said:

210 ahead after a Head special.

Surely that's enough?

Absolutely, they need to declare now.

geoffw said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Maybe - road hogs!

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Maybe - road hogs!

Hedgehogs are the worst.

Why can't the buggers just share the hedge?
    This is why I'd rather we'd got Head instead of Marsh, Starc or Cummins.

He's as dangerous as Stokes and a better batsman.
    ydoethur said:

This is why I'd rather we'd got Head instead of Marsh, Starc or Cummins.

He's as dangerous as Stokes and a better batsman.

We all want to get Head.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    Starmer is doing entirely the wise thing. He's involving his close team to give them experience. Rayner is improving when thrown to the wolves.

She's also unlikely to go all off-message in PMQs.

I wonder who is actually manging this. Unseen reds are dangerous!
  • northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,639
    ‘We need more EU workers, admits leading Tory Brexiter’

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/08/tory-brexiter-george-eustice-visas-young-eu-workers-labour-shortage

“This idea of having no temporary visa schemes was not from the Vote Leave campaign,” Eustice said. “It came predominantly from Theresa May. It was a remainer’s interpretation of what Brexit was about. That was not what Brexit was about. People wanted controlled immigration and not to pull up the drawbridge and allow no one in at all.”

‘Not the Brexit I voted for’, part 964.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/08/tory-brexiter-george-eustice-visas-young-eu-workers-labour-shortage

“This idea of having no temporary visa schemes was not from the Vote Leave campaign,” Eustice said. “It came predominantly from Theresa May. It was a remainer’s interpretation of what Brexit was about. That was not what Brexit was about. People wanted controlled immigration and not to pull up the drawbridge and allow no one in at all.”

Wrong sort of Brexit/Communism?
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 675
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How exciting! I hope they spread
    everywhere. Proper wild anima bit of edg

Or, massive killing machines with a remarkable ab
    disease.
    As we are discussing wildlife, I swear that a couple of days ago I saw in my garden a beige squirrel. Not red or grey but a pale caramel colour. Any thoughts?
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    Another bore (sp?) in the Chilterns? Yawn.

Especially as REAL animal news about REALLY rare species (locally) is coming out of Whidbey Island, Washington.

Seattle Times ($) - Meet Bruiser, Whidbey Island’s loneliest (and only) resident elk

. . . . One day about a decade ago, so the most informed theory goes, Bruiser found himself at the brackish delta where the Skagit River empties into a bay of the same name. . . .

[F]or reasons he will never share, helped along by hollow hair and buoyant blubber, a teenage (in elk years) Bruiser set out and left behind all that he had known.

That tree-trunk neck, snout and antler constellation bobbing defiantly toward the sky, nudged along by a flood tide, miles falling behind him as the westbound bluffs of Whidbey Island’s Strawberry Point drew closer with each paddle of his mighty cloven hooves.

He scrambled upon the island’s rocky shore, and Bruiser was somewhere new.

Safe and secure, the only elk on the island, with no other bulls or predators to deal with.

But he also was alone, the only elk on Whidbey.

Life is choices. And today, ensconced in the island’s bounty, Bruiser just might be America’s loneliest elk. . . .

STANDING 6 FEET at the shoulder and weighing close to 1,000 pounds, Bruiser since has become a local . . . celebrity . . .

Locals rock Bruiser T-shirts, and one of his biggest fans prints out a Bruiser calendar each year, although the creator of the calendar was not inclined to share his Bruiser tales with this reporter. Strawberry Point neighbors leave Bruiser apples, corn and potatoes for when he ambles through their yards. . . .

The Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife officer has been Bruiser’s de facto guardian angel since shortly after the wild wapiti’s first sighting on the island, back on Sept. 13, 2012. . . .

FOR MUCH OF the year, life is gravy for Bruiser, and he reaps the spoils of his big swim. But come September, when the mating season, or rut, starts for his kind, Bruiser can no longer run (or swim) away from the consequences of his choice.

Pent-up biological urges become the order of the day, and Bruiser’s rut-induced indignities are well known on Strawberry Point.

With no bulls to fight or cows to woo, he mixes it up with tarps, kids’ bikes, fencing and other area “entanglements,” as Licence calls them. Bruiser wins these battles but ends up carrying those entanglements around in his antlers for days until they shake free and fall back to earth . . .
    SandraMc said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

disease.
    As we are discussing wildlife, I swear that a couple of days ago I saw in my garden a beige squirrel. Not red or grey but a pale caramel colour. Any thoughts?
    Did you see its tail? If not, perhaps it was a weasel?
    ydoethur said:

SandraMc said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

disease.
    I saw it from behind as it was running along the fence. It had a bushy tail.

Divorce in haste, repent at leisure?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    The railway line from Boston to New Haven along the shoreline is excellent. Comfy seats and a cafe too. I give the whole experience a B+, would have been an A but for the price and the blueberry muffins which were slightly stale.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    SandraMc said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

disease.
    Red and Grey are so last season. It’s all about neutral tones, caramels and beige. Evoking the sand under your feet in that instagram post. Although I have it on authority that Winter will be all about black. Black Squirrels will be so in - you read it here first.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Sandpit said:

Yeah, popcorn time like watching a scorpion fight a rat, you want both of them to lose.
    SandraMc said:

ydoethur said:

SandraMc said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

disease.
    A stoat might be cream coloured and has a bushy tail, but not as bushy as a squirrel's.

A pine marten might fit the description but they're pretty rare.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    SandraMc said:

ydoethur said:

SandraMc said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

disease.
    Squirrel colour is very variable. (I also wonder if the light caught the tail a bit?)

https://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/animals/article/squirrel-fur-colour-characteristics
    edited July 2023
    Height might be an issue here?

Edit - ooooff, just!
    ydoethur said:

I think squirrels are all about the same height.
    boulay said:

ydoethur said:

Depends on how tall the fence is.
    Something for Leon for his next visit to the dystopian hell-on-earth that is USA

American Hoggers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXdBieUZ9Ko

OR can just wait for Chiltern feral piglet boom . . . and enjoy this kind of fun in the UK!
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    ydoethur said:

Edit - ooooff, just!

Nope.
    That isn't why Sunak is crap.
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

He's no number 3. He should change places with Bairstow and they would both do better.
    I'd have Stokes at 3.
    Seriously. Imagine if him and Root got in with batting to com.
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    ydoethur said:

boulay said:

ydoethur said:

Irrelevant. You shouldn't be buying stolen squirrels. Period.
    ydoethur said:

boulay said:

ydoethur said:

It is about 5 ft high.
    Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

ydoethur said:

That took me a second.

It's not taking Head a second though.
    Sigh.

If you bowl short at Head, batting with the tail, he will continue to pull you for six.
    ydoethur said:

Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

ydoethur said:

That took me a second.

Head as on "mind your..." ATM.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

ydoethur said:

You mean he doesn’t steal his own squirrels?

The rotter!
    Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

ydoethur said:

That took me a second.

Head as on "mind your..." ATM.
    Although he's not got a duck.
    edited July 2023
    Hoo-fucking-Ray.

But - 75 runs too many for this lineup.

Well played Head though, brilliant innings.
    251 needed
    251 to win.
    Blimey.
    Another great test match.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    Farooq said:

boulay said:

SandraMc said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

disease.
    Red and Grey are so last season. It’s all about neutral tones, caramels and beige. Evoking the sand under your feet in that instagram post. Although I have it on authority that Winter will be all about black. Black Squirrels will be so in - you read it here first.
    Leon and Pagan2 don't want to live in a country where they are outnumbered by black squirrels.
    Do fuck off you are intent to see racism where none exists. The conflict is between liberal secularism and people who find it a problem. Some are black or asian or white on both sides, some are muslim, christian etc on both sides.

The fact remains that immigrants from states that do not embrace liberal secularism are the ones more likely to be anti it. You would be the first to bleat when we lose it but still support pretty much open immigration from those liberal blackspots. Just like the lib dems who you support as I remember.....lets have loads of immigration but we must never build houses.
    Well this should be a tasty half an hour
    Finally
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813

He's complaining about the lack of an inexhaustible supply of very cheap labour, which allowed employers to pay people the shittest wages possible as an alternative to shelling out more or investing in automation. Ignore.
    Great catch!

Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

ydoethur said:

The rotter!
    Free squirrels are available to all well-managed estates.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Fancy England to finally win one
    Australia now get to unleash Starc, Boland and Cummins at England in the best bowling conditions of the whole tour.

That is not a good sentence, however I try to word it.
    If they can survive these tricky overs
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    dixiedean said:

251 to win.
    Blimey.

Whilst I'm pessimistic to say the least about the overall outcome of the series, the matches have not been one sided dudfests to say the least.
    pigeon said:

He's complaining about the lack of an inexhaustible supply of very cheap labour, which allowed employers to pay people the shittest wages possible as an alternative to shelling out more or investing in automation. Ignore.
    It’s amazing how many people have a massive problem with a lack of unlimited minimum-wage workers.
    pigeon said:

Oooh, that's a bingo. Is that the way you say it, "That's a bingo?"
    ydoethur said:

Hoo-fucking-Ray.

So far only one player has done well in each innings - so we only need one for the 4th as well!
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    Sandpit said:

pigeon said:

It’s amazing how many people have a massive problem with a lack of unlimited minimum-wage workers.
    It is also amazing how many of them are the same people who say people don't earn enough to live.
    Just heard my first rumble of thunder, but weirdly Nottingham is set to stay dry as everywhere else in the Midlands gets drenched.
    ydoethur said:

Hoo-fucking-Ray.

I was considering the issue with fines for slow play - surely they should be wiped if there is a result as clearly enough overs were bowled. If they only got fined if no result then and extra incentive to push to win.
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

251 to win.
    Blimey.

Whilst I'm pessimistic to say the least about the overall outcome of the series, the matches have not been one sided dudfests to say the least.
    Yes the morons saying England are being “thrashed” or “playing dreadfully” are, well, morons

Australia are a notch superior but all the tests have been close - and it could easily be England 2-0 up and chasing the series clincher here
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    ydoethur said:

Hoo-fucking-Ray.

It was a hour of good head.

Weather nice tomorrow.

https://www.yr.no/nb/værvarsel/graf/2-6695619/Storbritannia/England/Leeds/Headingley

Just block them out tonight.
    Amazing penalty save and follow up save by England
    Headline tomorrow “Gold Trafford” surely.

Despite his bluster about all his grand plans for Twitter he was either forced to buy it at a higher price than he wanted, or to buy it when he didn't want it anymore - so I'd be pissed at the lawfirm that made that happen if I were him.

ydoethur said:

Hoo-fucking-Ray.

It was a hour of good head.

Weather nice tomorrow.

https://www.yr.no/nb/værvarsel/graf/2-6695619/Storbritannia/England/Leeds/Headingley

Just block them out tonight.
    You do know who England's openers are, right?

The only blocks involved when they bat are between their ears.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470

Priti Patel MP
    @pritipatel
    Stopping the boats is much harder than the Govt thought it would be….
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    edited July 2023
    I wonder. Is rcs1000 impressed by Governor Newsom's success on California's homeless problem?

"But the problem is concentrated in a handful of cities; nationwide the homeless population has been shrinking for a decade. To figure out why some places are so much more successful than others, we took a trip to Texas where the homeless population declined almost 30 percent over the last decade. (It grew by more than 40 percent in California in that same time span.) Today, the Lone Star state counts 90 homeless people per 100,000 residents. In California, the problem is almost five times as bad."
    (Link omitted.)

source: https://reason.com/video/2023/04/18/why-homelessness-is-worse-in-california-than-in-texas/

Note that the much lower costs of housing in Texas help the poor, who are just above the homeless in resources. And the middle class. Though the pay is less, it is more affordable to be a teacher in Texas than in most of California. That may be one of the reasons the schools are, on the whole, better in Texas.

(For the record: I think Gavin Newsom is a competent politician, who may have reduced the damage done by leftists to California. But he has failed at solving California's problems, which helps explain why the state has been losing population, while he has been governor.)
  • It's ridiculous to judge the amount of cricket played by the number of overs bowled

Most England games captained by Stokes have been more likely ties than draws

But we don't race through our overs because Stokes plays cricket and changes the field

Why should England be penalised for that?

pigeon said:

Oooh, that's a bingo. Is that the way you say it, "That's a bingo?"
    HOUSE
    So we have Cummins after Head.
    A
    Sandpit said:

pigeon said:

Well, providers of unlimited numbers of really low wage workers have been popular, historically.

There’s statues of them, all over the place.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Omnium said:

Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

ydoethur said:

The rotter!
    Perhaps an easier policy to implement than free owls.
    There's something wrong with my TV.

It just showed Crawley playing a forward defensive.
    Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

ydoethur said:

The rotter!
    Less of a head turner though.
    Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

ydoethur said:

The rotter!
    Free owls are also great fun, they're a terrific hoot.
    I don’t want “twenty minutes of compelling cricket”. I want 20 minutes of really boring brickwalll batting and England calmly taking 32-0 thanks
    BORING CRICKET PLEASE
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

ydoethur said:

The rotter!
    Twit.
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

ydoethur said:

The rotter!
    If you upstage me I may have to strike silently in the night.
    edited July 2023
    Bat hit ground, I think.

Poor shot though.

Edit - well didn't hit the ground or the pad, so I wonder what made the noise? Because there was one.

Good grief, he's living dangerously still.

Leon, could you wish for exciting and suicidal cricket and then maybe they'll play sensibly?
    THIS IS NOT BORING CRICKET
    LOL they lost one review already.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    Farooq said:

boulay said:

SandraMc said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

disease.
    Leon and Pagan2 don't want to live in a country where they are outnumbered by black squirrels.
    Bad news, there is (or was) a Black Squirrel Project.
    That was a chance
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089
    Evening folks

been at a book festival today doing signings so only just had a chance to look back at the answers from @viewcode and others on the previous thread on inflationary effects from public sector pay rises.

As I said in my original question I don't understand economics generally so wanted to say a massive thanks to you all for taking the time to explain the ideas - and the flaws in those ideas - for me.

PB at its best
    Ok can we have mad exciting cricket please ta
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
This discussion has been closed.