Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sentence first – verdict afterwards – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,407

I hope no one is losing the plot on here tonight 😈

I am afraid he has lost it already
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,023

Farooq said:

Dialup said:

Crazy motherfucker named ice cube

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Please stop
    Sadly he is following form and if it continues there will only be one end result

Completely unnecessary and disrespectful to this forum
    Stop being so touchy Big G. Dialup is simply taking the mick a bit like we all do at times.
  • Options
    DialupDialup Posts: 561
    https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1656408781922660352

Standard Daily Mail.

Serious incident. Does it involve a woman? Find vaguely sexual image.

Phwrorr
  • Options

Farooq said:

Dialup said:

Crazy motherfucker named ice cube

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Please stop
    Sadly he is following form and if it continues there will only be one end result

Completely unnecessary and disrespectful to this forum
    Stop being so touchy Big G. Dialup is simply taking the mick a bit like we all do at times.
    There is no Mickley taking in his original comment that caused this
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,842
    Roger said:

Prince Harry is blaming press intrusion for destroying his relationship with Chelsy Davy.

Is this buyers remorse?

No, he is pretty clear about it in his book "Spare" and well before he met Meghan.

Also about how press intrusion ruined his relationship with Caroline Flack.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,025
    edited May 2023
    This is an interesting paragraph with which to begin an essay.

"I was illiterate until my mid-thirties. I’m 57 now and my first book has just been published. It’s tradition for your publisher to deliver the first few copies from the printer’s press to the author. A local courier, James, delivered a box of 10 last week. It was a joyous moment, to see something stared at on a screen for over four years turned into an object that could be held, flicked through, something I could smell. However, that joy was short lived as James, the 54-year-old courier, was killed for the contents of his van one mile or so down the road two days later. His violent end didn’t even make the local news. Durham police posted on Facebook that two men had been charged with manslaughter and theft. Murders and all forms of crime have become common around here now. It’s the norm."

https://unherd.com/2023/05/durham-has-become-a-land-of-zombies/

"Durham has become a land of zombies
    Politicians have left my people to die
    By Pip Fallow"
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,300
    edited May 2023
    Dialup said:

Standard Daily Mail.

Phwrorr

Whinny you going to stop?
  • Options

Dialup said:

Standard Daily Mail.

Phwrorr

Whinny you going to stop?
    Touchy tonight.
  • Options
    There is a serious "looking down" on apprenticeships, even now.

Somehow that people that do them are less intelligent than people that go to uni, or less qualified. I work with people that have done both, I can categorically say that in almost every way the apprentices are better prepared and do better in the day job than the grads.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1656410300927692801

EXC: TEN midlands Tory MPs go public with call for Sunak to do more on Levelling Up by the summer - or see them lose their seats with nothing to sell on the doorstep.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,046
    So civil servants are now being blamed for the governments inability to scrap all EU law by the end of the year . The Remainer blob has apparently thwarted them.

Or was it the case that scrapping all these laws would have left a legal vacuum which was ignored by Sunak in his desperate attempt to chase good headlines in the right wing press .

We get the picture though , each time this rancid government fails is always the fault of others !
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,163
    edited May 2023
    Dialup said:

EXC: TEN midlands Tory MPs go public with call for Sunak to do more on Levelling Up by the summer - or see them lose their seats with nothing to sell on the doorstep.

I suspect it will come as unwelcome news to the the largely Labour-voting denizens of the fine city of Nottingham than Ben Bradley is their council leader…
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,924
    Dialup said:

There is a serious "looking down" on apprenticeships, even now.

Somehow that people that do them are less intelligent than people that go to uni, or less qualified. I work with people that have done both, I can categorically say that in almost every way the apprentices are better prepared and do better in the day job than the grads.

Well said. 100% agree. We've got ourselves into an odd situation where people doing skilled jobs and manual labor are somehow looked down upon compared to those that go to Uni.

It's a situation that started under Blair and hasn't much improved since.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,367
    nico679 said:

So civil servants are now being blamed for the governments inability to scrap all EU law by the end of the year . The Remainer blob has apparently thwarted them.

Or was it the case that scrapping all these laws would have left a legal vacuum which was ignored by Sunak in his desperate attempt to chase good headlines in the right wing press .

We get the picture though , each time this rancid government fails is always the fault of others !

What a farce.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,556
    Dialup said:

Sounds right. Surely levelling up played a bigger part in Boris and Brexit than dog-whistled racism.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,842
    Andy_JS said:

"I was illiterate until my mid-thirties. I’m 57 now and my first book has just been published. It’s tradition for your publisher to deliver the first few copies from the printer’s press to the author. A local courier, James, delivered a box of 10 last week. It was a joyous moment, to see something stared at on a screen for over four years turned into an object that could be held, flicked through, something I could smell. However, that joy was short lived as James, the 54-year-old courier, was killed for the contents of his van one mile or so down the road two days later. His violent end didn’t even make the local news. Durham police posted on Facebook that two men had been charged with manslaughter and theft. Murders and all forms of crime have become common around here now. It’s the norm."

By Pip Fallow"

According to the ONS there were 4 murders in Durham last year, 28 in the entire NE.

I wouldn't say that was so common as to be the norm.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

By Pip Fallow"

According to the ONS there were 4 murders in Durham last year, 28 in the entire NE.

I wouldn't say that was so common as to be the norm.

Yes, I thought it sounded exaggerated.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,801
    DavidL said:

I am not sure that my current position allows me to comment on this in any detail. Obviously any views I express are entirely my own. That said:

1. The idea that the LJG can remove judges from the sex crimes court without process is a complete non starter. It is not Article 6 compliant. The only reason I can see for putting such an idea forward would be to trigger another fight with Westminster when they were told not to be so silly. And by the way, as things stand every High Court is a sex court because it takes up nearly 80% of the business.

2, The idea of Judge led trials requires judges willing to do them. At the moment judges can hide behind jury decisions which do not require justification and are almost completely immune from criticism or appeal. (Appeals normally turn on the directions given to juries by judges.) Which judge wants to be the first to say that he did not find the complainer in a rape trial credible? For an answer see 1.

3. I do not think that rape cases are poorly investigated. There have been major improvements in recent years, in particular the researching of prior relationships of the accused to look for other complainers and patterns of behaviour. The problem is rather an atmosphere where it takes great courage not to pursue a rape case to the bitter end in a legal structure which makes it very difficult to stop it getting to the jury. Or, being even blunter about it, we prosecute too many cases with too poor a prospect of conviction.

4. It is true that each case turns on its own facts but the key to a jury's decision is what facts they find important. A judge would have a much harder time of it having to give detailed reasons based on the evidence open to analysis on appeal. This may result in a lot more appeals than the current system.

5. Camp Zeist
  • Options
    TowerbridgeTowerbridge Posts: 22
    Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

"Adjoa Andoh's 'terribly white' coronation remark becomes most complained about moment of 2023, Ofcom says

Thousands of complaints were filed about the remark, which the Bridgerton star made when she appeared on ITV's live coverage of the King's coronation celebrations. Acknowledging the backlash in a radio interview, she said: "I think I upset a few people.""

https://news.sky.com/story/adjoa-andohs-terribly-white-coronation-remark-becomes-most-complained-about-moment-of-2023-ofcom-says-12877889

Good. People are getting fed up with such banal and stupid commentary.

It's on its way out, I think.
    She had a point though.
    I'd suggest that the top 10000 most powerful people in Britain are more racially diverse than any other large country in the world except perhaps Brazil.
    Non-white people haven't been in Britain in large numbers for very long. Of course the royal family is largely white.
    Yes the uk is becoming a very diverse society. Latest census shows white british down to 73.5 % of population of england. White british births in england and wales down to 58% of population in 2019 extrapolating likely 54% now. And white british births likely a minority by 2027. At this point the die is cast and arguments about immigration become redundant as 30 years on white british will be a minority even with zero immigration. To their credit the british people have taken such changes with remarkable tolerance.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

"Adjoa Andoh's 'terribly white' coronation remark becomes most complained about moment of 2023, Ofcom says

Thousands of complaints were filed about the remark, which the Bridgerton star made when she appeared on ITV's live coverage of the King's coronation celebrations. Acknowledging the backlash in a radio interview, she said: "I think I upset a few people.""

https://news.sky.com/story/adjoa-andohs-terribly-white-coronation-remark-becomes-most-complained-about-moment-of-2023-ofcom-says-12877889

She had a point though.
    I'd suggest that the top 10000 most powerful people in Britain are more racially diverse than any other large country in the world except perhaps Brazil.
    Non-white people haven't been in Britain in large numbers for very long. Of course the royal family is largely white.
    Yes the uk is becoming a very diverse society. Latest census shows white british down to 73.5 % of population of england. White british births in england and wales down to 58% of population in 2019 extrapolating likely 54% now. And white british births likely a minority by 2027. At this point the die is cast and arguments about immigration become redundant as 30 years on white british will be a minority even with zero immigration. To their credit the british people have taken such changes with remarkable tolerance.
    In 2021 90.6% of births in Wales were white Welsh , English, or British
  • Options

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

She had a point though.
    In 2021 90.6% of births in Wales were white Welsh , English, or British
    Well yes wales is substantially more white than england. Personally im proud of the changes in this country and proud of the way the british peoole have accepted it. Onward we go into a better future.
  • Options

Dialup said:

Gas the blacks

Since you’ve clearly come out of the back end of a horse, it’s not surprising that you often post equine faeces..

But really?
    Don't know what the "context" is of this, and I'm not inclined to google it.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,523
    edited May 2023
    Thanks to Cyclefree for this most interesting -- and important -- post.

And I think she will find this November 1st, 2022 article from my home state of Washington of interest:
    "SEATTLE - Despite the progress made processing sexual assault kits, Washington's large backlog remains, according to a report from the state auditor.

The State Auditor's Office (SAO) found the state has greatly improved tracking and processing of some 9,000 untested sexual assault kits, but the backlog still sits at around 6,000."
    source: https://www.fox13seattle.com/news/report-washington-cleared-one-third-of-its-untested-rape-kits-but-large-backlog-remains

That backlog existed for years and years, with little attention paid to it by our elected officials.

(Reminder: The 50 states would vary greatly in this matter, as in so many others, so I would expect some to have similar problems, and some to have none at all.)
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,046
    The latest migration figures due out in two weeks are likely to see record net migration almost double compared to when the UK was in the EU .

Still at least the UK took back control !

I look forward to the right wing press headlines , of course though they’re too embarrassed to say zip now seeing as they duped their gullible readership into voting for the idiocy project .

• Options
    sarissa said:

DavidL said:

I am not sure that my current position allows me to comment on this in any detail. Obviously any views I express are entirely my own. That said:

1. The idea that the LJG can remove judges from the sex crimes court without process is a complete non starter. It is not Article 6 compliant. The only reason I can see for putting such an idea forward would be to trigger another fight with Westminster when they were told not to be so silly. And by the way, as things stand every High Court is a sex court because it takes up nearly 80% of the business.

2, The idea of Judge led trials requires judges willing to do them. At the moment judges can hide behind jury decisions which do not require justification and are almost completely immune from criticism or appeal. (Appeals normally turn on the directions given to juries by judges.) Which judge wants to be the first to say that he did not find the complainer in a rape trial credible? For an answer see 1.

3. I do not think that rape cases are poorly investigated. There have been major improvements in recent years, in particular the researching of prior relationships of the accused to look for other complainers and patterns of behaviour. The problem is rather an atmosphere where it takes great courage not to pursue a rape case to the bitter end in a legal structure which makes it very difficult to stop it getting to the jury. Or, being even blunter about it, we prosecute too many cases with too poor a prospect of conviction.

4. It is true that each case turns on its own facts but the key to a jury's decision is what facts they find important. A judge would have a much harder time of it having to give detailed reasons based on the evidence open to analysis on appeal. This may result in a lot more appeals than the current system.

5. Camp Zeist
    The problem with a lot of these date rape cases is its a he said she said situation. Very difficult to prosecute without witnesses. 80% of cases in courts sex crimes is unbelievable though.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxy (and others) may find this of interest: Recently, I learned that 1 in 10 students who complete their course work to be a doctor in the US, are unable to find a "residency" to finish and become an MD.

(A residency takes place in a hospital, and can be consdiered an apprenticehip, for those who favor this kind of training. Considering the insane work hours, and the mistakes that they produce, I have come to think of residencies as extended "hazing" times.)
  • Options

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

She had a point though.
    Most of the children of people in the White Other category will regard themselves as White British.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

The latest migration figures due out in two weeks are likely to see record net migration almost double compared to when the UK was in the EU .

Still at least the UK took back control !

I look forward to the right wing press headlines , of course though they’re too embarrassed to say zip now seeing as they duped their gullible readership into voting for the idiocy project .

Yes like i say immigration will soon become an irrelevance anyway. Sure red wall racists might bitch and moan but they wont do anything and many will die off soon.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,745
    Tomorrow's Telegraph. Sponsored by Kleenex.
  • Options
    Those racists who voted for brexit to halt immigration prove how stupid they are now european immigration has been replaced by immigration from india and pakistan.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Does it include an hour of free porn?

(Mock the Week reference...)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    geoffw said:

Not a Pyrrhic victory. More like a Pyrrhic stalemate defeat.

Russian brigade flees from Bakhmut, claims Ukraine
    A Russian army brigade has fled from Bakhmut, Ukrainian forces claim.
    They released a video purportedly showing the 72nd Separate Motor-Rifle Brigade abandoning its positions on the southwestern outskirts of the city.
    Moscow has not commented on the reports of the withdrawal of the brigade, the type of which is typically formed of several thousand troops.
    The claims appear to back up comments made by the leader of the Wagner group, Yevgeny Prigozhin, who said yesterday:
    "Our army is fleeing. The 72nd Brigade pissed away three square kilometres this morning, where I had lost around 500 men."
    A Ukrainian brigade confirmed his report "is true".

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-russia-war-latest-putin-victory-day-counter-offensive-12541713

I don't really understand what Prigozhin's game is with his constant commenting. I get seeking to pressure other factions and the proper army, but he seems to update on pretty much everything.
  • Options
    Dialup said:

Standard Daily Mail.

Phwrorr

I like the juxtaposition that can occur, such as this one which at first glance might make you think Lily Collins is a people smuggler that must be stopped.
  • Options
    Dialup said:

I'm sure he would find some pork to barrel if he could.
  • Options
    Apprenticeships for teachers: Recently, noticing the very large proportion of US teachers who quit the profession early -- one common figure is 44% in the first 5 years -- I have begun to think that we should consider a mix of class work and apprenticeships in teacher training. It might go something like this: Half a year of classes, followed by a half a year of working as an assistant, then repeated, at least once. That way those who aren't suited for the profession can learn that quickly, and try something else.

(I would, of course, start with a small experiment, and then scale up if the results were good.)

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468

She looks OK :blush:
  • Options
    Adam Price quits Plaid

BBC News - Plaid Cymru leader Adam Price quits after bullying claims
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65553413
  • Options

Those racists who voted for brexit to halt immigration prove how stupid they are now european immigration has been replaced by immigration from india and pakistan.

Why is the stupidity theirs?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Recent immigration has also come from Ukraine. Hong Kong and Afghanistan
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Because they thought voting brexit would curb immigration. It was obvious it would only affect white european immigration.
  • Options

Adam Price quits Plaid

Oh dear, another nationalist party in trouble?
  • Options
    Odd how certain refugees get safe routes and welcomes and others don't. Surely can't be down to skin colour.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    Just checked the Stoke council result.

Labour have got their mojo back.

Tough ask for the tories at the GE.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Adam Price quits Plaid

Oh dear, another nationalist party in trouble?
    Drakeford was very evasive on the Welsh news when asked if he still supported his coalition with Plaid
  • Options
    I think it's pretty disgraceful how certain users are going after a man who is clearly grieving after just losing his wife.
  • Options
    Dialup said:

I think it's pretty disgraceful how certain users are going after a man who is clearly grieving after just losing his wife.

Sorry?
  • Options
    Dialup said:

What a silly comment

He was asked by ITV Wales and they commented on his evasiveness which is relevant to those of us living in Wales
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    Dialup said:

Sorry, I haven’t followed the PB discussion, but the implication of your argument is high profile - and powerful - politicians should be exempt from criticism after bereavement?

For a period of how long?
  • Options
    ping said:

Dialup said:

Sorry, I haven’t followed the PB discussion, but the implication of your argument is high profile - and powerful - politicians should be exempt from criticism after bereavement?

It was an inane comment as Drakeford was going to a meeting and working
  • Options
    ping said:

Dialup said:

I'm not sure on the time but Gordon Brown was allowed to grieve for example, with a lot of respect from the Tories at the time.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149
    Dialup said:

Odd how certain refugees get safe routes and welcomes and others don't. Surely can't be down to skin colour.

It's wrong to give preferential treatment to people from European countries?
  • Options
    ping said:

Just checked the Stoke council result.

Labour have got their mojo back.

Tough ask for the tories at the GE.

Far too early to say.
  • Options

Dialup said:

I don't see why they get preferential treatment over other countries, no.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Dialup said:

ping said:

Dialup said:

I'm not sure on the time but Gordon Brown was allowed to grieve for example, with a lot of respect from the Tories at the time.
    Drakeford is working and as first minister he was challenged over his and labour's relationship with Plaid as any journalist would do in the circumstances

Sympathy was expressed across the political divide to him at the time of his wife's death on the 28th January 23
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,902
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

She had a point though.
    Most of the children of people in the White Other category will regard themselves as White British.
    My own son, who was born in Germany to a German mother, always ticks the White Western European or White Other box in preference to the White British box, on the grounds that he is only half British.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    If anyone is looking for either the barmiest post on the internet or some great parody I think I just found it.

A scenario sadly overlooked by the fine proprietors of PB.

I have had a horrible thought. We are all pinning our hopes on a hung parliament, but… what if Starmer is planning a coalition with the Tories? Everything he has done and is doing suggests so. We then have a de facto one-party fascist state.

https://twitter.com/Psythor/status/1656275500589891591?cxt=HHwWjoC-7dvyovwtAAAA
  • Options
    I may need more info on the legend of this mab darogan.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,620
    kle4 said:

geoffw said:

Not a Pyrrhic victory. More like a Pyrrhic stalemate defeat.

Russian brigade flees from Bakhmut, claims Ukraine
    A Russian army brigade has fled from Bakhmut, Ukrainian forces claim.
    They released a video purportedly showing the 72nd Separate Motor-Rifle Brigade abandoning its positions on the southwestern outskirts of the city.
    Moscow has not commented on the reports of the withdrawal of the brigade, the type of which is typically formed of several thousand troops.
    The claims appear to back up comments made by the leader of the Wagner group, Yevgeny Prigozhin, who said yesterday:
    "Our army is fleeing. The 72nd Brigade pissed away three square kilometres this morning, where I had lost around 500 men."
    A Ukrainian brigade confirmed his report "is true".

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-russia-war-latest-putin-victory-day-counter-offensive-12541713

I don't really understand what Prigozhin's game is with his constant commenting. I get seeking to pressure other factions and the proper army, but he seems to update on pretty much everything.
    I think that he is cornered.

Either he is being deliberately setup to fail (got too powerful in the Game of Thrones), or he is about to become the scapegoat for Russia’s next military disaster.

When looking at the situation, many people assume that the Russian command must be unified in their determination to beat Ukraine. They are more concerned, I think, in surviving and thriving…

It reminds me of the story of the Sandhurst war games of Operation Sealion. When the young officer playing Goering was asked what the hell he was doing, he replied that he was playing Goering as trying to be the winner in Berlin. Actually successfully invading Britain was secondary.

Everyone agreed that was historically accurate…
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    kle4 said:

I think it's a Game of Thrones thing. The Stallion who will Mount the World.
    Only, "stallion" here is pronounced with the Welsh LL.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If anyone is looking for either the barmiest post on the internet or some great parody I think I just found it.

I have had a horrible thought. We are all pinning our hopes on a hung parliament, but… what if Starmer is planning a coalition with the Tories? Everything he has done and is doing suggests so. We then have a de facto one-party fascist state.

Kiers going to be the next Ramsey? :D
  • Options
    Dialup said:

Dialup said:

I don't see why they get preferential treatment over other countries, no.
    Maybe there's a reciprocal element?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149
    kle4 said:

In his own words, he's going to "bed in" with the Tories. He could hardly be more explicit about his intentions. :)
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,643
    kle4 said:

So not the Welsh Messiah, just a very naughty boy.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    kle4 said:

Reading about it, it looks like a dog whistle racist idea about shifting the Saxons out of Wales. A little sinister.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Reading about it, it looks like a dog whistle racist idea about shifting the Saxons out of Wales. A little sinister.
    It's been about one and a half millenia, sinister or not he's taking his damn time.
  • Options
    For the record, I haven’t believed Dialup to be old CHB for days now. It’s 100% someone else horsing around, most likely the sites creative writing wunderkind Leon, dancing in rings round us and laughing - like the pisky he is.

It’s interesting how, communicating only via posts to a forum, and most of you incognito behind an avatar, but after certain amount of posts, the consistencies or inconsistencies in character and imposters so clearly stand out.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,027
    Steve Fisher https://twitter.com/StephenDFisher

New piece in @prospect_uk arguing that changes in electoral geography at the local elections suggest Labour is on course for a parliamentary majority, even if their poll lead narrows as expected:

https://twitter.com/StephenDFisher/status/1656328475207163904
    https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/61357/keir-starmer-labour-party-electoral-geography-polling-locals
  • Options
    viewcode said:

New piece in @prospect_uk arguing that changes in electoral geography at the local elections suggest Labour is on course for a parliamentary majority, even if their poll lead narrows as expected:

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/61357/keir-starmer-labour-party-electoral-geography-polling-locals

Good grief, I read this entire piece without realising it was written by David Willetts. It's much better than you think and I may have misjudged the author.
  • Options

For the record, I haven’t believed Dialup to be old CHB for days now. It’s 100% someone else horsing around, most likely the sites creative writing wunderkind Leon, dancing in rings round us and laughing - like the pisky he is.

It’s interesting how, communicating only via posts to a forum, and most of you incognito behind an avatar, but after certain amount of posts, the consistencies or inconsistencies in character and imposters so clearly stand out.

It’s elementary really.
    CHB never had so much to say across so wide a range of interesting topics. Does “I ran over a squirrel once and just drove off” sound like a real CHB post, or apisstake? Frustration and provocation from CHB was more heartfelt/emotional - and often recognisable from space - though clunking, not nimble and playful like all these peculiar comments.

Like this

effectively a smoking gun - placed in plain site so it would be found. When did CHB ever have such a well honed ironic sense of humour like this? And why no “30 point lead nailed on”

Imposter Syndrome is all “flirting with the edge” thrill game to some people.

Isn’t it Leon?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

By Pip Fallow"

Interesting article thank you.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Good grief, I read this entire piece without realising it was written by David Willetts. It's much better than you think and I may have misjudged the author.
    Eh?

The piece is written by Stephen Fischer:

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,849
    Harlan Crow didn’t only give hundreds of thousands of dollars to a Supreme Court Justice… he also gave over $450,000 to Republicans sitting on the Judiciary Committee that oversees the courts.

Of course they don’t want to subpoena Harlan Crow.

https://twitter.com/clearing_fog/status/1656395347378475008
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Eh?

The piece is written by Stephen Fischer:

I am stupid.

I read the article by Stephen Fisher:

And then I read another article by David Willetts in the same magazine:
    https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/culture/61297/the-populism-of-matthew-goodwinand-its-many-problems

And I conflated the two in my head.

Hmph

[returns brainy card to pile]
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

She had a point though.
    My own son, who was born in Germany to a German mother, always ticks the White Western European or White Other box in preference to the White British box, on the grounds that he is only half British.
    That's probably the exception to the general situation.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,137
    Dialup said:

Like Hong Kongers you mean?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    WillG said:

Dialup said:

Like Hong Kongers you mean?
    Yes, this year’s immigration numbers include a lot of HKers, who are basically British under the 1997 agreement, and nearly 250k Ukranians, the vast majority of whom are women and children sheltering from the war, and who intend to return there as soon as it’s safe to do so.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/immigration-system-statistics-year-ending-december-2022/summary-of-latest-statistics
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,347
    edited May 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Are you defending racists?

I tend to agree with our Russian? (no capital letters) friend that racists are stupid, period. I suspect he is alluding to the idea that if racists didn't want European immigration they probably want Indian Sub-Continent immigration even less, due to their creed and colour bigotry surpassing their hatred of those
    who they consider are merely non-English first language-foreign, availing themselves of schools, hospitals and GP surgeries the length and breadth of Britain.

The poster was very specific when he referred to "racists".
This discussion has been closed.