Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

David Davis slams the voter ID requirement – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,169
    In regards to the Don't Knows.... wouldn't a reasonable number of them be low-information voters disillusioned with politics and who probably didn't vote prior to the Brexit referendum? If so, I think there's a strong likelihood they won't show up at the next election.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,089
    edited April 2023
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

At one time, the government in England legally went into remission between the death of a sovereign and the coronation of his (usually) successor. There would be a council empowered to carry out the necessary day to day business of government. On those occasions the heir was significantly under age and would not be crowned for some time (e.g. 1422 or 1547) Protectors were empowered to act on behalf of the council, but not to the extent of being King in all but name. The whole thing was a process, starting with the Accession Council and finishing fairly soon after with the Coronation. It also gave a little time to gather all the key nobles and clerics so they would swear loyalty to the king and make it all nice, neat and official. This was doubly important because until The Act of Settlement there was no clearly defined mechanism for succeeding to the throne, which frequently caused a great deal of trouble. Both Henry VIII and Edward III willed the crown away, for example, although in Edward's case it was in a logical fashion following male line primogeniture.

I'm not quite sure when that ended, but since the seventeenth century at least the tradition has been the monarch takes charge at the moment of the death of the previous monarch, and acts as their own regent. I'm also not quite sure whether legally there now has to be a coronation for a King to be properly counted as king. That may have been ditched because of Edward V - given Henry VII's urgent need to underline Richard III's position as a usurper - but certainly nobody seemed to doubt Edward VIII was King even though he was never crowned.

Therefore, you do have to wonder a bit whether the televised Accession Council itself wasn't more than sufficient and the Coronation rather pointless.

From what I gather, and despite some words from people organising the coronation, there is no formal requirement whatsoever, since it is the case now that the formal reign began the moment he was proclaimed (if not instantly upon the death of Her Majesty).

Now we are a long way removed from any possible contesting of who might be monarch, and they are not going to be uncontactable for long periods (ie off slaughtering people in the holy land when the old king pops it), then there's no need for any formal delay I guess.

The Coronation is therefore just the Accession Council but with a bit more flair and mysticism.
    So basically all that was needed was for that herald chappie to make his announcement from the Mercat Cross in Edinburgh (edit: and wherever else they did it) and the rest is a waste of time, space and money - not to mention economic damage comparable to a non-trivial strike.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

@Topping et al, being a racehorse is one of the best lives an animal can have. They are absolutely cosseted.

In general, domesticated animals enjoy much better lives than wild animals, which is why it’s so easy to domesticate them.

Factory hens raise their weakened, lice ridden, shit burned wings and say "Hi".
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited April 2023
    A bit off topic, but searching for interesting comparisons between Sunak and Callaghan's sunny manner in public, this I think quite good summary came up, of what I've always agreed was an underrated PM :

<<Against some pretty stiff competition, Callaghan’s election postponement must rank high on any list of the greatest missed political opportunities of all time.

Putting these disasters to one side, however (if that’s possible), Callaghan’s premiership was up until late 1978, pretty successful. He inherited a dire economic situation from Harold Wilson and was thrown into the IMF Crisis of 1976 almost immediately afterwards. But he and his Chancellor, Denis Healey thereafter handled the economy pretty well. The economy was recovering and unemployment was falling when Labour left office.

In an incredibly fractious situation, he also did very well to manage rising tensions within his own party and cabinet. Despite clashes between Right and Left and the sometimes mischievous activities of Tony Benn, there were, almost uniquely, no major cabinet resignations during his premiership.

Finally, Callaghan was consistently popular and always preferred by most to his sometimes shrill younger opponent, Margaret Thatcher. It is little wonder he came so close to re-election in the autumn of 1978.>>
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,279
    The coronation is not the moment he becomes King (that already happened) but it is the moment they stick the Crown on him.

The clue is in the name...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Mr. B, sorry for the slow reply, but Egypt being Rome's granary is both true and partially true. Africa (which then essentially meant Carthage/modern day Tunisia) was also critical. When the empire split, Carthage supplied Rome, Egypt supplied Constantinople.

Mr. Doethur, I think Edward I was the first man to become king (post-Conquest, anyway) without coronation first. He was on war in the Holy Land, and immediately acknowledged by everyone as king, so his reign began before he knew it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

At one time, the government in England legally went into remission between the death of a sovereign and the coronation of his (usually) successor. There would be a council empowered to carry out the necessary day to day business of government. On those occasions the heir was significantly under age and would not be crowned for some time (e.g. 1422 or 1547) Protectors were empowered to act on behalf of the council, but not to the extent of being King in all but name. The whole thing was a process, starting with the Accession Council and finishing fairly soon after with the Coronation. It also gave a little time to gather all the key nobles and clerics so they would swear loyalty to the king and make it all nice, neat and official. This was doubly important because until The Act of Settlement there was no clearly defined mechanism for succeeding to the throne, which frequently caused a great deal of trouble. Both Henry VIII and Edward III willed the crown away, for example, although in Edward's case it was in a logical fashion following male line primogeniture.

I'm not quite sure when that ended, but since the seventeenth century at least the tradition has been the monarch takes charge at the moment of the death of the previous monarch, and acts as their own regent. I'm also not quite sure whether legally there now has to be a coronation for a King to be properly counted as king. That may have been ditched because of Edward V - given Henry VII's urgent need to underline Richard III's position as a usurper - but certainly nobody seemed to doubt Edward VIII was King even though he was never crowned.

Therefore, you do have to wonder a bit whether the televised Accession Council itself wasn't more than sufficient and the Coronation rather pointless.

From what I gather, and despite some words from people organising the coronation, there is no formal requirement whatsoever, since it is the case now that the formal reign began the moment he was proclaimed (if not instantly upon the death of Her Majesty).

Now we are a long way removed from any possible contesting of who might be monarch, and they are not going to be uncontactable for long periods (ie off slaughtering people in the holy land when the old king pops it), then there's no need for any formal delay I guess.

The Coronation is therefore just the Accession Council but with a bit more flair and mysticism.
    So basically all that was needed was for that herald chappie to make his announcement from the Mercat Cross in Edinburgh (edit: and wherever else they did it) and the rest is a waste of time, space and money - not to mention economic damage comparable to a non-trivial strike.
    Basically.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,548

Mr. B, sorry for the slow reply, but Egypt being Rome's granary is both true and partially true. Africa (which then essentially meant Carthage/modern day Tunisia) was also critical. When the empire split, Carthage supplied Rome, Egypt supplied Constantinople.

Mr. Doethur, I think Edward I was the first man to become king (post-Conquest, anyway) without coronation first. He was on war in the Holy Land, and immediately acknowledged by everyone as king, so his reign began before he knew it.

Sounds about right. Compare and contrast with William, who spent some weeks even after Hastings sacking every town in southern England before finally being crowned on Christmas Day, or Stephen, whose succession was contested by both his brother and his cousin and for whom therefore coronation was vital in pushing his own claims ahead of them.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

I will vote for whichever party will fix Vanilla

Rather than the Vanilla Party, who's main policy is just to make things bland and dull.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,386

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

If you are a Don’t Know or Not Sure now, then you are likely to be Tory-leaning. Clearly, some of those are now returning home and that is also very clearly down to Sunak. But the real challenge the Tories have is winning back that part of their 2019 vote that has already jumped to Labour. As yet, there is no indication this is happening in any meaningful way. If it doesn’t, Labour takes power - possibly with a small overall majority if Scotland is seriously in play, but more likely as a minority government.

If that is the case, does Sunak resign as Tory leader or stay on? Will he be able to? Has the Truss/Johnson tendency in the Conservative party been beaten or is it just biding its time?

Taking the figures that are in the article, even Conservative + Don't Know gives 34%. The Labour figure isn't reported, but given that percentages have to add up to 100, I think we can assume that it's more than 34.

And thinking of posters here, the long-term Conservative members/activists who wobbled over late BoJo and Truss are back on board,but I'm not seeing any shift amongst those who decided "time for a change" earlier than that. If anything, there's a hardening of sentiment there.
    I may be misremembering, but I think in the latest Ipsos-Mori poll, something like 65% said the next election would be a change one. In a similar vein, over 50% of respondents in the R&W poll regularly state that a general election should be called now. Those are indicators that look very bad for the Tories.

It’s worth remembering that even in 1997 the Tory press was running stories that Don’t Knows could decide the outcome.

You need to give your supporters hope. Sunak has undoubtedly given some to his party. Right now, though, I just don’t see a different election outcome to the one I’ve been predicting for a couple of years: a Labour minority government. If anything, Scotland coming into play tilts things further towards a small Labour majority.

Yup. And had you offered that to Labour on New Year's Day 2020, I suspect they would have bitten your arm off. Or whatever the vegan woke equivalent of that is.

A deer's hoof.
    Woke, perhaps, but hardly vegan.
    I thought we had been assured by A Correspondent that venison was the Woke Vegan approved meat?
    Well, @Dura_Ace is in a better position to judge whether a particular meat is vegan or not. But AIUI the whole idea of veganism is you don't eat any animal products.
    The question is settled.

It's quite tragic that you seem to have nothing better to do than search and quote my old posts (which I have no clue how to do) and troll old ladies on the parish council.
    If he used his time more wisely he could attain a totally non-tragic 50k+ posts on here.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, I always think of Henry I, whose older brother very sadly and accidentally died during a hunting accident, necessitating Henry to immediately have a coronation ahead of his other older brother (Duke of Normandy Robert Curthose).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Basically.
    Would have been easy to merge the two. Charles in the Lords or the Abbey in the presence of the Privy Council including the High Commissioners of the Commonwealth Realms, taking the oath and signing the orders, everyone acclaiming him as a sign of loyalty, finishing with him being presented with the crown by the Archbishop, whether he chooses to wear it or not.

Easy.

But not done. Because I think Charles is a traditionalist and wants to have all the things his mother and grandfather had.

I wonder if William will see it differently.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The coronation is not the moment he becomes King (that already happened) but it is the moment they stick the Crown on him.

They also give him a Corona beer and a coronavirus. Possibly.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I'll drop it on his swede for 10 grand and a weekend in Buckingham Palace. No need for fancy robes and half the armed forces trudging around London.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,883
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Coronation row over hundreds of peers forbidden from wearing robes
    the decision was made by the King on advice from the Government

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/04/14/coronets-robes-peers-aristocracy-banned-king-coronation/ (£££)

The plight of dukes unable to wear the coronation robes their families have stored for generations and not worn since 1953 might not make the next Labour campaign poster but does call into question what the coronation is for, if not for OTT pageantry. After all, Charles is already King.

'Forbidden' on the advice of the government.
    Tory freedoms. 😊
    Conservatives do seem to retain a weird hankering after sumptuary laws.

"The Memphis Police Department is introducing an eight-officer unit that will arrest unaccompanied minors that sell food, play loud music, are 'inappropriately dressed' or dancing in the street in Downtown Memphis" ..
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ldtestino/status/1647010575166087169
    You do realise memphis voted 64% democrat in 2020? Not sure you can blame this on republicans therefore
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Mr. Doethur, I always think of Henry I, whose older brother very sadly and accidentally died during a hunting accident, necessitating Henry to immediately have a coronation ahead of his other older brother (Duke of Normandy Robert Curthose).

His seizing of the royal treasury beforehand I am sure in no way helped make his case about how necessary it was.

Edit: I like Henry I though, seems to have had a real head on his shoulders - look at this creativity from wikipedia. I think he was meant to be quite literate for the time as well.

Henry argued that, unlike Robert, he had been born to a reigning king and queen, thereby giving him a claim under the right of porphyrogeniture
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Basically.
    Would have been easy to merge the two. Charles in the Lords or the Abbey in the presence of the Privy Council including the High Commissioners of the Commonwealth Realms, taking the oath and signing the orders, everyone acclaiming him as a sign of loyalty, finishing with him being presented with the crown by the Archbishop, whether he chooses to wear it or not.

Easy.

But not done. Because I think Charles is a traditionalist and wants to have all the things his mother and grandfather had.

I think they need an excuse to keep a now increasing percentage of the armed forces on horseback or in Hawks painted red.

Which makes me wonder. Are we getting a Coronation Review of the Fleet? My dad was [edit} in his best No 1 uniform manning ship at the last one, and I found the official programme in his papers after he died recently. It was quite something. Nowadays ...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

His seizing of the royal treasury beforehand I am sure in no way helped make his case about how necessary it was.
    Robert also did have a few other disadvantages:

1) He had gone on Crusade, so was absent;
    2) He had mortgaged the Duchy of Normandy to the Kingdom of England to pay for it;
    3) He was known to be as mad as a box of frogs, which is why William I had passed him over for William Rufus to start with.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

2) He had mortgaged the Duchy of Normandy to the Kingdom of England to pay for it;
    3) He was known to be as mad as a box of frogs, which is why William I had passed him over for William Rufus to start with.
    Wasn't he in rebellion against his father shortly before he died, which presumably did not help? Not that being in rebellion againast one's father or sibling always ended up ruling people out, as certain Angevins could tell us.

Having been skipped over once it's not much of a stretch to do so again. Says something about the different situation for Edward I that being on the spot was not in any way necessary, since it could be critical at other periods.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Basically.

Easy.

I think they need an excuse to keep a now increasing percentage of the armed forces on horseback or in Hawks painted red.

Which makes me wonder. Are we getting a Coronation Review of the Fleet? My dad was at the last one, and I found the official programme in his papers after he died recently. It was quite something. Nowadays ...
    If the figures I have seen are correct, which they may not be, in 1953 the Royal Navy was still the world's second largest navy. Now, however, such a review might be embarrassing and in taking what few ships they have away from where they are needed, actually counter-productive.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, yeah, and he seems to have genuinely liked the Anglo-Saxon culture.

If the White Ship Disaster hadn't happened, things would've been very different.
  • Options
    BoardwalkBoardwalk Posts: 14
    Peyer Cardwell on talttv now saying we are being lied to and Ukraine is losing the war. And this from Tucker Carlson

Tucker Carlson: "The second thing we learned from these slides is that despite direct U.S. involvement, Ukraine is losing the war. Seven Ukrainians are being killed for every Russian. Ukrainian air defenses have been utterly degraded. Ukraine is losing"

https://twitter.com/Sinnaig/status/1646959620538220544?s=20
  • Options
    Tucker Carlson declares the United States is at direct war with Russia according to the recently leaked Pentagon documents. “As we speak, American soldiers are fighting Russian soldiers... This is a hot war between the two primary nuclear superpowers on Earth… This is a crime

https://twitter.com/Spriter99880/status/1646979100056387584?s=20

• Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Wasn't he in rebellion against his father shortly before he died, which presumably did not help? Not that being in rebellion againast one's father or sibling always ended up ruling people out, as certain Angevins could tell us.

Having been skipped over once it's not much of a stretch to do so again. Says something about the different situation for Edward I that being on the spot was not in any way necessary, since it could be critical at other periods.
    People respected Edward I. He was a proven war leader and a much abler administrator than his father. Moreover, the one person who might have been seen as an alternative, his brother Edmund, was partially disabled which in those times ruled him out even if he doesn't seem to have been both devoted to and rather in awe of his brother.
  • Options
    Boardwalk said:

Peyer Cardwell on talttv now saying we are being lied to and Ukraine is losing the war. And this from Tucker Carlson

Tucker Carlson: "The second thing we learned from these slides is that despite direct U.S. involvement, Ukraine is losing the war. Seven Ukrainians are being killed for every Russian. Ukrainian air defenses have been utterly degraded. Ukraine is losing"

Alright, Vladimir?
  • Options
    Reuters: Ukrainian troops are forced to cede area after area in Bakhmut in the face of a renewed Russian offensive. Britain said on Friday that Russian troops and Wagner PMCs are improving cooperation. The capture of the city will be a major achievement for Moscow.

https://twitter.com/Spriter99880/status/1646938500015464466?s=20
  • Options

Boardwalk said:

Alright, Vladimir?
    I was just thinking the vodka supplies have been broken out slightly earlier than usual. Normally we seem to get them about noon on Saturdays.
  • Options
    Demos now being organised against the ukraine war.

week tomorrow. The first UK full public demonstration against our involvement in Ukraine. Everyday more and more comes out about the criminal Zelensky regime. We need to say http://notourwar.co

https://twitter.com/UnityNewsNet/status/1646970027063537664?s=20
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Basically.

Easy.

Which makes me wonder. Are we getting a Coronation Review of the Fleet? My dad was at the last one, and I found the official programme in his papers after he died recently. It was quite something. Nowadays ...
    If the figures I have seen are correct, which they may not be, in 1953 the Royal Navy was still the world's second largest navy. Now, however, such a review might be embarrassing and in taking what few ships they have away from where they are needed, actually counter-productive.
    It was, pretty much, though one needs to allow for how muich was mothballed and swinging round a buoy near Portchester Castle or off Faslane. As well, as you say, as those on duty elsewhere. Wiki says "Present were 197 Royal Navy warships, together with 13 from the Commonwealth and 16 from foreign navies, as well as representative vessels from the British Merchant Navy and Fishing Fleets." Those would have included proper battleship and aircraft carriers downwards to motor torpedo boats. And some yachts, rather oddly - tyhough logically enough if from the RYS at Cowes.

http://cloudobservers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2013/05/07.-Jul-Spithead-Review-1953.pdf
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787

Bradford Council has sent out an email reminding voters that ID is required. It advises that it will take longer at the polling station while everyone has their documents checked. Probably not a big deal for low turnout local elections, but potentially long queues next year at the GE.

They have also included a photo of a dog at a polling station, which is nice.

Did the dog have ID? Did it express a view on FPTP vs AV?
    I think it was the Chief Whippet.
  • Options
    Ukrainian soldier near Bakhmut says people are sent here without firing a single shot in training. They don’t even know how to reload a magazine. Guy next to him has 5 children but was still conscripted. He says Ukrainians are just cannon fodder in a war of foreign countries.

https://twitter.com/narrative_hole/status/1646808935083520003?s=20
  • Options
    Boardwalk said:

Tucker Carlson declares the United States is at direct war with Russia according to the recently leaked Pentagon documents. “As we speak, American soldiers are fighting Russian soldiers... This is a hot war between the two primary nuclear superpowers on Earth… This is a crime

Those 20-40 US troops on the ground are certainly very busy comrade.

He's not even hiding the outcomes he wants now, which would be less worrying if he was not delivering what his audience wants.
  • Options
    TOTAL breakdown of order and discipline in Ukrainian military ranks. The NATO proxy war is a bloody mess. No one wants to die for a meaningless technocratic scam. So soldiers retreat against orders, or flee. The war is coming to its logical conclusion.

https://twitter.com/RealPepeEscobar/status/1646474286356475907?s=20
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    Boardwalk said:

Tucker Carlson is lying. See this thread which links to the actual documents that he claims to be basing it on.

https://twitter.com/ErrataRob/status/1646963331415121920?t=oZRGppbGSpzjlsdhcS0Tig&s=19
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

People respected Edward I. He was a proven war leader and a much abler administrator than his father. Moreover, the one person who might have been seen as an alternative, his brother Edmund, was partially disabled which in those times ruled him out even if he doesn't seem to have been both devoted to and rather in awe of his brother.
    Brothers could be a right pain in that period (Edward IV, Richard III and the Duke of Clarence spring to mind), but if consistently loyal could be real assets. David Miliband could probably relate.
  • Options
    Vlad is doing well, 6 posts without being hammered.
  • Options

Boardwalk said:

Tucker Carlson is lying. See this thread which links to the actual documents that he claims to be basing it on.

https://twitter.com/ErrataRob/status/1646963331415121920?t=oZRGppbGSpzjlsdhcS0Tig&s=19
    Doesnt matter lots of americans believe him and want the war to end
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,094

To be honest - I've said hello and I'm then just ignoring his rambling... It may be true, it may not be but it's got nothing to do with today's conversations.
  • Options
    Bakhmut is a meat grinder for those poor ukrainians. All good people want the war to end.
  • Options

You don't know he isn't hammered.
  • Options
    DialupDialup Posts: 561
    On horse racing, how do we know the horses enjoy it? They don’t speak English.
  • Options
    The weird thing about the 'total breakdown in Ukrainian ranks' type attempts is if it were even close to true then NATO money flowing in would not be making a difference to hold back the mighty avenging army of Vladimir's justice or whatever. So what has made 'progress' be so slow?

Whilst there's been plenty of over optimism about a collapse of Russian operational capability, I think results on the ground would show if it was happening on the other side!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,220
    The latest from Keir:

"34 years since the Hillsborough disaster, I'm thinking of those for whom the pain is still so raw and for whom injustice remains.

My Labour government will create a Hillsborough Law. Victims of major tragedies must get the same legal support as the authorities which failed them."

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1647163872149909506

The comments below are not wholly supportive...
  • Options
    eek said:

To be honest - I've said hello and I'm then just ignoring his rambling... It may be true, it may not be but it's got nothing to do with today's conversations.
    Thats because you have no arguments. You know ukraine is losing. What happened to the spring offensive.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Dialup said:

A reasonable question which I was asked once by a Year 9 group. My answer was that although we can't know, it's interesting and possibly suggestive that even horses who have unseated their jockeys will often carry on running and even jumping the fences. Whether that's enjoyment, herd mentality or something else is another question.
  • Options
    Is there any way to mute the pro Putin spam? I'm only here on the off chance that the SNP implode this afternoon.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Boardwalk said:

Bakhmut is a meat grinder for those poor ukrainians. All good people want the war to end.

They sure do - you are aware that one side is attacking and the other defending? So the attacker could, now bare with me on this, stop attacking.

Needs new material, the 'I am just so worried about Ukrainian lives so they should just surrender and be oppressed' stuff was old a year ago.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Fucker Carlson, like Peter Hitchens, is an apologist for evil.
  • Options
    Ukrainian warriors are indignant - continuing to cling to Bakhmut, the Armed Forces of Ukraine are losing the best, most fired units and reserves accumulated with difficulty

https://twitter.com/Spriter99880/status/1646259454252400644?s=20
  • Options
    Boardwalk said:

eek said:

Thats because you have no arguments. You know ukraine is losing. What happened to the spring offensive.
    But how do you know? What makes your news sources better than my news sources?
  • Options
    Anyway it seems like talk tv moving to the anti war camp too
  • Options
    Boardwalk said:

Ukrainian warriors are indignant - continuing to cling to Bakhmut, the Armed Forces of Ukraine are losing the best, most fired units and reserves accumulated with difficulty

WTAF is a 'most fired' unit?
  • Options
    Boardwalk said:

eek said:

You are aware it is still spring now?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Psyops is getting more sophisticated each day.

Somewhere else, obviously.
  • Options

The latest from Keir:

"34 years since the Hillsborough disaster, I'm thinking of those for whom the pain is still so raw and for whom injustice remains.

My Labour government will create a Hillsborough Law. Victims of major tragedies must get the same legal support as the authorities which failed them."

The none supportive comments seem to be about The Sun newspaper which is sort of unavoidable - key audience for politicians outside of Liverpool polonium levels of toxicity in Liverpool..
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Fucker Carlson, like Peter Hitchens, is an apologist for evil.

Hes a good man who cares about the usa
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Boardwalk said:

eek said:

Looking at the calendar, doesn’t spring end about mid June technically?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Boardwalk said:

It's where Vlad is going if he doesn't get his 30 posts out before he's banned.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Boardwalk said:

The ones Alan Sugar paid a visit to?
  • Options
    We were getting a much better class of troll than this. Is the world's second-smallest dicked leader even running out of manpower for his troll farms?
  • Options
    Boardwalk said:

Thanks for that information, it will help me avoid it. Assuming you mean anti-war in the Stop the War Coalition sense of being in favour of war waged by non USA aligned imperialists.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Boardwalk said:

They sure do - you are aware that one side is attacking and the other defending? So the attacker could, now bare with me on this, stop attacking.

Needs new material, the 'I am just so worried about Ukrainian lives so they should just surrender and be oppressed' stuff was old a year ago.
    Ok ill have a polite word with putin and tell him to stop...pathetic
  • Options
    Boardwalk said:

kle4 said:

Boardwalk said:

Make sure he's sober first. Otherwise he probably won't listen.

I realize he isn't sober often, particularly given the pressure he's under due to Russia's collapsing economy and imploding military. But if you catch him about 8.30am there's a chance in a thousand.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,217
    Dialup said:

They are neighsayers.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Boardwalk said:

Thanks for that information, it will help me avoid it. Assuming you mean anti-war in the Stop the War Coalition sense of being in favour of war waged by non USA aligned imperialists.
    We are being driven towards ww3.
  • Options
    .....and he's gone.
  • Options
    Boardwalk said:

kle4 said:

Boardwalk said:

Well, tell Putin to hand over the wheel.

Admittedly, it's hard to see whom he could hand it over to that wouldn't be worse in the current cabal of drunken failed small man syndrome sufferers.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Boardwalk said:

kle4 said:

Boardwalk said:

If you could feed that back- that would be helpful. Not sure what standard reporting protocol is for you nowadays
  • Options

.....and he's gone.

His comment about driving accelerated the process?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,386

The latest from Keir:

He made a front page.

• Options
    Boardwalk said:

kle4 said:

Boardwalk said:

Correct, it is - yet you claim you want the war to end, but are against the Ukrainians defending themselves, so your own words admit that you either want to ask Putin to stop, or you want him to win.

None of that is a surprise, but intellectually these efforts are so lazy.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

.....and he's gone.

He was disPutin our opinions.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

.....and he's gone.

So he had to get his gear together.
  • Options
    One of the worst efforts for awhile - no build up, transparently phony 'peace' messages, a belief Tucker Carlson is some kind of reputable sage, and too swift descent into lame sarcasm when the absurdity of the pro-russia position is pointed out.

2 out of 5.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

.....and he's gone.

So he had to get his gear together.
    He's driven the mods over the edge.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814
    Gadfly said:

Just watching this history of England lecture series.

Grim.

Can you please provide a link?
    Sure.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/offers?benefitId=thegreatcourses
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,925
    Boardwalk said:

kle4 said:

Boardwalk said:

Not what three words again please. Can't we do aliens instead?
  • Options
    Possibly the most short-sighted article I've read in the Guardian recently. Drill and Gangsta rap music are great because they provide catharsis.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/15/rap-drill-music-life-violence-youtube-ancient-athens-catharsis-music-teenagers
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

@Topping et al, being a racehorse is one of the best lives an animal can have. They are absolutely cosseted.

In general, domesticated animals enjoy much better lives than wild animals, which is why it’s so easy to domesticate them.

And, death rates are much lower for domestication. Wild horses suffer far more fatalities from bad jumps and broken bones in herds.
  • Options

Boardwalk said:

kle4 said:

Boardwalk said:

@Leon appears to have given up his desire for 'doing' aliens now AI does porn.
  • Options
    Given that this is the anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic (111 years ago today) worth posting this about what the RMS Carpathia did to get there (albeit not quickly enough). https://www.tumblr.com/mylordshesacactus/190414833023/please-make-a-post-about-the-story-of-the-rms
  • Options

Boardwalk said:

kle4 said:

Boardwalk said:

Being driven towards aliens will take some time.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,925
    ydoethur said:

Boardwalk said:

kle4 said:

Boardwalk said:

@Leon appears to have given up his desire for 'doing' aliens now AI does porn.
    You should see some of the step mums from Zog....
  • Options

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Any grand national tips?

I fear the eco terrorists may win today.

I believe they might. As for horses much better to watch the race without a bet so you aren't willing horses to do badly.

If you want to satisfy your betting urge you can get 22s about Boris being Cons leader at the next election.
    My horses for National

Corach Rambler
    Delta Work
    Gallard Du Mesnil

Good Luck to everyone having a Flutter
    With respect malc, I hope people bet their house, life savings, kids inheritance and the shirts on their backs but lose the lot in some bizarre loophole caused by cancellation of the race due to animal rights protests. A niche aspiration, I grant you. If it has to be run, let's hope it's the jockeys who get hurt, and the horses have a bit of a shake, trot off and have a nibble on some grass.
    How are you planning to dispose of the tens of thousands of racehorses once you've ended racing.
    I dunno, some sort of tax on all gambling, maybe? Send them all to nice sanctuaries. Get all the wealthy owners to pay for their upkeep? The government like to fund scrappage schemes, maybe a bit of that? Maybe go really radical, and any horse that gets hurt at a race, the owner and jockey get dragged behind the vetinary screen and bolt gunned (I know it's lethal injection, but a bolt gun adds a bit of theatre) It's a tough one isn't it? No easy answers, and I know no one on here wants a horse to die, and that you are far more knowledgeable than most (including me) on horse racing, but the average punter probably never thinks about what happens behind that vet screen but they probably should.
    You sound quite angry, as well as deranged.

Maybe eat some more kale and do some more mediation?

Chill out, man.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,396
    edited April 2023

The latest from Keir:

Its a bit presumptuous methinks... My Labour Government......
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,396
    edited April 2023

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Any grand national tips?

I believe they might. As for horses much better to watch the race without a bet so you aren't willing horses to do badly.

If you want to satisfy your betting urge you can get 22s about Boris being Cons leader at the next election.
    My horses for National

Corach Rambler
    Delta Work
    Gallard Du Mesnil

With respect malc, I hope people bet their house, life savings, kids inheritance and the shirts on their backs but lose the lot in some bizarre loophole caused by cancellation of the race due to animal rights protests. A niche aspiration, I grant you. If it has to be run, let's hope it's the jockeys who get hurt, and the horses have a bit of a shake, trot off and have a nibble on some grass.
    How are you planning to dispose of the tens of thousands of racehorses once you've ended racing.
    I dunno, some sort of tax on all gambling, maybe? Send them all to nice sanctuaries. Get all the wealthy owners to pay for their upkeep? The government like to fund scrappage schemes, maybe a bit of that? Maybe go really radical, and any horse that gets hurt at a race, the owner and jockey get dragged behind the vetinary screen and bolt gunned (I know it's lethal injection, but a bolt gun adds a bit of theatre) It's a tough one isn't it? No easy answers, and I know no one on here wants a horse to die, and that you are far more knowledgeable than most (including me) on horse racing, but the average punter probably never thinks about what happens behind that vet screen but they probably should.

Chill out, man.
    The clue is in the first part of his online persona....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

We were getting a much better class of troll than this. Is the world's second-smallest dicked leader even running out of manpower for his troll farms?

The problem is we seem to be getting a new Troll every week - I much prefer it where they have 2 or 3 attempts so they realise how the site works and what they should post.

Heck one of our beloved posters @malcolmg failed in their first 6 attempts and was only successful in her 7th iteration.

• Options

The latest from Keir:

He made a front page.

It does show how deranged the cult like behaviour of Liverpudlians are that they have to asterik The Sun.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

And, death rates are much lower for domestication. Wild horses suffer far more fatalities from bad jumps and broken bones in herds.
    Let's not degenerate into our usual petty squabble, but...
    Deaths out in the wild are natural. I'd far rather an animal died doing animal things, living a free life. A cosseted life as a race horse doesn't mitigate racing it to its death for human enjoyment . If domestication is better for animal welfare, do we domesticate every wild animal, then?
  • Options
    Utterly offtopic but following Broadwalk's topic the Telegraph has a great article today about the US making 155mm shells

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/04/15/us-arms-factory-pennsylvania-churning-out-shells-ukraine/
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,084
    eek said:

Boardwalk said:

Greetings to this week's Russian spammer.

For reference in future weeks start it's best to start by replying to a few other comments instead of talking about Ukraine when we are talking about other things - the year's big (but pointless for betting) horse race and random bits of ancient history.
    We have lost interest in the SMO though. This time last year was all breathless analysis of truck tyres and furious googling of desant tactics. Now it's just sporadic and half-hearted C&P of Ukrainian psyop tweets.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,589
    edited April 2023

Boardwalk said:

eek said:

Looking at the calendar, doesn’t spring end about mid June technically?
    The season that matters in Ukraine is mud season and that isn't over yet. There were some recent videos of British AS90s in the mud.

Ukraine will launch their counteroffensive when they're ready.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Deaths out in the wild are natural. I'd far rather an animal died doing animal things, living a free life. A cosseted life as a race horse doesn't mitigate racing it to its death for human enjoyment . If domestication is better for animal welfare, do we domesticate every wild animal, then?
    They are doing animal things, do live a wonderful life and the vast vast majority come home safe and have happy retirements.

Like all animal rights activists, you both struggle to express yourself and are a bit of a misanthrope who struggles to empathise with your fellow man.

Thus, you project your repressed emotions onto animals and both anthropomorphise them and idealise them.

That's all it is.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Any grand national tips?

My horses for National

Corach Rambler
    Delta Work
    Gallard Du Mesnil

Chill out, man.
    Give over, man. Haven't you got some blood to wade through?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

Boardwalk said:

For reference in future weeks start it's best to start by replying to a few other comments instead of talking about Ukraine when we are talking about other things - the year's big (but pointless for betting) horse race and random bits of ancient history.
    We have lost interest in the SMO though. This time last year was all breathless analysis of truck tyres and furious googling of desant tactics. Now it's just sporadic and half-hearted C&P of Ukrainian psyop tweets.
    At the moment there isn't much happening. The Russians clearly can't advance and the Ukrainians haven't, maybe because they can't, maybe because they're waiting on something (or both). The war therefore is less interesting in a news sense.

If the Ukrainians and the Russians are both stuck, we have a stalemate. We don't know where that would lead - whether a negotiated peace could be managed (seems unlikely, bluntly) that would allow the lifting of sanctions, or whether sanctions will persist and eventually Russia will suffer enough to offer meaningful concessions. Or, indeed, whether changes of government in the West might weaken support for Ukraine and allow Russia to consolidate their hold on the east bank.

There isn't really a lot to say until we have more data.
  • Options

The latest from Keir:

He made a front page.

It does show how deranged the cult like behaviour of Liverpudlians are that they have to asterik The Sun.
    Afraid I have to agree. That's just plain silly.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

They are doing animal things, do live a wonderful life and the vast vast majority come home safe and have happy retirements.

Like all animal rights activists, you both struggle to express yourself and are a bit of a misanthrope who struggles to empathise with your fellow man.

Thus, you project your repressed emotions onto animals and both anthropomorphise them and idealise them.

That's all it is.
    But you're the one going buckwild every post on here....
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

Boardwalk said:

Well of course people have, no one can sustain that level of interest and outrage permanently, it doesn't mean anything. Do you think those who were breathless and furious as you put it should have been expected to still be so after more than a year? That'd be absurd.

I've actually been astonished that political leaders have sustained support as much and as long as they have, given the grinding nature of the warfare, and for the most part the public support has remained in place.

So the 'lost interest' point is partly true, but I'd argue the level of interest lost is far less than might have been expected, especially after the lack of dramatic occurrences for at least 6 months.
This discussion has been closed.