Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Monday open thread – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,775

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

If anyone fancies a giggle take a look at R&W's Scottish subsample.

SNP 32
    CON 28
    LAB 25

The person in the flat below HYUFD just drowned
    My goodness, that would see the Scottish Conservatives pick up 11 SNP seats, like 2017 the Tories may lose seats to Labour in England but looks like they could even gain seats in Scotland on that subsample with Rishi proving even more popular in Scotland than Theresa May was
    I thought sub samples were banned

I do expect the Scons to benefit from the SNP/Labour’s policy of refusing further oil and gas licences particularly in NE Scotland including Aberdeen

Indeed I am coming to the opinion that Starmer's and Miliband's 'just stop oil' policy may well be seen as their Brexit moment in years to come, as the lunacy of banning our own production with all the jobs and tax revenues that flow from the North Sea from this industry
    On your last paragraph, jobs and tax revenues will also flow from Labour's green energy policy - lots of both, in fact.

It's a strange old world when Labour's attempt to make the current government's net zero policy meaningful is derided by the government's own supporters.
    You believe that then I have a bridge to sell you
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,941

viewcode said:

Omnium said:

Though he was thought to be on death's door Lukashenko seems to be making a play for Kaliningrad.

https://twitter.com/officejjsmart/status/1665741515610804225?s=20

'I have always called the Kaliningrad region my own. It would not be worse off if it was closer to Belarus.'

That would be an ironic outcome for Putin.

Imagine if Belarus getting Kaliningrad were coupled with the overthrow of Lukashenko and the installation of a democratic regime. You could perhaps even negotiate a corridor to give Minsk access to the Baltic.
    Are there any Belarus-annexation friendly political organisations in Kaliningrad? I'd have assumed none whatsoever.
    I doubt it, but in the realm of blue sky possibilities, the Russian population living there might find that option preferable to being incorporated into Poland or Lithuania and it could consolidate Belarusian independence from Moscow.
    No one locally wants Kaliningrad - Putin like dreams of taking land full of people who don’t want to be conquered are not a thing even among the ultranationalists in the region.

The rejection of irredentism comes from the analysis that unless all the states near Russia band together, they will be used as chew toys by Russia. As happened in the past. So accepting the existing borders is the first step.
    Yes, if they Kremlin had been smarter they could have offered Kaliningrad to Germany in exchange for Western recognition of the annexation of Crimea.
    Why offer a swap when you can take by violence? They did not need to ask permission, they had already taken it.
    Yes but they wanted to have it recognised and sanctions to be lifted. Putin didn't like being frozen out of the G8.
    I am trying to imagine Merkel’s reaction to such an offer.

Probably a bit like the King Of Belgium, when the Kaiser offered him (pre WWI) large chunks of France in return for letting the Germans march threw Belgium when the time came…

The Belgian King made a joke about the days of Louis The Fourteenth being long gone. Then drove home with his ceremonial helmet on backwards. And told the French that the Kaiser was insane.
    You wouldn't propose it formally. They could have had someone like Zhirinovsky float the idea and get their proxies in Germany worked up about it. The spirit of Molotov–Ribbentrop was still present at the time.
    Even the AfD would say WTAF?

Also the ultranationalists in Russia wouldn't look kindly to selling fellow Russians to the Germans.
    There are certainly factions in the AfD that would welcome it.

https://www.dw.com/en/germanys-far-right-afd-aims-at-a-forgotten-demographic/a-50993725
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,365
    kle4 said:

People might moan, but after 4 losses they cannot afford to not be ruthless.

NEW: Labour leader @Keir_Starmer responds to criticism over Jamie Driscoll (@MayorJD) not being on the party's candidate longlist for North East Mayor

"We're going through a rigorous selection exercise & I make no apologies for saying we want the highest quality candidates"

https://twitter.com/TomSheldrickITV/status/1665736108100005890?cxt=HHwWhMC9zcaK8Z0uAAAA

Well, this is a new office, and the banned bloke is already a mayor so is hardly unelectable.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,277
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

SNP 32
    CON 28
    LAB 25

My goodness, that would see the Scottish Conservatives pick up 11 SNP seats, like 2017 the Tories may lose seats to Labour in England but looks like they could even gain seats in Scotland on that subsample with Rishi proving even more popular in Scotland than Theresa May was

I do expect the Scons to benefit from the SNP/Labour’s policy of refusing further oil and gas licences particularly in NE Scotland including Aberdeen

Indeed I am coming to the opinion that Starmer's and Miliband's 'just stop oil' policy may well be seen as their Brexit moment in years to come, as the lunacy of banning our own production with all the jobs and tax revenues that flow from the North Sea from this industry
    On your last paragraph, jobs and tax revenues will also flow from Labour's green energy policy - lots of both, in fact.

It's a strange old world when Labour's attempt to make the current government's net zero policy meaningful is derided by the government's own supporters.
    I'm okay for bridges, but thanks for the offer.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,780
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

SNP 32
    CON 28
    LAB 25

Since we're apparently 'aving a larf about R&W subsamples, here's the one for the South West in the same poll:
    Labour 53%
    Con 26%
    Lib Dem 12%
    Green 9%

How many of their 48 South West seats would the Conservatives lose on that result?
    Less than half of them, as many of them are LD target seats rather than Labour
    If they lost less than half, that's a loss of 23 or less. So you are claiming that the Conservatives would win at least 45% (i.e. 25+) of the 55 seats in the South West with just 26% of the vote.

Do you really think that? Seriously?
    Yes, as I said the anti Tory vote is split. In 2019 the LDs got 18% in the South West compared to only 11% UK wide. Much of that high Labour vote in the SW will be huge Labour majorities in Bristol, Exeter, Plymouth, Gloucester, Bournemouth, and Swindon and Falmouth etc while the rural and coastal SW will be split between LDs and Labour for the anti Tory vote

I appreciate HYUFD that you may be aving a larf with your claim that the Conservatives would win at least 45% of the 55 seats in the South West with just 26% of the vote, since any claim based on R&W subsamples is surely aving a larf.

But to put the matter to rest I've worked out the figures for you.

The change in vote share in that R&W South West subsample is Lab +30%, Con -27%, LD -6%.

Apply UNS to that and the Conservatives would lose 48 out of 48 of their South West seats.

The closest the Conservatives would come to holding a seat would be Christchurch, where they would end up about 4% behind Labour.

• kle4kle4 Posts: 95,315

kle4 said:

People might moan, but after 4 losses they cannot afford to not be ruthless.

NEW: Labour leader @Keir_Starmer responds to criticism over Jamie Driscoll (@MayorJD) not being on the party's candidate longlist for North East Mayor

"We're going through a rigorous selection exercise & I make no apologies for saying we want the highest quality candidates"

https://twitter.com/TomSheldrickITV/status/1665736108100005890?cxt=HHwWhMC9zcaK8Z0uAAAA

Well, this is a new office, and the banned bloke is already a mayor so is hardly unelectable.
    Doesn't mean he should feel entitled to a shortlisting.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,698
    edited June 2023
    "Coordinator of Extinction Rebellion's legal strategy team” Tobias Garnett is working full time for Ed Miliband
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1665774770183348230?s=20

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

SNP 32
    CON 28
    LAB 25

I'm okay for bridges, but thanks for the offer.
    I am serious what green jobs? Its all very well to spout platitudes, if its so certain you should be able to give at least one example of these green jobs. Also any one unemployed right now either cant work or wont work so where are the workers coming from?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,623
    HYUFD said:

"Coordinator of Extinction Rebellion's legal strategy team” Tobias Garnett is working full time for Ed Miliband

Edstinkshun Rebellion

edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

SNP 32
    CON 28
    LAB 25

Since we're apparently 'aving a larf about R&W subsamples, here's the one for the South West in the same poll:
    Labour 53%
    Con 26%
    Lib Dem 12%
    Green 9%

How many of their 48 South West seats would the Conservatives lose on that result?
    If they lost less than half, that's a loss of 23 or less. So you are claiming that the Conservatives would win at least 45% (i.e. 25+) of the 55 seats in the South West with just 26% of the vote.

Yes, as I said the anti Tory vote is split. In 2019 the LDs got 18% in the South West compared to only 11% UK wide. Much of that high Labour vote in the SW will be huge Labour majorities in Bristol, Exeter, Plymouth, Gloucester, Bournemouth, and Swindon and Falmouth etc while the rural and coastal SW will be split between LDs and Labour for the anti Tory vote

I appreciate HYUFD that you may be aving a larf with your claim that the Conservatives would win at least 45% of the 55 seats in the South West with just 26% of the vote, since any claim based on R&W subsamples is surely aving a larf.

The change in vote share in that R&W South West subsample is Lab +30%, Con -27%, LD -6%.

Apply UNS to that and the Conservatives would lose 48 out of 48 of their South West seats.

The closest the Conservatives would come to holding a seat would be Christchurch, where they would end up about 4% behind Labour.

Based on the latest Survation rural seats poll which has the Tories 6% ahead of Labour the Tories will hold far more rural SW seats than that. As I said the Labour vote will pile up in Plymouth and Bristol and Exeter but far less so in rural areas.

I also expect the SW subsample overestimates Labour as the Scottish subsample overestimates the Tories
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,511

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

SNP 32
    CON 28
    LAB 25

I simply do not agree it is a wise policy which is being challenged by the unions and some Labour mps
    Apple have invented a new technology called "eyesight".

iSight, Shirley

Apple rarely innovate they take existing tech and build it into their products and claim its new. Same as they did with the ipad, iphone and iplayer

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

SNP 32
    CON 28
    LAB 25

Labour 53%
    Con 26%
    Lib Dem 12%
    Green 9%

Good luck with putting it to rest

This is @HYUFD you are challenging!!!!
    geoffw said:

iSight, Shirley
    Seriously:

• DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

Is this the thread to ask SKS fans to explain why SKS Lab is only 14 points ahead down from 37 points 7 months ago.

Sure. There are two parts to the explanation

1) Sunak > Truss but on 5 Nov 2022 he’d only had roughly 2 weeks in office to prove it
    2) You are a lunatic

Hope that helps.
    HYUFD said:

You have to have influence when you pay labour 1.5 million
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    geoffw said:

iSight, Shirley
    iShite?
    edited June 2023
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

Edstinkshun Rebellion

Tobias was educated at Trinity College Cambridge, Harvard and worked at City law firm Herbert Smith before becoming a Human Rights lawyer and joining Extinction Rebellion.

I imagine with a name like Tobias he didn't go to the local comp either
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/tobias-garnett/?originalSubdomain=uk
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Pagan2 said:

Apple rarely innovate they take existing tech and build it into their products and claim its new. Same as they did with the ipad, iphone and iplayer
    iplayer is a bbc technology.

What existed prior to the iphone?

geoffw said:

iSight, Shirley
    Seriously:

So an image saying eyesight proves its innovative....it will be either a retread of microsofts ar or other peoples vr. It wont be anything new just "oh wow its apple" . Apples genius is not in inventing new stuff it is in convincing people they did
    Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Well the first smartphone was ibm's simon, also predating the iphone we have the blackberry, palm , newton etc....they were all smartphones in their way
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,970
    edited June 2023

geoffw said:

iSight, Shirley
    Seriously:

I am reminded of the silicon valley episode where they make an advert, tables, tables are...
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,461
    The new Macbook Air 15 inch looks really nice.

The new Apple AR device looks really impressive and completely useless.
    Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Well the first smartphone was ibm's simon, also predating the iphone we have the blackberry, palm , newton etc....they were all smartphones in their way
    The Nokia Communicator. The Danger HipTop.

Etc.
    edited June 2023
    rcs1000 said:

I can imagine the adult industry might find a use case for them.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

SNP 32
    CON 28
    LAB 25

Labour 53%
    Con 26%
    Lib Dem 12%
    Green 9%

So you're saying there's a chance...
    Surely it should have been called iSight?

rcs1000 said:

I can imagine the adult industry might find a use case for them.
    You need to watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVjFOwyy06g
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 49,023
    @StuartDickson
    Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

A large number of "smart" phones existed prior to the iPhone. I used to buy them - being a bit of an early adopter.

What Apple did was make it "just work"

I had an Alcatel One Touch Com, which had an all touch screen years before Apple.

https://www.mobilephonemuseum.com/phone-detail/one-touch-com

Another phone, if you twiddled settings all the time, would sometimes get a GPS signal and work out its location and maybe display it on the map. I used to amuse myself by flashing it with custom cooks of Windows Mobile, to try and make it run faster...

I tried an Apple iPhone 1 and the map application fired up and worked within a couple of seconds.

@StuartDickson

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

A large number of "smart" phones existed prior to the iPhone. I used to buy them - being a bit of an early adopter.

I had an Alcatel One Touch Com, which had an all touch screen years before Apple.

Another phone, if you twiddled settings all the time, would sometimes get a GPS signal and work out its location and maybe display it on the map. I used to amuse myself by flashing it with custom cooks of Windows Mobile, to try and make it run faster...

I tried an Apple iPhone 1 and the map application fired up and worked within a couple of seconds.
    The SonyEricsson P800 was a decent pre-iPhone smartphone.

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,994

Same reason the Apple Watch isn't called the iWatch, somebody else has the trademark.
    rcs1000 said:

@StuartDickson

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

As was its predecessor, the Ericsson 380.
    edited June 2023
    Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Not in very much of a way. I had all sorts of PDAs, if you remember that TLA, which in retrospect were just embarrassing. Apple just took a shit idea and made it into a brilliant one.

ETA and anyone who wasn't aware of them, should google the ibm simon. I will stick with the iphone.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,432
    kle4 said:

Lennon said:

First...

And for want of a subject - I see Pence is going to declare... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65813361

Most of these various candidates have no chance against Trump and most of them surely know they have no chance. They also know the danger of splitting the anti-Trump vote. Yet even Pence is weirdly coy about criticising Trump.

So are most of them doing it because they feel the need to make a token opposition for when they end up backing Trump as the nominee, because they want to be in with a shot in case the law can take care of Trump before the election (hope springs eternal), because they think despite losing they can inflict some wounds on Trump (though given the party, including these candidates, usually back him in the legal matters, I don't know what that could be), or because they are deluded after all?
    Note some announced and as yet unannounced Republican candidates for POTUS are REALLY running for VP. For example, Tim Scott.

AND/OR for a future nomination, in say 2028 or . . .

Of course. does NOT preclude a possible nomination for President, if lightning strikes and planets align.

My point is, that wounding Trump is NOT the Prime Directive for ANY serious candidate.

THAT is the Quest for the White House. Always has been that way, anyway, at least 99.46% of the time.
    edited June 2023

Same reason the Apple Watch isn't called the iWatch, somebody else has the trademark.
    I presume iWank has also gone?

They're risking a lawsuit from God instead.
    edited June 2023
    Same with mp3 players, i had a creative zen, which was better than first ipod.
    edited June 2023
    rcs1000 said:

@StuartDickson

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Yup - had a P900. Then SonyEricsson lost the plot.
    Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Not in very much of a way. I had all sorts of PDAs, if you remember that TLA, which in retrospect were just embarrassing. Apple just took a shit idea and made it into a brilliant one.

ETA and anyone who wasn't aware of them, should google the ibm simon. I will stick with the iphone.
    No what apple did was turn a shit idea into an even shittier piece of crap while tying idiots into the apple ecosystem and holding them hostage

Same with mp3 players, i had a creative zen, which was better than first ipod.

I had one of those too and far superior to the ipod, in fact still have mine I should charge it up see if it still works
    Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

No what apple did was turn a shit idea into an even shittier piece of crap while tying idiots into the apple ecosystem and holding them hostage
    Apple perfected the touchscreen-only device in a way that nobody had done before, although the first few iterations of the iPhone were a bit gimmicky.
    edited June 2023
    They gave the example of the spatial view + cinema screen for use on a plane. I reckon that could be a really weird effect on the mind.

Interesting they aren't selling this in terms of AR for work (i don't mean virtual desk, i mean argumenting the environment for say car mechanic). That has been hololens pitch, be interesting to see if the iWank can do this better

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Apple perfected the touchscreen-only device in a way that nobody had done before, although the first few iterations of the iPhone were a bit gimmicky.
    Don't know about perfected as they are still flaky as hell in my opinion. Had a 13 issued to me as a work device and was a complete piece of crap touch screen wise compared to the better android devices of the time
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Anyway I've had another bloody tyre blowout on the motorway. All fixed now but am having coffee before wending my way home v slowly. Am practising my talk - teaching bankers in London this Thursday - so nice Starbucks person is wondering what the slightly harassed-looking muttering woman in the corner is up to.

I really hate leaving the Lakes in June - it is the best place in the world to be, certainly better than West Hampstead. I have to leave this for views of cars and walls - eurggh!

Echo…echo

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

You either use an iphone or (what everyone admits is) a blatant ripoff android, and it works flawlessly for you. You are probably posting on it now, and try doing that with a 2003 palmtop. I agree about the hostage taking, though.
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Don't know about perfected as they are still flaky as hell in my opinion. Had a 13 issued to me as a work device and was a complete piece of crap touch screen wise compared to the better android devices of the time
    I've always found Android to be flakier. I was initially a sceptic and liked the physical keyboard on BlackBerries.

Apple also showed good judgement in never trying to make touchscreen laptops. Microsoft wasted so much effort on something for which there was never a good use case.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,705

The anger I feel at this betrayal is only matched by the anger I felt when Mark Reckless defected to UKIP.

Andy Flower, England’s former head coach who led them to three Ashes series victories, has joined Australia’s backroom staff as coaching consultant for this summer’s series.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/andy-flower-joins-australia-coaching-team-before-ashes-xqv9qklpw

I don’t see why.

He did far more damage to England while in their dressing room than he’s ever likely to do to them working for the Aussies.
    Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

You either use an iphone or (what everyone admits is) a blatant ripoff android, and it works flawlessly for you. You are probably posting on it now, and try doing that with a 2003 palmtop. I agree about the hostage taking, though.
    Like I would post on a mobile
    Is it just me, or is there something a bit dystopian if we all end up walking around wearing these all the time?
  • hello cyclefree love your articles, but those windowboxes look like mine in Kilburn! NW6 isn't so bad,,,
    Pagan2 said:

Ah, yes, iPlayer, brought to you by that well established Apple brand, the BBC.

Is it just me, or is there something a bit dystopian if we all end up walking around wearing these all the time?

I wonder who the first MP to wear one in the House of Commons will be...

So they can look up tractors?
  • WestieWestie Posts: 426
    TASS is leading on "Ceasefire and security guarantees: key points on peace plans for Ukraine", about how a plan from Indonesia is about to come in.
    https://tass.com/defense/1627985

At $3500, better not put it on expenses....

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Correct. The pinch-to-zoom thing is so cool that I refused to believe it was a thing until I had done it for myself. Like Doubting Thomas.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,648
    edited June 2023
    Farooq said:

SNP 32
    CON 28
    LAB 25

In what is the question which I'm too tasteless not to ask.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,124
    When I become World King I'll install a compulsory app on everyone's phone to tell them what to do. It will, of course, be called iGov.
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    edited June 2023
    15” MBA

$1299, or… £1399

£1.4k is a lot to ask for 8/256gb.

Looks nice, apart from the notch, but it ain’t cheap.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    edited June 2023

hello cyclefree love your articles, but those windowboxes look like mine in Kilburn! NW6 isn't so bad,,,

They are NOT windowboxes! It is a very long bed 1 metre deep by about 4.5 metres.

How many Kilburn window boxes have roses, cherry trees, peonies, geums, phlox, evergreen jasmine, clematis etc etc in them?

NW6 is fine but when you have views like this instead .....

I now feel trapped in London.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,495
    Andy_JS said:

Tories are almost averaging 30% in the polls.

Rishi has got boat crossings down 20% this year so far, and Albanian crossings down 90%.

If that continues and he starts to get on top on inflation and is in a position to cut taxes next year, that might start to tell in rallying the base.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,399
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

SNP 32
    CON 28
    LAB 25

Labour 53%
    Con 26%
    Lib Dem 12%
    Green 9%

So you're saying there's a chance...
    So you're TELLING ME there's a chance!

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

SNP 32
    CON 28
    LAB 25

Labour 53%
    Con 26%
    Lib Dem 12%
    Green 9%

Based on the latest Survation rural seats poll which has the Tories 6% ahead of Labour the Tories will hold far more rural SW seats than that. As I said the Labour vote will pile up in Plymouth and Bristol and Exeter but far less so in rural areas.

I also expect the SW subsample overestimates Labour as the Scottish subsample overestimates the Tories
    The Conservatives start with a 12% share of the vote in Bristol West. If they were to lose 27% of their 53% vote share in the SW, their vote share in Bristol West is not going to fall by 27% in that sort of seat to end up at -15%. So with such a huge notional swing, then in the seats where they start furthest behind a mathematically possible outcome has to have a swing against the Conservatives smaller not larger than predicted by UNS.

And of course the R&W SW subsample overestimates Labour! Massively so, it's utter rubbish. But that is missing the point by retrospectively moving the goalposts. As is citing a different Survation poll.

The fact is that you were confidently making a claim based on what would happen in the SW IF the R&W subsample were correct. And your claim based on that premise was demonstrably wrong.

Sorry, but I've had enough of this. If you claimed that 2 times 3 equals 23 and I pointed out that it equalled 6, you would always maintain that your original claim was right.

• stodgestodge Posts: 13,735

Andy_JS said:

Rishi has got boat crossings down 20% this year so far, and Albanian crossings down 90%.

If that continues and he starts to get on top on inflation and is in a position to cut taxes next year, that might start to tell in rallying the base.
    The last two or three weeks have seen a persistent strong east or north east wind through the Channel which would deter all but the most reckless as the wind and current would blow you back towards France.

The acid test will be when the wind changes back to a SW'ly. I suspect we'll see a new rush of boat migrants when that happens.

I see the Conservatives have also sacrificed reducing the deficit and the debt on the altar of remaining in office to the extent we now see the "tax cut next spring" being peddled as somehow the way to save the Government. Presumably, once re-elected, the taxes will be put back up to start really paying down the deficit and debt as well as the large debt interest built up.
    Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Everything is a "blatant ripoff".

It's the nature of technology; you can't copyright an idea.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

SNP 32
    CON 28
    LAB 25

Labour 53%
    Con 26%
    Lib Dem 12%
    Green 9%

The Conservatives start with a 12% share of the vote in Bristol West. If they were to lose 27% of their 53% vote share in the SW, their vote share in Bristol West is not going to fall by 27% in that sort of seat to end up at -15%. So with such a huge notional swing, then in the seats where they start furthest behind a mathematically possible outcome has to have a swing against the Conservatives smaller not larger than predicted by UNS.

And of course the R&W SW subsample overestimates Labour! Massively so, it's utter rubbish. But that is missing the point by retrospectively moving the goalposts. As is citing a different Survation poll.

The fact is that you were confidently making a claim based on what would happen in the SW IF the R&W subsample were correct. And your claim based on that premise was demonstrably wrong.

Sorry, but I've had enough of this. If you claimed that 2 times 3 equals 23 and I pointed out that it equalled 6, you would always maintain that your original claim was right.

Ask him about that canal through the Arabian Peninsular he’s building
  • CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    The Tories will turn it around any day now

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

SNP 32
    CON 28
    LAB 25

Yes, lots of jobs and tax revenues will flow.

In other oil producing countries.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 683
    Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

The hphone...
    Andy_JS said:

No.

Based on the latest poll by each polling company, for those with fieldwork ending within the last week (n=3) the Tories are averaging 28%. For those with fieldwork ending within the last two weeks (n=6) they are also averaging 28%.

• dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,297

Andy_JS said:

No.

Based on the latest poll by each polling company, for those with fieldwork ending within the last week (n=3) the Tories are averaging 28%. For those with fieldwork ending within the last two weeks (n=6) they are also averaging 28%.

In better news. For those taken since the local elections (n=29) they are averaging a comparatively healthy 28.2%.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,040

Andy_JS said:

It's down on last year, but we don't know what it's going to be over the Summer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/65811208
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,623

I'd pay good money to see Jacob wear one. Light-sabre in hand, fighting the good fight against the WFH blob.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,735

The Tories will turn it around any day now

Yes, apparently they are "averaging" 30% now - actually one poll puts them at 30% and from a pollster which has had the Conservative vote share oscillating in the range 28-30% since mid April.

We've also had 25% from Omnisis but no, the Conservatives are "averaging" 30%.

Of course, it's nothing to do' with the facts or the evidence - it's simply about whistling to keep your hopes up.
    edited June 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Pagan2 said:

Everything is a "blatant ripoff".

It's the nature of technology; you can't copyright an idea.
    Part of the problem of British industry is not realising that there is a vast gap between an idea, a working prototype and an even bigger one to an actual product.

Just after WWII, they built a microwave oven. This weighed multiple tons (literally), took ages to warm up, and generally was a fail.

It took years of patient development to create the generic box that everyone has.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 17,130

Andy_JS said:

He will have to get them down by 99% if they are to match 2018 figures according to these people. Sunak probably should have focused on another metric. Very easy for Labour to claim it's a Tory problem.

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/channel-crossings-tracker
    Cyclefree said:

hello cyclefree love your articles, but those windowboxes look like mine in Kilburn! NW6 isn't so bad,,,

They are NOT windowboxes! It is a very long bed 1 metre deep by about 4.5 metres.

How many Kilburn window boxes have roses, cherry trees, peonies, geums, phlox, evergreen jasmine, clematis etc etc in them?

This used to be (more or less) my view

Now I have about 50 yards into another flat. Bit of a downgrade, view-wise. I'm not envious at all...

Apple already use that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISight

viewcode said:

Omnium said:

Though he was thought to be on death's door Lukashenko seems to be making a play for Kaliningrad.

'I have always called the Kaliningrad region my own. It would not be worse off if it was closer to Belarus.'

Imagine if Belarus getting Kaliningrad were coupled with the overthrow of Lukashenko and the installation of a democratic regime. You could perhaps even negotiate a corridor to give Minsk access to the Baltic.
    Are there any Belarus-annexation friendly political organisations in Kaliningrad? I'd have assumed none whatsoever.
    I doubt it, but in the realm of blue sky possibilities, the Russian population living there might find that option preferable to being incorporated into Poland or Lithuania and it could consolidate Belarusian independence from Moscow.
    No one locally wants Kaliningrad - Putin like dreams of taking land full of people who don’t want to be conquered are not a thing even among the ultranationalists in the region.

The rejection of irredentism comes from the analysis that unless all the states near Russia band together, they will be used as chew toys by Russia. As happened in the past. So accepting the existing borders is the first step.
    Yes, if they Kremlin had been smarter they could have offered Kaliningrad to Germany in exchange for Western recognition of the annexation of Crimea.
    Why offer a swap when you can take by violence? They did not need to ask permission, they had already taken it.
    Yes but they wanted to have it recognised and sanctions to be lifted. Putin didn't like being frozen out of the G8.

Probably a bit like the King Of Belgium, when the Kaiser offered him (pre WWI) large chunks of France in return for letting the Germans march threw Belgium when the time came…

The Belgian King made a joke about the days of Louis The Fourteenth being long gone. Then drove home with his ceremonial helmet on backwards. And told the French that the Kaiser was insane.
    The pre-war German plan was to annex large parts of Belgium and make a vassal state out of the rest.
    The Conservatives' vote share in England's 100 most rural seats is -18% from the 2019 General Election, while Labour's is up +16%.

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1665765322715004928
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,557

The Conservatives' vote share in England's 100 most rural seats is -18% from the 2019 General Election, while Labour's is up +16%.

A weeny bit of tactical voting and those are all done for. In reality there will probably be a lot of near misses. But even a handful of those would be a significant contribution.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,705
    rcs1000 said:

Hardly useless; just that you don’t fancy using it.

At that price not for me, either. but by version 3, it could be very interesting.
    As a screen replacement, with enhanced functionality, there ought to be enough early adopters who’ll pay for it, assuming they’ve solved the motion sickness issue.
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

At that price not for me, either. but by version 3, it could be very interesting.
    As a screen replacement, with enhanced functionality, there ought to be enough early adopters who’ll pay for it, assuming they’ve solved the motion sickness issue.
    I'm the biggest early adopter out there. And even I am probably not going to buy it.
    ohnotnow said:

Cyclefree said:

Now I have about 50 yards into another flat. Bit of a downgrade, view-wise. I'm not envious at all...
    Wow: your Tears of the Kingdom is in higher res than mine.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,875
    Cyclefree said:

The Lakes are very beautiful. They rain, every day, but still very beautiful.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,994
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm an Apple whore, I'm ordering the new MacBook Air, I've gone for the 24GB RAM and 1 TB SSD but I'm not getting the Vision Pro, it's 3D TVs all over again.
    rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Cyclefree said:

Wow: your Tears of the Kingdom is in higher res than mine.
    It even had some sort of retro 'augmented reality' feel to it where you could do things like 'throw pebble into water' and it would make a rudimentary 'splash'. Quite the thing back in the day.

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm an Apple whore, I'm ordering the new MacBook Air, I've gone for the 24GB RAM and 1 TB SSD but I'm not getting the Vision Pro, it's 3D TVs all over again.
    I'll buy myself a new MBP at some point, want 64GB of RAM

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Apple or crApple? :lol:
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,572
    I fear it may be time for me to replace my 2010 Mac Pro...
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,297

There were some horrendous results in the locals in North Yorkshire, Cumbria and Somerset in 2022.
    So it isn't a recent development.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,491

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

I'll buy myself a new MBP at some point, want 64GB of RAM
    My 2011 Macbook Air is still going strong, no point in replacing it too early.
    edited June 2023

viewcode said:

Omnium said:

The pre-war German plan was to annex large parts of Belgium and make a vassal state out of the rest.
    Kaiser Fuckwit came up with his genius suggestion on the spur of the moment - compensating the Belgians with a huge chunk of France….
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,862
    As it's an open thread, here are some observations that some may find interesting. Obviously they're personal and doubtless not at all representative. I have just spent a pleasant couple of months on the Canadian and US West Coast and I've found:

Unsurprising:
    a) Food prices really are outrageous, at any rate if you want anything better than mass market processed slop. This has always been the case but seems even worse now. A slightly gourmet loaf of bread in an average supermarket can easily be $6 (£5), decent cheeses are at least two, often three times as expensive as here, and, my favourite, almonds are two or three times as much, but they're grown in California. Restaurants are taking the piss just as much as here, too - a quesadilla that used to be $8 a couple of years ago is now $14. On the other hand, bananas are better and cheaper than here.
    b) Yes, homeless are everywhere in big cities. The metro trains in LA are basically dorms for them, there are large shanty towns under many freeway overpasses and the Tenderloin in San Francisco has partly been abandoned to them. They also have much less fear about verbally harassing others than they used to. It reminds me of time I spent in New York before the cleanup in the 90s. A friend called it the "Brazilification of America". No doubt eventually there will be a similar reaction.
    c) The wettest winter in 50 years has led to a plague of mosquitoes in areas that didn't have them. Hopefully temporary but deeply annoying nonethless.
    d) None of my political friends are thinking much about the next US general election yet. But they have the same assumptions that most of us have: Biden vs Trump, with Biden probably edging it. None seem to think that Biden's infirmities or Trump's criminal issues will prevent a 2020 rematch in 2024, not because they are widely loved, but because both parties have failed completely to generate anything better.

More suprising, to me anyway:
    a) Anecdotally. the recent increases in interest rates don't seem to have cooled the housing market yet, at least according to a couple of realtors I talked to at an open house party in a smart area of LA. Houses are still getting a dozen bids and going for 10-20% over asking. FOMO is still a real thing.
    b) In Canada, nobody I met admitted to changing their opinions on the Monarchy after the accession of King Charles. It seems to be worn to a large extent as an anti-American badge, rather than on the practical effects of the issue.
    c) The cost of living seems to have faded somewhat as a political issue. But there's no overriding question that has replaced it, and debate seems very fragmented at the moment.

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

SNP 32
    CON 28
    LAB 25

Because it is a genuinely stupid, self defeating thing they are doing. If you want to reach net zero then deal with consumption. Change the way people use energy. Ending drilling for oil and gas in the UK will not do that one iota. All it will mean is that we will then have to import that oil and gas from providers who have far poorer environmental credentials and who are much less secure when it comes to a gauranteed supply. Indeed importing that oil and gas will create more carbon emissions than drilling for it here in the UK. It is a trick to make us seem more environmentally progressive when actually we are causing more, rather than less, emissions.

And not only will you know have to import those hydrocarbons for energy you will also have to import it for all the petrochemicals we rely on. Lubricants, greases, coolants, medicines, plastics and other hydroicarbon based materials, fertislisers and a whole host of other products.

The North Sea provides just about the highest quality hydrocarbons in the world, ideal for specialist petrochemicals. The only country that will be thanking Starmer for this is Norway.

It is a genuinely idiotic and ignorant decision which will cost jobs, damage our manufacturing and balance of payments, destroy our energy security, cause massively more pollution in other parts of the world and do absolutely nothing to reduce carbon emissions - indeed overall it will increase emissions.
    Apart from all of that it is a great idea.
    First of many stupid ideas under a Labour administration, which is cruising to power on pure gesture politics.
This discussion has been closed.