Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Without the NHS improving Sunak’s government looks doomed – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,730

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

@BBCandrewkerr

The SNP’s former Treasurer Colin Beattie has told journalists that he “didn’t know” about the SNP’s motorhome. He was asked: “Did you know about the motorhome purchase and did you sign it off?” He replied: “No, I didn’t know about it.” Mr Beattie then walked away from the group.

He what? That bloody motorhome really is a baffling part of this story. Who, why, where, it's a mess
    It is indeed, especially when looked at in the context of the accounts. At the end of the accounting period (in which there is no evidence of the acquisition of such a vehicle) the SNP had access to something like £200k for fighting future campaigns. To spend more than half of that on a motorhome is genuinely inexplicable. Within months of the apparent purchase Mr Murrell makes an (undeclared) loan to the party of almost the exact size as the purchase because the party is suffering "cash flow problems".

The NEC, the deputy leader, the Treasurer, members of the Cabinet and all of the leadership candidates were simply not told of the expenditure of nearly half of the available money. It's completely weird. Its almost as if a small number of people at the top of the party knew that there was plenty of other money available if it was needed which was not reflected in the official accounts.
    It's baffling. I thought I understood the original allegation (discussed on here several times over the last 2 years) regarding the SNP independence fund.

The story made sense; the SNP needed cash, it had cash, and at least some people thought they could spend the cash it had. Then Murrell bailed it out, a bit, to stem the damage and/or dissuade donors from raising complaints publicly. The piggy bank would be quietly refilled, only political weirdos would even notice.

But this bus I have no idea about.

Was the motor home in the accounts as a fixed asset?
    The fact everyone is going "Huh????" suggests not.

Although....anyone who asked to see those accounts could, but they would have to kill you afterwards.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    edited April 2023

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

@BBCandrewkerr

The SNP’s former Treasurer Colin Beattie has told journalists that he “didn’t know” about the SNP’s motorhome. He was asked: “Did you know about the motorhome purchase and did you sign it off?” He replied: “No, I didn’t know about it.” Mr Beattie then walked away from the group.

He what? That bloody motorhome really is a baffling part of this story. Who, why, where, it's a mess
    It is indeed, especially when looked at in the context of the accounts. At the end of the accounting period (in which there is no evidence of the acquisition of such a vehicle) the SNP had access to something like £200k for fighting future campaigns. To spend more than half of that on a motorhome is genuinely inexplicable. Within months of the apparent purchase Mr Murrell makes an (undeclared) loan to the party of almost the exact size as the purchase because the party is suffering "cash flow problems".

The NEC, the deputy leader, the Treasurer, members of the Cabinet and all of the leadership candidates were simply not told of the expenditure of nearly half of the available money. It's completely weird. Its almost as if a small number of people at the top of the party knew that there was plenty of other money available if it was needed which was not reflected in the official accounts.
    It's baffling. I thought I understood the original allegation (discussed on here several times over the last 2 years) regarding the SNP independence fund.

The story made sense; the SNP needed cash, it had cash, and at least some people thought they could spend the cash it had. Then Murrell bailed it out, a bit, to stem the damage and/or dissuade donors from raising complaints publicly. The piggy bank would be quietly refilled, only political weirdos would even notice.

Yes?
    Scott_xP said:

@GlennBBC

Colin Beattie signed off the SNP’s 2021 accounts which included motor vehicle assets worth £80k

Not 100% sure of the timings here. I think the 2021 were late?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Sky showing we are using 51.5% gas and just 23.7% renewables just now, no doubt as I look from our balcony to the Gwynt y Mor offshore wind farm they are barely turning and I assume other wind farms across the UK are the same

My car needed defrosting this morning and it’s nearly May!
    Frosts in the North East can happen well into May.

Always plant my humble tomatoes and bedding plants out on the last bank holiday in May.
    My car was also covered in frost this morning and there was some hail yesterday evening. This is a cold spring.
    Is it a cold spring?

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/cet_info_mean.html

Not much sign of it in the data.
    Interesting, although I see your data is for central England rather than Scotland. I would say, subjectively, it has been colder and drier than normal this year.
    I know someone who'd shown that central England Temperature anomalies were a pretty good proxy for Northern European temperature anomalies.

Though I should point out that the anomalies in the link are compared to 1961-90. Present-day averages are at least 1C higher and something of a moving target. So, you can probably say that April has been a little bit colder than what passes for normal these days, but it's not a patch on the couple of cold springs we've had in the last decade (I think 2013 and 2017 were most notable from memory).
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    Dura_Ace said:

I just got an impressively mental PMC Wagner recruitment advert on Telegram. It promises that recruits will be delivered from bankruptcy, all bad habits and, I'm not making this up, "сварливая теща". Lit. "grumpy mother in law".

"Ни шагу назад!"

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Sky showing we are using 51.5% gas and just 23.7% renewables just now, no doubt as I look from our balcony to the Gwynt y Mor offshore wind farm they are barely turning and I assume other wind farms across the UK are the same

Always plant my humble tomatoes and bedding plants out on the last bank holiday in May.
    My car was also covered in frost this morning and there was some hail yesterday evening. This is a cold spring.
    Is it a cold spring?

The evidence from the moths is patchy.

Quite a few were early at the start of the year (insanely early in a few cases). But then as March went into April, things have really quietened down. The number of species being registered is still there, but all the moth trappers are referencing the very low numbers of moths for those species that are about.

Now, this might be related to the weather this year. But it could also be down to a poor spring last year that impacted the food plants not being available. We also had ground like concrete late in the spring which made it damn near impossible for some moths to emerge.

Whichever, if we have another spring like this next year, time to get very worried.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,699
    edited April 2023
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

The GOP platform is likely to be as much a problem for them as the choice of candidate.

2024 Republicans run into political buzz saw on abortion
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3967236-2024-republicans-run-into-political-buzz-saw-on-abortion/
    Republicans are running into a political buzz saw on abortion, with the party’s presidential candidates facing serious pressure to adopt highly restrictive policies that others in the GOP fear will cost the party the White House next year.
    Former President Trump, the frontrunner for the 2024 GOP nomination, received significant pushback from several high-profile abortion opponent groups last week
    when his campaign issued a statement suggesting he supported the idea that the issue of abortion should be decided at the state level.
    Trump sought to defend his record on abortion following the criticism during an event in Iowa, noting the three Supreme Court justices he tapped while in office were ultimately part of the high court’s majority in overturning Roe v. Wade last year.
    Other potential GOP candidates have taken stricter positions. At a Heritage Foundation event last week, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) drew applause from the crowd when he touted signing a six-week abortion ban in his state. Former Vice President Pence has doubled down on his stance on the abortion pill mifepristone — which has been approved by regulators for 23 years — saying this week he wanted to see it “off the market.” ..

I'm not sure about this.

Abortion is very much a wedge issue, and adopting a hard line puts a cap on the Republican vote. This prevented them from winning the House election by high single figures (which is a pretty common margin for the out-party in a mid-term). But they did still win that election by just under 3% of the vote, and that'd be sufficient for them in a Presidential election.

Highly divisive politics is quite grim for those of us of a moderate, pragmatic mindset. But it can work electorally - if you judge the wedge issue well, it doesn't matter if 45% of people (say) hate you, and indeed the hatred in itself works really well in motivating the 45% who love you. It can't really deliver a blowout win, but presidential politics is binary.
    It was a winning issue for them; it’s a net negative since Dobbs started to have real world consequences.
    The true believers want ever more extreme restrictions; the vast majority of the US doesn’t. But the true believers still have an outsize voice in the primaries.

It won’t motivate 45% of the electorate. More like 25%, and demotivate some of the 20% balance.
    In which case, sell Trump as he's not an abortion hardliner?
    Dura_Ace said:

I just got an impressively mental PMC Wagner recruitment advert on Telegram. It promises that recruits will be delivered from bankruptcy, all bad habits and, I'm not making this up, "сварливая теща". Lit. "grumpy mother in law".

Leeds United fans and PMC Wagner is surely a match made in heaven hell?
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    Dura_Ace said:

Did it persuade you to sign up?

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Is it a cold spring?

Interesting, although I see your data is for central England rather than Scotland. I would say, subjectively, it has been colder and drier than normal this year.
    I know someone who'd shown that central England Temperature anomalies were a pretty good proxy for Northern European temperature anomalies.

Though I should point out that the anomalies in the link are compared to 1961-90. Present-day averages are at least 1C higher and something of a moving target. So, you can probably say that April has been a little bit colder than what passes for normal these days, but it's not a patch on the couple of cold springs we've had in the last decade (I think 2013 and 2017 were most notable from memory).
    2018 was Beast from the East year.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

For anyone interested, later this afternoon Japanese company ispace are attempting to land a lander onto the Moon.

If they achieve this, it will be quite an accomplishment (it already is quite an accomplishment, just to have got that far,)

Livestream here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpR1UUnix3g

Somewhat cynically, landing isn't difficult, landing in working order is the trick!

The mars explorer that Colin Pillinger was involved with almost certainly landed...
    Lithobraking
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

@BBCandrewkerr

Although....anyone who asked to see those accounts could, but they would have to kill you afterwards.
    The accounts are here: https://search.electoralcommission.org.uk/Api/Accounts/Documents/24333
    In the previous year (2020) the SNP had no vehicles. In 2021 the balance sheet shows vehicles of £80,632. That might be the written down value of the motor home or it may be other things. I mentioned that a rather fancy minibus sat outside an SNP office in Dundee for a couple of years, apparently not moving.
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,067
    edited April 2023

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Is it a cold spring?

That wasn't a cold spring though - it was February so very much winter.

Although it might also have been a cold-ish Spring. From memory of the local elections that year, it was unusually variable and I recall delivering leaflets in the snow and in very hot weather within a couple of weeks.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380
    Dura_Ace said:

Death does deliver from all of those, I guess.

Except the MiL in due course, perhaps, if you believe in hell :wink:
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    Sean_F said:

Scott_xP said:

@BestForBritain
    7m
    Sunak’s five goals going well, I see. Growth 0.0%; Inflation falling slower than expected; NHS waiting lists growing faster; and no boats “stopped” - unless you count scheduled ones from Dover, delayed by queues.

And now UK debt to GDP hits a record high. I make that 0/5. 👍 ~AA

What's going on? Only a matter of weeks ago I was assured on here that growth was on the up and Labour's fox was well and truly shot.
    Growth should come in at c.0.6% for the first quarter. Borrowing came in £13bn below target.
    I don't think "target" is the right word, I'd go with "expectations".
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Is it a cold spring?

Although it might also have been a cold-ish Spring. From memory of the local elections that year, it was unusually variable and I recall delivering leaflets in the snow and in very hot weather within a couple of weeks.
    As we all know, Spring doesn't begin until 20 March.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Is it a cold spring?

Beast from the East was March (second week?). Followed by a second great dump of snow, a week later, also in March.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    edited April 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

Unsurprisingly for brutalised violent criminals the survivors of six months are causing mayhem on discharge:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/22/alcohol-and-prostitutes-wagner-convicts-pardoned-by-putin-return-to-terrorise-home-towns?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    Found a working Calmac ferry. MV LOTI, launched 1989.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

Sandpit said:

US aviation authorities suspend Starship launches pending a full accident investigation, which is standard procedure.

The launch pad itself suffered significant damage, and there was more debris kicked up than expected, some of which fell outside the human exclusion zone. Debris from the final explosion, caused by an automated self-destruct ‘flight termination system’ after the first stage failed to achieve its objectives, rained down for hours in the local area off the coast of Texas.

They’re going to have to rebuild the pad, and come up with a much better exhaust suppression system. Which, to be fair, they were planning anyway.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2023/04/25/elon-musk-spacex-starship-rocket-grounded/

Two of my predictions sadly came true:

*) The pad system didn't work. Although I await details, I'm far from convinced that the proposed workaround will work, either. There are reasons NASA and others do it the way they do. In this case, the best part are many more parts - especially if you want to do regular launches. It is somewhere that over-engineering really would pay off.

*) The Raptor engines just aren't reliable.

Some are excusing the latter with an assumption that they got hit by debris from the pad. Whilst I can imagine some of the early ones failing to that cause; I doubt those that failed after a minute or more was due to that.

They've been regularly losing Raptors on the test stand.
    The Telegraph article misses the main reason for the engine failures. The hydraulics…
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,521
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

@BBCandrewkerr

The accounts are here: https://search.electoralcommission.org.uk/Api/Accounts/Documents/24333
    In the previous year (2020) the SNP had no vehicles. In 2021 the balance sheet shows vehicles of £80,632. That might be the written down value of the motor home or it may be other things. I mentioned that a rather fancy minibus sat outside an SNP office in Dundee for a couple of years, apparently not moving.
    Signed off on 30th June 2022.
    Eabhal said:

Is that Mallaig? Been a long time, so I can't quite work it out.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

The GOP platform is likely to be as much a problem for them as the choice of candidate.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3967236-2024-republicans-run-into-political-buzz-saw-on-abortion/
    Republicans are running into a political buzz saw on abortion, with the party’s presidential candidates facing serious pressure to adopt highly restrictive policies that others in the GOP fear will cost the party the White House next year.
    Former President Trump, the frontrunner for the 2024 GOP nomination, received significant pushback from several high-profile abortion opponent groups last week
    when his campaign issued a statement suggesting he supported the idea that the issue of abortion should be decided at the state level.
    Trump sought to defend his record on abortion following the criticism during an event in Iowa, noting the three Supreme Court justices he tapped while in office were ultimately part of the high court’s majority in overturning Roe v. Wade last year.
    Other potential GOP candidates have taken stricter positions. At a Heritage Foundation event last week, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) drew applause from the crowd when he touted signing a six-week abortion ban in his state. Former Vice President Pence has doubled down on his stance on the abortion pill mifepristone — which has been approved by regulators for 23 years — saying this week he wanted to see it “off the market.” ..

I'm not sure about this.

Abortion is very much a wedge issue, and adopting a hard line puts a cap on the Republican vote. This prevented them from winning the House election by high single figures (which is a pretty common margin for the out-party in a mid-term). But they did still win that election by just under 3% of the vote, and that'd be sufficient for them in a Presidential election.

Highly divisive politics is quite grim for those of us of a moderate, pragmatic mindset. But it can work electorally - if you judge the wedge issue well, it doesn't matter if 45% of people (say) hate you, and indeed the hatred in itself works really well in motivating the 45% who love you. It can't really deliver a blowout win, but presidential politics is binary.
    It was a winning issue for them; it’s a net negative since Dobbs started to have real world consequences.
    The true believers want ever more extreme restrictions; the vast majority of the US doesn’t. But the true believers still have an outsize voice in the primaries.

It won’t motivate 45% of the electorate. More like 25%, and demotivate some of the 20% balance.
    The problem for Republicans is that it's one of the few areas they can frame themselves as the good guys ("protecting life") while Democrats have a harder job explaining their position. They are trying to get the trans thing as a replacement, but it's just not a common enough issue for people to care. Meanwhile, money in politics, gerrymandering, cutting taxes on the rich, slashing welfare... all of that makes them seem like the assholes.
    edited April 2023
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I'm not sure about this.

Fair point that there are a reasonable number of people for whom it simply isn't that big an issue either way (I suppose we always underestimate the extent of "who cares?" on a lot of issues).

What I question is net impact at the presidential as opposed to congressional level.

I certainly see that it prevented the GOP from winning by high single figures or even more as is pretty common in a mid-term (particularly in the context of Afghanistan withdrawal and a poor economic/energy price backdrop). So instead of a healthy House and Senate majority they have a narrow House majority and the Democrats have the Senate. Dobbs played a big role in that.

But they simply don't need a blowout to win the Presidency. 51/49 is as good as 55/45 or even 60/40 - indeed, the GOP probably don't need a majority of votes. The vote shares in 2022 would have been enough.

The point is it's hard to get a blowout win based on wedge issues unless your opponent is very flawed. But you don't need that in a presidential system. You can afford, if you judge it right, to split the electorate down the middle and be highly divisive. 50%+1 is fine in that system, but isn't in a congressional election.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    If Biden faces Trump, Biden wins.

Anyone else, it’s more of a challenge.

I am comfortable with that assessment and it’ll take a lot to move me from it.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,467

Sandpit said:

US aviation authorities suspend Starship launches pending a full accident investigation, which is standard procedure.

The launch pad itself suffered significant damage, and there was more debris kicked up than expected, some of which fell outside the human exclusion zone. Debris from the final explosion, caused by an automated self-destruct ‘flight termination system’ after the first stage failed to achieve its objectives, rained down for hours in the local area off the coast of Texas.

They’re going to have to rebuild the pad, and come up with a much better exhaust suppression system. Which, to be fair, they were planning anyway.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2023/04/25/elon-musk-spacex-starship-rocket-grounded/

*) The pad system didn't work. Although I await details, I'm far from convinced that the proposed workaround will work, either. There are reasons NASA and others do it the way they do. In this case, the best part are many more parts - especially if you want to do regular launches. It is somewhere that over-engineering really would pay off.

Some are excusing the latter with an assumption that they got hit by debris from the pad. Whilst I can imagine some of the early ones failing to that cause; I doubt those that failed after a minute or more was due to that.

The Telegraph article misses the main reason for the engine failures. The hydraulics…
    We don't know that for sure, do we? It is an assumption.

It lost between six and eleven engines, out of thirty-three. Certainly six. That's a massive amount.

IMV the Raptor engines are not ready for service; IIRC two engines didn't even start on the static fire.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,854
    Andy_JS said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

On topic, we need to pay doctors more.

The UK is permanently losing thousands of doctors overseas each year, analysis of official figures suggests.

More than half of doctors who have left the UK medical register told an official survey by the General Medical Council that they were both unlikely and unwilling to return.

Separate figures from the doctors’ regulator show that 4,843 individuals moved abroad to practise medicine last year.

Doctors have reported overseas recruiters from countries such as New Zealand, Canada and Australia capitalising on NHS industrial disputes to fill gaps in their own workforce.

While the UK medical workforce is growing, it is itself heavily reliant on overseas medical recruitment, with almost a third of UK doctors foreign-trained.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/half-of-doctors-tempted-overseas-unlikely-and-unwilling-to-return-8k79k3qm5

British taxpayers pay most of their university fees. They should stay here.
    How would that work?

The reality is people go where they are paid the most.

And we aren't paying them enough so Australia are finding it incredibly easy to recruit UK trained staff because they pay more, offer better working conditions and more sun.
    Well, if it keeps happening, they ought to pay more towards their degree. Why should British taxpayers fund a very expensive degree, only for the degree holders to go elsewhere?
    A very good point, I think. We taxpayers should pay for the good-quality training of medics who are going to stay here and work for us.

The ones who are going to work abroad should pay for their own training in some other (cheaper) country and practise their skills there.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    edited April 2023
    Selebian said:

Eabhal said:

I'd go for Oban, with the terminal off to the left.

Looks like a perfect day for a cruise down the Sound of Mull, unless just heading for Craignure.
  • If Biden faces Trump, Biden wins.

It has been said (I forget by whom) that there is an odd circularity in that Biden beats Trump, Trump beats Generic Democrat, Generic Democrat beats DeSantis, and DeSantis beats Biden.

In reality I don't think it is as clear cut as that - any of those contests is close and decided on fine margins. But there is certainly an element of truth in it.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,573
    ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

The UK is permanently losing thousands of doctors overseas each year, analysis of official figures suggests.

More than half of doctors who have left the UK medical register told an official survey by the General Medical Council that they were both unlikely and unwilling to return.

Separate figures from the doctors’ regulator show that 4,843 individuals moved abroad to practise medicine last year.

Doctors have reported overseas recruiters from countries such as New Zealand, Canada and Australia capitalising on NHS industrial disputes to fill gaps in their own workforce.

While the UK medical workforce is growing, it is itself heavily reliant on overseas medical recruitment, with almost a third of UK doctors foreign-trained.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/half-of-doctors-tempted-overseas-unlikely-and-unwilling-to-return-8k79k3qm5

How would that work?

And we aren't paying them enough so Australia are finding it incredibly easy to recruit UK trained staff because they pay more, offer better working conditions and more sun.
    Well, if it keeps happening, they ought to pay more towards their degree. Why should British taxpayers fund a very expensive degree, only for the degree holders to go elsewhere?
    A very good point, I think. We taxpayers should pay for the good-quality training of medics who are going to stay here and work for us.

The ones who are going to work abroad should pay for their own training in some other (cheaper) country and practise their skills there.
    Rather difficult to enforce.....
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,759

Sandpit said:

It lost between six and eleven engines, out of thirty-three. Certainly six. That's a massive amount.

IMV the Raptor engines are not ready for service; IIRC two engines didn't even start on the static fire.
    We don't know why, though.
    The engines themselves might be more reliable than that.
    Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I'm not sure about this.

In which case, sell Trump as he's not an abortion hardliner?
    Trump will promise whatever he needs to get the nomination, so don't assume that.
    It's more likely his criminal trial entanglements that stop him.
    WillG said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I'm not sure about this.

The problem for Republicans is that it's one of the few areas they can frame themselves as the good guys ("protecting life") while Democrats have a harder job explaining their position. They are trying to get the trans thing as a replacement, but it's just not a common enough issue for people to care. Meanwhile, money in politics, gerrymandering, cutting taxes on the rich, slashing welfare... all of that makes them seem like the assholes.
    It doesn't work like that now Dobbs is law.
    The "good guys" are forcing women to the brink of death before they are allowed procedures which might save their life.

The balance of those strongly motivated by the issue has shifted.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    "Matt Chorley
    @MattChorley

Jeremy Corbyn won the 2017 election.

My full mind-boggling interview with Noam Chomsky on your Times Radio at 11am"

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1650792807479615490
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    1,400 UK military personnel now involved in Sudan rescue effort, including 120 dropped this morning at Khartoum airbase. New DPM Oliver Dowden to chair COBRA meeting this afternoon.

Advise changed for British nationals, they are now to make their way to the airport if possible.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/04/25/sudan-conflict-evacuation-news-live-fighting-ceasefire/
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    Andy_JS said:

"Matt Chorley
    @MattChorley

It would have been better if Chorley had let him speak.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    So Biden announces he will run for re election in 2024. Probably best as he is the only Democrat who has proved he can beat Trump.

Main question now whether he keeps Harris as his VP nominee

If Biden faces Trump, Biden wins.

It has been said (I forget by whom) that there is an odd circularity in that Biden beats Trump, Trump beats Generic Democrat, Generic Democrat beats DeSantis, and DeSantis beats Biden.

In reality I don't think it is as clear cut as that - any of those contests is close and decided on fine margins. But there is certainly an element of truth in it.
    You are of course right that it is more nuanced than I am making out. But I think the mantra you mention there is quite a good rule of thumb.
    Trump's civil rape trial.

Rough start for Trump, as jurors will absolutely hear from another journalist who says the real estate tycoon forced himself on her.
    https://twitter.com/Jose_Pagliery/status/1650854736176791552
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,573
    edited April 2023
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    @nytimes
    Breaking News: Harry Belafonte, the barrier-breaking singer, actor and activist who became a major force in the civil rights movement, has died at 96. nyti.ms/444e0xM
    edited April 2023

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Is it a cold spring?

Beast from the East was March (second week?). Followed by a second great dump of snow, a week later, also in March.
    Googling it, it was last week of February, just into March with, as you say, a second mini-wave a fortnight later. So closer to spring than I'd remembered, but nevertheless still winter.

As I say, my recollection is there were some incredibly hot days in April that year over the local election campaign, and election day itself was baking.
    HYUFD said:

So Biden announces he will run for re election in 2024. Probably best as he is the only Democrat who has proved he can beat Trump.

Main question now whether he keeps Harris as his VP nominee

He has already confirmed she will be.

In actuality he had little choice but to stick with her.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    @JesseLehrich

Justice Gorsuch was trying to sell a 40-acre property for 2 years.

9 days after his confirmation, he sold it & didn't disclose the buyer –– the CEO of a law firm that's since had 22 cases with business before SCOTUS.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369

ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

How would that work?

Wouldn’t it be simpler to pay the whole costs of training (fees and a living grant) to all trainee doctors with a contract that they have to work for x number of years in the NHS (with an allowance to spend a year working abroad for extra relevant experience) otherwise they are then liable for the costs.

If Australia wants to pinch them then that’s fine but the transferring doctor is going to need to ask the Australian recruiters to pay their training costs off.

Not only does this open up medical schools to anyone who otherwise couldn’t afford or was too scared of the cost but also if we lose doctors overseas we get the money back to go back into the training pot.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    edited April 2023
    As a man of advanced years, I have to say there are few greater pleasures than sitting in a rooftop bar in Bangkok, under the tropic stars, sipping a splendid Tanqueray 10 and tonic, and reading about the SNP fucking up YET AGAIN

edited April 2023

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Chorley
    @MattChorley

Not a big Matt Chorley fan, but I think he got it about right.

Chomsky speaks with great certainty and authority, such that people tend to believe him. He does need a bit of "nope, that's just not true" to prick the bubble. That's also true of him as an academic, where he's certainly more knowledgeable than he is as a political pundit, but equally adamant where he has limited justification for being so.

Chomsky's a nasty piece of work in my view. He has a fan-base and is quite often right on academic matters - but he is so vile and belittling to people who disagree... his academic articles are uncomfortable reading at times as there is a hell of a lot of very hard punching down towards very much junior (but capable) academics.
    Leon said:

As a man of advanced years, I have to say there are few greater pleasures than sitting in a rooftop bar in Bangkok, under the tropic stars, sipping a splendid Tanqueray 10 and tonic, and reading about the SNP fucking up YET AGAIN

You need to get out more.

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Chorley
    @MattChorley

Not a big Matt Chorley fan, but I think he got it about right.

Chomsky speaks with great certainty and authority, such that people tend to believe him. He does need a bit of "nope, that's just not true" to prick the bubble. That's also true of him as an academic, where he's certainly more knowledgeable than he is as a political pundit, but equally adamant where he has limited justification for being so.

Chomsky's a nasty piece of work in my view. He has a fan-base and is quite often right on academic matters - but he is so vile and belittling to people who disagree... his academic articles are uncomfortable reading at times as there is a hell of a lot of very hard punching down towards very much junior (but capable) academics.
    He was always an ideologue rather than a scientist.
    Now he's just embarrassing - though you have to make some allowance for his being 95.

Selebian said:

Eabhal said:

I'd go for Oban, with the terminal off to the left.

Looks like a perfect day for a cruise down the Sound of Mull, unless just heading for Craignure.
    Ah yes, could well be right. Been even longer since I've been on a boat at Oban and then arriving (from Lochboisdale). That's a nice trip in good weather, which it was.
    ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

How would that work?

Should we require Oxbridge graduates to do the same, such as our PM? Or indeed all University graduates?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057
    Foxy said:

ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

How would that work?

Should we require Oxbridge graduates to do the same, such as our PM? Or indeed all University graduates?
    Yes.
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

How would that work?

Yes.
    What about people who have gained valuable experience in the UK such as armed forces, civil servants, teachers or financiers? Shouldn't they all pay a tax to get their exit visa too?
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I really do. I have basically and voluntarily locked myself in this hotel for two-three weeks, to finish a long term project. My food is delivered, my laundry is delivered, my female company is delivered, my only modest solace is this rooftop bar and the Tanqueray. Then back to work

But soon I shall be free…..

Free

FREE I TELL YOU. FREEEEEEEEE
    Scott_xP said:

@JesseLehrich

9 days after his confirmation, he sold it & didn't disclose the buyer –– the CEO of a law firm that's since had 22 cases with business before SCOTUS.

Unbelievable.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/25/neil-gorsuch-colorado-property-sale-00093579
    ...Nine days after he was confirmed by the Senate for a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court, the then-circuit court judge got one: The chief executive of Greenberg Traurig, one of the nation’s biggest law firms with a robust practice before the high court. Gorsuch owned the property with two other individuals...

...Gorsuch did not disclose the identity of the purchaser. That box was left blank.

Since then, Greenberg Traurig has been involved in at least 22 cases before or presented to the court, according to a POLITICO review of the court’s docket.

They include cases in which Greenberg either filed amicus briefs or represented parties.

That he didn't recuse himself on those cases is as obvious a breach of judicial ethics as you can imagine.

The Supreme Court justices are basically saying they don't hold themselves to a lower set of standards than is expected of every other judge.
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

The engines *might* be more reliable than that; but they've been losing some on the test stand this year. The excuse of "They're testing the engine's limits!" seems feeble when they lost so many on the rocket as well.

I reckon Raptor 2's have got significant issues - were they even at full power during launch, given there was no payload?

Still, the big issue is the pad. I'm unsure how they'll fix that, but it's a heck of a lot of energy to dissipate.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

How would that work?

Yes.
    Why limit this to graduates?

Anyone who has received free state education should be banned from working abroad.
    A Biden v Tucker Carlson prez election would be fun (if Trump goes down)
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I really do. I have basically and voluntarily locked myself in this hotel for two-three weeks, to finish a long term project. My food is delivered, my laundry is delivered, my female company is delivered, my only modest solace is this rooftop bar and the Tanqueray. Then back to work

Free

Fair dos.
    Just ease off on the SNPorn.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

On this occasion I think Leon has it right! I only wish I could get to Bangkok again.
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Free

"my female company is delivered."

That sounds... icky.
    edited April 2023

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

The engines *might* be more reliable than that; but they've been losing some on the test stand this year. The excuse of "They're testing the engine's limits!" seems feeble when they lost so many on the rocket as well.

I reckon Raptor 2's have got significant issues - were they even at full power during launch, given there was no payload?

I've no idea.
    But it was interesting that the failures were very far from randomly distributed among the engines. That might just be coincidence, but it possibly suggests something about how they are plumbed in (to put it very crudely).
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,043

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I'm not sure about this.

Fair point that there are a reasonable number of people for whom it simply isn't that big an issue either way (I suppose we always underestimate the extent of "who cares?" on a lot of issues).

What I question is net impact at the presidential as opposed to congressional level.

I certainly see that it prevented the GOP from winning by high single figures or even more as is pretty common in a mid-term (particularly in the context of Afghanistan withdrawal and a poor economic/energy price backdrop). So instead of a healthy House and Senate majority they have a narrow House majority and the Democrats have the Senate. Dobbs played a big role in that.

But they simply don't need a blowout to win the Presidency. 51/49 is as good as 55/45 or even 60/40 - indeed, the GOP probably don't need a majority of votes. The vote shares in 2022 would have been enough.

The point is it's hard to get a blowout win based on wedge issues unless your opponent is very flawed. But you don't need that in a presidential system. You can afford, if you judge it right, to split the electorate down the middle and be highly divisive. 50%+1 is fine in that system, but isn't in a congressional election.
    I think the point is that before Dobbs a lot of people were happy enough with the status quo, and the issue wasn't enough to make them vote a certain way because they thought there was some kind of constitutional protection for some kind of access to abortion, whereas the 20% (say) minority of voters who were very strongly against abortion were willing to go out and vote for the most hardline anti-abortion candidate they could find. So it was a net vote-winner for Republicans. Now the status quo has changed, people who favour reasonable access to abortion know that they will actually have to vote for it, and it looks plausible that being hardline anti-abortion is going to be a net vote-loser for Republicans (though still maybe a vote winner in primaries).
    DYOR

“I think the press is underestimating the damage RFK Jr. could do to Biden. He’s polling at 14%. If he keeps this up, it’ll matter. No president in the past half-century has won reelection after surviving a primary challenger who got into the double digits.”

https://twitter.com/charlescwcooke/status/1650865908301135873?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg
    boulay said:

ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

How would that work?

Wouldn’t it be simpler to pay the whole costs of training (fees and a living grant) to all trainee doctors with a contract that they have to work for x number of years in the NHS (with an allowance to spend a year working abroad for extra relevant experience) otherwise they are then liable for the costs.

If Australia wants to pinch them then that’s fine but the transferring doctor is going to need to ask the Australian recruiters to pay their training costs off.

Not only does this open up medical schools to anyone who otherwise couldn’t afford or was too scared of the cost but also if we lose doctors overseas we get the money back to go back into the training pot.
    Agreed.
    But you're still going to have to pay a fairly decent rate in the early years, or you'll see your best students deciding to train overseas and stay there.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

I've no idea.
    But it was interesting that the failures were very far from randomly distributed among the engines. That might just be coincidence, but it possibly suggests something about how they are plumbed in (to put it very crudely).
    Likely resulting from the pad damage. There were large chunks of concrete flying off in all sorts of directions, and the vehicle was held on the pad for about six seconds as the engines spooled up. Presumably, as this was a prototype first stage, they had even more sensors than usual on it, which will in due course give us the details of how the failures occurred.

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Free

That sounds... icky.
    Or self dramatisation.
    He is a writer of fictions.
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

@JesseLehrich

Unbelievable.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/25/neil-gorsuch-colorado-property-sale-00093579
    ...Nine days after he was confirmed by the Senate for a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court, the then-circuit court judge got one: The chief executive of Greenberg Traurig, one of the nation’s biggest law firms with a robust practice before the high court. Gorsuch owned the property with two other individuals...

...Gorsuch did not disclose the identity of the purchaser. That box was left blank.

Since then, Greenberg Traurig has been involved in at least 22 cases before or presented to the court, according to a POLITICO review of the court’s docket.

They include cases in which Greenberg either filed amicus briefs or represented parties.

That he didn't recuse himself on those cases is as obvious a breach of judicial ethics as you can imagine.

The Supreme Court justices are basically saying they don't hold themselves to a lower set of standards than is expected of every other judge.
    I've never been more overcharged for legal work than by GT.

With that said...

(a) how much were Gorsuch's proceeds from the sale?
    (b) was the property sold at market rates?

This is also nowhere near as egregious as the Thomas case, as that was both well above market rates AND Thomas's mother continued to live in the house.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465

Sandpit said:

So Biden is currently aged 80. If he wins the race to be re-elected, he will stand down on Jan 20th, 2029, aged 86. Can’t help thinking it’s the wrong call, but there does appear to be something of a dearth of talent at the top of his party. And the other party.

I'm not actually sure there really is a dearth of talent in either party - there are several credible Senators, Governors, and cabinet members who might not all survive the hard kicking of the tyres provided by a primary process, but on paper are the equivalent of major party nominees of the past.

Ultimately, Biden promised to be a "bridge to the future" but is enjoying it too much and has become a bed-blocker. I don't mind him, but that's the reality.
    I think he's doing quite well, and is evidence for the case that a veteran Senator is a good choice for President as he knows how to work the system. He stumbles and misspeaks occasionally, but if that's the worst he can do, we can live with that.

Sure, one can make observations about what people in their 80s are on average like. But like all average they can obscure rather than illuminate. He's a moderate chap who is a good operator. They could do much worse, and may yet do so.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Free

That sounds... icky.
    Not unknown in Bangkok I believe.

Never had recourse to it myself.
    Foxy said:

ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

How would that work?

Perhaps we could make a start by charging all those students with dual nationality the going foreigner rate?
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,043
    Leon said:

DYOR

“I think the press is underestimating the damage RFK Jr. could do to Biden. He’s polling at 14%. If he keeps this up, it’ll matter. No president in the past half-century has won reelection after surviving a primary challenger who got into the double digits.”

https://twitter.com/charlescwcooke/status/1650865908301135873?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

Kennedy's an idiot or a conman, or probably both. Yuk.

But there's a maximum of 4 sitting presidents who didn't get re-elected in the past half-century so we're looking at a fairly small sample size being extrapolated from.
    edited April 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

@JesseLehrich

Unbelievable.

With that said...

This is also nowhere near as egregious as the Thomas case, as that was both well above market rates AND Thomas's mother continued to live in the house.
    It certainly is, since the purchaser was a law firm regularly arguing cases before the court, buying it almost immediately after he was confirmed.
    The amount of money (several hundred k) isn't the issue. It is the failure to recuse, which ought to be clear to a first year law student.

In both cases, it ought to be a pretty bright line between what is acceptable as a judge, and what isn't.
    We're not talking about politicians, even if they behave as such.

Also, Gorsuch, while an extremist, isn't completely unmoored from judicial principle in the way Thomas quite obviously has been for many years.

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

On this occasion I think Leon has it right! I only wish I could get to Bangkok again.
    i wish you the best of luck in getting out here

Thankfully, the truly hideous heat has abated, somewhat, and it is all much more tolerable. The evenings are soft and sweet, again, rather than baking and humid. The pollution has cleared as well

And Bangkok has the amazing energy, still, if not even more than before. I was just in the Food Court at the basement of Siam Paragon - about 90 hectares of thousands of people eating every cuisine in the world, and doing it noisily, happily, enjoyably (because the food is GOOD). Across the city the bars are full, the whisky pop ups are back, the cocktail VW combis with dancing tattooed ladyboys are back, the squid sellers in their carts trundle the streets, behind the blind accordion players and the hi society Chinese women in their limos, it’s as sensational as city as it ever was, and yet more skyscrapers rise even as I speak

There is no sense the Great Asian Boom is over, quite the opposite. Asia is still overtaking the west. No western city, not NYC, London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, LA (lol), anywhere, has the sheer vivacity and exuberance of Bangkok
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,661

The question is can two men over the age of 75 maintain an election for the next 18 months or so.

What is dismaying about Trump is how energetic he is. Not much sign of him slowing down. And little evidence of physical frailty. He seems energised by crowds and campaigning. So I dont think being a candidate will be a problem for him. Unfortunately.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

@JesseLehrich

Unbelievable.

With that said...

Thomas is just outright corrupt
    Chris said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

How would that work?

Yes.

Anyone who has received free state education should be banned from working abroad.
    I'm not talking about banning people going abroad. I am suggesting that they repay the state the money that it has spent on their education. As they are not responsible for the decisions made as children, they cannot be charged for the pre-16 expenditure. However, post-16 expenditure is fair game.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,661
    kamski said:

Leon said:

DYOR

But there's a maximum of 4 sitting presidents who didn't get re-elected in the past half-century so we're looking at a fairly small sample size being extrapolated from.
    Ford, Carter and Trump all duds. Bush Snr caught out by economy and a genius campaigner in Clinton. Think Biden should be Ok.
    kamski said:

Leon said:

DYOR

TBH I don’t even know who RFK is. Is he the anti vaxxer?

I just noticed that tidbit on Twitter and thought it might be of interest to the more committed PB bettors
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Leon said:

DYOR

Polling 14% with whom? Isn’t a rabid anti-vaxxer more likely to to appeal to the Trumpite end of the market?
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,767
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Thankfully, the truly hideous heat has abated, somewhat, and it is all much more tolerable. The evenings are soft and sweet, again, rather than baking and humid. The pollution has cleared as well

And Bangkok has the amazing energy, still, if not even more than before. I was just in the Food Court at the basement of Siam Paragon - about 90 hectares of thousands of people eating every cuisine in the world, and doing it noisily, happily, enjoyably (because the food is GOOD). Across the city the bars are full, the whisky pop ups are back, the cocktail VW combis with dancing tattooed ladyboys are back, the squid sellers in their carts trundle the streets, behind the blind accordion players and the hi society Chinese women in their limos, it’s as sensational as city as it ever was, and yet more skyscrapers rise even as I speak

There is no sense the Great Asian Boom is over, quite the opposite. Asia is still overtaking the west. No western city, not NYC, London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, LA (lol), anywhere, has the sheer vivacity and exuberance of Bangkok
    Nor, thank God, the pollution, humidity, mosquitoes, sprawl and general squalor.

Bangkok is the worst part of Thailand - best to head to the hills, beaches or islands asap.
  • Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

DYOR

I just noticed that tidbit on Twitter and thought it might be of interest to the more committed PB bettors
    If RFK Jr gets more than 1.4% I will be amazed.

He’s even more of a lay than Kari Lake.
    The third in Tim Shipman's "Out" trilogy after "Fall Out" and "All Out War", unimaginatively called "Out", is being released in hardback in May23 and in paperback in May24. The poor among us can get it from your local library. You can order it in Waterstones or those newfangled online sellers. Read it or be square, daddy-o.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/out/tim-shipman/9780008308940
    https://www.waterstones.com/book/out/tim-shipman/9780008308988
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

@JesseLehrich

Unbelievable.

With that said...

It certainly is, since the purchaser was a law firm regularly arguing cases before the court, buying it almost immediately after he was confirmed.
    The amount of money (several hundred k) isn't the issue. It is the failure to recuse, which ought to be clear to a first year law student.

In both cases, it ought to be a pretty bright line between what is acceptable as a judge, and what isn't.
    We're not talking about politicians, even if they behave as such.

Also, Gorsuch, while an extremist, isn't completely unmoored from judicial principle in the way Thomas quite obviously has been for many years.
    But if he paid market rate, then the actual benefit to Gorsuch will have been almost non-existent.

In addition, property sales take time. It's entirely possible thar the sale was agreed even before Scalia died.

Last point: GT has no political axe to grind, they are guns for hire.

Leon said:

DYOR

Polling 14% with whom? Isn’t a rabid anti-vaxxer more likely to to appeal to the Trumpite end of the market?
    So he is the anti-vaxxer?

Yeah he’s quite out there

However i think the wider point is good. I reckon Biden is seriously vulnerably to a black horse Dem candidate, probably more than any sitting president in recent history, who is seeking a second term. He is just TOO old, and he ain’t that popular

RFK maybe not, But someone else?

I have not focused enough on US Democrat politics to have any idea if there are feasible names out there - perhaps as black horses that’s bound to be true
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

DYOR

Son of Bobby Kennedy, so US royalty but yes he is unlikely to do well given his anti vax views.

However last time an incumbent US President faced a significant primary challenge, Carter in 1980, it was also from a Kennedy, Senator Ted Kennedy. Kennedy ran Carter close and Carter went on to lose the general election to Reagan
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465

Leon said:

DYOR

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/04/19/rfk-jr-campaign-poll-biden-voters/11690888002/

But yes. I assume that's nearly all name recognition.
  • viewcode said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

How would that work?

Yes.

I'm not talking about banning people going abroad. I am suggesting that they repay the state the money that it has spent on their education. As they are not responsible for the decisions made as children, they cannot be charged for the pre-16 expenditure. However, post-16 expenditure is fair game.
    Moving abroad does not exempt you from re-paying your student loans.
    It would however do so for a graduate tax.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,088
    Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

DYOR

Titbit, not tidbit. Bettor is American too, come to think of it. You are filtering posts through ChatGPT AICMFP.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516

kjh said:

eek said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

What tax breaks. Do enlighten me please.

No national insurance?
    That's NI the poster referred to tax breaks.
    It’s a tax break because they don’t pay it.
    Ni is not tax I mean TAX breaks
    In what way is National insurance not a tax - most tax avoidance schemes focus more on avoiding NI than avoiding income tax.
    The clue is in the title.
    The clue is in what it is and not its title. In what way is it not a tax? Not having the word tax in the name is the least impressive way of deciding it's not a tax. If government thought the population were that gullible they would be renaming lots of taxes and not include the word tax.

What do you think the treasury does with the money?
    It is effectively a group insurance policy that pays out when someone is sick or on maternity leave and covers as payment towards state pension.
    No it isn't. Honestly @squareroot2 I had you down as someone who was cynical. I'm glad to see there is a more trusting side to you, but you shouldn't believe that sort of propaganda. None of NI is ring fenced for those things. It all goes into a great big bucket of money that is spent on anything.

That is it is a tax just like Income tax, or Vat or IHT or CGT, etc, etc. The government doesn't even pretend it is ring fenced.
    Fishing said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nor, thank God, the pollution, humidity, mosquitoes, sprawl and general squalor.

Bangkok is the worst part of Thailand - best to head to the hills, beaches or islands asap.

Absolute bollocks

If you love the hedonistic pleasures of great cities - food, wine, fun, sex, bars, weird people, orgies, meeting Nick Palmer in a sauna, spectacular strangeness - Bangkok is fabulous. Anyone who says otherwise is a twat, or just a slower lower-watt type who likes sitting on a mountain

Fair enough. Mountains can be fun. But so can cities. And Bangkok is brilliant for fun

Janan Ganesh captured it well in the FT last summer, and it has only got livelier since then

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

DYOR

Yes, he is.

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

DYOR

Son of Bobby Kennedy, so US royalty but yes he is unlikely to do well given his anti vax views.

However last time an incumbent US President faced a significant primary challenge, Carter in 1980, it was also from a Kennedy, Senator Ted Kennedy. Kennedy ran Carter close and Carter went on to lose the general election to Reagan
    RFK would not be a significant challenger.

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

DYOR

Titbit, not tidbit. Bettor is American too, come to think of it. You are filtering posts through ChatGPT AICMFP.
    Bettor is better than better because it distinguishes a bettor from better
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

DYOR

Yebbut - antivax is a bit complicated. There are remnants of hardcore DEM antivaxxery stemming largely from the fact that Trump was in power when the vaccine was developed.
    A little reminder: ispace's lunar lander stream starts in ten minutes or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpR1UUnix3g
    Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

If you love the hedonistic pleasures of great cities - food, wine, fun, sex, bars, weird people, orgies, meeting Nick Palmer in a sauna, spectacular strangeness - Bangkok is fabulous.
    Does "hedonistic" mean "depraved"? Not convinced that I am cut out for so many hedonistic pleasures....

viewcode said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

How would that work?

Yes.

Not necessarily: the US taxes its citizens who move abroad, there's no reason why we could not do the same.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,631

viewcode said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

How would that work?

Yes.

It does, in the real world, because the SLC don't usually bother to sue through foreign courts. Even if they know where you've gone, which unless you've notified them, they don't.
This discussion has been closed.