Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why I am now betting on LAB not getting a majority – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,187
    It may become Bannau Brycheiniog to the park management, and no-one else
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,546

kjh said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

I've just been watching the BBC idents that were used between 2002 and 2006, and the interesting thing about them is that they celebrate just about everything except anything that might be described as "provincial/rural England".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydqN-yo_2B4

That's the BBC for you.

Utterly Met in every way.
    A highly niche whinge there not actually true if you view the clip. Cornwall is pretty provincial. If you like green stuff, look at the previous idents.

https://youtu.be/KwNBDbMqOA8
    Any mention of the BBC will have the snowflakes racing each other to find the most faux offence.
    You have to admire the determination to be outraged. It must be exhausting to live life on kind of hair trigger.
    Rather ironic given the endless amount of stuff that wokesters seem to get wound up about...
    Really? Name one here? Yet we get bombarded by the small anti woke brigade here endlessly.
    Yesterday we had the stupidity of the Woke renaming the Brecon Beacons to virture-signal about climate change, because beacons burn and emit carbon or something.

They are quite batshit.
    The *Welsh* didn't rename anything - that name already existed. They have just declared they will exclusively use the Welsh name and not the English name.

Is Wales now "woke" because it wants to promote its own language? Naming things in Wales in Welsh is "woke"? Really?
    Where will it end though? If we're not careful, the Scots will start using terms like Eilean Siar for geographical regions :open_mouth:
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

I'm one of those prior Tory don't knows, but after getting my local elections materials I've decided for the first time ever I'm going to vote Lib Dem in the upcoming local elections.

The Tories don't deserve my vote. And the Lib Dems have always put me off with their NIMBYism, but the material I received had not a single hint of NIMBYism on it, so I'm going to give them a chance this time.

Though I do wonder whether the election leaflets that they send out are adjusted depending upon the demographics of where they're sending it. I live on a new build estate, so anyone on this estate probably isn't a NIMBY - I wonder whether more NIMBYish material is being sent to other addresses instead, or whether the local candidate genuinely isn't playing on NIMBYism which I respect if so?

Ditto. A continual majority for the Tories on Horsham District Council is a bad thing. They need a kick up the arse and I hope the electorate give them one.
    Unfortunately I live in a place where since the last local elections we've had both a Tory minority and a Lib/Lab/Green/Residents mob coalition. And neither was notably better than the other - in particular, all the parties I can vote for support the policy which makes many residents' life worse on a daily basis.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Welcome to PB, Mr. Gwent.

It does seem bizarre to just remove the English entirely.

I wonder if this will end up becoming the case with public institutions (my understanding is public sector workers need to be able to speak Welsh).
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,778
    Cookie said:

kjh said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

I've just been watching the BBC idents that were used between 2002 and 2006, and the interesting thing about them is that they celebrate just about everything except anything that might be described as "provincial/rural England".

That's the BBC for you.

A highly niche whinge there not actually true if you view the clip. Cornwall is pretty provincial. If you like green stuff, look at the previous idents.

Any mention of the BBC will have the snowflakes racing each other to find the most faux offence.
    You have to admire the determination to be outraged. It must be exhausting to live life on kind of hair trigger.
    Rather ironic given the endless amount of stuff that wokesters seem to get wound up about...
    Really? Name one here? Yet we get bombarded by the small anti woke brigade here endlessly.
    Yesterday we had the stupidity of the Woke renaming the Brecon Beacons to virture-signal about climate change, because beacons burn and emit carbon or something.

They are quite batshit.
    The *Welsh* didn't rename anything - that name already existed. They have just declared they will exclusively use the Welsh name and not the English name.

Is Wales now "woke" because it wants to promote its own language? Naming things in Wales in Welsh is "woke"? Really?
    The reason given for the name change is that 'Beacons' isn't a good look because it implies burning things which implies climate change. Which strikes me as pretty woke.

I'd also suggest the number of Welsh speakers in the Brecon Beacons is pretty low.
    That's the whole point. The number of Welsh speakers is low in many parts of Wales due to the 19th Century policy of eradicating it by, for example, punishing school children who were heard to use it. The suppression of 'inappropriate' language was the woke campaign of its day and it very nearly succeeded.
  • Options
    Westie said:

Mystic Dom reckons Trump practically has the 2024 USPE in the bag.
    He's done the maths. Silly sod.
    He's begging journalists to talk about him. Pathetic silly sod.

https://dominiccummings.substack.com/p/6-regime-change-new-data-shows-trump

What does DomCum actually do for a living these days?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,775

I'm one of those prior Tory don't knows, but after getting my local elections materials I've decided for the first time ever I'm going to vote Lib Dem in the upcoming local elections.

The Tories don't deserve my vote. And the Lib Dems have always put me off with their NIMBYism, but the material I received had not a single hint of NIMBYism on it, so I'm going to give them a chance this time.

Though I do wonder whether the election leaflets that they send out are adjusted depending upon the demographics of where they're sending it. I live on a new build estate, so anyone on this estate probably isn't a NIMBY - I wonder whether more NIMBYish material is being sent to other addresses instead, or whether the local candidate genuinely isn't playing on NIMBYism which I respect if so?

The phenomenon of aggressive NIMBYism by people who have moved into new homes, about ten minutes before, is not unknown.

As is the phenomenon of local logicians who don't initially campaign on NIMBYism, but adopt it to secure reelection.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,547
    kjh said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

kjh said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

That's the BBC for you.

They are quite batshit.

The reason given for the name change is that 'Beacons' isn't a good look because it implies burning things which implies climate change. Which strikes me as pretty woke.

I'd also suggest the number of Welsh speakers in the Brecon Beacons is pretty low.
    Isn't it full of Squaddies training?
    As with most National Parks, very few people actually live there at all - the boundaries tend to exclude the towns. But even if you include the 'just outside' towns like Brecon and Abergavenny, this is one of the less Welsh-speaking areas of Wales. I can see the argument for renaming Snowdonia, but this just seems daft.
    Marketing. It is working.
    Is it? Personally, I'd quite fancy a trip to the Brecon Beacons. Sounds delightful. Even before you get into the political reasons for the name change, Bannau Brycheiniog is much less appealing to my eyes.
    Maybe it's all the first part of a big ruse like when the Post Office changed its name to something terrible in order to then get the positive PR when it changed it back?
  • Options
    I have no clue what the Cymru is for Snowdonia and I won't remember what Brecon Beacons is either.

Do I need to? Locals get to declare the name of something in their own language. Colonists get to add their own name in the language of Jesus. Call it what you want in whatever language you want.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,923
    edited April 2023
    Cookie said:

Westie said:

Cookie said:

Jonathan said:

An excerpt from PB in 1923...

"I say lock up the suffragettes with their woke nonsense. The country is going to the dogs. The rot started twenty years ago when the front page of the London Illustrated News had a lithograph depicting the Welsh countryside rather than the Chilterns."

The suffragettes are nowadays portrayed as heroines by popular culture, but arguably put back the cause of women's representation by years. It was a battle which was being won anyway by less militant organisations; the actions of the suffragettes didn't really help and arguably set back the cause. The parallels with the the likes of Just Stop Oil and Extinction Rebellion and the others are obvious.

Also, what is their problem with snooker? It must be one of the least polluting activities in popular culture.

Sometimes my inner Dura Ace comes out. Bypass the courts and just take them outside and give them a proper kicking.
    There are no serious "obvious parallels" between the pseudo-gangs that you mention (and who do indeed deserve a good kicking) and the suffragettes (which incidentally was a word of contempt spread by the Daily Mail).

Anyone who thinks ER may not be a pseudo-gang should ask themselves whether striking miners would have been allowed to "occupy" London bridges in the 1980s.
    Well, the parallels are that both, through direct action, alienated potential supporters from a battle which was being won anyway.
    You could just as well assert that the increased awareness of the issues resulting from direct action helped to accelerate measures to address them. Either assertion needs supporting evidence if it is to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

I have no clue what the Cymru is for Snowdonia and I won't remember what Brecon Beacons is either.

Do I need to? Locals get to declare the name of something in their own language.

Yes, they do - but these people are trying to change the name of it in English.

But I suppose at least all the letters they think we should use do actually exist in English.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,979
    Is Beattie the current Treasurer or just the former Treasurer? Or both?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    edited April 2023

Both.

The Grover Cleveland of SNP treasurers.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,467

Isn't Nigel Farage your usual choice of protest vote? Still, ok, Lib Dems, yes why not. Much better actually. They're a decent bunch. And it's nothing sinister to finetune your election material to who's receiving it. They all do this.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Driver said:

Ditto. A continual majority for the Tories on Horsham District Council is a bad thing. They need a kick up the arse and I hope the electorate give them one.
    Unfortunately I live in a place where since the last local elections we've had both a Tory minority and a Lib/Lab/Green/Residents mob coalition. And neither was notably better than the other - in particular, all the parties I can vote for support the policy which makes many residents' life worse on a daily basis.
    Which policy is that, and where? You may be suffering from parties having Floating Voter Obsession, which features all parties congregating around a supposed centre ground, when actually (in local politics at least) the real floating vote may be quite different.
  • Options

Present treasurer
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited April 2023
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Currently a source of great irritation for US allies.

VW, Rivian, Nissan, BMW, Hyundai lose access to US EV tax credits
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=349255
    The U.S. Treasury said on Monday that Volkswagen, BMW, Nissan, Rivian, Hyundai and Volvo Cars electric vehicles will lose access to a $7,500 tax credit under new rules for battery sourcing.

The Treasury said the new requirements effective on Tuesday will also cut by half credits for the Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Rear Wheel Drive to $3,750 but that other Tesla models will retain the full $7,500 credit.

Vehicles losing credits on Tuesday are the BMW 330e, BMW X5 xDrive45e, Genesis Electrified GV70, Nissan Leaf, Rivian R1S and R1T, Volkswagen ID.4 as well as the plug-in hybrid electric Audi Q5 TFSI e Quattro and plug-in hybrid electric (PHEV) Volvo S60. The Swedish carmaker is 82 percent-owned by China's Zhejiang Geely Holding Group.

The rules are aimed at weaning the United States off dependence on China for EV battery supply chains and are part of President Joe Biden's effort to make 50 percent of U.S. new vehicle sales by 2030 EVs or PHEVs...

Biden has accepted the analysis that the disruption caused by moving to the EVs offers an opportunity for the US car industry to take back a large portion of its own market.

Tesla showed the way.

There was some interesting pleading from Big Auto in Congress. They wanted the definitions extended to “The American Continent”, so they could do much of the work in Mexico. It is of interest that they didn’t get that.

EDIT: the battery out sourcing to China is the classic business move for the kind of business leaders who feel uncomfortable with business or leadership. Much easier to buy the batteries in, rather than managed a large, complex operation.
    It's not just about cars, of course. It's a re-engineering of the energy industry as well. (See similar efforts regarding solar manufacturing.)

The UK has failed miserably on all of this, with the partial exception of wind power; the EU has done slightly better.
    [Citation Needed]

The UK has transitioned as well as the EU has, if not better than many nations, not that its a competition. Our transformation away from coal in recent years has been an incredible success not a miserable failure - and many EU nations have also been very successful too.

Some Scandinavian countries have always had a very high renewable sector and France is sui generis with their nuclear sector, but other than that the UK is up there with any other nation for having a major renewables proportion and elimination of coal in recent years.

Which EU nations do you think have not failed miserably if we have, and why?
  • Options

Do I need to? Locals get to declare the name of something in their own language. Colonists get to add their own name in the language of Jesus. Call it what you want in whatever language you want.

I do really like Eryri as a name (as it is so, for Snowdonia).

Less immediately drawn to 'Bannau Brycheiniog', but I don't really think my view, from Yorkshire, is particularly important.
  • Options

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/snowdonia-national-park-called-yr-25536121
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,217

https://zambianobserver.com/nigerian-explorer-discovers-lake-in-leicester-uk-and-challenges-colonial-narratives/

I'm looking forward to visiting the newly-discovered Iyi Ojemba sometime soon.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Do I need to? Locals get to declare the name of something in their own language.

But I suppose at least all the letters they think we should use do actually exist in English.
    How are they changing the name of it in English? The Cymru name has been around for centuries. The national park in English for decades. So the national park now wants to use the Welsh name from the 16th century as opposed to the modern English version.

So what? There really is a lot of snowflakery here - call it what you like. Do you refer to Brecon as Aberhonddu? Or Brecon?
  • Options

kjh said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

That's the BBC for you.

They are quite batshit.

Woke? No, except that the burning reason was used.

Stupid? Yes.

Wales is bilingual, so exclusively using one language rather than both is odd. Bilingual nations like Wales previously, or Canada etc, tend to use both languages not just one.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,394
    Cookie said:

kjh said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

That's the BBC for you.

They are quite batshit.

The reason given does seem a little absurd. ‘Look at us we’re being worthy’.

Still, it was nice to see Michael Sheen on TV speaking about it.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,547
    kinabalu said:

Isn't Nigel Farage your usual choice of protest vote? Still, ok, Lib Dems, yes why not. Much better actually. They're a decent bunch. And it's nothing sinister to finetune your election material to who's receiving it. They all do this.
    Yes they do, but I don't think Bart need worry about that in this instance. If I was a party finetuner looking only to cynically maximise my vote share, I'd be headlining on 'no further development' on his estate - my view is that those on the edges of town - which tends to be the new build estates - tend to feel strongest about opposing the edge of town moving further out. So if the LDs aren't saying it to Bart, they probably aren't saying it to anyone in his town.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,098

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

The U.S. Treasury said on Monday that Volkswagen, BMW, Nissan, Rivian, Hyundai and Volvo Cars electric vehicles will lose access to a $7,500 tax credit under new rules for battery sourcing.

The Treasury said the new requirements effective on Tuesday will also cut by half credits for the Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Rear Wheel Drive to $3,750 but that other Tesla models will retain the full $7,500 credit.

Vehicles losing credits on Tuesday are the BMW 330e, BMW X5 xDrive45e, Genesis Electrified GV70, Nissan Leaf, Rivian R1S and R1T, Volkswagen ID.4 as well as the plug-in hybrid electric Audi Q5 TFSI e Quattro and plug-in hybrid electric (PHEV) Volvo S60. The Swedish carmaker is 82 percent-owned by China's Zhejiang Geely Holding Group.

The rules are aimed at weaning the United States off dependence on China for EV battery supply chains and are part of President Joe Biden's effort to make 50 percent of U.S. new vehicle sales by 2030 EVs or PHEVs...

Biden has accepted the analysis that the disruption caused by moving to the EVs offers an opportunity for the US car industry to take back a large portion of its own market.

Tesla showed the way.

There was some interesting pleading from Big Auto in Congress. They wanted the definitions extended to “The American Continent”, so they could do much of the work in Mexico. It is of interest that they didn’t get that.

EDIT: the battery out sourcing to China is the classic business move for the kind of business leaders who feel uncomfortable with business or leadership. Much easier to buy the batteries in, rather than managed a large, complex operation.
    It's not just about cars, of course. It's a re-engineering of the energy industry as well. (See similar efforts regarding solar manufacturing.)

The UK has failed miserably on all of this, with the partial exception of wind power; the EU has done slightly better.
    [Citation Needed]

The UK has transitioned as well as the EU has, if not better than many nations, not that its a competition. Our transformation away from coal in recent years has been an incredible success not a miserable failure - and many EU nations have also been very successful too.

Some Scandinavian countries have always had a very high renewable sector and France is sui generis with their nuclear sector, but other than that the UK is up there with any other nation for having a major renewables proportion and elimination of coal in recent years.

Which EU nations do you think have not failed miserably if we have, and why?
    Most of Europe, if you're looking at battery and EV manufacturing. Granted much of the technology is Chinese or Korean, but they're at least building factories.
    Germany for photovoltaic manufacturing (we have the technology, but aren't building any factories).
    Similar story for electric motors; power inverters; long distance transmission cables
    etc.

In terms of the economic benefits, it very much is a competition.
  • Options

Driver said:

How are they changing the name of it in English?
    Oh dear.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,209

The Little Englander vibe is strong today, how dare another country name a place in their own language.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

No, I quite openly despise Farage, and I have never ever cast a vote for him or a member of his party to be elected to serve time in office. Never would. I've previously voted to kick him out of a Parliament, hopefully he never gets in one again.

So I don't know why you feel the need to get nasty with me with this comment, seems rather desperate.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Less immediately drawn to 'Bannau Brycheiniog', but I don't really think my view, from Yorkshire, is particularly important.
    There is a romance to 'local' names. Even when it turns out that, in the local language, the map maker was simply told, when asking what a mountain was called, 'the mountain' or 'the big pile of rocks'
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,714
    Cookie said:

kjh said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

kjh said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

That's the BBC for you.

They are quite batshit.

As with most National Parks, very few people actually live there at all - the boundaries tend to exclude the towns. But even if you include the 'just outside' towns like Brecon and Abergavenny, this is one of the less Welsh-speaking areas of Wales. I can see the argument for renaming Snowdonia, but this just seems daft.
    Is it? Personally, I'd quite fancy a trip to the Brecon Beacons. Sounds delightful. Even before you get into the political reasons for the name change, Bannau Brycheiniog is much less appealing to my eyes.
    Maybe it's all the first part of a big ruse like when the Post Office changed its name to something terrible in order to then get the positive PR when it changed it back?
    I think it comes into the 'No publicity is bad publicity category'. Everyone is talking about it. The Brecon Beacon wouldn't have crossed most people's minds. Now people who are thinking of taking a short break have that as an option on their list. Except Casino of course.
  • Options

Present treasurer
    Both in fact, he had to come back after his replacement actually asked to see the books and resigned when he was refused a look at them.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,682

R4 had a piece on the bloke who won a Sony Creative prize for photography with an AI generated image. I did a search on twitter and initially it came with a load of unfeasibly large breasted women with the faces of 12 year olds but I eventually found the actual pic.
    Impossible to tell with hindsight but is there a touch of tell tale exaggeration and caricature in the image?

Leon posted the story days ago. Look at the hands. AI can't draw hands for who knows what reason. A lot of human artists too, so maybe that is the reason.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154

eek said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Employment up another 160k, private sector pay up 6.9%, what recession?

Private sector driving inflation?
    Not driving inflation because that’s 13% but easily putting a limit on the level it can fall to because of the cost impacts 7% increases will be having.

Remember the only way to kill inflation is to destroy the reason why costs are rising (via high unemployment that allows wages to remain stagnant and fall in real terms) and the conditions for that clearly don’t exist at the moment.
    \it’s weird though as IT investment spending seems to have fallen off a cliff..
    Meanwhile,

Food inflation increased to 17.2 per cent on average in the year to March, up from 16.5 per cent in the year to February, the consumer group Which? said.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d51dc7ac-dd62-11ed-9cc2-0f7e26ed83eb?shareToken=72aab801645b0097cdf730526c8d65b3

There's something curious going on where prices are rising faster than wages, are still accelerating in some cases, and yet some commentators are saying "this is fine".

Two nations and all that, but how is this compatible with rising living standards? Experienced GDP vs. statistical GDP, if you like.
    Food inflation will have somewhat of a lag effect because of items like fertiliser - 2022 food was produced using fertiliser bought in 2021, 2023 food is being used with fertiliser bought in 2022 and the price of the latter surged because of the effects of the Russian-Ukraine conflict. How much of the current price rises is down to the fertiliser effect, I'm not sure but I would imagine it is significant.
    Meat prices are sky high and getting ever higher.
    Yet you can buy 95g sausages for 30p at the Morrisons butchers counter.

Or 3x300g Denver Steaks for £10.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Mr. G, Wales isn't another country, and it is at least bilingual.

Not sure it's clever for the Welsh to try and reduce employment possibilities, though. The headteacher of my primary school retired to Wales, got a bit bored and thought of re-entering teaching but Welsh was so difficult to learn he had to abandon the idea.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

There is a romance to 'local' names. Even when it turns out that, in the local language, the map maker was simply told, when asking what a mountain was called, 'the mountain' or 'the big pile of rocks'
    Torpenhow Hill, or “Hill Hill Hill Hill”

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/general-europe/hill-hill-hill-hill
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    edited April 2023

Westie said:

Mystic Dom reckons Trump practically has the 2024 USPE in the bag.
    He's done the maths. Silly sod.
    He's begging journalists to talk about him. Pathetic silly sod.

https://dominiccummings.substack.com/p/6-regime-change-new-data-shows-trump

What does DomCum actually do for a living these days?
    There's his Substack column which is monetised.

He was standing on street corners for a while, offering to work for the right kind of candidate to stop Trump in 2024. (!) That was back in the day. Right now he's touching the side of his nose and giving us all to believe that he's been up to some stuff that's USPE-related. He could tell us what it was, but then he'd have to kill us.

"Media organisations are free to use this data provided you make clear where it came from and link to this blog. (I can’t explain why I did this nor will I publish everything or the underlying data.)"

Wouldn't surprise me if Superdom wants to play Ron and the other Dom against each other.

За здоровье.
  • Options

R4 had a piece on the bloke who won a Sony Creative prize for photography with an AI generated image. I did a search on twitter and initially it came with a load of unfeasibly large breasted women with the faces of 12 year olds but I eventually found the actual pic.
    Impossible to tell with hindsight but is there a touch of tell tale exaggeration and caricature in the image?

Leon posted the story days ago. Look at the hands. AI can't draw hands for who knows what reason. A lot of human artists too, so maybe that is the reason.
    I posted it; Leon commented.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited April 2023
    I supppse for an English-speaker "Beacons" sounds quite positive and welcoming. Beacons lit from hill to hill in wartime, that sort of thing, plus "Brecon" souunds vaguely Western English somehow, rather than Welsh.

On the other hand if you're Welsh it wasn't very welcoming that you had your country occupied and most of your names changed. Pembrokeshire ? What's going on there ?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262
    edited April 2023

eek said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Not driving inflation because that’s 13% but easily putting a limit on the level it can fall to because of the cost impacts 7% increases will be having.

Remember the only way to kill inflation is to destroy the reason why costs are rising (via high unemployment that allows wages to remain stagnant and fall in real terms) and the conditions for that clearly don’t exist at the moment.
    Meanwhile,

Food inflation increased to 17.2 per cent on average in the year to March, up from 16.5 per cent in the year to February, the consumer group Which? said.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d51dc7ac-dd62-11ed-9cc2-0f7e26ed83eb?shareToken=72aab801645b0097cdf730526c8d65b3

There's something curious going on where prices are rising faster than wages, are still accelerating in some cases, and yet some commentators are saying "this is fine".

Two nations and all that, but how is this compatible with rising living standards? Experienced GDP vs. statistical GDP, if you like.
    Food inflation will have somewhat of a lag effect because of items like fertiliser - 2022 food was produced using fertiliser bought in 2021, 2023 food is being used with fertiliser bought in 2022 and the price of the latter surged because of the effects of the Russian-Ukraine conflict. How much of the current price rises is down to the fertiliser effect, I'm not sure but I would imagine it is significant.

Fresh chicken drunsticks are £1.85 a kilo at Aldi. Now, the gas required to heat up the oven and cook them on the other hand...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,384
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Shocking that Glasgow continues to call itself a name entirely derived from Gaelic.
    No doubt the numpty Rangers supporter I saw calling us the First City of the Union could provide suitable alternatives.
  • Options

eek said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Meanwhile,

Have the sausages seen a pig though and WTF is a Denver steak
  • Options

I supppse for an English-speaker "Beacons" sounds quite positive and welcoming. Beacons lit from hill to hill in wartime, that sort of thing, plus "Brecon" souunds vaguely Western English somehow, rather than Welsh.

On the other hand if you're Welsh it wasn't very welcoming that you had your country invaded and most of your names changed. Pembrokeshire ? What's going on there ?

Brecon sounds rather like Breton / Briton / Brittonic.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,035
    kjh said:

Cookie said:

kjh said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

kjh said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

That's the BBC for you.

They are quite batshit.

I think it comes into the 'No publicity is bad publicity category'. Everyone is talking about it. The Brecon Beacon wouldn't have crossed most people's minds. Now people who are thinking of taking a short break have that as an option on their list. Except Casino of course.
    Side note, but there are plenty of examples of bad publicity being bad publicity.
  • Options

Not sure it's clever for the Welsh to try and reduce employment possibilities, though. The headteacher of my primary school retired to Wales, got a bit bored and thought of re-entering teaching but Welsh was so difficult to learn he had to abandon the idea.

It is Wales though and NOT England, no compulsion to have names that suit England.
  • Options

Cookie said:

kjh said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

That's the BBC for you.

They are quite batshit.

That's the whole point. The number of Welsh speakers is low in many parts of Wales due to the 19th Century policy of eradicating it by, for example, punishing school children who were heard to use it. The suppression of 'inappropriate' language was the woke campaign of its day and it very nearly succeeded.
    It wasn't really wokery, it was more about business efficiency / control - if you had a workforce that was speaking a different language from other members / bosses (and the latter were often English-only speaking) etc, it made a lot harder to communicate orders etc.

If anything, it was the then equivalent of Tech trying to make the world uniform to optimise efficiency. Same with the introduction of a standardised measurement of time (for the railways).
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,635
    Time for India to revert to Bombay and Calcutta, as they were much easier for us to say and spell.

Meanwhile, I gather that John Redwood is seeking to get his constituency name changed. Wokingham is apparently beyond the pale.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    A name that can be easily pronounced after a couple of glasses of wine would likely make tourism easier.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,682
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Tesla showed the way.

The economic activities of the US are increasingly mercantilist. This really started with Trump, Obama was a more traditional free trader, but it is if anything accelerating under Biden.

It is a response to China, of course, but Europe is going to be caught in the backwash. Our best hope is that the US joins the CTTP and we get favoured access through that.
    It started before Trump and has probably always been there. The real point is that the British Establishment does not understand the rules of the game as played by the United States and most of the rest of the world, and is giving away the crown jewels because the one introductory unit of economics they took on their PPE course combined with adulation of Mrs Thatcher results in a cartoon view of free markets while other countries stack the deck. Look at police cars, public transport or cloud computing to take three current examples.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,454
    edited April 2023
    carnforth said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Meanwhile,

Fresh chicken drunsticks are £1.85 a kilo at Aldi. Now, the gas required to heat up the oven and cook them on the other hand...
    Buy an air fryer

In fact we have two and have upgraded our microwave to a microwave oven and simply have stopped using the cooker

The savings are extraordinary, but you do need to adjust to the lower temperature and cooking times in air fryers but I always test the temperature of the food with a prick thermometer or in the case of a chicken an oven proof thermometer inserted into the leg

Interesting that food retailers are introducing air fryer cooking instructions on their labels and indeed M & S had such an instructions on a packet of Aberdeen Angus beef burgers

I expect Air Fryer instructions to become as common as microwave instructions on food labels
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

It is Wales though and NOT England, no compulsion to have names that suit England.
    The vast majority of us in Wales are Welsh and only speak English, nothing to do with England. If the Welsh speakers want to speak Welsh good luck to them, we just want the same respect.
  • Options
    The price of a Russian Colonel

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1648236339257638912?cxt=HHwWgIC8tfiN298tAAAA

He should have held out for a Miele at least....
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    SNP MSP and treasurer arrested:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65309791
  • Options

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1648236339257638912?cxt=HHwWgIC8tfiN298tAAAA

So he was found guilty of laundering ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

No compulsion to have names that suit England whatsoever.

On the other hand a very large proportion of people living in Wales speak English as their first language. Is there a reason to be xenophobic against them?

What's wrong with the tradition of bilingual names?

Even without entering Wales, driving near Chester there's plenty of road signs that name places in both languages, because that's what people speak. If Wales wants to transition to having a single language, then that's up to them, but its a bilingual not monolingual nation at present.
  • Options

I wash my hands of the whole thing.
  • Options

mwadams said:

Ghedebrav said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

No matter that the current incumbent had a maths geek past; that just makes him the sort of guy whose political bedfellows, probably while wearing tailcoats, would have thrown in a pond. Never have the sniggeringly innumerate been more powerful than they have been for the past decade. And never have those in power been more inclined to ignore or disparage anyone who told them the numbers just didn’t add up.

I don’t want to bang on about Brexit. We’re over Brexit. Recall, though, that every credible economist in the world told us how much it would hurt, and the winning side got away with telling them to bog off back to their spreadsheets. And it didn’t end there. Would a party that valued the ability to count have elected a bumbling Balliol Classicist who had to text his chief science adviser, as Johnson did mid-pandemic, to learn the difference between a ratio and a percentage? Would it have replaced him with Liz Truss?

Does the maths of small boats — 45,756 arrivals in 2022 — offer any justification for putting 500 people on a barge, or one day sending a couple of hundred more to Rwanda?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/its-ministers-who-have-the-anti-maths-mindset-7ldr5ht3s

"I don't want to bang on about Brexit ' but.,,....................,.
    .........bang.......bang......bang......
    Getting lectured in numeracy bu someone who thinks that 4% and 0.08% are the same is kind of galling.
    I do understand a bit of the impetus behind 'maths to 18', but (setting aside the chronic shortage of maths teachers), it's things like ratios, logic, statistics etc. that seem most relevant and helpful in everyday life (that and working our darts finishes). Strikes me maybe as an curriculum issue in the KS2/3/4 rather than 'do two more years of trig'.

In passing, I've no doubt that I learned more useful maths in my archaeology degree - a module on applied use of statistics - than I did in my GCSE maths.
    Archaeology, along with geography, is one of the few superpower degrees. If I have an opportunity to hire a grad in those subjects, I jump at it. Most are maths literate, critical thinkers with an ability to solve both practical & theoretical problems, work in teams, and string a sentence together.
    mwadams said:

Ghedebrav said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

No matter that the current incumbent had a maths geek past; that just makes him the sort of guy whose political bedfellows, probably while wearing tailcoats, would have thrown in a pond. Never have the sniggeringly innumerate been more powerful than they have been for the past decade. And never have those in power been more inclined to ignore or disparage anyone who told them the numbers just didn’t add up.

I don’t want to bang on about Brexit. We’re over Brexit. Recall, though, that every credible economist in the world told us how much it would hurt, and the winning side got away with telling them to bog off back to their spreadsheets. And it didn’t end there. Would a party that valued the ability to count have elected a bumbling Balliol Classicist who had to text his chief science adviser, as Johnson did mid-pandemic, to learn the difference between a ratio and a percentage? Would it have replaced him with Liz Truss?

Does the maths of small boats — 45,756 arrivals in 2022 — offer any justification for putting 500 people on a barge, or one day sending a couple of hundred more to Rwanda?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/its-ministers-who-have-the-anti-maths-mindset-7ldr5ht3s

Getting lectured in numeracy bu someone who thinks that 4% and 0.08% are the same is kind of galling.
    I do understand a bit of the impetus behind 'maths to 18', but (setting aside the chronic shortage of maths teachers), it's things like ratios, logic, statistics etc. that seem most relevant and helpful in everyday life (that and working our darts finishes). Strikes me maybe as an curriculum issue in the KS2/3/4 rather than 'do two more years of trig'.

In passing, I've no doubt that I learned more useful maths in my archaeology degree - a module on applied use of statistics - than I did in my GCSE maths.
    Archaeology, along with geography, is one of the few superpower degrees. If I have an opportunity to hire a grad in those subjects, I jump at it. Most are maths literate, critical thinkers with an ability to solve both practical & theoretical problems, work in teams, and string a sentence together.
    Good morning.
    Interesting post; thanks. Granddaughter Two is considering her options for uni and archaeology is high on the list. She’s 18 next year, so a decision about uni will have to be made shortly.
    For what it's worth, I would look to see how practically-focused the departments are (the more so, the better). A BSc rather than BA is a good sign, but plenty of BAs will also offer extensive field and lab work. I'd be wary of too much expositionary teaching 'e.g. Roman Britain 100-300 AD' and similarly too much focus on theory. Both have their place (and indeed you need a context for your practical work), but archaeology is a VAST subject and it's the undergrad ought to be more about the fundamentals before specialising at postgrad.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Interestingly,* it's not that long ago - 2019 in fact - that Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board became Swansea Bay University Health Board (Abertawe and Swansea being the same place - there was also a boundary change).

*or not...

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,394
    malcolmg said:

The Little Englander vibe is strong today, how dare another country name a place in their own language.
    It's a ludicrous idea. It's been the Brecon Beacons for since whenever and every same person bar the few locals will still call it the Brecon Beacons. Its like watching Rugby on S4c. Only the few listen to the commentary in Welsh. Unless you know the language it's pointless and I have no intention of bothering to learn it either.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

It's not so much England as English speakers - a coterie that can, with some generosity, be said to include even you.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Given that washing machines are way cheaper than HIMARS and NLAW, let alone tanks and air defences, should we be collecting enough of our old ones to bribe every single Russian officer?
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

mwadams said:

Ghedebrav said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

mwadams said:

Ghedebrav said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Good morning.
    Interesting post; thanks. Granddaughter Two is considering her options for uni and archaeology is high on the list. She’s 18 next year, so a decision about uni will have to be made shortly.
    For what it's worth, I would look to see how practically-focused the departments are (the more so, the better). A BSc rather than BA is a good sign, but plenty of BAs will also offer extensive field and lab work. I'd be wary of too much expositionary teaching 'e.g. Roman Britain 100-300 AD' and similarly too much focus on theory. Both have their place (and indeed you need a context for your practical work), but archaeology is a VAST subject and it's the undergrad ought to be more about the fundamentals before specialising at postgrad.
    Oh, and really look beyond the 'name value' of the university if she is looking to potentially build a career in archaeology. Places like Bradford and Lampeter have (or at least, had, I don't really know now) excellent departments that really taught the practice of archaeology better than many of the Russell Group.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Wales is predominately bilingual in its signs and government/local government literature and the sensible answer would be to continue with both signage

It should be noted only 29.7% in Wales are able to speak Welsh
  • Options
    This is a pretty good article on evolution.

Sleeping beauties: the evolutionary innovations that wait millions of years to come good
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/apr/18/evolution-biology-sleeping-beauties-innovations-that-wait-millions-of-years-to-come-good
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Torpenhow Hill, or “Hill Hill Hill Hill”

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/general-europe/hill-hill-hill-hill
    Several examples around here of at least twice named places and also two word places known by the generic, such as Thorpe.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Wales is predominately bilingual in its signs and government/local government literature and the sensible answer would be to continue with both signage

Is it not growing though? We visited friends in Cardiff last weekend and their little one will be learning Welsh when he starts school, even though neither parent speaks Welsh.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Given that washing machines are way cheaper than HIMARS and NLAW, should we be collecting enough of our old ones to bribe every single Russian officer?
    If the price of a Colonel is a £400 washing machine...

During the initial phase of the Afghan thing, the Americans parachuted advisors in, armed with duffel bags full of US 100 dollar bills....
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Given that washing machines are way cheaper than HIMARS and NLAW, should we be collecting enough of our old ones to bribe every single Russian officer?
    If the price of a Colonel is a £400 washing machine...

During the initial phase of the Afghan thing, the Americans parachuted advisors in, armed with duffel bags full of US 100 dollar bills....
    Ah, meet my friend Benjamin.

Still works well in huge parts of the world, it’s amazing how many troublesome border guards and customs officers wave you straight through once they’ve been introduced to him.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

malcolmg said:

Is it not growing though? We visited friends in Cardiff last weekend and their little one will be learning Welsh when he starts school, even though neither parent speaks Welsh.
    No it's not growing: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiVseDNj7P-AhXClFwKHQdMDrsQFnoECBkQAQ&url=https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/number-welsh-speakers-fell-over-25683515&usg=AOvVaw1mj4DPnnA-6oekI5J6ZR6j

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,273

He misunderstood the mission to get the Boche.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,267

Its like watching Rugby on S4c. Only the few listen to the commentary in Welsh. Unless you know the language it's pointless and I have no intention of bothering to learn it either.

I watched a couple of Scotland matches on BBC Alba. The commentary switches from Gaelic to English and back again during the game
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,211

Er, Wales is a country, and therefore ‘another’ country to England, unless you are one of the PB Loons who also deny Scotland is a country, because it is not a sovereign state?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Yes they do, but I don't think Bart need worry about that in this instance. If I was a party finetuner looking only to cynically maximise my vote share, I'd be headlining on 'no further development' on his estate - my view is that those on the edges of town - which tends to be the new build estates - tend to feel strongest about opposing the edge of town moving further out. So if the LDs aren't saying it to Bart, they probably aren't saying it to anyone in his town.
    I think that's right. I've been visiting a friend in a village in rural Oxfordshire and I'm struck by the number of euphemisms used by all candidates to appeal to NIMBYs without saying they're against more housing - "We need the right kind of development, not the kind they've proposed", "We want to keep our area rural", "I opposed the local plan because of its indiscriminate housing". My friend is normally LibDem but annoyed by the LibDem leaflet barchart, which as usual shows all parties wildly disproportionate to their actual votes - she's irritated that her preferred candidate is trying to deceive her. I've urged her to vote for someone else and tell the LibDems why - it's only if they actually lose votes by deception that they'll stop doing it.
  • Options
    The welsh language grew a lot during the 1970's, as I recall, but a bit quieter since then.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    kjh said:

@felix I don't want to fall out over our exchange. No offence was intended. Just robust discussion. If I offended my apologies. Wasn't intended.

Oh golly. Of course not. Obviously anecdotes are what they are. Mine are truthful - my point really is that living in Spain but watching Sky, BBC, etc the image is of a completely disfuncional country with the people in despair and everyone in food banks. To see M & S of all places clearly thriving gives another image. Likewise all the pricey coffee bars heaving. And this is in NE England! I have a thick skin and have been known to be quite rude occasionally 😅😀
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    KA - BOOM!

SNP treasurer arrested in party funding investigation
    Colin Beattie is in custody and being questioned by detectives, says Police Scotland

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/apr/18/man-71-arrested-in-connection-with-snp-funding-investigation-say-police

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Scott_xP said:

Its like watching Rugby on S4c. Only the few listen to the commentary in Welsh. Unless you know the language it's pointless and I have no intention of bothering to learn it either.

I watched a couple of Scotland matches on BBC Alba. The commentary switches from Gaelic to English and back again during the game
    Out here, there’s in Indian radio station that does commentary on the cricket matches, switching between English and Hindi every minute or two. I understand half of it, and the taxi driver usually understands the other half!
  • Options

eek said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Meanwhile,

I referred to meat prices. What meat is in Morrisons floor scraping sausages retailing at £3.16 a kilo?
  • Options

KA - BOOM!

Colin Beattie is in custody and being questioned by detectives, says Police Scotland

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/apr/18/man-71-arrested-in-connection-with-snp-funding-investigation-say-police

He's not just the Treasurer. He's an SNP constituency MSP.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

malcolmg said:

Welsh learning in schools in Wales has been compulsory for decades and all my children and grandchildren have been taught Welsh

However, of our children and grandchildren only my elder granddaughter (20) is fluent in Welsh, but she is also fluent in French, Italian and Japanese and is about to join a Milan law firm for a year from Leeds University as a translator
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,394
    edited April 2023
    Scott_xP said:

Afaicr it switches to English when there isn't an equivalent word in Welsh. Its a bit like lisstening to Pakistanis or Indians taking in their in language during a cricket match and suddenly googly or run out appear in the conversation...
  • Options

Er, Wales is a country, and therefore ‘another’ country to England, unless you are one of the PB Loons who also deny Scotland is a country, because it is not a sovereign state?
    Country is a vague definition. When I studied politics the terms "nation" and "state" were used for clarity. Wales is a nation, not a state. The United Kingdom is a state, not a nation.

Some states like ours (or Belgium as another example) are multi-national. Some nations exist across multiple states (like the Kurds or the Basque).

Most people think of country as being something sovereign. Like a state. Wales isn't sovereign (nor are any of the 4 home nations) so are not countries as people would think of that word's definition. Ask a nationalist? Sure, its a country. But it's not. Its a nation. Hence the word nationalist...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Meanwhile,

Have the sausages seen a pig though and WTF is a Denver steak
    I'd trust Morrisons on meat more than the other supermarkets.

Denver Steak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDp6Dtss2Hw

Tender, great taste and great value.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

carnforth said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Meanwhile,

Buy an air fryer

In fact we have two and have upgraded our microwave to a microwave oven and simply have stopped using the cooker

The savings are extraordinary, but you do need to adjust to the lower temperature and cooking times in air fryers but I always test the temperature of the food with a prick thermometer or in the case of a chicken an oven proof thermometer inserted into the leg

Interesting that food retailers are introducing air fryer cooking instructions on their labels and indeed M & S had such an instructions on a packet of Aberdeen Angus beef burgers

I expect Air Fryer instructions to become as common as microwave instructions on food labels
    Air fryers cost around 120 +. A halogen oven does a better or equal job for around 40. The power of marketing and the gullibility of consumers. I've had mine for around 15 years.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,126
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

I thought the classic example was “kangaroo “. Which, apparently, in the local language means, “I don’t know what you’re pointing at”.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

It's a ludicrous idea. It's been the Brecon Beacons for since whenever and every same person bar the few locals will still call it the Brecon Beacons. Its like watching Rugby on S4c. Only the few listen to the commentary in Welsh. Unless you know the language it's pointless and I have no intention of bothering to learn it either.
    There's a lot of "Welsh-speaking" folk who can barely understand BBC Welsh. I remember having a discussion with a Welsh farmer about this. He never watched it for that reason. Regarded it as the province of academics and, frankly, of folk making a living out of it.

It's nothing to do with Little Englanders. Welsh simply isn't a community language in most of the country and the resources being pumped into the language is controversial. Has to be handled with care and the last thing it needs is to become the subject of a campaign by the wokerati.
  • Options

KA - BOOM!

Lol, the law of diminishing kabooms.

Sky just saying the SNP treasurer has ben arrested.

Nigelb said:

Police arrest SNP treasurer in finance probe

carnforth said:

• Options

KA - BOOM!

Nigelb said:

carnforth said:

Awww, man. I thought I was special and unique. Darn it.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,661

If the local party is any good, they will tweak their messaging a bit, even at the crude "do different emphases in the council estate and owner occupied bits of the ward" level.

The microtargeting via social media is only new in degree, not in concept.
  • Options

KA - BOOM!

Nigelb said:

carnforth said:

Fair enough. I dip in and out and didn't see the previous posts. Even so the meltdown in the SNP is surely imperilling the polar icecaps.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,338
    Nigelb said:

I suspect the whole thing is just a publicity stunt. The judges knew it was AI, and knew if they gave it a prize people would be talking about these awards that otherwise don't get any attention.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Given that washing machines are way cheaper than HIMARS and NLAW, let alone tanks and air defences, should we be collecting enough of our old ones to bribe every single Russian officer?
    Which illustrates rather nicely why cutting the foreign aid budget may have been a false economy.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,093
    felix said:

carnforth said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Meanwhile,

Buy an air fryer

Air fryers cost around 120 +. A halogen oven does a better or equal job for around 40. The power of marketing and the gullibility of consumers. I've had mine for around 15 years.
    Air Fryers start at £60 and probably less.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Nigelb said:

I suspect the whole thing is just a publicity stunt. The judges knew it was AI, and knew if they gave it a prize people would be talking about these awards that otherwise don't get any attention.
    That was my initial cynical assumption.

My second cynical assumption was that one of the AI firms paid them off to do it, but that's probably a consipiracy theory too far...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,126
    Ghedebrav said:

mwadams said:

Ghedebrav said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

mwadams said:

Ghedebrav said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Good morning.
    Granddaughter Two is in Thailand, so she’s not restricted to British universities. Take the point about a BSC though. Originally wanted to specialise in marine archaeology, but her father says she’s going off that now a bit.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190

KA - BOOM!

Nigelb said:

carnforth said:

That's just down to the law of the diminishing SNP.

Was a time it would have been surprising.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The BBC Alba rerun of Ken Burns' Country Music is great, Gaelic commentary interspersed with sub titles and the original music and interviews.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190
    Would the arrest of Nicola Sturgeon warrant a KA-BOOOOM!!!!! with five exclamation marks?
  • Options

Would the arrest of Nicola Sturgeon warrant a KA-BOOOOM!!!!! with five exclamation marks?

What if there turn out to be no charges? Is the SNP less screwed, or is this an electoral sea-change either way?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited April 2023
    This SNP business I find a bit surreal. Whatever her other failings, Nicola Sturgeon appeared to me as some sort of model of schoolmarmy responsibility, like the headmistress of a small but heroic school in the Western Isles.
This discussion has been closed.