Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Where do we even start? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,227

Some notable lines:

- Murdoch papers still expected to back the Tories (and could be on the losing side for the first time ever).
    - The Economist is set to endorse Labour for the first time since 2005.
    - FT viewed as a key swing voter.
    -
    https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1667469276066852864

FT will surely back Labour

They could back the Lib Dems as a rejection of Starmer's policy on the single market.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,338

That Starmer email. No mention of Mid Beds ...

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1667448668360695808

As I said:
    Its been reported quite widely that Starmer and Davey get on very well and have conversations. So I assume that they have already Tehran Conferenced the coming byelections:
    Rutherglen: Labour
    Mid Beds: LibDems
    Uxbridge: Labour
    If I were Davey, I’d be wary of what happened in 1997.
    1997? When the GE more than doubled the Lib Dems’ seat total?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    edited June 2023

As I said:
    Its been reported quite widely that Starmer and Davey get on very well and have conversations. So I assume that they have already Tehran Conferenced the coming byelections:
    If the Tories pick a well known local Hillingdon councillor in nearly 10% Hindu Uxbridge they could even win it under Rishi against the Camden council Cabinet member Labour have picked.

Would be amusing if Labour lost Uxbridge but the LDs won Mid Beds which I think is possible.

Leaving Labour's only gain from the SNP not the Tories in Rutherglen
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited June 2023
    HYUFD said:

As I said:
    If the Tories pick a local councillor in nearly 10% Hindu Uxbridge they could even win it under Rishi.

Would be amusing if Labour lost Uxbridge but the LDs won Mid Beds which I think is possible.

I don’t know what is more sad.

Your assumption that Hindus will vote, as a block, for a Hindu, or the fact that your assumption is probably correct.

Our politics shouldn’t work like this.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    New from @JLPartnersPolls in @Daily_Express

Net popularity amongst 🇬🇧 public

Charles III: +19
    Holly Willoughby: -12
    Keir Starmer: -14
    Rishi Sunak: -26
    Phillip Schofield: -39
    Xi Jinping: -40
    Boris Johnson: -45
    Prince Andrew: -71
    Vladimir Putin: -82

https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1667307795186696192
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,966
    Scott_xP said:

@PickardJE

according to @YouGov snap poll

46% of 2019 Conservative voters say Johnson was right to quit while only 33% say he was wrong

What does “right to quit” mean? It could mean you think it’s right that he goes coz you don’t like him. It could mean you think he’s right that he was hounded out by a kangaroo court coz you do like him.

PS: I take the use of the term “kangaroo court” as a slur on all kangaroos. He’s lost the macropod vote there.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,059

Scott_xP said:

@PickardJE

46% of 2019 Conservative voters say Johnson was right to quit while only 33% say he was wrong

What does “right to quit” mean? It could mean you think it’s right that he goes coz you don’t like him. It could mean you think he’s right that he was hounded out by a kangaroo court coz you do like him.

PS: I take the use of the term “kangaroo court” as a slur on all kangaroos. He’s lost the macropod vote there.
    Well he is a bounder so a kangaroo court is apt.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797
    Farooq said:

On topic I think Chris Bryant is indulging in wishful thinking. As I posted last night, the HoC library is explict that an MP, even one who is expelled from Parliament, can immediately stand again. One MP was expelled 3 times (for different offences) and stood and won again on each occasion.

I would like to see Johnson simply disappear but that isn't going to happen and I can easily see him making a comeback some time in the future as the supposed 'saviour' of the Tory party.

Isn't the point that is being made that if he stood again and was elected as an MP he'd immediately be suspended for 10 days and liable to a local petition for a recall which would immediately lead to another election.
    I suspect he would be able to claim that, having been outside of Parliament for much longer than the 10 day suspension he had already effectively been through the recall process. The electors would have chosen him in full knowledge of his verdict. I don't want to see him back but I think he would win any argument on that basis. All the more so if it is a couple of years down the line.

Remember he sees himself as Churchill so I do think he is playing the long game here. He will disassociate himself from the forthcoming Tory GE defeat and then watch Starmer struggle to make any real impact on the problems the country is facing. Then a nice safe seat for the King over the Water to slip into.

Except Boris will be 64 by the election after next, and probably not a fit sprightly 64 at that. He'll also be bald as a coot, which matters for Boris. The hair is his brand.

I'm sure returning from the wilderness is the story he will tell himself. I'm sure he will collect some deluded followers that way. But it is a delusion, and one that will harm the Conservatives until it finally dies.

Parliament and the public had better blooming well see that report, though.
    When you get older losing your hair
    Many years from now
    Will you still impregnate other people's wives?
    Spreading Covid ruining lives?

If your barbecue got out of hand
    Sick upon the floor
    Will we still need you, will we still feed you
    When you're sixty-four
    I read the news today, oh boy
    About a thicko man who quit his job
    And though the news was rather fab
    Well, I just had to laugh
    I saw the photograph
    He blew his beans in Princess Nut
    He didn't notice she's a lunatic
    A crowd of people stood and stared
    They'd seen his face before
    Nobody was really sure if he was selling Channel Four

I saw a film today, oh boy
    The English voters chose the Brexit path
    A crowd of people believed me
    But I just had to cough
    I lied my head off

Woke up, fell out of bed
    Dragged a broom across my head
    Found my way downstairs and drank a rum
    And looking dumb, I noticed I was late
    Found my coat and grabbed my hat
    Made cabinet in seconds flat
    Found my way upstairs and had a wank
    And somebody spoke and I went into a dream

I read the news today, oh boy
    Four thousand dead in some old people's home
    And though the dead were rather old
    They had to count them all
    Now they know how many dead it takes to fill the Albert Hall
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    ping said:

HYUFD said:

As I said:
    If the Tories pick a local councillor in nearly 10% Hindu Uxbridge they could even win it under Rishi.

Your assumption that Hindus will vote, as a block, for a Hindu, or the fact that your assumption is probably correct.

Leicester has the highest Hindu percentage of voters in the UK and the Tories had their best result in the local elections in the UK by far in Leicester in May gaining 17 seats from Labour. Hindus may only be less than 2% of the UK population but for them having one of their own as UK PM is as big as Obama being US President was for African Americans. Where the Hindu population is well above average there may even be a swing to the Conservatives while Rishi is PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2023/england/councils/E06000016
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,418
    Andy_JS said:

Christopher Hope is one of the most unreliable journalists there is, it is astonishing he has the position and reputation he does.

If he told me it was raining, I would go outside and check.

Never heard of him.
    That's the spirit!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,602
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

As I said:

Leicester has the highest Hindu percentage of voters in the UK and the Tories had their best result in the local elections in the UK by far in Leicester in May gaining 17 seats from Labour. Hindus may only be less than 2% of the UK population but for them having one of their own as PM is as big as Obama being US President was for African Americans. Where the Hindu population is well above average there may even be a swing to the Conservatives while Rishi is PM

My mum hates Rishi "£5,000 shirt" Sunak!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

As I said:

Leicester has the highest Hindu percentage of voters in the UK and the Tories had their best result in the local elections in the UK by far in Leicester in May gaining 17 seats from Labour. Hindus may only be less than 2% of the UK population but for them having one of their own as UK PM is as big as Obama being US President was for African Americans. Where the Hindu population is well above average there may even be a swing to the Conservatives while Rishi is PM

India is 80% Hindu, but only 36% of Indians voted for the BJP. The rest is FPTP.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,338

People don't like people very much do they?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Chris Bryant has just said on Sky that the privileges report will be presented to parliament and voted on

He also said that this would prevent him standing for parliament in the future

It is essential the report is published so we can all see just how malign he is, and no matter our politics it is essential we all endorse the privileges committee and reject Johnson's attack on it and his personal attack on Harriet Harman

All avenues to his return must be closed off

Chris Bryant as Head of the Standards and privileges committee shows how far politics has sunk
    That’s his job, though I’d say exposes, rather than shows.
    And he’s done it very well.

Or was your comment simply baseless abuse ?
    You think a man who advertises himself in a mens mag in his underpants together with details of what he was looking for is the type of person we need.?
    Why not? What part of that matters in your eyes? Someone who is not ashamed about who he is and is confident in expressing what he wants is precisely what we should look for.

What's a bigger issue to me is having politicians who clearly hate each other for political reasons standing in judgment on each other. That's ripe for abuse, but I don't see any way around that without abolishing the system altogether.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

As I said:

And do you think the opposite could be true? Voters who see brown-skinned Hindu and change their vote from Conservative to something else? Given that Hindus are outnumbered in Uxbridge by Christians, atheists, and Muslims, do you think the PM's ethnicity and religion could count more against than for him?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

As I said:

And do you think the opposite could be true? Voters who see brown-skinned Hindu and change their vote from Conservative to something else? Given that Hindus are outnumbered in Uxbridge by Christians, atheists, and Muslims, do you think the PM's ethnicity and religion could count more against than for him?
    Didn't happen in Leicester. The swing amongst non Hindus in Uxbridge would be national average but the swing amongst Hindus could be massively to the Conservatives, I expect this was what Ashcroft's Uxbridge poll showing a Tory hold found.
    https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2023/06/it-is-assumed-boris-would-lose-a-by-election-but-would-he/

Even when Rishi was only Chancellor, the Conservatives held Hillingdon council in May 2022 despite losing control of other flagship Tory councils in London like Westminster, Barnet and Wandsworth to Labour
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

I think the Tories may hold Mid Beds relatively comfortably. Labour is unlikely to give the LDs a clear run because local activists will not allow it - not just in the constituency itself, but it ones nearby. That should be enough to let the Tories through on a much reduced vote share.

This is the interesting question now - how much will Labour understand the boundaries of the reachable universe? I posted that the latest MRP poll suggested that the new Aberdeenshire North & Moray East, and Aberdeenshire Central seats would be won by Labour from 4th on 5%. @TSE did give an example of this happening - SNP defeating Jo Swinson the first time.

Thing is that the SNP in 2015 was a national outcry against The Vow. The national outcry against the Tories doesn't have a unified direction - it isn't that every man jack of you will vote Labour. Its Anyone But Conservative.

So there is a danger here of dickhead Labour absolutists (and the party is full of that mentality) thinking they MUST win every seat no mater how mental that is. Mid Beds looks LibDem all day long, so if Labour go and split the vote like they did in Finchley and Golders Green in 2019, the Tories could hold it.
    By the way, I never spoke up in agreement with you about that. I don't see our constituency going Labour, I really don't. Of course it's possible, anything is. But it doesn't feel like it from where I'm sat.

And this matters for me. I most of all want the Tories out at the next election. They need to be on the end of the most vivid spanking possible. Last time I "wasted" my vote on the Lib Dems on a point of principle. This time I'm inclined to vote against the Tories in the most effective way possible. That looked and still looks like the SNP here, but if I genuinely believed Labour were in with a better chance, it would be Labour. The MRP was interesting, but for me it landed some way short of believable. I hope we get more of these before I actually need to decide because I'm definitely of a mind to follow the crowd this time.
    Had Banff and Buchan still existed I would vote SNP to get rid of the lickspittle Duguid. Yes I know the SNP are also as bent as a nine bob note. But less so than the billions-of-our-money-stolen Tories.

Post boundary change I am in Aberdeenshire Central. Which is predominantly the old Gordon seat which was LD recently. So I will vote for my own party with good conscience and hope others do the same. In the new AN&ME seat I expect it still needs an SNP vote to dislodge the Tory.

The wildcard in Scotland is what happens to the SNP. Its all gone a bit quiet with their scandals, but if charges are brought and infighting begins then who knows where we go.

What if - and this is speculation - Scottish voters decide its a plague on both their houses?

On topic I think Chris Bryant is indulging in wishful thinking. As I posted last night, the HoC library is explict that an MP, even one who is expelled from Parliament, can immediately stand again. One MP was expelled 3 times (for different offences) and stood and won again on each occasion.

I would like to see Johnson simply disappear but that isn't going to happen and I can easily see him making a comeback some time in the future as the supposed 'saviour' of the Tory party.

Yes. He can run in these byelections if he wants. The issue is that surely he cannot do so as a Conservative.

The Big Question is what the BBBites do now. Its apparently now a fight to save Brexit - the only reason they have removed him is in a plot to overturn the referendum is you listen to people like Campbell-Bannerman.

We have already seen people like Ann Widdicombe defect rightwards. Could a Tory schism be on the cards? Boris to lead an exodus to ReFUK?
    Unless we get PR there is no chance of Boris going to RefUK
    Even if we get PR there is no chance of Boris going to RefUK.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,176
    boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@PickardJE

Well he is a bounder so a kangaroo court is apt.
    He's no wannabe wallaby....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,999
    DougSeal said:

Not an entirely representative selection of humanity, TBF.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,176

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

I think the Tories may hold Mid Beds relatively comfortably. Labour is unlikely to give the LDs a clear run because local activists will not allow it - not just in the constituency itself, but it ones nearby. That should be enough to let the Tories through on a much reduced vote share.

This is the interesting question now - how much will Labour understand the boundaries of the reachable universe? I posted that the latest MRP poll suggested that the new Aberdeenshire North & Moray East, and Aberdeenshire Central seats would be won by Labour from 4th on 5%. @TSE did give an example of this happening - SNP defeating Jo Swinson the first time.

Thing is that the SNP in 2015 was a national outcry against The Vow. The national outcry against the Tories doesn't have a unified direction - it isn't that every man jack of you will vote Labour. Its Anyone But Conservative.

So there is a danger here of dickhead Labour absolutists (and the party is full of that mentality) thinking they MUST win every seat no mater how mental that is. Mid Beds looks LibDem all day long, so if Labour go and split the vote like they did in Finchley and Golders Green in 2019, the Tories could hold it.
    By the way, I never spoke up in agreement with you about that. I don't see our constituency going Labour, I really don't. Of course it's possible, anything is. But it doesn't feel like it from where I'm sat.

And this matters for me. I most of all want the Tories out at the next election. They need to be on the end of the most vivid spanking possible. Last time I "wasted" my vote on the Lib Dems on a point of principle. This time I'm inclined to vote against the Tories in the most effective way possible. That looked and still looks like the SNP here, but if I genuinely believed Labour were in with a better chance, it would be Labour. The MRP was interesting, but for me it landed some way short of believable. I hope we get more of these before I actually need to decide because I'm definitely of a mind to follow the crowd this time.
    Had Banff and Buchan still existed I would vote SNP to get rid of the lickspittle Duguid. Yes I know the SNP are also as bent as a nine bob note. But less so than the billions-of-our-money-stolen Tories.

Post boundary change I am in Aberdeenshire Central. Which is predominantly the old Gordon seat which was LD recently. So I will vote for my own party with good conscience and hope others do the same. In the new AN&ME seat I expect it still needs an SNP vote to dislodge the Tory.

The wildcard in Scotland is what happens to the SNP. Its all gone a bit quiet with their scandals, but if charges are brought and infighting begins then who knows where we go.

What if - and this is speculation - Scottish voters decide its a plague on both their houses?

Yes. He can run in these byelections if he wants. The issue is that surely he cannot do so as a Conservative.

The Big Question is what the BBBites do now. Its apparently now a fight to save Brexit - the only reason they have removed him is in a plot to overturn the referendum is you listen to people like Campbell-Bannerman.

We have already seen people like Ann Widdicombe defect rightwards. Could a Tory schism be on the cards? Boris to lead an exodus to ReFUK?
    Unless we get PR there is no chance of Boris going to RefUK
    Even if we get PR there is no chance of Boris going to RefUK.
    Next stop for Boris after the Chiltern Hundreds is the Big Bucks....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,665

I see that the IMF is saying that economic migration reduces pay rates:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65815254

Fascinating isn't it how globalisation seems to require higher pay for the well connected and lower pay for everyone else.

Wait, the experts and their models who said it doesn't were wrong and those of who looked at real world data and said it does were right?

Clearly Michael Gove was onto something.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

As I said:

Didn't happen in Leicester. The swing amongst non Hindus in Uxbridge would be national average but the swing amongst Hindus could be to the Conservatives, I expect this was what Ashcroft's Uxbridge poll showing a Tory hold found.
    https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2023/06/it-is-assumed-boris-would-lose-a-by-election-but-would-he/
    But East Leicester has a much, much higher concentration of Hindus. They are the biggest religious group. That's not the case in Uxbridge, Hindus come in fourth according to the 2021 census. So your putative Hindu swing is capped to within 9% of the constituency, whereas the potential anti-Hindu swing, if it exists, is fishing from tenfold that number.

So in Leicester East, the swing away would need to be half as big as the swing towards to balance it. In Uxbridge is only needs to be a tenth of the size.

Leicester is completely unrepresentative, so you need to be really careful in mapping effects you think you've seen there out into the wider world.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,365

Farooq said:

I know it’s been observed before but BJ really is the Tories’ Corbyn.
    Except BJ is a total self-serving Cnut of course.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150

Isn't the point that is being made that if he stood again and was elected as an MP he'd immediately be suspended for 10 days and liable to a local petition for a recall which would immediately lead to another election.
    I suspect he would be able to claim that, having been outside of Parliament for much longer than the 10 day suspension he had already effectively been through the recall process.
    As I read it, he can claim what he likes, but if at any point in the future the Commons votes to suspend him as a consequence of this report, that will initiate the recall petition process.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,056
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Chris Bryant has just said on Sky that the privileges report will be presented to parliament and voted on

It is essential the report is published so we can all see just how malign he is, and no matter our politics it is essential we all endorse the privileges committee and reject Johnson's attack on it and his personal attack on Harriet Harman

Chris Bryant as Head of the Standards and privileges committee shows how far politics has sunk

You think a man who advertises himself in a mens mag in his underpants together with details of what he was looking for is the type of person we need.?
    How many decades ago is that now ? That such a thing determines your view if him to this day speaks volumes about you, and says nothing about him.
    He’s a married man and well respected MP.

I don’t vote Labour, but he’s a great asset to the Commons.

"Asset" slightly unfortunate ...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Fascinating isn't it how globalisation seems to require higher pay for the well connected and lower pay for everyone else.

Wait, the experts and their models who said it doesn't were wrong and those of who looked at real world data and said it does were right?

I assume you won't be pushing back on this fact in future then?

Economists have identified the UK's tight labour market, exacerbated by the impact of Brexit on flows of European Union workers and the impact of the Covid pandemic, as one of the main contributory factors to high domestic inflation.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,920

Roger said:

I still quite like BJ; he has an appealing cheeky-chappy persona (although I know that drives some people nuts). But someone being likable does not mean they'll be a good PM or leader.

A rare moment when I agree with Josias - I quite like him, and he was very helpful on animal welfare, which of course is an important plus for me. I expect to run across him in the village where I spend a lot of my time, and will be glad to have a drink with him.

At moment like this, few people are willing to say anything positive, but we're all mixed bags.
    My view on Johnson is that he is highly intelligent, but has a lazy brain. I reckon he coasted through school, not having to apply himself much, and he has continued in that way through life. If something interested him or caught his attention, he had the intellect to do it well.

But being PM involves a whole load of nitty-gritty, boring details work. And I reckon he just could not be bothered with those sorts of things a lot of the time, and trusted 'friends' to do it without much follow-up.

Whereas someone who found school less easy, who might be slightly less intelligent, might be a much better PM - because they're used to working blooming hard to get results.

Other may obviously disagree with this. ;)
    If you believe that you would have to believe him to be malevolent beyond even what his haters believe him to be. No one with such a 'high degree of intelligence' would have wanted to take the country out of the EU unless for reasons known among Conservatives as 'an Ideology' and no one has ever accused him of having one of those
    What utter bollocks; it's a form of the usual Brexit-voters-are-thick stuff we see on here occasionally, and is one of the big reasons that remain lost.
    Thick racist or occasionally through a belief that it will benefit them personally. For example farmers and fishermen who thought it would remove competition (erroneously as it turned out). A few believed it might bring back the closed shop. Again to remove competition.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,665
    Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

I assume you won't be pushing back on this fact in future then?

Economists have identified the UK's tight labour market, exacerbated by the impact of Brexit on flows of European Union workers and the impact of the Covid pandemic, as one of the main contributory factors to high domestic inflation.
    No, it was an intended consequence of Brexit. Reduce the available pool of labour to force up wages.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012

Sean_F said:

Yes, I fear this may be the case. The Cherwell debacle shows that the Labour NEC are not inclined to indulge the LibDems in the Blue Wall and are prepared to cut off their own nose in the process. Essentially they want to avoid the LibDems being seen as the default choice in southern England outside London.
    Labour exists to promote the interests of Labour, not the interests of the Lib Dem’s.
    Or to put it another way, the Cherwell episode showed that Labour exists to promote the interests of Labour, not progress or social justice. The upshot of the NEC shenanigans is that Cherwell has a minority Conservative administration and not a Lab/LD/Green one.

Always helpful to know these things before considering a tactical vote.
    Maybe they don't consider that assisting the Lib Dems and Greens would promote either progress or social justice. And, from a purely party poliical viewpoint, why give an opening to rivals on your own side? That was surely, a huge mistake made by the Liberals in the 1900's.
  • Options

Some notable lines:

- Murdoch papers still expected to back the Tories (and could be on the losing side for the first time ever).
    -

The FT usually backs Labour. Its editorial line has little in common with its readership.
  • Options

Philip Schofield as unpopular as Winnie the Pooh or Bojo. That must hurt.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    https://acoup.blog/2023/06/09/fireside-friday-june-9-2023/

@Cicero and others. I enjoyed this piece from Brett Devereaux, analysing why Russian military performance has been so poor (and the same may turn out to be true of other vaunted militaries). I also take his point that (counter-intuitively, WMD, especially nukes, save lives.)
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896
    edited June 2023
    I am inclined to give some credence to HYUFD’s comments on Uxbridge. The difference from national swing in areas with large Hindu populations is pretty clear to see from the locals. Not just Leicester.

And Mid Beds is a pretty tough ask for the Lib Dems even with tactical voting.

If the Tories hold these two - against the odds and expectations - that would be a huge game changer for the next election. Could be one of those events that change the narrative.

I fear neither opposition party is playing the expectations management game strongly enough here. A positive swing won’t be enough.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,673
    TimS said:

I am inclined to give some credence to HYUFD’s comments on Uxbridge. The difference from national swing in areas with large Hindu populations is pretty clear to see from the locals. Not just Leicester.

If the Tories hold these two - against the odds and expectations - that would be a huge game changer for the next election. Could be one of those events that change the narrative.

I fear neither opposition party is playing the expectations management game strongly enough here. A positive swing won’t be enough.

It might change the narrative; I doubt it will change the game.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Such as?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    Sean_F said:

@Cicero and others. I enjoyed this piece from Brett Devereaux, analysing why Russian military performance has been so poor (and the same may turn out to be true of other vaunted militaries). I also take his point that (counter-intuitively, WMD, especially nukes, save lives.)

This was an interesting suggestion:

Prior to the industrial revolution, war was the best way to get rich (if you won) because land and conquered subjects were so much more valuable than any kind of capital investment (infrastructure, manufacture, tools, etc.) that could have been developed with the same resources. The industrial revolution changes this, both by making war a lot more destructive (thus lowering returns to successful warfare)1 while at the same time massively raising returns to capital investment in things like infrastructure, factories and tractors. It suddenly made more sense, if you coveted your neighbors resources, to build more factories and buy those resources than to try to seize them by force.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,673
    Leeds United is another national asset sold to America.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65863200
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,564
    TimS said:

I am inclined to give some credence to HYUFD’s comments on....

A very slippery slope, that...

• Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 441
    TimS said:

The difference between Uxbridge Hindu voters and Leicester Hindu voters is that the Uxbridge group would have been solidly Tory in 2019. Remember in 2019 the Labour candidate was a devout Muslim with strong views on Kashmir. Maybe someone can give reasons why anyone who voted Labour in U&SR in 2019 would switch to Tory in 2023?
  • Options
    Why any Trump documents trial is unlikely to be a rapid process.

Expert Backgrounder: Secret Evidence in Public Trials
    Protecting defendants and national security under the Classified Information Procedures Act (CIPA)
    https://www.justsecurity.org/86812/secret-evidence-in-public-trials-protecting-defendants-and-national-security-under-the-classified-information-procedures-act/

TLDR - this would likely require at least a six month process before any actual trial.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,046
    edited June 2023

I suspect he would be able to claim that, having been outside of Parliament for much longer than the 10 day suspension he had already effectively been through the recall process. The electors would have chosen him in full knowledge of his verdict. I don't want to see him back but I think he would win any argument on that basis. All the more so if it is a couple of years down the line.

Remember he sees himself as Churchill so I do think he is playing the long game here. He will disassociate himself from the forthcoming Tory GE defeat and then watch Starmer struggle to make any real impact on the problems the country is facing. Then a nice safe seat for the King over the Water to slip into.

Except Boris will be 64 by the election after next, and probably not a fit sprightly 64 at that. He'll also be bald as a coot, which matters for Boris. The hair is his brand.

I'm sure returning from the wilderness is the story he will tell himself. I'm sure he will collect some deluded followers that way. But it is a delusion, and one that will harm the Conservatives until it finally dies.

Parliament and the public had better blooming well see that report, though.
    64 is still young in US political terms.

And given that Boris was born in the USA :wink:
    Churchill was a month short of 77 when he was elected in 1951.

Chamberlain was 68
    Callaghan was 64

Macmillan, Alec Douglas-Home and Atlee were all in their 60s.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,444
    The Parliamentary Privileges Committee have brought their meeting forward to Monday when no doubt their full report will be made public
  • Options

It was an asset already foreign owned.

What is amazing is that after paying £45m for all of Leeds Utd in 2017 Radrizzani is now able to sell his remaining 56% for £170m.

That's an enormous capital gain on an investment which doesn't seem to have performed very well.

And do all these now football club owners understand the law of diminishing returns ?

There is after all only a finite number of trophies to be won and top players to be purchased.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Nigelb said:

So your problem is he's openly gay?
    I sometimes wonder what century squareroot2 lives in. It's none of our business how politicians seek their partners, or what their preference is. We make political life quite hard enough without setting up hurdles like that..
  • Options
    TimS said:

I picked a random area that looks similar to Uxbridge in demography: Watford. It looks like the Conservatives lost about 11% of their vote (down from 19.6% to 17.5%, a 2.1pp decrease).

Does that fit the effect you and HYUFD think you are seeing?
  • Options
    edited June 2023

TimS said:

Such as?
    This for a start, from last year. Same area.
    I’m hoping it’s not going to be the case but fearing the worst / doing some self-expectation management.

https://m.timesofindia.com/world/uk/british-indian-vote-considered-main-reason-for-conservatives-only-council-gain-in-uk-local-elections/amp_articleshow/91409037.cms
  • Options
    Of course that doesn't apply to his lawyer(s) who allegedly conspired with him to conceal his retaining classified documents.

Were they to be charged with obstruction, the detail in the documents doesn't have to be pre-litigated, so any trial could be quite rapid.
    Which places rather a lot of pressure on individuals to co-operate with the investigation.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

As a counterbalance read this from foreignaffairs.com an unwinnable war.

https://twitter.com/Chooselife63/status/1667165236518895616?s=20
  • Options

Yes, but it's not always a good thing
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Sean_F said:

Some notable lines:

-

The FT usually backs Labour. Its editorial line has little in common with its readership.
    I think it has a lot in common with its readership, who are the woke remainer metro elite blob, like me. Perhaps more Lib Dem or Gaukish inclined than Labour, but certainly not Boris types.
  • Options
    Have we our Saturday visitor ?
  • Options
    This is also what Julian Ropcke says a columnist at Bild so hardly a Russian propogandist.

If you feel better, screaming at me, calling me a Russian propagandist and blaming me for the loss of tanks an ifv, please just do it. I'm also sad and angry, so I can feel you. #Servicetweet

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1667188694669746176?s=20
  • Options

Sean_F said:

This was an interesting suggestion:

Prior to the industrial revolution, war was the best way to get rich (if you won) because land and conquered subjects were so much more valuable than any kind of capital investment (infrastructure, manufacture, tools, etc.) that could have been developed with the same resources. The industrial revolution changes this, both by making war a lot more destructive (thus lowering returns to successful warfare)1 while at the same time massively raising returns to capital investment in things like infrastructure, factories and tractors. It suddenly made more sense, if you coveted your neighbors resources, to build more factories and buy those resources than to try to seize them by force.
    Non violent conquest - which according to some on here does not exist.
  • Options

This is also what Julian Ropcke says a columnist at Bild so hardly a Russian propogandist.

If you feel better, screaming at me, calling me a Russian propagandist and blaming me for the loss of tanks an ifv, please just do it. I'm also sad and angry, so I can feel you. #Servicetweet

@Big_G_NorthWales here’s the answer to your question.
  • Options
    ANALYSIS INFOWAR AFTERNOON JUNE 9 If this kind of videos continue to come for a couple of weeks the entire view of ukrainian and russian capabilities might reverse, as they did in March 2022. Before March 2022 everybody thought that RuAF was highly qualified and a mighty military power. After March 2022 RuAF became ridiculed as parade soldiers totally unsuited for real war. From having been compared to the german Wehrmacht in WWII, they now became the Italians from WWII. Sorry Italy I don't mean any disrespect, but that's how you're ( a bit unfairly) seen. The UkrAF got instead a fantastic reputation as super warriors, at least in the West. This view of ukrainian and russian military capability coloured everybody. Russian military bloggers had of course a higher opinion of their side, but many lost there former confidence and sometimes acted like nervous wrecks at the smallest negative information. But if the ukrainian counteroffensive fails after what seems to be an endless series of suicidal banzai attacks, everybody will be as shocked, as they where in March 2022, but this time about surprising russian prowess and as surprising ukrainian ineptitude. Everything could change in a couple of weeks even in the information war. And that could have an enormous impact of the western will to support Ukraine. An Ukraine with diminishing support from the west, destroyed strategic reserves and lost confidence would go toward a dismal future. A second large refuge wave westwards are just one, of many, possible consequences and there would also be a much increased risk for collapses at the front.

https://twitter.com/MikaelValterss1/status/1667213009012310019?s=20
  • Options

Centralpark is a bit too close to Mayfair, conceptually.
    I'll say goodbye now, in case I don't get the chance.

I expect to see some raging foam-flecked homophobia from you before the end.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

What is amazing is that after paying £45m for all of Leeds Utd in 2017 Radrizzani is now able to sell his remaining 56% for £170m.

That's an enormous capital gain on an investment which doesn't seem to have performed very well.

And do all these now football club owners understand the law of diminishing returns ?

There is after all only a finite number of trophies to be won and top players to be purchased.
    A premier league (or potential premier league) club in a large prosperous city is always likely to be a decent investment if you don't overpay.*

A club with Leeds' record in a poorer locale wouldn't be.

* and if you have the resources never to be a forced seller.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,639
    TimS said:

Sean_F said:

Some notable lines:

-

I think it has a lot in common with its readership, who are the woke remainer metro elite blob, like me. Perhaps more Lib Dem or Gaukish inclined than Labour, but certainly not Boris types.
    The FT is a serious business player, so it has to place a premium of telling it as it sees it, rather than acting as a cheerleader for a political party in order to chase circulation in the style of most other papers.
  • Options

Yep looks like it. You do have to wonder at the mentality of those running these troll factories that they think PB is so important (sadly it isn't) that it has to have its weekly visitor.

The fact that they are so wasteful and uninformed with their propaganda gives some clue as to why the rest of their military machine has performed so abominably.
  • Options

ANALYSIS INFOWAR AFTERNOON JUNE 9 If this kind of videos continue to come for a couple of weeks the entire view of ukrainian and russian capabilities might reverse, as they did in March 2022. Before March 2022 everybody thought that RuAF was highly qualified and a mighty military power. After March 2022 RuAF became ridiculed as parade soldiers totally unsuited for real war. From having been compared to the german Wehrmacht in WWII, they now became the Italians from WWII. Sorry Italy I don't mean any disrespect, but that's how you're ( a bit unfairly) seen. The UkrAF got instead a fantastic reputation as super warriors, at least in the West. This view of ukrainian and russian military capability coloured everybody. Russian military bloggers had of course a higher opinion of their side, but many lost there former confidence and sometimes acted like nervous wrecks at the smallest negative information. But if the ukrainian counteroffensive fails after what seems to be an endless series of suicidal banzai attacks, everybody will be as shocked, as they where in March 2022, but this time about surprising russian prowess and as surprising ukrainian ineptitude. Everything could change in a couple of weeks even in the information war. And that could have an enormous impact of the western will to support Ukraine. An Ukraine with diminishing support from the west, destroyed strategic reserves and lost confidence would go toward a dismal future. A second large refuge wave westwards are just one, of many, possible consequences and there would also be a much increased risk for collapses at the front.

https://twitter.com/MikaelValterss1/status/1667213009012310019?s=20

Farewell
  • Options
    This is oliver alexander from Denmark another mainstream journalist.

Hard to say anything positive about this. After initially losing 4 M2A2 Bradley ODS-SA IFVs, 1 Leopard 2A6 and a BMR-2 armored demining vehicle in one location, 4 more M2A2 Bradley ODS-SA IFVs drove to the exact same position and started taking loses.

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1667190618248847360?s=20
  • Options
    Today we have seen Leopards, the previous “Game Changer”, burning in Ukraine. Remember all the hype and shaming Germany to give them out? It was the only thing Ukraine needed to win decisively! At least back then. I have long suspected that these mega hypes for game changers are actually there solely for the purpose to give the western public hope and drag the war out longer. This is how it works: 1) Situation looks dire for Ukraine. There’s no movement or Russia advances 2) Public opinion starts to shift towards negotiations and people are tired of the war 3) You make up a new story about a weapon that you announce to be the thing that will allow Ukraine to win. Just wait a bit and all will be great! -> Leopard tanks 3) This creates dialogue and hope. People are busy and discuss. Everybody gets excited. 4) After a while the weapon gets send to Ukraine and people trained to be operate them. 5) Everybody is excited to see the game changers, since that’s the decisive moment. But these weapons are held back. 6) Military leaders know that it’s all BS and just empty hype. So, what needs to be done? -> Introduce a new game changer that will allow Ukraine win decisively. But this needs to be hyped before the previous Game Changer is blown up. NOW: F16s 7) The old game changer fails on the battlefield. But it’s ok. Since there’s the new thing, that will come soon. -> Go to point 1) and repeat This just a game of public opinion management and consent manufacturing, to be able to avoid negotiations and drag out the war. They’re playing all of us.

https://twitter.com/MyLordBebo/status/1667259405929271307?s=20
  • Options

Hard to say anything positive about this. After initially losing 4 M2A2 Bradley ODS-SA IFVs, 1 Leopard 2A6 and a BMR-2 armored demining vehicle in one location, 4 more M2A2 Bradley ODS-SA IFVs drove to the exact same position and started taking loses.

Does it upset you that Ukraine has advanced further in one week that Russia did in the previous six months ?
  • Options
    Today, Putin confirmed the Ukrainian counter-offensive has begun. However, all Ukrainian attempts thus far have been unsuccessful and the AFU have suffered “significant losses” and the figures are “staggering”. The much anticipated counter-offensive has been a slaughter.

https://twitter.com/WarClandestine/status/1667294486580305920?s=20
  • Options

Yep looks like it. You do have to wonder at the mentality of those running these troll factories that they think PB is so important (sadly it isn't) that it has to have its weekly visitor.

The fact that they are so wasteful and uninformed with their propaganda gives some clue as to why the rest of their military machine has performed so abominably.
    You could extend that to how Russia as a whole performs as a country.
  • Options

I assume you guys only take this gig to avoid getting sent off to the front lines to be slaughtered along with all the other Russian 'volunteers'.
  • Options
    As predicted by military experts the casualty numbers of Ukrainian forces in the counter-offensive are over 10 to 1. They get slaughtered. Russia dominates with air superiority, 10x artillery advantage, mined battlefields, real-time targeting data for smart bombs and missiles.

https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/1667220822094925825?s=20
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Sean_F said:

That's a good article (if interminably long) - essentially TLDR: Ukraine and Russia will be mutually hostile indefinitely, and no military outcome will change that, Ukraine may well shift the current frontline but is unlikely to win decisively; Russia cannot win decisively at all without nukes and maybe not even with nukes; therefore a parallel diplomatic effort should be made to achieve an indefinite ceasefire coupled with an unambiguous US guarantee to Ukraine in the event of further fighting.

For those interested in the military detail, Tom Cooper (pro-Ukraine but tries to be factual) is interesting:

https://xxtomcooperxx.substack.com/p/ukraine-war-10-june-2023-minefields?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 944

Maybe it's seen as a perk not to have to spend their time slumming it on Twitter or Facebook for a change :-)

• Options
    This is the tweet of a ukrainian supporter.

Feel very low after watching Ukrainian losses. Want to watch Ukraine come out victorious in the end

4:18 PM · Jun 9, 2023

·

Views

https://twitter.com/VishnuBhadran93/status/1667189374579261440?s=20
  • Options

This is the tweet of a ukrainian supporter.

Feel very low after watching Ukrainian losses. Want to watch Ukraine come out victorious in the end

4:18 PM · Jun 9, 2023

·

Views

https://twitter.com/VishnuBhadran93/status/1667189374579261440?s=20

I love you. You are amazing.
  • Options
    So these two platforms are decimating the Leopards and the Bradley fighting vehicles with the Kornet ATGM system. Russian-tracked 9P162 Kornet-T anti-tank missile carrier and the KA-52 attack helicopter.

https://twitter.com/Retiremyass/status/1667170160073900038?s=20
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

A premier league (or potential premier league) club in a large prosperous city is always likely to be a decent investment if you don't overpay.*

A club with Leeds' record in a poorer locale wouldn't be.

* and if you have the resources never to be a forced seller.
    Leeds is the biggest one club city in the UK.

But isn't the market now more worldwide based ?

And to attract fair weather fans throughout the world then trophies need to be won.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,924
    edited June 2023
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

As I said:

Yes, there are some unusual aspects though concerning the Hindu vote in Leicester. There was a major purge of sitting councillors who tried to vote to end the directly elected mayor role, and it is a bit opaque what all that was about. I think that the dislike of Mayor Soulsby is partly that he is fairly classically Old Labour, but also because of his reaction to the Hindutva street disturbances last September.

There was also the fracas when Corbyn parachuted Webbe into Keith Vaz's old seat. A lot of locals objected quite strongly and went over to the Conservatives.

There is a lot of support for Modi amongst Leicester Hindus, who quite like his Hindu nationalist policies, but to offset that there is a particular dislike of it from Leicester's secular Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims, who are also numerous.

Overall, I would expect the small number of racists in the country who moved to REFUK and similar when Sunak was coronation to offset the pro-Hindutva vote for Sunak, to net out nationally, though there may be some constituencies where one side is more prominent.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Sean_F said:

That's a good article (if interminably long) - essentially TLDR: Ukraine and Russia will be mutually hostile indefinitely, and no military outcome will change that, Ukraine may well shift the current frontline but is unlikely to win decisively; Russia cannot win decisively at all without nukes and maybe not even with nukes; therefore a parallel diplomatic effort should be made to achieve an indefinite ceasefire coupled with an unambiguous US guarantee to Ukraine in the event of further fighting.

For those interested in the military detail, Tom Cooper (pro-Ukraine but tries to be factual) is interesting:

https://xxtomcooperxx.substack.com/p/ukraine-war-10-june-2023-minefields?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email
    No one has a problem with a negotiated settlement Nick. As long as that means Ukraine (all of Ukraine including Crimea and Donbass) gets to decide for themselves as a country who they align with. Joining NATO and the EU as they see fit and Russia has no input at all. That should be the absolute minimum.
  • Options
    The Ukrainians are apparently determined to continue feeding their men and NATO's armor into this new Zaporozhye meat-grinder. And, as widely predicted by many, neither the German Leopard 2A6 nor the American M2 Bradleys are a match for Russian firepower. This is a massacre.

https://twitter.com/imetatronink/status/1667160501955231744?s=20
  • Options

So these two platforms are decimating the Leopards and the Bradley fighting vehicles with the Kornet ATGM system. Russian-tracked 9P162 Kornet-T anti-tank missile carrier and the KA-52 attack helicopter.

https://twitter.com/Retiremyass/status/1667170160073900038?s=20

Your posts make me feel all tingly inside. A man has never made me feel that way before.
  • Options

It seems so!
  • Options
    Guys like Nick Palmer are right thete needs to be a negotiated settlement. This killing is senseless
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,012

The Ukrainians are apparently determined to continue feeding their men and NATO's armor into this new Zaporozhye meat-grinder. And, as widely predicted by many, neither the German Leopard 2A6 nor the American M2 Bradleys are a match for Russian firepower. This is a massacre.

Is this our less effective one yet? You've even spelt Zaporizhzhia the Russian way.
  • Options
    Do people on this site really want all the fighting age men of ukraine to be slaughtered.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,782
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

As I said:

No.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,641
    This one just seems to be on transmit mode.

That's no fun.
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

As I said:

No.
    You've never met a racist? Lucky you.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Is this our less effective one yet? You've even spelt Zaporizhzhia the Russian way.
    AAAND he's gone.

Byeee!!!
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,012

Do people on this site really want all the fighting age men of ukraine to be slaughtered.

Do you have any recommendations for a small corded vaccuum cleaner? I don't have the budget for a fancy dyson cordless one.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Except Charles III.

Which is richly ironic given the bile we read about from republicans on here.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,670

No.

Only one man can stop the slaughter of these Ukrainian men and that is the repressed homosexual Vladimir Putin.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,966
    Eabhal said:

Do you have any recommendations for a small corded vaccuum cleaner? I don't have the budget for a fancy dyson cordless one.
    I got a Black and Decker as my flatmate refused to countenance a Brexit-supporting Dyson. It’s OK. It’s not as good as a Dyson.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

As I said:

No.
    You desperately want all Conservatives or Conservative-inclined voters to be racist because this would conveniently fit your world view.

Unfortunately for you, it's not true; your prejudices are just that.
  • Options

No. So tell your masters to lay down their arms and call a halt to it.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

As I said:

No.
    You desperately want all Conservatives or Conservative-inclined voters to be racist because this would conveniently fit your world view.

Not all, but do you think there might be a minority, perhaps 1-2% of the country, who won't vote for a non-white PM?
  • Options
    Can someone go undercover at ConHome and see if they have regular Russian trolls?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

As I said:

No.

No, I really don't want that. I thought my questions were perfectly valid and entirely within the spirit of the topic under discussion.

I am 100% certain that the number of people who will refuse to vote for a person of colour is greater than zero. The only question is, how significant is that number?

That is my engaging with HYUFD's point on its own terms. You can't talk about electoral boosts without also talking about electoral drawbacks. If you want to get to the truth of whether something has a positive or negative effect, you have to make an assessment of both.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

As I said:

Yes, there are some unusual aspects though concerning the Hindu vote in Leicester. There was a major purge of sitting councillors who tried to vote to end the directly elected mayor role, and it is a bit opaque what all that was about. I think that the dislike of Mayor Soulsby is partly that he is fairly classically Old Labour, but also because of his reaction to the Hindutva street disturbances last September.

There was also the fracas when Corbyn parachuted Webbe into Keith Vaz's old seat. A lot of locals objected quite strongly and went over to the Conservatives.

There is a lot of support for Modi amongst Leicester Hindus, who quite like his Hindu nationalist policies, but to offset that there is a particular dislike of it from Leicester's secular Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims, who are also numerous.

Overall, I would expect the small number of racists in the country who moved to REFUK and similar when Sunak was coronation to offset the pro-Hindutva vote for Sunak, to net out nationally, though there may be some constituencies where one side is more prominent.
    An interesting seat to me is Harrow East, which I suspect the Conservatives will hold, on the basis of what is now a huge Indian Conservative vote. Bob Blackman was ahead of the curve, by cultivating that community, over the course of thirty years. Brent North might also move back into play, at some point.

There always was an Indian Conservative vote in both seats, but in the 90's and 00's, demographic change outpaced the growth of that vote. Now, that vote seems to have grown sufficiently to outpace demographic change.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,056
    edited June 2023

DougSeal said:

Except Charles III.

Which is richly ironic given the bile we read about from republicans on here.
    On a point of psephological principle, +19 is not "very much". "Very much" would be, say, +50 plus. Edit: or indeed +71.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

As I said:

No.

Not all, but do you think there might be a minority, perhaps 1-2% of the country, who won't vote for a non-white PM?
    There will always 1 to 2 % of population who will find a reason not to vote for a candidate.

Apparently you hear every so often in focus
    groups men saying we shouldn’t have women PMs simply because they might get emotional at that time of the month and make bad decisions.
This discussion has been closed.