Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Without the NHS improving Sunak’s government looks doomed – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,759
    edited April 2023
    ClippP said:

Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

As a man of advanced years, I have to say there are few greater pleasures than sitting in a rooftop bar in Bangkok, under the tropic stars, sipping a splendid Tanqueray 10 and tonic, and reading about the SNP fucking up YET AGAIN

You need to get out more.
    On this occasion I think Leon has it right! I only wish I could get to Bangkok again.
    i wish you the best of luck in getting out here

Thankfully, the truly hideous heat has abated, somewhat, and it is all much more tolerable. The evenings are soft and sweet, again, rather than baking and humid. The pollution has cleared as well

And Bangkok has the amazing energy, still, if not even more than before. I was just in the Food Court at the basement of Siam Paragon - about 90 hectares of thousands of people eating every cuisine in the world, and doing it noisily, happily, enjoyably (because the food is GOOD). Across the city the bars are full, the whisky pop ups are back, the cocktail VW combis with dancing tattooed ladyboys are back, the squid sellers in their carts trundle the streets, behind the blind accordion players and the hi society Chinese women in their limos, it’s as sensational as city as it ever was, and yet more skyscrapers rise even as I speak

There is no sense the Great Asian Boom is over, quite the opposite. Asia is still overtaking the west. No western city, not NYC, London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, LA (lol), anywhere, has the sheer vivacity and exuberance of Bangkok
    Nor, thank God, the pollution, humidity, mosquitoes, sprawl and general squalor.

Bangkok is the worst part of Thailand - best to head to the hills, beaches or islands asap.
    If you love the hedonistic pleasures of great cities - food, wine, fun, sex, bars, weird people, orgies, meeting Nick Palmer in a sauna, spectacular strangeness - Bangkok is fabulous.
    Does "hedonistic" mean "depraved"? Not convinced that I am cut out for so many hedonistic pleasures....
    "Hedonistic pleasures" is a bit of a tautology, since hedonistic means primarily motivated by the pursuit of pleasure.

Though a rough approximation of the phrase might also be "self-indulgent pleasures".
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,631

The question is can two men over the age of 75 maintain an election for the next 18 months or so.

Only if they avoid doing it in pubic.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

As a man of advanced years, I have to say there are few greater pleasures than sitting in a rooftop bar in Bangkok, under the tropic stars, sipping a splendid Tanqueray 10 and tonic, and reading about the SNP fucking up YET AGAIN

On this occasion I think Leon has it right! I only wish I could get to Bangkok again.

Thankfully, the truly hideous heat has abated, somewhat, and it is all much more tolerable. The evenings are soft and sweet, again, rather than baking and humid. The pollution has cleared as well

And Bangkok has the amazing energy, still, if not even more than before. I was just in the Food Court at the basement of Siam Paragon - about 90 hectares of thousands of people eating every cuisine in the world, and doing it noisily, happily, enjoyably (because the food is GOOD). Across the city the bars are full, the whisky pop ups are back, the cocktail VW combis with dancing tattooed ladyboys are back, the squid sellers in their carts trundle the streets, behind the blind accordion players and the hi society Chinese women in their limos, it’s as sensational as city as it ever was, and yet more skyscrapers rise even as I speak

There is no sense the Great Asian Boom is over, quite the opposite. Asia is still overtaking the west. No western city, not NYC, London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, LA (lol), anywhere, has the sheer vivacity and exuberance of Bangkok
    Nor, thank God, the pollution, humidity, mosquitoes, sprawl and general squalor.

Bangkok is the worst part of Thailand - best to head to the hills, beaches or islands asap.

Absolute bollocks

If you love the hedonistic pleasures of great cities - food, wine, fun, sex, bars, weird people, orgies, meeting Nick Palmer in a sauna, spectacular strangeness - Bangkok is fabulous. Anyone who says otherwise is a twat, or just a slower lower-watt type who likes sitting on a mountain

Fair enough. Mountains can be fun. But so can cities. And Bangkok is brilliant for fun

Janan Ganesh captured it well in the FT last summer, and it has only got livelier since then

You've started quoting Remoaners. The end is nigh.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

DYOR

“I think the press is underestimating the damage RFK Jr. could do to Biden. He’s polling at 14%. If he keeps this up, it’ll matter. No president in the past half-century has won reelection after surviving a primary challenger who got into the double digits.”

https://twitter.com/charlescwcooke/status/1650865908301135873?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

Kennedy's an idiot or a conman, or probably both. Yuk.

But there's a maximum of 4 sitting presidents who didn't get re-elected in the past half-century so we're looking at a fairly small sample size being extrapolated from.
    TBH I don’t even know who RFK is. Is he the anti vaxxer?

I just noticed that tidbit on Twitter and thought it might be of interest to the more committed PB bettors
    Titbit, not tidbit. Bettor is American too, come to think of it. You are filtering posts through ChatGPT AICMFP.
    Bettor is better than better because it distinguishes a bettor from better
    The problem is not how we distinguish a bettor from a better, it's how we distinguish a better from a better. If we can't do that, then when we compare a bettor to a better we don't know if we're comparing it to a better or to a better. We should use different terms. That would be much...more preferable.

:smiley:
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    Well I have just completed my postal votes for next week's elections.

It will surprise some on here to note that I voted for no fewer than 3 Liberal Democrat candidates, along with one Labour obvs.

Why? Because I moved to a council area which is a LibDem-Cons marginal and I will do ANYTHING to vote the bastard tories out of office.

I am not untypical of the electoral tsunami that is coming the tory way.

@MikeSmithson please note!
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 680

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I really do. I have basically and voluntarily locked myself in this hotel for two-three weeks, to finish a long term project. My food is delivered, my laundry is delivered, my female company is delivered, my only modest solace is this rooftop bar and the Tanqueray. Then back to work

But soon I shall be free…..

Free

FREE I TELL YOU. FREEEEEEEEE
    "my female company is delivered."

That sounds... icky.
    A chinese takeaway....
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

DYOR

“I think the press is underestimating the damage RFK Jr. could do to Biden. He’s polling at 14%. If he keeps this up, it’ll matter. No president in the past half-century has won reelection after surviving a primary challenger who got into the double digits.”

https://twitter.com/charlescwcooke/status/1650865908301135873?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

But there's a maximum of 4 sitting presidents who didn't get re-elected in the past half-century so we're looking at a fairly small sample size being extrapolated from.

I just noticed that tidbit on Twitter and thought it might be of interest to the more committed PB bettors
    Titbit, not tidbit. Bettor is American too, come to think of it. You are filtering posts through ChatGPT AICMFP.
    The problem is not how we distinguish a bettor from a better, it's how we distinguish a better from a better. If we can't do that, then when we compare a bettor to a better we don't know if we're comparing it to a better or to a better. We should use different terms. That would be much...more preferable.

Also a better bettor, or a better better ?
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

DYOR

We should also, always, respect our elders and betters (or is it bettors?) :wink:
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,157
    Dura_Ace said:

I just got an impressively mental PMC Wagner recruitment advert on Telegram. It promises that recruits will be delivered from bankruptcy, all bad habits and, I'm not making this up, "сварливая теща". Lit. "grumpy mother in law".

I guess you got it because one of the Kremlin's bots is programmed to identify shitheads and numbskulls who refer to Putin's murderous war as an "SMO"
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    Heathener said:

I am not untypical

Sources disagree.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,631
    Penddu2 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I really do. I have basically and voluntarily locked myself in this hotel for two-three weeks, to finish a long term project. My food is delivered, my laundry is delivered, my female company is delivered, my only modest solace is this rooftop bar and the Tanqueray. Then back to work

But soon I shall be free…..

Free

FREE I TELL YOU. FREEEEEEEEE
    "my female company is delivered."

That sounds... icky.
    A chinese takeaway....
    A drunken cat.

They misunderstood his request...
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572
    Ghedebrav said:

IanB2 said:

Gorgeous - where are you?
    In the mountains east of Lake Como, towards the top end.
    Selebian said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

DYOR

We should also, always, respect our elders and betters (or is it bettors?) :wink:
    Should one abet a better bettor betting though ?
    edited April 2023
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

DYOR

Also a better bettor, or a better better ?
    I refer you to m'learned colleague, Beter Biper, who will deal with the matter after his present assignment involving bicking a beck of bickled bepper.
    ydoethur said:

The question is can two men over the age of 75 maintain an election for the next 18 months or so.

Only if they avoid doing it in pubic.
    Biden largely intends to.
    The "Rose Garden strategy".
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    Heathener said:

It will surprise some on here to note that I voted for no fewer than 3 Liberal Democrat candidates, along with one Labour obvs.

Why? Because I moved to a council area which is a LibDem-Cons marginal and I will do ANYTHING to vote the bastard tories out of office.

I tend to agree that, even though 2019 was a bad year for the Conservatives, this year will be worse.

I think they will lose around 700 councillors, with Labour adding 600, and the libdems grabbing around 100.

Selebian said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

DYOR

Indeed. One should not be bitter :)
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    kjh said:

kjh said:

eek said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

What tax breaks. Do enlighten me please.

No national insurance?
    That's NI the poster referred to tax breaks.
    It’s a tax break because they don’t pay it.
    Ni is not tax I mean TAX breaks
    In what way is National insurance not a tax - most tax avoidance schemes focus more on avoiding NI than avoiding income tax.
    The clue is in the title.
    The clue is in what it is and not its title. In what way is it not a tax? Not having the word tax in the name is the least impressive way of deciding it's not a tax. If government thought the population were that gullible they would be renaming lots of taxes and not include the word tax.

What do you think the treasury does with the money?
    It is effectively a group insurance policy that pays out when someone is sick or on maternity leave and covers as payment towards state pension.
    No it isn't. Honestly @squareroot2 I had you down as someone who was cynical. I'm glad to see there is a more trusting side to you, but you shouldn't believe that sort of propaganda. None of NI is ring fenced for those things. It all goes into a great big bucket of money that is spent on anything.

That is it is a tax just like Income tax, or Vat or IHT or CGT, etc, etc. The government doesn't even pretend it is ring fenced.
    NI is recognised in international taxation treaties as a tax. By the Inland Revenue/HMG and foreign governments.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

I tend to agree that, even though 2019 was a bad year for the Conservatives, this year will be worse.

I think they will lose around 700 councillors, with Labour adding 600, and the libdems grabbing around 100.

Tories won’t be upset with 700, considering the backdrop of historic financial pain they have weathered and closed the polling gap. Especially if Labour underperform the polling by 5 points to only get 40%.

Stodge’s post yesterday predicting Labour to fail to win places like Walsall and Dudley, because 13 from 13 etc is too steep an ask, will give Tories much to crow about too.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    Fishing said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Agreed. I was there in March for a few days visiting a friend on my way further out in Asia.

Bangkok has lost a lot of its charm and (it may surprise @Leon to know) much of its pizzazz. My friend insisted on taking me to some of his favourite spots and I'm afraid that the old go-to areas that the likes of Leon enjoyed back in the day are now faded and jaded. A couple of them are very sorry affairs compared to what they once were.

I hope I never return to the city. There are parts of Thailand which remain charming and lovely, as you rightly point out.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

A little reminder: ispace's lunar lander stream starts in ten minutes or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpR1UUnix3g

Well at least it should have done! Hopefully not a foretaste of a mission failure.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Interesting but unpersuasive.

There are really 2 points. The first is that even if they lose they may restrict the scope for any future s35 order by having contingencies built into it. This is tactically wrong. If they lose there is every chance that the comments of the court will be wide and permissive making future orders easier, not more difficult. Generally speaking, if cases are going to set the criteria for other cases you want them to be cases that you win and that the other side is going to have to distinguish rather than rely upon.

The second is that the UK government behaved irrationally or unreasonably by failing to engage with the Scottish government during the legislative process. Engagement, however, is a two way street. Is there any evidence that (unlike the bottle fiasco) the Scottish government ever asked for such engagement? I suspect not, otherwise there would be more about it in the petition. What the SG are seeking to argue is that the onus is on Westminster to initiate and continue that dialogue, even when not asked to do so. It's possible the court may come to such a conclusion but it is equally possible that they will not. There is also no evidence that I am aware of of the SG engaging with the Equalities Commission, for example, who are the designated body for overseeing the principles of the EA.

The argument that the law remains the same in that it is guided by the principles in the original Act, s9, that the certificate is good for all purposes, when all the safeguards for obtaining the certificate are being removed strikes me as bordering on unstateable.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Labour will gain seats from the Conservatives certainly. The LDs? Less certain.

Remember in May 2019 the Tories were already at a low ebb on 28% and the LDs peaking at 19% NEV.

Indeed even on current polls the Tories could regain a few seats lost to the LDs in the 2019 locals
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    edited April 2023
    Heathener said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Agreed. I was there in March for a few days visiting a friend on my way further out in Asia.

Bangkok has lost a lot of its charm and (it may surprise @Leon to know) much of its pizzazz. My friend insisted on taking me to some of his favourite spots and I'm afraid that the old go-to areas that the likes of Leon enjoyed back in the day are now faded and jaded. A couple of them are very sorry affairs compared to what they once were.

I hope I never return to the city. There are parts of Thailand which remain charming and lovely, as you rightly point out.
    Ahahahahaha

Can you name these go-to areas which I once enjoyed? Seeing as you know Bangkok better than me? Even though I have been coming here for 30 years, and spent 3 months here earlier in 2023?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Are they still wearing facemasks?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Do they still have the bar with the glass ceiling, where young women without knickers dance for the amusement of Japanese businessmen?
    Leon said:

Why is Phil Mitchell actually working for the SNP?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    DavidL said:

There are really 2 points. The first is that even if they lose they may restrict the scope for any future s35 order by having contingencies built into it. This is tactically wrong. If they lose there is every chance that the comments of the court will be wide and permissive making future orders easier, not more difficult. Generally speaking, if cases are going to set the criteria for other cases you want them to be cases that you win and that the other side is going to have to distinguish rather than rely upon.

The second is that the UK government behaved irrationally or unreasonably by failing to engage with the Scottish government during the legislative process. Engagement, however, is a two way street. Is there any evidence that (unlike the bottle fiasco) the Scottish government ever asked for such engagement? I suspect not, otherwise there would be more about it in the petition. What the SG are seeking to argue is that the onus is on Westminster to initiate and continue that dialogue, even when not asked to do so. It's possible the court may come to such a conclusion but it is equally possible that they will not. There is also no evidence that I am aware of of the SG engaging with the Equalities Commission, for example, who are the designated body for overseeing the principles of the EA.

The argument that the law remains the same in that it is guided by the principles in the original Act, s9, that the certificate is good for all purposes, when all the safeguards for obtaining the certificate are being removed strikes me as bordering on unstateable.
    It seems an uphill battle to win this, but I guess Yousaf wants to show the Greens that he tried.
    Not a happy message, but not entirely wrong, either.

Britons ‘need to accept’ they’re poorer, says Bank of England economist
    Chief economist Huw Pill says workers and firms should stop trying to pass on rising costs by hiking prices or demanding better wages
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/apr/25/britons-need-to-accept-theyre-poorer-says-bank-of-england-economist
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Do they still have the bar with the glass ceiling, where young women without knickers dance for the amusement of Japanese businessmen?
    They do
    HYUFD said:

So Biden announces he will run for re election in 2024. Probably best as he is the only Democrat who has proved he can beat Trump.

Main question now whether he keeps Harris as his VP nominee

Switch Kamala to Secretary of State - a promotion to a proper job - and slip Buttigieg in as Vice.

Succession planning.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605

Leon said:

Why is Phil Mitchell actually working for the SNP?
    It's MI5 infiltration hiding in plain sight.
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,067
    edited April 2023

Sandpit said:

So Biden is currently aged 80. If he wins the race to be re-elected, he will stand down on Jan 20th, 2029, aged 86. Can’t help thinking it’s the wrong call, but there does appear to be something of a dearth of talent at the top of his party. And the other party.

I'm not actually sure there really is a dearth of talent in either party - there are several credible Senators, Governors, and cabinet members who might not all survive the hard kicking of the tyres provided by a primary process, but on paper are the equivalent of major party nominees of the past.

Ultimately, Biden promised to be a "bridge to the future" but is enjoying it too much and has become a bed-blocker. I don't mind him, but that's the reality.
    I think he's doing quite well, and is evidence for the case that a veteran Senator is a good choice for President as he knows how to work the system. He stumbles and misspeaks occasionally, but if that's the worst he can do, we can live with that.

Sure, one can make observations about what people in their 80s are on average like. But like all average they can obscure rather than illuminate. He's a moderate chap who is a good operator. They could do much worse, and may yet do so.
    That's very much a "hold on to nurse, for fear of something worse" argument.

That is indeed the Biden pitch - he's the most known of known quantities, and will surely be competitive against any Republican candidate, and particularly THAT Republican candidate, as he was in 2020.

We are almost certainly not about to discover a new side of Biden, in the 50th anniversary year of him first coming to national prominence as a Senator. He is their Charles III. Whether you like him or dislike him, there really isn't anything new to learn. He is part of the furniture, and all the positives and negatives have been raked over forever.

But isn't that just dreadfully grim even if you and I think Biden is probably a decent enough man and a moderately okay President? My view is the US badly needs the injection of energy and ideas that comes from a fresh generation. Where does America want to be in 20 or 50 years? It's all hopelessly stale, and refreshing the body politic is being delayed by a lengthy, slow motion battle between dinosaurs.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

It seems an uphill battle to win this, but I guess Yousaf wants to show the Greens that he tried.
    Yes, it is all about maintaining the Green Coalition at Holyrood, to the considerable frustration of many in the SNP. Opposition to that coalition brought Kate Forbes within 2% of victory.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,088
    edited April 2023
    Sandpit said:

Well at least it should have done! Hopefully not a foretaste of a mission failure.
    Edit: ok it's on.

HYUFD said:

So Biden announces he will run for re election in 2024. Probably best as he is the only Democrat who has proved he can beat Trump.

Switch Kamala to Secretary of State - a promotion to a proper job - and slip Buttigieg in as Vice.

Succession planning.
    Put her on the Court. She (and her supporters) would see that as somewhere between an equal job and a promotion.
    Dura_Ace said:

I just got an impressively mental PMC Wagner recruitment advert on Telegram. It promises that recruits will be delivered from bankruptcy, all bad habits and, I'm not making this up, "сварливая теща". Lit. "grumpy mother in law".

Given the reported life expectancy of their recruits, isn’t this just “truth in advertising” ?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    @genspect
    Trans-identified teen died from vaginoplasty complications during landmark Dutch study used to justify “gender-affirming care”.

https://twitter.com/genspect/status/1650655326583107585
    viewcode said:

Selebian said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

DYOR

Indeed. One should not be bitter :)
    Better a better better than a bitter better?
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Are they still wearing facemasks?
    Yes, but much less than they were in January. They are slowly disappearing. Thank god!

HYUFD said:

Succession planning.
    Put her on the Court. She (and her supporters) would see that as somewhere between an equal job and a promotion.
    Tennis or Squash?
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,088
    New thread.
    DougSeal said:
    Just 2% positive for Labour! What was Blair at this stage in 96?

SKS fans please explain 😈
    edited April 2023

Sandpit said:

Edit: ok it's on.
    I've only got a pre-recorded 'this is what we plan to happen' bit at the moment, although it says 'live'

ETA: And I guess I should head over to the new thread...
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

DougSeal said:
    Just 2% positive for Labour! What was Blair at this stage in 96?

SKS fans please explain 😈
    It's a view I suppose...
    edited April 2023
    Oops, old thread
  • NEW THREAD

• kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    Dura_Ace said:

No thanks Wagner, I like my bad habits.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572
    Nigelb said:

Not a happy message, but not entirely wrong, either.

Britons ‘need to accept’ they’re poorer, says Bank of England economist
    Chief economist Huw Pill says workers and firms should stop trying to pass on rising costs by hiking prices or demanding better wages
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/apr/25/britons-need-to-accept-theyre-poorer-says-bank-of-england-economist

Perhaps our politicians could show a lead?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

What is dismaying about Trump is how energetic he is. Not much sign of him slowing down. And little evidence of physical frailty. He seems energised by crowds and campaigning. So I dont think being a candidate will be a problem for him. Unfortunately.
    I'm convinced he will outlive us all.
This discussion has been closed.