Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Without the NHS improving Sunak’s government looks doomed – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited April 2023 in General
imageWithout the NHS improving Sunak’s government looks doomed – politicalbetting.com

Yesterday I took a very big decision and booked an appointment with a private surgeon for my spine. This is going to cost me but I had a procedure on the NHS two months ago which does not seem to have done the trick and now and now I can barely walk.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    edited April 2023
    It's always claimed the NHS is in crisis, and that has blunted the effectiveness of the claims in recent times.

Plenty more people will believe it now, because the number of stories like OGH's is through the roof.

Probably a leaky roof too because we also cannot build anything anymore.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    Sad to here about your situation, and hoping it not too painful. (Though guessing it probably is.)

Perhaps only silver-ish lining, is that you and Old King Cole can form a club.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    Best wishes Mike.

My only spinal injury was a bruised tailbone ten years ago, and frankly that was bad enough, as minor as it was.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,085
    Ex-Boris Johnson adviser becomes Tory frontrunner for London mayor
    Samuel Kasumu backed by series of senior Conservatives as he vows to take on Sadiq Khan and his Ulez expansion

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/04/24/boris-johnson-adviser-samuel-kasumu-london-mayor/ (£££)

Kasumu is said to have been backed by Priti Patel, Grant Shapps and Steve Baker. This reads like a puff piece and if Kasumu is frontrunner, he might be the only runner. He is not quoted in the betting.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    edited April 2023

This poll is obviously rogue!

Why? Because THE hot button issue for hordes of perturbed PBers, namely the Trans Threat and related War on Woke, are . . . wait for it . . . NOWHERE in the alleged responses.

HOW CAN THIS BE?!?!?!

All over the front of Tomorrows Daily Express. Not the economy or NHS, but Sunak going big on a reassuring message to the Nation - championing efforts to safeguard a century of protections which have come under threat.

“I know what a woman is, and I will protect Woman’s rights and woman’s spaces.”

Clear subtext to this - if you vote Starmer you will get a penis where you don’t want it, and where it has no right to be. Just look at how many women the polling telling us are currently undecided who to vote for. And why is that do you think?

Wait. Is the NHS backlog only 7M now, wasn’t it 12M not so long ago under Boris? The Tories have done amazing job just about halving it so quickly. 🫡 salute that.

PS the health Secretary will beat the nurses in court and get the May 2nd strike called illegal - he’s got the facts on his side and the nurses leadership over a barrel.

Why? Because THE hot button issue for hordes of perturbed PBers, namely the Trans Threat and related War on Woke, are . . . wait for it . . . NOWHERE in the alleged responses.

HOW CAN THIS BE?!?!?!

All over the front of Tomorrows Daily Express. Not the economy or NHS, but Sunak going big on a reassuring message to the Nation - championing efforts to safeguard a century of protections which have come under threat.

“I know what a woman is, and I will protect Woman’s rights and woman’s spaces.”

Clear subtext to this - if you vote Starmer you will get a penis where you don’t want it, and where it has no right to be. Just look at how many women the polling telling us are currently undecided who to vote for. And why is that do you think?

Wait. Is the NHS backlog only 7M now, wasn’t it 12M not so long ago under Boris? The Tories have done amazing job just about halving it so quickly. 🫡 salute that.

PS the health Secretary will beat the nurses in court and get the May 2nd strike called illegal - he’s got the facts on his side and the nurses leadership over a barrel.
    So what. Crap-o-gram and suchlike can bark at the moon all they please, won't signify IF actual voters don't give a puppy turd about what they're howling about.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    May the surgery you have chosen fix your problem soon, completely, and permanently.

Samuel Kasumu backed by series of senior Conservatives as he vows to take on Sadiq Khan and his Ulez expansion

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/04/24/boris-johnson-adviser-samuel-kasumu-london-mayor/ (£££)

Kasumu is said to have been backed by Priti Patel, Grant Shapps and Steve Baker. This reads like a puff piece and if Kasumu is frontrunner, he might be the only runner. He is not quoted in the betting.

IF the advice tendered was any good, then Boris sure as heck didn't take it. AND if the advice was bad, then . . .

Personally would prefer Michael Frabricant's hair-dresser (or wig-monger) to a BJ advisor ANY day.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    edited April 2023
    Thanks to TSE on the previous thread for pointing out the (maybe) unexpected results of this YouGov survey on cash.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/economy/survey-results/daily/2023/03/28/37b24/1
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057
    Spine things are always tricky, Mike, as you have found out. I hope this op does the trick. Good luck.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

HOW CAN THIS BE?!?!?!

No, the number on waiting lists at 7 million is an all time high. It actually went down briefly at the start of the pandemic due to difficulties in getting a referral.

It was about 2.5 million in 2010 and 3.25 million at the end of the Coalition, and 4.5 million when Johnson took office, before covid hit. Covid obviously made it worse, but it was substantially up even before then.

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-support/nhs-delivery-and-workforce/pressures/nhs-backlog-data-analysis

If the strike is made illegal on 2 May, so has to finish on May 1, do you think the problem of industrial relations in the NHS just goes away?

Sorry to hear about your spinal troubles Mike.
  • IanB2 said:

His three core character traits were evident by the time he left university:

● A skill exceptionally rare among political leaders to communicate with charisma and humour with the public far and wide, to read the mood and currents of politics, and to raise people’s sights about what could be achieved.

● An all-consuming self-centredness that impelled him to be the most important and visible person on every occasion, with the minimum effort required, and to be impatient of any person, precedent or procedure getting in the way of that quest. “I want it all and I want it now” was an impulse he found difficult to overcome.

● A lack of moral seriousness not mitigated by his intellect and rhetorical skills. Causes, commitments, colleagues as well as pledges, policies and partners were regarded as transitory and transactional. Any could be picked up only to be jettisoned when they no longer served his interests or pleasure.

These added up to three flaws that, unaddressed, would prove fatal: an inability to value truth and to set or pronounce on moral boundaries; to recognise merit, appoint the best people and trust them to do their jobs; and to stick by any decision or person without changing his mind.

Good morning

Spot on
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    I am so sorry to hear about your health issues Mike and really hope this private pathway fixes the problem.

Well done for this thread which drives home a critical issue for many older folk. The NHS is in a dreadful state and it's no good the tories blaming others after 12 years in charge.

The grey vote is often assumed to be in their pocket because of the pension triple lock but it's no good having that security if one of your other most basic Maslow needs is so precarious.

The NHS really matters.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544
    Foxy said:

HOW CAN THIS BE?!?!?!

No, the number on waiting lists at 7 million is an all time high. It actually went down briefly at the start of the pandemic due to difficulties in getting a referral.

It was about 2.5 million in 2010 and 3.25 million at the end of the Coalition, and 4.5 million when Johnson took office, before covid hit. Covid obviously made it worse, but it was substantially up even before then.

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-support/nhs-delivery-and-workforce/pressures/nhs-backlog-data-analysis

If the strike is made illegal on 2 May, so has to finish on May 1, do you think the problem of industrial relations in the NHS just goes away?

Personally, I can't think of anything more likely to wind nurses up into voting for another round of strikes.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,727

Not being in London, I thought that the Ulez Expansion of Khan was a Star Trek episode I'd missed....
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,214

My gut instinct is that there is quite a bit of scope in opposing these kind of traffic controls in London. Large parts of it, the suburban area at least, are not that accessible other than by car. I am just not sure this is particularly appreciated by officials and politicians. As I recall it was not that long ago that the congestion charge expansion was rolled back (2008?)

Foxy said:

HOW CAN THIS BE?!?!?!

Personally, I can't think of anything more likely to wind nurses up into voting for another round of strikes.
    Withdrawing the existing offer might qualify.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Envy of the world, said no-one who’s ever lived in another developed country.

Healthcare failing is not just a British problem though, many other countries, across the whole spectrum of organisational systems, have issues with backlogs built up during the pandemic. Canada is a lot worse, as is the US.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/health-care-wait-times-by-country

Get well soon OGH.
    edited April 2023
    The Mail and the Express have been on their 'has it got a penis' crusade for some weeks, hoping it might raise up their flagging readership who are railing against the dying of the light. It's bone to a dog tactic.

A sensible debate on the topic would be good in a less febrile atmosphere, which may mean 'never' but which will probably come a few years into a Labour Gov't. Eventually the country will settle down to a reasonable position which protects vulnerable cis women and at the same recognises gender transition.

Meanwhile I suspect there will be one single day during the election campaign when a lot of people get in a lather, and then, after 36 hours, the debate will move on to topics which really matter to most people - as in the graph above. Why? Because by and large most people don't give a flying fuck about whether someone wants to call themselves a man, woman, kathoey, or anything else or whether they do or don't have penises, vaginas, clitorises, uteruses, breasts, prosthetic legs, glass eyes, or a bent septum.

Yes, there will still be transphobes just as there are still homophobes.

More interesting to me is the decline in circulation of the dead tree press. This table doesn't paste well but the first figure is 2023 then through to 2020 on the right.

Metro 953,475 1,027,989 597,979 1,426,535
    Daily Mail 797,704 909,201 960,019 1,169,241
    Evening Standard 314,285 446,257 489,405 798,168
    Daily Mirror 277,550 333,731 366,501 451,466
    Daily Express 176,264 221,214 238,230 296,079
    Daily Star 157,612 195,545 220,126 277,237
    i 134,277 142,598 141,115 217,182
    Financial Times 114,685 113,817 97,067 157,982
    City A.M. 67,090 76,465 N/A 85,521
    Daily Record 61,883 75,696 85,769 104,343

The Guardian N/A N/A 108,687 132,341
    The Sun N/A N/A N/A 1,250,634
    The Times N/A N/A N/A 368,929
    The Daily Telegraph N/A N/A N/A 360,345
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_circulation

Do these newspapers really have much influence anymore? Have we now left behind the days of 'IT'S THE SUN WOT WON IT'?

Clearly the Mail has a particularly powerful online presence but that seems to be mainly in their celeb gossip rather than mainstream news.
    edited April 2023
    Sandpit said:

Totally untrue.

But I wouldn't expect a rich expat living in Dubai to be on that wavelength. Or indeed the wavelength of many people in this country.
    Sandpit said:

Healthcare failing is not just a British problem though, many other countries, across the whole spectrum of organisational systems, have issues with backlogs built up during the pandemic. Canada is a lot worse, as is the US.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/health-care-wait-times-by-country

Get well soon OGH.

"Envy of the World" is a phrase that I have only ever heard from right-wingers disparaging the NHS.

When was the last time someone said it and meant it? My guess is 1948.
  • DialupDialup Posts: 561
    We’ve seen a narrowing in the polls but yet the opinions of the public on the economic and healthcare situations remain unchanged.

Optimism there is not any.
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Get well soon OGH.

"Envy of the World" is a phrase that I have only ever heard from right-wingers disparaging the NHS.

Here’s the Commonweath Fund having a go, as recently as 2020.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-rank-rating-world-top-first-b1897008.html
    edited April 2023
    Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Totally untrue.

But I wouldn't expect a rich expat living in Dubai to be on that wavelength. Or indeed the wavelength of many people in this country.
    Playing the man as usual. Nothing better to do before 7am?

Funnily enough, people with different experiences come to different conclusions. People who have experienced other healthcare systems, often prefer them.

Oh, and not particularly rich either. I live in a modest 2-bed apartment, and drive a 16-year-old car.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550
    Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Totally untrue.

This is the thing, we're not on the same wavelength.

People who have lived in other developed countries know that it doesn't have to be this bad. People who have only lived in Britain think that the alternative to the NHS is what they have in the US, which is terrible for equal and opposite reasons.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    That dim witted Chinese ambassador to France gets quite a slap down from Beijing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65373191.amp
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/24/labour-wes-streeting-nhs-britain-europe?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

I would recommend reading this by Marmot, which explains a lot of why the NHS performance has worsened over the last 13 years.

"Health spending per person, adjusted for demographic change, grew at 2% a year under the Conservatives from 1979 to 1997; at 5.7% a year under Labour from 1997 to 2010; at -0.07% from 2010 to 2015; and at -0.03% from 2015 to 2021. (snip) Other European countries have taken a different approach. If the UK had increased its healthcare expenditure from 2010 to 2019 as much as France did, we would have increased our current spend by 21%, and by 39% if we had matched Germany."

I am not saying that we either could or should have matched peer countries in their health spending, but not doing so does have consequences.
  • Sleazy and rule breaking Rishi thinks the rules don't apply him, just the sort of behaviour of somebody who held a green card whilst Chancellor and has a wife who has benefitted from non dom status.

Rishi Sunak may have wrongly disclosed details of active inquiry

Watchdog broadens investigation into PM’s failure to disclose wife’s shares

Parliament’s ethics watchdog has widened its investigation into whether Rishi Sunak broke rules on declaring a financial interest.

The prime minister is now also being investigated over whether he wrongly disclosed details of the active inquiry, which is looking into claims that he should have told MPs his wife might benefit from childcare subsidies announced in the budget.

Akshata Murty is a shareholder in Koru Kids, a childcare agency that is likely to benefit from more generous support for the sector. Sunak did not mention his wife’s shares when questioned about the policy by the Commons liaison committee last month.

Sunak later wrote to the committee to insist that the shareholding had been “rightly declared to the Cabinet Office” under rules which allow some of ministers’ declarations to stay private.

Daniel Greenberg, the parliamentary commissioner for standards, began an inquiry last week and it has now emerged that he has broadened the scope to include potential breaches of rules against disclosing details of active inquiries.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rishi-sunak-wife-parliamentary-standards-commissioner-fxx0vvp3h
  • I see Dom Raab has become CEO of Marie Curie.

Marie Curie, the charity for those with terminal illness, threatened to take a volunteer to court if he spoke to the press about its handling of bullying allegations.

Philip Stogdon, a charity shop volunteer for 12 years, was dismissed and told the charity could take “legal remedies”.

Senior executives at Marie Curie, which has an annual income of £165 million, instructed a City law firm to issue legal threats to Stogdon, 71, after he repeatedly complained that he had been unfairly sacked for complaining about the treatment of a colleague.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/marie-curie-charity-volunteer-bullying-complaint-2023-s0bdjmk5g
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    edited April 2023
    On topic, we need to pay doctors more.

The UK is permanently losing thousands of doctors overseas each year, analysis of official figures suggests.

More than half of doctors who have left the UK medical register told an official survey by the General Medical Council that they were both unlikely and unwilling to return.

Separate figures from the doctors’ regulator show that 4,843 individuals moved abroad to practise medicine last year.

Doctors have reported overseas recruiters from countries such as New Zealand, Canada and Australia capitalising on NHS industrial disputes to fill gaps in their own workforce.

While the UK medical workforce is growing, it is itself heavily reliant on overseas medical recruitment, with almost a third of UK doctors foreign-trained.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/half-of-doctors-tempted-overseas-unlikely-and-unwilling-to-return-8k79k3qm5
  • ydoethur said:

That dim witted Chinese ambassador to France gets quite a slap down from Beijing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65373191.amp

He's not dimwitted, the reality is the more time you spend in France the more you become a collaborator.
  • Legacy of the British Empire.

Indians made up the second largest cohort of migrants crossing the Channel in small boats in the first three months of the year, new figures have revealed.

In the period to the end of March, 675 Indian migrants arrived in small boats, or 18 per cent of the total 3,793 crossings in the first quarter of 2023.

Afghans were the most common migrants, with 909, accounting for 24 per cent of arrivals.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/half-of-doctors-tempted-overseas-unlikely-and-unwilling-to-return-8k79k3qm5
  • Sky showing we are using 51.5% gas and just 23.7% renewables just now, no doubt as I look from our balcony to the Gwynt y Mor offshore wind farm they are barely turning and I assume other wind farms across the UK are the same
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,318

Sky showing we are using 51.5% gas and just 23.7% renewables just now, no doubt as I look from our balcony to the Gwynt y Mor offshore wind farm they are barely turning and I assume other wind farms across the UK are the same

My car needed defrosting this morning and it’s nearly May!
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    Foxy said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/24/labour-wes-streeting-nhs-britain-europe?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

I would recommend reading this by Marmot, which explains a lot of why the NHS performance has worsened over the last 13 years.

"Health spending per person, adjusted for demographic change, grew at 2% a year under the Conservatives from 1979 to 1997; at 5.7% a year under Labour from 1997 to 2010; at -0.07% from 2010 to 2015; and at -0.03% from 2015 to 2021. (snip) Other European countries have taken a different approach. If the UK had increased its healthcare expenditure from 2010 to 2019 as much as France did, we would have increased our current spend by 21%, and by 39% if we had matched Germany."

I am not saying that we either could or should have matched peer countries in their health spending, but not doing so does have consequences.

Overall, though, health spending in this country does not appear to be out of line with the rich world average:

https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/sites/e26f669c-en/index.html?itemId=/content/component/e26f669c-en#:~:text=Based on the initial data,of GDP allocated to health.

Is it that we face much worse than average demographic issues?
  • To think some people wanted tax cuts a few weeks ago due to the 'better' PSBR figures.

The chancellor has blamed the "eye-watering sums" spent on helping people through the coronavirus pandemic and energy crisis for an increase in public sector borrowing.

Public sector net borrowing was £21.5bn last month - the second-highest March borrowing since monthly records began in 1993.

The Office for National Statistics said that the government received 2% more in taxes and other income last month than in March last year.

But over the same period, spending increased by 16.8% to £104bn, in part due to the cost of the energy support schemes for households and businesses.

https://news.sky.com/story/energy-bills-support-drives-uk-public-borrowing-to-second-highest-march-level-12865779
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Sky showing we are using 51.5% gas and just 23.7% renewables just now, no doubt as I look from our balcony to the Gwynt y Mor offshore wind farm they are barely turning and I assume other wind farms across the UK are the same

Frosts in the North East can happen well into May.

Always plant my humble tomatoes and bedding plants out on the last bank holiday in May.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    The private healthcare providers must be booming. Half of the households in my small street have someone who has had an operation there in the last few months, including me. And they/we are all "self payers" (i.e. not covered by insurance)
    edited April 2023
    DavidL said:

7m of a waiting list. That is more than 10% of the population, for goodness sake. More than 10% of us are waiting for what? Some sort of hospital procedure?

When are you "waiting"? When you have an appointment in 4 weeks? Is that "waiting"? My son has an appointment in 10 weeks to see a consultant. It is fixed for then because he will be back from University again. Is he one of the 7m?

I find this figure almost impossible to believe. I would love to know more about how it is calculated.

That all said, it is clear that the NHS is not delivering as it should for the money spent on it. Healthcare is being privatised by the back door because so many people take the same decision as Mike has done: they are not prepared to wait in pain and have lost confidence in the service provided. When I was young only the really rich went private. Now it seems to be a slightly predictable expense of later middle age.

The figures are calculated by a set formula known as RTT (Referal to Treatment). So everyone referred by GP or other services gets logged, and the period ends when the appointment ticks the box that treatment commenced. So yes, your son is on the waiting list (though not one of the 7 million as that is the England figure, as each of the 4 nations has its own figures with Health being devolved).

There is scope to game the figures, for example ticking the box as treatment commenced when starting physio, rather than joint surgery. There is too the problem of crystallisation in that a patient waiting a year for an appointment and then the decision to operate immediately becomes a 1 year breech of the RTT target.

The RTT time only applies to new appointments and treatments too, which is why they get priority over follow ups and further treatments. Figures on follow up backlogs are even more nebulous, but probably equal those waiting for new appointments.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

The UK is permanently losing thousands of doctors overseas each year, analysis of official figures suggests.

More than half of doctors who have left the UK medical register told an official survey by the General Medical Council that they were both unlikely and unwilling to return.

Separate figures from the doctors’ regulator show that 4,843 individuals moved abroad to practise medicine last year.

Doctors have reported overseas recruiters from countries such as New Zealand, Canada and Australia capitalising on NHS industrial disputes to fill gaps in their own workforce.

While the UK medical workforce is growing, it is itself heavily reliant on overseas medical recruitment, with almost a third of UK doctors foreign-trained.

We need to certainly tackle the lack of disposable income for the Doctors on the lower end of the pay scales. Especially those saddled with tuition fee debt, predominantly the younger Doctors.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    Smart move by Labour. Those Tory Turds are going to become a very big issue. It’s bizarre that Sunak is not making this one of his big priorities.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/24/labour-to-use-tactic-that-finished-off-truss-to-force-tories-into-sewage-vote
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327

To think some people wanted tax cuts a few weeks ago due to the 'better' PSBR figures.

The chancellor has blamed the "eye-watering sums" spent on helping people through the coronavirus pandemic and energy crisis for an increase in public sector borrowing.

Public sector net borrowing was £21.5bn last month - the second-highest March borrowing since monthly records began in 1993.

The Office for National Statistics said that the government received 2% more in taxes and other income last month than in March last year.

But over the same period, spending increased by 16.8% to £104bn, in part due to the cost of the energy support schemes for households and businesses.

https://news.sky.com/story/energy-bills-support-drives-uk-public-borrowing-to-second-highest-march-level-12865779

The idea that we could afford tax cuts or even avoid the consequences of fiscal drift was always illusionary. The underlying finances of the government are extremely weak. We have staggered from extraordinary spending on Covid to energy bills and the government is under huge pressure to address the cost of living crisis as well as waves of strike action in the public sector. Truss and Kwarteng were right that we need much more growth to square these circles but it is hard to see where that growth comes from. and their own disasters showed how little room there is left for manoeuvre.

Smart move by Labour. Those Tory Turds are going to become a very big issue. It’s bizarre that Sunak is not making this one of his big priorities.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/24/labour-to-use-tactic-that-finished-off-truss-to-force-tories-into-sewage-vote

'The Tories are full of shit!'

Well, you have to say it has a mileage as a slogan...
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272

Baltic yesterday. Wind died this morning. Lovely and clear. A gorgeous Winter day. Not bad for last week of April.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    geoffw said:

The private healthcare providers must be booming. Half of the households in my small street have someone who has had an operation there in the last few months, including me. And they/we are all "self payers" (i.e. not covered by insurance)

Raising the question. What are the ones who can't pay doing?
    Well. They are on the sick during a labour shortage. Or simply suffering.
    dixiedean said:

Baltic yesterday. Wind died this morning. Lovely and clear. A gorgeous Winter day. Not bad for last week of April.
    This winter hasn't been especially cold. But it is showing an annoying tendency to linger long past the time it's outstayed its welcome.

Normally I would have the heating off by now.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860
    ydoethur said:

Unfortunately thus far they seem to be unflushable.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    Ghedebrav said:

ydoethur said:

The first two attempts, 2017 and 2019, haven't worked, certainly.

Turd time lucky?
    HYUFD said:
    Well, he's not very large...
    Taz said:

We need to certainly tackle the lack of disposable income for the Doctors on the lower end of the pay scales. Especially those saddled with tuition fee debt, predominantly the younger Doctors.
    If the government wrote off all debt for junior doctors who worked exclusively for the NHS past the age of 27, it would surely help considerably.

And since a very high proportion will never pay back their debts anyway, through emigrating, it wouldn't even cost that much.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Overall, though, health spending in this country does not appear to be out of line with the rich world average:

https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/sites/e26f669c-en/index.html?itemId=/content/component/e26f669c-en#:~:text=Based on the initial data,of GDP allocated to health.

A lot of the PFI contracts from the Brown era are coming due with the capital required to be repaid.

In their great wisdom the Treasury has determined that this should come out of *current* expenditure (because of the limits on capex).

We are basically paying for the Blair government’s expansion of healthcare today

• DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,085
    edited April 2023
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Not out of line but (from the graph in your link) still spending a lower proportion of GDP on health than, among others, Holland, Sweden, France and Germany. Those who tell us these countries have better systems than the NHS might be right but rarely advocate increased spending.
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

7m of a waiting list. That is more than 10% of the population, for goodness sake. More than 10% of us are waiting for what? Some sort of hospital procedure?

When are you "waiting"? When you have an appointment in 4 weeks? Is that "waiting"? My son has an appointment in 10 weeks to see a consultant. It is fixed for then because he will be back from University again. Is he one of the 7m?

I find this figure almost impossible to believe. I would love to know more about how it is calculated.

That all said, it is clear that the NHS is not delivering as it should for the money spent on it. Healthcare is being privatised by the back door because so many people take the same decision as Mike has done: they are not prepared to wait in pain and have lost confidence in the service provided. When I was young only the really rich went private. Now it seems to be a slightly predictable expense of later middle age.

The figures are calculated by a set formula known as RTT (Referal to Treatment). So everyone referred by GP or other services gets logged, and the period ends when the appointment ticks the box that treatment commenced. So yes, your son is on the waiting list (though not one of the 7 million as that is the England figure, as each of the 4 nations has its own figures with Health being devolved).

There is scope to game the figures, for example ticking the box as treatment commenced when starting physio, rather than joint surgery. There is too the problem of crystallisation in that a patient waiting a year for an appointment and then the decision to operate immediately becomes a 1 year breech of the RTT target.

The RTT time only applies to new appointments and treatments too, which is why they get priority over follow ups and further treatments. Figures on follow up backlogs are even more nebulous, but probably equal those waiting for new appointments.
    Referred to who though?

Would a telemedicine screen followed by a request to pop into the GP surgery trigger it?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Foxy said:

I agree with this. Partly we are doing and are able to do more for patients, partly the ranks of the elderly and sick are growing, and yes we have failed to keep spending an increasing amount to cope with that.
    I blame governments for not taking hard choices. Labour spent oodles of future health money with PPI - cunningly keeping it off the current spend. We are still paying now.
    The Tories, rightly or wrongly decided that austerity-lite* was needed in 2010. This is not the time or place to say who was right or wrong, but the consequences are now becoming clear in the waiting lists.
    But.
    If we had increased spend by equivalent to say France or Germany, what would the bill have been? And almost every voter who says when polled ‘I’d pay more tax for the NHS’ then forgets that in the privacy of the polling booth.

We need to grow up as a nation and realise that you get what you pay for.
    I’d turn NI into part of income tax, and replace it with mandatory health insurance, with support for the low paid, those unable to work. The NHS would still be free at the point of use, but the insurance money would get spent. If you went over drawn, not matter, your account just goes into the red. No change on what you pay, but you get to see where you stand with the cost of the care you have had.
    Me, I’d be heavily into the red, and I’m grateful.
    dixiedean said:

On the other hand, perfect weather for dinghy crossings.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

I see Dom Raab has become CEO of Marie Curie.

Marie Curie, the charity for those with terminal illness, threatened to take a volunteer to court if he spoke to the press about its handling of bullying allegations.

Philip Stogdon, a charity shop volunteer for 12 years, was dismissed and told the charity could take “legal remedies”.

Senior executives at Marie Curie, which has an annual income of £165 million, instructed a City law firm to issue legal threats to Stogdon, 71, after he repeatedly complained that he had been unfairly sacked for complaining about the treatment of a colleague.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/marie-curie-charity-volunteer-bullying-complaint-2023-s0bdjmk5g

People who work for charities and have their halo are just the same as us all. My wife experienced one bully at a charity she worked for. Nasty piece of work.
    Frankly I find a lot of higher paid charity work to be galling, as all those donations contribute to the salary. The best charities have few overheads.

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Referred to who though?

Would a telemedicine screen followed by a request to pop into the GP surgery trigger it?
    No, as GP is not part of RTT (they have their own targets etc).

A telephone call with a Consultant would, if referred by a GP, though would depend on whether the "Treatment Commenced" box is ticked.
    DavidL said:

To think some people wanted tax cuts a few weeks ago due to the 'better' PSBR figures.

The idea that we could afford tax cuts or even avoid the consequences of fiscal drift was always illusionary. The underlying finances of the government are extremely weak. We have staggered from extraordinary spending on Covid to energy bills and the government is under huge pressure to address the cost of living crisis as well as waves of strike action in the public sector. Truss and Kwarteng were right that we need much more growth to square these circles but it is hard to see where that growth comes from. and their own disasters showed how little room there is left for manoeuvre.
    We spend too much on pensions. I’m generally pretty far to the left economically but I’m not stupid. I manage a household budget and a project budget at work. The sums have to add up, and we ought to be fair to everyone, not just our chosen party’s voters.

Everything else has been cut to the bone - through the bone - to protect the old folk subsidy at all costs. The triple lock has to go and the state pension age has to rise - while protecting the genuinely vulnerable. The false economies of the Osborne era are coming home to roost; schools and a&e departments are becoming carers of first resort.

For all of the low quality of Bozzer, the Trussterfuck et al, the real villains of our time are Cameron and Osborne.

Foxy said:

I agree with this. Partly we are doing and are able to do more for patients, partly the ranks of the elderly and sick are growing, and yes we have failed to keep spending an increasing amount to cope with that.
    I blame governments for not taking hard choices. Labour spent oodles of future health money with PPI - cunningly keeping it off the current spend. We are still paying now.
    The Tories, rightly or wrongly decided that austerity-lite* was needed in 2010. This is not the time or place to say who was right or wrong, but the consequences are now becoming clear in the waiting lists.
    But.
    If we had increased spend by equivalent to say France or Germany, what would the bill have been? And almost every voter who says when polled ‘I’d pay more tax for the NHS’ then forgets that in the privacy of the polling booth.

We need to grow up as a nation and realise that you get what you pay for.
    I’d turn NI into part of income tax, and replace it with mandatory health insurance, with support for the low paid, those unable to work. The NHS would still be free at the point of use, but the insurance money would get spent. If you went over drawn, not matter, your account just goes into the red. No change on what you pay, but you get to see where you stand with the cost of the care you have had.
    Me, I’d be heavily into the red, and I’m grateful.
    If “the insurance money would get spent” why is that an attractive business proposition for an insurer?

Fundamentally health insurance is insurance against a catastrophic risk. The insurance company charges 12 people £100 and then pays £1000 in medical expenses for 1 person. If they are right they make a nice profit and the risk has been pooled. If they are wrong then they lose money and the risk has been pooled.

Unless insurance results in lower costs in the healthcare system (which is possible) then it means the amount that people will pay goes up.

• FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    DavidL said:

I am waiting for a procedure that is not imminently needed but prevents an A&E nasty, potentially fatal, condition later on. It's lower priority than treating acute conditions, so I'm on a waiting list just like OGH was. If the system had more capacity we wouldn't be.
    ydoethur said:

Ghedebrav said:

ydoethur said:

The first two attempts, 2017 and 2019, haven't worked, certainly.

Turd time lucky?
    Trust the cistern.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

Sunshine and blue sky here, beautiful morning.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Get well soon OGH.

There is the Boris version "world beating", of course.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    DavidL said:

We are where we are on public finances. Some very poor policy decisions by the incumbent government over the years have left public finances drained. We are left both with higher taxes and worse services.
    malcolmg said:

Sunshine and blue sky here, beautiful morning.
    Same in sunny Stockport. Glorious.

Unfortunately I’m off to gloomy old London for work shortly - BUT, I will be treating myself later to a screening of the restored 70mm print of 2001 at the Prince Charles cinema. I’ve never seen it at the pictures before.

Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

We spend too much on pensions. I’m generally pretty far to the left economically but I’m not stupid. I manage a household budget and a project budget at work. The sums have to add up, and we ought to be fair to everyone, not just our chosen party’s voters.

Everything else has been cut to the bone - through the bone - to protect the old folk subsidy at all costs. The triple lock has to go and the state pension age has to rise - while protecting the genuinely vulnerable. The false economies of the Osborne era are coming home to roost; schools and a&e departments are becoming carers of first resort.

For all of the low quality of Bozzer, the Trussterfuck et al, the real villains of our time are Cameron and Osborne.
    Way earlier than that, I suspect.

We've had fifty years or so where the boomer generation has been in employment and supporting a relatively small pensioner cohort. There has been a fiscal crunch coming that was visible from space.

Despite that, voters have rewarded politicians who have cut taxes now, rather than doing anything to build up resilience for the squeeze which is now arriving bang on time.

I wouldn't mind so much if I could point to what the tax cuts have gained us apart from house price inflation.
    True; I’ve let Brown off the hook a bit there.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    Sandpit said:

Get well soon OGH.

What point are you trying to make there? The UK seems rather middling in that list.

I stick to my line that nothing is more important than health and we should invest more in it, in the people who deliver health services, in the infrastructure, in health education, in nudging people towards healthier lifestyles.

How's that going to be paid for? Taxes. But as I said 'nothing is more important than health'.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Get well soon OGH.

Having discovered that Roger Ford had a list of Laws;

Law Ten – If something has to be claimed as declared “world-beating” it almost certainly isn’t.

The next few months' figures, without the bulk of the energy support costs, will be instructive.
    ydoethur said:

... Stop them sharing it with the rest of us.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    Maybe. Maybe not. The NHS has needed to improve since 1948.

It is slightly built in to peoples' minds. What will really matter is inflation, the cost of living, and the pound in peoples' pockets.

Of course they respond "the NHS" to surveys but what will count is the economy, stupid.

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Get well soon OGH.

Having discovered that Roger Ford had a list of Laws;

Law Ten – If something has to be claimed as declared “world-beating” it almost certainly isn’t.
    Yes! I’m grateful to PB for this discovery. It doesn’t take much to tweak them beyond the context of rail either. Digital/IT, for example, fits pretty well.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,043

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Not out of line but (from the graph in your link) still spending a lower proportion of GDP on health than, among others, Holland, Sweden, France and Germany. Those who tell us these countries have better systems than the NHS might be right but rarely advocate increased spending.
    UK seems to be the same as the Netherlands in 2019, and higher than the Netherlands for 2020 on that link?

Either way, the Netherlands seems to be generally rated as a better health service than the UK (also better than eg Germany which seems to spend more), so maybe there are few things to learn.
  • Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

We've had fifty years or so where the boomer generation has been in employment and supporting a relatively small pensioner cohort. There has been a fiscal crunch coming that was visible from space.

Despite that, voters have rewarded politicians who have cut taxes now, rather than doing anything to build up resilience for the squeeze which is now arriving bang on time.

I wouldn't mind so much if I could point to what the tax cuts have gained us apart from house price inflation.
    The question is which political party will announce it is to stop the triple lock immediately, increase the retirement age to 70, and impose further taxes to address the issue of health and care

It is the correct thing to do but none will, certainly not labour, but the issue is not going away and whoever is in no 10 will become terrible unpopular as it becomes unavoidable
    HYUFD said:
    Is that for real? WTAF is the point of all those runners and riders?
    Taz said:

Always plant my humble tomatoes and bedding plants out on the last bank holiday in May.
    My car was also covered in frost this morning and there was some hail yesterday evening. This is a cold spring.
    edited April 2023
    Taz said:

Fogs in March, frosts in May.

We had no fogs in March this year so May will definitely* be frost-free.

(*DYOR)
    DavidL said:

Taz said:

My car was also covered in frost this morning and there was some hail yesterday evening. This is a cold spring.
    Getting warmer for the weekend though. 16° or 17°C, not too shabby.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135
    FF43 said:

Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

I agree with your general argument but point out the UK isn't particularly generous in its mandatory pensions, either on payments or age qualifications compared internationally. I think the biggest issues lie elsewhere.
    You can do similar generational transfers by making NI payable by pensioners and taxing wealth more. Or means testing pensions whilst maintaining/increasing the level of pension credit to protect the worst off.

HYUFD said:
    He suggested they try a cruelty free grand national?
    Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

Our state pension is one of the lowest in western Europe and living on it must be a bare existence even now. Such increases as there have been have been from such a low base that it remains low.

The real problem is not the state pension but earnings related pensions from employment in the public sector. These are a massive drain on our tax take. In certain narrow areas, such as the fire service, providing the pensions for retired staff costs more than the current service. Unlike the State pension which is now only generally available at 67, these public sector pensions often start at 60 and are then in payment for even longer.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135
    HYUFD said:
    I wonder if the narrator is our Saturday morning pb troll!

Sandpit said:

Get well soon OGH.

What point are you trying to make there? The UK seems rather middling in that list.

I stick to my line that nothing is more important than health and we should invest more in it, in the people who deliver health services, in the infrastructure, in health education, in nudging people towards healthier lifestyles.

How's that going to be paid for? Taxes. But as I said 'nothing is more important than health'.
    Biggest issue with NHS is they do nothing till people ar ereally ill, some money spent up front end would surely stop a lot of the chronic stuff that is very expensive in hospitals. Also because of the hero worship it is badly run , GP's are a shambles nowadays. Needs some people who know what they are doing coming up with a real strategy going forward, instead we get arses like Barclay.
  • O/T, what are the betting implications of these scenarios if you bet on Biden as nominee / to win 2024?

https://amac.us/what-if-biden-cant-finish-the-race/

None of them seem entirely implausible but I would imagine, when it comes to the betting rules, there would be some implications.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    malcolmg said:

Needs some people who know what they are doing coming up with a real strategy going forward, instead we get arses like Barclay.

And Yousless

HYUFD said:
    Was really pathetic.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,069
    IanB2 said:

His three core character traits were evident by the time he left university:

● A skill exceptionally rare among political leaders to communicate with charisma and humour with the public far and wide, to read the mood and currents of politics, and to raise people’s sights about what could be achieved.

● An all-consuming self-centredness that impelled him to be the most important and visible person on every occasion, with the minimum effort required, and to be impatient of any person, precedent or procedure getting in the way of that quest. “I want it all and I want it now” was an impulse he found difficult to overcome.

● A lack of moral seriousness not mitigated by his intellect and rhetorical skills. Causes, commitments, colleagues as well as pledges, policies and partners were regarded as transitory and transactional. Any could be picked up only to be jettisoned when they no longer served his interests or pleasure.

These added up to three flaws that, unaddressed, would prove fatal: an inability to value truth and to set or pronounce on moral boundaries; to recognise merit, appoint the best people and trust them to do their jobs; and to stick by any decision or person without changing his mind.

No. No idea. Rowan Williams? Nelson Mandela? Attlee?

Gosh this game is difficult.

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    @MattChorley

Cheer up!

@StigAbell on Times Radio: “Inflation isn’t halving. The NHS isn’t fixed. You’re not stopping the boats… can you confidently say that Brexit isn’t affecting our ability to recover?”

Trade minister @kevinhollinrake: “Don’t be so pessimistic Stig.”

Sandpit said:

Get well soon OGH.

Yes, that’s my point. That the pandemic has screwed healthcare services across the world, not just in the UK.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503

HYUFD said:
    Tbf some of them looked like they need a bit of exercise.

Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

The question is which political party will announce it is to stop the triple lock immediately, increase the retirement age to 70...
    That would forfeit the votes of most people still in work who are over fifty. The Tories certainly aren't going to, and neither is anyone else, any time soon.
    Any further increases in pension age will happen very gradually.
This discussion has been closed.