Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Tories working hard to be the nasty party once again – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,729
edited July 2023 in General
The Tories working hard to be the nasty party once again – politicalbetting.com

Ffs. pic.twitter.com/wPfKXmaPh4

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Test
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    Westminster voting intention:

Fantastic poll for SKS Party

Rishi is screwed

LAB: 47% (+1)
    CON: 22% (-2)
    LDEM: 9% (-1)
    REF: 9% (+1)
    GRN: 7% (-)

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,574

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

SKS fans - please don't gloat.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,258
    I hesitate to link to pure filfth on here, but this is a video of a Big Boy giving some rear-end assistance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icgH_3dXdOU
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,293
    @nicholascecil
    EXCLUSIVE: Labour ahead in Uxbridge and Selby, polls find in by-elections double blow for Rishi Sunak

https://twitter.com/nicholascecil/status/1677280248201617409?s=20
  • Options
    @RedfieldWilton
    Labour is more trusted than the Conservatives on EVERY issue.

Which party do voters trust the most on...? (Labour | the Conservatives)

NHS (41% | 18%)
    Housing (38% | 16%)
    Education (38% | 19%)
    Immigration (30% | 23%)
    The Economy (33% | 27%)
    Ukraine (29% | 27%)
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,591
    On topic, if the Mousey one was in the mural, then there could have been copyright*/trademark** issues which would have been a much better spin to put on things than sticking it to the migrant kids.

*original copyright expires in 2024, so all depictions since then would be covered, I guess
    **not sure whether registered trade mark and can't be bothered to check, but I'd expect so
  • Options
    PeckPeck Posts: 517
    edited July 2023

Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Topping, I recall from university reading that most people will go along with most symptom lists for psych conditions, partly because most of us feel X emotion or have Y quirk at some point.

Medical student syndrome applies to non-psychological illnesses too. Serious writers on behaviour, persuasion, and social psychology all reference it. Ditto the Werther effect. (That's why newspapers don't describe the details of suicides.)

To avoid this, I listed (without telling her what it was) the symptom list for psychopathology to my mother and asked how many applied to me. She said all but one and a half out of about 17.

Quite a high score then! I doubt there's any (sane) person who wouldn't give themselves at least a few ticks for some of the symptoms of the officially defined or almost officially defined personality disorders. A bit of perfectionism get in the way of task completion sometimes? An occasional bit of splitting? A person would be a right gormless sod if they didn't merit any ticks IMO.

Scoring enough ticks to pass the bar for even one of those disorders is a different matter though.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

I hesitate to link to pure filfth on here, but this is a video of a Big Boy giving some rear-end assistance.

That's amazing. Working on the century.

Those boxpok wheels :smiley:

And the wheelspin!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,552
    Commented on this on the last thread. Anyone who thinks that this is a reasonable way to behave really shouldn’t be allowed to take any decisions that affect vulnerable people about anything. Period. They do not have the basic humanity to do so.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    Selebian said:

On topic, if the Mousey one was in the mural, then there could have been copyright*/trademark** issues which would have been a much better spin to put on things than sticking it to the migrant kids.

*original copyright expires in 2024, so all depictions since then would be covered, I guess
    **not sure whether registered trade mark and can't be bothered to check, but I'd expect so

Disney are shithot on copyright issues so this immediately sprang to mind.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,039
    On topic, it's a genuinely deranged decision.

And this government simply hasn't a leg to stand on here. Immigration has vastly increased, legal and illegal, under Boris-Liz-Rishi. Simply being inhumane to migrants is pretty much all they have left now (unsurprising really, as they more than any other government I can recall, have massively prioritised optics over substance).

I don't think the public will be fooled though. Ironically, Rishi's own pledges have spotlighted his governments key failures.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,824
    edited July 2023
    If the reporting is genuine, then yes this is utterly vile.
    Selebian said:

Not quite. The original Steamboat Willie version of the Mouse will expire in 2024, but more recognisable versions of the Mouse including all in colour will still be subject to copyright.

And yes of course TM still applies.

A bit like Winnie the Pooh - the original book is already in public domain, but Winnie the Pooh as drawn by Disney is under copyright still.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Selebian said:

Disney are shithot on copyright issues so this immediately sprang to mind.
    Tell that to the ice cream van and travelling funfair community.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,578

Selebian said:

Not quite. The original Steamboat Willie version of the Mouse will expire in 2024, but more recognisable versions of the Mouse including all in colour will still be subject to copyright.

A bit like Winnie the Pooh - the original book is already in public domain, but Winnie the Pooh as drawn by Disney is under copyright still.
    Harumph. Winnie the Pooh as drawn by Disney is a minor abomination. The through spirit of Pooh is captured by E H Shephard.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,278
    With RefUK on 9% and tied with the LDs for 3rd in today's Yougov, Jenrick's comments may not show much compassion but will be firmly focused on the hard line on illegal immigration Sunak needs to win back 2019 Conservatives voters now voting Reform
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@nicholascecil
    EXCLUSIVE: Labour ahead in Uxbridge and Selby, polls find in by-elections double blow for Rishi Sunak

Full S&A tables here:
    https://jlpartners.com/s/Selby_Ainsty_byelection_tables.xlsx

Interesting that Con leads with males, who are a substantially smaller part of the unweighted sample. It's smallish (500) but the difference is outside MoE (random error) so depends on whether they've got their weighting right.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

The point *was* to stick it to migrant kids though. And in any case, I think as a kinda private building they can paint what they like on the wall? Or will the Disney lawyers start prowling primary schools to tear down felt-pen daubings of Lilo & Stitch?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

With RefUK on 9% and tied with the LDs for 3rd in today's Yougov, Jenrick's comments may not show much compassion but will be firmly focused on the hard line on illegal immigration Sunak needs to win back 2019 Conservatives voters now voting Reform

If the Tories aim for RefUK's 9% then that is what the Tories deserve at the next election.

9%
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587
    Absurd but reading one report of the mass of cartoonists offering to help I was for some reason reminded of that great cartoon of two soldiers in a WWI trench with one saying to the other: "it's very bad, we're down to our last poet".
  • Options
    Wood did not come to play.

5 wickets with the ball.

With the bat: 6, 4, 6 first three balls he faced this innings.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,002

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

By @Moonrabbit Dutch salute standards this is bad for Labour because the Lib Dem score is low. The tits are being tucked back under
    the t-shirt.

However, LLG 63 plays REFCON 31 is pretty good.

Yougov clearly have a problem with sampling though because there’s no way REF and Greens are on anything close to 9% and 7%. Oversampling politically hyper-engaged nutters.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,681
    Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton

NHS (41% | 18%)
    Housing (38% | 16%)
    Education (38% | 19%)
    Immigration (30% | 23%)
    The Economy (33% | 27%)
    Ukraine (29% | 27%)

Labour Only 33% on economy, people rating Rishi and his government to sort it out so just 5% behind isn’t great for Labour at all. Not bad, but only 5% lead on what most people will vote on come general election day.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Scott_xP said:

@nicholascecil

Labour only ahead by 8% in Uxbridge though compared to 12% in Selby.

In fact the 41% Labour are on in Uxbridge is not much higher than the 38% Labour got in Uxbridge in 2019.

So plenty of scope for the Tories to squeeze undecideds with the ULEZ issue
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,694
    DavidL said:

Commented on this on the last thread. Anyone who thinks that this is a reasonable way to behave really shouldn’t be allowed to take any decisions that affect vulnerable people about anything. Period. They do not have the basic humanity to do so.

The Conservative difficulty is this.

There is a proportion of the population that is, for want of a better word, nasty. Selfish, cruel. Lacking the imagination to think that they might ever be at the bottom of the heap through no real fault of their own.

They're not all Conservatives- think of trade unionists who are happy to screw over other workers to get more of the pie for themselves. And even now, most Conservatives aren't nasty. And most of us reveal streaks of nasty when threatened, and these are threatening times.

But when a big party is scrabbling round in the low to mid twenties percent in the polls, the temptation to go after the nasty vote is blooming strong. Because they're votes and they're not hard to grab.

And right now, they're the most reliable votes the Conservatives have got.
  • Options

Selebian said:

"original copyright expires in 2024, so all depictions since then would be covered, I guess"

I shouldn't have put 'I guess' as it's not a guess, but my intention was to point out that is indeed the earliest version, so everything is still covered until 2024. After that it will get more hazy as e.g. a direct copy of the out of copyright one would be fine. Any drawing that wasn't a blatant copy of a later version might be ok too, if argued to be a derived work of the original, rather than of a later, still in copyright, version.

But anyway, you'd think comms would have put out that the real reason was concern about possible infringement, not making it as grim as possible for you arrivees. Unless the desire was to be seen to be making it as grim as possible for young arrivees.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    HYUFD said:

It's not a hard line on illegal immigration, you doughnut. It's a hard line on vulnerable, needy, and likely terrified children.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,180
    No change in tactics from England.
  • Options
    Bloody hell

Mark Wood c Marsh b Cummins 24 (8b 1x4 3x6) SR: 300
  • Options

DavidL said:

There is a proportion of the population that is, for want of a better word, nasty. Selfish, cruel. Lacking the imagination to think that they might ever be at the bottom of the heap through no real fault of their own.

They're not all Conservatives- think of trade unionists who are happy to screw over other workers to get more of the pie for themselves. And even now, most Conservatives aren't nasty. And most of us reveal streaks of nasty when threatened, and these are threatening times.

But when a big party is scrabbling round in the low to mid twenties percent in the polls, the temptation to go after the nasty vote is blooming strong. Because they're votes and they're not hard to grab.

If you go after the nasty vote you may get it.

But that's all you'll get. And all you'll deserve.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

"original copyright expires in 2024, so all depictions since then would be covered, I guess"

I shouldn't have put 'I guess' as it's not a guess, but my intention was to point out that is indeed the earliest version, so everything is still covered until 2024. After that it will get more hazy as e.g. a direct copy of the out of copyright one would be fine. Any drawing that wasn't a blatant copy of a later version might be ok too, if argued to be a derived work of the original, rather than of a later, still in copyright, version.

But anyway, you'd think comms would have put out that the real reason was concern about possible infringement, not making it as grim as possible for you arrivees. Unless the desire was to be seen to be making it as grim as possible for young arrivees.
    Though ice cream vans have always managed to deal with the copyright thing by having slightly wrongly-drawn characters.

From the wonderful John Finnemore:

https://youtu.be/Lray-9F1WP4
  • Options
    PeckPeck Posts: 517
    TimS said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

By @Moonrabbit Dutch salute standards this is bad for Labour because the Lib Dem score is low. The tits are being tucked back under
    the t-shirt.

Yougov clearly have a problem with sampling though because there’s no way REF and Greens are on anything close to 9% and 7%. Oversampling politically hyper-engaged nutters.
    What is a Dutch salute? I'm guessing you're not using either of the definitions listed in the Urban Dictionary.
  • Options

DavidL said:

No there isn't.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@nicholascecil

In fact the 41% Labour are on in Uxbridge is not much higher than the 38% Labour got in Uxbridge in 2019.

Sounds like extremely efficient vote distribution. Smaller swing in London, larger one in the marginal provinces. Nice.
  • Options

DavidL said:

If you go after the nasty vote you may get it.

But that's all you'll get. And all you'll deserve.
    And that's the doom loop the Conservatives are in.

And why, though they should (surely?) return in time, there's a non-trivial risk that they won't.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Though ice cream vans have always managed to deal with the copyright thing by having slightly wrongly-drawn characters.

Just need to employ whoever does the packaging design for Aldi and Lidl :wink:
  • Options
    edited July 2023

HYUFD said:

If the Tories aim for RefUK's 9% then that is what the Tories deserve at the next election.

9%
    Most of the current Tory voters will also back a harder line on illegal immigration too
  • Options
    Peck said:

TimS said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

the t-shirt.

What is a Dutch salute? I'm guessing you're not using either of the definitions listed in the Urban Dictionary.
    I’ll leave it to the original positor of this polling theory to reveal all.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

9%
    Most of the current Tory voters will also back a harder line on illegal immigration too
    Will you?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Andy_JS said:

I think doubling down on smashing it round the park is probably a good idea at this point in the innings. Wood's going to end up our 3rd highest scorer. Woakes is an allrounder, Wood is a 90 MPH+ pace bowler. He'd have been out for less than 24 with a less aggressive approach.
  • Options
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@nicholascecil

Sounds like extremely efficient vote distribution. Smaller swing in London, larger one in the marginal provinces. Nice.
    The only region of the UK Rishi is polling better than Boris was last summer is in London that is why
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,730

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

There is a tiny further straw in the wind for Labour (36) against the SNP (33) in the (of course unreliable) Scottish sub sample.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,512
    Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

No there isn't.
    No there isn't what? If I have you right, how do you explain Honest Bob Jenrick?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

I think doubling down on smashing it round the park is probably a good idea at this point in the innings. Wood's going to end up our 3rd highest scorer. Woakes is an allrounder, Wood is a 90 MPH+ pace bowler. He'd have been out for less than 24 with a less aggressive approach.
    Australia are a better side than England atm. It's as simple as that.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

There is a tiny further straw in the wind for Labour (36) against the SNP (33) in the (of course unreliable) Scottish sub sample.
    I think it’s quite possible FPTP is about to deliver one of its unique specials in the next election.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,156

Apparently this is the enormous train that stalled, with one diesel loco dead.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Absolutely, the afternoon session is already going better than the morning session did to be frank.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,730
    TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

I think it’s quite possible FPTP is about to deliver one of its unique specials in the next election.
    If you Baxter these figures (which won't happen of course) the Tories end up clinging on in South Holland and the Deepings and not much else.

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,945
    Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Australia are a better side than England atm. It's as simple as that.
    Basically all fielding and confidence. Thats been the difference.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

If you Baxter these figures (which won't happen of course) the Tories end up clinging on in South Holland and the Deepings and not much else.

I hate drawing parallels with prior elections (each election is unique) but if the Tories decide to go for the nasty party vote, then Canada 1993 is the only worthy parallel for what should occur.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Selebian said:

Harumph. Winnie the Pooh as drawn by Disney is a minor abomination. The through spirit of Pooh is captured by E H Shephard.
    DavidL said:

Makes me wonder about their other decisions. Such as the way childrten are schooled and fed. Or adults, for that matter.
  • Options
    Swings implied by the opinion polls

Uxbridge 11.5%
    Selby 24%
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

9%
    The problem you have is a hard line on boat people which allows in more boat people is counter- intuitive.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,066
    Carnyx said:

Diesels! Pfft! Who needs them?
  • Options

algarkirk said:

TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

I hate drawing parallels with prior elections (each election is unique) but if the Tories decide to go for the nasty party vote, then Canada 1993 is the only worthy parallel for what should occur.
    The opposite. In Canada 1993 all the 'nasty' vote went to the Reform Party and the Canadian Tories not only lost power to the Liberals but were overtaken as the main party of the right and Opposition by the Reform Party and lost almost all their seats
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

The opposite. In Canada 1993 all the 'nasty' vote went to the Reform Party and the Canadian Tories not only lost power to the Liberals but were overtaken as the main party of the right and Opposition by the Reform Party and lost almost all their seats
    I think describing many conservatives as "nasty" is probably counterproductive for the left.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 659
    IS the high score for Reform just down to sampling? And is HYUFD correct that Sunak simply has to 'bring them back' to the Cons to make his party's figures respectable?

Maybe so, but maybe not.

Taking the latter point first:
    It is always worth remembering that the Brexit vote, and UKIP/Reform/Reclaim support, does not draw exclusively from previous Cons. A considerable chunk of that vote is from Labour (remember the Red Wall Con gains). If Reform are on 9%, then even a low ex-Labour figure of 2% means that instead of having a potential 9% gain, Sunak is looking at 5% (7 Con - 2 Lab). Not looking so good.
    Then, as any smaller party activist will tell you, there are odd crossovers all the time on canvassing sheets: the former BNP voter now voting Green, the former LibDem now voting UKIP, and so on. Add another 1% for that, and now the Cons pool is 4%.
    FInally there are the NOTA voters who simply drift away when there's no suitable option available: in other words the Reform voters who won't turn out for the Cons just because that's the 'next best thing'. Those can be really significant in number: say another 2%. That leaves the Cons with 2% to play with, instead of the 9% they 'started with' as a target.
    So, without making any ridiculous estimates, the Con target pool has all but vanished. And I think my estimates, particularly of NOTA voters, are very cautious.

All of this applies to the question of sampling, plus one other factor. If, as I think we all assume, Reform has hardly reached the awareness of most voters, who tend to be low information between elections, what would the impact be on such a voter of seeing 'Reform' as a party name alongside Con, Lab, LDm and Green? 'Reform' sounds good, right? We all think our political system needs reform? Yes we'd like a party called 'Reform' that presumably wants to reform things. But come election time, and people find out what 'Reform' actually stands for, and it isn't hard to see some voters deciding that the reform they want is the LibDem, or Green, or PC/SNP (all right, not SNP)
    sort of reform.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

Are you suggesting Farage should go back to someone else's constituency and prepare for government?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

No, even on today's Yougov the Tories still hold 59 seats after the boundary changes

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=22&LAB=47&LIB=9&Reform=9&Green=7&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=18.5&SCOTLAB=31.5&SCOTLIB=7.8&SCOTReform=0&SCOTGreen=1.3&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=36.4&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

I think describing many conservatives as "nasty" is probably counterproductive for the left.
    Actually being nasty is far, far more counterproductive, whether it be right or left that are being nasty.

Calling out Corbyn's antisemitism and nastiness didn't do the Tories any harm. Nor should calling out the Tories nastiness harm Labour.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

No, even on today's Yougov the Tories still hold 59 seats after the boundary changes

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=22&LAB=47&LIB=9&Reform=9&Green=7&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=18.5&SCOTLAB=31.5&SCOTLIB=7.8&SCOTReform=0&SCOTGreen=1.3&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=36.4&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase
    So just a flesh wound really.
  • Options
    Talking of trains I’m on the 14.03 to Penzance, getting off at Totnes. A definite holiday vibe among the passengers. Beautiful weather today (which should have been good for batting, alas).
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Diesels! Pfft! Who needs them?
    "Electric" trains in The Little Book of Department-for-Transport Thought.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,408
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

‘Twould be but a flesh wound!
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    TimS said:

Talking of trains I’m on the 14.03 to Penzance, getting off at Totnes. A definite holiday vibe among the passengers. Beautiful weather today (which should have been good for batting, alas).

Mm, you'll get the Dawlish coast and Teign Estuary. Is it the direct line? It's a nice trundle past the Crofton pumping station and along the Kennet and Avon Canal.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

the t-shirt.

“By Moonrabbit Dutch salute standards this is bad for Labour because the Lib Dem score is low.”

Absolutely. It’s not that size of your LLG what matters, it’s what you do with it.

Uniform swing models put the Tories around 200 seats. Which HY will be very happy with on GE Nite. The difference between Tories 200+ seats or 160- seats is not a Con v Lab battle.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Just need to employ whoever does the packaging design for Aldi and Lidl :wink:
    And caterpillars.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

It is the centre right describing the govt as nasty on pb today.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

Actually being nasty is far, far more counterproductive, whether it be right or left that are being nasty.

Calling out Corbyn's antisemitism and nastiness didn't do the Tories any harm. Nor should calling out the Tories nastiness harm Labour.
    In Sunak, I see a doomed attempt to try to please perceived potential voters by pretending to be something he is not. Similar to how Miliband tried to please perceived potential voters by pretending to be something he is not. Both pandered/ing rather more to the social conservatives than their natural instincts would suggest and putting off social liberals by doing so while also looking weak and dishonest.

Miliband is much better when he's being honest. Sunak perhaps would be too. Or perhaps he is just an empty suit. If you're going to pretend to be something you're not, you need to be a good liar. Johnson was, of course, the master of that. Blair too, to an extent. Brown also tried and failed.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/jul/07/study-finds-english-libraries-generate-at-least-34bn-in-yearly-value

On the wider issue of kicking children in the teeth and stamping on their necks:

"Libraries in England generate at least £3.4bn in value a year through services supporting children’s literacy, digital inclusion and health, a study has found.

Researchers at the University of East Anglia discovered that the services that a typical branch provides in a year are worth £1m, and that libraries’ value could equate to six times their running costs."
  • Options
    TimS said:

If we'd only had some batsmen rather than headless chickens.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

So just a flesh wound really.
    That's on UNS. And as Duke Ellington didn't write, It Don't Mean A Thing If It's Uniform Swing (doo wop doo wop doo wop doo wop doo wop).

Even 20% LibLab tactical slosh takes the Conservatives down to 42.

At 50%, they are down to 21, behind both the Lib Dems and the SNP. The Conservative leadership election would be between Jeremy Hunt, Damian Hinds, Sir Gavin Williamson and Mark Francois.

#justabitof fun
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,459
    Selebian said:

I don’t think copyright is a slam dunk. You can use copyrighted materials in the U.K. if you can apply one or more of a number of ‘fair dealing’ exceptions to copyright law, which means that certain uses of an artistic work do not require permission from the copyright owner so long as the use is considered to be
    ‘fair’. It’s possible (although this is outside my area) this use could fall within “educational” in that it is intended to create a calmer environment for children out of their native environment to play and learn.

More relevant, given that no possible commercial advantage was being gained by anyone by this use, it’s hard to see what damage Disney could suffer, and thus what remedy they could claim. Quite the opposite in fact - if anything HMG was freely advertising their products. Does Disney want a situation where every school, youth group etc up and down the U.K. is too scared to put The Mouse on their walls?
  • Options
    Even better poll for SKS Party

Rishi is even more screwed

LAB: 51% (+3)
    CON: 25% (-1)
    LDEM: 8% (-)
    REF: 5% (-2)
    GRN: 5% (-)

via @Omnisis, 06 - 07 Jul
  • Options
    TimS said:

Peck said:

TimS said:

Rishi is screwed

via @YouGov, 05 - 06 Jul

the t-shirt.

I’ll leave it to the original positor of this polling theory to reveal all.
    I’m a bit busy watching the cricket. 😃

England can end up chasing a smallish total in the 4th innings.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,082
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/jul/07/study-finds-english-libraries-generate-at-least-34bn-in-yearly-value

On the wider issue of kicking children in the teeth and stamping on their necks:

"Libraries in England generate at least £3.4bn in value a year through services supporting children’s literacy, digital inclusion and health, a study has found.

Researchers at the University of East Anglia discovered that the services that a typical branch provides in a year are worth £1m, and that libraries’ value could equate to six times their running costs."

We should have ten times as many libraries then. This kind of analysis is always so speculative. in this case they include rates and social care that would otherwise have been delivered anyway.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,824
    edited July 2023

Forget interest rates, pay rates and the cost of living.

If Sunak just says "stop the boats" one more time that will turn things around.

5674th time is the charm.
  • Options
    @Omnisis
    1/ With Wimbledon in full swing, Labour smashed it in the polls this week. They’ve served up a 26-point lead over the Tories according to our latest voter intention poll.

🔴 Lab 51% (+3)
    🔵 Con 25% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (NC)
    🟡 SNP 3% (-1)
    ⚪ Ref 5% (-2)
    🟢 Green 5% (NC)
  • Options

BJO fans please explain?
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Terrible Dutch Salute there.

What’s wrong with LLG voters - are they just plain stupid 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,258
    TimS said:

We're off to Southwold tomorrow for the weekend. I'm a bit of a connoisseur of the British seaside, and IMV Southwold is the nearest you can get to perfection.

Sadly I can't get the train there, unless they hurry up and rebuild the Southwold Railway...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    England aren't a one man team.....they are a one man one legged team.....
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Unfortunately, from 188-1 at Lord's and arguably also in the second innings at Edgbaston, England's batting has been poor. They simply have not shown enough application. They've made fantastic opportunities and let them slip with dumb shots. Coupled with some very ordinary fielding they have literally thrown away the Ashes. First defeat on home soil since 2001.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    The percentage of 6s in this England innings must be one of the highest in the history of test cricket. Andy Saltzman might have something to say about it later on.
  • Options

25% for the Tories there though is higher than the 22% with Yougov
  • Options

Appropriate given they were stumped at Lord's.
  • Options

A one legged all-rounder has now scored more runs than the entire batting lineup combined.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Unfortunately, from 188-1 at Lord's and arguably also in the second innings at Edgbaston, England's batting has been poor. They simply have not shown enough application. They've made fantastic opportunities and let them slip with dumb shots. Coupled with some very ordinary fielding they have literally thrown away the Ashes. First defeat on home soil since 2001.

Probably but Stokes can get a 1st innings lead at this rate
  • Options
    Anyone with tickets for Sunday at Headingley is going to be a bit worried that the match will be over by then.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,875
    edited July 2023
    I mean, if the rumours that Mickey Mouse wears a Robert Jenrick watch are true. then I can see Jenrick's pov.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336

A one legged all-rounder has now scored more runs than the entire batting lineup combined.
    Herculean efforts from Stokes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I have to admire that response!
  • Options

Forget interest rates, pay rates and the cost of living.

If Sunak just says "stop the boats" one more time that will turn things around.

5674th time is the charm.
    If he'd actually been 'stopping the boats' rather than overseeing a significant increase since making his ridiculous pledges, then it might actually have some purchase (even so, it's nowt next to people being hundreds of pounds worse off every month).
  • Options

Under any other leader Lab would be 20% ahead. Hang on...
  • Options
    TimS said:

Fools gold weather today sadly 😕 forecast for rest of July is rubbish
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,030
    Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton

NHS (41% | 18%)
    Housing (38% | 16%)
    Education (38% | 19%)
    Immigration (30% | 23%)
    The Economy (33% | 27%)
    Ukraine (29% | 27%)

Ouch. Not that they don't deserve it and some of those are margin of error territory, but that's damning if they can't even win on traditional Tory territory or on Ukraine!
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

When the world ends I want you there to give a positive spin for the Tories. “YouGov’s last survey before Selby became an irradiated wasteland put the Tories 2% ahead amongst cockroaches and other species most likely to survive a nuclear inferno.”
    The cockroaches though had a higher approval rating...
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

When the world ends I want you there to give a positive spin for the Tories. “YouGov’s last survey before Selby became an irradiated wasteland put the Tories 2% ahead amongst cockroaches and other species most likely to survive a nuclear inferno.”
    Either that or he'll be saying that the imminent cockroach takeover of the world is a reason for the Tories to aim for the ReFUK vote.
This discussion has been closed.