Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Let’s not forget BoJo’s ratings as PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,218
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Woman jailed for 2 years for inducing an abortion when 32-34 weeks pregnant via abortion pills
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-65882169

How many miscarriages did your so-called "God" cause today?
    Sunil, that is i) rude and ii) not the point
    He believes in God, why not raise it?
    None, God doesn't control the earth directly and hasn't done since the Fall of Adam and Eve.

So what's the point of "worshipping" Him, then?

Either He CAUSES miscarriages, meaning He's a cruel scumbag

OR

He is unable or unwilling to PREVENT miscarriages, meaning He's a cruel scumbag.

Either way, what's the point of "worshipping" Him?
    As if you trust in Christ or die very young and innocent you get eternal life with him
    I thought the whole point of original sin is that nobody is "innocent".
    And nobody who is capable of conscious thought and truly trusts in Christ is denied eternal life as he died for all our sins
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,138

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 42% (-1)
    CON: 31% (+2)
    LDEM: 12% (-1)

via
    @DeltapollUK
    , 09 - 12 Jun

The Tories won't be too unhappy with figures like this with perhaps 18 months to go before an election.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,921
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

Tonight's Redfield & Wilton is rather spoiled by a London sub sample showing the Conservatives on 35% and both Labour and the LDs on 29%. With that, Labour has 45% in England, the Conservatives 31.5% and the LDs on 13%.

You might think Deltapoll is better - it isn't - its London sample is Conservative 43%, Labour 33%, LD 18%.

Both make the Conservative position better than I suspect it really is.

It looks as though the LDs will campaign hard in Mid Bedfordshire and Labour strongest in Uxbridge & South Ruislip. As for Selby & Ainsty, some observations - in the 2022 North Yorkshire County Council elections (the body which took over the running of Selby and Harrogate Councils among others this year), Labour won seats in Selby Town, the Independents did well in Tadcaster leaving the Conservatives to dominate the Selby rural divisions but in the Harrogate rural divisions which form part of the Selby & Ainsty Constituency (Ouseburn and Spofforth), the Greens did very well.

The questions are whether the Greens can make any impression in the rural Selby seats - can Labour break out of its Selby strongholds and where will the Independents go?

If those subsamples are true a Tory hold in Uxbridge looks an excellent bet
    OTOH the Deltapoll sub sample for Scotland has the Conservatives at 6% - not so helpful.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Woman jailed for 2 years for inducing an abortion when 32-34 weeks pregnant via abortion pills

None, God doesn't control the earth directly and hasn't done since the Fall of Adam and Eve.

OR

He is unable or unwilling to PREVENT miscarriages, meaning He's a cruel scumbag.

As if you trust in Christ or die very young and innocent you get eternal life with him
    And nobody who truly trusts in Christ is denied eternal life as he died for all our sins
    Not sure what relevance that has to my response, but ok.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

I get the praying for comfort, but eternal life? What happens to that aborted foetus? Eternal prenatal bliss?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I found another angle. It really is worse than the Walkie Talkie. Much much worse

Walkie Talkie at least as some kind of symmetry to it, and it's not lost in the untidy, unholy mess that comprises today's Square Mile, being situated on Fenchurch Street.
    The square mile is turning into a massive single cluster of steel and glass. Impressive or hideous or maybe both. Also unique

I love the juxtaposition with ancient london. The tower. Tower bridge. St Paul’s. The wren spires

I despair of the banality and blockiness of some of the towers. 22 Bishopsgate is the worst but at least it will soon be hidden by several other towers. They need to get rid of the insanely cautious height restrictions
    You rave about the wretchedness of downtown DC, yet opine about the pile of hideousness that is 99% of City of London?

Mega-chutzpah!
    London is full of exquisite buildings. And vistas. And palaces. And all that. And history

There are some utter eyesores in the modernist City but even there you’ve got the gherkin, the Lloyds building, the cheese grater. It’s a jumble. That’s london. Superb next to shite, ancient next to new. Roman walls stare at the Shard. The Norman tower looks at Victorian Borough

Central DC is just a soullless stretch of architectural dreck and vain glory without - as far as I can see - a single noble building

I’m sure Georgetown is all very pretty and faux-Highgate. Like old Boston
    Georgetown is seriously overrated in my book. Which ain't your book, but just sayin'

Expecting America cities to be like European cities, means setting yourself up for disappointment 99.46% of the time.

But then you do have bent (& kink) for S&M/B&D?
    I love some American cities. New York is very often magnificent. Chicago is a modernist gem. New Orleans is great fun. San Francisco has a glorious location. And some lovely districts

Santa Fe. Taos. Savannah

America is vast and contains the good the bad and the ugly. There is lots of good
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

And nobody who truly trusts in Christ is denied eternal life as he died for all our sins
    Everything, the entire point of Christianity if you actually knew anything about it
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

So, you're saying that if I smother a baby, I'm doing it a favour?
    No, as the Old Testament 10 commandments make clear you must not kill
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725
    One more great thing about America. Valet parking
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,371
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I found another angle. It really is worse than the Walkie Talkie. Much much worse

Walkie Talkie at least as some kind of symmetry to it, and it's not lost in the untidy, unholy mess that comprises today's Square Mile, being situated on Fenchurch Street.
    The square mile is turning into a massive single cluster of steel and glass. Impressive or hideous or maybe both. Also unique

I love the juxtaposition with ancient london. The tower. Tower bridge. St Paul’s. The wren spires

I despair of the banality and blockiness of some of the towers. 22 Bishopsgate is the worst but at least it will soon be hidden by several other towers. They need to get rid of the insanely cautious height restrictions
    You rave about the wretchedness of downtown DC, yet opine about the pile of hideousness that is 99% of City of London?

Mega-chutzpah!
    London is full of exquisite buildings. And vistas. And palaces. And all that. And history

There are some utter eyesores in the modernist City but even there you’ve got the gherkin, the Lloyds building, the cheese grater. It’s a jumble. That’s london. Superb next to shite, ancient next to new. Roman walls stare at the Shard. The Norman tower looks at Victorian Borough

Central DC is just a soullless stretch of architectural dreck and vain glory without - as far as I can see - a single noble building

Georgetown is seriously overrated in my book. Which ain't your book, but just sayin'

Expecting America cities to be like European cities, means setting yourself up for disappointment 99.46% of the time.

I love some American cities. New York is very often magnificent. Chicago is a modernist gem. New Orleans is great fun. San Francisco has a glorious location. And some lovely districts

Santa Fe. Taos. Savannah

America is vast and contains the good the bad and the ugly. There is lots of good
    Gary, Indiana is my favourite city
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

Everything, the entire point of Christianity if you actually knew anything about it
    You said that if you die "very young and innocent" you get eternal life. I questioned that by referencing original sin. You responded with an irrelevant sentence about "trusting in Christ".

A typical conversation with you to be honest - a total waste of time.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

I get the praying for comfort, but eternal life? What happens to that aborted foetus? Eternal prenatal bliss?
    Eternal life with Christ in heaven, yes
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,879

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!

Looking down from the Sky Garden in the Walkie-Talkie to the White Tower below is to take a view across a thousand years.

(Ok, 940 years, but hey...)

PS ...and the Sky Garden view is one of the few not blighted by the Walkie-Talkie!
    reminds me of that grumpy quote that the best view in Paris is from the Eiffel Tower as you cannot see it from there
    No, that is the Montparnasse tower in Paris.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

via
    @DeltapollUK
    , 09 - 12 Jun

The Tories won't be too unhappy with figures like this with perhaps 18 months to go before an election.
    If you believe, as per Deltapoll, the Conservatives are 10 points ahead in London, there are plenty of bridges out there people will sell you.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

So, you're saying that if I smother a baby, I'm doing it a favour?
    No, as the Old Testament 10 commandments make clear you must not kill
    Good thing too, else I'd be out there murdering right now.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

You said that if you die "very young and innocent" you get eternal life. I questioned that by referencing original sin. You responded with an irrelevant sentence about "trusting in Christ".

No, you ignored my response as it did not suit your ideological secular agenda.

As I said we all have some sins but Christ died to save all of us who truly trusted in him
  • Options
    Leon said:

One more great thing about America. Valet parking

That they have a lot of it, or that they are great at it?
  • Options
    Are you pleased or disappointed that Boris Johnson has resigned as an MP?

All Britons
    Pleased: 48%
    Indifferent: 26%
    Disappointed: 19%

Tory voters
    Pleased: 25%
    Indifferent: 32%
    Disappointed: 40%
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1668262796209815555?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

No, you ignored my response as it did not suit your ideological secular agenda.

As I said we all have some sins but Christ died to save all of us who truly trusted in him
    So do newborns trust in Christ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Are you pleased or disappointed that Boris Johnson has resigned as an MP?

All Britons
    Pleased: 48%
    Indifferent: 26%
    Disappointed: 19%

Tory voters
    Pleased: 25%
    Indifferent: 32%
    Disappointed: 40%
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1668262796209815555?s=20

That must mean a very low percentage for 'incandescent with fury' that Boris and his acolytes seem to think Tory voters are feeling.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!

Santa Fe. Taos. Savannah

Fair enough, but please stop calling me Gary.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,371
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

What, you mean, forever?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

But, what happens if you don't know anything about it, or don't believe, or are of a different religion? Will God let me in? I've genuinely, throughout my life,took no interest in religion. I was the kid looking around morning school assembly while most others were praying. The only lessons I ever skipped or did zero homework for was RE. What if I believed in "a" God, but not "the" God? If he's as hands off nowadays as you say, maybe he'll let his standards slip, let me sneak in?
  • Options
    Significant.

"Rishi Sunak would block Boris Johnson comeback as Tory MP, sources say"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jun/12/rishi-sunak-would-block-boris-johnson-comeback-as-tory-mp-sources-say
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,221
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Tonight's Redfield & Wilton is rather spoiled by a London sub sample showing the Conservatives on 35% and both Labour and the LDs on 29%. With that, Labour has 45% in England, the Conservatives 31.5% and the LDs on 13%.

You might think Deltapoll is better - it isn't - its London sample is Conservative 43%, Labour 33%, LD 18%.

It looks as though the LDs will campaign hard in Mid Bedfordshire and Labour strongest in Uxbridge & South Ruislip. As for Selby & Ainsty, some observations - in the 2022 North Yorkshire County Council elections (the body which took over the running of Selby and Harrogate Councils among others this year), Labour won seats in Selby Town, the Independents did well in Tadcaster leaving the Conservatives to dominate the Selby rural divisions but in the Harrogate rural divisions which form part of the Selby & Ainsty Constituency (Ouseburn and Spofforth), the Greens did very well.

The questions are whether the Greens can make any impression in the rural Selby seats - can Labour break out of its Selby strongholds and where will the Independents go?

OTOH the Deltapoll sub sample for Scotland has the Conservatives at 6% - not so helpful.
    You seem weirdly preoccupied with subsamples. They are not weighted so entirely meaningless. It beggars belief that you can base entire posts on a bunch of random numbers.
  • Options
    I'm quite busy just now. When you guys have worked out whether God is (a) the light and path to eternal life; or (b) a total sh1t, could you drop me a line and let me know the outcome? It'd be handy to know.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,049
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Tories unlikely to win Rutherglen.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

Workarounds had to be invented to deal with rather awkward quetions.

Wikipedia, every trustworthy of course, is an eye opener. Says there the belief, though based on the bible, only began to emerge in the 3rd century, ie quite some time after Christ.

Tremendous bit of salesmanship though, if you are tainted by being born and thus need 'saving'.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,187
    edited June 2023

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,010
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

Will the aborted foetus be able to talk? What will it do for all eternity - which is a long time? I'm genuinely curious.
  • Options
    The impact of sub samples:

If, instead of R&W's London numbers of Con 35%, Lab 29%, LD 29%, we used the result of the last YouGov London poll (Lab 58, Con 18, LD 9) that would change the national top line numbers as follows:

Labour 48% (+4), Conservative 27% (-3), Liberal Democrat 10% (-3)

That, I would argue, is closer to where we really are rather than the actual numbers which are heavily distorted by incredible (such as stretching credibility) London sub samples.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,187

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

And if my aunt had bollocks etc.
    She'd be your dad's cister?

• Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803

Who said the following about immigrants...

"If you suddenly find your neighbours have changed, and you suddenly find that the food in the shops is different, and you suddenly find that the faces in the schools are different that creates fear."

Nick Griffin?

Tommy Robinson?

Enoch Powell?

Margaret "you're a fookin racist" Hodge?

She was talking about the BNP entering Barking.
    Everyone feels fear. That’s entirely normal. Fear of the different is very, very common. Character is what you do with it.

PB is full of university educated people who have learned to love difference.

Many people, on the other hand, want their lives to run on tram lines. Change is hard for them. Hilariously, my wife, a first generation immigrant, rails against change…

Character comes from taking that moment of fear of the unknown and doing something positive with it.

I've worked in several large organisations when we have heard something very similar to the above, at the point when the organisation are getting in highly paid consultants to initiate restructures that mean people will lose their jobs and others will have to do twice as much work. You are basically getting totally screwed over but it is dressed up as 'change' that you have to 'embrace'.

The smart thing to do in this situation is embrace the change by getting a different job.
  • Options
    stodge said:

If, instead of R&W's London numbers of Con 35%, Lab 29%, LD 29%, we used the result of the last YouGov London poll (Lab 58, Con 18, LD 9) that would change the national top line numbers as follows:

That, I would argue, is closer to where we really are rather than the actual numbers which are heavily distorted by incredible (such as stretching credibility) London sub samples.

Do you know how sub-samples work?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070

Does the west currently have a strategy when it comes to Russian scorched earth tactics? The response to Kakhovka has been muted, at least in public. What deterrent can we offer?

Longer range strike weapons. Apparently Storm Shadow was a response to the targeting of civilian infrastructure.
    True but they've been targeting civilian infrastructure since day 1. The trouble is that if they know they are losing the incentive will be to simply do as much damage to Ukraine as possible.

Reading some comments by Russian citizens on meduza it appears they fear Russia losing the war because the consequences for them would be devastating. Perhaps they have the Versailles settlement in mind? I don't see it like that. Ukraine is a much smaller country than Russia. Russia won't be bankrupted by reparations. If they were to withdraw their forces we could look at unfreezing Russian central bank assets in return for a certain proportion (50%) going to Ukraine. We could also agree to start buying Russian gas again on the basis that a certain percentage fee goes to Ukraine. Russia would benefit economically from both of these since they get nothing at the moment.

The message needs to sink in that continuing the war will be more costly than giving up. That why we really need the sanctions to start biting.
  • Options
    "Jack Dorsey: why I’m backing Robert F Kennedy Jr.

The Twitter founder said that he was drawn to the Democrat's anti-war position"

https://unherd.com/thepost/jack-dorsey-why-im-backing-robert-f-kennedy-jr/
  • Options
    darkage said:

"If you suddenly find your neighbours have changed, and you suddenly find that the food in the shops is different, and you suddenly find that the faces in the schools are different that creates fear."

Nick Griffin?

Tommy Robinson?

Enoch Powell?

Everyone feels fear. That’s entirely normal. Fear of the different is very, very common. Character is what you do with it.

Many people, on the other hand, want their lives to run on tram lines. Change is hard for them. Hilariously, my wife, a first generation immigrant, rails against change…

Character comes from taking that moment of fear of the unknown and doing something positive with it.

I've worked in several large organisations when we have heard something very similar to the above, at the point when the organisation are getting in highly paid consultants to initiate restructures that mean people will lose their jobs and others will have to do twice as much work. You are basically getting totally screwed over but it is dressed up as 'change' that you have to 'embrace'.

The smart thing to do in this situation is embrace the change by getting a different job.
    If someone starts out by going 'we need to get someone in to shake things up' they've probably already failed.

Sure, you might need to shake things up even against some resistance, but if you've pre-decided shaking things up is inherently a good thing you're going to see any disruption as proof it is working.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

He sounds a little desperate to prove how much influence he personally might wield by making RFK more a thing than he is, keen to create a contender where one is not to be found. I mean look at this nonsense.

Since tweeting his endorsement of Kennedy two weeks ago, Dorsey has become increasingly vocal in his support. He has used his platform on Twitter, which has 6.5 million followers, to advocate for the candidate, even calling the Democrat’s raspy voice a “superpower
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Anti war?

You mean, pro Russian invasion of Ukraine.

What, just saying you like peace (something everyone else hates of course) even if your policies would reward warmongers is not anti-war?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

He sounds a little desperate to prove how much influence he personally might wield by making RFK more a thing than he is, keen to create a contender where one is not to be found. I mean look at this nonsense.

Since tweeting his endorsement of Kennedy two weeks ago, Dorsey has become increasingly vocal in his support. He has used his platform on Twitter, which has 6.5 million followers, to advocate for the candidate, even calling the Democrat’s raspy voice a “superpower
    Effing nepo-babies!
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,989
    darkage said:

Nick Griffin?

Tommy Robinson?

Enoch Powell?

We have a new 'Director of X' who is 'shaking things up'. This seems to largely involve taking no input from anyone and coming up with some 'blue sky' ideas (I suspect copied from previous failed 'shake ups' judging by their linkedin profile and the trail of disasters it points to).

It's all going marvellously. As you'd expect.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

Do you?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,275
    @BloombergUK
    now
    For veteran ESG investor James Penny the current exuberance surrounding AI is reminiscent of the early days of the tech bubble that burst in 2000
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

OR

Why would you want eternal life with God?

This is a good and catchy song that sums it up well, God is a freak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWmO2InWDTY

Freak
    Freak
    Freak
    I heard my dad pray over a football game
    Guess God had time that day
    Is there a shortlist order of importance
    Or is it just luck based?

Listen, I'm just confused
    With the work that he's doing
    And I mean this respectfully

God is a bit of a freak
    Why's he watching me getting railed on the couch
    Staying pure for a wedding?
    He's got fucked up priorities

God is a bit of a freak
    Like, what's the fixation
    On hating the way he creates?
    So why would I spend my eternity
    With God when he's a freak?

God is a bit of a freak

Under the covers
    Watching some cheerleaders
    I'm his biggest concern
    Don't worry 'bout it
    Kids that've sinned get sick
    Enjoy your red carpet

Listen, I'm just confused
    With the work that he's doing
    And I mean this respectfully

God is a bit of a freak

God is a bit of a freak

God is a bit of a freak

And the church choir's in session
    Hello God, here's my confession
    Sorry, I'm not quite anointed
    Weird, you're acting like my boyfriend

Freak
    Why is he watching me getting railed on the couch

God is a bit of a freak
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,989
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!

Just brought to mind an interview with Armando Iannucci I read after filming 'In the Loop'. He wanted to get an idea of what it was like inside the central US government buildings so just swanned through reception holding up a passport and saying "I'm here for the 10 O'Clock". :click: and he's let through.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

Clearly he doesn’t.
  • Options
    stodge said:

They.

Are.

Not.

Weighted.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,716
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Actually met RFK, Jr. back in the 1990s, when he came to Seattle to speak at a fundraiser for Puget Soundkeepers, a local enviromental organization monitoring water quality in - you guessed it! - Puget Sound.

Kennedy was active (back them anyway) with similar group working to clean up the Hudson River, with some success. He spoke for about twenty minutes, mostly about some basics about situation with the Hudson, heavily laced with some pretty standard gags-for-speakers that nevertheless were well received, as was RFK, Jr. himself.

This was at least a decade before he started going off the deep end, in public anyway. Even then he had a slightly haunted expression, which gave him a slight touch of his father's charisma.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,812
    kle4 said:

Sinister stuff this - will anyone stop this maniac from putting his face next to a flag? I feel oppressed just looking at it.

The real issue is his plan.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

via
    @DeltapollUK
    , 09 - 12 Jun

There's a heck of a range between a c.10% lead and a c.30% lead.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,976
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!

Santa Fe. Taos. Savannah

Perhaps you need to travel more widely.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Anti war?

His price on Betfair is inexplicable.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sinister stuff this - will anyone stop this maniac from putting his face next to a flag? I feel oppressed just looking at it.

Is it? Has he even got one?

It would make a change to have an actual plan instead of vapid, generic platitudes.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,456
    Good evening

So after quite a long day we have finally checked into our hotel in Douglas after a smooth crossing from Liverpool

While waiting to drive onto the ferry it disgorged so many motorcyclists 2 and 3 abreast, it lasted three quarters of an hour

Of course the TT finished on Saturday but we were not prepared for motorcycle mania and a similar number were waiting to board when we arrived in Douglas

As I understand it the malign and dreadful Johnson, not only resigned his seat, but decided to take on Sunak who spoke out for the nation and hopefully is now prepared to take on him and his sycophants and win

The hotel is currently featuring the Trump saga and again he needs to be consigned to the dustbin of history

Then we have the Surgeon debacle with the SNP refusing to suspend her in the weight of public opinion

What a time to be alive and how low can politics go
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Anti war?

Kennedy is way better brand name these days than, say, Bush or Clinton. OR even Ye!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!

Santa Fe. Taos. Savannah

Perhaps you need to travel more widely.
    Yes! Head west, young man . . . to East Chicago!

Or for even longer, and stranger, trip, to East St Louis.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Anti war?

Kennedy is way better brand name these days than, say, Bush or Clinton. OR even Ye!
    No, its not. It was a legacy name, but he's trashed it with his anti-vax, total-loon, pro-Russia extremism.

He's the Democrat's answer to Donald Trump.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Anti war?

No, its not. It was a legacy name, but he's trashed it with his anti-vax, total-loon, pro-Russia extremism.

He's the Democrat's answer to Donald Trump.
    You are forgetting recent enthusiasm in some circles for ticket of Donald Trump and John F Kennedy, Jr.

Didn't say Kennedy brand was much good anymore. But most definitely BETTER than Bush, Clinton and/or Ye.

Admittedly an EXTRAORDINARILY low bar.

ADDENDUM - and calling RFK, Jr. "the Democrat's answer to Donald Trump" is overrating the former by a magnitude of about a light year (if that's mathematically possible).

Politically and electorally a flying squirrel, not 60-ton gorilla.
  • Options
    Maybe I'm confusing things, but I thought Robert F Kennedy was anti-vax and Jack Dorsey was head of Twitter when people expressing such opinions were being kicked off the platform? Apologies if I've got that wrong.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

stodge said:

They.

Are.

Not.

Weighted.
    Exactly. I thought we'd explained this about 10 years ago on PB, and about a million times since.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618
    HYUFD said:

I think you're in for a long wait!

• Options

kle4 said:

It would make a change to have an actual plan instead of vapid, generic platitudes.
    What he has announced is old school Labour.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Maybe I'm confusing things, but I thought Robert F Kennedy was anti-vax and Jack Dorsey was head of Twitter when people expressing such opinions were being kicked off the platform? Apologies if I've got that wrong.

No apologies necessary, except for being too damned logical for politics.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229

HYUFD said:

Eternity, surely.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Anti war?

He's not even the 'if the lead candidate is hit by a bus' backup candidate.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,804

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

And if my aunt had bollocks etc.
    She could still call herself your Auntie?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,912
    Last 10 Polls

LAB 44,42,41,47,42,43.44,44,46,44 Ave 43.7
    CON 30,31,29,27,29,29,30,30,25,27 Ave 28.7

Lead 15 points

Can SKS blow it from here?
  • Options

via
    @DeltapollUK
    , 09 - 12 Jun

It's an outlier :lol:
  • Options

Last 10 Polls

Lead 15 points

What lead did Theresa May have at the start of the 2017 campaign? Can't remember.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,023
    Amid all the doom and cost-of-living gloom, you can still have pretty cheap holidays in the UK. Two of us cycling Hadrian's Wall this weekend:

Trains (including bikes from Edinburgh) £45
    Accommodation (three nights, guest house, private room in a hostel, hotel) £230

I know it's a PB meme to love Premier Inn, but £50 in the middle of Newcastle on a weekend with free secure cycle storage is just amazing. That's a universal service across all Premier Inns.

Loads of £££ left over for artisan coffees, brunches, dinners. Going to eat really well.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,912

via
    @DeltapollUK
    , 09 - 12 Jun

It's an outlier :lol:
    7 of the last 8 polls have the lead at 14% or less 1 of the last 8 has the lead at 20

Spot the outlier!!!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

Last 10 Polls

Lead 15 points

Yes. But I don't think he will.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

They.

Are.

Not.

Weighted.
    Exactly. I thought we'd explained this about 10 years ago on PB, and about a million times since.
    Well, I've been on here since the beginning and I've never seen an explanation so perhaps we can do this once more for old time's sake.

Looking at London in the Redfield & Wilton tables tonight - an unweighted sample of 398 becomes a weighted sample of 205 - that divides 67 for the Conservatives, 58 for the Liberal Democrats and 57 for Labour with 11 Don't Knows.

Conversely, the East England sample has an unweighted value of 127 but a weighted value of 150.

Perhaps my issue is with how weighting has been applied by R&W and presumably every pollster has its own sampling and weighting (bit like every chef has a different ingredient in their top sauce).

If we therefore accept every poll is "wrong", where is the truth? We had a big set of elections at the beginning of May but even then we know only about half of those who will vote in a GE vote in a local election so is that any better a guide?

Yet the emphasis we put on polls as a temperature check seems to suggest they must contain some validity for all they seem to this observer to be systemically flawed and as we all know they are clearly open to misinterpretation or whatever interpretation you want.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,023
    Eabhal said:

Amid all the doom and cost-of-living gloom, you can still have pretty cheap holidays in the UK. Two of us cycling Hadrian's Wall this weekend:

I know it's a PB meme to love Premier Inn, but £50 in the middle of Newcastle on a weekend with free secure cycle storage is just amazing. That's a universal service across all Premier Inns.

Loads of £££ left over for artisan coffees, brunches, dinners. Going to eat really well.

We were originally planning a two week tour of the Low Countries via Eurostar but their stupid anti-bike policy put us off.
  • Options

kle4 said:

What he has announced is old school Labour.
    So he's actually announced something?

What's he actually announced?
  • Options
    This makes me so mad, I just want to find these types and hound them relentlessly. Anyone fancy a dogpile?

This study suggests that people who publicly shame & dogpile on social media are not motivated by moral outrage or a desire to do good, but by sadism

They just get off on the cruelty

https://twitter.com/JonathanShedler/status/1667950409787527168
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

We were originally planning a two week tour of the Low Countries via Eurostar but their stupid anti-bike policy put us off.
    I did something very similar 2 years ago. Started in Carlisle and cycled across to Newcastle, following the wall (roughly) then up to Berwick, then to Darlington. Stayed at pre booked premier Inns for between £30 and £50 a night.

A really good trip is the train up to Aberdeen along the coast, then the Northlink to Shetland.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,217

kle4 said:

I really don't get what Cathy Green is going on about. Surely we want a prospective PM who is planning in the National Interest. I am not saying I would agree with that plan. I am not saying that the nation comes before the individual (in my mind). But isn't the whole point of the Government to act in (what they perceive as) the National Interest? And if so then why not advertise it?
    It's a sad comment on the last decade that it even needs spelling out.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671

Leon said:

Good god. Paris has erected two skyscrapers which make the Walkie Talkie look elegant. Possibly as bad as the Big Jobbie in Edinburgh

Wow. It's a visual metaphor for Western civilisation in its terminal diarrhea stage. It's like looking at a latter-day Roman sculpture when they all forgot how to draw.

The sad thing is, as soon as everyone has realised that it's a mistake and needs pulling down, it will be listed.
    It has already listed.
    Ha, brill.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,976
    Andy_JS said:

Last 10 Polls

Lead 15 points

What lead did Theresa May have at the start of the 2017 campaign? Can't remember.
    Yes, but Starmer is no May, and Sunak is no Corbyn.
  • Options
    Omnium said:
    I agree, but at least it isn't the Sun.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

kle4 said:

I really don't get what Cathy Green is going on about. Surely we want a prospective PM who is planning in the National Interest. I am not saying I would agree with that plan. I am not saying that the nation comes before the individual (in my mind). But isn't the whole point of the Government to act in (what they perceive as) the National Interest? And if so then why not advertise it?
    The baddies (and clearly no goodies) used it in the 70s. And his face takes up a lot of space.

It's totally not a really weird paranoia or anything.

I'm just surprised she didn't go all in and call it the Butcher's Apron, get offended on behalf of some non-white people, to go for that "secretly a 14 year old" political vibe.
  • Options
    @christiancalgie
    2m
    🚨🚨 Boris tells the Express “Nothing less than absolute victory and total Brexit will do – and as the great Arnold Schwarzenegger said, 𝗜’𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸.”

https://twitter.com/christiancalgie/status/1668350322400452632
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,804
    stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

via
    @DeltapollUK
    , 09 - 12 Jun

If you believe, as per Deltapoll, the Conservatives are 10 points ahead in London, there are plenty of bridges out there people will sell you.
    Or better still, that the SNP will only lose 7 seats to SLAB, but win back 7 from SCon and Alistair Carmichael🤔
  • Options
    kle4 said:

his face takes up a lot of space.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

@christiancalgie
    2m
    🚨🚨 Boris tells the Express “Nothing less than absolute victory and total Brexit will do – and as the great Arnold Schwarzenegger said, 𝗜’𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸.”

Ok that is just really lame. I know Brexit and the 2019 victory over it was his political highpoint, but you can't just make everything about Brexit. Half of Tory MPs did not kick him out because they were remainiacs against a 'total Brexit'.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,470

Bank customers experience problems with online Mastercard payments
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/bank-customers-experience-problems-with-online-mastercard-payments/ar-AA1csfc9

Cashless society advocates, please explain.

It wouldn't allow me to buy pies and Lumphammer ale online from Mad O'Rourke's Tipton Pie Factory.just an hour ago, so it wasn't fixed then.

The country has gone to the dogs now Boris is finished.
  • Options

Last 10 Polls

Lead 15 points

Dunno.

How close to him are you?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Eternity, surely.
    Don't call him Surely.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,901
    Eabhal said:

Enjoy. Hadrian's Cycleway is an awesome route - probably the easiest of the northern coast-to-coasts but still gives you a great sense of achievement.
  • Options

Can I make a small point of order:

IMHO piling in on HYUFD for his political opinions is fine, but piling in on him because of his religious faith demeans those that do it. Just sayin'

Why?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@christiancalgie
    2m

Its like a sad old man regaling the same story for the 865th time.

At some point you just have to either stop speaking to them, or just nod along and smile.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,217
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mega-chutzpah!

Downtown DC isn't very pretty, it is true. But the Capitol Building is iconic and an impressive sight at the top of Capitol Hill. Looking back at it down the Mall from the Lincoln Memorial is quite stirring.
    A bit unfair to call Georgetown faux-Highgate as the buildings are probably about the same age in the two places. I don't like Georgetown much for the same reason I don't like Highgate, it's full of insufferably dull rich people. The nicest neighbourhood in DC is Capitol Hill/Eastern Market, a really lovely leafy red brick victorian patch of shady streets, parks and squares. I am biased as I used to live there!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

his face takes up a lot of space.

"Yes we can't!" :lol:
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,808

Last 10 Polls

Lead 15 points

Dunno.

How close to him are you?
    Lol. More importantly, would he want to?

You can just see the headline in the Sun. Starmer caught blowing BigJohnOwls. SKS fans please explain.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Can I make a small point of order:

IMHO piling in on HYUFD for his political opinions is fine, but piling in on him because of his religious faith demeans those that do it. Just sayin'

Thanks but doesn't bother me. I will always take on the ideological secularists on here as hard as I am willing to take on the liberal left when needed
This discussion has been closed.