Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sentence first – verdict afterwards – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,093
    "This is how much Mirror Group Newspapers was spending each year on private investigators. Staggering sums, totalling nearly £11m. Came to a screeching halt with
    @Bynickdavies's Milly Dowler story in 2011"

https://twitter.com/arusbridger/status/1656293614324965377
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    Sturgeon husband kept SNP treasurer ‘in the dark’ over purchase of £110,000 campervan

Nicola Sturgeon’s husband kept secret the purchase of a £110,000 campervan with SNP cash from the officials tasked with managing its accounts, it can be revealed.

The Times has learnt that Douglas Chapman, the former party treasurer, was kept in the dark about the six-figure luxury vehicle expense while he was in post.

Colin Beattie, the other official to hold the position, has also said that he only became aware of the vehicle being bought through the SNP’s 2021 accounts.

It means officials meant to scrutinise how the party spends money were unaware of a significant high-value purchase purportedly to be used as an election battle-bus...

...“Douglas did not know about [the campervan] when he was treasurer,” a source close to Chapman said. It is unclear when or how he did find out about the purchase.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nicola-sturgeon-husband-campervan-snp-money-peter-murrell-2023-lbvfvr5rs
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,849
    Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

"Laurence Fox 💙 🇺🇦 🇪🇺 🌹 🏴‍☠️
    @LozzaFox

Andrew Bridgen - 'I've joined the Reclaim Party because they respect free speech'

Free speech belongs to everyone. It doesn’t discriminate.

Andrew Bridgen officially joins Laurence Fox's Reclaim Party as he lashes out at Tories"

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1656317825269612545

https://xkcd.com/1357/
    I thought that one was about Tucker C.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,572
    edited May 2023

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Elitist snob that I am, I'm not the only one who would prefer his doctors to have degrees?

NHS scheme will allow school leavers to train as doctors without traditional medical degree

New apprenticeships would put people on wards straight after their A-levels, instead of paying pricey fees for five years at university

School leavers will be able to start working as doctors without going to university, under new NHS plans to fix the growing staff crisis.

The apprenticeship scheme could allow one in 10 doctors to start work without a traditional medical degree, straight after their A-levels. A third of nurses are also expected to be trained under the "radical new approach".

It is the centrepiece of a long-delayed NHS workforce strategy, following warnings that staff shortages in England could reach half a million without action to find new ways to train and recruit health workers.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/10/doctors-practice-without-degree-university-nhs-apprentice/

For life experience, you mean, or because unis will train them better technically? Not sure the latter has to apply. Eg if you have top A levels and then combine work experience with study in some non-uni setting I can see that this might produce good doctors?
    There is something to be said for seeing how folk interact at an early stage - benefits both sides before they go too far. Mrs C did quite a bit of voluntary work with old folk when considering what university degree to go for. She went into another field, but to this day has much more sympathy and understanding with the old than many of us do.

But there are other ways to achieve that specific aim.
    Maybe a plus for the idea is it might help more young people from poorer non-professional backgrounds into medicine? Those who are clever enough but are put off uni by the cost of it and the debt you have to take on.
    Working class kids were hardly teeming into medicine before the introduction of fees.
    Or into any profession for that matter.
    It's a tribute to the country that skin colour isn't a bar to getting into professional jobs, it is your social class.
    A hereditary monarchy means that someone from mine or TSE's ethnic/religious background(s) will never become King or Queen.
    Tey could.

Prince George marries a non white woman, has kids, and we have our first not white monarch.

But yes, people of our ethnicity cannot get the job because of the de facto colour bar on the job.
    What a load of shite

Kate Middleton - now the most popular royal of all and entirely "common" and granddaughter of a coalminer, is destined to be Queen, and is the wife to our next King and mother to the King thereafter

And she's great at the job: poised, intelligent, beautiful, mostly reserved and reticent - not unlike QE2

Meghan could easily have been as popular but she went for the Hollywood shortcut of racial whining, I don't think it will serve her well

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,347

Dialup said:

NEW: Rishi Sunak’s press secretary repeatedly refuses to rule out the Tories entering into a post-election pact with any party, including the DUP.

Comes despite the Tories jumping up and down about Keir Starmer failing to rule out a deal with the Lib Dems.

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1656268204665188356

Tories cannot do politics again

From Sky.

… Number 10 has refused to rule out a Tory deal with the DUP or other parties if it fails to secure a majority at the next general election.
    Rishi Sunak's spokesman said: "I don't think anyone at this stage is going to speculate on the results of the next election…

WTF? Speculating on the Lib Lab coalition of chaos after the next election results is EXACTLY what Sunak did at PMQs 🫣
    Very Off topic

I missed PMQs because I am on my holidays. Yay!

And Rabbit, I know you like the Walter Presents Italian fare on C4, but have you seen Porta Rossa ( Red Door). Series 1 is the greatest series of drama writing I have seen in any language in many a year, and I've seen many years!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061

Sturgeon husband kept SNP treasurer ‘in the dark’ over purchase of £110,000 campervan

Nicola Sturgeon’s husband kept secret the purchase of a £110,000 campervan with SNP cash from the officials tasked with managing its accounts, it can be revealed.

The Times has learnt that Douglas Chapman, the former party treasurer, was kept in the dark about the six-figure luxury vehicle expense while he was in post.

Colin Beattie, the other official to hold the position, has also said that he only became aware of the vehicle being bought through the SNP’s 2021 accounts.

It means officials meant to scrutinise how the party spends money were unaware of a significant high-value purchase purportedly to be used as an election battle-bus...

...“Douglas did not know about [the campervan] when he was treasurer,” a source close to Chapman said. It is unclear when or how he did find out about the purchase.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nicola-sturgeon-husband-campervan-snp-money-peter-murrell-2023-lbvfvr5rs

I would love to hear the innocent explanation for this behaviour.

It wasn't used, so he got no gain from it, but if it isn't criminal the man is an absolute incompetent if that is true.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,102
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Elitist snob that I am, I'm not the only one who would prefer his doctors to have degrees?

NHS scheme will allow school leavers to train as doctors without traditional medical degree

New apprenticeships would put people on wards straight after their A-levels, instead of paying pricey fees for five years at university

School leavers will be able to start working as doctors without going to university, under new NHS plans to fix the growing staff crisis.

The apprenticeship scheme could allow one in 10 doctors to start work without a traditional medical degree, straight after their A-levels. A third of nurses are also expected to be trained under the "radical new approach".

It is the centrepiece of a long-delayed NHS workforce strategy, following warnings that staff shortages in England could reach half a million without action to find new ways to train and recruit health workers.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/10/doctors-practice-without-degree-university-nhs-apprentice/

For life experience, you mean, or because unis will train them better technically? Not sure the latter has to apply. Eg if you have top A levels and then combine work experience with study in some non-uni setting I can see that this might produce good doctors?
    There is something to be said for seeing how folk interact at an early stage - benefits both sides before they go too far. Mrs C did quite a bit of voluntary work with old folk when considering what university degree to go for. She went into another field, but to this day has much more sympathy and understanding with the old than many of us do.

Maybe a plus for the idea is it might help more young people from poorer non-professional backgrounds into medicine? Those who are clever enough but are put off uni by the cost of it and the debt you have to take on.
    Working class kids were hardly teeming into medicine before the introduction of fees.
    It would be interesting to see whether there were more "working class" children accessing the professions back in the days of grammar schools. Love them or loathe them, they gave access to a level of education now reserved for those who can privately educate or are able to buy a house in an area that has a top performing school.

Of course, it also depends on your definition of "working class". Personally I think people who keep using this anachronistic term are as responsible for the maintenance of the class system as much as the worst middle class snob.
    The pundit, er, classes, always seem more obsessed by class than anyone I've ever met in real life. But that might be just my class talking.
    That’s true. I wonder if it’s because they associate with people who have money/power/both without being part of the group. So they like to self-identify as having class?

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,025

Andy_JS said:

"Adjoa Andoh's 'terribly white' coronation remark becomes most complained about moment of 2023, Ofcom says

Thousands of complaints were filed about the remark, which the Bridgerton star made when she appeared on ITV's live coverage of the King's coronation celebrations. Acknowledging the backlash in a radio interview, she said: "I think I upset a few people.""

https://news.sky.com/story/adjoa-andohs-terribly-white-coronation-remark-becomes-most-complained-about-moment-of-2023-ofcom-says-12877889

Good. People are getting fed up with such banal and stupid commentary.

It's on its way out, I think.
    It all started with Greg Dyke's "hideously white" comment in about 2003 IIRC.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,572
    kle4 said:

I would love to hear the innocent explanation for this behaviour.

It wasn't used, so he got no gain from it, but if it isn't criminal the man is an absolute incompetent if that is true.
    Yes, it will be surreally good value, as drama, if the SNP is brought down entirely by a campervan that 1. they couldn't drive, and 2. they never used, and 3. left parked in the driveway of 93 year old Mr Sturgeon's Mam
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,453
    edited May 2023

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Ii think this is a brilliant idea. It used to be that the professions acquired skills via non-degree means like apprenticeships or evening classes. If this follows a similar route we get skilled doctors earlier and cheaper
    I think it unlikely that they will progress more swiftly if they have to pass the same exams.

Unless the scheme is only done with insignificant numbers of candidates, there is a major need for skilled supervisors amongst more senior doctors. I really don't see where that capacity comes from for this scheme, nor for that matter with Labour's plan to double numbers.
    A problem is that the current system is not producing routinely stellar doctors and GPs. Some are awful. The question is whether any changes would alter the ratio of good :: bad doctors. The article's paywalled, so I cannot access it, which means the following might be totally off-piste.

IA obviously NAE, but it seems to me there are many classes of 'doctors': from one working in A&E, to one involved in medical research, to ones who do the same sort of tasks day to day, to the House-style miracle diagnostician. I would not be in the least bit surprised if current medical degrees taught you a broad background, but a vast amount of the learning happened on the job afterwards. As happens with all degrees.

I don't have a degree, and I would like to think I did fairly well in my career despite (because?) of this. I am in favour of people without degrees getting chances; and certainly against them having doors closed to them. But then I think of someone without a degree trying to diagnose an illness I might have, and I worry. But then again, doctors have proved rather poor in that situation in the past...
    This is the scheme:

https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/doctor-degree-v1-0
    Thanks for that. I haven't read it yet, but I might suggest that whoever created that webpage go on a 'how to use paragraphs' course. ;)
    Perhaps they could get an Apprentice to do it...
    TBF I'd have more confidence in GPs if they could actually write legible prescriptions. I would not be surprised if this was a cause of a fair few medical issues every year.
    A student complained once she had trouble reading my handwriting on the work I'd marked.

I said, 'what's the point in being a doctor if you can't have handwriting that's totally illegible?'
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,334
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

"Adjoa Andoh's 'terribly white' coronation remark becomes most complained about moment of 2023, Ofcom says

Thousands of complaints were filed about the remark, which the Bridgerton star made when she appeared on ITV's live coverage of the King's coronation celebrations. Acknowledging the backlash in a radio interview, she said: "I think I upset a few people.""

https://news.sky.com/story/adjoa-andohs-terribly-white-coronation-remark-becomes-most-complained-about-moment-of-2023-ofcom-says-12877889

If only Dyke had been in a position to have done something about it,
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,347

Roger said:

Robert Jenrick being eviscerated by Chrishnan Guru-Murthy.

No wonder the Sunak regime is falling apart.

Sunak sounded like a rank amateur at PMQs today.
    When it comes to actual politics, Rishi is an amateur. Catapulted into a safe seat, so he's never had the joy of trudging the streets of Grimup North in a futile attempt to get people to vote for him. An MP for not very long at all, then Chancellor, then PM. There's not really anything in his CV to prepare him for the fate he's now experiencing.

For the sake of balance, the greenness of Starmer should also be pointed out. But he's not trying to run the country at the same time as getting better at politics.
    The flipside to the two incompetent at politics clowns running the two main parties is they do have some common sense going forward in terms of policy practicality and presentation. Johnson and Truss, it is claimed are consumate campaigners, but neither has a grip.on reality or a milligramme of common sense between them.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

It would be interesting to see whether there were more "working class" children accessing the professions back in the days of grammar schools. Love them or loathe them, they gave access to a level of education now reserved for those who can privately educate or are able to buy a house in an area that has a top performing school.

Of course, it also depends on your definition of "working class". Personally I think people who keep using this anachronistic term are as responsible for the maintenance of the class system as much as the worst middle class snob.
    What is class? is a PB repeater that I don't wish to trigger but for me - in its serious political sense - it's about money rather than all of that 'using a fish knife' fun to talk about stuff. So you have rich and poor and shades of in between.
    I think you have used the phrase often though have you not? Am I mixing you up with someone else, but did you not describe yourself as such?
    Yes, I have done - but I said 'poorer non professional background' on this thread.
    Excellent. I hope that you have removed the ghastly phrase from your otherwise relatively broad lexicon (well for a chartered accountant anyway)
    The Nigel regime is all about policing other people's language.
    I am not sure I like the sound of "The Nigel Regime". It sounds like a highly unpleasant fascist dictatorship in a dystopian parallel universe where Farage won a landslide and then decided to invade Ireland.
    Suddenly the XTC song "We're only making plans for Nigel" takes on a much darker hue. A think tank in this alt-history Farageverse.
    "Nigel Wants to go and see Depeche Mode" by Attila the Stockbroker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn8T9M-6ktw
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 941

TBF I'd have more confidence in GPs if they could actually write legible prescriptions. I would not be surprised if this was a cause of a fair few medical issues every year.

I think the vast majority are now electronic.
    I didn't think AI had advanced quite that far just yet, but it would certainly solve the recruitment difficulties...

• Options
    ohnotnow said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

What is class? is a PB repeater that I don't wish to trigger but for me - in its serious political sense - it's about money rather than all of that 'using a fish knife' fun to talk about stuff. So you have rich and poor and shades of in between.
    I think you have used the phrase often though have you not? Am I mixing you up with someone else, but did you not describe yourself as such?
    Yes, I have done - but I said 'poorer non professional background' on this thread.
    Excellent. I hope that you have removed the ghastly phrase from your otherwise relatively broad lexicon (well for a chartered accountant anyway)
    The Nigel regime is all about policing other people's language.
    I am not sure I like the sound of "The Nigel Regime". It sounds like a highly unpleasant fascist dictatorship in a dystopian parallel universe where Farage won a landslide and then decided to invade Ireland.
    Suddenly the XTC song "We're only making plans for Nigel" takes on a much darker hue. A think tank in this alt-history Farageverse.
    Oddly enough, I was listening to the Nouvelle Vague cover of that just last night :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQu1c4UflE
    Nouvelle Vague and Depeche Mode crossover: Master & Servant featuring Martin Gore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYAfR2ecdpE
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,102

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

It's a tribute to the country that skin colour isn't a bar to getting into professional jobs, it is your social class.
    A hereditary monarchy means that someone from mine or TSE's ethnic/religious background(s) will never become King or Queen.
    They could.

Prince George marries a non white woman, has kids, and we have our first not white monarch.

But yes, people of our ethnicity cannot get the job because of the de facto colour bar on the job.
    But it’s also (most likely) a permanent switch - in your scenario Prince George would be our *last* white monarch
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

They could.

But it’s also (most likely) a permanent switch - in your scenario Prince George would be our *last* white monarch
    Give it a few generations and a monarch could be white again. Plenty of people with non obvious heritage.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Apart from Meghan how many non-white Royals are there?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505

Andy_JS said:

She had a point though.
    I'd suggest that the top 10000 most powerful people in Britain are more racially diverse than any other large country in the world except perhaps Brazil.
    Non-white people haven't been in Britain in large numbers for very long. Of course the royal family is largely white.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Tey could.

What a load of shite

Kate Middleton - now the most popular royal of all and entirely "common" and granddaughter of a coalminer, is destined to be Queen, and is the wife to our next King and mother to the King thereafter

And she's great at the job: poised, intelligent, beautiful, mostly reserved and reticent - not unlike QE2

Meghan could easily have been as popular but she went for the Hollywood shortcut of racial whining, I don't think it will serve her well

Monarchism = Racism!
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635
    edited May 2023
    Roger said:

Yes he was terrible.

OTOH wokeist interviewers on this subject have a dead easy ride in that there are massive and insoluble intellectual flaws with all currently lawful refugee/asylum arrangements - the current state of play is a useless disgrace but that isn't really the fault of western democratic governments.

But the liberal interviewer never has to explain either what they, as a whole, would do instead within what is electorally possible.

The moral high ground is a very cerebral and impractical place on this horrible issue.

Sir K will find it no easier.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,215
    Sir Robbie Gibb, a BBC board member, ordered a news chief not to interrogate Vote Leave’s £350 million Brexit bus campaign after the referendum, a book has claimed.

Gibb, who was editor of live political programmes in 2016 and went on to work for Theresa May in No 10, was “horrified” by the idea of putting the controversial claim under the microscope, according to Rob Burley, a former BBC editor.

In Why Is This Lying Bastard Lying To Me?, which is published this week, Burley, who was editor of The Andrew Marr Show at the time, said that Gibb pushed back against his ambition to investigate for fear of making the BBC look like sore losers.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbc-editor-ordered-colleague-not-to-investigate-350m-brexit-bus-claim-mpmnmmj3w
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,680

I'm watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail this evening.

Something for everyone there, I trust.

Keep an eye out for the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch: least seen in Westminster on Saturday:
    https://twitter.com/Bobby_Seagull/status/1654788805419835392
    I forgot how utterly bonkers it is. Even the introductory credits.

For a second I thought it had Danish subtitles and tried to turn them off. Then, the penny dropped and it got more and more absurd.

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,643

Dialup said:

NEW: Rishi Sunak’s press secretary repeatedly refuses to rule out the Tories entering into a post-election pact with any party, including the DUP.

Comes despite the Tories jumping up and down about Keir Starmer failing to rule out a deal with the Lib Dems.

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1656268204665188356

Tories cannot do politics again

From Sky.

… Number 10 has refused to rule out a Tory deal with the DUP or other parties if it fails to secure a majority at the next general election.
    Rishi Sunak's spokesman said: "I don't think anyone at this stage is going to speculate on the results of the next election…

WTF? Speculating on the Lib Lab coalition of chaos after the next election results is EXACTLY what Sunak did at PMQs 🫣
    Very Off topic

I missed PMQs because I am on my holidays. Yay!

And Rabbit, I know you like the Walter Presents Italian fare on C4, but have you seen Porta Rossa ( Red Door). Series 1 is the greatest series of drama writing I have seen in any language in many a year, and I've seen many years!
    I havn’t, but I’ll look out for it.

I’m a sucker for Ted Lasso at the moment.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Tey could.

What a load of shite

They're trolling you.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,181
    Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

She had a point though.
    I'd suggest that the top 10000 most powerful people in Britain are more racially diverse than any other large country in the world except perhaps Brazil.
    Non-white people haven't been in Britain in large numbers for very long. Of course the royal family is largely white.
    For all its problems in this area I am pretty sure (from having lived there) that the US elite is more racially diverse than ours is, although that's only to be expected as they are a significantly more racially diverse country.
  • Options
    DialupDialup Posts: 561
    Gas the blacks
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

How long before the UK gets a non-white King or Queen?
    Queen Meghan after a remarkable series of mishaps.
    I would be so much of a Royalist were that to come to pass.
    Quite a few people would switch sides, I reckon.
    Not me. The whole lot of them can get in the sea.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,849
    So, I texted Tucker Carlson. He texted back. He said he was running for president. I asked him for some backup. Then he says he was only kidding. But ... he won't rule out a run. Also, he's "fundamentally a dick" — his words.
    https://twitter.com/Schwartzesque/status/1656340631717806085
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

They could.

Only if white = totally white and black = even a little bit black.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Well, I for one will miss you.
    :lol:
  • Options

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

She had a point though.
    For all its problems in this area I am pretty sure (from having lived there) that the US elite is more racially diverse than ours is, although that's only to be expected as they are a significantly more racially diverse country.
    Fair enough.
  • Options
    Sigh.
  • Options

For our native porcine fancier: a pig on a chip:

https://twitter.com/duke_cpu/status/1656350958333329412

I see snout wrong with it. Maybe it’s inspection approval for the pig chipping industry.

https://americanminipigassociation.com/breeder-articles/microchipping-piglets-permanent-identification/

Don’t lose a pig in a poke when the pig on a chip can be the chip in your pig?

Just an educated guess 🤷‍♀️
  • Options

Sigh.

High.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Sigh.

The Knights who say "Sigh"?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

They could.

Yes, I find this conversation a little troubling. If a white and a black parent have a child, that child could identify as white just as easily as black, or both, or neither.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,163
    edited May 2023

Roger said:

There was a bizarre episode where he, for reasons known only to himself, cited Reeves saying she would have a “problem” balancing the books. The reason she said that was because the Tories had mismanaged the public finances. It wasn’t to clear to me - or seemingly anyone - why he would seek to highlight that.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

They could.

Yes, I find this conversation a little troubling. If a white and a black parent have a child, that child could identify as white just as easily as black, or both, or neither.
    Obama had a white mum, and Meghan a white dad - both conveniently forgotten.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

She’d make a superb queen. I would temporarily lay down my republicanism were that to come to pass.
  • Options

Sigh.

You're Robin us of our punchlines.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

There’s that lady is it at Longleat who is a minor baroness or some such. Not sure there are any others?
  • Options

Roger said:

There was a bizarre episode where he, for reasons known only to himself, cited Reeves saying she would have a “problem” balancing the books. The reason she said that was because the Tories had mismanaged the public finances. It wasn’t to clear to me - or seemingly anyone - why he would seek to highlight that.
    He is rubbish at this. Not like Blair he is trying to copy.

He said when the Tories came into office the deficit was at a record level. What is it at now?

He doesn't seem to actually understand what he is doing.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,000

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

There’s that lady is it at Longleat who is a minor baroness or some such. Not sure there are any others?
    Minor baroness? She's the Marchioness of Bath now!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,842
    ydoethur said:

Sigh.

It's only a flesh wound.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,335

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

They could.

Obama had a white mum, and Meghan a white dad - both conveniently forgotten.
    The whole thing is a farce…

(Rest of post deleted for sanity)
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,300
    Dialup said:

Gas the blacks

Since you’ve clearly come out of the back end of a horse, it’s not surprising that you often post equine faeces..

But really?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Minor baroness? She's the Marchioness of Bath now!
    I have no idea where that stands in the hierarchy as I have zero interest in the royalty but I remember seeing her in one of my wife’s magazines.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Sigh.

It's only a flesh wound.
    Are we going to keep this going all knight?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,335

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

She’d make a superb queen. I would temporarily lay down my republicanism were that to come to pass.
    Why? She seems to lack any grace and humility and expects to be treated as a Hollywood A lister, which seems to have been the issue with Palace staff.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

She had a point though.
    Not sure that is true. Historically, the US elite were essentially the WASP families from the likes of Boston, New York and the North East. In the likes of Texas, it would be the old families and, on the West Coast, it would be those in the Media industries and now Tech.
  • Options

Dialup said:

Gas the blacks

Since you’ve clearly come out of the back end of a horse, it’s not surprising that you often post equine faeces..

But really?
    You've never heard that song??
  • Options
    Dialup said:

Roger said:

He is rubbish at this. Not like Blair he is trying to copy.

He said when the Tories came into office the deficit was at a record level. What is it at now?

He doesn't seem to actually understand what he is doing.
    Reminds me of that old saw: “when I arrived the situation was terrible — and it got steadily worse from there.”
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

The pundit, er, classes, always seem more obsessed by class than anyone I've ever met in real life. But that might be just my class talking.
    I always find it a little odd when people say "I am proud to be working class" when they are actually a very well off BBC producer or novelist or such like. Perhaps it is code for "look how clever I was to come from this humble background and yet be soooo successful"

I guess I find the concept of being "proud" about anything that you did not chose a little peculiar.
    Depends on how you define class. Some people would draw one line: those whose income is from work, and those whose income is from wealth.
    I personally find that the most illuminating distinction rather than noodling around in all these nanoscopic details about whether a self-employed plumber is middle class, upper working class or whatever.

And by that token, being proud of making your own way rather than leeching off rent is something that makes sense. A lot of sense.
    Yes that's meaningful. But a high earner will amass wealth and the yield from that can soon enough become a big part of their income.
    The catch being the degree to which that no longer happens.

Unless you are a very long way up the professional tree, having a maiden aunt who leaves you the proceeds of her flat in Islington outweighs almost anything people can save from the proceeds of work.

We really shouldn't have let things get this far out of hand.
    Yes. Rein it in now. Before it's too late.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Why? She seems to lack any grace and humility and expects to be treated as a Hollywood A lister, which seems to have

the issue with Palace staff.
    I was being facetious but it would be quite entertaining for a while at least
  • Options

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Why? She seems to lack any grace and humility and expects to be treated as a Hollywood A lister, which seems to have been the issue with Palace staff.
    Like when she had had a quiet little rage-cry at a pen not working no wait that was someone else.
  • Options

Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Gas the blacks

But really?
    I don’t care if it’s a song

It’s an utterly idiotic thing to post without context

Rein yourself in
    I've posted the context. Not my fault you didn't know the song. Mate.
  • Options

Roger said:

He quoted Alastair Darling to support the point, in a way that wasn’t quite clear, supporting a point that wasn’t quite clear. Reeves responded with Air Miles Sunak couldn’t have actually met any real people on the campaign he was holed up in his helicopter.

One aspect is, a team should be preparing PM for PMQs, if that team is better perhaps he comes across better. That team sent him out today with the soundbite labour have no policies, followed by the soundbite the amount of labours policy commitments total a ninety billion pound black hole. If it was a task on a reality show, it would be a fail.

On the other hand though, even with a better script, Sunak exchanging barbed jokes brings out the worst of him - reminiscent of those Good Morning appearances trying to sound sincere about his favourite Mac Donald’s. It had been discontinued ages ago.

To be honest, I don’t really like joke leaden PMQs. Today wasn’t Starmer’s best day either, he came across very smarmy. If I was Loto, I wouldn’t even have mentioned the elections, I would have stuck to yesterdays bad NHS news with serious and tad angry delivery style. Use some real examples of people suffering a waiting list, as the waiting lists get bigger. Water company dividends doubling due to such a great year they have had is a great question today too.
  • Options
    Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Gas the blacks

But really?

Rein yourself in
    0.5 CV
  • Options

Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Gas the blacks

But really?

Rein yourself in
    0.5 CV
    No that's not the name of the song. Perhaps try Google. Mate.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925

Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Gas the blacks

But really?

Rein yourself in
    You tell him Blanch. It was a stupid comment. Wind your neck in @Dialup 😂
  • Options
    Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Gas the blacks

But really?

Rein yourself in
    0.5 CV
    Neigh
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Gas the blacks

But really?

Rein yourself in
    Try Google. Mate.
  • Options

Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Gas the blacks

But really?

Rein yourself in
    0.5 CV
    Neigh
    No that's also not it.

Perhaps try this. Google.co.uk. It's a search engine.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,407

Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Gas the blacks

But really?

Rein yourself in
    I am simply astonished anyone could post such a comment without context
  • Options
    Crazy motherfucker named ice cube

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Sigh.

It's only a flesh wound.
    Zoot alors!
  • Options
    Dialup said:

Maybe put the booze down and log-off for the night.

We've seen this from you before.
  • Options
    Dialup said:

Please stop
  • Options
    Dialup said:

GIN1138 said:

Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Gas the blacks

But really?

Rein yourself in
    Try Google. Mate.
    If someone has to resort to Google to find out what they hell you are on about then your post has failed.

At the end of the day what you post is up to you... but be aware sooner or later you'll find yourself on the wrong side of PB Moderator...
  • Options
    Those crazy useless c*nts London Underground?

One for the Tories of the board. A classic, the music taste here is dreadful.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906

Lib dem peer Brian Paddick has tabled a fatal motion on the Immigration Bill but Labour will not support the motion

Apparently the reason was tactical. though the vast majority from all parties despise it voting against will only delay it for a short time. By putting forward amendments they can delay it into the recess and beyond.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Dialup said:

GIN1138 said:

Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Gas the blacks

But really?

Rein yourself in
    Try Google. Mate.
    If someone has to resort to Google to find out what they hell you are on about then your post has failed.

At the end of the day what you post is up to you... but be aware sooner or later you'll find yourself on the wrong side of PB Moderator...
    Up your Spotify listening time. You're missing out.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    DavidL said:

I am not sure that my current position allows me to comment on this in any detail. Obviously any views I express are entirely my own. That said:

1. The idea that the LJG can remove judges from the sex crimes court without process is a complete non starter. It is not Article 6 compliant. The only reason I can see for putting such an idea forward would be to trigger another fight with Westminster when they were told not to be so silly. And by the way, as things stand every High Court is a sex court because it takes up nearly 80% of the business.

2, The idea of Judge led trials requires judges willing to do them. At the moment judges can hide behind jury decisions which do not require justification and are almost completely immune from criticism or appeal. (Appeals normally turn on the directions given to juries by judges.) Which judge wants to be the first to say that he did not find the complainer in a rape trial credible? For an answer see 1.

3. I do not think that rape cases are poorly investigated. There have been major improvements in recent years, in particular the researching of prior relationships of the accused to look for other complainers and patterns of behaviour. The problem is rather an atmosphere where it takes great courage not to pursue a rape case to the bitter end in a legal structure which makes it very difficult to stop it getting to the jury. Or, being even blunter about it, we prosecute too many cases with too poor a prospect of conviction.

4. It is true that each case turns on its own facts but the key to a jury's decision is what facts they find important. A judge would have a much harder time of it having to give detailed reasons based on the evidence open to analysis on appeal. This may result in a lot more appeals than the current system.

Tldr

It's a very stupid idea.

TBF Mr L even before you spoke this was obvious to everyone, well, everyone except the terminally stupid like Mr Yousaf.

So I don't think you need to worry about conflict of interest.
  • Options

Dialup said:

Maybe put the booze down and log-off for the night.

We've seen this from you before.
    Yooth eh CR? 😂
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Dialup said:

Please stop
    Sadly he is following form and if it continues there will only be one end result

Completely unnecessary and disrespectful to this forum
  • Options

Farooq said:

Dialup said:

Please stop
    Sadly he is following form and if it continues there will only be one end result

Completely unnecessary and disrespectful to this forum
    Thank you.
  • Options
    Speaking of the terminally stupid leaders of Nat parties, has Adam Price utilised the whisky and revolver yet?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,287
    Totally normal one on this board tonight I see.
  • Options
    In other news, so far as I understand it, the Vodafone and H3G tie-up will be announced by the end of the Summer.

The goal is for Hutchison to leave the UK market long-term. The initial arrangement would be 51/49 Vodafone/H3G with a view to Hutchison reducing their stake over time.

All subject to change - but this is from friends still at Big Red
  • Options
    Roger said:

Lib dem peer Brian Paddick has tabled a fatal motion on the Immigration Bill but Labour will not support the motion

Apparently the reason was tactical. though the vast majority from all parties despise it voting against will only delay it for a short time. By putting forward amendments they can delay it into the recess and beyond.
    Possibly but it will go through albeit with some amendments
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,215
    ydoethur said:

Nih !!!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

Nih !!!
    Oh what times we live in when any passing ruffian can say 'ni' to an old woman.

Even those who design and build shrubberies are under considerable economic stress.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,620
    edited May 2023

"This is how much Mirror Group Newspapers was spending each year on private investigators. Staggering sums, totalling nearly £11m. Came to a screeching halt with
    @Bynickdavies's Milly Dowler story in 2011"

https://twitter.com/arusbridger/status/1656293614324965377

The dirty secret was everyone was doing this. Even the Guardian admitted using the phone voicemail password thing.

PNC records were £50 a time. Etc…

The reason - such methods would generate stories that were definitely true. To the editors and owners that made them, they thought, legally bulletproof….

Fucking hilarious that….

But don’t worry. Ordinary people were affected as well. It turned out that some weird events involving a sports club I knew, related to a very weird and paranoid committee member using a private investigator like this on his fellows. Mucked up some people’s lives.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    As for comment within the H3G camp, I am afraid I am not aware of their thinking.

But the Vodafone side is that they are unable to compete with EE with their current standing and so what a tie-up to go toe-to-toe with EE.

They would be prepared to sell spectrum to have the deal pushed through, most likely to be bought by the smallest provider, i.e. VM/O2.

Vodafone/Three would be prepared to cap bills for a limited time to ease any deal.
  • Options

Roger said:

It is a government not a "regime"
    Is there a difference between a government and a regime?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,379
    Stop feeding the troll.
  • Options

Stop feeding the troll.

Have you eaten this evening? I will feed you bbz x
  • Options
    @Dialup stop trying to stirrup the site or you’ll saddle yourself with an even worse reputation
  • Options

@Dialup stop trying to stirrup the site or you’ll saddle yourself with an even worse reputation

It couldn't get much worse :) But you care a lot more than I do, you do you do boo
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    Not a Pyrrhic victory. More like a Pyrrhic stalemate defeat.

Russian brigade flees from Bakhmut, claims Ukraine
    A Russian army brigade has fled from Bakhmut, Ukrainian forces claim.
    They released a video purportedly showing the 72nd Separate Motor-Rifle Brigade abandoning its positions on the southwestern outskirts of the city.
    Moscow has not commented on the reports of the withdrawal of the brigade, the type of which is typically formed of several thousand troops.
    The claims appear to back up comments made by the leader of the Wagner group, Yevgeny Prigozhin, who said yesterday:
    "Our army is fleeing. The 72nd Brigade pissed away three square kilometres this morning, where I had lost around 500 men."
    A Ukrainian brigade confirmed his report "is true".

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-russia-war-latest-putin-victory-day-counter-offensive-12541713
  • Options

It's his unbridled nature.
  • Options

It's his unbridled nature.
    He's just horsing around!
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Dialup said:

It couldn't get much worse :) But you care a lot more than I do, you do you do boo
    Why are you provoking so many tonight

It is not clever
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/05/vodafone-to-start-switching-off-rest-of-uk-3g-network-from-june-2023.html

Vodafone to Start Switching Off Rest of UK 3G Network from June 2023

Don't know if anyone saw this but FYI Vodafone will turn of 3G completely by the end of this year.

In the case of Vodafone, the operator has today stated that their national shutdown will happen in phases throughout the remainder of 2023, starting in June with Hull, Oxford and Greater London, before progressing across the South. The remainder of the UK will follow later in the year.

So I'm first :) Hopefully with some juicy re-farming to come.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,228
    I hope no one is losing the plot on here tonight 😈
  • Options
    Prince Harry is blaming press intrusion for destroying his relationship with Chelsy Davy.

Is this buyers remorse?
This discussion has been closed.