Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Could his role on January 6th block Trump’s WH2024 campaign? – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

@Theuniondivvie

On the quiche/flan question, I suppose Coronation Quiche sounds better than much you can do with flan..

The Formal Flimflam Flan?

Spinach is a high risk ingredient for baking. I heard someone on the radio say unless every bit of water is squeezed out of it it’ll result in greenish eggy soup in a soggy pastry base.
    I suspect it was the ever-reliable Felicity Cloake:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/apr/17/more-like-spinach-pie-felicity-cloake-tests-king-charles-and-camillas-coronation-quiche
    I’ve had success with making quiche with spinach in the past, using the oven on low setting to drive off the water, before adding the spinach to the rest of the ingredients.
    THIS is a fantastic venison, leek, potato, mushroom and spinach recipe. Honestly, it's MARV

Takes about 40 minutes of easy cookery when you can be doing other stuff at the same time. I add chili flakes to the leeks and creme fraiche to the mash, and I add dashi and then bay leaves to the beef stock. YUM YUM YUM

It is also pretty healthy and you know the venison is wild and sustainable. Yay

https://www.mindfulchef.com/healthy-recipes/venison-steak-sauteed-leeks-and-mash

Also, double any specified amount of garlic. Of course
    @Leon has gone woke.

How very sad.
    What if Leon hunts the deer himself?
    Still woke.

Ultimately, deer are woke. Look at the buggers, even the ostensibly male ones look effeminate. God knows how they self identify.
    I think they are just in a rut. Have a hart and give them a break.
  • CitrusCitrus Posts: 27
    rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Oops! Here's that table of life expectancies, by American state: https://247wallst.com/state/heres-how-life-expectancy-in-north-dakota-compares-to-the-nation/

Here's a funny thing:

All the States with the highest life expectancy are Democrat. You need to get numbers 10 and 11 (Florida and Utah) to get to Republican ones.

And it's a real mix too: Hawaii, California, New York and Minnesota are all very different states demographically and racially.
    Yes because democrat states tend to be wealthier.
    Eh?

California is a crime infested hell hole: how can it possibly be wealthy?
    Well silicon valley for a start is extremely wealthy. As is much of the coast, orange county and the western side of los angeles.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    Citrus said:

Carnyx said:

Good job, Daily Mail subs, good job.

What does Ms Vine think is the coming apocalypse do we know? AI controlled W3W?
    Ive seen rumours on social media that all uk airports bar Heathrow, Glasgow and Belfast will close by 2030.
    Is this on the sites you're allowed to view from your windowless bunker in Russia?
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533
    rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

@Theuniondivvie

On the quiche/flan question, I suppose Coronation Quiche sounds better than much you can do with flan..

Spinach is a high risk ingredient for baking. I heard someone on the radio say unless every bit of water is squeezed out of it it’ll result in greenish eggy soup in a soggy pastry base.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/apr/17/more-like-spinach-pie-felicity-cloake-tests-king-charles-and-camillas-coronation-quiche
    I’ve had success with making quiche with spinach in the past, using the oven on low setting to drive off the water, before adding the spinach to the rest of the ingredients.
    THIS is a fantastic venison, leek, potato, mushroom and spinach recipe. Honestly, it's MARV

Takes about 40 minutes of easy cookery when you can be doing other stuff at the same time. I add chili flakes to the leeks and creme fraiche to the mash, and I add dashi and then bay leaves to the beef stock. YUM YUM YUM

https://www.mindfulchef.com/healthy-recipes/venison-steak-sauteed-leeks-and-mash

@Leon has gone woke.

How very sad.
    Whenever I cook like that it usually means I've found myself a new girlfriend.
    Show me a man who's a vegan, and I will show you a man who's trying to shag a vegan.
    I was a vegan for many a year and all I thought about was kale.

I await a TSE innuendo or I want many wasted years back.

(If it's any help - my final weakness was oily fish and black pudding)
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    edited April 2023
    I guess those rights were not so cherished after all, eh Fox?

Ahead of the trial, attorneys for Fox repeatedly objected to the $1.6bn in damages that Colorado-based Dominion was seeking, and characterised the figure as massively inflated.

The "real cost" of the case, Fox said, would be the "cherished" rights to freedom of speech and of the press enshrined in the First Amendment of the US Constitution.

Also, if they are complaining about the context of these messages, ergo that they are presumably misleading, is that in fact saying they did believe the claims and Fox stands by its claims?

In one series of text messages, top-rated host Tucker Carlson said some of the claims were both "absurd" and "insane", while another host, Sean Hannity, said privately he did not believe them "for one second".

Fox has said the words were taken out of context.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65318654
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,730
    Nigelb said:

Parties resolve their case in US

You're in the ball tonight, Big_G.

I said they might settle during the trial; fear beat out greed in the end. Will be interesting to see the details - if made public.
    The judge was very clearly unimpressed with everything about Fox's presentation of their case. The risk of a massive punitive settlement must have focused minds.
    Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Oops! Here's that table of life expectancies, by American state: https://247wallst.com/state/heres-how-life-expectancy-in-north-dakota-compares-to-the-nation/

Here's a funny thing:

All the States with the highest life expectancy are Democrat. You need to get numbers 10 and 11 (Florida and Utah) to get to Republican ones.

And it's a real mix too: Hawaii, California, New York and Minnesota are all very different states demographically and racially.
    Eh?

Well silicon valley for a start is extremely wealthy. As is much of the coast, orange county and the western side of los angeles.
    Actually, you make a good point. Even in Russia, there are parts where some people - the ones who stole all the money - have lots of money and long lives.

Pity the poor bastards in the rest of the country.
    rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

Carnyx said:

Ive seen rumours on social media that all uk airports bar Heathrow, Glasgow and Belfast will close by 2030.
    Is this on the sites you're allowed to view from your windowless bunker in Russia?
    Have you noticed how the price of long haul flights have soared ie likely around £ 800 to £ 1000 to fly to Bangkok. Now if the price of short haul flights soar due to net zero many of the uks regional airports will see vastly reduced traffic.
    As an aside, I see Hogwarts Legacy is the third most played game on Steam.

I wonder how that boycott is going...

Nigelb said:

Parties resolve their case in US

You're in the ball tonight, Big_G.

I said they might settle during the trial; fear beat out greed in the end. Will be interesting to see the details - if made public.
    The judge was very clearly unimpressed with everything about Fox's presentation of their case. The risk of a massive punitive settlement must have focused minds.
    To agree the settlement they did they must have feared Dominion getting the bulk of what it was demanding, or estimated the damage caused by testifying + the likely cost if they lost as being higher than $800m.

What the heck did they fear would come out from Rupert and Co testifying that it was worth that?
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

@Theuniondivvie

Not acceptable to royalists, of course, so no good as coronoation quiche. Too woke. But it does sound good.
    It's bloody brilliant, If spiced up a tiny bit. It has completely turned me on to venison - and I am trying to reduce my consumption of dubiously farmed beef, pork and chicken to near zero. If not zero

I only ever eat steak now (cooking at home) if I can research the provenance down to the actual cow, basically

Industrial farming of animals disturbs me greatly

Somewhat related - I've quite enjoyed these fermented hot sauces https://www.ooftsauce.com/ . The scotch bonnet in particular is good for pepping up a dish without being too OTT in the 'bourbon with sugar and vanilla and and and and' ...
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    We haven't had any Scottish opinion polls since 3rd April.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_Scottish_Parliament_election
    Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

Carnyx said:

Have you noticed how the price of long haul flights have soared ie likely around £ 800 to £ 1000 to fly to Bangkok. Now if the price of short haul flights soar due to net zero many of the uks regional airports will see vastly reduced traffic.
    British Airways long haul load factor is at a post 2020 high, so your "have you noticed" bears an uncanny non-alignment with reality.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    edited April 2023
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

@Theuniondivvie

@Leon has gone woke.

How very sad.
    Still woke.

Ultimately, deer are woke. Look at the buggers, even the ostensibly male ones look effeminate. God knows how they self identify.
    U what?

There must be an hell of a lot of testosterone being pumped out by the rcs1000 gonads.

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's a funny thing:

Eh?

Actually, you make a good point. Even in Russia, there are parts where some people - the ones who stole all the money - have lots of money and long lives.

Why are so many people on antidepressants and psychological medication in the usa if its that great. Bottomline is the usa is a dysfunctional highly atomised society.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849
    Omnium said:

O/T Evening all

I'm selling my flat and will likely have a fair chunk of cash that will essentially sit idle for a while. Could anyone suggest routes for that cash that avoid bank/system risk? I had hoped to just invest directly in gilts, but I can't see a 100% route of doing that. It seems that you have to go via 'computershare'.

I have most of my investments with Hargreaves Lansdowne, and they're great, but I don't want to have all of my eggs in one basket.

It doesn't have to be Gilts - could be UST or ECB bonds. Not interested in Gold or the like.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

You could try a money market (“enhanced cash”) fund with just about any of the major asset managers

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's a funny thing:

Eh?

Why are so many people on antidepressants and psychological medication in the usa if its that great. Bottomline is the usa is a dysfunctional highly atomised society.
    Why can't they just have a crippling alcohol problem like proper countries? That's how a manly nation deals with its issues.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Ooh, I just made an unexpected £30,000

That is the joy of the Knapping Industry. You toil for years on a Travertine Tickler, put it other there for people to enjoy, forget all about it, then suddenly someone from Brazil or California or Spitzbergen says "can I license that for 5 years, but in stiffened latex", and there you go. £30k

Sweeeeeeeeeet
    rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

Carnyx said:

British Airways long haul load factor is at a post 2020 high, so your "have you noticed" bears an uncanny non-alignment with reality.
    Doesnt change the fact prices are substantially higher. And BA serves the more upper end of the market anyway. An average middle class family will now find long haul extremely expensive, not so much the elite class for whom life continues as normal.
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

@Theuniondivvie

Not acceptable to royalists, of course, so no good as coronoation quiche. Too woke. But it does sound good.
    It's bloody brilliant, If spiced up a tiny bit. It has completely turned me on to venison - and I am trying to reduce my consumption of dubiously farmed beef, pork and chicken to near zero. If not zero

I only ever eat steak now (cooking at home) if I can research the provenance down to the actual cow, basically

Industrial farming of animals disturbs me greatly

Somewhat related - I've quite enjoyed these fermented hot sauces https://www.ooftsauce.com/ . The scotch bonnet in particular is good for pepping up a dish without being too OTT in the 'bourbon with sugar and vanilla and and and and' ...
    Ah, I love OOOFT!

One of my go-to sauces if I want my noggin exploded. In a good way
    kle4 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's a funny thing:

Eh?

Why can't they just have a crippling alcohol problem like proper countries? That's how a manly nation deals with its issues.
    Oh you mean like the uk. Of course i forgot.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    Leon said:

That is the joy of the Knapping Industry. You toil for years on a Travertine Tickler, put it other there for people to enjoy, forget all about it, then suddenly someone from Brazil or California or Spitzbergen says "can I license that for 5 years, but in stiffened latex", and there you go. £30k

Sweeeeeeeeeet

I have been paying my car insurance out of Korean language translation royalties for the last five years. It matches the amount very closely. No idea how the Koreans made any money though, given the translation cost.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226
    rcs1000 said:

Here's a funny thing:

The differences between Minnesota and Wisconsin are surprising.
    rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's a funny thing:

Eh?

As opposed to starting money losing companies in silicon valley without a hope of making a profit then going public and dumping the stock on some poor suckers "investors" whilst making a fortune for yourself having created nothing of value. You mean that sort of stealing.
    edited April 2023
    Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

Carnyx said:

Doesnt change the fact prices are substantially higher. And BA serves the more upper end of the market anyway. An average middle class family will now find long haul extremely expensive, not so much the elite class for whom life continues as normal.
    British Airways is trying to make a profit.

It will therefore charge the highest price the market will bear.

The completely full flight I;'ve just boarded from LA to London (despite the current high prices) is testament to this.

I see, as I gaze towards the back of the bus that the Premium Economy and... yes... even the Economy seats are also completely full.

So either: (a) plutocrats have been forced to travel economy, or (b) it turns out that while people might grimace, there's plenty of demand for flights from LA to London.

Although, I guess people might might just be fleeing the crime infested streets of Santa Monica.

Ghastly.

As Dominic Raab inquiry nears end, there’s one thing tha I’m told has made process particularly daunting for complainants. They got message @LucyJMcDaid & I have seen) saying deputy pm will see all evidence. That’s for his right of reply-but some haven’t taken part cos of that.

https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1648403039559057412

The ability to face and answer your accusers is a fundamental part of justice.

Are you suggesting that Raab should have to face accusations where he isn’t shown the detail of the complaints?
    Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's a funny thing:

Eh?

Because they can afford them?

Who wouldn't choose an evening of magic mushrooms and valium over a bottle of adulterated vodka?
    "Two publishers and the National Union of Journalists have condemned the police after anti-terror laws were used to arrest a French publisher as he arrived in London.

Ernest Moret was searched under counter-terrorism legislation after travelling from Paris on Monday.

His employer claimed he was stopped over his alleged involvement in French pension age protests.

The Metropolitan Police said a man had been arrested over obstruction."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65314605
    rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

Carnyx said:

The completely full flight I;'ve just boarded from LA to London (despite the current high prices) is testament to this.

I see, as I gaze towards the back of the bus that the Premium Economy and... yes... even the Economy seats are also completely full.

So either: (a) plutocrats have been forced to travel economy, or (b) it turns out that while people might grimace, there's plenty of demand for flights from LA to London.

Although, I guess people might might just be fleeing the crime infested streets of Santa Monica.
    Yes but as i said ba serves more the upper end of the market. And please dont overdo the humble bragging business class is just slightly more legroom and slightly better food.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,780
    rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

@Theuniondivvie

@Leon has gone woke.

How very sad.
    Whenever I cook like that it usually means I've found myself a new girlfriend.
    Show me a man who's a vegan, and I will show you a man who's trying to shag a vegan.
    Well, in the case of my vegan son and vegan daughter in law you may have a point.

Although we're still without grandchildren.

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

Carnyx said:

I just booked a longhaul ticket to Asia, for Thursday

For a moment - a shuddering, horrific moment - I toyed with going Economy, then I looked at the prices. Insane for Economy. Biz was about twice as much, rather than 5 times as much. So I yielded to logic and went Biz

But if they can charge that much for Economy, then airlines are filling their planes, and then some
    rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's a funny thing:

Eh?

Because they can afford them?

Who wouldn't choose an evening of magic mushrooms and valium over a bottle of adulterated vodka?
    No because people in the usa are psychologically messed up. It is a dog eat dog society dominated by large amoral corporations and a ruling class that has contempt for the people.

Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Omnium said:

O/T Evening all

I'm selling my flat and will likely have a fair chunk of cash that will essentially sit idle for a while. Could anyone suggest routes for that cash that avoid bank/system risk? I had hoped to just invest directly in gilts, but I can't see a 100% route of doing that. It seems that you have to go via 'computershare'.

I have most of my investments with Hargreaves Lansdowne, and they're great, but I don't want to have all of my eggs in one basket.

It doesn't have to be Gilts - could be UST or ECB bonds. Not interested in Gold or the like.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

You can use HL's Active savings to split it up amongst several separately insured building societies. About 3% instant access, or you can lock it up for 3 months, 6 months, a year or more for about 4.5%:

https://www.hl.co.uk/investment-services/active-savings/latest-rates-and-products
    Thanks carnforth. Yes I have split up my savings in the past using their platform. As I said above I really like HL, but I'm sort of worried about having one portal no matter how regulated and protected.

You used to be able to buy gilts directly through the post office.
    I may be being dumb but gilts are pretty risky short-term investments are they not? Their value can go down significantly if interests rates rise.

(Someone please correct me if I have that wrong).
    Not if you hold to maturity. So you want to be short duration in a situation like this
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    Here are two ecological fallacy examples you may find instructive:
    "Research dating back to Émile Durkheim suggests that predominantly Protestant localities have higher suicide rates than predominantly Catholic localities.[3] According to Freedman,[4] the idea that Durkheim's findings link, at an individual level, a person's religion to his or her suicide risk is an example of the ecological fallacy. A group-level relationship does not automatically characterize the relationship at the level of the individual.

Similarly, even if at the individual level, wealth is positively correlated to tendency to vote Republican, we observe that wealthier states tend to vote Democratic. For example, in 2004, the Republican candidate, George W. Bush, won the fifteen poorest states, and the Democratic candidate, John Kerry, won 9 of the 11 wealthiest states. Yet 62% of voters with annual incomes over $200,000 voted for Bush, but only 36% of voters with annual incomes of $15,000 or less voted for Bush.[5]."

And here's another that they don't mention: States that habitually vote Republican often have higher murder rates than states that habitually voted Democratic. Can we infer from this that Republicans are more likely to be murderers thatn Democrats?

No. And, in fact, individual data shows that the reverse is true.

(The third example is even more complicated: There is strong reason to believe that rising crime often leads to more support for Republicans.)
    rcs1000 said:

I'm sorry @Citrus, someone is trying to force champagne on me and therefore I need to go.

In an hour or so, as I drift into slumber, I will consider the good I've done in the world. Maybe you might want to consider the same.

Do you consider your job, trolling on a Western website, to be adding to the sum of human happiness? How many more people have healthcare and food, as a result of your actions?

Ok if you consider working for goldman sachs as doing good in the world. Others on this site would disagree.
    edited April 2023
    The weird thing about long haul airline ticket prices is that Economy tickets seem to have doubled in cost in the last 2-3 weird years, but Biz tickets remain roughly the same price

I cannot fathom the logic of this
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

Carnyx said:

I just booked a longhaul ticket to Asia, for Thursday

For a moment - a shuddering, horrific moment - I toyed with going Economy, then I looked at the prices. Insane for Economy. Biz was about twice as much, rather than 5 times as much. So I yielded to logic and went Biz

But if they can charge that much for Economy, then airlines are filling their planes, and then some
    I dont think they are flying as many planes as they used to.
    Leon said:

The weird thing about long haul airline ticket prices is that Economy tickets seem to have doubled in cost in the last 2-3 weird years, but Biz tickets remain roughly the same price

Fewer actual business flights due to zoom?
    Leon said:

They dont want as many plebs flying. Its net zero you see.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969
    edited April 2023
    Don't do it Fergie

Fergie's consolation prize? Duchess of York 'will be a VIP attendee at the coronation concert' after being snubbed from Westminster Abbey guest list

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11987397/Sarah-Ferguson-VIP-attendee-coronation-concert.html

It's a bit like getting an invitation to attend the "night do" of a wedding but not the actual wedding/reception itself.

My mother didn't do "night do's" she always said if she wasn't good enough to attend the wedding she wasn't good enough to attend the night do.

You gotta have some dignity and self respect... though I think in Fergie's case she might be a bit beyond that lol
    The next step will be to increase short haul flight prices so many can no longer afford their 2 weeks in Spain.
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

But then why aren't they reconfiguring their planes to reduce the Biz Class area, and stuff more people into the newly-profitable cattle class section?

I guess it's not cheap to reorganise planes but hmmm
    rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

Carnyx said:

Is £628 return a high price? Just found that on the BA website.
    Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm sorry @Citrus, someone is trying to force champagne on me and therefore I need to go.

In an hour or so, as I drift into slumber, I will consider the good I've done in the world. Maybe you might want to consider the same.

Do you consider your job, trolling on a Western website, to be adding to the sum of human happiness? How many more people have healthcare and food, as a result of your actions?

Ok if you consider working for goldman sachs as doing good in the world. Others on this site would disagree.
    You have no idea how flattered I am that there's a file in St Petersburg that says:

rcs1000 - worked at Goldman Sachs, son of OGH, known to spot paid posters at 120 yards

Is there any more I should know? Sexual predilections? That kind of thing.
    rcs1000 said:

Here's a funny thing:

Sounds like a correlation with wealth?
    rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

You have no idea how flattered I am that there's a file in St Petersburg that says:

rcs1000 - worked at Goldman Sachs, son of OGH, known to spot paid posters at 120 yards

Hows your company doing. Is it making money yet.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

But then why aren't they reconfiguring their planes to reduce the Biz Class area, and stuff more people into the newly-profitable cattle class section?

I guess it's not cheap to reorganise planes but hmmm
    At a random guess, they’ve put prices up until the market (seats) just clears (sells out)

Given that volume of air travel between many locations is capacity constrained - a lot of airports are at max flights - not much opportunity to increase volume….
    Citrus said:

The next step will be to increase short haul flight prices so many can no longer afford their 2 weeks in Spain.

And this benefits who? And how?

If you want to make some money from your "top tip", can I suggest you short the shares of Ryanair and Easyjet.

I do realize that sanctions mean that IGIndex and SpreadEx will sadly mean that they are unable to take your money.
    Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

It's doing very well thank you.

How's your company doing? Any customers other than the Kremlin?
    rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's a funny thing:

Eh?

Looking out on the dystopian vista of Sepulveda Boulevard at the moment… it’s ok… traffic is moving at least

The new budget arm of Japanese Airlines, ZipAir, does budget lie-flat business seats. You get a full flat seat, but otherwise it's mostly just the same as economy - same food and so on. From about £1750 LA to Tokyo return. Sadly no London flights yet.
    rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

If you want to make some money from your "top tip", can I suggest you short the shares of Ryanair and Easyjet.

I do realize that sanctions mean that IGIndex and SpreadEx will sadly mean that they are unable to take your money.
    Fewer people at higher price means airlines still make money. Just fewer plebs flying to spoil your day rcs.

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's a funny thing:

Eh?

Looking out on the dystopian vista of Sepulveda Boulevard at the moment… it’s ok… traffic is moving at least

Damnit, I'm on a plane to England.

See you next time.
    edited April 2023
    edit
    Leon said:

Sweeeeeeeeeet

Before tax…
    Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

Fewer people at higher price means airlines still make money. Just fewer plebs flying to spoil your day rcs.
    And how does this mesh with your claim that ask the UK airport are closing down?
    rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

You didnt answer my question. Is your company making money.
    rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

Carnyx said:

They cancelled my flight (17.50) - I have to fly American
    edited April 2023
    I went to NYC last year and few BA premium economy.

Was the first time I'd flew a long way and it was pretty good. The cabin crew were very "attentive" though on the flight home the meal gave me an upset stomach so I spent most of the flight going backwards and forwards to the toilet which is embarrassing at 30,000 feet lol...
    Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

And you didn't answer mine.

But, for the record, I think March will have been my insurance carriers first profitable month.
    rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

But, for the record, I think March will have been my insurance carriers first profitable month.
    And our financials are filed with the Arizona Department of Insurance and the NAIC, so feel free to check for yourself.
    rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

And how does this mesh with your claim that ask the UK airport are closing down?
    Its not my claim. Its what official documents circulating on social media are showing. Fits in with net zero.
    Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

Its not my claim. Its what official documents circulating on social media are showing. Fits in with net zero.
    The official documents circulating about the coming closure of 93% of the UK's airports?

You've ceased being amusing and are just talking shit.

Goodnight dear @Citrus.
    rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Life aint bad when you can fly business class on the back of a money losing company. Ah the perks of the western parasites (elites sorry)

Leon said:

Sweeeeeeeeeet

Before tax…
    Hence my likely absence from the UK for 9 months this year

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

rcs1000 said:

Citrus said:

Carnyx said:

They cancelled my flight (17.50) - I have to fly American
    Wait. You're not on the 1615 American flight are you?
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,583
    Per The Times:

"The leader of Britain’s largest anti-monarchist group says more than 1,350 people have pledged to protest during the coronation parade in May.

Graham Smith, the head of Republic, said the demonstration would mark “the largest protest action” in the group’s 50-year history.

Republic activists will wear yellow T-shirts and wave yellow placards to create an “unmissable sea of yellow” along the procession route in central London, he said. When the newly crowned King passes in his gold stage coach, they plan to boo loudly and chant: “Not my King”."
    MikeL said:

Per The Times:

"The leader of Britain’s largest anti-monarchist group says more than 1,350 people have pledged to protest during the coronation parade in May.

Graham Smith, the head of Republic, said the demonstration would mark “the largest protest action” in the group’s 50-year history.

Republic activists will wear yellow T-shirts and wave yellow placards to create an “unmissable sea of yellow” along the procession route in central London, he said. When the newly crowned King passes in his gold stage coach, they plan to boo loudly and chant: “Not my King”."

That's their largest protest action in 50 years?

Still, I hope they have a good time doing it.
    That's the end of @Citrus then? 😂
    GIN1138 said:

He didn't exactly try and hide his troll-ness, and I respect that.
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

Will him or one of his co-workers be back on Saturday (or maybe before then) ?
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

They seem to be instructed not to deny that they are russian trolls, but just to pretend the allegation has not been put.
    carnforth said:

rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

They seem to be instructed not to deny that they are russian trolls, but just to pretend the allegation has not been put.
    I'd be interested to know if they are actually posting from Russia.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

@Theuniondivvie

@Leon has gone woke.

How very sad.
    Better yet (in one way, anyway) IF he skins, guts, cleans, etc., etc., the critter using only flint tools of his own manufacture.
    We have crossover with Betfair Exchange. Labour majority now less than a 50% chance.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.167249195
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,458
    Trumpton 40
    Sanity 49
    DK/WNV 11

Interesting poll
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    edited April 2023
    From a couple of threads ago @kinabalu
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I'm one of those prior Tory don't knows, but after getting my local elections materials I've decided for the first time ever I'm going to vote Lib Dem in the upcoming local elections.

The Tories don't deserve my vote. And the Lib Dems have always put me off with their NIMBYism, but the material I received had not a single hint of NIMBYism on it, so I'm going to give them a chance this time.

Though I do wonder whether the election leaflets that they send out are adjusted depending upon the demographics of where they're sending it. I live on a new build estate, so anyone on this estate probably isn't a NIMBY - I wonder whether more NIMBYish material is being sent to other addresses instead, or whether the local candidate genuinely isn't playing on NIMBYism which I respect if so?

Isn't Nigel Farage your usual choice of protest vote? Still, ok, Lib Dems, yes why not. Much better actually. They're a decent bunch. And it's nothing sinister to finetune your election material to who's receiving it. They all do this.
    No, I quite openly despise Farage, and I have never ever cast a vote for him or a member of his party to be elected to serve time in office. Never would. I've previously voted to kick him out of a Parliament, hopefully he never gets in one again.

So I don't know why you feel the need to get nasty with me with this comment, seems rather desperate.
    I can forget or I can forgive. Just say which you prefer.

My main point, though, is that this exciting LD news from you isn't really so exciting because it's a PROTEST vote and you'll be back to the Cons at the GE. That's fair, isn't it?
    No its not fair.

2019 was a protest vote. I disliked Theresa "Go Home" May but still felt like a Conservative even if not in the Party. But my leaving the Tories now is a lot more substantial, the Tories under Sunak have turned their backs on aspiration and everything that made me support them in the past.

If the Tories only stand for being the party of inheritance and the party of the retired and screw people who work for a living - then they can choose to do that, but it will be without my vote. At either the local election, or the General Election too.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Senior members of the SNP are braced for Nicola Sturgeon’s imminent arrest in the wake of detectives interviewing her husband and the party treasurer amid an investigation into party finances.

Senior MPs and MSPs claim it is “inevitable” that the former first minister will be interviewed under caution or as a witness in the coming weeks.

Sturgeon is the only senior SNP official named on the party’s most recent financial accounts who has not been arrested.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/will-nicola-sturgeon-be-arrested-snp-2023-jrbftdjjm
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572

I have a friend who’s about to move from Kentucky to Texas; who’d have thought that would add four years to her life?
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

8C and leaden skies in the rugged Primrose Hill borderlands

UGH

Quite sunny and 15° in Leicester.
    Apparently the Western Isles are bathed in fine sunshine! - 18C and cloudless skies in Portreee, Skye, today

The weather map has been inverted

So far this has been one of the nastier springs I can remember. A decidedly wet, dull March - worst for forty years, is being followed by a cold grey April. It's a bit like the endless winter that was lockdown 3 in early 2021

Tho I did manage to get 9 weeks in southeast Asia from Jan to March this winter, so maybe I should wheesht ma groaning
    "Haud yer wheesht" is the correct terminology. But far better to leave this to the professionals.
    (hwiːʃ ) or wheesht (hwiːʃt ) Scottish. exclamation. 1. a plea or demand for silence; hush. verb.
    Yes. As in "wheesht!" = shut up. I've never seen it employed as a transitive verb though. "Haud yer wheesht" is the phrase usually used. Against stiff competition I would say that innapropriate use of Scottish terminology is your most annoying habit!
    Incredibly stiff competition but I'm going to have to disagree.

Constantly saying the Spectator is "intellectually high powered".

This makes me grind my teeth and sometimes even log off.
    That's because your response to any cogent intellectual argument from the other side is to just pompously dismiss them as a 'reactionary' and move on.

I suppose it's easier than dealing with the argument, though, and taxes the brain less.
    When you manage to present one we'll find out.
    Stupidity isn't a crime, so you’re free to go.
    If stupidity becomes a defence I am out of a job. But I certainly wouldn’t classify @kinabalu as such in any event.
    He shouldn't dish it out if he can't take it.

I'm not sure I can top his impressive "ffs, it's our turn" argument of earlier today anyway.
    I disagree. This succinctly summarised what is the most compelling argument for Labour and SKS next time around. Time for a change after 14 years, especially when the change is more boring than frightening.

Unless Sunak manages something truly spectacular over the next 18 months it’s a winner.
    Not at all, it was just an exclamation of partisan frustration.

@kinabalu would be much better able to understand politics in this country - not to mention be much more influential in shaping them - if he engaged with the opposing side to understand it, rather than blithely dismiss views he doesn't agree with.

Politics doesn't work on buggins turn; it works on the electorate selecting who is best fit and able to run the country, usually on the basis of the least worst choice.

As I argued on here yesterday: "time for a change" is a lagging indicator, not a leading one - for it to resonate, there has to be a better/more attractive alternative.
    I reckon @kinabalu finds it genuinely difficult to think outside his predictable, progressive, social democratic box. He has a world view, and he diligently sticks to it, and it comforts him, and it probably verifies often enough for him to feel it is acceptably accurate, so why risk changing his perspective? Easier to label opponents as "reactionaries" and file them comfortably away

But he is terrible at processing new data or coming up with new ideas or confronting fresh dilemmas….
    Concluding that all new data means that the End of the World is Nigh is hardly an improvement, tho.

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,761

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

@Theuniondivvie

@Leon has gone woke.

How very sad.
    Better yet (in one way, anyway) IF he skins, guts, cleans, etc., etc., the critter using only flint tools of his own manufacture.
    Not an easy task using a stone dildo. Respect.
    New Details Emerge in Deadly Upstate Shooting of Woman in Wrong Driveway
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/18/nyregion/kaylin-gillis-ny-shooting.html

Killer’s lawyer: He “sincerely regrets this tragedy”; “feels terrible that there was a fatality,” but felt the sheriff was “basically acting as judge, jury and executioner in this case.”

• Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 680
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Oh my.

Senior figures within the SNP have complained that the arrest of the party treasurer — just hours before Humza Yousaf made a key speech to launch his time as first minister — “stinks”.

The SNP was thrown into more chaos when Colin Beattie, a senior member of the Scottish parliament, was taken into custody as part of Operation Branchform, an investigation into possible fundraising fraud.

It is the second high-profile arrest made by officers examining concerns that £600,000 raised by SNP supporters specifically to fund a second independence referendum campaign had “gone missing”

Eyebrows had already been raised by the high-profile nature of raids this month on the Glasgow home of Nicola Sturgeon, the former first minister, and Peter Murrell, her husband and the former SNP chief executive.

Some sources complained that the response, which included uniformed officers marching in and out of the party’s headquarters, close to the Scottish parliament in Edinburgh was “disproportionate”. Murrell was arrested and questioned for 11 hours before being released....

...A senior figure in the SNP told The Times: “There’s a whole load of people going to be really angry about this, this stinks, this day of all days, that Colin Beattie would be arrested. No one would ever think there was a problem with Colin Beattie.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/senior-snp-members-say-arrest-of-colin-beattie-stinks-lxq0vg5gl

Who was the last bearded national party leader (UK/Scot/Wales/NI), before Mr Yousaf?

Things have fallen apart so quickly since he was elected that you can perhaps see why parties don’t go for leaders with beards…
    Jeremy Corbyn.
    Of course, silly me.

That ended well.
    Started off quite well, but Ruth Davidson we could have had PM Corbyn in June 2017.
    And the last non-Labour party leader with a beard (pre-Yousaf) was…?
    Arlene Foster
    edited April 2023
    Context on Fox-Dominion: Before this, Washington Post reported that Rupert Murdoch's "cumulative settlements over the past 13 years"—UK phone hacking, Fox sexual harassment, etc.—totaled near $750 million.

Today's $787.5 million eclipses all those settlements combined.

https://twitter.com/DylanByers/status/1648459888333561862

The magnitude of the settlement is perhaps related to the fact that Fox did not agree to apologise.

A source has confirmed to @Axios that Fox News will not be required to give any apologies or retractions on its air as a part of the settlement deal.
    https://twitter.com/sarafischer/status/1648439877636333572
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368

From a couple of threads ago @kinabalu

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I'm one of those prior Tory don't knows, but after getting my local elections materials I've decided for the first time ever I'm going to vote Lib Dem in the upcoming local elections.

The Tories don't deserve my vote. And the Lib Dems have always put me off with their NIMBYism, but the material I received had not a single hint of NIMBYism on it, so I'm going to give them a chance this time.

Though I do wonder whether the election leaflets that they send out are adjusted depending upon the demographics of where they're sending it. I live on a new build estate, so anyone on this estate probably isn't a NIMBY - I wonder whether more NIMBYish material is being sent to other addresses instead, or whether the local candidate genuinely isn't playing on NIMBYism which I respect if so?

Isn't Nigel Farage your usual choice of protest vote? Still, ok, Lib Dems, yes why not. Much better actually. They're a decent bunch. And it's nothing sinister to finetune your election material to who's receiving it. They all do this.
    No, I quite openly despise Farage, and I have never ever cast a vote for him or a member of his party to be elected to serve time in office. Never would. I've previously voted to kick him out of a Parliament, hopefully he never gets in one again.

So I don't know why you feel the need to get nasty with me with this comment, seems rather desperate.
    I can forget or I can forgive. Just say which you prefer.

My main point, though, is that this exciting LD news from you isn't really so exciting because it's a PROTEST vote and you'll be back to the Cons at the GE. That's fair, isn't it?
    No its not fair.

2019 was a protest vote. I disliked Theresa "Go Home" May but still felt like a Conservative even if not in the Party. But my leaving the Tories now is a lot more substantial, the Tories under Sunak have turned their backs on aspiration and everything that made me support them in the past.

If the Tories only stand for being the party of inheritance and the party of the retired and screw people who work for a living - then they can choose to do that, but it will be without my vote. At either the local election, or the General Election too.
    British politics resembles Italian politics. Short lived PMs wrestling with instability. The type of PM oscillating between an ideologue like Truss, populists like Johnson and technocratic managers like May.

Sunak is a technocrat. He’s here to stabilise the ship, shore up the Tory core and manage decline. His vision such as it is, is to reverse the excesses of the previous regime, borrow the more attractive opposition ideas and carve out a win to enable five more years of spreadsheets.

I’m not surprised you’re switched off. One of the tragedies of the British politics is how the Conservatives owned and strangled entrepreneurialism. Wih the exception of Thatcher their Tory tradition always trumps old school Libreralism.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,573
    edited April 2023
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

@Theuniondivvie

@Leon has gone woke.

How very sad.
    Well, I wasn't expecting to wake up to a comment like that on here.

I never would have guessed the poster either!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,631

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

@Theuniondivvie

@Leon has gone woke.

How very sad.

You found it hard?
    edited April 2023
    Deleted
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    The weather forecast now seems to be totally inaccurate, unless it's less than 12 hours or so away - in which case, there's little point in having a weather forecast.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

@Theuniondivvie

@Leon has gone woke.

How very sad.

You found it hard?
    It was a penetrating comment, for sure.
  • NEW THREAD

Not yet there isn’t!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,631
    Comments are buggered up. Just tried to leave one there and it’s not having it.

It’s a thread on the royal family, which is astonishing as we all know Mr Eagles is not in any way obsessed with them.
  • ydoethur said:

Comments are buggered up. Just tried to leave one there and it’s not having it.

It’s a thread on the royal family, which is astonishing as we all know Mr Eagles is not in any way obsessed with them.

Should be able to comment there.

It is a polling thread.
    IanB2 said:

Not yet there isn’t!

It is now....

Le nouveau fil est arrivé !

This discussion has been closed.