Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Where do we even start? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,716
edited June 2023 in General
Where do we even start? – politicalbetting.com

Labour open 1/8 favourites to win the Uxbridge & South Ruislip by-electionhttps://t.co/B5t9CIDMer pic.twitter.com/GqTXoh846U

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,626
    Gentleman's First.

How does the Conservative Party-Media nexus respond?
    Some important bits seem content to follow Boris into embittered madness.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,164
    FPT:

Two points spring to mind:

*) Even if this is the end of BJ's political career, he will not go quietly. He will spend years writing articles and appearing on TV moaning about how all his successors are doing things wrong. Think Heath on acid.

*) Back when he was MoL, I decided that BJ was unsuitable for high office. It's interesting that his downfall have been due not to bad governance, but the character flaws that were all too visible then. A propensity to help his mates; a tendency to ignore advice; a habit of non-cooperation with critics. An obfuscation of the truth. A policy of spreading mistruths and bluster. All these were plainly visible in the Garden Bridge debacle.
  • Options
    On the other hand: I think BJ did excellently over Ukraine. His instincts and actions were correct. And I think he played the policy of Covid fairly well, given there were no 'right' answers, and the vaccines excellently.

And those two events dominated his premiership.

I still quite like BJ; he has an appealing cheeky-chappy persona (although I know that drives some people nuts). But someone being likable does not mean they'll be a good PM or leader.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,495
    Cons have got to be value in Mid Beds at that price unless Johnson stands.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,426
    "it wouldn’t be the first time Boris Johnson tried to sneak into Beds where he doesn’t belong"

Very good! :)
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,643
    It feels like there is a piece of the jigsaw missing. What changed yesterday that made resignation (or two resignations) urgent? Boris's resignation statement — https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65863336 — reads like a first draft; it is overlong, repetitive and incoherent, which suggests it was dashed off in a hurry; it is not the work of a man who used to write short, punchy columns for a living. What changed? The Privileges Committee report has been anticipated for weeks if not months, so that can't be it.
  • Options

It feels like there is a piece of the jigsaw missing. What changed yesterday that made resignation (or two resignations) urgent? Boris's resignation statement — https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65863336 — reads like a first draft; it is overlong, repetitive and incoherent, which suggests it was dashed off in a hurry; it is not the work of a man who used to write short, punchy columns for a living. What changed? The Privileges Committee report has been anticipated for weeks if not months, so that can't be it.

Perhaps Sunak told Johnson he was going to whip the Tories to vote for sanctions?

It was obvious he would, but it may not have been obvious to Johnson.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,702

Gentleman's First.

How does the Conservative Party-Media nexus respond?
    Some important bits seem content to follow Boris into embittered madness.

Or, alternatively, quitting before they are pushed.
  • Options

FPT:

*) Even if this is the end of BJ's political career, he will not go quietly. He will spend years writing articles and appearing on TV moaning about how all his successors are doing things wrong. Think Heath on acid.

*) Back when he was MoL, I decided that BJ was unsuitable for high office. It's interesting that his downfall have been due not to bad governance, but the character flaws that were all too visible then. A propensity to help his mates; a tendency to ignore advice; a habit of non-cooperation with critics. An obfuscation of the truth. A policy of spreading mistruths and bluster. All these were plainly visible in the Garden Bridge debacle.

Ultimately, character is destiny. Johnson's character, especially his willingness to say what was needed to be liked, made him formidable at winning elections but totally unsuited to governing after his victory.

Back in his pomp, about two years ago, people talked about Boris Derangement Syndrome. The idea that his enemies were driven mad by his success and couldn't respond properly to his brilliance.

Who is looking deranged now?
    Them’s the breaks…
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nah.

The LibDems are brilliant at these sort of wins. Don't waste your money folks.

The required swing to the LibDems will only just put it into the top 25 by-election gains, but I expect the actual swing to be over 30%.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_by-election_records

It will be two crushing by-election losses for the tories, one to the LibDems, the other to Labour.

Of course, we've seen huge by-election opposition wins before but it's the fact that it's <16 months from the next GE that should cause alarm.
  • Options

FPT:

Ultimately, character is destiny. Johnson's character, especially his willingness to say what was needed to be liked, made him formidable at winning elections but totally unsuited to governing after his victory.

Back in his pomp, about two years ago, people talked about Boris Derangement Syndrome. The idea that his enemies were driven mad by his success and couldn't respond properly to his brilliance.

TBF, I think BDS was a real thing. He seemed to drive his opponents absolutely bonkers. Which was a shame, as there was plenty of real stuff to criticise him for.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,643

FPT:

I lost money when Boris was elected leader. I miscalculated that Conservative MPs would not elect a man so clearly unsuited to high office, and who was open to the same criticisms they were making of then-Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn. I was wrong and so were they.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Perhaps Sunak told Johnson he was going to whip the Tories to vote for sanctions?

Even on a free vote, Bozza was toast.
  • Options

On the other hand: I think BJ did excellently over Ukraine. .

Did he though?

1 The UK-US should NOT have withdrawn in the manner we did from Afghanistan, and if Boris had been on the ball he'd have stopped Biden doing it. Our chaotic, sloppy, hasty departure greenlit Putin for his Ukraine invasion.

2. We should have been far more robust at the outset and put a no-fly zone in place. Period. Stand up to bullies. Maggie would have.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,901
    edited June 2023
    Interesting interview in the Guardian with Elliot Page, on his book Pageboy:

"We hear so much about gender dysphoria, I say – have you experienced any body euphoria since transitioning? His face creases into an ecstatic smile. “To be honest, Simon, I experience it every single day when I wake up in the morning. When I say that I was always consumed by discomfort, I mean it. So the fact that I get up in the morning and get out of bed and stretch like this [he extends his arms to their full length] – that to me is body euphoria.” "

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jun/10/elliot-page-juno-hollywoods-dark-side-coming-out-twice
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Did he though?

1 The UK-US should NOT have withdrawn in the manner we did from Afghanistan, and if Boris had been on the ball he'd have stopped Biden doing it. Our chaotic, sloppy, hasty departure greenlit Putin for his Ukraine invasion.

2. We should have been far more robust at the outset and put a no-fly zone in place. Period. Stand up to bullies. Maggie would have.
    1. I don't think any UK PM would have had much influence over the Afghan withdrawal. The US wanted to do it, so it was done. Unless you're saying that the UK should have remained there alone?

2. Perhaps. But a no-fly zone was always going to be a massive step towards escalation. Instead, the UK has been leading the smaller steps - from NLAWs and training to tanks and long-range missiles (a couple of these after BJ, admittedly).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,559

FPT:

Yes. The rambling, self-pitying rage of his resignation statement reflects his own derangement, as he comes to terms with the reality of his political career as against his childhood dream of becoming the new Churchill...
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Heathener said:

Did he though?

By the way, whilst praising Maggie, something similar happened with the Falklands.

It was her Government's announcement of defence cuts, particularly the navy, that greenlit the Argentinians to invade.

But, whether or not you think Britain had a valid right to the islands the fact is that under UN law they did, so her response with the task force was pure Margaret Thatcher.

I'd like to think Maggie would have been equally as robust from the outset with Putin. A No Fly Zone was a necessity.
  • Options

FPT:

On point 1, clearly Johnson is a columnist at heart and will write many, many opinion pieces in the future.

But for that to make wider news, rather than just being throwaway stuff for Torygraph readers to froth over at breakfast, he surely has to maintain the position that he's not an ex-politician, but merely resting before his triumphant return.

Even then it gradually fades. Anthony Seldon yesterday on Newsnight made the comparison with Lloyd-George who, right up to the Second World War, entertained and encouraged fantasies about a second coming (indeed, he was offered a fairly minor role in Churchill's War Cabinet). But it was diminishing returns in terms of maintaining public interest, really, as the circus had moved on it was increasingly clear there was no route for him - and he was at least doing it from the Commons.

I struggle to see much more than a death spiral of reducing interest ahead for Johnson. It's hard to see what the realistic route back for him now, as even a future Tory leader in the Johnson mould (perhaps especially such a leader) won't want him returning to Westminster to be a thorn in their side, and he's burned too many bridges to be viable.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,311
    edited June 2023
    ydoethur said:

I think it possible that the Tories come third in both by elections.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Even on a free vote, Bozza was toast.
    Again, I agree, but would he have realised that?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Did he though?

A no fly zone would have required bombing airfields actually inside Russia.

That was not going to happen unless they first directly attacked NATO.
  • Options

FPT:

On point 1, clearly Johnson is a columnist at heart and will write many, many opinion pieces in the future.

But for that to make wider news, rather than just being throwaway stuff for Torygraph readers to froth over at breakfast, he surely has to maintain the position that he's not an ex-politician, but merely resting before his triumphant return.

Even then it gradually fades. Anthony Seldon yesterday on Newsnight made the comparison with Lloyd-George who, right up to the Second World War, entertained and encouraged fantasies about a second coming (indeed, he was offered a fairly minor role in Churchill's War Cabinet). But it was diminishing returns in terms of maintaining public interest, really, as the circus had moved on it was increasingly clear there was no route for him - and he was at least doing it from the Commons.

I struggle to see much more than a death spiral of reducing interest ahead for Johnson. It's hard to see what the realistic route back for him now, as even a future Tory leader in the Johnson mould (perhaps especially such a leader) won't want him returning to Westminster to be a thorn in their side, and he's burned too many bridges to be viable.
    Though Johnson is not lacking in self belief. He will see this as his wilderness years before a greatful nation calls him back to lead us to the sunlit uplands.

Completely delusional of course.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    IanB2 said:

FPT:

Yes. The rambling, self-pitying rage of his resignation statement reflects his own derangement, as he comes to terms with the reality of his political career as against his childhood dream of becoming the new Churchill...
    He closely resembles Churchill.

A drunken, lying populist with zero judgement and a penchant for bellicose rhetoric who ultimately has neither judgement nor intellect in sufficient quantities to be a significant player in normal circumstances.*

Johnson's problem is that it seems unlikely that he will happen on one salient issue, by chance, and it become the defining issue of our times. Brexit was closest but not close enough.

*In one way of course Churchill was very different - with all his faults, he wasn't lazy.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Did he though?

By the way, whilst praising Maggie, something similar happened with the Falklands.

It was her Government's announcement of defence cuts, particularly the navy, that greenlit the Argentinians to invade.

But, whether or not you think Britain had a valid right to the islands the fact is that under UN law they did, so her response with the task force was pure Margaret Thatcher.

I'd like to think Maggie would have been equally as robust from the outset with Putin. A No Fly Zone was a necessity.
    A No Fly Zone would have been a declaration of war, and a war not likely to remain conventional very long.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,559
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

A drunken, lying populist with zero judgement and a penchant for bellicose rhetoric who ultimately has neither judgement nor intellect in sufficient quantities to be a significant player in normal circumstances.*

Johnson's problem is that it seems unlikely that he will happen on one salient issue, by chance, and it become the defining issue of our times. Brexit was closest but not close enough.

*In one way of course Churchill was very different - with all his faults, he wasn't lazy.
    And with interest in and attention to detail.

And in being principled, even if some of those principles were peculiar.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Did he though?

IIRC you were against arming Ukraine in the run up to the war, in the grounds that it would inflame the situation.

As several people pointed out, a no-fly zone would require armed NATO aircraft to directly confront armed Russian aircraft.

Further Russian long range SAMs and air to air missiles could be fired at aircraft over Ukraine from deep inside Russia.

To defend themselves, aircraft enforcing the no-fly zone would need to fire when targeted, not when attacked. So they would need to shoot first, probably *into* Russia.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

And with interest in and attention to detail.

And in being principled, even if some of those principles were peculiar.
    Churchill wasn't principled. He was like Corbyn - he claimed to be principled, but actually frequently changed his mind on things and mysteriously, did so to his own advantage.

Points of principle he changed his mind on include Free Trade, Socialism, the gold standard, Ireland, India, not resisting aggressive dictators...

The key thing about Churchill is not that he was principled, or even that he was right. It was that he happened to be right about Hitler.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

I am no Churchill hagiographer, but Churchill was a major political figure before his wilderness years, including most of the senior cabinet roles. He was certainly a "significant player" even if he had never made his 1940 comeback.
    How would you define 'senior cabinet role' prior to World War II? Serious question.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

I am no Churchill hagiographer, but Churchill was a major political figure before his wilderness years, including most of the senior cabinet roles. He was certainly a "significant player" even if he had never made his 1940 comeback.
    Arguably, Churchill had 4 political careers…

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2023
    A wonderful Summer morning, all.

What a day o joyous news.

Boris out, Trump in trouble, and, best of all, is..

""Miracle" children found alive 40 days after Amazon crash !" One of those days where all the sacrificed grimness of winter is worth it, and it's great to be alive.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,389
    The best service Boris could do his Party is to stfu. He won't and this will be history repeating itself. It will be 1997 all.over again.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,718
    Is Mid-Bed going to be another Christchurch?

I don't know. But I certainly wouldn't rule out backing the Conservatives at any price.

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,202
    Boris Johnson is a tragic figure. It's hard not to feel a little bit sorry for someone so acutely unaware of his own failings. As I've always said, the real opprobrium should be reserved for the Conservative party and it's MPs, who foisted this damaged and wholly unsuitable man on us when they knew damn well what he was like. If they pay an electoral price for that it will be entirely deserved.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023

I don't know. But I certainly wouldn't rule out backing the Conservatives at any price.

Judging by ladbrokes odds the Tories are friendless in the markets. Lib Dems into 1-3
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Foxy said:

Interesting interview in the Guardian with Elliot Page, on his book Pageboy:

"We hear so much about gender dysphoria, I say – have you experienced any body euphoria since transitioning? His face creases into an ecstatic smile. “To be honest, Simon, I experience it every single day when I wake up in the morning. When I say that I was always consumed by discomfort, I mean it. So the fact that I get up in the morning and get out of bed and stretch like this [he extends his arms to their full length] – that to me is body euphoria.” "

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jun/10/elliot-page-juno-hollywoods-dark-side-coming-out-twice

Conversely the times, June 4

When Ritchie Herron woke after gender reassignment surgery, he had a feeling he had made a terrible mistake.

Five years later, his scars still sometimes weep and he cannot walk long distances or ride a bike. “I’ve awakened from what was a mental health crisis, to a body that will be for ever changed and damaged,” he said. He no longer identifies as transgender and is living as a gay man “as best I can, given what has happened”.

There's always anecdotes.
  • Options
    Did the Ashcroft Boris to hold on poll ask the question about a non-boris Tory candidate?
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,033

The best service Boris could do his Party is to stfu. He won't and this will be history repeating itself. It will be 1997 all.over again.

I think it’ll be 2024 for the first time, rather than something else all over again.

I’m not saying that to be flippant (and the scale of the victory could indeed be similar to 97); the circumstances of the coming election don’t really mirror those of any other; Spaffer is likely to make it weirder still, somehow.

As to service to his party; I think we can all agree that his own self - his comfort, image and legacy - is the only thing he ever acts in service towards.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Judging by ladbrokes odds the Tories are friendless in the markets. Lib Dems into 1-3
    If the Tories slip to 4/1 I'd buy.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,440
    edited June 2023
    Chris Bryant has just said on Sky that the privileges report will be presented to parliament and voted on

He also said that this would prevent him standing for parliament in the future

It is essential the report is published so we can all see just how malign he is, and no matter our politics it is essential we all endorse the privileges committee and reject Johnson's attack on it and his personal attack on Harriet Harman

All avenues to his return must be closed off
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Too short. I wouldn't back that even with the current incompetent Tories.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,105
    Good Morning everyone.

Is this the end of Boris Johnson as a significant political figure? I think not, his attitude now exactly mirrors his long-ago school report about being affronted when his activities are called into question. And we have, so far, made no mention of what may be a power behind the throne; Carrie. Will she be satisfied with being the wife of a ‘has been’ politician turned occasional public speaker?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

How would you define 'senior cabinet role' prior to World War II? Serious question.
    President of the Board of Trade
    Home Secretary
    First Lord of the Admiralty
    Minister for Munitions (during WW1)
    SoS for War
    SoS for Air
    SoS for the Colonies
    Chancellor of the Exchequer

All before 1930. A significant player surely.
    That's a list of the roles he served in, not a definition.

Here's the thing. Until World War II and the Attlee government, generally cabinet roles were not defined by pecking order but by the status of the man who held them. The big exceptions were Foreign Secretary and Lord Chancellor. So, for example, from 1924 to 1929 Willy Bridgeman was Baldwin's acknowledged deputy while Neville Chamberlain was considered the second most influential member of the government. One was First Lord of the Admiralty and the other Minister of Health. Similarly, from 1911-14 the person non-radical Liberals considered Asquith's most plausible successor was John Simon - the Attorney General.

The issue with Churchill was because of his rhetoric, flamboyance and journalistic career he was very popular and visible among the public. So he was kept in various roles for that reason. But he wasn't trusted. First Asquith, then Lloyd George and finally Baldwin generally kept him on a tight leash (and given what he did when they let him off the leash, in the South Wales riots or the Dardanelles, they were wise to do so). You will notice, for example, he was never considered for the Foreign Office.

Neville Chamberlain, in advising Baldwin on forming his 1924 cabinet, commented that while politically desirable to have Churchill for his high profile, there would undoubtedly be an outcry in the parliamentary party. 'however, I did not think it would be greater if he were at the Treasury than the Admiralty.' Churchill was genuinely surprised and much moved to be offered a department and not a roving role like Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster.

You can easily draw more than a superficial parallel with Johnson on that basis. However, there are some very important differences. First of all, Churchill did have some substance to back up his rhetoric. He was never only a journalist. He was also a soldier and even a diplomat. Second, he was never lazy and while he drank far more than he should have done he was not otherwise self-indulgent or a narcissist. Finally, Churchill was willing to abandon parties lightly and for reasons that were clearly spurious, but he didn't dip in and out of the House of Commons as it suited him (although he was briefly outside it in 1908 and from 1922-24 due to losing his seat) nor did he run from a fight.

Ultimately, I think Johnson saw only the results he wanted and never thought about how he would need to work to get them. Whatever his other faults and as you can probably tell, I'm no fan, Churchill was willing to make the effort where needed and where he thought it was worth it.

His judgement on most such choices was completely wrong. But, on Hitler, it happened to be right. Maybe it was an accident but it was a fortunate accident.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Dispassionately, I suspect there’ll be some decent value in backing the Tories in both by-elections. Mid Beds at 2.5 or better I’d judge to be good value.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,821
    SNP leader accuses Westminster of “third rate political soap opera”,

He has a point: it’s pretty pathetic compared to Holyrood. Where are the police vans? The sudden arrests? The secret mobile home? Westminster does need to do better…

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1667402122881540096?s=20
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,982
    I think the Tories may hold Mid Beds relatively comfortably. Labour is unlikely to give the LDs a clear run because local activists will not allow it - not just in the constituency itself, but it ones nearby. That should be enough to let the Tories through on a much reduced vote share.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

I don't think that's fair.

It was leadership, not rhetoric. Remember the atrocious management of our defences and the war effort before he took office.

He did the rhetoric, yes, that's part of it, but also combined the offices of PM and Minister of Defence into one, scrapped the myriad of bureaucratic Whitehall committees that had previously been badly managing the war effort piecemeal, fully mobilised the whole economy for it, and focused all decision-making on a small tight war cabinet that met several times a day and demanded "action this day".

That's leadership. Churchill was a romantic but he was no fool.
    You're talking about the war. He had a long career before the war.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Pulpstar said:

Dispassionately, I suspect there’ll be some decent value in backing the Tories in both by-elections. Mid Beds at 2.5 or better I’d judge to be good value.
    It's probably the case that, right now, the Tories couldn't hold in any by-election anywhere but they certainly don't have 0% chance.

A 20-25% chance to hold onto a very safe seat they've had for decades isn't unfathomable.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,065

Heathener said:

Did he though?

IIRC you were against arming Ukraine in the run up to the war, in the grounds that it would inflame the situation.

As several people pointed out, a no-fly zone would require armed NATO aircraft to directly confront armed Russian aircraft.

Further Russian long range SAMs and air to air missiles could be fired at aircraft over Ukraine from deep inside Russia.

To defend themselves, aircraft enforcing the no-fly zone would need to fire when targeted, not when attacked. So they would need to shoot first, probably *into* Russia.
    There are now so many SAM systems in theatre that we've almost got an NFZ anyway with both sides doing very little tactical aviation for fear of being shot down either by the opposition or in a blue-on-blue.
  • Options

Good Morning everyone.

Is this the end of Boris Johnson as a significant political figure? I think not, his attitude now exactly mirrors his long-ago school report about being affronted when his activities are called into question. And we have, so far, made no mention of what may be a power behind the throne; Carrie. Will she be satisfied with being the wife of a ‘has been’ politician turned occasional public speaker?

Can the Tories have a candidate run if the leader opposes it? I don’t see Sunak ever letting Johnson become an MP again under his leadership - and what incentive would any successor to him have to allow it?

• Options

Good Morning everyone.

Can the Tories have a candidate run if the leader opposes it? I don’t see Sunak ever letting Johnson become an MP again under his leadership - and what incentive would any successor to him have to allow it?

I don't believe so. Howard blocked Jonathan Aitken, for example.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896

Good Morning everyone.

I think he’s going to have to be satisfied by that. Unless he decides to be a new Farage and attempt to start a new party (or team up with Farage to do so), he’s done for. And what a relief that is. He was a danger.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,207
    I suspect Boris won't stand in either seat, Mid Beds is too risky given a potential LD by election gain there and Uxbridge would go Labour on the current national polls.

Most likely he will sit Parliament out for a year or two, let Sunak and Hunt lose the next general election (he will hope reasonably heavily) and come back in a safe Tory seat in opposition if the Starmer government is unpopular and the economy still facing high inflation and even more frequent strikes
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,916

Chris Bryant has just said on Sky that the privileges report will be presented to parliament and voted on

It is essential the report is published so we can all see just how malign he is, and no matter our politics it is essential we all endorse the privileges committee and reject Johnson's attack on it and his personal attack on Harriet Harman

I don’t see how Johnson can be prevented from standing for Parliament in the future. That seems erroneous.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The comparison offered by Seldon on Newsnight is Lloyd George, who hung around after being ousted looking for another opportunity that never came.

I also liked Parnell's comment that his resignation letter was like a toddler reacting to being told there were no more biscuits and it is time for bed....
    I thought the Lloyd-George comparison was a good one.

A difference, however, is that Lloyd-George remained an MP and the 1920s and 1930s were an odd, fractured and shifting period in British politics. So, although it was increasingly unlikely the roulette wheel would come round for DLG again, he was still at the table and available at any moment to present himself as the answer to whatever crisis it was.

I do struggle with what Johnson's route is. There is a fairly heavy incentive for Tory leaders to make a return to Parliament difficult, and without that he can't really be the solution to some kind of crisis, as he simply isn't there.
  • Options

Boris Johnson is a tragic figure. It's hard not to feel a little bit sorry for someone so acutely unaware of his own failings. As I've always said, the real opprobrium should be reserved for the Conservative party and it's MPs, who foisted this damaged and wholly unsuitable man on us when they knew damn well what he was like. If they pay an electoral price for that it will be entirely deserved.

Yes, exactly. Every Tory who backed Johnson knew he was a lying, bone idle grifter only interested in himself. What on earth did they expect to happen?

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,207
    edited June 2023

They did it to beat Corbyn after Labour elected that 'wholly unsuitable man' to be their leader in 2015 and if it was not for Boris trouncing him in 2019 to get Brexit done may still be Labour leader now, even PM in a hung parliament
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I suspect Boris won't stand in either seat, Mid Beds is too risky given a potential LD by election gain there and Uxbridge would go Labour on the current national polls.

Most likely he will sit Parliament out for a year or two, let Sunak and Hunt lose the next general election (he will hope reasonably heavily) and come back in a safe Tory seat in opposition if the Starmer government is unpopular and the economy still facing high inflation and even more frequent strikes

I don't see him ever returning to Parliament. Howling at the moon through a series of lecture tours and newspaper columns would be (a) easier (b) more lucrative and (c) much more emotionally satisfying for him.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,535

I think the Tories may hold Mid Beds relatively comfortably. Labour is unlikely to give the LDs a clear run because local activists will not allow it - not just in the constituency itself, but it ones nearby. That should be enough to let the Tories through on a much reduced vote share.

Sadly, I think I agree. Would be lovely to be wrong!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The comparison offered by Seldon on Newsnight is Lloyd George, who hung around after being ousted looking for another opportunity that never came.

I also liked Parnell's comment that his resignation letter was like a toddler reacting to being told there were no more biscuits and it is time for bed....
    I thought the Lloyd-George comparison was a good one.

A difference, however, is that Lloyd-George remained an MP and the 1920s and 1930s were an odd, fractured and shifting period in British politics. So, although it was increasingly unlikely the roulette wheel would come round for DLG again, he was still at the table and available at any moment to present himself as the answer to whatever crisis it was.

I do struggle with what Johnson's route is. There is a fairly heavy incentive for Tory leaders to make a return to Parliament difficult, and without that he can't really be the solution to some kind of crisis, as he simply isn't there.
    Lloyd George was very nearly brought back into government in 1935 as Foreign Secretary and Churchill was willing to offer him a War Cabinet post in 1940. He was also offered the chance to become Leader of the Opposition in 1931 with Labour support. Each time he declined the opportunity.
  • Options

This will be key - though I think given the appearance of Uxbridge now too makes an informal pact more likely, as the LDs give Labour a clear run there.

It *is* easy to forget that the rivalry between the Lib Dems and Labour can often be deep and vicious at local level.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896

It’ll depend how quickly opinion settles on the anti-Tory candidate in each constituency. It seems that already within hours the by-election commentary list has decided it’s Labour in Uxbridge and LD in Mid Beds.

If the consensus on the ground becomes Lib Dem in Mid Beds and focus leaflets start bombarding doormats then it won’t matter whether Labour push hard (as they did in N Shropshire).
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,081

Johnson was so deluded that he might have thought the committee would no longer publish the report and he could play the martyr and return at a later date . Couldn’t agree more with your final sentence .
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,337

Good Morning everyone.

If the answer to that question (and I don’t know) is “no” and a high profile, avowedly anti-Sunak, candidate is selected, let alone elected, then the damage that causes this Government would be unsurvivable.
  • Options

If Mid Beds were happening in isolation, yes. But given campaigns in Mid Beds and Uxbridge at the same time, it seems obvious for activists to go where they are most useful. Get on the winning side, as some incoming leaflets will presumably put it.

Not a sordid deal to give the other lot a clear run at the Tories, but a pragmatic stewardship of finite campaigning resources.
  • Options

Good Morning everyone.

I think that is certainly how he sees himself. Can´t speak for the current Mrs Johnson.

However, I am skeptical about how much agency he has in his career now: the current (and any likely future) Conservative Party leadership will fight tooth and nail to keep him from standing again as a Conservative candidate, and the view of the voters is quite a bit more negative. So even if nominated, he could lose and I do not think he will be nominated.

He is finished.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,402

On the other hand: I think BJ did excellently over Ukraine. His instincts and actions were correct. And I think he played the policy of Covid fairly well, given there were no 'right' answers, and the vaccines excellently.

And those two events dominated his premiership.

I still quite like BJ; he has an appealing cheeky-chappy persona (although I know that drives some people nuts). But someone being likable does not mean they'll be a good PM or leader.

As you allude, to many of us he is distinctly dislikeable. All the faux attributions you view as assets like the "cheeky chappy persona" and the clubbable buffoon are like the rest of the man's life, all lies. As Eddie Maier charged to Johnson, "you are a nasty piece of work".
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

I don't see him ever returning to Parliament. Howling at the moon through a series of lecture tours and newspaper columns would be (a) easier (b) more lucrative and (c) much more emotionally satisfying for him.
    I agree, and also think there is a heavy incentive for any Tory leader (even one in his mould) to keep him out of the Commons.

Further, I don't think getting in at a by-election would necessarily be that easy, even mid term in a Labour Government. The Lib Dems would REALLY go after him as a carpet-bagging shyster who partied while your gran was dying, and there's a pretty big risk people would block his comeback for sh1ts and giggles - by-elections are circuses.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,056

SNP leader accuses Westminster of “third rate political soap opera”,

He has a point: it’s pretty pathetic compared to Holyrood. Where are the police vans? The sudden arrests? The secret mobile home? Westminster does need to do better…

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1667402122881540096?s=20

No fines or convictions, though. Rather a difference.
  • Options

Yes, exactly. Every Tory who backed Johnson knew he was a lying, bone idle grifter only interested in himself. What on earth did they expect to happen?

Best ask the PM and deputy PM that.
  • Options

I don’t see how Johnson can be prevented from standing for Parliament in the future. That seems erroneous.
    I agree. I think he gets elected and then faces a recall petition.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Luvvin all those Tories who were ether largely or entirely complicit in the resistible rise of BJ now stumbling into the sunlight professing bewilderment as to how we’ve reached this point.

I suppose if you’re caught naked and in flagrante with a Dyson, denial is the only option.

I believe Hoover Dustette was/is the preferred brand with our more gammony boomers. More 1950s and 100% British make. (I remember seeing one in my younger days and being very surprised by the warning instructions.)

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co49043/hoover-dustette-vacuum-cleaner-vacuum-cleaner
  • Options
    TimS said:

Good Morning everyone.

I think he’s going to have to be satisfied by that. Unless he decides to be a new Farage and attempt to start a new party (or team up with Farage to do so), he’s done for. And what a relief that is. He was a danger.
    While it would be fun to see a Farage-Bozzer alliance descend very quickly into disaster I think it’s a non-starter. Each man must be king and cannot brook power-sharing.

A new party - MEGA English nationalists or similar, especially as there is a BXP/UKIP void is not adequately filled by Reclorm or Reflaim - might be possible, though. Someone else would need to do the hard work, mind.

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,703
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

It is what I like about pb - good posts by @ydoethur and @HYUFD. I want to agree with both even though they are contradictory
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,882

Luvvin all those Tories who were ether largely or entirely complicit in the resistible rise of BJ now stumbling into the sunlight professing bewilderment as to how we’ve reached this point.

I suppose if you’re caught naked and in flagrante with a Dyson, denial is the only option.

They're just gonna have to suck it up.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    DougSeal said:

Good Morning everyone.

If the answer to that question (and I don’t know) is “no” and a high profile, avowedly anti-Sunak, candidate is selected, let alone elected, then the damage that causes this Government would be unsurvivable.
    Johnson was obviously hoping to instigate a Tory groundswell against Sunak; a last throw of the dice.

The early indications are that he’s failed spectacularly and Sunak is likely to emerge stronger than before - that is in terms of his control of the Party. He’s still almost certainly going to lose the next election, and the by-elections as well.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Good Morning everyone.

I don't believe so. Howard blocked Jonathan Aitken, for example.
    I thought so. I just don’t see the incentive for any Tory leader to let him back. What’s the upside of allowing it?

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Cicero said:

Good Morning everyone.

I think that is certainly how he sees himself. Can´t speak for the current Mrs Johnson.

However, I am skeptical about how much agency he has in his career now: the current (and any likely future) Conservative Party leadership will fight tooth and nail to keep him from standing again as a Conservative candidate, and the view of the voters is quite a bit more negative. So even if nominated, he could lose and I do not think he will be nominated.

He is finished.
    Under his own rules, he would have to sign up to the Nolan principles and be vetted for suitability before being a candidate:

https://public.conservatives.com/static/documents/candidates/Guide to becoming a Conservative Party Parliamentary Candidate-HH.pdf

That simply can't happen if he's been censured like this. He might have been allowed to contest a by-election after recall, but this has blown up his chances.

I'm thinking he does actually resemble Churchill very closely in that - but it's Randolph Churchill's insane resignation in 1886 I am thinking of.
  • Options

Best ask the PM and deputy PM that.
    Yep - they’re very overt backing for Johnson does rather weaken the attacks on Starmer over Corbyn.

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797

Surely most of us here aren't in a position to judge what the "activists" will do? A lot will be driven by who the organiser and candidate are. It's easy to have a local campaign soft pedal even if the footsoldiers are raring to go because the footsoldiers will take their orders from the local lieutenants and captains.
    So unless we know the disposition of the candidate and her organiser, we can't be sure.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Still some scope for being selected bu a friendly local convener and constituency association, with a very nasty CA vs CCHQ row as starters.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Miklosvar said:

I think Chris Bryant's argument doesn't quite work, because of the possible sequencing.

1. The Committee publishes its report, and says that e.g. he should be suspended for 3 weeks. As he isn't an MP, this is damaging but ultimately irrelevant.
    2. Mid-Beds selects Johnson. He wins.
    3. He returns to Parliament, and there are calls for the suspension to be applied, triggering a fresh recall.

I don't think that would pass the Commons - they'd feel it's retrospective and would extend the coap opera. But if they did:

4. Mid-Beds is asked to vote again. Exasperated, they vote Boris back in.

There is plenty of evidence that voters don't like being asked to reconsider immediately.
  • Options

If Mid Beds were happening in isolation, yes. But given campaigns in Mid Beds and Uxbridge at the same time, it seems obvious for activists to go where they are most useful. Get on the winning side, as some incoming leaflets will presumably put it.

Not a sordid deal to give the other lot a clear run at the Tories, but a pragmatic stewardship of finite campaigning resources.
    Agreed. See also Wakefield alongside Tiverton & Honiton.
  • Options

Labour clearly won't stand down their candidate in Mid Beds, but they didn't in Chesham, Shropshire or Tiverton either. But rather obviously Labour activists have a better place to be further south (potentially further north as well, if the Rutherglen by-election comes through promptly). It pretty quickly becomes obvious on the ground who the challenger is, and will in Mid Beds. So I cannot see a heavily split vote - Labour will be flirting with a lost deposit.

I agree the markets overstate the Lib Dems, though. It's not insurmountable but it's a very large Tory majority in circumstances which aren't quite as bad for the Tories as the other Lib Dem gains in this Parliament.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

This will be key - though I think given the appearance of Uxbridge now too makes an informal pact more likely, as the LDs give Labour a clear run there.

It *is* easy to forget that the rivalry between the Lib Dems and Labour can often be deep and vicious at local level.
    Very much so. I think that may well apply in and around Mid-Beds, from what I’m hearing. I just don’t see Labour people in Hitchin, say, being happy to stand back for the LDs.

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,916
    Miklosvar said:

That makes no sense. A recall petition leading to a by-election lets you stand in the by-election. If you win that, that trumps everything for it is the democratic expression of the people. The idea of holding a recall petition immediately after an election win doesn’t fit that logic.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    The "honours list" farce is the final disgrace of a disgraceful politician. Having now read the full list I actually feel quite nauseous. It is a dishonourable and despicable list of creeps and toadies. It will become proverbial as the last shameful and contemptuous act by the second worst PM in British History (the worst is still Liz Truss). It is simply outrageous.

As for the Conservatives: "Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sunak would only have need to say he was going to allow a free vote, to sink Johnson.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I believe Hoover Dustette was/is the preferred brand with our more gammony boomers. More 1950s and 100% British make. (I remember seeing one in my younger days and being very surprised by the warning instructions.)

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co49043/hoover-dustette-vacuum-cleaner-vacuum-cleaner
    Ewbank for me. Extraordinarily still available on Amazon.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,402

I feel no empathy for Johnson's plight, and for a man of his age he should have learned the grace to accept justified defeat rather than throwing all his toys out of the pram. An awfully spoiled old man.
This discussion has been closed.