Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Let’s not forget BoJo’s ratings as PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    edited June 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

This is a good thread - though it fails in turn to note that "the commentariat" was hardly unanimous in its (belatedly vanished) enthusiasm for Johnson.
    Seldon, I hope, has the good judgment to blush deeply when he rereads some of the shit he came out with.

https://twitter.com/redhistorian/status/1668191638571581442
    I agree with Anthony Seldon about the damage Boris Johnson has done and his unfitness for public office.

But there's a question he doesn't address here, which needs more attention.

It troubled me about his book, too. So let me try to explain... 🧵

I posted this before.
    It’s an important thread.

Someone needs to explain how Seldon was so stupidly fooled in the first place.

Is it some kind of dysfunctional class affinity?

The last actually intellectual PM was Gordon Brown.
    And before that, I’d controversially nominate Margaret Thatcher.
    The idea that Gordon Brown was an intellectual just shows how good he was at personal branding. I'd place both Blair and Johnson above him on that score.
    You are confusing “intellectual” with “intelligent”

Brown was more intellectual than Blair, though probably less intelligent.
    Our most intellectual PMs were probably Gladstone and Disraeli, Macmillan, Brown and Churchill. Gladstone for one had 20,000 books in his personal library. That does not mean they had the highest IQ though or were most intelligent. Thatcher and Blair, Peel, Salisbury, Baldwin and Lloyd George and Attlee and arguably Wilson and Cameron in terms of decision making on the facts they faced were often very good but they were not great intellectuals
    You are almost utterly, utterly wrong.

There were just four genuine intellectuals who became PM: Brown (whom you noted) Wilson, Balfour and Pitt the Younger (like Sunak, he used to amuse himself by making mathematical equations of soldiers wheeling).

Pitt was brilliant. Wilson was very successful. The others, well...
    Gladstone was more intellectual than all of those, as probably was Macmillan. Wilson was a clever economist, he was not very widely read on the arts.

Pitt the Younger was clever and very hardworking, he didn't spend a great amount of time being a very well read intellectual.

Balfour I may grant you as the extra great intellectual of former PMs
    By that logic, the most intellectual of all our Prime Ministers was Baldwin, who was more widely read even than Gladstone.

I only have to put it that way...
    Baldwin was one of my favourite PMs but only got a 3rd from Cambridge in History whereas Gladstone got a double first from Oxford in Mathematics and Classics
    I had no idea you were that old.
    Still not quite as old as BigG who remembers the Gladstone and Disraeli years as if they were yesterday
    All those years foretelling that Disraeli was a dodgy character, then he went and voted for him anyway.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    My MX Master mouse has broken
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,692

Leon said:

I found another angle. It really is worse than the Walkie Talkie. Much much worse

Walkie Talkie at least as some kind of symmetry to it, and it's not lost in the untidy, unholy mess that comprises today's Square Mile, being situated on Fenchurch Street.
    Ken Livingstone made London safe for property developers.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730

Leon said:

I found another angle. It really is worse than the Walkie Talkie. Much much worse

Walkie Talkie at least as some kind of symmetry to it, and it's not lost in the untidy, unholy mess that comprises today's Square Mile, being situated on Fenchurch Street.
    The square mile is turning into a massive single cluster of steel and glass. Impressive or hideous or maybe both. Also unique

I love the juxtaposition with ancient london. The tower. Tower bridge. St Paul’s. The wren spires

I despair of the banality and blockiness of some of the towers. 22 Bishopsgate is the worst but at least it will soon be hidden by several other towers. They need to get rid of the insanely cautious height restrictions
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,156
    Germany 1
    Ukraine 3

70 mins

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football
  • Options

Always keep a spare mouse. If not, the shops are still open.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,105
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

This is a good thread - though it fails in turn to note that "the commentariat" was hardly unanimous in its (belatedly vanished) enthusiasm for Johnson.
    Seldon, I hope, has the good judgment to blush deeply when he rereads some of the shit he came out with.

I agree with Anthony Seldon about the damage Boris Johnson has done and his unfitness for public office.

I posted this before.

The idea that Gordon Brown was an intellectual just shows how good he was at personal branding. I'd place both Blair and Johnson above him on that score.

Our most intellectual PMs were probably Gladstone and Disraeli, Macmillan, Brown and Churchill. Gladstone for one had 20,000 books in his personal library. That does not mean they had the highest IQ though or were most intelligent. Thatcher and Blair, Peel, Salisbury, Baldwin and Lloyd George and Attlee and arguably Wilson and Cameron in terms of decision making on the facts they faced were often very good but they were not great intellectuals

There were just four genuine intellectuals who became PM: Brown (whom you noted) Wilson, Balfour and Pitt the Younger (like Sunak, he used to amuse himself by making mathematical equations of soldiers wheeling).

Gladstone was more intellectual than all of those, as probably was Macmillan. Wilson was a clever economist, he was not very widely read on the arts.

Pitt the Younger was clever and very hardworking, he didn't spend a great amount of time being a very well read intellectual.

By that logic, the most intellectual of all our Prime Ministers was Baldwin, who was more widely read even than Gladstone.

Baldwin was one of my favourite PMs but only got a 3rd from Cambridge in History whereas Gladstone got a double first from Oxford in Mathematics and Classics
    Arguably had much better chances to begin with compared to the self-educated PMs who came from poverty. One thinks of Ramsay MacDonald - great advocate of self-help ISTR. I'm not so familiar with the others.
  • Options

Always keep a spare mouse. If not, the shops are still open.
    Got a new one coming tomorrow.

I think it did 6 years which is okay
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Bank customers experience problems with online Mastercard payments
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/bank-customers-experience-problems-with-online-mastercard-payments/ar-AA1csfc9

Cashless society advocates, please explain.

Problem has already been fixed.
    In fairness, it's quite hard to make cash payments online.
    But I’m sure the Luddites will miss that point.
    Well it’s not the worst banker story in today’s news. The biggest KYC failure of all time?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/06/12/jp-morgan-settles-case-bank-profited-epstein-abuse/
    JPM to pay $290m to Epstein’s victims.
    Wait until Deutsche Bank have to deal with their Trump issues.
  • Options
    Wilson was an excellent PM and a very smart individual.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,924

Sean_F said:

There’s no argument that Wilson was not an intellectual. He was a Fellow of New College.

He was a Yorkshireman, we’re all intellectuals.
    You missed out we all think after the word Yorkshireman
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,566
    edited June 2023

Sean_F said:

There’s no argument that Wilson was not an intellectual. He was a Fellow of New College.

He was a Yorkshireman, we’re all intellectuals.
    You missed out we all think after the word Yorkshireman
    You're questioning whether Wilson was a Yorkshireman? :wink:

ETA: A nice example of a sentence that can be greatly changed by punctuation:
    He was a Yorkshireman, we all think; we're intellectuals
    He was a Yorkshireman, we all think we're intellectuals
    He was a Yorkshireman; we all think: we're intellectuals
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675
    Leon said:

Good god. Paris has erected two skyscrapers which make the Walkie Talkie look elegant. Possibly as bad as the Big Jobbie in Edinburgh

Wow. It's a visual metaphor for Western civilisation in its terminal diarrhea stage. It's like looking at a latter-day Roman sculpture when they all forgot how to draw.

The sad thing is, as soon as everyone has realised that it's a mistake and needs pulling down, it will be listed.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,727
    Leon said:

So Washington, DC is architecturally superior to Paris, France? Who'd a thunk it?!?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    Andy_JS said:

"Silvio Berlusconi was capable, shrewd and true to his word, says Tony Blair

Tributes from world leaders including ex-prime minister and Vladimir Putin after former Italian premier dies aged 86"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/06/12/silvio-berlusconi-dies-86-former-italian-prime-minister/

He was a piece of shit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Woman jailed for 2 years for inducing an abortion when 32-34 weeks pregnant via abortion pills
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-65882169

How many miscarriages did your so-called "God" cause today?
    Sunil, that is i) rude and ii) not the point
    He believes in God, why not raise it?
    None, God doesn't control the earth directly and hasn't done since the Fall of Adam and Eve.

Humans make their own laws, many derived from the Old Testament and killing a 32-34 year old foetus is defined even by most scientists and doctors as killing a human being
    Don't we normally call them "people" rather than "foetuses" by the time they get to their thirties?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

The square mile is turning into a massive single cluster of steel and glass. Impressive or hideous or maybe both. Also unique

I love the juxtaposition with ancient london. The tower. Tower bridge. St Paul’s. The wren spires

I despair of the banality and blockiness of some of the towers. 22 Bishopsgate is the worst but at least it will soon be hidden by several other towers. They need to get rid of the insanely cautious height restrictions
    You rave about the wretchedness of downtown DC, yet opine about the pile of hideousness that is 99% of City of London?

Mega-chutzpah!
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,832

Wilson was an excellent PM and a very smart individual.

No, no. He was a poor PM, and a bit of duffer as to thinking. (Perhaps a very poor PM)
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2023
    I viviidly remember Private Eye's amusing pieces in the 90's on the constant dodgy free gifts and free rides from Berlusconi to Blair.

"Speaking from his holiday home at the Villa Freebini in Italy, today, the vicar said.."
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395
    edited June 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Tributes from world leaders including ex-prime minister and Vladimir Putin after former Italian premier dies aged 86"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/06/12/silvio-berlusconi-dies-86-former-italian-prime-minister/

He was a piece of shit.
    What about Berlusconi?

Edit: bugger, pipped at the post, literally!
  • Options

Leon said:

So Washington, DC is architecturally superior to Paris, France? Who'd a thunk it?!?
    I’m back in the National Gallery. It really is an insanely good Museum. It is also almost entirely European art. I’d say 30% Italian, 25% French, 10% Dutch, Spanish, German, British. 5% American

If europe ever decides to get all Parthenon marbles on your ass we will strip your museums bare and you will have one painting left, by Edward Hopper. And a couple of old chairs by the Amish or whatever
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395

Leon said:

Good god. Paris has erected two skyscrapers which make the Walkie Talkie look elegant. Possibly as bad as the Big Jobbie in Edinburgh

Wow. It's a visual metaphor for Western civilisation in its terminal diarrhea stage. It's like looking at a latter-day Roman sculpture when they all forgot how to draw.

The sad thing is, as soon as everyone has realised that it's a mistake and needs pulling down, it will be listed.
    It has already listed.
  • Options
    For the record, I was referring to Berlusconi as a piece of shit.

If I'd been referring to Blair's (undeniable) shit-ness, I would have said "He *is* a piece of shit."
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,815
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Woman jailed for 2 years for inducing an abortion when 32-34 weeks pregnant via abortion pills

None, God doesn't control the earth directly and hasn't done since the Fall of Adam and Eve.

Humans make their own laws, many derived from the Old Testament and killing a 32-34 year old foetus is defined even by most scientists and doctors as killing a human being
    Don't think it was *that* late an abortion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxHQJiqYqeM&ab_channel=Laugh_Channel
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,810

Does the west currently have a strategy when it comes to Russian scorched earth tactics? The response to Kakhovka has been muted, at least in public. What deterrent can we offer?

Longer range strike weapons. Apparently Storm Shadow was a response to the targeting of civilian infrastructure.
  • Options
    I mean wtf is this doing in America? An unbelievable treasure of European culture

The chalice of Abbot Suger of St Denis. The cup is Greco-Roman from Alexandria (about 100BC). The setting is from Suger’s time - when he was also conceiving the first Gothic architecture at St Denis, Paris. An unsurpassable wonder. In the Nat Gallery museum basement

GIVE IT BACK

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,387

Leon said:

Leon said:

You rave about the wretchedness of downtown DC, yet opine about the pile of hideousness that is 99% of City of London?

Mega-chutzpah!
    It’s the equivalent of moaning about Wall St/ Lower Manhattan rather than the whole of a (small c) city.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2023

Leon said:

looks like that horrendous london 2012 logo
    Or the head of a giant, damaged robot's penis.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,079
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

He was a piece of shit.
    But as the courtesans of Rome would say “he was our piece of shit”. Spare a thought for those perfumed ladies who are wearing their black crepe thongs in mourning and hurriedly meeting their accountants to discuss their reduced financial prospects.
  • Options

Leon said:

looks like that horrendous london 2012 logo
    The one where Lisa Simpson is on her knees?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m back in the National Gallery. It really is an insanely good Museum. It is also almost entirely European art. I’d say 30% Italian, 25% French, 10% Dutch, Spanish, German, British. 5% American

If europe ever decides to get all Parthenon marbles on your ass we will strip your museums bare and you will have one painting left, by Edward Hopper. And a couple of old chairs by the Amish or whatever
    Believe we also get to keep some old fence logs with folk-art whittling by Honest Abe himself.

Plus the original Teddy Bear and William Howard Taft's infamous bathtub.
  • Options
    boulay said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

He was a piece of shit.
    But as the courtesans of Rome would say “he was our piece of shit”. Spare a thought for those perfumed ladies who are wearing their black crepe thongs in mourning and hurriedly meeting their accountants to discuss their reduced financial prospects.
    I don't believe all the women were willing participants.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,427
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Yes its a long time that God or Christians or the Bible had much influence on laws in this country - witness gay marriage etc
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Leon said:

Looks...broken.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

boulay said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

He was a piece of shit.
    I don't believe all the women were willing participants.
    I would be very surprised too. He was a true scumbag.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I mean wtf is this doing in America? An unbelievable treasure of European culture

The chalice of Abbot Suger of St Denis. The cup is Greco-Roman from Alexandria (about 100BC). The setting is from Suger’s time - when he was also conceiving the first Gothic architecture at St Denis, Paris. An unsurpassable wonder. In the Nat Gallery museum basement

GIVE IT BACK

That, in my view, is not 100BC.
  • Options
    Leon said:

GIVE IT BACK

I was amazed by how much European art is in the various Boston galleries when I visited.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,560
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

I posted this before.

I had no idea you were that old.
    Still not quite as old as BigG who remembers the Gladstone and Disraeli years as if they were yesterday
    And as for the great @JackW , the Walpole years seem like yesterday.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927
    Evening all :)

Tonight's Redfield & Wilton is rather spoiled by a London sub sample showing the Conservatives on 35% and both Labour and the LDs on 29%. With that, Labour has 45% in England, the Conservatives 31.5% and the LDs on 13%.

You might think Deltapoll is better - it isn't - its London sample is Conservative 43%, Labour 33%, LD 18%.

Both make the Conservative position better than I suspect it really is.

It looks as though the LDs will campaign hard in Mid Bedfordshire and Labour strongest in Uxbridge & South Ruislip. As for Selby & Ainsty, some observations - in the 2022 North Yorkshire County Council elections (the body which took over the running of Selby and Harrogate Councils among others this year), Labour won seats in Selby Town, the Independents did well in Tadcaster leaving the Conservatives to dominate the Selby rural divisions but in the Harrogate rural divisions which form part of the Selby & Ainsty Constituency (Ouseburn and Spofforth), the Greens did very well.

The questions are whether the Greens can make any impression in the rural Selby seats - can Labour break out of its Selby strongholds and where will the Independents go?

• Options
    The Duke of York is said to be insisting on remaining at his home while building works are carried out because he is concerned about being permanently evicted.

The duke’s refusal to vacate Royal Lodge while builders repair the roof of his Windsor home comes as he and his brother, the King, remain locked in disagreement over his occupation of the house.

Charles wants Andrew to move out of Royal Lodge as part of his plans to slim down the monarchy. Charles is cutting the duke’s £249,000 annual allowance from the Duchy of Lancaster, which has led Andrew to fear that he will no longer be able to afford the upkeep of the 30-bedroom grade II listed property, which he shares with his ex-wife, Sarah.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prince-andrew-royal-lodge-staying-renovations-eviction-fears-j3hsdpppv
  • Options
  • Options
    If it was a witch hunt, it would end with somebody being burned at the stake, no?

I don't think that would happen. The public order implications as everyone rushed to point and laugh would be formidable.
  • Options

The Duke of York is said to be insisting on remaining at his home while building works are carried out because he is concerned about being permanently evicted.

The duke’s refusal to vacate Royal Lodge while builders repair the roof of his Windsor home comes as he and his brother, the King, remain locked in disagreement over his occupation of the house.

Charles wants Andrew to move out of Royal Lodge as part of his plans to slim down the monarchy. Charles is cutting the duke’s £249,000 annual allowance from the Duchy of Lancaster, which has led Andrew to fear that he will no longer be able to afford the upkeep of the 30-bedroom grade II listed property, which he shares with his ex-wife, Sarah.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prince-andrew-royal-lodge-staying-renovations-eviction-fears-j3hsdpppv

It's pretty predictable that he's fallen for this.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    Is Nadine Dorres still a MP? She does not appear to have been appointed to Northstead or the Chilterns? I would have thought she would have been ahead in the before Boris and Nigel?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Berlusconi is still leader of Forza Italia according to Wikipedia, [both the Italian and English versions].

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forza_Italia_(1994)
  • Options

He'll be slated for this.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    Andy_JS said:

Berlusconi is still leader of Forza Italia according to Wikipedia, [both the Italian and English versions].

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forza_Italia_(1994)

Weekend at Ber’ni’s.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

GIVE IT BACK

I was amazed by how much European art is in the various Boston galleries when I visited.
    Ditto the Met, in New York.
    Astonishing riches.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,622
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

So what's the point of "worshipping" Him, then?

Either He CAUSES miscarriages, meaning He's a cruel scumbag

OR

He is unable or unwilling to PREVENT miscarriages, meaning He's a cruel scumbag.

Either way, what's the point of "worshipping" Him?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

He is unable or unwilling to PREVENT miscarriages, meaning He's a cruel scumbag.

such a simplistic anti- God view that
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

GIVE IT BACK

The sardonyx cup is 100BC. The setting is 1100AD
  • Options

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

Didn't God grant free will to human beings, meaning they can make wrong as well as right decisions? (Not that I believe in him myself).
  • Options

HRH certain NOT only Brit and/or earthling, to have problems of this nature dealing with dead-beat, no-account relatives.

Makes KCIII seem slightly more human somehow. His logical next move - bring Judge Judy to London!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If the builders need advice about gutters at least the tennant has the knowledge required from spending decades in one.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

Not at all.

I would recommend you read Dark Sceptre by Michael Dibdin.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,601
    @rcs1000 - Has @Anabobazina fallen foul of the spam trap again for posting his "LOL" messages over many lines?

Are you intending to leave him in the sin bin much longer?

The poor wain is concerned that he's been banned for an unknown offence, but I assume he wouldn't be able to send me messages if he'd actually been banned.
  • Options
    boulay said:

ydoethur said:

If the builders need advice about gutters at least the tennant has the knowledge required from spending decades in one.
    They might ask for his help.

After all, he'd not sweat over it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

GIVE IT BACK

The hyperbole, 100% @Leon
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

GIVE IT BACK

In your view as an antiquarian, art historian OR active alcoholic?
  • Options
    edited June 2023

@rcs1000 - Has @Anabobazina fallen foul of the spam trap again for posting his "LOL" messages over many lines?

The poor wain is concerned that he's been banned for an unknown offence, but I assume he wouldn't be able to send me messages if he'd actually been banned.

Perhaps there's a payment that needs to be made, but it has to be made in cash...

Edit - good to see you can still read and respond Anabobazina. Hope you can get out of the spam trap soon.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

I'm impressed how God likes to modernise. He's gone from being an old white beardybloke with violent, homophobic and sexist tendencies who liked a bit of destruction and plagues and shit, to modern God who could be trans, let's the gays get married, let's women become vicars and is now hands off with getting involved in the day to day running of his Manor. At this rate, he'll probably just evolve into AI God....hang on, maybe that's it?
  • Options
    Do we really need the religious argument?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    edited June 2023
    ydoethur said:

He felt he could stay but clearly didn't pitch his argument well enough, so Charles plans to eaves him out.

Though I am not sure renewing Andrew's flashing is such a good idea.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!
    London is full of exquisite buildings. And vistas. And palaces. And all that. And history

There are some utter eyesores in the modernist City but even there you’ve got the gherkin, the Lloyds building, the cheese grater. It’s a jumble. That’s london. Superb next to shite, ancient next to new. Roman walls stare at the Shard. The Norman tower looks at Victorian Borough

Central DC is just a soullless stretch of architectural dreck and vain glory without - as far as I can see - a single noble building

I’m sure Georgetown is all very pretty and faux-Highgate. Like old Boston
  • Options

Do we really need the religious argument?

Nah

It’s just a contradiction, not an argument
  • Options
    Who said the following about immigrants...

"If you suddenly find your neighbours have changed, and you suddenly find that the food in the shops is different, and you suddenly find that the faces in the schools are different that creates fear."

Nick Griffin?

Tommy Robinson?

Enoch Powell?

Margaret "you're a fookin racist" Hodge?
  • Options
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 42% (-1)
    CON: 31% (+2)
    LDEM: 12% (-1)

via
    @DeltapollUK
    , 09 - 12 Jun
  • Options

"If you suddenly find your neighbours have changed, and you suddenly find that the food in the shops is different, and you suddenly find that the faces in the schools are different that creates fear."

Nick Griffin?

Tommy Robinson?

Enoch Powell?

She was talking about the BNP entering Barking.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,105
    Facing consequences for your actions became witch-hunting some time ago. See also quoting someone directly as being smearing them.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,233
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!
    London is full of exquisite buildings. And vistas. And palaces. And all that. And history

There are some utter eyesores in the modernist City but even there you’ve got the gherkin, the Lloyds building, the cheese grater. It’s a jumble. That’s london. Superb next to shite, ancient next to new. Roman walls stare at the Shard. The Norman tower looks at Victorian Borough

Central DC is just a soullless stretch of architectural dreck and vain glory without - as far as I can see - a single noble building

Spot on.

DC is one of the dreariest, dullest cities I have visited. The museums are decent but the downtown itself is unrelentingly mundane.

I haven’t visited Georgetown, and I have heard good things. So I’ll reserve judgement there.

But, I preferred the suburb of Alexandria to city centre DC. Boring.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!

Spot on.

DC is one of the dreariest, dullest cities I have visited. The museums are decent but the downtown itself is unrelentingly mundane.

I haven’t visited Georgetown, and I have heard good things. So I’ll reserve judgement there.

But, I preferred the suburb of Alexandria to city centre DC. Boring.
    Welcome back!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Allow him back if he pays a £10 fine...in cash.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!

Looking down from the Sky Garden in the Walkie-Talkie to the White Tower below is to take a view across a thousand years.

(Ok, 940 years, but hey...)

PS ...and the Sky Garden view is one of the few not blighted by the Walkie-Talkie!
  • Options
    Thanks to @LostPassword @viewcode and all for getting me released from that weird purgatory.

Not sure what happened there.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    People can make fun all they like of God and people who have faith in him but sat at a cafe today in Scarborough , what must have been a ninety year old lady in a wheelchair and obviously struggling to function fully in normal life anymore and her 60 odd year carer were joyfully telling a couple they met in the cafe that they prayed together last night for some thing or other I could not catch the detail of . God brings comfort to those who want it - you dont have to be high church to get comfort from God
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!

Georgetown is seriously overrated in my book. Which ain't your book, but just sayin'

Expecting America cities to be like European cities, means setting yourself up for disappointment 99.46% of the time.

But then you do have bent (& kink) for S&M/B&D?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,105
    edited June 2023
    Sinister stuff this - will anyone stop this maniac from putting his face next to a flag? I feel oppressed just looking at it.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,622
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!

A different perspective on London (taken by yours truly on Friday):

• Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!

Georgetown is seriously overrated in my book. Which ain't your book, but just sayin'

Expecting America cities to be like European cities, means setting yourself up for disappointment 99.46% of the time.

confused - do BDSM people expect american cities to be like european ones? What a sheltered life I have lead
  • Options

Thanks to @LostPassword @viewcode and all for getting me released from that weird purgatory.

Not sure what happened there.

we were praying for you
  • Options

Nick Griffin?

Tommy Robinson?

Enoch Powell?

Making their point for them by agreeing with exactly what they would argue.

"Immigration creates fear" only in the minds of racist tossers like Griffin Robinson et al

Mind you in the SKS hierarchy of racism Party its perfectly acceptable
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

Not at all.

I would recommend you read Dark Sceptre by Michael Dibdin.
    Dark Spectre.

And yes, it is a great book.

Dibdin is one of those seriously underrated writers.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!

Looking down from the Sky Garden in the Walkie-Talkie to the White Tower below is to take a view across a thousand years.

PS ...and the Sky Garden view is one of the few not blighted by the Walkie-Talkie!
    reminds me of that grumpy quote that the best view in Paris is from the Eiffel Tower as you cannot see it from there
  • Options

Nick Griffin?

Tommy Robinson?

Enoch Powell?

Everyone feels fear. That’s entirely normal. Fear of the different is very, very common. Character is what you do with it.

PB is full of university educated people who have learned to love difference.

Many people, on the other hand, want their lives to run on tram lines. Change is hard for them. Hilariously, my wife, a first generation immigrant, rails against change…

Character comes from taking that moment of fear of the unknown and doing something positive with it.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

GIVE IT BACK

The hyperbole, 100% @Leon
    And the winner of the Sardonic Cup is....
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!

confused - do BDSM people expect american cities to be like european ones? What a sheltered life I have lead
    You ARE confused, illogically-speaking.

What I mean, is that Leon is intensely enjoying his total disappointment.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    What's better - the PS5 or the Xbox Series X?
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!

You ARE confused, illogically-speaking.

What I mean, is that Leon is intensely enjoying his total disappointment.
    oh i see! Here's me thinking in those Soho dungeons they have pictures of Rome and Prague but name then Las Vegas and Miami just to get kinky
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Facing consequences for your actions became witch-hunting some time ago. See also quoting someone directly as being smearing them.
    It’s been an irregular verb since before Caesar.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!

reminds me of that grumpy quote that the best view in Paris is from the Eiffel Tower as you cannot see it from there
    ...whereas the best view is from the very grim Montparnasse Tower, because you can see the Eiffel Tower.

(And it's wheelchair accessible, unlike the Eiffel Tower, just saying.)
  • Options

Nick Griffin?

Tommy Robinson?

Enoch Powell?

This is what she said about the BNP entering Barking

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1668200903260749825/photo/1
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

As if you trust in Christ or die very young and innocent you get eternal life with him
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    stodge said:

Tonight's Redfield & Wilton is rather spoiled by a London sub sample showing the Conservatives on 35% and both Labour and the LDs on 29%. With that, Labour has 45% in England, the Conservatives 31.5% and the LDs on 13%.

You might think Deltapoll is better - it isn't - its London sample is Conservative 43%, Labour 33%, LD 18%.

It looks as though the LDs will campaign hard in Mid Bedfordshire and Labour strongest in Uxbridge & South Ruislip. As for Selby & Ainsty, some observations - in the 2022 North Yorkshire County Council elections (the body which took over the running of Selby and Harrogate Councils among others this year), Labour won seats in Selby Town, the Independents did well in Tadcaster leaving the Conservatives to dominate the Selby rural divisions but in the Harrogate rural divisions which form part of the Selby & Ainsty Constituency (Ouseburn and Spofforth), the Greens did very well.

The questions are whether the Greens can make any impression in the rural Selby seats - can Labour break out of its Selby strongholds and where will the Independents go?

If those subsamples are true a Tory hold in Uxbridge looks an excellent bet
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

As if you trust in Christ or die very young and innocent you get eternal life with him
    I thought the whole point of original sin is that nobody is "innocent".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

So, you're saying that if I smother a baby, I'm doing it a favour?
  • Options
    I really liked Annapolis. Years since I went but remember the Chart House being a GREAT restaurant. Loved the whole town, and the naval, maritime Americana.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

If those subsamples are true a Tory hold in Uxbridge looks an excellent bet
    And if my aunt had bollocks etc.
This discussion has been closed.