Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Let’s not forget BoJo’s ratings as PM – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I found another angle. It really is worse than the Walkie Talkie. Much much worse

Walkie Talkie at least as some kind of symmetry to it, and it's not lost in the untidy, unholy mess that comprises today's Square Mile, being situated on Fenchurch Street.
    The square mile is turning into a massive single cluster of steel and glass. Impressive or hideous or maybe both. Also unique

I love the juxtaposition with ancient london. The tower. Tower bridge. St Paul’s. The wren spires

I despair of the banality and blockiness of some of the towers. 22 Bishopsgate is the worst but at least it will soon be hidden by several other towers. They need to get rid of the insanely cautious height restrictions
    You rave about the wretchedness of downtown DC, yet opine about the pile of hideousness that is 99% of City of London?

Mega-chutzpah!
    London is full of exquisite buildings. And vistas. And palaces. And all that. And history

There are some utter eyesores in the modernist City but even there you’ve got the gherkin, the Lloyds building, the cheese grater. It’s a jumble. That’s london. Superb next to shite, ancient next to new. Roman walls stare at the Shard. The Norman tower looks at Victorian Borough

Central DC is just a soullless stretch of architectural dreck and vain glory without - as far as I can see - a single noble building

I’m sure Georgetown is all very pretty and faux-Highgate. Like old Boston
    Downtown DC isn't very pretty, it is true. But the Capitol Building is iconic and an impressive sight at the top of Capitol Hill. Looking back at it down the Mall from the Lincoln Memorial is quite stirring.
    A bit unfair to call Georgetown faux-Highgate as the buildings are probably about the same age in the two places. I don't like Georgetown much for the same reason I don't like Highgate, it's full of insufferably dull rich people. The nicest neighbourhood in DC is Capitol Hill/Eastern Market, a really lovely leafy red brick victorian patch of shady streets, parks and squares. I am biased as I used to live there!
    Rather harsh on Highgate and its people, you should come up here more often :)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671

kle4 said:

Sinister stuff this - will anyone stop this maniac from putting his face next to a flag? I feel oppressed just looking at it.

I really don't get what Cathy Green is going on about. Surely we want a prospective PM who is planning in the National Interest. I am not saying I would agree with that plan. I am not saying that the nation comes before the individual (in my mind). But isn't the whole point of the Government to act in (what they perceive as) the National Interest? And if so then why not advertise it?
    My objection to it is that if it has to carry a huge 'IN THE NATIONAL INTEREST' label on the front, it almost certainly isn't. It's also (as someone said) damning itself with very faint praise - it's in the national interest - big whoop, were we expecting a plan against the national interest?

It's looks to me like a piece of faux patriotism created by people who strongly dislike patriotism. It reminds me of a TV ad I've seen for Smart Meters; the ad aims for a patriotic angle on Smart Meters using more 'British energy', but actually ends up being a crass parody of the middle aged 'patriotic' couple it portrays, because those making the ad weren't imaginative enough to do anything else, even of the end result is insulting to those it was intended to appeal to.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,223
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Last 10 Polls

LAB 44,42,41,47,42,43.44,44,46,44 Ave 43.7
    CON 30,31,29,27,29,29,30,30,25,27 Ave 28.7

Lead 15 points

Can SKS blow it from here?

What lead did Theresa May have at the start of the 2017 campaign? Can't remember.
    Yes, but Starmer is no May, and Sunak is no Corbyn.
    No, May has more presence than Starmer
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

his face takes up a lot of space.

It's totally not a really weird paranoia or anything.

I like the way with the enormous version of her on the helicopter they have given her wheels for legs and an enormous great cock!
    Is that a missile in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?

I thought she was supposed to be anti-Trident.
  • Options

Can I make a small point of order:

IMHO piling in on HYUFD for his political opinions is fine, but piling in on him because of his religious faith demeans those that do it. Just sayin'

That is spot on. HYFUD's religious beliefs should be respected. I also suspect that those piling on would be slightly more reticent if HYFUD proclaimed himself Muslim (and, yes, that means you think because HYFUD is a Christian it is fair game to attack his faith whereas you would be concerned about being called Islamophobic etc if you attacked the faith of those with different religions).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229

kle4 said:

Sinister stuff this - will anyone stop this maniac from putting his face next to a flag? I feel oppressed just looking at it.

The real issue is his plan.
    Is it? Has he even got one?

It would make a change to have an actual plan instead of vapid, generic platitudes.
    What he has announced is old school Labour.
    So he's actually announced something?

What's he actually announced?
    He's announced that he's going to have an announcement, where he will announce that he has a plan.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,665
    Scott_xP said:

@christiancalgie
    2m
    🚨🚨 Boris tells the Express “Nothing less than absolute victory and total Brexit will do – and as the great Arnold Schwarzenegger said, 𝗜’𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸.”

https://twitter.com/christiancalgie/status/1668350322400452632

Here's a thought.

The 2022 confidence vote (the one Boris won) was on June 6
    Chris Pincher's resignation was on June 30
    Rishi and The Saj resigned on July 5
    Then we had that mad 36 hours before Boris announced his resignation on July 7
    Friends of Boris talked up his plan to stand in the autumn leadership election until he decided not to on October 23

And now he's not an MP. It's a hell of a fall from some sort of grace.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

IMHO piling in on HYUFD for his political opinions is fine, but piling in on him because of his religious faith demeans those that do it. Just sayin'

That is spot on. HYFUD's religious beliefs should be respected. I also suspect that those piling on would be slightly more reticent if HYFUD proclaimed himself Muslim (and, yes, that means you think because HYFUD is a Christian it is fair game to attack his faith whereas you would be concerned about being called Islamophobic etc if you attacked the faith of those with different religions).
    HYUFD likes a bit of rough and tumble.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

I like the way with the enormous version of her on the helicopter they have given her wheels for legs and an enormous great cock!
    Strap-on Sturgeon. Hopefully her husband has plenty of vaseline round the house.
  • Options

Well said.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,808

Why?
    Well, mainly because mocking someone for their religion is sixth form stuff. It is pretty low. By all means mock religion per se (I am a great fan of the Life of Brian), but mocking an individual for holding a religious faith is pretty naff.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Woman jailed for 2 years for inducing an abortion when 32-34 weeks pregnant via abortion pills
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-65882169

How many miscarriages did your so-called "God" cause today?
    Sunil, that is i) rude and ii) not the point
    He believes in God, why not raise it?
    None, God doesn't control the earth directly and hasn't done since the Fall of Adam and Eve.

So what's the point of "worshipping" Him, then?

Either He CAUSES miscarriages, meaning He's a cruel scumbag

OR

He is unable or unwilling to PREVENT miscarriages, meaning He's a cruel scumbag.

Either way, what's the point of "worshipping" Him?
    As if you trust in Christ or die very young and innocent you get eternal life with him
    I thought the whole point of original sin is that nobody is "innocent".
    And nobody who truly trusts in Christ is denied eternal life as he died for all our sins
    Not sure what relevance that has to my response, but ok.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Woman jailed for 2 years for inducing an abortion when 32-34 weeks pregnant via abortion pills

None, God doesn't control the earth directly and hasn't done since the Fall of Adam and Eve.

OR

He is unable or unwilling to PREVENT miscarriages, meaning He's a cruel scumbag.

As if you trust in Christ or die very young and innocent you get eternal life with him
    And nobody who truly trusts in Christ is denied eternal life as he died for all our sins
    Everything, the entire point of Christianity if you actually knew anything about it
    But, what happens if you don't know anything about it, or don't believe, or are of a different religion? Will God let me in? I've genuinely, throughout my life,took no interest in religion. I was the kid looking around morning school assembly while most others were praying. The only lessons I ever skipped or did zero homework for was RE. What if I believed in "a" God, but not "the" God? If he's as hands off nowadays as you say, maybe he'll let his standards slip, let me sneak in?
    You end up in purgatory, provided you haven't been really bad and end up in hell, until you have fully committed to Christ
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Is that like saying Black people know you are only joking when you bring out a Jim Davidson line?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,165
    Scott_xP said:

@christiancalgie
    2m
    🚨🚨 Boris tells the Express “Nothing less than absolute victory and total Brexit will do – and as the great Arnold Schwarzenegger said, 𝗜’𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸.”

A Dark Fate indeed, with no obvious Salvation. He needs to come to terms with his Judgement Day.
  • Options

Oh what sanctimonious rubbish.

I'm happy to take anyone on who tries to shove their stuff down other people's throats, and yes that includes Muslims too. If someone is preaching Islam then its not Islamophobic to reject or rebut it, any more than its antisemitic to do so for someone preaching Judaism.

Discriminating against someone because they're x, y or z is wrong, but debating ideas if someone is putting theirs forwards and you view things differently is never wrong. Its civilised and enlightened and can be a pleasant conversation for both parties. He likes it as much as we do.
  • Options
    What a scoop! (I jest, but the early history of Rome is indeed interesting).

How was Rome founded? Not in a day, and not by twins.

The mythical Romulus and Remus may get the credit, but Rome's archaeology reveals local tribes established the ancient kingdom.

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/history-and-civilisation/2023/01/how-was-rome-founded-not-in-a-day-and-not-by-twins?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB
  • Options
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

Everything, the entire point of Christianity if you actually knew anything about it
    You said that if you die "very young and innocent" you get eternal life. I questioned that by referencing original sin. You responded with an irrelevant sentence about "trusting in Christ".

A typical conversation with you to be honest - a total waste of time.
    No, you ignored my response as it did not suit your ideological secular agenda.

As I said we all have some sins but Christ died to save all of us who truly trusted in him
    So do newborns trust in Christ?
    Technically original sin only applies to humans alive at birth, not aborted foetuses who are eternally innocent
  • Options
    edited June 2023

kle4 said:

Is that like saying Black people know you are only joking when you bring out a Jim Davidson line?
    No, because HYUFD has outright said it doesn't bother him and he'd be far from reticent in saying otherwise. He doesn't need white knights.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

Bank customers experience problems with online Mastercard payments
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/bank-customers-experience-problems-with-online-mastercard-payments/ar-AA1csfc9

Cashless society advocates, please explain.

It wouldn't allow me to buy pies and Lumphammer ale online from Mad O'Rourke's Tipton Pie Factory.just an hour ago, so it wasn't fixed then.

The country has gone to the dogs now Boris is finished.
    You sir are an absolute genius. That is perhaps the best bit of advertising I have ever seen on PB.

You just knew we would have to go and look to see if it was real and now I have to spend large amounts of money I don't have on things that I know are bad for me but I just must have.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,165
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

It would make a change to have an actual plan instead of vapid, generic platitudes.

He's announced that he's going to have an announcement, where he will announce that he has a plan.
    So he has a plan to announce that he will announce that he has a plan. Well, that makes sense. :)
  • Options

I'm happy to take anyone on who tries to shove their stuff down other people's throats, and yes that includes Muslims too. If someone is preaching Islam then its not Islamophobic to reject or rebut it, any more than its antisemitic to do so for someone preaching Judaism.

Discriminating against someone because they're x, y or z is wrong, but debating ideas if someone is putting theirs forwards and you view things differently is never wrong. Its civilised and enlightened and can be a pleasant conversation for both parties. He likes it as much as we do.
    If you are happy to take on all religions and don't discriminate, then your call. Personally, I think it is rather gauche to criticise someone for their faith. It is their right and it is not offending you so why get your knickers in a twist about it if you think it is all bollocks anyway? Just say 'thank you very much, that is your call'.

However, you only have to look around to see there are some who are all 'look how brave I am' when it comes to making a criticism of Christianity but wouldn't have the same 'bravery' when it came to other religions.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited June 2023

Why?
    Well, mainly because mocking someone for their religion is sixth form stuff. It is pretty low. By all means mock religion per se (I am a great fan of the Life of Brian), but mocking an individual for holding a religious faith is pretty naff.
    I think I reached a similar conclusion after watching this act;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZeWPScnolo

I mean it’s hilarious and very well written. But it’s just too personal. Probably fabricated, for comic effect, but still.

It’s not cricket.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,952
    edited June 2023
    The UK really needs some ambition & instead we get, well...

(Not that we have to choose chips & batteries, but the web3 bandwagon fell apart. Attempting to jump on it now just demonstrates how out of touch Sunak et al are.)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618
    Andy_JS said:

Last 10 Polls

LAB 44,42,41,47,42,43.44,44,46,44 Ave 43.7
    CON 30,31,29,27,29,29,30,30,25,27 Ave 28.7

Lead 15 points

Can SKS blow it from here?

What lead did Theresa May have at the start of the 2017 campaign? Can't remember.
    Something in the region of 20% approx.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Yes, as mentioned below I don't mind my religious faith being criticised. However if I was not a standard C of E Christian but a fundamentalist Muslim those mocking my religious beliefs wouldn't just risk a few choice words of riposte but a potential Fatwa of death if they could be identified (ask Salman Rushdie)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Thanks but doesn't bother me. I will always take on the ideological secularists on here as hard as I am willing to take on the liberal left when needed
    God doesn't exist, OK, or He would do something about miscarriage. As it stands, He is the world's most prolific abortionist.
  • Options

I have to disagree. In my mind religious faith is just as much a choice as political belief. I have no time for dogmatic positions in either and so, though I would not set out to insult him because of it, I consider his religious beliefs to be just as much a part of his 'wrong headedness' as his political views.
    Gratuitous offensiveness is rarely a good idea, but the idea some topics are off limits for criticism because it's someone's belief is a bit off. If someone's faith is so brittle and childlike they cannot take gentle teasing on the internet about it then their faith is pretty shaky. There's plenty of people of faith on here, and if they want to get into the details of their beliefs that's as open for comment as any other detail people choose to share. People are adults, they can take that.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    It can’t be long before this Charlotte Owen stuff gets into the wider media, surely?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Hopefully a "trans"-itory situation.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Scott_xP said:

@christiancalgie
    2m

A Dark Fate indeed, with no obvious Salvation. He needs to come to terms with his Judgement Day.
    Come the next election, I doubt that he will be a Running Man.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes, as mentioned below I don't mind my religious faith being criticised. However if I was not a standard C of E Christian but a fundamentalist Muslim those mocking my religious beliefs wouldn't just risk a few choice words of riposte but a potential Fatwa of death if they could be identified (ask Salman Rushdie)
    Yes, because they are far less reasonable than you. That's not a reason to go easy on all beliefs, it's a sign that our culture is in a very bad place because, as South Park taught us, threats of violence and intimidation work, and a lot of people are happy to help it work, and the rest of us are not brave enough to go against that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Thanks but doesn't bother me. I will always take on the ideological secularists on here as hard as I am willing to take on the liberal left when needed
    God doesn't exist, OK, or He would do something about miscarriage. As it stands, He is the world's most prolific abortionist.
    I have already answered that point earlier
  • Options
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

So he has a plan to announce that he will announce that he has a plan. Well, that makes sense. :)
    It's all part of the plan!
  • Options
    Anyway, enough of this ephemeral Westminster guff - the big news is that Baroness Liz Truss will be giving a keynote interview before a live Town Hall audience on GBNews tomorrow at 9pm.
    https://www.gbnews.com/news/liz-truss-dan-wootton-gb-news-leigh?hac=1

Have your sets tuned.
  • Options

If you are happy to take on all religions and don't discriminate, then your call. Personally, I think it is rather gauche to criticise someone for their faith. It is their right and it is not offending you so why get your knickers in a twist about it if you think it is all bollocks anyway? Just say 'thank you very much, that is your call'.

However, you only have to look around to see there are some who are all 'look how brave I am' when it comes to making a criticism of Christianity but wouldn't have the same 'bravery' when it came to other religions.
    Absolutely I don't discriminate, but who's criticising him for his faith? I see people disagreeing with it, but I don't see much criticism of it.

Saying you disagree with someone, however forcefully, is not a criticism. I disagree with plenty of people on this site on plenty of issues, doesn't mean I don't respect them. And if someone is spreading their religion and others respond in kind disagreeing with it, then why is it only the latter that is inappropriate or getting their knickers in a twist? So we should just have a vacuum were people can preach but nobody ever responds to it? I don't think so.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

But, what happens if you don't know anything about it, or don't believe, or are of a different religion? Will God let me in? I've genuinely, throughout my life,took no interest in religion. I was the kid looking around morning school assembly while most others were praying. The only lessons I ever skipped or did zero homework for was RE. What if I believed in "a" God, but not "the" God? If he's as hands off nowadays as you say, maybe he'll let his standards slip, let me sneak in?
    You end up in purgatory, provided you haven't been really bad and end up in hell, until you have fully committed to Christ
    Where is this purgatory exactly?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,979

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

It's a lot like PB on a Monday night.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

I think it's important to note that (at the future date that will be presaged by this coming announcement) he will just be announcing that he has a plan. He will not be announcing the actual plan.

Obviously.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,551

Why?
    Yes, why?

In fact, I do agree with Nigel here. But I
    don't understand why I do. Why are
    politics fair game but religion not? It's arguable both sets of beliefs have the
    same mixture of actively chosen and formed-by-circumstance. Yet we are much more respectful of sincerely held religious beliefs than sincerely held political beliefs.
  • Options

Anyway, enough of this ephemeral Westminster guff - the big news is that Baroness Liz Truss will be giving a keynote interview before a live Town Hall audience on GBNews tomorrow at 9pm.
    https://www.gbnews.com/news/liz-truss-dan-wootton-gb-news-leigh?hac=1

Have your sets tuned.

The 49-day Queen PM!!
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited June 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

You said that if you die "very young and innocent" you get eternal life. I questioned that by referencing original sin. You responded with an irrelevant sentence about "trusting in Christ".

As I said we all have some sins but Christ died to save all of us who truly trusted in him
    Technically original sin only applies to humans alive at birth, not aborted foetuses who are eternally innocent
    So a baby born with severe defects that means they die forty minutes after birth is not innocent but instead a sinner with original sin?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

HYUFD said:

Why would He?

A world without harm would be stagnant.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It can’t be long before this Charlotte Owen stuff gets into the wider media, surely?

There has to be a story. Thirtysomething Spads don't get sent straight to the House of Lords... That bit makes no sense on its own terms and highlights the absurdity of the current setup. And what politically-minded thirtysomething wants to be catapulted into the Lords? Politically, it's being pensioned off before you have had the chance to do anything in your own right.

The story doesn't have to be one involving Johnson's genetic material in one way or another, but there has to be something rum going on.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    edited June 2023
    IanB2 said:

What stuff?
    The bald fact was understood in the weekend.
    Ross Kempsell is equally egregious (he is 31) but he is not photogenic and presumably is above suspicion of having had an affair with Boris.
  • Options

Yea but you believe in Brexit which is a far far more ludicrous and illogical religion than any of HY's beliefs. I mean, you believed in Boris Johnson!! lol.

The reality is Barty, you remind me of people of undeveloped intellect who think it makes them look very big and witty to compare religion with Father Christmas and fairies (in fact I recall you making such a juvenile and uninformed suggestion), when in fact most of your political beliefs are so all over the place that I think you would believe anything that was told to you by someone that you like/hero worshipped , particularly if it aligned with your personal gripes and prejudices, or perhaps they painted it on the side of a bus. The Judeo-Christian tradition has given us most of our civilisation and ability to reason critically, but it has clearly left little mark on you. Your critique of religion is generally misinformed at best and basically moronic at worst. I'd stay off the subject if I were as misinformed as you. Stick to something you can relate to like planning policy. It requires less thought.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, because they are far less reasonable than you. That's not a reason to go easy on all beliefs, it's a sign that our culture is in a very bad place because, as South Park taught us, threats of violence and intimidation work, and a lot of people are happy to help it work, and the rest of us are not brave enough to go against that.
    Being a face eating leopard helps one go far, in many democracies, even though it should not.
  • Options
    If you don’t think Keir has a plan, you’re presumably just reading crap newspapers etc. its just a lazy meme at this stage.

There’s been a couple of pieces in the FT, and others in the New Statesman etc, plus the podcast “The Power Test”, that are good on his emerging plans.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

So a baby born with severe defects that means they die forty minutes after birth is not innocent but instead a sinner with original sin?
    It may have inherited a tainted sinful nature as a human but would not have ever acted on it so would go straight to heaven
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Phil said:

The UK really needs some ambition & instead we get, well...

(Not that we have to choose chips & batteries, but the web3 bandwagon fell apart. Attempting to jump on it now just demonstrates how out of touch Sunak et al are.)

Sunak is the last pure laissez-fairist in the world, and he’s left it to Treasury to mastermind his paltry gestures toward an industrial policy.
  • Options

Yea but you believe in Brexit which is a far far more ludicrous and illogical religion than any of HY's beliefs. I mean, you believed in Boris Johnson!! lol.

The reality is Barty, you remind me of people of undeveloped intellect who think it makes them look very big and witty to compare religion with Father Christmas and fairies (in fact I recall you making such a juvenile and uninformed suggestion), when in fact most of your political beliefs are so all over the place that I think you would believe anything that was told to you by someone that you like/hero worshipped , particularly if it aligned with your personal gripes and prejudices, or perhaps they painted it on the side of a bus. The Judeo-Christian tradition has given us most of our civilisation and ability to reason critically, but it has clearly left little mark on you. Your critique of religion is generally misinformed at best and basically moronic at worst. I'd stay off the subject if I were as misinformed as you. Stick to something you can relate to like planning policy. It requires less thought.
    I would not ever compare religion to Father Christmas. The latter is real.

I am Father Christmas for my kids, as my parents were before me and for me. Millions of people spend every December creating the magic of Christmas and ensuring that Father Christmas is real for their children.

That's totally different to grown ups believing that sky fairies have decreed an absolute set of rules which should be enforced exactly as their prejudices happen to align or else you're a sinner.

Our civilisation owes far more to the Mesopotamians, Egyptians, Greeks and Romans than it does Judeo-Christianism which jumped on the bandwagon of pre-existing civilisation.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,187

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

Purge a tory?
    Suits you sir, just drop into PB whenever you like

• Options
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

Purge a tory?
    Suits you sir, just drop into PB whenever you like

Did she WANT it, sir? Did she? Did she WANT it, sir?
  • Options
    What is “total Brexit” supposed to mean?

Sounds a bit eschatological to me, and presumably culminates in some mass kool-aid drinking ceremony somewhere in the South American jungle.
  • Options

I am Father Christmas for my kids, as my parents were before me and for me. Millions of people spend every December creating the magic of Christmas and ensuring that Father Christmas is real for their children.

That's totally different to grown ups believing that sky fairies have decreed an absolute set of rules which should be enforced exactly as their prejudices happen to align or else you're a sinner.

Our civilisation owes far more to the Mesopotamians, Egyptians, Greeks and Romans than it does Judeo-Christianism which jumped on the bandwagon of pre-existing civilisation.
    I think you just proved my point. Stick to discussing planning. You have more cred in that area.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,284

Some version of the future where BoZo doesn't look like a colossal twat for signing the shittiest deal available.

Luckily, never going to happen.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Why would He?

Heaven will be a bit dull won't it? No arguments allowed for a start! There will be no celestial PB
  • Options

Sounds a bit eschatological to me, and presumably culminates in some mass kool-aid drinking ceremony somewhere in the South American jungle.

The Dutch national team had "Total Football" in the 1970s.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,133
    I said they were stupid rushing to judgment before seeing the indictment.
    Though it might simply have been cynical tactics on Haley’s part, gesturing ‘loyalty’.
    Doesn’t speak well of her ability to uphold the Constitution.

Nikki Haley on Fox just now says if the charges against Trump are true, "Trump was incredibly reckless with our national security."
    Before the indictment was unsealed Haley argued it was "prosecutorial overreach" and "vendetta politics."

https://twitter.com/KateSullivanDC/status/1668346965384646656

Should have thought of this earlier.
    Haley says, "My husband is about to deploy this weekend. This puts all of our military men and women in danger if you are going to talk about what our military is capable of or how we would go about invading or doing something with one of our enemies."
  • Options

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Why would He?

Heaven will be a bit dull won't it? No arguments allowed for a start! There will be no celestial PB
    I am sure it can continue in purgatory or hell, though OGH will of course be in the clouds with angels and harps
  • Options

I thought it is a new euphemism. Eg. "That is total Brexit" meaning a load of pointless bollox that has served no purpose whatsoever.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

I think it's important to note that (at the future date that will be presaged by this coming announcement) he will just be announcing that he has a plan. He will not be announcing the actual plan.

Obviously.
    None of which really matters - all that matters is what's in the manifesto come the election.

If that's vacuous/crap/unworkable/uninspiring, well that will matter.
  • Options

The ancient world, pre conversion to Christianity, is fascinating, but a place whose notions of right and wrong, and proper conduct, would be utterly alien and shocking to modern Western people. Much more alien than medieval Europe would be.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,287
    If “total Brexit” is anything other than a soundbite it must imply leaving the ECHR.
  • Options

Yes those regular crucifixions and fights to death of gladiators we still watch and worshipping of umpteen Gods
  • Options

If “total Brexit” is anything other than a soundbite it must imply leaving the ECHR.

Probably because 90% of people that believe in Brexit believe that the ECHR is part of the EU. Because they are dumb!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Why would He?

zit won’t be heaven without friendly disputation, surely ?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070
    edited June 2023
    WTI Crude trading at $67 a barrel

Looks like the Saudi oil production cut has not worked.

Does the Russian oil price cap need to be reduced?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Why would He?

I am sure it can continue in purgatory or hell, though OGH will of course be in the clouds with angels and harps
    Interesting that you mention purgatory. I thought that Anglicans rejected the concept?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Why would He?

Besides, the important thing about heaven is the idea of things carrying on eternally. Which sounds exactly like the debates here.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Why would He?

I’m sure Scottish sub-samples and cricket will be argued over.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Why would He?

Interesting that you mention purgatory. I thought that Anglicans rejected the concept?
    Some very high Anglo Catholics believe in it
  • Options
    What a wanker.

Chuck Grassley tells me he hasn’t read the indictment because he’s “not a legal analyst” (he previously chaired the judiciary committee)
    https://twitter.com/JoePerticone/status/1668358730985897987
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Why would He?

The official line in the 39 Articles has a definite downer on The Romish Doctrine concerning Purgatory. And all Anglican clergy have to declare their loyalty to the 39 Articles. However:

1 There is a bit of wriggle room in that phrase about the Romish Doctrine. The early Anglo Catholics put a lot of their considerable brain power into justifying their behavours in terms of the Church of England tradition.

2 The loyalty that clergy have to declare to the Articles is a nuanced thing. Best thought of as like the loyalty that a maverick backbencher has to show to their party manifesto.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,473

Bank customers experience problems with online Mastercard payments
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/bank-customers-experience-problems-with-online-mastercard-payments/ar-AA1csfc9

Cashless society advocates, please explain.

It wouldn't allow me to buy pies and Lumphammer ale online from Mad O'Rourke's Tipton Pie Factory.just an hour ago, so it wasn't fixed then.

The country has gone to the dogs now Boris is finished.
    You sir are an absolute genius. That is perhaps the best bit of advertising I have ever seen on PB.

You just knew we would have to go and look to see if it was real and now I have to spend large amounts of money I don't have on things that I know are bad for me but I just must have.
    Well don't buy all the pies because those of us with NatWest cards can't bloody buy any!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,796
    darkage said:

Who said the following about immigrants...

"If you suddenly find your neighbours have changed, and you suddenly find that the food in the shops is different, and you suddenly find that the faces in the schools are different that creates fear."

Nick Griffin?

Tommy Robinson?

Enoch Powell?

Margaret "you're a fookin racist" Hodge?

She was talking about the BNP entering Barking.
    Everyone feels fear. That’s entirely normal. Fear of the different is very, very common. Character is what you do with it.

PB is full of university educated people who have learned to love difference.

Many people, on the other hand, want their lives to run on tram lines. Change is hard for them. Hilariously, my wife, a first generation immigrant, rails against change…

Character comes from taking that moment of fear of the unknown and doing something positive with it.

I've worked in several large organisations when we have heard something very similar to the above, at the point when the organisation are getting in highly paid consultants to initiate restructures that mean people will lose their jobs and others will have to do twice as much work. You are basically getting totally screwed over but it is dressed up as 'change' that you have to 'embrace'.

The smart thing to do in this situation is embrace the change by getting a different job.
    Indeed - there’s no point in staying to be screwed over, even if it possible. I’ve seen that a few times over the years. The number of sheep who will wait for the New Dawn, though.

As I put it - remember to demonstrate the exact same level of personal compassion and loyalty that your company has given to you.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,883
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

And nobody who is capable of conscious thought and truly trusts in Christ is denied eternal life as he died for all our sins
    He didnt die for mine because I have no sins so he can go do one
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,979
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

And nobody who is capable of conscious thought and truly trusts in Christ is denied eternal life as he died for all our sins
    No sins? You should get out more!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

That is the sin of Pride, I think.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Russian milblogger "Voenkor Kotynok Z" says that a Ukrainian June 12 missile strike killed the chief of staff of Russia's 35th Combined Arms Army, Major General Sergei Goryachev
    https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1668372963375165443

(Though as yet unconfirmed.)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

No sins? You should get out more!
    My faith does not have the concept of sin
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

Nope because there are no sins in my faith, merely actions and consequences....we dont have commandments to obey. I guess if we did there would be only one...dont be a dick
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,989
    Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

If it's anything like my life - it's the sin of boring.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I said they were stupid rushing to judgment before seeing the indictment.
    Though it might simply have been cynical tactics on Haley’s part, gesturing ‘loyalty’.
    Doesn’t speak well of her ability to uphold the Constitution.

Nikki Haley on Fox just now says if the charges against Trump are true, "Trump was incredibly reckless with our national security."
    Before the indictment was unsealed Haley argued it was "prosecutorial overreach" and "vendetta politics."

https://twitter.com/KateSullivanDC/status/1668346965384646656

Should have thought of this earlier.
    Haley says, "My husband is about to deploy this weekend. This puts all of our military men and women in danger if you are going to talk about what our military is capable of or how we would go about invading or doing something with one of our enemies."

Tim Scott, locked in a deathwatch with Haley for the same piece of GOP turf, does much the same.

Haley, Scott take aim at Trump as cracks emerge in GOP’s rush to his defense
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/12/trump-indictment-gop-criticism-00101597
  • Options
    Very, is my take.
    I’m betting there are just enough Americans who won’t overlook the contempt for their country and constitution.

How Screwed Is Trump?
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/12/trump-indictment-gop-criticism-00101597

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,989
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Why would He?

Some very high Anglo Catholics believe in it
    There was a rather good 'Smith and Jones' TV play written by the wonderful John Mortimer that dealt with this. "The Waiting Room".
This discussion has been closed.